BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2010-07-06 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2963246

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED
juneapple - 2010-07-06 11:29 AM Greetings from the Emerald Isle!

Hope everyone is doing great.  Looks like lots of new activity to catch up on when I get home.  Haven't done much exercising while I've been here... but lots of incredible music and sights.  Did rent bikes yesterday on Innishmore (Aran Islands) and thought of you all.  Beautiful spot... lousy bike, but can't complain about the route!  After I get back I guess I am going to have to get back to the training schedule... just hope I haven't gained too many pounds enjoying the "water" over here :-)

Stu

Beautiful.  I love the roads like that in Ireland and GB.  I wish I had been a cyclist when I lived there.

2010-07-06 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2963246

User image

Regular
juneapple - 2010-07-06 11:29 AM Greetings from the Emerald Isle!

Hope everyone is doing great.  Looks like lots of new activity to catch up on when I get home.  Haven't done much exercising while I've been here... but lots of incredible music and sights.  Did rent bikes yesterday on Innishmore (Aran Islands) and thought of you all.  Beautiful spot... lousy bike, but can't complain about the route!  After I get back I guess I am going to have to get back to the training schedule... just hope I haven't gained too many pounds enjoying the "water" over here :-)

Stu

Stu,

Ah, I fondly remember that bike ride from the ferry up to the castle.  I went nearly a decade ago with my newlywed wife and mother-in-law (fortunately, we had already taken a honeymoon, so it's not as bad as it sounds...  My wife's grandfather came over from Ireland and my MIL had never been, so we took her over for her 60th birthday.)  Given the great travel deals now, we actually decided to take our kids over in the fall and I'm hoping to rent bikes and take this ride again.  We have a wager with them to see if they are faster than their grandmother.

Enjoy the local BEvERages...

- Mark
2010-07-06 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2775149

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Cool! Just got an email from the race director for the race on Sunday. Packet pickup is Saturday at the race site. The course will be all set up and marked including the swim. Guess what? Any of the race participants are welcome to swim, bike or run the course. I guess I'll be taking a pair of jammers to pick up my packet.  Smile I feel better being able have swam in the lake before the race. Actually I'm pretty jazzed about it!
2010-07-07 6:26 AM
in reply to: #2964599

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-07-06 8:40 PM Cool! Just got an email from the race director for the race on Sunday. Packet pickup is Saturday at the race site. The course will be all set up and marked including the swim. Guess what? Any of the race participants are welcome to swim, bike or run the course. I guess I'll be taking a pair of jammers to pick up my packet.  Smile I feel better being able have swam in the lake before the race. Actually I'm pretty jazzed about it!

That's great news.  Sounds like a very well organized race.  It'll make a lot of difference in your comfort-level on race day, and I think that's very helpful on the swim.
2010-07-07 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Did a run at 7:30 tonight and don't think my Garmin liked it. My pace looks eratic on the chart, jumping up and down. When running I thought I had increased my pace but watch said I was 30sec/mile slower but HR was higher. So I'm thinking the heat/haze might have been a factor. It was about 100 degree with humidity. Well, off to swim now.

But before I go I have one question. Growing up as an athlete (none endurance) I've read many articles, researches and claims. One thing that stuck in mind is your hormone glands can only produce so much for short period of time. I think it was around 90 minutes. Now this research was for strength training. Not sure how this would apply to endurance training. Reason why I'm thinking about this now is because I did a 25 minutes run at 7:30pm, came home to help with kids bedtime, now getting ready to go do about 45 minutes swim workout at 10pm. So I'm wondering what's going inside me, am I doing more damage then good or more good then bad. Would it be better if I just waited and do both back to back? I'm sure it would be best if I did them farther apart but my schedule makes it difficult.

===
Don't know if anyone read this yet but no one posted anything after so I'm adding to it.

Back from a good swim workout. 10 x 50m, 200m drills (including sighting), 4 x25m. I deffinitely feel the affects of missing two weeks, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I did struggle with the breathing, couple more workouts should get lungs back in gear.

Edited by sstucker 2010-07-07 10:44 PM
2010-07-08 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2967271

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sstucker - 2010-07-07 9:53 PM Did a run at 7:30 tonight and don't think my Garmin liked it. My pace looks eratic on the chart, jumping up and down. When running I thought I had increased my pace but watch said I was 30sec/mile slower but HR was higher. So I'm thinking the heat/haze might have been a factor. It was about 100 degree with humidity. Well, off to swim now. But before I go I have one question. Growing up as an athlete (none endurance) I've read many articles, researches and claims. One thing that stuck in mind is your hormone glands can only produce so much for short period of time. I think it was around 90 minutes. Now this research was for strength training. Not sure how this would apply to endurance training. Reason why I'm thinking about this now is because I did a 25 minutes run at 7:30pm, came home to help with kids bedtime, now getting ready to go do about 45 minutes swim workout at 10pm. So I'm wondering what's going inside me, am I doing more damage then good or more good then bad. Would it be better if I just waited and do both back to back? I'm sure it would be best if I did them farther apart but my schedule makes it difficult. === Don't know if anyone read this yet but no one posted anything after so I'm adding to it. Back from a good swim workout. 10 x 50m, 200m drills (including sighting), 4 x25m. I deffinitely feel the affects of missing two weeks, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I did struggle with the breathing, couple more workouts should get lungs back in gear.

Good job on the swim!

Don't worry about doing the swim that soon after the run.  It's fine.

Theory and practice are pretty far apart for a lot of us on this one -- other time commitments force us into non-ideal workout schedules.

I would say that the 'rules' you should worry about are these:

1. Keep 48 hours between very hard sessions in bike.  Probably better to think it terms of 72 hours for the run.  (This doesn't mean don't bike or run at all during those 48 or 72 hours, but don't bike or run particularly hard.)

2.  Try to avoid putting two very hard workouts (especially bike and run) on the same day.

3.  Try to get some zone 2 stimulation as frequently and consistently as possible.  So, for example, if you have an easy run and a swim scheduled in one day, it is better to spread them out in the day, so that you get some stimulation in the morning, and then another in the evening.  But, as I said above (not that it needed saying as we all already know it), this can be tough to do.  It is far preferable to do what you did than to skip the workout.

Edited by Experior 2010-07-08 12:31 PM

2010-07-08 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2968605

User image

Expert
Salem
Experior - 2010-07-08 10:31 AM
sstucker - 2010-07-07 9:53 PM Did a run at 7:30 tonight and don't think my Garmin liked it. My pace looks eratic on the chart, jumping up and down. When running I thought I had increased my pace but watch said I was 30sec/mile slower but HR was higher. So I'm thinking the heat/haze might have been a factor. It was about 100 degree with humidity. Well, off to swim now. But before I go I have one question. Growing up as an athlete (none endurance) I've read many articles, researches and claims. One thing that stuck in mind is your hormone glands can only produce so much for short period of time. I think it was around 90 minutes. Now this research was for strength training. Not sure how this would apply to endurance training. Reason why I'm thinking about this now is because I did a 25 minutes run at 7:30pm, came home to help with kids bedtime, now getting ready to go do about 45 minutes swim workout at 10pm. So I'm wondering what's going inside me, am I doing more damage then good or more good then bad. Would it be better if I just waited and do both back to back? I'm sure it would be best if I did them farther apart but my schedule makes it difficult. === Don't know if anyone read this yet but no one posted anything after so I'm adding to it. Back from a good swim workout. 10 x 50m, 200m drills (including sighting), 4 x25m. I deffinitely feel the affects of missing two weeks, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I did struggle with the breathing, couple more workouts should get lungs back in gear.

Good job on the swim!

Theory and practice are pretty far apart for a lot of us on this one -- other time commitments force us into non-ideal workout schedules.

1. Keep 48 hours between very hard sessions in bike.  Probably better to think it terms of 72 hours for the run.  (This doesn't mean don't bike or run at all during those 48 or 72 hours, but don't bike or run particularly hard.)

2.  Try to avoid putting two very hard workouts (especially bike and run) on the same day.

3.  Try to get some zone 2 stimulation as frequently and consistently as possible.  So, for example, if you have an easy run and a swim scheduled in one day, it is better to spread them out in the day, so that you get some stimulation in the morning, and then another in the evening.  But, as I said above (not that it needed saying as we all already know it), this can be tough to do.  It is far preferable to do what you did than to skip the workout.

Last night was an example of the above.  I didn't get my swim in tuesday so I paired it up last night with my bike workout.  However, it has been particularly hot; yesterday in the high 90"s so I elected to ride the spinning bike indoors and with hot weather in Oregon comes high winds in the afternoon and evening.  I did not do any intervals in my swim as I have a race on Sat. but chose to do a hard 900 yds. close to race pace and then another 900 a little slower.  I used a bouy between my legs as I knew I had a 60 min. bike workout to do with a 24 min. tempo ride in the middle.  I also want to simulate swimming with a wetsuit by using the bouy.  The next two days I have a 25 min. recovery run to do and on Friday a 25 min. recovery bike ride.  Trying to fit it in where I can without missing the workout.  Sometimes it doesn't make sense and I won't make the workouts up.

Edited by TriGuyBri 2010-07-08 1:28 PM
2010-07-08 8:22 PM

User image

Expert
The last few days have been intensely hot here. Heat index of 104 for the past 3 days. My husband broke down and put the AC in today. I've wimped out and done all workouts at the gym since Sunday.

I'm thinking of biking on the trainer tonight once the room cools down below 90

We spent last sunday at the lake, and I got in a great OWS. Going every couple of weeks is  definitely helping my confidence in the water. The portion of the lake that I swim in is clear and beautiful, but pretty choppy. So, it's a good workout.

I also did a bunch of kayaking. All of my nieces and nephews wanted to go out for turns. I think I kayaked for about 2 hours. My 4 year old son hasn't stopped talking about the kayak and swimming in the middle of the lake off the pontoon boat! We're hoping to go back again this weekend.
2010-07-08 9:48 PM
in reply to: #2968605

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Experior - 2010-07-08 1:31 PM
br />
Good job on the swim!

I sometimes, well all the time, over analyze things. I've over trained twice, once at 24 and second time at 31. First time I neglected rest and nutrition. I added volleyball to my 4 day a week strength training which was not the negative but drinking and neglecting rest & nutrition killed all the gains I made the previous year. The second time I was playing close to 15 ball games (slow pitch - lots of running) and two 1 hour ball hockey games a week. This time it took me two years to recover and never got back to same level I was at.

Marathon training was easy because I kept a three day a week routine which worked well. Made a lot of progress. Now started multisports training which requires two a day sessions to get three workouts per sport. So I'm seeing the pattern again lots of activity with short rest (this time work and kids affecting). I am staying on top of my nutrition and only having occasional drinks. The good thing is at this time my sessions are short so maybe I shouldn't worry too much. I'm taking it slowly now but my competitive side wants to go harder. I'm trying to find the balance but my experiences have made me very conservative which you've probably seen in my workouts. Injury to my foot, changed stride to get faster, didn't help either.

So now, I'm trying to find new approach. One that will get my confidence back and will get me to the finish line at first IM in 2013. I know I can do IM before then, but I want to finish my first one strong.

Anyway, I'll stop my brain dump so I don't bore everyone.

Edited by sstucker 2010-07-08 9:51 PM
2010-07-09 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2969672

User image

Regular
slow turtle - 2010-07-08 9:22 PM The last few days have been intensely hot here. Heat index of 104 for the past 3 days. My husband broke down and put the AC in today. I've wimped out and done all workouts at the gym since Sunday.

I'm thinking of biking on the trainer tonight once the room cools down below 90

It's hot over here, too.  I only got one run in this week due to the heat.  In fact, I only ran 3 miles and then took a 10 minute cold shower to cool down.  I got out of the shower and was still sweating, so I went back in for another 10 mins...  On the updside, I've been pushing harder on my bike and swim and have dropped another couple of pounds.  Only 7 more to go until my final target race weight. 

Stay cool!
- Mark
2010-07-09 5:56 PM
in reply to: #2971143

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
OneFastMule - 2010-07-09 1:24 PM  On the updside, I've been pushing harder on my bike and swim and have dropped another couple of pounds.  Only 7 more to go until my final target race weight. 

Way to go!

Yeah, hot here too.  I've managed so far to keep the A/C off, and now that we've survived an entire week of 100+ temps during the day with no A/C, I think we can actually make it through the summer!

I'm headed off to Chattanooga this weekend, but I should have internet, so I'll check in.  Good luck to all racers this weekend!

2010-07-09 6:01 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Good luck everyone on your races this weekend.  Push it to the limit everyone!!!  Look forward to reading everyones Race Reports.

Brian
2010-07-09 6:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
We've had a good storm come through Toronto today which help cool off. We also were in the 100s all week.

Good luck to all racers, looking forward to read some race reports.
2010-07-10 8:49 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey everyone-I'm in Chattanooga for race tomorrow.  Hope to catch up with Michael this afternoon at packet pick up.  Have to say I'm really anxious (butterflies) about the race tomorrow.  First tri this season with last being October 2009.  Last running race was January when I hurt my hamstring so really just back to running consistently the last 6-8 weeks.  I feel good with just a little tightness in the hamstring that still has not resolved-usually clears up after a mile or two.

I've done Olympic before so I know I can do the distances.  OWS always gets me nervous but this swim should be easy compared to last Olympic in choppy Gulf.  Some tough/long hills on the bike and a couple on the run including a long one right out of transition.

Plan is to go easy on the swim, relax and keep HR low-hard for me to do in OWS. Bike-I have a pacing plan based on powertap numbers.  Just worry about blowing up on some of those long hills.  Spin up and blast down   Run-start easy, get my legs and hopefully have something left at the end .

"Reach goal" would be to make top 1/3 of AG which would qualify me for USAT age group nationals in Tuscaloosa.  Probably need to go 2:35 for that (bike course is a little long for Olympic at 26.?? miles). Going to be hot so hopefully all of my training in South Alabama heat will payoff.

Good luck to everyone racing.  Really enjoy reading the race reports and hope I have a "happy" one to report.

Randy    

2010-07-10 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2962476

User image

Expert
Salem
TriGuyBri - 2010-07-05 8:56 PM Like others I have a Race Saturday.  Just got my Club Race Trisuit this afternoon.  This will be a Sprint Distance with a very hilly climb and a couple of hills on the run.  This course was my 1st Full Sprint Last Year in early Sept.  I placed second in the Clydesdale Division.  Here are my race goals for this race:

Swim:  1:38/ 100 - 14:18 - 14:26; Last years time 15:11

T1 - 2:30 - Going Sockless. Last year 3:23 - longer run last year to T1 due to the low water level.

12.4 mile Bike:  42:00 or less - Did a time trial two weeks ago on the course 42:45; Dropped two minutes from last year - 44:44

T2 - 1:30 - Going to change my dismount to a running dismount and leaving the bike shoes on the pedals; Again Going Sockless. Last year 1:53

5 K Run: 25:00 or less - going for a 8:02/mile pace;  last years time 27:27.

Total Time:   1:25:18 to a 1:25:26

This will be a 7 min 21 sec. reduction from my overall time last year.  Pretty lofty goals, but feel they are doable.

Well it was a very productive day if I don't say so myself.  I was 5th in my age group out of 17 total; 55 out of 261 participants.  The big thing is I beat my previous time on the same route (not the same race) by 9:21; two minutes faster than I was shooting for.  Time was 1:23:27.  I met all my goals above except my run.  I need to start running some hills.  I still beat my time from last year in the run by 1:27 so I am happy with it.

Race Report Link:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=216655&posts=1&start=1

I will take this week off; may run some but no biking and swimming.  I am heading to South Dakota and have some things to get done before we leave.  I will be focusing on running and will swim when I can at the pool or a pool in the area.  My next race, the same route I did today, is in early Sept. so I have some time to get back to biking when I return.
2010-07-10 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2972885

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Way to go Brian!

I'm off to bed after an awful day of travel.  I look forward to reading through the race report tomorrow.

2010-07-10 9:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Going to bed everyone. I was able to swim the swim route today. The distance was no problem. However, the shortest distance between two points IS NOT a zig-zag. I'm going to have to pay attention to sighting tomorrow. I have to focus on remembering to lift my head and look for the buoy. I don't want a .62 mile swim turning into a 1.2 mile swim.

The plan is to survive the swim, hammer the bike, and push  the run. This is a race you know. I have given myself permission to puke this time. Big goal is to keep transitions under 1:30 way below the combined 9:30 last race. LOL

Well, check in tomorrow and let everyone know how things went. Good luck to everyone racing. Just wanted to say thank you for everyones help and encouragment.

Phil
2010-07-10 10:44 PM
in reply to: #2972885

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
TriGuyBri - 2010-07-10 8:04 PM

Well it was a very productive day if I don't say so myself.  I was 5th in my age group out of 17 total; 55 out of 261 participants.  The big thing is I beat my previous time on the same route (not the same race) by 9:21; two minutes faster than I was shooting for.  Time was 1:23:27.  I met all my goals above except my run.  I need to start running some hills.  I still beat my time from last year in the run by 1:27 so I am happy with it.

Race Report Link:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=216655&posts=1&start=1

I will take this week off; may run some but no biking and swimming.  I am heading to South Dakota and have some things to get done before we leave.  I will be focusing on running and will swim when I can at the pool or a pool in the area.  My next race, the same route I did today, is in early Sept. so I have some time to get back to biking when I return.

Nice race Brian, well done meeting all your goals. You've made some great improvements.
2010-07-10 11:54 PM
in reply to: #2973015

User image

Expert
Salem
StlPhil - 2010-07-10 7:36 PM Going to bed everyone. I was able to swim the swim route today. The distance was no problem. However, the shortest distance between two points IS NOT a zig-zag. I'm going to have to pay attention to sighting tomorrow. I have to focus on remembering to lift my head and look for the buoy. I don't want a .62 mile swim turning into a 1.2 mile swim.

The plan is to survive the swim, hammer the bike, and push  the run. This is a race you know. I have given myself permission to puke this time. Big goal is to keep transitions under 1:30 way below the combined 9:30 last race. LOL

Well, check in tomorrow and let everyone know how things went. Good luck to everyone racing. Just wanted to say thank you for everyones help and encouragment.

Phil

Go get'um Phil.  Look forward to reading your race report.  You'll do great!!!
2010-07-11 1:13 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good luck Phil. Great job Brian.

Met up with Michael here in Chattanooga. Good race, well organized and alot of fun.  Preliminary results had me at 23rd of 100 in 45-49 age group. Top 1/3 qualify for USAT Age Group Nationals so I'm pleased. Time was 2:37.?? I figured I would be somewhere between 2:35 and 2:45.  Not sure of all the splits but swim was 26.?? and run was 51.?? Will do full race report when I have the numbers.  Competition level was really high.  Lots of high end gear and equipment passing me

Michael had a great race as we have come to expect.  Will let him give the details.

Randy 

2010-07-11 7:41 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Hey everyone.  Long weekend.  Lots of driving.  I'm looking forward to reading race reports tomorrow, but first...bed!

Randy had a great race. We met up at the finish and had a good chat.

Hope you are all doing well!  I'll check up on the last several posts tomorrow.  I need sleep!

2010-07-11 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2973541

User image

Expert
Salem
slornow - 2010-07-11 11:13 AM

Good luck Phil. Great job Brian.

Met up with Michael here in Chattanooga. Good race, well organized and alot of fun.  Preliminary results had me at 23rd of 100 in 45-49 age group. Top 1/3 qualify for USAT Age Group Nationals so I'm pleased. Time was 2:37.?? I figured I would be somewhere between 2:35 and 2:45.  Not sure of all the splits but swim was 26.?? and run was 51.?? Will do full race report when I have the numbers.  Competition level was really high.  Lots of high end gear and equipment passing me

Michael had a great race as we have come to expect.  Will let him give the details.

Randy 

Can' t wait to read the race reports.  Sounds like you had a great Race Randy.  Congrats!!!  When you speak of high end gear are you talking about the guys and gals who come wizzing by on the Tri Bikes with the Rear Disk going WHOOOM, WHOOM, WHOOM?  Had many of those myself yesterday.
2010-07-12 9:35 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Morning all.  Chattanooga was fun.  I had a good time chatting with Randy after the race.  I managed 8th/138 in my AG (officially 6th but two other 40-44 athletes placed 3rd overall and masters overall respectively).  I'm pretty happy with that.

I'll write up a race report once the splits are posted.

Congrats to all racers this weekend!

Edited by Experior 2010-07-12 9:36 AM
2010-07-12 2:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Looks like I'll stay out of the pool for next 2 or 3 days as I have a pretty bad ear infection. While getting prescriptions I picked up some ear plugs. Do any of you wear earplugs or use any kind of drops for swimming? My doctor prescribed me some drops for before and after swims.
2010-07-12 2:27 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

I always wear ear plugs when swimming-hate getting water in my ears. I use the soft ones that you mold into your ear.  They are 3-4 dollars for 10 or 12 at Walmart. Each pair lasts me at least a week or two.

Randy  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40