BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-01-25 11:10 AM
in reply to: ervaller

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
Hi All - I'm gonna to need you to hold me accountable ...

Yesterday was a rest day for me, which was good for the joints but not for willpower. Now, I just found out that we are going to the movies as a fam (gonna go see Jack Ryan - totally stoked about it) but I'm worried about getting my bike and swim in when I get home later in the afternoon. I know the couch will be so inviting...

So - a warm coors light for me if I don't come home and make it happen and a ton of crap from you if I don't post a positive update by 8pm tonight.

2014-01-25 11:13 AM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Brian W

Just counted and I'm at 23 sessions in 20 days of work. Going for a swim later today and getting ready for the TOUR OF SUFFERLANDRIA! Any BDAAS folks joining in this year? Excited for 9 days of intense bike work, this will be great for me!

Thanks for posting this Brian! Might have to take a tour of sufferlandia after the movie. These videos are great but if money is tight - enjoy them for free now and use the free ones posted to youtube when the deal expires.
2014-01-25 11:32 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by ervaller

Adding another event to the schedule. Xtera Olympic Grand Rapids MI October 5th.  My training partner is a huge mountain biker so this one is for him. A couple of things could make this really tough. The west side of Michigan is notoriously sandy and The 5th of October has a high of 76 and a low of 23. Somewhere in the middle will be perfect but the low is going to make for a very interesting event. Otherwise I think it will be an awesome experience. The trail riding and trail running will make for some great scenery. 

If my Olymipc on June 8th goes well is 2 months a reasonable amount of time to train and cycle back up to a half Ironman? I've been toying with the idea. I'm currently gearing up to start my Olympic training on Feb 3rd but I'll be using a 70.3 18 week plan

Thoughts?

Since your already using a HIM training plan, I'd think you'd be fine to skip the base phase of plan and recycle the build phase for after you OLY leading up to HIM.
2014-01-25 11:34 AM

User image

Expert

Adding another event to the schedule. Xtera Olympic Grand Rapids MI October 5th.  My training partner is a huge mountain biker so this one is for him. A couple of things could make this really tough. The west side of Michigan is notoriously sandy and The 5th of October has a high of 76 and a low of 23. Somewhere in the middle will be perfect but the low is going to make for a very interesting event. Otherwise I think it will be an awesome experience. The trail riding and trail running will make for some great scenery. 

If my Olymipc on June 8th goes well is 2 months a reasonable amount of time to train and cycle back up to a half Ironman? I've been toying with the idea. I'm currently gearing up to start my Olympic training on Feb 3rd but I'll be using a 70.3 18 week plan

Thoughts?

Congrats for signing up for the Xterra race - I've always wanted to do one.

I think you can totally shoot for a HIM in October. Here's my rational. Feb 3 to June 8 = 18 weeks of training which is more than enough time to get you to the beer line after finishing a OLY. Then you will have another 18 weeks of training between the OLY and October 5. I'm almost certain that there is a bridge plan on this site to get you from an OLY to a HIM in 12 weeks (16 tops). So if you want to bag a HIM - you should be able to make it happen!

Question - are you a Tiger's fan?
2014-01-25 11:36 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Originally posted by Brian W

Just counted and I'm at 23 sessions in 20 days of work. Going for a swim later today and getting ready for the TOUR OF SUFFERLANDRIA! Any BDAAS folks joining in this year? Excited for 9 days of intense bike work, this will be great for me!

Finished Rubber Glove yesterday - and set a new FTP number at 217, from my previous 200 even. I am not looking forward to ISLAGIATT or Angels/Hunted combo.

He he - he said rubber glove (so said the 42 year old in his best Bevis voice)
2014-01-25 11:36 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Qua17

Yesterday was a rest day for me, which was good for the joints but not for willpower. Now, I just found out that we are going to the movies as a fam (gonna go see Jack Ryan - totally stoked about it) but I'm worried about getting my bike and swim in when I get home later in the afternoon. I know the couch will be so inviting...

So - a warm coors light for me if I don't come home and make it happen and a ton of crap from you if I don't post a positive update by 8pm tonight.

Deal! Just as an extra motivator, you could think about the woes of the Browns over the last many years. This will tick you off and motivate you to get out the door and release some angst by working out at the gym. win/win.

2014-01-25 11:41 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

Sadly I only made it 800m into my 1500m swim before my leaky goggles got the best of me. They've been randomly leaky the last week or two so I decided to give up on them and got a new pair after I left the gym. In the store the new pair felt better (changed brands) so hopefully I won't have any more frustrating leaky eyes. Since I didn't make my full workout, no beer for me tonight

A leaky set of goggles is annoying? What kind did you get? I went cheap on mine and if I'm gonna be spending more time in the pool - I want to get a decent pair without breaking the bank...
2014-01-25 12:00 PM

User image

Lansing, Michigan

Thoughts?

Congrats for signing up for the Xterra race - I've always wanted to do one. I think you can totally shoot for a HIM in October. Here's my rational. Feb 3 to June 8 = 18 weeks of training which is more than enough time to get you to the beer line after finishing a OLY. Then you will have another 18 weeks of training between the OLY and October 5. I'm almost certain that there is a bridge plan on this site to get you from an OLY to a HIM in 12 weeks (16 tops). So if you want to bag a HIM - you should be able to make it happen! Question - are you a Tiger's fan?

October 5th is another Oly. I'm trying to find a balance between enough time to ramp up to the HIM but then be able to be recovered for the Xtera. 

2014-01-25 12:04 PM

User image

Lansing, Michigan

Sadly I only made it 800m into my 1500m swim before my leaky goggles got the best of me. They've been randomly leaky the last week or two so I decided to give up on them and got a new pair after I left the gym. In the store the new pair felt better (changed brands) so hopefully I won't have any more frustrating leaky eyes. Since I didn't make my full workout, no beer for me tonight

A leaky set of goggles is annoying? What kind did you get? I went cheap on mine and if I'm gonna be spending more time in the pool - I want to get a decent pair without breaking the bank...

I've always used a Swedidh or Socket Rocket Style Goggle. They are very inexpensive and I've never had a problem with them leaking.

http://www.amazon.com/Swedish-Style-Swimming-Goggles-Aqua/dp/B009FU9LSS

2014-01-25 1:05 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
19/31--short trainer ride with a major headache. It was terrible, but it is done.
2014-01-25 1:06 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

I've always used a Swedidh or Socket Rocket Style Goggle. They are very inexpensive and I've never had a problem with them leaking.

http://www.amazon.com/Swedish-Style-Swimming-Goggles-Aqua/dp/B009FU9LSS

I am extremely happy with my zoogs, slightly more expensive, but considering the time I spend at the pool and the cost of the rest of the equipment (bike, shoes, GPS...) the difference is peanuts. I find them much more comfortable.

http://www.wiggle.com/zoggs-predator-flex-goggles/

2014-01-25 3:53 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Hi All - I'm ready to enter sufferlandia but I can figure how to access the free rides. All the links I'm clicking on take me to page where I pay. Can anyone guide the way?
2014-01-25 4:27 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

For the longest time they sold a three pack of speedo goggles for $14.99 at Costco. Haven't seen it in a few months. It was a good deal for decent goggles, like 3 for the price of 1. my goggles only tend to last a few months, then I'm switching em up.
2014-01-25 6:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
2014-01-25 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

If you wear glasses, the Sporti goggles from Swim Outlet are great - I was able to get reasonably close to my prescription, so being able to actually read the pace clock is helpful. They also don't leak.

Also, if you have fog problems, take a tiny drop of baby shampoo, rub it in each lens (while the lens is still dry), then rinse - no fog problems. I bought a sample size bottle for less than $1 and poked a hole in it with a needle - it should last over a year.
2014-01-25 6:53 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Sufferfest update: ISLAGIATT is completely, utterly insane. I clicked down to 90%, no lie, and and it still hurt me and I still couldn't keep up.

Two down, 7 to go.

2014-01-26 3:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY

I've tried a few cheaper ones, but my favorite that are comfortable and never leak are these aquasphere's.

I also like the TYR Nest's but they leave me with racoon eyes after long swims, they don't leak though!

Edited by Bradleykd 2014-01-26 3:16 AM
2014-01-26 8:34 AM

User image

Expert

It took me 2 days but I got it done. I came home and spent an hour trying to figure out how to try the Tour of Sufferlandia for free. Turns out - I was mistaken - not free. BUmmer.

Anyway - after making my post asking you to hold me accountable - I had second thoughts about getting in a swim because my shoulders were still sore. So I made the decision to skip the swim and rest. But when I hopped on the bike, my brain kept going back to the promise I had made to you all (and hearing my father in the back of my head telling me that "my word is my bond" So after doing 80 min. on the bike, I decided to head to the gym for the swim only to find out that it was closed (on account of the time Alex - not because we are wusses like pools in Florida). But I got the swim in this morning.

I want to ask the group a question - What should I do about my shoulders? They are still sore despite the rest week. I'm gonna start taking some aleve to reduce the pain and swelling but I'm wondering whether it would be better to rest them and not swim until they feel better or continue to swim and just reduce my distance?
2014-01-26 9:52 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
21/31--bike, run, core, and yoga this morning...and it isn't even 10am yet. I feel really good about all of my workouts today. I'll probably reward myself with a nice brew during the Pro Bowl this evening. Don't know what it will be though, as I have to go to the store. I went on Friday to get some beer and wine for our party and the weekend. The liquor store card reader was down, so I was limited in my ability to purchase to how much cash I had on hand...no beer, only wine for the party.
2014-01-26 9:55 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

It took me 2 days but I got it done. I came home and spent an hour trying to figure out how to try the Tour of Sufferlandia for free. Turns out - I was mistaken - not free. BUmmer.

Anyway - after making my post asking you to hold me accountable - I had second thoughts about getting in a swim because my shoulders were still sore. So I made the decision to skip the swim and rest. But when I hopped on the bike, my brain kept going back to the promise I had made to you all (and hearing my father in the back of my head telling me that "my word is my bond" So after doing 80 min. on the bike, I decided to head to the gym for the swim only to find out that it was closed (on account of the time Alex - not because we are wusses like pools in Florida). But I got the swim in this morning.

I want to ask the group a question - What should I do about my shoulders? They are still sore despite the rest week. I'm gonna start taking some aleve to reduce the pain and swelling but I'm wondering whether it would be better to rest them and not swim until they feel better or continue to swim and just reduce my distance?

I'd give that an A for effort David! At least you tried to get the swim workout in, getting to the pool is always 80% of the battle for me. I get really frustrated when I get there and the pool isn't open or is substandard for some reason.
2014-01-26 11:57 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Happy Sunday everyone!

It's time to post your goals for the week. Props to Alex, Melanie, Scott and Brian for already making it happen. Try to get them done by Sunday night or else you'll be sucking down a warm Coors Light on Monday Seriously - posting your goals not only makes them more real for you but doing so also helps your fellow BDAASers cheer you on throughout the week. Chance are - you may get inspired by Thor who does an excellent job at checking in to cheer you on.

Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Atf3WryluKZedFQwci1LRFc...

2014-01-26 12:01 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

21/31--bike, run, core, and yoga this morning...and it isn't even 10am yet. I feel really good about all of my workouts today. I'll probably reward myself with a nice brew during the Pro Bowl this evening. Don't know what it will be though, as I have to go to the store. I went on Friday to get some beer and wine for our party and the weekend. The liquor store card reader was down, so I was limited in my ability to purchase to how much cash I had on hand...no beer, only wine for the party.

Congrats on hitting the mark for the month with 6 days to go. That's outstanding work! We will cut you some slack about only buying wine when forced to make a choice. We all have our weak moments.
2014-01-26 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
18/31 30 minutes on trainer. interval training. Rode during the first period of Rangers/Devils game today. rpe8 in gear8 during play, rpe6 during whistles, and spun out during commercials.

Speak of the pool. my advice for any Y members, try to schedule pool workouts on weekdays. with all the aquatic activity on the weekend, very challenging to find a lane.
2014-01-26 2:14 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
26/31 - Got in a 3 mile run. Holy cow was it surprising chilly. While the temp was in the high teens, the wind chill was around 5. But I only had to be out for a bit so it wasn't too bad. I used my run intervals to 2 minutes running/1 walking and I really felt it in the hip and ankle especially towards the end.

Now I've got the afternoon to kill - bummer there isn't anything to watch on the tube. Maybe I will score some brownie points by doing the laundry.
2014-01-26 3:14 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Today great bike ride (40k) in 90 minutes, beautiful sunny day with freezing weather -I had lunch here in Madrid with a friend from Chicago, and told I have no clue of what is "freezing weather", this is spring for him.

Way to go!! Great workouts, AND great choice at the liquor store. Next season this group may even change its name!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.