BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2012-04-02 10:47 PM
in reply to: #4124924

Subject: RE: FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed

Foggy, thanks for keeping me honest!

I've been running slowly a few times a week- trying to avoid these dang shin splints. I've been to Marathon Sports (also when the podiatrist was in) and went with their recommendation of Gel Kayano. Same shoe I ran in many years ago. I really need to be honest with the bike and ride it a lot more. My main focus is the Buffalo Tri (s: 440 yd/ b: 12 mi/ r: 3 mi). I have a lot to learn since this is my first tri.

What type of outfit is recommended...that's in a reasonable price range?

Should I consider nutrition?

Do you cycle sockless? I don't think I could run sockless- have very sensitive feet/shins. I've considered attempting to switch my running form into a more forefoot landing with the Newton shoes.

I swam a 500 yd in 10:45 (2:08/ 100 yd)  . Didn't race it but took it comfortably. I have a fair amount of time that needs to be chopped off there and hit the bike hard the next two months. I'll be in Alaska the first week and Hibbing, MN the last 3 weeks in May for a rotation. Just learned about this a week ago . Not sure how much swimming I'll be able to do that last few weeks before the Tri.

I'll also have to rent a wet suit and learn that.

2012-04-03 6:41 AM
in reply to: #4126194

User image

Veteran
Toronto, Canada

If you aren't able to run sockless, i would just spend the time in T1 putting on socks and you've got it for both.

Whichever way you are training, you should use in the race as well.  Nothing new should be done on race day.

Outfit range....i myself like the 2 pc (top and shorts).  I have a TYR Carbon top and bottom that I like and also have Saucony shorts as well.  To my first couple races i just wore the Saucony tri shorts and a fitted cut-off shirt made by Nike.  I got the TYR Carbon on sale during black friday (no way in hell am i paying full price for it).

Keep up with the workouts...getting something in is better than nothing!

--------

Lazy day for me yesterday.  I was recovering from Sundays run and didn't have the energy for anything.  I did speak with the wife and we MIGHT be trying to take a vacation down south in May (right before race season and a week after my half marathon!).  Time to hit up the weights a little bit more to get somewhat of a beach body going Tongue out

2012-04-03 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3945983

User image

Expert

So this morning I rolled out of the rack at 4:40 a.m. to go for a run.  Was a very nice morning to do so and was enjoying my run.  Planned on 4 Miles and looking to turn negative splits.  Started out at a 10:50 min/mile pace at the first half mile.  Whittled it down to an average 9:44 min/mile pace over 4 miles so I was very happy with that.  Like I said I'm not fast, but I'm determined.

Oddly enough somewhere between miles 2 and 3 I realized that today I had planned as a bike workout day, tomorrow was supposed to be my run.  So it looks like a two a day for me today and another run tomorrow.

Coincidentally I also surpassed another milestone weighin in at 219.2.  Goodbye 220 it was nice knowing you.  Hope we don't ever meet again.

Great day, hope ya'lls is too.

2012-04-03 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4126528

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-04-03 2:21 PM

2012-04-03 3:31 PM

Veteran
Minneapolis
mrbeachbum2 - 2012-04-02 10:47 PM

What type of outfit is recommended...that's in a reasonable price range?

Do you cycle sockless? I don't think I could run sockless- have very sensitive feet/shins. I've considered attempting to switch my running form into a more forefoot landing with the Newton shoes.

I did my first race last year - next month will be my 2nd. I got my 1-piece trisuit on the clearance rack at REI for about $60-70. I tried on 2-piece suits but I'm pretty squishy from all my past weight loss (down about 80lbs on a 5' 4" frame so far) and I found the 2 piece just made me feel self-conscious. The 1 piece makes me look a lot leaner than I am! LOL

I feel the same re: running barefoot. I would get all kinds of hot spots & blisters. I took the time to put socks on during T1. I also didn't use bike-specific shoes, so I just biked in my running shoes. I'm contemplating the same questions this year, but I think I'm still gonna go the sock route. I'm pretty slow & don't consider myself to be so much racing to win as just "racing" myself & trying to get a PR, so it's worth it to me to take the time, put on socks, & be comfortable rather than shaving off some seconds in transition but being so uncomfortable on the run that I lose time anyway. One tip if you decide to wear socks: roll the socks down to the toe so when you put your wet feet in them you can just roll them up over your foot. Have the socks rolled pre-start of race. Also PRACTICE this during your pre-race training. It takes a few attempts to get the hang of it and will save you time in transition!

Edited by QueerDrummer 2012-04-03 3:32 PM

2012-04-03 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4126528

Veteran
Minneapolis
dsand97 - 2012-04-03 8:16 AM

So this morning I rolled out of the rack at 4:40 a.m. to go for a run.  Was a very nice morning to do so and was enjoying my run.  Planned on 4 Miles and looking to turn negative splits.  Started out at a 10:50 min/mile pace at the first half mile.  Whittled it down to an average 9:44 min/mile pace over 4 miles so I was very happy with that.  Like I said I'm not fast, but I'm determined.

Oddly enough somewhere between miles 2 and 3 I realized that today I had planned as a bike workout day, tomorrow was supposed to be my run.  So it looks like a two a day for me today and another run tomorrow.

Coincidentally I also surpassed another milestone weighin in at 219.2.  Goodbye 220 it was nice knowing you.  Hope we don't ever meet again.

Great day, hope ya'lls is too.

Congrats on the weight loss! I was back down to 159 a few days ago, back UP to 163 today. Damn water weight. :P

2012-04-03 5:47 PM

Veteran
Waterford, MI.
X2 on the aloe vera juice.  I tried it due to Foggys recommendation and sure enough, the shins are doing pretty good.  I don't know if it's the placebo effect or what, but at this point I don't care.Wink
2012-04-03 10:19 PM

Veteran
Minneapolis

Created a strength-training workout today and tried out Day 1 (of 2) after work, in addition to an 8-mile stationary bike workout. I really enjoyed the strength-training, but it was challenging! I have never really done "lighter weight, higher rep" type lifting, so there's a bit of a learning curve and I may reduce the number of exercises and/or the amount of weight. Tonight was 10 exercises (push/legs/pull/legs/shoulders/push/legs/pull/legs/triceps) and I did 2 sets aiming for the 12-15 rep range. After over 90 minutes in the gym (I did a few core strengthening exercises too) I wasn't sure I could find my way home! LOL 

But I did, and was rewarded with chocolate milk, & toast w/ PB & banana for dinner! :D

Edited by QueerDrummer 2012-04-03 10:20 PM
2012-04-04 2:14 AM

Veteran
N.Ireland

My progression is going really well, physio last night and I was able to do all the exercises with no pain still a bit tender today after the deep tissue massage but I will be back in the game next week.

I'm taking no chances and waiting for a full recovery....

2012-04-04 6:33 AM

Veteran
Toronto, Canada

QD,  good job in the ST.

Robbie, good idea on FULLY recovering.

I had a rough 7km run yesterday.  Had some hills and my calves were still sore from my LSD run on Sunday.  Lots of walking involved.  But still got the work done.  Even jumped on the bike/trainer for 20 minutes to slowly recover. 

I did just realize that my first half marathon is less than 5 weeks away! Surprised

2012-04-04 8:00 AM

Veteran
Minneapolis
Have a great day, everyone! After last night's long workout my body is dreading the 2.5 mi run & 1350m swim scheduled for today, but I know I can do it! It's not *all* that much, after all. And I really need to get that running base back, if just from a mental standpoint (physically it *should* be fine LOL).
2012-04-04 8:19 AM

Expert

Well I got my two a day done yesterday and learned some lessons.

1.  Always drive a new bike route.  So you don't get lost, and you make sure the streets are completed.  I got lost twice yesterday and one of the streets I was supposed to use had yet to actually be completed.  So that slowed me down and added to the mileage.  What was supposed to be a 17 mile ride turned in to a 21.5 mile ride.

2.  Always take water with you.  I typically don't worry about hydration yet unless the activity is supposed to go longer than an hour.  This one should have been right at an hour but with my decreased speed, and extra miles it went over and my mouth was a little parched at the end of it.

All that said I still finished with a respectable training speed of 17 mph.  Again rolled out of the rack this morning and turned negative splits on every mile of my 4 mile run this morning.  There was a slight chill in the air this morning and it felt great.  Rest my legs up tonight.  Sleep in tomorrow morning and then get a good bike ride in tomorrow afternoon.

2012-04-04 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4129089

2012-04-04 2:05 PM

Expert
Yes indeed the good ol' bricks.  When blood in your legs is in all the wrong places once its time to run, and you feel like you're always about to fall for the first 1/2 mile or so.
2012-04-05 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4130155

2012-04-05 3:05 PM

Veteran
Minneapolis

I survived last nights' workout! Not fast, mind you, but completed. Had to do a "backwards brick" with the 2.5 mile "run" (not sure all of you would call my speed running, although I did negative split every 1/4 mile) immediately followed by Masters Swim class (1350m). Had a crushing headache going into the run, which running did NOT help. Wasn't sure I could manage the swim, but the headache actually receeded to a dull ache in the pool which was nice. Hopped a bus home & started trying to make a mountain of food (which is never fast enough when we need it) and got the "YOU ARE CRABBY, EAT SOMETHING!" lecture from my fiance. To which, of course, I replied "I'M TRYING!!!!"  Oooops. Had to grab a bowl of cereal while my chicken was grilling, and then go apologize.

A couple more hours of work, and then off for my long ride.

Foggy: Almost through Week 1 of the training plan and it feels good! Definitely pushing my limits to get ready for May 5, but I'm very pleased with my fitness level just jumping in. Thanks for all your help! (what gym are you checking out)

2012-04-05 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4132754

2012-04-05 3:32 PM

Veteran
N.Ireland

Everyone is flying!!

That's criminal price, I'm paying 28$ a month for the pool, sauna, jazcuzzi, steam room and Gym, its a well set up place but I get that deal through work.

2012-04-05 9:14 PM
in reply to: #4128882

Veteran
Minneapolis

DANG Foggy! $138/mo? I'm stretching my budget @ $55/mo at the YWCA but at least it's a block from my work and only a mile+ from home. Definitely important that you enjoy the atmosphere though.

Did 14.5+ on the Cedar Lake Trail tonight. Was anybody else out? It was a good bit chillier than I would have liked, but miles logged are miles logged. Averaged somewhere between 14-16 mph. Gonna get my computer reinstalled by Monday at the latest! Gotta love working for a Catholic school cos we get a 4 day weekend for easter! :D

Tomorrow is some strength training and then a 10 mile ride with my mom. Gonna work on technique with her, so it will be less of a training ride for me, but again, still logging miles.  

2012-04-06 2:56 AM

Veteran
N.Ireland

I'm off today and all next week for easter, I'm currently back to light strengthen of the calfs which now have no pain

Will be heading out on the yak tomorrow plan on doing about 10 miles of a paddle then on Monday the tri club has its first open water swim which will set me up for getting back into my swim routine.

Streching and strengthening all over each day, and my first run is scheduled next thur a light 3 miles followed by a light 10 mile on Sat.

I'm sitting in my living room in my wet suite typing this, tri really does make us act in weird ways....lol.

2012-04-06 7:20 AM

Expert

That is one dedicated triathlete to be sitting in his living room in a wetsuit...hahahaha

Got a good ride in yesterday afternoon.  20 miles in a little over an hour.  Need to work on negative splits on my bike and definately need to check wind direction.  That head wind is a beast sometimes.  Not to mention cycling in the aptly named hill country of Texas has its challenges.

Woke up this morning at 4:40 and hit the ground running.  Got in a good pace and picked it up the entire way turning negative splits with every half mile over 4.5 miles.  Felt great.  Longish run tomorrow morning and a long Sunday ride with friends.  They're all newer to biking than me....is it wrong of me to want to lock them in the "pain box" on the second half of the ride....hahaha.

Hope everyone has a great Easter.  Stay out of your kids Easter basket, most of us don't have the metabolism for chocolate bunnies anymore.

2012-04-06 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4133314

2012-04-06 5:05 PM

Veteran
N.Ireland
Lol, its called withdrawl syndrome.....
2012-04-06 7:13 PM

Veteran
Waterford, MI.

Question for ya all.

I'm doing a ride tomorrow morning that should be around 5 hours.  When we are planning on leaving it's supposed to be 29 degrees and by the time we get done it could be low 60's.  I know how to dress for the temps we are supposed to have but with a 30 degree temp swing I'll have to shed some layers for sure.  The problem is it's a unsupported out and back, so no stopping at the cars to drop off clothes as temps start to climb.

Do I suck it up and take a backpack to put clothes in as the temps go up?  I'm not a fan of that idea but I can't think of any other options.

What say you???

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 32