BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-06-10 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2068936

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
Subject: RE: Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED
I did meet my swim goal last week!Smile

2009-06-10 4:10 PM

User image

Illinois

Rode my free Trek bike over to the bike shop today to see what if anything it needed.  It looks like it will be just a few bucks to bring it up to par.  The bike guy said it was a bit small for me (I'm 5'10") but that it was certainly rideable.  Hey for an okay bike that was free that works for me.  So I'm 1.9 miles to my biking goal!  I won't get it back until next Tuesday though, so maybe I'll head to the gym to do some stationary riding.

I also started my "running" today.  Yep, ran all of 3 minutes in my 15 minute walk.  I did get my heart rate up over 160 during three of my 30 second jogs.   It's a start.   Hah, hah. 

And maybe my goal for the 2 mile run I will need to do is to run half of it.  Hey, I've got 7 1/2 weeks to go!

Sue

2009-06-10 4:24 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

I didn't meet my goal last week Frown  I did 30/45 push ups...

Lora - I'll just keep my goal for both months...It's not a bad all around goal...

2009-06-10 4:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Sitting here trying to decide if I should drive 2 hours to Cheyenne for a possible ows practice. I really want to try the wetsuit out and the ows, BUT....the lake water is said to be 52* Brrrrrrrrrrrr! There is a high possibility it will get canceled anyway due to weather. One roll of thunder and it is off. AND....I am feeling quite tired right now.

Long day yesterday gathering up after branding supplies (60 mile round trip for propane and vaccine, then home, change cars and 140mile round trip the other way for groceries and some other stuff), then cooking until 11pm, up at 5am to finish cooking, scrambling around to get everything put together, an hour drive to the corrals....only to have it all rained out in the end! It was freezing out there too! About 50* and wet. I went ahead and fed the guys who were there (about 15 people). Then we all came home and had a little fun finding some yearling steers and getting them to cross the river. Yee HA! All done in the rain. Then lots of kitchen clean up and -sigh - I don't really feel like driving to Cheyenne only to have it canceled.

I am thinking that maybe after dh gets up from his little snooze I might get him to go to the local reservoir and watch me. I think I could swim along the shoreline close enough that he could help me if something went wrong. We have a SeaDoo (well it isn't really ours) but it is pretty cold so don't think he will want to be out on it...and it hasn't been in the water for 2 years so might take some tweaking before it is ready.

Well...thanks for letting me deliberate here!

Sharie
2009-06-10 9:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
Sharie, did you go? After my first experience, I strongly advocate that everyone should get as much OWS experience as possible before the event!
2009-06-10 9:38 PM
in reply to: #2208614

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
ranchrunner - 2009-06-10 4:49 PM   Long day yesterday gathering up after branding supplies (60 mile round trip for propane and vaccine, then home, change cars and 140mile round trip the other way for groceries and some other stuff), then cooking until 11pm, up at 5am to finish cooking, scrambling around to get everything put together, an hour drive to the corrals....only to have it all rained out in the end! It was freezing out there too! About 50* and wet. I went ahead and fed the guys who were there (about 15 people). Then we all came home and had a little fun finding some yearling steers and getting them to cross the river. Yee HA! All done in the rain.     Sharie

I just love reading your posts - such a different world - all the cowboy/girl stuff
Denise

2009-06-11 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey ladies.  I am not a happy camper todayFrown.  My leg is still bothering me quite a bit - more than just a strained or pulled muscle I think.  I'm going to skip the run and bike workouts for the next couple of days and see how it feels.  Swimming doesn't seem to bother it (I guess because of the non-impact) so I'll do that at least.  It seems like every time I even think about training for a half marathon, something happens to sideline me.  Last summer it was tendonitis, over the winter it was turf toe (which sounds really wimpy but is actually extremely painful), and now this.  I hadn't even started to up my miles yet!  You think maybe someone's trying to tell me somethingUndecided?  I'm just so frustrated by this.  And on top of that, it has rained/thunderstormed off and on for the past 4-5 days, mostly in the evening and at night which makes it hard to get a good night's sleep.  Sorry for the rant - I'm just tired, frustrated and I hate my job right now.  Luckily I do have a week's vacation coming up soon and hopefully this injury problem will be resolved by then and the rain will stop by then and I'll be able to actually enjoy my time off!  I can always hope, rightSmile?

Janet

2009-06-11 4:44 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-11 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2211732

Veteran
Northern VA
There is a copy of the list on page 32, but you are on team C with me!
GO ABUSEMENT PARK!!
2009-06-12 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2209743

Master
Loveland, Ohio
soccermom15 - 2009-06-11 9:37 AM

Hey ladies.  I am not a happy camper todayFrown.  My leg is still bothering me quite a bit - more than just a strained or pulled muscle I think.  I'm going to skip the run and bike workouts for the next couple of days and see how it feels.  Swimming doesn't seem to bother it (I guess because of the non-impact) so I'll do that at least.  It seems like every time I even think about training for a half marathon, something happens to sideline me.  Last summer it was tendonitis, over the winter it was turf toe (which sounds really wimpy but is actually extremely painful), and now this.  I hadn't even started to up my miles yet!  You think maybe someone's trying to tell me somethingUndecided?  I'm just so frustrated by this.  And on top of that, it has rained/thunderstormed off and on for the past 4-5 days, mostly in the evening and at night which makes it hard to get a good night's sleep.  Sorry for the rant - I'm just tired, frustrated and I hate my job right now.  Luckily I do have a week's vacation coming up soon and hopefully this injury problem will be resolved by then and the rain will stop by then and I'll be able to actually enjoy my time off!  I can always hope, rightSmile?

Janet

Sorry to hear you had such a crappy day, Janet.  Sometimes it seems as if it's all coming down on you and it just makes you feel helpless and frustrated.

That is wise to lay off the bike and run for a couple days to see what happens.  I know you said that you hadn't upped your mileage yet, but could you have pushed too much on the speedwork this week?

Keep us posted as to how you're feeling.  Here's to feeling better and enjoying your upcoming vacation!
2009-06-12 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2212262

2009-06-12 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2209743

2009-06-12 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2211732

Master
Loveland, Ohio
ChrisFL - 2009-06-11 5:44 PM Hey girls- back from vacation! It was awesome.  And it's also O-V-E-R!  lol  I have two little girls who don't transition too well to things being 'over'.  Gee....wonder where they get that from! 

I am proud of myself.  I kept up my training while away and even though I did indulge in some good food I didn't over do it.  I actually LOST a pound over the past 8 days!  Yay me! 

Last night in the dark I banged my left knee pretty good against the cabinet in our aft cabin.  I am not as used to the layout of furniture on the boat as I am at home.  But as the day has gone on it's gotten a bit better thankfully. 

I'm planning for my first 5K.  It's going to be in August.  There is a triathlon this Sunday that I would give ANYTHING to participate in.  For the open water part they are only having people swim in water they can actually STAND in!  Do you know how comforting that would be to me.  To mentally know that I could just stand if I wanted to!!! 

I have to catch up on alot of posts here. 

One quick question....how do I know which 'team' I am on?  Did I miss something- can someone direct me to the original post?  Thanks everyone!  Christine Cool

Glad you had an awesome vacation and kudos to you for being able to maintain your training under very fun difficult circumstances.
2009-06-12 9:12 PM

2009-06-12 11:05 PM
in reply to: #2214828

Master
Loveland, Ohio
ChrisFL - 2009-06-12 10:12 PM

ha ha!!  Thanks Lora!  Hey I have a question.......how fast does someone in relatively good physical condition run a mile.  I have heard of the 'ten minute mile' but I found that today when I really slowed down my pace that I had my BEST run ever.  I felt like I was gliding on air.  I wasn't breathless (but comfortable and could have had a conversation while running at this pace).  It was the most enjoyable run I have ever had and I think it's because my whole body was finally in sync.  I wasn't overstriding which I tend to do and my heart rate was good (I could feel it and recognize it was where I like to keep it at 135ish).  But I was definately running MUCHO slower than a ten minute mile.  At this slower pace I can absolutely run the 3.1 miles necessary for a 5K.  But what I'm wondering is this okay?  Or would it be more advisable for me to push my running to a faster speed- a ten minute or less mile and build up to more miles that way.  Or is it better that I can run the entire mileage now just slower and how then do I build up my speed?  Sorry- not sure if this is making ANY sense at all.  Christine

Great question, Christine.  OK.  Now's a good time to remind everyone that I'm not a coach, but from my experience - especially in endurance events - work on distance first and then speed.  You can start incorporating speedwork into your training and, I think you'll find, that once you start running longer distances, you will get a little bit faster in your shorter distances.  Unless there's a cutoff in a race, you just take however long it needs to cross that finish line!  Now, I hope THAT wasn't confusing! 
2009-06-13 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2214828

Elite
Puyallup, WA
ChrisFL - 2009-06-12 9:12 PM

ha ha!!  Thanks Lora!  Hey I have a question.......how fast does someone in relatively good physical condition run a mile.  I have heard of the 'ten minute mile' but I found that today when I really slowed down my pace that I had my BEST run ever.  I felt like I was gliding on air.  I wasn't breathless (but comfortable and could have had a conversation while running at this pace).  It was the most enjoyable run I have ever had and I think it's because my whole body was finally in sync.  I wasn't overstriding which I tend to do and my heart rate was good (I could feel it and recognize it was where I like to keep it at 135ish).  But I was definately running MUCHO slower than a ten minute mile.  At this slower pace I can absolutely run the 3.1 miles necessary for a 5K.  But what I'm wondering is this okay?  Or would it be more advisable for me to push my running to a faster speed- a ten minute or less mile and build up to more miles that way.  Or is it better that I can run the entire mileage now just slower and how then do I build up my speed?  Sorry- not sure if this is making ANY sense at all.  Christine

I'm not a coach either - No way, Jose!  However, I will share a few things I've picked up. 

From your prior posts it seems like you're the type of person who has to have everything lined up ahead of time and know every detail before you step foot on the track - - so to speak.  I wouldn't necessarily put myself in that category - because it seems like to me you probably don't need nearly as much training as you think you do.  I've come to realize - anyone can do a 5K.  The challenges are...will they be able to run it all? (If natural runner - probably) AND how will they feel the next (few) day(s)?  I believe my training has allowed me to jog a 5K and to be a little sore - but I can probably get back out tomorrow without too much problem...

Maybe a good idea - is for you to go watch a 5K or a triathlon or whatever...- - that will give you an idea of what you're "up against" both in actual competitors and actual race.

First of all - I just ran a 5K!  (2nd time I've EVER run all of a 5K!!)  My goal was to run it all.  (And I did!!!) What's your goal?  Is your goal to be competitive??  Then you'll probably want ATLEAST an 8 minute mile!  Is your goal to finish it?  Then it sounds like you could do one tomorrow!

That's SOOO awesome that you're thinking about your pace, etc.  I've read and heard that you have to think about your body and actions, etc...And I've experienced a little bit of "I can do this" mentality WHILE I'm actually doing it...vs. before or after!  It's such a great feeling!

Anyway - I think it's like anything in life...what do you want to do?  Why do you want to do it?  Plan ahead and JUST DO IT! (Nike marketers weren't too far off, were they??)

Hope this helps...

Oh and my race report will prob be put up soon...

2009-06-13 8:13 PM

Veteran
Northern VA
Here is my race report from last weekend's 5khttp://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=163460

hope everyone is having a good weekend!
Kami 
2009-06-13 9:06 PM
in reply to: #2215676

Veteran
Queens, NY
Great race, Kami! I can only imagine what it must have been like trying to bob and weave through so many people.
2009-06-13 9:18 PM

Veteran
Wyoming
crazy week....will try to catch up later with everyone.

My swim challenge was met - I did 1.1miles

Sharie
2009-06-13 11:06 PM

Illinois

Hey, Kami,

My daughter walked in the race in D.C.  Her office did it as a group.  She said since she hadn't been running in a while she didn't want to have to compete with the runners from her office.   She enjoyed it quite a lot.

Sue

2009-06-14 10:07 AM

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Great race, Kami!

Way to meet your goal for the week, Sharie!

2009-06-14 10:09 AM

Master
Loveland, Ohio
This is just a friendly reminder that this past week's reports are due by the end of the day today.  Looking forward to some higher numbers this week...
2009-06-14 11:18 AM

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
freeflykami - 2009-06-13 8:13 PM Here is my race report from last weekend's 5khttp://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=163460

hope everyone is having a good weekend!
Kami 

Excellent time.

Most races have the results from the previous year posted online.  I check out the results and estimate how fast I'll run and use that to determine where I should be at the start.  I also ask the people around me how fast they think they'll be running.

Denise
2009-06-14 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2216252

Veteran
Northern VA
LadyNorth - 2009-06-14 12:18 PM

Excellent time.

Most races have the results from the previous year posted online.  I check out the results and estimate how fast I'll run and use that to determine where I should be at the start.  I also ask the people around me how fast they think they'll be running.

Denise

Thank you! And thanks for the advise. I did look at the results from last year, but I think I only paid attention to the first place finishers... they were at 17:00!!!  I had no idea there would be nearly 1,000 runners just in my age group! Lesson learned.
2009-06-14 3:50 PM

Met my goal for the week - 2 swim workouts, 2 bike, 1 run, 1 yoga and 1 strength training = 7 total.
Mary Sue
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36