BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP is FULL (of motivation!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-08-24 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3442771

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Destination MoP is FULL (of motivation!)

Erin -

If you're not already doing so, I'd certainly recommend doing some core / back exercises.  I struggle with back issues quite a bit, and general strengthening of core / back muscles has definitely made a difference for me (and when I don't do them, as has been the case recently, it starts creeping back).  Also, if your daily routine has changed recently - difference office chair, new couch, different car, etc., make sure there isn't something ergonomically that is creating the issue.  Also, if you're yoga inclined, I believe that can make a difference - pidgeon pose in particular was helpful for some leftside lower back / leg issues I was having at one point.

Stu

2011-08-24 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I'm doing the full commute for the next two weeks in prep for Nation's Tri.  That means I bike to and from work the whole way.  Normally, I get dropped off a little closer to work in the morning and then ride all the way home.

This morning I dutifully left the house a bit early and rode all the way in (9.1 miles).  Then I needed to go downtown to drop off some papers for work (rather than trust them to our internal delivery system).  So I hopped on a Capital Bikeshare bike instead of waiting for the shuttle.  Overall riding a bike takes about 5-10 minutes longer than the shuttle.  Dropped off my papers and rode back.  Total roundtrip = 6.6 miles.  49 minutes of bike riding time.

Bikeshare bikes are TANKS.  They weigh about 40 lbs.  Even though I probably never got much above 10 mph, I'm pretty tuckered out.  I was planning on a swim today but don't think that's in the cards after my Bikeshare workout.

2011-08-25 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran

It's great to see everyone's race experiences.  It's encouraging to me that you've had such varied experiences but come out of them with positive attitudes and raring to go again.

My Sprint tri approaches, 2.5 weeks (9/11)...I'm getting excited and nervous.  My main goal is to finish.  My "reach" goal is 2 hours.   

The swim (1/2 mile) - will get done one way or the other and I'm not too worried about it other than the threat of getting kicked hard or something.  I expect to be competitive in the water.  I will start off to the side, but not at the back.

The bike (12 miles) - is long for my training.  I've done the distance once and felt OK after.  It's also pretty flat, so I guess that helps.  My hybrid and my lack of bike training means that I expect to see many fly by me on the road.

The run (5K) - is on wide dirt trails.  I've heard it's rolling, so the unknown on that concerns me.  I've run 5 miles, so the distance should be OK.  I've done some short bricks so I know I can run after a ride.  I'm mostly nervous about not pushing hard enough on the run.

2011-08-26 6:47 PM

User image

Expert
Hi Everyone - just a quick note to say please stay safe this weekend for those of you in the path of the storm.  Looks like a bunch of MoPers are in for a wild ride.  Take care!
2011-08-27 7:51 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Great job everyone on the races!  Rachel... because of your report I am feeling a little better about my OLY coming up.  When I look at the total distances fear comes over me like a wave, but to know others, such as yourself did and finished helps me ride tha wave of fear and conquer it!  My OLY is on 9/11 in San Diego and I am really looking forward to it.  Plus the vacation days afterward.  Thanks for sharing!
2011-08-27 7:57 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Our front door is apparently a revolving door...got our middlest daughter off to Florida for school.  She must miss us because she has called everyday and shared her stories of seeing flamingos and alligators just wandering around!  The littlest daughter is back from her training trips and the oldest left to go back to San Diego with the grandbaby.  Seems like things have settled some and my training distances are getting better.  Doing a 10k doesn't hurt as much as the first time and if I take it slow I can manage without walking! Woot woot!

Thank you Stu for allowing us to stay on until October...the mentor group has played such a huge roll in my training...just allowing me to ramble on about training and life in general always puts thing in perspective. 

Hope everyone's races went well this weekend! 

2011-08-27 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3654916

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
hoffsquared - 2011-08-23 7:21 AM

Cynthia - Congratulations on your race!  On the podium too!  Sounds like all your training has paid of with nice time improvements.  Especially the 4 minutes on the run.

Rachel - Sounds like you had a really good race and that your training partner really needed you.  Nice time on the bike given the turns and roundabouts.  Also managing freestyle for the entire 1500m is pretty cool.

I have three weeks until Nations Tri (olympic distance).  So next two weeks will be more intense than usual.  Today is recovery run.

Thanks Melanie.  Hey is this your first OLY distance?
2011-08-28 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3662330

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Thanks Melanie.  Hey is this your first OLY distance?

It will be my third OLY distance.  We'll see how it goes.  Training is getting to be a bit hit or miss lately....

2011-08-28 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3662329

User image

Expert
SportzVision - 2011-08-27 8:57 PM

Our front door is apparently a revolving door...got our middlest daughter off to Florida for school.  She must miss us because she has called everyday and shared her stories of seeing flamingos and alligators just wandering around!  The littlest daughter is back from her training trips and the oldest left to go back to San Diego with the grandbaby.  Seems like things have settled some and my training distances are getting better.  Doing a 10k doesn't hurt as much as the first time and if I take it slow I can manage without walking! Woot woot!

Thank you Stu for allowing us to stay on until October...the mentor group has played such a huge roll in my training...just allowing me to ramble on about training and life in general always puts thing in perspective. 

Hope everyone's races went well this weekend! 

Ramble on anytime, Cynthia.  Hey, where's your daughter going to school in Florida?  My Mom lives in Florida, so I get down there fairly regularly.  Your mention of the alligators reminded me of one time when my daughter and I went out on a bike ride together when she was maybe 13 or so and our destination was one of the nature reserves where they have bike/walking trails.  So we went down the path, not expecting much excitement and we passed one alligator about 3 feet off the path... I'm trying to stay calm so my daughter doesn't freak out... and I'm starting to think maybe this wasn't such a good idea and maybe we should turn around, but of course, I KNOW there's an alligator back there... so we keep going... anyway, we ended up passing 6 alligators very near the path.  As it turned out, no problems... but I've decided that I won't be doing any triathlons in Florida :-)

So, I just finished up a 14 mile run today which brings my weekly total to 36 miles (most ever).  Honestly, I'm exhausted and I know why triathlons appeal to me more than single sports.  I like the variety.  Anyway, my hat is off to those of you in the group who have trained for and run a marathon.  I can see now (not even halfway through the training program), that this is going to be very difficult for me.

Hope everyone got through the hurricane safely.  We have some friends who had a tree fall on their house and we still haven't heard back from our in-laws in New Jersey who couldn't keep up with their flooding basement.  I imagine things were pretty nasty in New England. 

Cheers,

Stu

2011-08-29 11:36 AM

User image

Expert

Good, to the point, article on improving bike speed:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2341

2011-08-29 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3663190

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Ramble on anytime, Cynthia.  Hey, where's your daughter going to school in Florida?  My Mom lives in Florida, so I get down there fairly regularly.  Your mention of the alligators reminded me of one time when my daughter and I went out on a bike ride together when she was maybe 13 or so and our destination was one of the nature reserves where they have bike/walking trails.  So we went down the path, not expecting much excitement and we passed one alligator about 3 feet off the path... I'm trying to stay calm so my daughter doesn't freak out... and I'm starting to think maybe this wasn't such a good idea and maybe we should turn around, but of course, I KNOW there's an alligator back there... so we keep going... anyway, we ended up passing 6 alligators very near the path.  As it turned out, no problems... but I've decided that I won't be doing any triathlons in Florida :-)

So, I just finished up a 14 mile run today which brings my weekly total to 36 miles (most ever).  Honestly, I'm exhausted and I know why triathlons appeal to me more than single sports.  I like the variety.  Anyway, my hat is off to those of you in the group who have trained for and run a marathon.  I can see now (not even halfway through the training program), that this is going to be very difficult for me.

Hope everyone got through the hurricane safely.  We have some friends who had a tree fall on their house and we still haven't heard back from our in-laws in New Jersey who couldn't keep up with their flooding basement.  I imagine things were pretty nasty in New England. 

Cheers,

Stu

SIX Alligators!  That is just so freaky sounding to me...we have itty bitty lizards at the most. She is in the middle of FL, Lake Wales, playing basketball on a scholarship at Warner University, a small Christian school.  The selling point for her was the major in Media communications.  

Wow 14 miles!  That is a great run...I am still at the doing a 10K once a week.  Someday it will be the short run and 14 miles will be my long...someday far, far away!  Great job Stu! You got this!

2011-08-30 8:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Alligators on a run?! No thanks!

I swam for the first time in a long time today. I decided to time a 1000 yd pool swim thinking that it might be comparable some how to the 1/2 mile OWS for my sprint on 9/11. I seem to have really dialed in the 1:45/100yd pace. My time was 17:30, lol...

My garmin arrived today. I've charged it and played with settings. It got dark before I could use it. I'll try it tomorrow.
2011-09-01 7:05 AM
in reply to: #3666701

User image

Expert
Falls Church

rustymom - 2011-08-30 8:46 PM 

I swam for the first time in a long time today. I decided to time a 1000 yd pool swim thinking that it might be comparable some how to the 1/2 mile OWS for my sprint on 9/11. I seem to have really dialed in the 1:45/100yd pace. My time was 17:30, lol...

Nice swim!  My guess is that you won't be too far off that mark during your race.

2011-09-02 6:48 AM

User image

Expert

rustymom - 2011-08-30 9:46 PM Alligators on a run?! No thanks!

My garmin arrived today. I've charged it and played with settings. It got dark before I could use it. I'll try it tomorrow.

Well, not having to swim over people takes all the fun out of it, but 1:45 sounds like a good pace.  As a swimmer, you want to come out feeling fairly fresh - like you just warmed up.  It's our only advantage!  When I first started, I swam it like a race which probably wasn't the way to go (at least not for me).

Have fun with the Garmin - other than my bike, that is my most important piece of sports equipment.

Anyone have a Labor Day race this weekend?  Or just cleaning up after Irene?  Hope you all have a great Labor Day weekend :-)

Stu

2011-09-02 7:29 AM

User image

Expert

It's September.  How did THAT happen?

August went reasonably well for me other than weight gain.  Made the transition from Tri training to Marathon training. 

Three main goals for Sept:

1) Stick to the marathon plan - really hitting the meat (potato if you're vegetarian) of the plan this month.  Survive the long runs!

2) Get one good swim and bike in each week so that I have the option of doing Giant Acorn Tri (OLY) in 4 weeks.

3) Lose what I gained in August.  Dang.

How did you all do?  If you're transitioning to off-season, what will keep you motivated?  Where do you want to be next year when the season begins?

Stu

2011-09-02 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3670351

Maine

Hello Everyone,

I am sorry that I have been quiet lately, but August was a nightmare. My training was an epic fail, and I mean that very comically. I did not lack motivation, but what I did lack was time. I know the old saying you can fit in a workout here and there, and believe you me I tried, but with work and life, it didn't workout. We wound up moving my grandmother in with us, but in order to do so, my husband and I gutted and completely rebuilt a bedroom and bathroom for her to use. That was most of my August. She's in and settled and the kids have gone back to school. We were without power from Sunday AM until Tuesday, and fortunately we had a generator to operate the well, fridge, freezer, hotwater and a few outlets. I hope everyone on the east coast fared ok.

So my plans for the HIM are to finish, and I will be happy. 8+ days, and I'm crunching in a long ride this weekend. The 10 day forcast is calling for rain, oh well. There's still plenty of time for that to change. I need to fit in a long swim if possible in my wetsuit, swimming has completely fallen off my radar, and the run, well.... There's always hope for next year. At least my baseline for the HIM will be something I will be able to improve upon.

The good news is, I think gear wise, I'm ready. The air has changed drastically, and we are being gifted with cooler nights, and cooler days (also shorter days).

Erin mentioned that she'd be volunteering for the HIM race, so it will be nice to have some support, and of course, volunteers are essential to any race. So I'm thrilled she will be there. As she mentioned, we are doing a relay together in October and that will be fun.

The rest of my fall will be dictated by how I fare with the HIM and what my body feels like afterward. My goal for next year will be to complete the same HIM race and probably new Rev3 Oly in Maine.

Happy September racing!

Christine

2011-09-02 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran

It sounds like a few of us have races on 9/11.  The 10 day forecast is showing rain here, too.  We'll see.

After my tri, I will concentrate on running.  I'm eyeing a 5K or 5M trail race in mid-Oct and a CC 5K in early Nov, but haven't signed up.  Biking is already a mess with braches and leaves.  The nuts will soon follow, and I mostly mean acorns, not nutty drivers!  I will try to swim a few times a month through the winter.

I'm hoping Santa will bring me a trainer and that I'll add indoor cycling with the new year.  I'll sign up for some indoor tris as they appear in Jan-April.  I already got a notice that registration is open for one.

2011-09-02 12:11 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Twisted my ankle...heard a horrible grinding sound when it happened; no bueno.  Paige,having been a student worker with athletic training at her college, wrapped my leg and got the ice on it for me and prescribed 24 hours rest.  Yooo?  Does that mean I can run on it in my race on Sunday? No and out  the door she went.  This is not good at all!  

I will have to miss my race this weekend to heal for my A race on the 11th.  My foot looks pretty bruised and swollen, I did not call in sick to work as my daughter prescribed, that would just look bad on a long weekend, but I will get the foot up and on ice tonight.

UGH!!!
2011-09-02 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3670900

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
rustymom - 2011-09-02 12:01 PM

It sounds like a few of us have races on 9/11.  The 10 day forecast is showing rain here, too.  We'll see.

After my tri, I will concentrate on running.  I'm eyeing a 5K or 5M trail race in mid-Oct and a CC 5K in early Nov, but haven't signed up.  Biking is already a mess with braches and leaves.  The nuts will soon follow, and I mostly mean acorns, not nutty drivers!  I will try to swim a few times a month through the winter.

I'm hoping Santa will bring me a trainer and that I'll add indoor cycling with the new year.  I'll sign up for some indoor tris as they appear in Jan-April.  I already got a notice that registration is open for one.

Good luck on your race this weekend!  I am hoping the Great Pumpkin brings my trainer...we get two weeks of fall and then winter hits!

2011-09-02 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3670711

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
christineakendall - 2011-09-02 10:22 AM

Hello Everyone,

I am sorry that I have been quiet lately, but August was a nightmare. My training was an epic fail, and I mean that very comically. I did not lack motivation, but what I did lack was time. I know the old saying you can fit in a workout here and there, and believe you me I tried, but with work and life, it didn't workout. We wound up moving my grandmother in with us, but in order to do so, my husband and I gutted and completely rebuilt a bedroom and bathroom for her to use. That was most of my August. She's in and settled and the kids have gone back to school. We were without power from Sunday AM until Tuesday, and fortunately we had a generator to operate the well, fridge, freezer, hotwater and a few outlets. I hope everyone on the east coast fared ok.

So my plans for the HIM are to finish, and I will be happy. 8+ days, and I'm crunching in a long ride this weekend. The 10 day forcast is calling for rain, oh well. There's still plenty of time for that to change. I need to fit in a long swim if possible in my wetsuit, swimming has completely fallen off my radar, and the run, well.... There's always hope for next year. At least my baseline for the HIM will be something I will be able to improve upon.

The good news is, I think gear wise, I'm ready. The air has changed drastically, and we are being gifted with cooler nights, and cooler days (also shorter days).

Erin mentioned that she'd be volunteering for the HIM race, so it will be nice to have some support, and of course, volunteers are essential to any race. So I'm thrilled she will be there. As she mentioned, we are doing a relay together in October and that will be fun.

The rest of my fall will be dictated by how I fare with the HIM and what my body feels like afterward. My goal for next year will be to complete the same HIM race and probably new Rev3 Oly in Maine.

Happy September racing!

Christine

Good luck on your race this weekend Christine!  A goal is a goal and the goal to finish is great!

2011-09-02 4:22 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

September Goals

Finish the OLY in San Diego

Lay out my plan for strength training during the off season

Start a new job...ha ha.. had my interview yesterday and it seemed to go ok...fingers crossed.  Good news, when the VP heard I had an interview, she said we must work something out and offer me a promotion! And, she was serious! Woot woot!  

2011-09-02 4:22 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

rustymom - 2011-08-30 8:46 PM Alligators on a run?! No thanks!

That is a mighty impressive time!  Way to go!

2011-09-03 6:52 AM
in reply to: #3670924

User image

Expert
Falls Church
SportzVision - 2011-09-02 12:11 PM
Twisted my ankle...heard a horrible grinding sound when it happened; no bueno.  Paige,having been a student worker with athletic training at her college, wrapped my leg and got the ice on it for me and prescribed 24 hours rest.  Yooo?  Does that mean I can run on it in my race on Sunday? No and out  the door she went.  This is not good at all!  

I will have to miss my race this weekend to heal for my A race on the 11th.  My foot looks pretty bruised and swollen, I did not call in sick to work as my daughter prescribed, that would just look bad on a long weekend, but I will get the foot up and on ice tonight.

UGH!!!
Go have it x-rayed. I walked around and biked on what i thought was a 'sprained' ankle for two weeks. Wasn't really getting better so I finally went in to the doctor. Broken. Two years later there are still some times when I move just so and it says 'ouch'. The positive of the recovery - I focused on my core. Has done wonders for subsequent training.
2011-09-03 6:55 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Good luck christine on your HIM this coming weekend. Sounds like a very busy, jumbled August. Take comfort in the cooler weather and knowing that you're doing something that most people would never even attempt. All your training will pay off.
2011-09-03 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3671709

Maine
Thank you Melanie!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP is FULL (of motivation!) Rss Feed  

of 35