BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-06-15 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
Karen I totally missed your podium triumph -- great job!

Yanti, are you feeling any better?  Maybe you do need to buy one of those mosquito netting outfits.  Dengue fever sounds horrific. 

Montauk sounds like it was a great race -- congrats!

I am struggling a bit with not having a racing goal at the moment, and being a little aimless with my training (or lack thereof!).  Work has been kicking my butt -- I billed basically 40 hours more than my norm last month, so in essence squeezed in an entire weeks' plus worth of work over the course of 4 weeks, and I am wiped.  My big little guy turned 7 this past weekend (holy crap!) and we had birthdaypalooza with cake Friday night and a trip to the airport to pick op family from LI, then a pool party on Sat. (Squeezed in a ride with my brother in the evening, at least) and then traipsed around Disney all day Sunday (the boys got to do Jedi training!).   So active, but not much training going on around these parts.

But back to training -- I posted a really whiny message over on the Athena board about my frustrations, so I won't bore you too much with my whining here.  I know the past 4 weeks have been bad.  But aside from that, I just don't know how to balance it all!  I guess that's always the classic issue, though.  I need to pick a race!

Big flipper waves, everyone.

Edited by dinabean 2010-06-15 10:01 PM

2010-06-16 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2924298

User image

Melon Presser
dinabean - 2010-06-16 11:39 AM Karen I totally missed your podium triumph -- great job!

Yanti, are you feeling any better?  Maybe you do need to buy one of those mosquito netting outfits.  Dengue fever sounds horrific. 

Montauk sounds like it was a great race -- congrats!

I am struggling a bit with not having a racing goal at the moment, and being a little aimless with my training (or lack thereof!).  Work has been kicking my butt -- I billed basically 40 hours more than my norm last month, so in essence squeezed in an entire weeks' plus worth of work over the course of 4 weeks, and I am wiped.  My big little guy turned 7 this past weekend (holy crap!) and we had birthdaypalooza with cake Friday night and a trip to the airport to pick op family from LI, then a pool party on Sat. (Squeezed in a ride with my brother in the evening, at least) and then traipsed around Disney all day Sunday (the boys got to do Jedi training!).   So active, but not much training going on around these parts.

But back to training -- I posted a really whiny message over on the Athena board about my frustrations, so I won't bore you too much with my whining here.  I know the past 4 weeks have been bad.  But aside from that, I just don't know how to balance it all!  I guess that's always the classic issue, though.  I need to pick a race!

Big flipper waves, everyone.

Well ... if you ever figure it out, tell me, please please please?

You're there for your family. You work. You're active.

And by the way, you've made COLOSSAL strides in improvement this year. Just look back.

Sounds to me like you're balancing pretty well!

Now, as for always getting or doing what we want, in the ways and amounts we want ... heh.

2010-06-16 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2922356

User image

Melon Presser
quincyf - 2010-06-15 10:42 PM Morning manatees.  What are we all doing today?  Work?  Workouts?  Recreation?  All 3?

I am doing my standard kid care/wrangling routine all day.  DH has the day off but he has to go to the dentist.  We're in the taper for DD's school...yes Chicago Public Schools DRAG IT OUT until mid June and then it seems like they DRAG IT OUT for summer too...she won't go back until September 7th.

Tonight the Chicago Tri Club has a cool program called Stroke n Stride which is a lake swim followed by a 2m? run.  I am going to go.  I usually don't do stuff in the evening because it is DH and my time, but after my 3 minute T1 on Sunday, I am thinking it would be good to practice with some people around (for pointers) and under some time pressure (they time you and keep track for sort of a fun club competition).  DH is ok with it and we eat late anyway, and it's not like I go out in the evenings for girls night out or anything.  This sort of is my girls night out.  Pathetic.  haha.

Got my OLY in two weeks.  Kind of nervous about the swim as the longest I have gone is about 6 minutes (in a race) and I go all out and gas myself and obviously I can't do that for this race.  Going to be interesting to see how I handle the significantly longer swim.  I swim very differently in races.  Hmm.

Alright, enough about me, what is up with you all?  I feel like we are all going through a transition time...the initial excitement of training and racing has worn off a bit and a lot of us are looking at what is next...I know an IM is on the horizon for late 2011 for me...not sure exactly how yet, working on it as we speak...

I do deep-breathing meditation right before the race, as I'm lined up on shore or in the water, and here's the key ... I continue doing it for the first few minutes of the race. I MUST NOT SWIM ANY FASTER than what's needed to maintain that deep, even breathing.

Works for me.
2010-06-16 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2924057

User image

Melon Presser
thndrcloud - 2010-06-16 8:59 AM Welcome back Kerry!  Sorry about your hubby's accident but I'm glad he's doing better.  Get better Yanti and if you're not skip the race.  But I hope you don't have to.

My worst Achilles' heel (out of many) is that I will not skip a race unless I cannot, actually, BODILY, be there. No matter how many times I've done a race dog-sick (once I got discharged from a hospital, got on a plane, got off, ran a marathon, and paid for it for the next six months) and then regretted it, I just won't back out of them.

It's not like I have anything to prove, or really care that much about the money--I think it's a sickness all by itself.

I'm pretty busy the next few days, so if I keel over, I won't do the race. Also, I'm close friends with every person who has any type of directorship in this race, and they all know I'm just getting over dengue, so they may make that call for me. I'd still show up with a cowbell, though.
2010-06-16 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2925512

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
TriAya - 2010-06-16 11:14 AM
quincyf - 2010-06-15 10:42 PM Morning manatees.  What are we all doing today?  Work?  Workouts?  Recreation?  All 3?

I am doing my standard kid care/wrangling routine all day.  DH has the day off but he has to go to the dentist.  We're in the taper for DD's school...yes Chicago Public Schools DRAG IT OUT until mid June and then it seems like they DRAG IT OUT for summer too...she won't go back until September 7th.

Tonight the Chicago Tri Club has a cool program called Stroke n Stride which is a lake swim followed by a 2m? run.  I am going to go.  I usually don't do stuff in the evening because it is DH and my time, but after my 3 minute T1 on Sunday, I am thinking it would be good to practice with some people around (for pointers) and under some time pressure (they time you and keep track for sort of a fun club competition).  DH is ok with it and we eat late anyway, and it's not like I go out in the evenings for girls night out or anything.  This sort of is my girls night out.  Pathetic.  haha.

Got my OLY in two weeks.  Kind of nervous about the swim as the longest I have gone is about 6 minutes (in a race) and I go all out and gas myself and obviously I can't do that for this race.  Going to be interesting to see how I handle the significantly longer swim.  I swim very differently in races.  Hmm.

Alright, enough about me, what is up with you all?  I feel like we are all going through a transition time...the initial excitement of training and racing has worn off a bit and a lot of us are looking at what is next...I know an IM is on the horizon for late 2011 for me...not sure exactly how yet, working on it as we speak...

I do deep-breathing meditation right before the race, as I'm lined up on shore or in the water, and here's the key ... I continue doing it for the first few minutes of the race. I MUST NOT SWIM ANY FASTER than what's needed to maintain that deep, even breathing.

Works for me.

Well, that's a fantastic idea, don't mind if I do.  I'll report back after the race.  Thanks Y, and love the new avatar pic... 
2010-06-16 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2925706

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
The breathing idea is a great one.  Of course I went out way too fast last year in the swim part of races.  I did the slow, deliberate breathing on shore while waiting to go in.  Now I will have to try to continue that for x # of stroke or X # of minutes.  Thanks!

2010-06-17 4:29 PM

User image

Master
Hi there Manatees.  I've been absent for a week or so, but I think I'm all caught up.  Looks like everyone is doing great this racing season!!!  I had a charity ride this past Saturday.  It was supposed to be my first century, but I knew a couple of weeks ago that I wasn't going to be able to do the 100 miles.  I did complete the metric century, but it just wasn't the same and was not very satisfying.  I thought since I trained for and completed the marathon in March, that I could train for and complete this with no problem.  Not so.  Not sure why.  After my ride, I did stick around to cheer for my group of friends that was doing the century.  Once they came across the finish line, I gave them all a hug and a congrats.  I didn't stick around though...I was so overly dissappointed in myself that I cried all the way home.  Dumb, I know.  And it's still a sore spot.

Anywho, sorry I just completely unloaded. 

Hope everyone has a good evening.  I'm going to try for a short run, but it's 95 degrees out...sheesh!
2010-06-17 5:08 PM
in reply to: #2928933

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
You didn't fail Carla.  We all have our off days and it just stinks when that off day is on a "race" day. Plus you have really had heat and cross winds to deal with.  It almost sounds like the Ironman Kona bike route with that 105 heat index and constant strong crosswinds that you mentioned. That can take a toll on your body physically and mentally.  I am proud of you for still sticking it out for 65 miles in those conditions...that's a great accomplishment!
2010-06-18 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2928933

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Carla -- I've felt disappointed in myself before and it's not a fun feeling. Any advice I can give is, that's what you were capable of at that moment, you did that much and just move on. Learn and move on and try not to flog yourself too much. Big flipper manatee hugs..

Now, who's racing this weekend?

I'm deciding on whether to do a long bike ride on Sat. morning instead of a long run. My ITB is bothering me and not in a good way. I've had some issues with my entire right leg this week so I'm going out for a little run here in a bit to test it. Father's Day is up in the air. May go for a ride with DH, depending on how his knee is feeling.Some swimming for me later today, too.

Happy Father's Day everyone!!

2010-06-18 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Hi Manatee peeps!  I'm off to sunny Florida for vacation for a week.  I hope everyone that has a race has a fabulous time! 

Big manatee flipper flaps for all.
2010-06-18 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2930665

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

Have fun on your vacation Carla!  Safe travels as well.  Don't forget to get a nice warm water training swim in    And if you see a manatee/one of our relatives let us know!

2010-06-18 11:55 PM
in reply to: #2930720

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Yes, have fun in sunny, hot Florida! I was just checking some logs and looks like a lot of us have tris on 6/27..that will be a big manatee weekend...

2010-06-19 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hey all, have a happy Father's Day.  Have fun on vacay Carla!  

I bagged on my workout this morning.  I rarely do that, but the baby had me up at 2am (no biggie) and I had a sore throat and with this Oly coming up on Saturday I decided that if it was still sore at 445, I was going to go back to bed.  I barely remember turning the alarm off.

At this point I think my fitness is what it is.

BabyDaddy and I are going to go for a long bike tomorrow am and then have brunch!!!  Yay!  

2010-06-19 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2931531

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
We drove to Indianapolis last night to see my brother-in-law's new house. Then we are leaving this morning to drive to Columbus, OH to visit a college friend for her bday. Then driving back to Chicago tomorrow night. Sigh...I hate weekends like this. Luckily I was up early this morning and got in a 4 mile run around the neighborhood. It was a nice change of pace seeing different streets, houses, etc though.  Have a good weekend and Father's Day tomorrow everyone. It seems like just yesterday that we were celebrating Mother's Day!
2010-06-19 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
We need to gather in a manatee circle and give Yanti our flipper hugs for her speedy recovery from dengue fever and the loss of her friend's parents.  We're here for you as always and you're in our thoughts and prayers.
2010-06-19 11:29 AM
in reply to: #2931575

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Big hugs and prayers for Yanti.....<3

Good idea to rest up Quincy -- sometimes that's the best training decision. And, wow, you Midwesterners sure spend a lot of time in the car... yeah, right, like we don't! Anyway, glad you got your a.m. run in Ryan. I'll be south of Indianapolis at my cousins over the 4th. Lots of humid runs and lake swims are in my future.

Again, Happy Father's Day everyone.

2010-06-20 2:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Happy Father's Day to all the baby daddies.  At least the good ones

I had a good week with my training but this weekend everything has pretty much been kicked to the curb.  I was supposed to do two runs and a ride this weekend and none of it has, or will, happen.  We had a baby shower and birthday party to attend yesterday in the western 'burbs so we left the house around 1 and got home close to 10 with about 3 hours of driving in between.  Yesterday morning and all day today we've been sorting, packing and schlepping stuff to storage.  The house is a disaster, the garage looks like a war zone and the kids are running wild. 

I may not be "training" but I'm definitely getting a workout.  Lunch break is over so I'd best get back to it in case we get another round of storms.
2010-06-20 3:28 PM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
I'm baaaaaack! Did you miss me?

I'm finally fully recovered and ready to jump back into training. I did an easy six mile bike and a little over a mile run this afternoon. My ankle held up just fine during both. I'm feeling it a little now, but just the standard post run ache.

I'm pretty much starting from scratch, so I don't know if I'll be ready for the tri in August I was looking at. Plus, it's hotter than hell here in August and I'm a big baby when it comes to heat. I'm volunteering at a race next weekend and I'm really looking forward to it. Apparently it's a really fun race for volunteers, which is good. :D
2010-06-20 5:11 PM
in reply to: #2932785

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Welcome back! Of course, we missed you Emily. Glad you're starting out easy. That's very smart.

And, Allison, good luck with the move. I'm not sure tri training and moving households really goes together. Good luck with it all. I guess you bought another house?

2010-06-21 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2932882

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hi everyone!  Happy Monday...

Did anyone race this weekend?  

I had a pretty bad crash this weekend.  The bike is ok, but I am a bit beat up.  Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on swimming with road rash and skinned knees/elbows?  I am not going to get in the pool, as that seems unsanitary.  I have been doing OWS more lately anyway since it's warm...not sure if I can stand getting the wetsuit on/off, but I think it's warm enough to do without...so...you guys think it's ok to OWS with "war wounds?"

Oh, and I can wholeheartedly endorse the Giro Ionos.  I will be purchasing a new one shortly.  Worth every freakin' penny.  Mine has two cracks all the way through.  I am just thankful I didn't do worse damage to my head or neck.  My husband was right behind me and after he managed to avoid running me over (I did get run over by one guy who then crashed himself...I didn't notice) he checked me out.  He said he is astonished I didn't sustain some sort of extremity fracture.

Truth is I was going too fast for the conditions.  I am re-examining my decision making on the bike right now.  I am fortunate I didn't end my season, or worse end up with more serious injuries.  As it is my ego is bruised, my brand new team kit is torn, and my bike is a mess...I'll take the consequences and be grateful.

Be careful out there manatees!  Heart, Q

2010-06-21 11:29 AM
in reply to: #2932785

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Welcome back Emily.  It's good to hear that your mini workout did not cause you any further pain or complications.   That's also great that you're volunteering for a race...without volunteers our races would not be nearly as enjoyable/successful.  I think it's important to both race and volunteer from time to time.

Q- Wow!  I am glad that you're okay overall.  Sorry to hear about the damage to your equipment though but thankfully you are in much better condition which is more important that physical items.

2010-06-21 12:49 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Hi Manatees!

Carla, doing 100K instead of 100mi was 100% brilliant. I don't have that kind of brilliance. Ultimately it seems like it was a much wiser training decision for you. Believe me, I understand that feeling like you've lost out on something (in fact, I avoid it to the point of losing out MUCH BIGGER, which you don't, which is why you deserve big Manatee high-flippers).

Welcome back Emily! Volunteering is super karma. Train for fun and see what happens in August.

Quincy, I'm so sorry about the crash. Blech! As for swimming--some pools have a no-wounds policy, others don't care. It's more unhygienic to yourself than others, and you'll slightly delay the healing, but unless it's very extensive or deep, not a problem. You could also cover with waterproof bandage, or that really nifty stuff that comes out of a bottle (expensive, though). As for lake swimming, look into recent water bio tests ... might be there's stuff there you really do not want coming in contact with healing wounds. But otherwise, go for it.

So. Lynn is going to smack me a big one with her Manatee flippers for this (as she should) but I went ahead and did the tri. I have never been in as much physical pain (muscle/joint type) as I am today, and I've had a broken vertebra with two ruptured discs before.

Short story: do not do a tri, do not train, do not do any kind of race if you have some horrid tropical illness and emotionally you're whomped, too.

Long story: I don't regret it.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the Manatee love and prayers. It's been a tough time.
2010-06-21 12:57 PM

User image

Regular
Yanti, you are NUTS!!!  But congrats and PLEASE take it easy this week.   Can you do that?

Hello Emily!  Welcome back!  Definitely train for fun... good times

Q - I agree with Yanti, pool swimming with a waterproof bandage should be okay if the wound isn't too deep.  It's a lot more sanitary than OWS!   I am so sorry you had the crash though. Scary stuff and you are lucky!  Way to go Giro!!

I am a little behind in my training, by I am out there.  Doing more cycling this week cuz I will be at the beach sans bike next week.  At least I will get a lot of OWS practice down.

Have a great Manatee day all!
2010-06-21 1:00 PM

User image

Regular
Allison!  Sounds like you are running around nuts!  Good luck with it all... and a glass o' vino at the end of the day will help
2010-06-21 1:22 PM
in reply to: #2934607

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
kerryd - 2010-06-21 1:00 PM Allison!  Sounds like you are running around nuts!  Good luck with it all... and a glass o' vino at the end of the day will help

Does it have to be just one?

Lynn, we haven't bought a new house, just sold this one, which makes packing an even bigger pain.  Everything is going into storage so it all has to be sorted to make sure that it's not something we'll need in the next few months.  Once it's boxed it has to be arranged in storage so the things we don't think we'll need but could end up needing anyway are at the front while the stuff we're sure we won't need (Christmas tree?) are at the back.  It's tedious, time consuming and I wish I could just throw it all in big black trash bags and forget it.

We're moving in with my parents this weekend to save money for a down payment.  We'll hopefully be in a new house in September.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60