BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-08-01 1:50 PM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
Hey guys, I am back at the sunshine state!!

Thank you for the slapping comments! hehehehe I'm glad to be back and I'm looking forward to sunday's tri, however I'm still a bit tight from sundays half. My quads are very sore. What do you guys think should be a good appraoch to be recovered by sunday??

Tanks for all the support, this is definately the coolest group on the website.

FR

2007-08-01 2:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Felipe, Rich would know better than I would, but I suggest plenty of water (help flush out toxins built up in the muscles), get a massage if you can or massage sore spots yourself, and some light activity like fast walking followed by extensive stretching. (Unless you think you have injured something -- then be careful how/what you stretch.)

Also, Advil helps reduce pain and swelling and can be helpful for getting moving again.

Oh! And my massage therapist recommends a warm bath with salt water to pull toxins (like lactic acid) from sore muscles.

Edited by cmbcwb3 2007-08-01 2:04 PM
2007-08-01 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Felipe is IN THE HOUSE! Welcome Back!
Hey Felipe!

Welcome back.....sounds like the slapping around did you some good! LOL! :P

Christine is on the money with her recommendations on the tight muscles. Here is my routine:

Step 1: Advil or Ibuprofen (2 tablets @200 mg every 8 hours). This will help reduce any swelling. I will do this for three or four days after a marathon or when I experience tightness.

Step 2: Warm bath with Epsom Salt (Epsom Salt increases the magnesium level which helps pull lactic acid out.)

Step 3: Sports Massage. Talk with the therapist. Tell the therapist that you jus got back from a marathon and you are doing a triathlon this coming weekend. Be specific as to where you are sore or tight. The goal is to loosen up the muscles so the therapist should not go too deep into the muscle. Some stretching of the muscles would be include...... too bad my sports massage therapist isn't there... he does a lot of work on runners.....he coaches a marathon development program and he helps a lot of his runners loosen up before events. Talk to therapists about some additional stretches that you could do after the massage over the next couple of days.

Step 4: Warm bath with Epsom Salt (Repeat this periodically)

Step 5: Keep the quads and calf muscles loose by shaking them out with both hands.

Quads: Sit on the edge of a chair. Place the palms of your hand on the side of your quads...one on each side about mid quad. Shake the quad by moving your hands to the front and back of your legs. One hand should be going to the front of the leg and the other hand should be going to the back of the leg. Repeat for other leg. Keep doing this for next couple of days and including during your warm up of the triathlon on Sunday(?).

Calves: Sitting, lift one leg/foot off the ground so that your foot is perpendicular to the ground (knee should be bent). Again, place palms of hands on the calves and just like loosing the quads, move your hands forward and backwards. Repeat for the other leg.

Hope this helps!

Rich

2007-08-01 9:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Guys,
sorry I've been away, work is on ooverdrive right now!! I've been feeling a bit burned, so I haven't been very good the last few days.... until tonight.

I went biking for an hour and a bit, with 2 more people( not Felipe, since he wanted to just recover) and I must tell you I HAD A BLAST!!! Felt like i was 10 again, riding my bike around the neighbourhood! I was drafting!!! OMG that has got to be the funnest thing ever!! and my aerobars... i am IN LOVE with them!!! I had such a good time, even during the hills and as the cars went flying next to us... i got my endorphins back!! hahahaha,

Anyways, I'm really back now~~~ hahaa, glad to hear everyone is doing great!!!

p.s. girls rule, im totally joining in the challenge!
2007-08-02 1:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Joined the Challenge
OK! You gals are like soooooooo in trouble..........either way you loose (teeheee)

1) If you win, you loose because you will have to see me in a speedo!

2) If you lose, the world will get to see you in swimsuits.

WINNNER!!! Right here! LOL!

Rich
2007-08-02 1:23 AM
in reply to: #910541

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey CARU!

EXCELLENT! Your energy is infectous! I'm glad you were able to get out and enjoy. You earned the opportunity to get out and play a little bit! Looks like Caru is getting her groove back!

Rich

2007-08-02 8:39 AM

User image

Regular
Where do we sign up for this Boys vs. Girls challenge??
2007-08-02 9:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Click on "Forums" and scroll down. You will see "Challenge Me" and then click on the boys vs girls run/swim challenge.
2007-08-02 9:31 AM
in reply to: #910609

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Cyclingmaniac - 2007-08-02 1:12 AM OK! You gals are like soooooooo in trouble..........either way you loose (teeheee) 1) If you win, you loose because you will have to see me in a speedo! 2) If you lose, the world will get to see you in swimsuits. WINNNER!!! Right here! LOL! Rich

Oh, I'm pretty sure that it's not a lose/lose situation for us gals. I'm betting that your Mr. Ironman bod at any age is better than my i-can-barely-do-an-oly-mother-of-two backside.  Now with stud-muffin Felipe in the mix, seeing you guys in speedos should be more than worth it!! oh dear, did I say that out loud?

2007-08-02 10:54 AM
in reply to: #910881

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
katzchen55 - 2007-08-02 9:31 AM

Now with stud-muffin Felipe in the mix, seeing you guys in speedos should be more than worth it!! oh dear, did I say that out loud?

LHOL(Laugh Hysterically Out Loud)! AAaaaaah, Kat? Not only did you say it outloud, but you wrote it outloud, too for the entire world to see!

Let the smack talk begin!

Rich (By the way ....... I'm 100% on my planned goals already! ........completed 3.5 mile run last night...) This is going to be a walk in the park.....and it is helping me prepare for Disney Half Marathon on 9/3 (Labor Day)!

Rich
2007-08-02 7:18 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Y'all are so dawg gone funny!  I think I'll sit and watch on the sideline for Mr. Stud Muffin and Mr. HIM to show off their speedos!  WOOHOO!  Just shave the extra hair off!  Girls Rule!

I'm not sure how much training I'll be doing this weekend.  My parents have the kids for the weekend so my hubby and I are having an adult only happy hour on Friday.  I'm suppose to bike on Saturday, but not sure how the head will be feeling.  Saturday night - dinner with friends, then Sun. my daughter's b-day party...Sometimes life gets in the way of training plans!  I'll work extra hard next week!   

2007-08-02 7:30 PM
in reply to: #911833

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
yoblondie - 2007-08-02 7:18 PM

Y'all are so dawg gone funny!  I think I'll sit and watch on the sideline for Mr. Stud Muffin and Mr. HIM to show off their speedos!  WOOHOO!  Just shave the extra hair off!  Girls Rule  

Now with that kind of smack talkin, ya better join in on this event...... I mentioned your name over on that thread anyway...... now everyone is probably wondering who is Angela! Shave the extra hair off? From where?........No I don't want to know! :0

Come and join in on the harmless, humorous fun!

Rich

2007-08-03 6:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Rich, you have NO idea what girls go through... ;-)

I am leaving work today at noon, picking up my nieces and driving 3 1/2 hours out to my Dad's farm. We're spending the weekend there, so I don't expect to get a ton of training in, but I do hope to get a bike ride and a run in.

Ladies -- I got my hair done last night (cut/highlighted) and my hairdresser did all kinds of extra stuff to help protect it from all of the swimming and sun. I'm proud to have such sporty concerns! :-)
2007-08-03 9:15 AM

User image

Regular
I agree with my buddy Rich. This is going to be a walk in the park.

Ladies you better start shopping for your swimsuit. And you can begin practicing your pose on the avatar hahahahah!!!

Well, my soreness has definately eased out almost completely. thank you for the tips, they were really helpful. Now, I'm battling against the beginnings of what I hope won't be a cold.

Anyways, can't wait till sunday's challenge and then monday we shall begin to kick some lady butt.

FR
2007-08-03 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Guys,

totally got my groove back, went riding this morning as the sun was coming out...man its soo beautiful! i love it!!! then last night i swam 2400 yds, man that was hardy hard! will go on a ride with Felipe this evening, so he can get used to his bike again!! it shall be tonnes of fun!!!

what are everyones plans for this weekends training, and also, who else is racing??? Andi, isn't your first tri coming up soon???//

talk to you guys later!!
2007-08-03 10:36 AM
in reply to: #911833

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
yoblondie - 2007-08-02 8:18 PM

Y'all are so dawg gone funny! I think I'll sit and watch on the sideline for Mr. Stud Muffin and Mr. HIM to show off their speedos!

Hey, don't you mean SPEEDON'TS???? I'm going to have to sensor my computer so my 3 and 5 year old girls aren't overexposed to all those guys and their budgie smugglers.

2007-08-03 10:49 AM
in reply to: #912196

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
carustol - 2007-08-03 10:27 AM
Andi, isn't your first tri coming up soon???//

My first sprint tri is August 26 (http://www.theelementevents.com/events/2) , though the Michigan State Triathlon Club is trying to talk me into joining their team at the Mideast Regional Championships in Sylvania Ohio on August 12...I don't know if they get what I keep telling them, but I'M SLOW! They said it didn't matter. We'll see...doing a tri with all of those college hardbodies is WAY out of my scope of goals! (Good eye candy though, I'm sure!) They have a sprint distance, so perhaps I'll do that.

I'm working past my shin splints and have consulted with a physical therapist. It turns out that I have weak hips and I need to strengthen those. (Who knew!) I also got my body fat reading (my first one). They took two readings, one at the standard setting and one at the athletic setting. Here are my readings:

Weight: 150 lb
BMI: 25
Desirable range of body fat: 20-27%
Desirable fat mass: 21.5-39 lb

Athletic Reading:
Impedance:439
Fat: 21%
Fat Mass: 31 lb
LBM: 119.5 lb
TBW: 87.5 lb

Standard Reading:
Impedance: 441
Fat: 30%
Fat Mass: 45 lb
LBM: 105 lb
TBW: 77 lb

Interesting...I obviously have work to do. I'll get another reading after my Oly in Sept.
2007-08-03 1:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Andi sounds great!
Honestly go ahead and do the sprint!!1 I'm super rusty right now, since i stopped workig out for like 2 weeks, so trust me...i will be SLOWW.. plus i seem to be extremely hungry lately for some reason...i will be slow, but its about having fun like Cris was saying the other day~~

That analysis looks awesome, I can't wait to see the difference in September!!! It's already August!!1 this is the time to PUMP IT UP LIKE 50 notches!!!! hahahaha
I'm ready!!! K guys, have fun working out!!

Q: going up bridges hills, guys I keep thinking RPM's right, but I go on my big ring and i keep it steady and i am fine, i dont change gears or anything. I notice everyone is going on their small ring.. am I doing something wrong.. I mean, honestly i have no clue what I am doing when going up or down...any suggestions guys??
2007-08-03 2:13 PM
in reply to: #912696

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Hey Gang!
I'm heading out in a little while to Encinitas California for a friend's 40th Birthday Party......He's so young! About 15 couples are going so should be lots of fun and games..... (Taking my wetsuit in case I can get an open water swim, and the hotel does have a fancy treadmill.)

Andi! Go for it with the college team.....just have fun! You'll learn a lot in a race situation!

Caru: There are two schools of thought.....most people drop into their small rings and keep an easy 90 rpm to save the legs for the run.......The other school is go for it hard and long...... My suggestion is try both followed by runs after your bike rides to experience or simulate the transition from cycling to running.

Ask more questions!

Rich
2007-08-03 2:21 PM
in reply to: #912373

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Andi's Numbers
Hey Andi!

It is good that you got all the measurements. You can use those as a benchmark for future improvements! Your numbers are actually not bad.....what you might consider is establishing some goals.... Use SMART (Specific, Measureable, Attainable, Result Oriented, and Time Bound).... who knew you could apply business principles to sports!

With regards to your weak hips, did the therapist give you some exercises or are they going to work with you? Good that you got that early...... when you get old and decreped like me, it could lead to issues in the hips.

What do you see as your biggest improvements?

Good Job, Andi! Keep working it!

Rich

2007-08-03 2:24 PM
in reply to: #912033

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Christine!

I'm not even going to try and compete with what you ladies try to balance! For me, it is easy! I sleep, eat, work, workout and try to work my wife's "honey-do" list! So I bow to ya'all!

Rich

2007-08-03 2:31 PM
in reply to: #912805

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Cyclingmaniac - 2007-08-03 3:21 PM

What do you see as your biggest improvements?

If I should be reading your question as my biggest room for improvements, it is to increase my hip strength by exercising. The therapist gave me some thoughts on how to get started, but I'm going to try and get a script so I can actually use their services. (Michigan is one of five states left that don't allow walk-ins to just start up on a physical therapy regimen...LAME!)

Since I'll be working on my hips, I'll focus on other muscles too, including core. That should help my performance and by BMI, so the next few months should be interesting.

If I were to read your question as what I've improved most on so far? It would be increasing my stamina and endurance. My 3.5 mile run this morning was a breeze for me (other than the fact that I had to deal with a bit of the shin splint issue). I'm also proud of the fact that I now am being called "Most Buff Employee" where I work...Rock on!!! haha
2007-08-03 2:31 PM
in reply to: #912181

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Dry or Wet Speedos?
Hey Felipe! Did you see if the girls have to be wearing dry or wet swimsuits in their photos? :P

Good to hear your soreness is subsiding! Colds after a marathon are pretty typical especially if you jump onto a plane with that clean aircabin air!

Have a GREAT race on Sunday! Looking forward to hearing about your race!

Go get' em!

Rich
2007-08-03 2:34 PM
in reply to: #912815

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Andi!

I'll take both answers! Excellent! And you just got a new nickname: "Andi, The Buff One"!

Rich!

2007-08-03 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich's New Ride
Hey Gang!

One of my short term goals was to purchase a new tri bike......guess where I was this morning!
I will pick-up the bike next Friday after they build it and do some custom swaps out....compact cranks, 12-27 (for the mountains behind us). Here's a link to the bike..... the bike shop is going to upgrade the wheelset, too!

http://www.giant-bicycle.com/en-US/bikes/road/1/11464/

Plan is to work with the bike during winter training and race it for Wildflower 2008 Long Course. Now I'll have to come up with a name for this bike..... Hmmmmm!

Rich

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46