BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2013-02-12 7:45 PM
in reply to: #4619354

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.
KateTri1 - 2013-02-12 2:40 PM
kmatt318 - 2013-02-12 2:01 PM

anthalynn - 2013-02-12 12:39 PM I needed to write and tell people who understand that I had the most aweful trainer ride last night. Everything hurt more than other times and I simply didn't have motivation. I did manage to finish the ride, 44miles, but barely. Here's to hoping next week is better. After work I'll be off for mile 10 mile long run.

A 44 mile ride on a trainer?  You are a rock star.  That's awesome.  Congrats.

X2 Way to go!

x1000.  And then a 10 miler after work?  TOTAL ROCK STAR!  Ok, that settles it.  I've had a long hard day but if Sam can do 44 miles on a trainer, I'm gonna get my butt on it for 30 min before bed.

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

anthalynn - 2013-02-12 12:39 PM I needed to write and tell people who understand that I had the most aweful trainer ride last night. Everything hurt more than other times and I simply didn't have motivation. I did manage to finish the ride, 44miles, but barely. Here's to hoping next week is better. After work I'll be off for mile 10 mile long run.

X2 Way to go!

x1000.  And then a 10 miler after work?  TOTAL ROCK STAR!  Ok, that settles it.  I've had a long hard day but if Sam can do 44 miles on a trainer, I'm gonna get my butt on it for 30 min before bed.

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

X2 Way to go!

2013-02-12 9:11 PM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Veteran

Thanks so much for all the encouragement. After reading the posts I realized how easy it is to see myself in the worst light. I was being pretty hard on myself for how hard it was and was discouraged. But knowing all y'alls different perspectives helped so much. And I'm glad my ride motivated Pam to get on her bike - I do believe all my struggle and pain was worth it since you seemed to benefit.

10 mile run went well today. My pace is still very slow but I felt strong and never felt the overwhelming urge to walk, which means I did a good job pacing myself. Very happy about that. Stopped to pet a beautiful bulldog (he was such a little beast), then I watched the sunset over the lake and it was one of the most beautiful sunsets I've seen in quite some time. Since the sun has been hiding behind clouds it was refreshing. I also called 911 to report a deer in the road that was clearly alive but not able to move. They were already on their way, and about 15 minutes later I'm pretty sure I heard a gunshot. Sad reality.

So while I was on the ride of death last night I was watching IM Kona 2010 and there was quite a bit of footage about the people who didn't make it. Some missed the cut-off times, some apparently bonked hard-core during some part of the race and others I don't know what happened. It got me thinking and asking how that happens? How do people not make it? I guess it is a fear I find myself fighting against and I don't want to be that gal who just doesn't quit make it. When I see these people I assume they trained and wonder if they trained more than I'm gonna train. If that's the case who says I'm doing enough. Or maybe they didn't nail their nutrition for the day, but how does that happen if they trained correctly? Anyway, I think you get my point. This is just a rambling, but if anyone has thoughts it might be an interesting discussion. Or not

Swim class tomorrow, woohoo!

2013-02-13 6:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Samantha, when I watch races like Kona, I ask myself the same questions.  I think it could be a combination of missing on nutrition, changes in conditions (hotter than planned), or simply going out too fast.  

So many times when we toes the line to start a race we take off with the sound of the gun and expend way too much energy at the start and the first half of a race.  We forget that this is going to be a long day and we need to pace ourselves.  

Keeping those things in mind will allow you train and prepare

2013-02-13 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

I've got some bad news   I was playing basketball last night and while playing I heard the dreaded "Pop" out of my achilles tendon.  The good news is that I didn't tear it completely..or else, I'd probably be getting ready for surgery right now.  The bad news is that I partially tore it which means 4-6 weeks of recovery time.  I have 2 HM's during those 6 weeks and I'm hoping to find a way to do them.  I can suddenly really relate to Steve's frustration with his shoulder...hopefully I can be as disciplined as he has been thus far!

Hope you all have a better day than I am today.  I suspect this will be a self pity party day lol.

2013-02-13 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Jay, that is awful. Is it 4-6 weeks of inactivity, not even swimming? I've never had the issue, but hopefully someone here can chime in with some good advice. You need to get better and do Patriot!
2013-02-13 8:33 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Steve -- Need your help in re-planning my training plan. With the various ups/downs I've had recently, training has been choppy at best. So, I'm thinking I may need to adjust what I'm doing, or at least evaluate where things are. I still have 4+ months to the race, and feel I have plenty of time to remedy the situation

I'm using the Fink 30 Week Competitive IM plan, but only the first 22 weeks which is where he has a HIM planned. Calendar wise I am in the middle of week 4. Realistically, I've only been hitting 50% of the workouts, and was thinking I may be better off doing a few different things to adjust. I could just pick up the plan where I should be, and move on (would be missing base 1 phase), start over at week 2 and go from there (no taper week at race time, though), possibly keep going to week 5, but do the workouts at 75% volume for a week and then continue as planned. There are other ideas out there, but not sure what you think would be best.

2013-02-13 8:34 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Deferred yesterday's run until late afternoon and avoided the wooded/park areas, but had a very good one.  Steve, hoping I didn't go overboard, but do want to continue to encourage my legs to turn over a bit faster and not fall back into slogging mode.  Anway, 1 mi ez, 2 mi @ 8:30, 1 mi ez, 2 mi @ 8:30, 1 mi ez.  The 8:30's came in a bit faster and legs felt great.

Samantha, in tackling a huge goal, it's only natural to have anxiety, fear of failure, etc.  You do the work to the best of your ability, you go in with a good race plan, but there is still the very real possibility that the day will not end in "victory".  The bigger the goal, the bigger the possibility looms.  But here's my perspective. Fair warning, I'm going to get spritual here:   

There is more than one kind of victory, and I believe God can use our failures as well as our victories for good.  Spraining my ankle in what I had hoped would be my first sub 2:00 hour HM was definitely not part of my race plan.  But that day stands out in my memory as being one of the best because I was so totally overwhelmed with the kindness extended to me by total strangers out on the course.  I had received other messages around that time about how I was not very accepting of help from others, but honestly, it took that to make it sink in.  One more chunk of ugly pride gone.  Fast forward through several weeks of ankle rehab and no running, to not quite 2 months later.  Ran that sub 2:00 with another insulin dependent friend along the ocean in Carlsbad, CA.  We had never run together.  It was the first time under 2:00 for both of us, and in the most beautiful setting.  I pushed us during the first part of the race, and she pushed us at the end.  I never knew there could be such teamwork in an individual sport!  It was a true mountain top experience, and further cemented the accepting help from others theme.  I would not trade for the way that all played out.

I love planning and thinking about an upcoming race, and still find it difficult to balance that with surrendering the process to God along the way at times.  But when I arrive at the starting line, I tell God that I sure would like to have a good race, but that the day belongs to Him even if that means me falling flat on my face.  I thank Him that Jesus has already won the race that counts for all eternity.  There is a huge amount of freedom in that, and puts it in perspective for me.  Am I still keyed up and ready to go?, you bet!  But I'm only responsible for the input, not the outcome.

2013-02-13 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Samantha -- as I approached my first HIM last year, I was struck by a case of the panics/freak-outs about 8 weeks out from the race. Just couldn't imagine I was near ready, or my training was on track given all the crazy workouts I saw other doing, and hearing/reading things about folks going 5:15 or under in their race, etc. I was in a rut of thinking I wasn't doing enough, it wasn't good enough, etc etc. An ugly spiral, no doubt.

In an attempt to keep my sanity, I reached out to a couple of the highly experienced racers here on BT -- completely out of the blue just sent them a message about what I was doing, and what was going on.  both responded with great enthusiam and support and assured me what I was experiencing was completely normal, and both had going through it more than once. Best advice was to concentrate on what I could do for the race -- long run/bikes, nutrition plan, course awareness, and then just go out, enjoy the day, take a moment to reflect on the true awesomeness of what you are doing, and have fun. I can't think of anything better to tell you. Make the day yours, know you've done what you can to get to the starting line, and now go out and have a great day.

2013-02-13 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Well said Mike D!

2013-02-13 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Just got back from the doctor...confirmed my diagnosis....I'm on the shelf for 4-8 weeks.  Thankfully, my primary care is an IM finisher so he doesn't play games.  I was told that I could swim (thanks Mike for putting that in my head earlier!) and lift weights but running/biking are out.  If kick hurts while swimming, I'll take Steve's swim advice and use all upper body to focus on stroke/balance.

Next step is an appointment with a sports med doctor.  I guess they'll do an MRI and I'll go from there.  I've read that achilles injuries are slow healing because of lack of blood flow so I'm wearing compression socks as much as possible.  Now, I fight for my 3/19 HM...that's the one I do to help fight SMA so its highly unlikely I won't risk injury to do it. 

2013-02-13 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Jay - if anything at least you know what you are dealing with and your doc certainly understands what your motivations are. Thats great.

As for the pool -- I'd suggest using a pull bouy every time you get in the pool. Serves a few purposes. First it essentially immobilizes your legs since you are using them to hold the bouy. Second it will enforce some ideas about what balance in the water should feel like. Third, it will let you work on stroke technique in a whole new way. You'll be a fish by the time this is healed.
2013-02-13 4:10 PM
in reply to: #4620369

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
squirt - 2013-02-13 9:34 AM

But I'm only responsible for the input, not the outcome.

That is a quote for everything in life.  Very well said, Carol.  Have they caught the escapee yet?

Oh my, did my post from last night really post a gazillion times?  I'm so sorry!

Jay, I'm just shaking my head over here.  You and my hubby are long lost brothers.  I can't talk sense to hubby and I know that I won't be able to talk sense to you.  But BE CAREFUL.  Mike that is great advice about the pool buoy.

2013-02-13 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Oh man Jay.  Please be careful.  I broke my foot last year during Ironman California training and I did not let it heal enough.  I did compete and finish the Ironman but then I was down for over 9 months! 

I'm glad your doc is like minded!   Took me a while to find the right people.

2013-02-13 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Pam: That's not the first time you've told me that your hubby and I are cut from the same cloth.  If that is true, you and my wife must be saints!

Carol: I don't know how I passed by your beautiful post earlier today...perhaps I was too egocentric with my current situation.  Thank you for the perspective!  I did pray to God for his healing hand to be felt on my achilles and I believe he already has.  By all rights, it should probably be torn completely.  I don't know why this has happened but you have helped me realize this is another test for me.  I'm too close to the situation right now to understand why this is happening but that's okay.  My job is to have faith that He knows what he is doing and learn the difficult task of being patient and dependant!

Thanks Mitch!  I will do my best to be careful and do the right things!

Edited by medeiros13 2013-02-13 5:24 PM

2013-02-13 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4621357

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
medeiros13 - 2013-02-13 6:23 PM

Pam: That's not the first time you've told me that your hubby and I are cut from the same cloth.  If that is true, you and my wife must be saints!

Not saints.  Either idiots or machocists.  I LOVE my hubby and always will - still doesn't stop me from wanting to strangle him sometimes.  Your poor wife right now...I feel for her.  Please listen to Mitch and others.  Heal first.

Carol, don't go out for runs right now.  Just read about the escapee and doesn't sound like he will be taken alive.  Stay safe!

2013-02-13 10:53 PM

User image

Veteran

Ken - Good thoughts about race issues. I hadn't thought about the weather factor or going out to fast. I definitely can see how those two things alone could kill someone's race day. I remember pace was something I did really well during my HIM. One difference with IM is the cut-off times, which I will hopefully not really have to worry about because my training will have me at solid paces (in theory). However, having the thought looming in my mind could push me a little harder. At least I can  be prepared for it.

Jay - Lame duck sauce! 4-8 weeks sounds pretty good compared to some other healing processes I heard people going through. Not that that makes it feel any better, but with patience you will be back out in no time at all.

Carol - Love your story! I know you are right. I guess I have this crazy fear that something is going to go wrong because I'm pretty sure I have not wanted anything as much as I want this. Being a type B on top of some other things in life I haven't pursued much, so I feel like I'm putting all my eggs in this basket. In some ways I have to say I need this. I don't know what would happen if I didn't finish because I obviously can't predict the future, but I really don't want that to happen. I'm glad I have people around to walk the journey even if they are all over the country And please stay away from escapees at all costs.

Mike - Talking to other experienced racers was brilliant! Thank you for reminding me of the fundamentals of my part in the process.

Short run today and swim class. We did focused on controlled breathing tonight and I finally was really good at something that everyone else was struggling with. It doesn't make me any faster, but it was sure nice to not be flailing around again during class trying to do some balance drill. hahaha. BTW, if you need a good movie for you next 2 hour trainer ride try MIssion IMpossible 3!

Also, where the heck is Steve????

2013-02-14 5:27 AM
in reply to: #4621626

User image

Expert
anthalynn - 2013-02-13 11:53 PM

Yes, a bit worried. I hope he's ok. 

2013-02-14 5:42 AM
in reply to: #4621626

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Wondering the same thing.... Hope everything is OK.
2013-02-14 8:01 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Agreed, Steve, please let us know you're OK even if you don't have time to comment otherwise.

Jay, ouch!  I'm so sorry.  We must have been simulposting yesterday.  I hope you will listen to Mitch so you can look back on this as a blip on the radar, and not a big storm that lasts much longer.  Yes, I rarely see the purpose in things like that until much later on, and sometimes I still don't, which I suppose is where faith really comes into play.  Glad you are trusting that this too will work for good in the end.  This may also be a really good time to focus on the intake side of things if you have any more weight to shed.  Have you thought about volunteering at either of those HM's? 

Mike, enjoy reading your advice for Jay re: the swimming, and Samantha on the nerves.  That's the nice thing about tri training...there is usually some part that we can work on, even when injured.

Pam, LOL, I'm laughing WITH you on your relationship with technology .  Yes the guy that escaped is a seriously bad dude, and now desparate on top of that.  He made his escape about 4 miles from me.  We are all being more vigilant.  I'm still running, but avoiding the more wooded/secluded areas, and not too keen on using the park bathrooms.

Samantha, you are a winner no matter what in my book.  Just taking this journey and really putting it out there takes a lot of courage.  And as you can tell, you are covered in great advice, prayer, and well wishes from all of us in this group.

2013-02-14 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

3 mile run this  morn.  wow it feels great.  I must be patient.  My perception on things is very skewed due to Ironman.  I used to not even do 3 miles runs as I felt they were too short.  Now it's my long run!

Carol be careful out there.  Here in Southern Cal we just had a psycho cop that was on a spree caught and killed... He was actually feet from police at many times in the last couple weeks and they didn't find him until yesterday, or the day before.  Just be careful.  You never know where they could be...

Hello, Steve?  Hello?  Hope you are alright...

2013-02-14 12:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Today was a tough 8 mile run.  Everything is sore and stiff.  I am looking forward to my recovery day tomorrow.  I think the extra weight/strength training this week really kicked my butt.  

It didn't help that I donated blood this morning.  

Carol, Please please be careful. 

Mitch, I completely understand about the perception of distance.  I remember when 3 miles was long run for me as well.  You will be back where you want to be.  Just have patience and take slowly. You will be ready when time comes.  No setbacks.  

2013-02-15 8:04 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey all, yes, this manhunt stuff is continuing to makes us all think more carefully about what we do.  Just read a report that last night they started doing house by house searches (where homeowners would allow) of neighborhoods near where he escaped.  We are about 4 miles out, so not sure if they will extend to us.  But my FIL's (vacant) house is closer, and was apparently in one of those neighborhoods they searched last night.  So we called to authorize police to search, give them the garage code, etc.

Mitch, nice 3 mile run, and even nicer patience!  As Ken said, you will get there.  I'm very glad that the ex-cop who was killing people has been stopped.  Even if he was somehow wronged in getting fired, how sad that anyone can carry that much anger for that long.

Ken, good going on the strength training.  Hard to incorporate that with all the S/B/R.  Are you doing it to build up, or mainly for injury prevention?

Taper is in full swing.  6 miles today (along busy streets), and then my "long" run will be 8 tomorrow (at the lake with others). 

2013-02-15 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Went to my strength training guy today for the first time in 2 weeks, and my lord what a brutal experience. Amazing how much one can slide back in such a short time. Granted its been a horrible week, but wow, a real struggle to get through it today, and it was rather humbling, and embarassing. Sheesh.....a good motivator, though!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52