BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-01-08 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2602719

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

ANNE -

You do Route Manager, eh? I'm impressed! That's another thing thatvis way beyond my capabilities!

(Heck, I can't even figure out how to use the full-range-of-emotion yellow smilies! )

2010-01-08 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2602549

User image

Champion

HRM SURVEY (preliminary results):

Garmin 305 -- 4
Sportline -- 1
Polar F6 -- 1
Polar RS100 -- 1
Polar F7 -- 1

Edited by stevebradley 2010-01-08 6:42 PM
2010-01-08 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2597145

User image

Champion

GROOVETIME! for LISA ----

USA FIT HALF MARATHON

Sunday the 10th!
Sugar Land, TX
(University of Houston)
7am start
www.usafitmarathon.com

Major mojo coming your way, Lisa!

2010-01-08 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2602772

User image

Champion

WETSUIT snippet -

Thinking about recent, and spuured by Denise saying she needs to go shopping soon.

Buy tight! When you try one on, it should NOT go on and come off easily. Also, it should feel somewhat constrictive around the chest. However, check for range of motion of your arms, if you are buying a "full" suit (with sleeves); you do not want to have your stroke compromised by a suit that dramatically limits the reach of your stroke.

The advantages to tight are two-fold: less bagginesss and subsequent drag, and better warmth through a tightly-confined layer of water between your body and the suit.

That's a start!
2010-01-08 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2602741

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-01-08 10:51 AM ANNE - You do Route Manager, eh? I'm impressed! That's another thing thatvis way beyond my capabilities! (Heck, I can't even figure out how to use the full-range-of-emotion yellow smilies! )

Yeah - I probably spend WAY too much time plotting -  can you guess that I want it as accurate as possible.     But we do a lot of the same routes so it is good.     You should see my 'custom' nutrition meals.   Laughing  

NO, not gone for the weekend.   Just an early 'happy weekend' wish.   

Plans are to swim this afternoon; ride long tomorrow; and run 6km on Sunday with a long swim in the 50 meter pool, afterwards.  

What are you up to?  
2010-01-08 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2559115

Rita!

I've just bought an RS100 from Polar and am very happy with it. It is simple but sufficient for my needs. I think you should be able to get that for about $80. 

2010-01-08 11:21 AM

Steve!

If we're not done discussing shoes, could you please let me know what you think of the ones I posted about on page 28? Have you seen them "in the flesh" anywhere?

Arthur
2010-01-08 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2602984

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Good! Glad you're not gone!

You customize your meals? Like, with an actual plan? You must be the most "compartmentalized" person east of the Wawa goose!

As for me this weekend:
swim - Tomorrow
run - Hopefully today. I've been babying Achilles concerns, haven't run in about a week, plan to test it today. If not today, then tomorrow.
bike - Trainer this evening. CompuTrainer sometime tomorrow. Rollers tomorrow.

I need to return some stuff to a Chapters tomorrow, and then will sit in a Starbucks and feel the pulse of humanity around me -- make me feel a quasi-functional memebr of humanity (it's lonely here in the sticks..... ). Lynn is off to Toronto until latelate tomorrow evening, so it's just me and Luna. And, oh yeah, I'm going down to Cornwall shortly and visiting my old school - another dose of human contact!

2010-01-08 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2602405

User image

Champion
Calgary
stevebradley - 2010-01-08 7:06 AM

HEART RATE MONITOR USERS ----- IDENTIFY YOURSELVES!!!

No more hiding behind your chest straps! You must declare your use, right here, right now, and identify your equipment fully! Failure to do so will result in being hunted down by the Cardiac Cop Division of the Commonwealth of GrooveTime!

Thank you.

I have the Garmin 305. Not cheap. Only heart rate monitor I have used. Doesn't impress me. Seems to lose contact but I think quite a few people like them I don't use it. Just use the GPS functions.

Re: training using HR, I think one should have a history of training prior to using a HR monitor to train. Consider the advantage of using Perceived effort. I bought the Garmin, after having my 205 stolen, which lacks the HR Monitor, because I thought it was essential but found that at my level of fitness and training it was really useless.

my 2 cents.
2010-01-08 1:39 PM

New user
Steve,

Thanks for the information on protein supplement use. Anyone else use post-workout supplements?

As for HRM's, I do not use one currently. I'm intrigued by the Polar S725x for biking, all around use and fitness testing to define HR / RPE zones. I have no idea what my HR is, but am interested. I'm a numbers/tech geek (engineer) so this sort of device does intrigue me. Another reason I've leaned towards Polar units is for use while swimming.
2010-01-08 2:06 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario
It's hard to keep up with this group !! Lots of discussion on lots of subjects, I'll add my 2 cents to some of them.

Shoes - I ran for the last few years in Asics Gel Nimbus, a nice cushiony neutral shoe that I love but don't love the price of them so I decided to try a cheaper shoe this fall.  Bought a pair of mid priced Brooks and mid priced NB (I ran in NB for the first few years of my running life), one pair $120, the other $130.   Neither comes close to the comfort of the Nimbus ($189 here in southern ontario) but both are adequate.  In the spring when my mileage increases again I'll go back to the Nimbus I think.

Wetsuit - I'm also short and heavier (5'3, 140 lbs) and tried on a few different brands of wetsuit - found most to be made for long skinny people.  I ended up buying a Nineteen, not sure of the model but not the higher end suit.  For the person looking at the cold water race who is thinking of renting... go to stores now and try on every brand you can find to see which fits you best.  You may find a good deal on last years suits now, or you'll at least know if a rental suit is going to work for you.   Also be sure to swim in one before race day as it can take a bit of practice to get used to.

HRM - I have a Garmin 305 but don't train by HR.  Unlike a lot of competitive type triathletes I have no problem going easy.. I have more of a problem when I try to push myself.  When I have done speedwork in the past I like using pace/RPE.  If I ever get serious about this sport I may use HR but for now RPE works for me.

Weight training - In the past when I've tried to fit strength training into my week in addition to S/B/R I've found I wasnt' sufficiently recovered from the strength sessions and it negatively affected my other workouts, so I don't do any strength training at present.

Now a question for Steve - In the past at up to HIM distance I've just trained whatever I felt like doing each day, building up the long runs/rides to what I thought would get me through the race and it worked.  I finished although a lot of them were not pretty.   As I am comtemplating doing a full iron distance race this year I know I need to follow a more structured training plan.  In the past I have tried to tweak the generic BT plans to fit my life but it is hard to fit it all in.
I need a plan that fits around my 9 day ( 4 work, 5 off) work/ life schedule instead of one written for a 7 day week (5 work, 2 off)  In that 9 day period which would include one each long run and ride what other workouts would you suggest I do, with the goal being IM distance in Nov?   

2010-01-08 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2602054

User image

stevebradley - 2010-01-07 8:42 PM STEVE - Now I'm REAL curious as to how those zones have changed! You've certainly piqued my interest in this....now I just need to summon the funds! (My 61st is coming up very soon, so maybe I'll give myself a little gift!) And the other thing I need to summon is the courage to undertake that ordeal again. It's all in the name of sound science, right? I need to think some about your comments under "depressing". I'm not sure why you are depressed by maxing out at 180-185, and if there is any real reason to worry that things are going to get tougher in the coming weeks. Let's keep talking about this, okay?

Hey Steve,

Just kind of joking around a bit.  I figured if my running speed was being capped so I'd not go over 155 BPM, and I can actually go fast enough to get up to 160 or 161 BPM, then that just means I need (can) run faster and harder than I already am.  Just the lazy side of me coming out!  I will beat it back! 
2010-01-08 2:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Co-worker just talked me into signing up for warrior dash on 5/1/10.This is the first time it has been in Texas. Has anyone done one or heard of these?Sounds like a blast and she just wants the hat. If you haven't heard of these you can check out warriordash.com
2010-01-08 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2602199

User image

augeremt - 2010-01-08 2:28 AM
SAquavia - 2010-01-07 10:29 AM
smarx - 2010-01-07 7:14 AM Now...I don't own a wetsuit and was looking at renting one from www.wetsuitrental.com figuring that a) I can rent one to cover both races and if I decide to not continue tri'ing this is one less item I've purchased; b) I will be losing weight between now and June, so getting a suit now is a little premature and; c) what will be an ongoing race weight for me???

Hey!  I LOVE wetsuitrental.com.  I rented from them for 3 years, and on the fourth, just kept the suit (got a discount on it).  Definitely rent first.  You also might want to see if they are willing to send you  the suit in advance.  They were kind enough to send me suits about a month in advance of the race so I could get used to them.  I'd definitely try to arrange that if you get a suit with sleeves, as many people find them very constricting at first - I can't race with them at all.  I feel like the shoulders are getting squeezed to death.  Either way, you definitely want to get used to the feel of swimming in one, because it is a much different experience.  It can be claustrophobic at first, but once you get used to it, they are WONDERFUL equipment which will make you feel much more comfortable and confident in the water.

I'm glad this wetsuit question got asked, as I was just about to post it myself. I'm not quite sold on wearing a wetsuit, mostly because I've never felt comfortable in them (I grew up in Southern California where it's unnatural to need one in the water), and am worried that they'll restrict my movement too much in the shoulders. That, and I see it taking very long for me to take it off in T1). For my tri in April, the water temp is supposed to be 62-65 degrees, which is COLD, but is it cold enough to swim olympic distance without a wetsuit? Or am I just crazy and should suck it up and rent one?

I forgot to add that I'm also kinda short and plump/wide-hipped/pear-shaped/whatever you wanna call it, if you know what I mean, so most wetsuits generally don't fit well; they're usually too long in the arms and legs. Yet another reason to forgo the thing altogether.

-Kasia

My two cents - get the suit, especially if you're talking about an OLY distance.  62-65 degrees would make you comfortable with the sleeveless suit, so that'd largely take care of the arm constriction issues.  And with some practice, you can get that thing off in no time.  Literally, we're talking 15 seconds in transition (you likely have your torso out of the suit by the time you get to your bike, and then just muscle the sucker off!).  I think you'd make up more than that 15 seconds in the water with the flotation and the suit material making you slippery in the water. 
2010-01-08 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2602405

User image

stevebradley - 2010-01-08 6:06 AM HEART RATE MONITOR USERS ----- IDENTIFY YOURSELVES!!! No more hiding behind your chest straps! You must declare your use, right here, right now, and identify your equipment fully! Failure to do so will result in being hunted down by the Cardiac Cop Division of the Commonwealth of GrooveTime! Thank you.

I use a real simple Polar HRMhttp://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/F7.  Waterproof so I use it in my open water swims under the wetsuit.  Easy to read, and calculates total calories, average HR for the session and Max HR for that session. 

$129 on their site, but you can find them under $100 on Amazon or other discount sites.
2010-01-08 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2602426

User image

smarx - 2010-01-08 6:15 AM Alright...I'm pretty sure I'm back to having sugar in my blood stream vs the blood in a sugar stream that I have had for 2.5 weeks now. Not to mention all the adjustment of getting up 5 hours earlier than I was has finally taken set.

So I have another question. What do people use as recovery drinks, if any?

The reason I ask is prior to deciding on a tri, my main fitness related goals were lean muscle building and body fat reduction. So I added a protein shake to the mix. Biggest change I noticed is that my recovery time is significantly reduced and the one day after and two day after discomfort is gone. Does the protein do anything for me? I have no idea. I plan on continuing some strength training as I do enjoy it and going to a gym and not some lifting weights is a foreign idea to me (I never have and never will be a meathead).

I got Muscle Milk in powdered form (big buckets of it) - to keep it cheaper.  I think protein is critical!  I find that the more work I do, the more my body craves carbs, but I try to get as much protein (up to a gram per pound of body weight) per day to make sure I keep the lean muscle.

2010-01-08 2:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Anybody - Below are the temps for my spring tri - can I get by with a sleeveless wetsuit??

Mark - you've done this tri - what do you think?

It's a sprint

Water Temperatures

YearWater Temperature
200959 deg
200863 deg
200760 deg
200665 deg
200554 deg

Denise

2010-01-08 2:42 PM

User image

Steve,

(Yes, 5 posts in a row - as you can tell, I'm on my lunch break!

Getting back to gearing on the bike.  the Felt comes stock with an Ultegra 53/39T crankset, and a 12-25T cassette.

What do you think?  I'm assuming the 12-27 gives me more options on a bailout gear.  I think on the 12-27, I'd give up the 23 and 25 for a 24 and 27.   I guess that doesn't impact my speeds on flats and downhills, because I'd never be in those bottom two gears unless I'm in the small ring up front and climbing. 

On my ride this past weekend, on the steeper grades when things got nasty, I was standing up on the 23 and 25.  I was on a 8-9% grade at the time.  Do you think the 12-27 would enable me to stay in the saddle at those grades and steeper? 

Part of me wants to keep what I have for now and see if I can develop the power to handle those pitches more easily with what I have.  If I can't make progress by March, then I can look at swapping something out.

Thoughts?
2010-01-08 4:27 PM
in reply to: #2602230

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
SAquavia - 2010-01-07 10:29 AM

KASIA,

From the last paragraph of this post, it sounds like you are a girl, but I really haven't been able to figure it out from your posts.       

I am short (5'); smaller hips but large bust and the only wetsuit that I have found that will fit me is the Nineteen brand, Frequency.   I'm not sure how successful you will be renting one - usually they rent out the entry level models, but maybe you will be lucky.   Also, if the water temp isn't that cold, you could get away with a short sleeve one. 

If you do end up getting one, just make sure you practice alot with it before your first race.

Anne, haha, I am indeed a girl. Unconventional name and non-gender specific posts kinda hide that, so no worries. Good to hear that they do make suits for us full-figured women. I was kind of worried from the height and weight charts most companies put out, since they're geared towards smaller people.

How much in advance do most rental places rent their suits out? Is it enough to practice in them a bit?

-Kasia
2010-01-08 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2602343

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
STEVE -

Here's the link to the race I'll be doing:
http://bbsctri.com/rage/olympic-distance/

When I was looking through their pictures, I did see some non-wetsuit clad people, but I'm pretty sure those pics are from some of their races, and not just the April one since there's grass in them. And I'm pretty sure there's no green grass in Vegas.

The air temperature shouldn't be too cold, but not too warm either (54 - 78) so I guess coming out of the water freezing is not the way to go. I have swam in those temps for that amount of time before (quite often, actually), but I've never had to bike a considerable distance and run after that either. So I see your point

I recently bought a swim cap since I've started increasing my time at the pool, so the next thing on the list is Body Glide/PAM. But like you said, that can wait.

-Kasia
2010-01-08 5:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
I guess I should have noted that even though I have two different heart rate monitors, I don't really train by heart rate, other than to note my average and max heart rate after my runs ... and to go back and look at my pace during my runs compared with how I was feeling during the runs.  I got tired of using Map My Run to figure out the distances, so love that about my Garmin. Ha, I don't even know if I could read my heart rate on my Garmin when I was running, although I definitely can on my Polar.  It's a joke with my 11 year old when I come in after each of my runs and ask him to read the calories burned on my Garmin, hard to read even with the glasses on!

2010-01-08 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2603588

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Dwayne - 2010-01-08 2:17 PM Co-worker just talked me into signing up for warrior dash on 5/1/10.This is the first time it has been in Texas. Has anyone done one or heard of these?Sounds like a blast and she just wants the hat. If you haven't heard of these you can check out warriordash.com

That looks crazy! Ha, too bad I don't like mud. 

Lisa
2010-01-08 5:48 PM
in reply to: #2602549

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
STEVE -

Thanks for the response. I figured you'd be ok talking about shoes again, which is why I asked

I don't quite remember when I got these particular shoes, and if I'd used them for running before (I'm pretty sure I have, but not positive) since it's been a while. They were my go-to shoes over the summer for work and since then I've used them for just about any sport for which I don't have sport-specific shoes: indoor soccer, racquetball, kickball, and the list goes on. My Achilles are the most sore after racquetball (which makes sense with the torque that you mentioned) but I only noticed that after we started running a mile or two before practice on an indoor track. Before that, when we just had regular practice and no separate conditioning they were fine, I think. Again, I can't be sure.

So that's why I figured it was from straight running. My ankles are also pretty messed up from many years of soccer, and rugby just finished them off, so that could also be the case. But I've also never had problems with Achilles, just lateral ligaments, so I have no idea where that's coming from. Maybe it's my not doing any physical exercise over the summer and now going back into it full-throttle was too much. That was the downfall of my shoulders, but that's a whole other story.

In short, it may not be the shoes but rather me not starting off slow and steady and instead, getting involved in things too fast, too soon. On that note, I know you're supposed to increase distance by 10% every week. But where do you start that first week?

And yes, I'm in Boulder and I've seen a few running stores around that have treadmills and video cameras and such so I may check them out and try to find a free assessment. I checked out a link from the previous discussion we had about shoes and found that I have a medium arch and am an under-pronator. Does that help any?

I'm rambling, so that's it for now.
-Kasia
2010-01-08 5:51 PM
in reply to: #2603915

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
augeremt - 2010-01-08 4:36 PM STEVE -

Here's the link to the race I'll be doing:
http://bbsctri.com/rage/olympic-distance/

When I was looking through their pictures, I did see some non-wetsuit clad people, but I'm pretty sure those pics are from some of their races, and not just the April one since there's grass in them. And I'm pretty sure there's no green grass in Vegas.

The air temperature shouldn't be too cold, but not too warm either (54 - 78) so I guess coming out of the water freezing is not the way to go. I have swam in those temps for that amount of time before (quite often, actually), but I've never had to bike a considerable distance and run after that either. So I see your point

I recently bought a swim cap since I've started increasing my time at the pool, so the next thing on the list is Body Glide/PAM. But like you said, that can wait.

-Kasia

Kasia, that looks like a great race. I love Colorado. Actually did the Komen Race for the Cure in Aspen this summer. It was beautiful.
2010-01-08 6:04 PM
in reply to: #2603588

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Dwayne - 2010-01-08 1:17 PM Co-worker just talked me into signing up for warrior dash on 5/1/10.This is the first time it has been in Texas. Has anyone done one or heard of these?Sounds like a blast and she just wants the hat. If you haven't heard of these you can check out warriordash.com

That looks awesome! I noticed there's one in the Rockies in August, so I'm kind of tempted to do it with a group of friends. This kind of reminds me of Tough Guy in the UK, although much tamer:
http://www.toughguy.co.uk/
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=toughguy2007
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276