2011-06-08 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3539083

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
older2533 - 2011-06-08 11:50 AM

Ernesto (and everyone else)

Ok, pace strategy question time for my oly.  

I swim in the pool 100 yards in roughly 2 minutes.   Assuming the same for the .93 mile swim, that's 33 minutes for the swim.  I will have a full sleeve wetsuit on.  (It was 102 here yesterday, but the lake will still be wetsuit legal for certain.)

The bike is 24.37 miles.   At 18 mph, that's  81 minutes.  

If I then run the 10k at my half marathon pace (7:30), that's 46:30, but let's say 47 minutes. 

Add 4 minutes for transitions, that's 33+81+47+4 = 165 minutes, or 2:45.

I was hoping to do better than that.   

But here's my question.  At my sprint last year (my only tri), I basically didn't pace myself except on the swim.  On the bike and the run, I just went.   But at an oly distance, I have to worry about bonking.   For a run, I know what to do about this (at least at the half marathon pace): pick the right pace and stick with it mile after mile.   Not sure what the right pace is on the bike however.  I don't want to bonk, but I also don't want to leave too much gas in the tank. 

Chris

Chris,

Actually, you paced the one thing that you don’t have to. The swim will always be less effort than perceived (don’t ask me why, I don’t know). The HR for swimming is surprisingly low unless you’re going ALL OUT for fifty yards or so.

Swim pacing: Position yourself as close to the buoys as you can, start normal and pick up the pace after 100 yards, feel the water moving below you. Stroke should be long (reach out) and a strong pull, don’t swim desperately, get into a rhythm and breathe every time your left hand enters the water. THIS IS ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT.

Practice transitions in your backyard and give your kids a laugh! This is often neglected and it is a time waster. Set it up the same way it is going to be on race day. Do it MANY TIMES until it becomes second nature.

Bike pacing: Start at a high cadence and stay like that for a good three miles. Stay in the small ring during this time. Then feel free to shift as you please. Go hard, but not too much. You don’t want to be feeling out of breath.

RUN PACING: The most important thing of all is to leave half of your energy for the last third of the run when you get off the bike. Your stomach should be a quarter full when you start running but if you feel thirsty, drink.

NUTRITION: You didn’t ask but here’s the strategy: take almost all your fluids and calories during those first ten miles of the bike, even if you feel a bit sloshy (not too much, though). By the time you hit T2 everything will be digested.

Last, I have to say that I know you will go faster than what you’re saying in all three, especially on the bike. The run it depends on how you do your bike and dial your nutrition. Swim will be MUCH faster than 2m/100yds.

Is your eagerness back or still unmotivated?

2011-06-08 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3539083

User image

Expert
Guatemala
older2533 - 2011-06-08 10:50 AM

Ernesto (and everyone else)

Ok, pace strategy question time for my oly.  

I swim in the pool 100 yards in roughly 2 minutes.   Assuming the same for the .93 mile swim, that's 33 minutes for the swim.  I will have a full sleeve wetsuit on.  (It was 102 here yesterday, but the lake will still be wetsuit legal for certain.)

The bike is 24.37 miles.   At 18 mph, that's  81 minutes.  

If I then run the 10k at my half marathon pace (7:30), that's 46:30, but let's say 47 minutes. 

Add 4 minutes for transitions, that's 33+81+47+4 = 165 minutes, or 2:45.

I was hoping to do better than that.   

But here's my question.  At my sprint last year (my only tri), I basically didn't pace myself except on the swim.  On the bike and the run, I just went.   But at an oly distance, I have to worry about bonking.   For a run, I know what to do about this (at least at the half marathon pace): pick the right pace and stick with it mile after mile.   Not sure what the right pace is on the bike however.  I don't want to bonk, but I also don't want to leave too much gas in the tank. 

Chris

Chris,

With my very limited experience (first Oly ever 6 weeks ago) I say you should play it by ear and see how you feel after your swim as well as the weather conditions for that day.  If you are feeling good then push your self with with the bike segment and you know you can run strong! 

For my race I was shooting for the same 2:45+- time and ended up doing 2:52.  I came out with an ok swim time of 31 min (which is my weakest area).  However once I hit the bike I felt really tired, plus it was really hot and humid outside (96F), and I was not able to go over 17mph avg. From then it was downhill for me as I was not looking forward to the run with that heat.

For my Oly this Sunday, I'm planning on pacing a little more on the swim with the hopes of having more energy/speed for the bike and run segments.

Good luck and enjoy your race!

2011-06-08 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3539332

User image

Maple Grove, MN
evillarroel - 2011-06-08 1:45 PM 

Chris,

Actually, you paced the one thing that you don’t have to. The swim will always be less effort than perceived (don’t ask me why, I don’t know). The HR for swimming is surprisingly low unless you’re going ALL OUT for fifty yards or so.

Swim pacing: Position yourself as close to the buoys as you can, start normal and pick up the pace after 100 yards, feel the water moving below you. Stroke should be long (reach out) and a strong pull, don’t swim desperately, get into a rhythm and breathe every time your left hand enters the water. THIS IS ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT.

Good to know about the pacing.  

Regarding breathing, I know you want me to do this to keep me from going anaerobic, but this will be hard.  It is just grilled into my brain to alternative sides to breathe (so it's a breath every three strokes instead of a breath every two.)   You've advised on this thread to do the left hand thing before, and I've tried and I just hate, hate, hate it.  I have a large lung capacity (for instance, I have always been able to swim underwater or stay underwater far longer than anyone I knew).  I just don't feel as I'm swimming that I need to breathe that often.  In fact, I have to force myself to breathe every three strokes as opposed to four.  But I will practice an open water swim today (along with some transitions) and try again with breathing every two strokes. 

Practice transitions in your backyard and give your kids a laugh! This is often neglected and it is a time waster. Set it up the same way it is going to be on race day. Do it MANY TIMES until it becomes second nature.

Will do.

Bike pacing: Start at a high cadence and stay like that for a good three miles. Stay in the small ring during this time. Then feel free to shift as you please. Go hard, but not too much. You don’t want to be feeling out of breath.

I'm basically always on the small ring in front.  The combination of the smallest in front and back is still high enough for me.  But I will basically try to keep the cadence at 90 and push it (again but not too hard).  My mantra is, "this is a race", and I might have to add "but not a sprint".  

RUN PACING: The most important thing of all is to leave half of your energy for the last third of the run when you get off the bike. Your stomach should be a quarter full when you start running but if you feel thirsty, drink.

NUTRITION: You didn’t ask but here’s the strategy: take almost all your fluids and calories during those first ten miles of the bike, even if you feel a bit sloshy (not too much, though). By the time you hit T2 everything will be digested.

I meant to ask about nutrition, was going to do another post, but then I figured (correctly) you would bring it up anyway.  (I'm getting to know you!)  

This is good information.  I was planning on having a few dried cherries and a swig of Gatorade in T1 and two bottles of Gatorade on my bike.  I will try to get through most of them before mile 10. After those are gone, I will switch to water on the run.  

Last, I have to say that I know you will go faster than what you’re saying in all three, especially on the bike. The run it depends on how you do your bike and dial your nutrition. Swim will be MUCH faster than 2m/100yds.

Is your eagerness back or still unmotivated?

It's starting to come back.  The mathematician in me would say the level is still low, but the derivative is in the right direction.  

2011-06-08 4:14 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Master
Dallas

Chris,

Same as I told you before (on breaking the 1:40 half), on Saturday I GUARANTEE you'll be faster than 2:45 if you don't have flats or other issues. Cross your fingers on that one (the flats). Smile

2011-06-08 7:43 PM

User image

Regular

What is the correlation between climate and HR if all else equal?

It was 105 degrees outside (kind of a high for non-TXns) :-p So I chickened out on the ride and went spinning in the gym. It was a bit hot and humid in there as well. But I noticed that HR was higher than MAHR a lot of times when perceived effort did not seem extraordinarily high. 

I think Maffetone's website talks about pacing oneself on runs if temperature is higher than xx degrees. 

Edited by ironbaby 2011-06-08 7:44 PM
2011-06-08 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3539863

User image

Master
Dallas
ironbaby - 2011-06-08 7:43 PM

What is the correlation between climate and HR if all else equal?

It was 105 degrees outside (kind of a high for non-TXns) :-p So I chickened out on the ride and went spinning in the gym. It was a bit hot and humid in there as well. But I noticed that HR was higher than MAHR a lot of times when perceived effort did not seem extraordinarily high. 

I think Maffetone's website talks about pacing oneself on runs if temperature is higher than xx degrees. 

It is SIGNIFICANT. On average, the difference between running in 75 degrees and running in 100 is 10BPM. That is ten beats OFF your pace. That does not count for dehydration, general feeling of heaviness, etc that the heat brings.

One thing though, the fitter you are, the less temperature matters. Same happens with dehydration.

2011-06-09 7:09 AM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
So far the weather for my olympic on Saturday is shaping up as good.   While about 40 hours ago it was 103 in the afternoon (hottest in 5 years), right now at 7 in the morning it is 51 degrees.  (That's Minnesota for you.  It was -23 one morning this winter.)  Saturday is looking similar.  Predictions are about 48 degrees while I'm setting up, 51 degrees when my wave sets out (last, at 8:09 AM), and no higher than 54 by 11 AM, and partly sunny, with winds under 10 mph.  Could change of course, but predictions here are usually pretty good two days out.  
2011-06-09 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3540283

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-06-09 7:09 AM So far the weather for my olympic on Saturday is shaping up as good.   While about 40 hours ago it was 103 in the afternoon (hottest in 5 years), right now at 7 in the morning it is 51 degrees.  (That's Minnesota for you.  It was -23 one morning this winter.)  Saturday is looking similar.  Predictions are about 48 degrees while I'm setting up, 51 degrees when my wave sets out (last, at 8:09 AM), and no higher than 54 by 11 AM, and partly sunny, with winds under 10 mph.  Could change of course, but predictions here are usually pretty good two days out.  
Great! that will make you even faster.Smile And you won't have to fight the mosquitoes, which I've heard are the State bird in Minnesotta.

Edited by evillarroel 2011-06-09 7:43 AM
2011-06-09 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: Crappy Run Group

Well, I've joined the Crappy Last Run Before the Race Group.  In the theatre they say a bad dress rehearsal makes for an awesome performance.

I went to school to turn in my keys and run on the track.  They were working on the track.  So I came back home (25 miles) and ran up and walked down a big hill two times.  By the third one halfway up, I was toast.  So I stopped.

I'll just practice my transitions and pack my stuff.  Glad I got that bad one out of the way.

2011-06-09 1:27 PM
in reply to: #3540954

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Crappy Run Group
jdiis - 2011-06-09 11:45 AM

Well, I've joined the Crappy Last Run Before the Race Group.  In the theatre they say a bad dress rehearsal makes for an awesome performance.

I went to school to turn in my keys and run on the track.  They were working on the track.  So I came back home (25 miles) and ran up and walked down a big hill two times.  By the third one halfway up, I was toast.  So I stopped.

I'll just practice my transitions and pack my stuff.  Glad I got that bad one out of the way.

You are scaring me now, today I had my last workout before Metroplex and it was great! Surprised
2011-06-09 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3541184

User image

Expert
evillarroel - 2011-06-09 1:27 PM

You are scaring me now, today I had my last workout before Metroplex and it was great! Surprised

But you're almost a pro.  Doesn't apply to you.  Wink

2011-06-09 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3541193

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-06-09 1:31 PM
evillarroel - 2011-06-09 1:27 PM

But you're almost a pro.  Doesn't apply to you.  Wink

Far from that, I'm just a middle of the packer. Some days, lucky to be closer to the front...
2011-06-09 1:47 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey Mike, good to see you!  Seems we are still at it   I too wonder whatever happend to Troy.  Hopefully just a bit of life happening.

Good luck this weekend to Jackie, Ernesto, and anyone else who is racing...or training....or resting.

Doing the Wounded Warrior 10K on Sunday and hoping for a PR.  Ernesto, any advice on pacing (ease in a bit, or try to do it all even)?  I would really, really like to come in under an hour.  But heat acclimation is a work in progress, vacation last week had me loafing some, and I think my longest run this month was 7ish miles.  Best 10K efforts from a few years ago were FRACTIONS of a second from being under one hour, thus my quest.

2011-06-09 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3541239

User image

Master
Dallas
squirt - 2011-06-09 1:47 PM

Hey Mike, good to see you!  Seems we are still at it   I too wonder whatever happend to Troy.  Hopefully just a bit of life happening.

Good luck this weekend to Jackie, Ernesto, and anyone else who is racing...or training....or resting.

Doing the Wounded Warrior 10K on Sunday and hoping for a PR.  Ernesto, any advice on pacing (ease in a bit, or try to do it all even)?  I would really, really like to come in under an hour.  But heat acclimation is a work in progress, vacation last week had me loafing some, and I think my longest run this month was 7ish miles.  Best 10K efforts from a few years ago were FRACTIONS of a second from being under one hour, thus my quest.

Ten Ks should be paced for the first two miles, then unleash it! Build slowly during those first two though...
2011-06-09 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Thank you Ernesto!  BTW, listened to a couple of endurance nation podcasts on the plane.  Way beyond my level, but still feel like I learned some things.  Know they are big on really pacing early on, at least in the longer distances, so good to know it applies in the shorter as well.  Hopefully I'll have something to unleash .  Interesting also how they talk about building speed in the winter, and endurance in the spring/summer.  I realize that assumes a solid base that's already built, but a totally different concept than I would have thought. Thanks for pointing them out.
2011-06-10 9:20 AM

User image

Regular

Thunderstorm, heatwave, heatwave, thunderstorm, thunderstorm .... this week has been terrible for training.

General question/rant/comment - I am too paranoid about riding in post-work hours due to lack of shared roads. Most traffic around here is hulking trucks/SUV's in rush hour. How do you guys your rides done during the week without the comfort of group rides ("strength in numbers" does stop the traffic here)?

2011-06-10 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Good Luck Everyone

Gear is packed.  Almost ready to go.

This group has a lot going on this weekend.  Good luck to everyone that's racing.  Can't wait to hear about all the FUN we had!

2011-06-10 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3542422

User image

Master
Dallas
ironbaby - 2011-06-10 9:20 AM

Thunderstorm, heatwave, heatwave, thunderstorm, thunderstorm .... this week has been terrible for training.

General question/rant/comment - I am too paranoid about riding in post-work hours due to lack of shared roads. Most traffic around here is hulking trucks/SUV's in rush hour. How do you guys your rides done during the week without the comfort of group rides ("strength in numbers" does stop the traffic here)?

Aki, there might be some paved, non-open to traffic trails. Most cities do, check the web to see or talk to roadies. Sometimes they find quiet neighborhoods where they ride.
2011-06-10 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3542460

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Good Luck Everyone
jdiis - 2011-06-10 9:37 AM

Gear is packed.  Almost ready to go.

This group has a lot going on this weekend.  Good luck to everyone that's racing.  Can't wait to hear about all the FUN we had!

Did you already get your racing packet from Jack?
2011-06-10 10:47 AM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Subject: Garmin 305 during race

Ok.  Yesterday I did a little OWS at the site of the race and practiced my transitions.    My sighting was awful, but I was able to do the breathe every other stroke thing.  I think I will need to sight every other breath.  (Hard to make oneself do because my swim teacher was always emphasizing keeping the head down.)

My transitions were ok.  I will waste a few seconds putting on socks for the ride and took a little longer than I would have liked to get the VFF's on wet feet, but it was acceptable.  Most of all, I'm happy I was able to get the wetsuit off fairly quickly.

But I couldn't practice quite right with my Garmin since, to my dismay, it was dead.   (It is fully charged now).   So that leaves my question: How EXACTLY do you use a Garmin 305 for a race?  

Here was my plan:  Strap 305 to bike before race starts.  Turn on, have it get signal.  Have it set to "bike" with the screen on the page where it shows cadence.  Hit start when I leave T1.  But will the Garmin stay on during the swim if I don't hit start?  Will it lose the satellites if it turns off?

Next, I was planning on hitting "stop" at the end of the ride.  Take the Garmin off the bike during T2 and strap on wrist.   Then hold the mode button down for a few seconds until it gives me the menu to switch to run.  Up arrow to run, then enter.  Then start when I exit T2.    Seems like a pain.  

So what is the correct way to do this?

2011-06-10 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3542605

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Garmin 305 during race
older2533 - 2011-06-10 10:47 AM

Ok.  Yesterday I did a little OWS at the site of the race and practiced my transitions.    My sighting was awful, but I was able to do the breathe every other stroke thing.  I think I will need to sight every other breath.  (Hard to make oneself do because my swim teacher was always emphasizing keeping the head down.)

My transitions were ok.  I will waste a few seconds putting on socks for the ride and took a little longer than I would have liked to get the VFF's on wet feet, but it was acceptable.  Most of all, I'm happy I was able to get the wetsuit off fairly quickly.

But I couldn't practice quite right with my Garmin since, to my dismay, it was dead.   (It is fully charged now).   So that leaves my question: How EXACTLY do you use a Garmin 305 for a race?  

Here was my plan:  Strap 305 to bike before race starts.  Turn on, have it get signal.  Have it set to "bike" with the screen on the page where it shows cadence.  Hit start when I leave T1.  But will the Garmin stay on during the swim if I don't hit start?  Will it lose the satellites if it turns off?

Next, I was planning on hitting "stop" at the end of the ride.  Take the Garmin off the bike during T2 and strap on wrist.   Then hold the mode button down for a few seconds until it gives me the menu to switch to run.  Up arrow to run, then enter.  Then start when I exit T2.    Seems like a pain.  

So what is the correct way to do this?

If you really, really want to wear it and get metrics then put it in multisport mode, do not include transitions. For that you go to "Training" and then "auto multisport". It will have by default three sports: Other, Bike and Run.

The right way to do it is:

Swim: put it on your wrist or for better accuracy put it under your swim cap (no ziplock bag required). When the gun goes off you press start. If you have it under the cap make sure it is facing upwards and locate the button before the swim starts, when you're waiting in the water.

Bike: put it on your wrist, not the bike and hit the "lap" button to switch to bike mode the moment you mount your bike.

Run: Hit the "lap" button one more time the moment you cross the mat leaving t2.

Another option is to go without the Garmin and just a chronometer with overall time, just hit the lap button in every discipline.

I hope this helped...

2011-06-10 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3542707

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Subject: RE: Garmin 305 during race

evillarroel - 2011-06-10 11:31 AM

If you really, really want to wear it and get metrics then put it in multisport mode, do not include transitions. For that you go to "Training" and then "auto multisport". It will have by default three sports: Other, Bike and Run.

The right way to do it is:

Swim: put it on your wrist or for better accuracy put it under your swim cap (no ziplock bag required). When the gun goes off you press start. If you have it under the cap make sure it is facing upwards and locate the button before the swim starts, when you're waiting in the water.

Bike: put it on your wrist, not the bike and hit the "lap" button to switch to bike mode the moment you mount your bike.

Run: Hit the "lap" button one more time the moment you cross the mat leaving t2.

Another option is to go without the Garmin and just a chronometer with overall time, just hit the lap button in every discipline.

I hope this helped...

I want the real time feedback for the bike and the run.  For the bike, I want to know my cadence, and for the run, I want to know my lap pace (with a 1 mile autolap).    This is not about recording for posterity, but about helping me compete.  

So I have no interest in wearing the thing during the swim, either in my cap or on my wrist.  Does doing multisport mode allow me to do what I want?

2011-06-10 12:05 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN

Ok.  Been playing with the auto multisport.  I get it now.  Thanks Ernesto.  Not sure what I will do with it during the swim.  I don't really like any of the options.  Afraid if I wear it on the wrist I will screw up getting off the wetsuit, and afraid I will lose it if I wear it in the cap.  I will take the transitions hit to strap it to the bike during T1 and unstrap it during T2.  I want to be able to see my heart rate and cadence while biking and I just can't do this if it is on my wrist.  

What if I strapped it the bike before I went to the beach and hit start?  Of course all the time waiting for my wave to start will be added to my swim, but I don't really care about the data for the swim anyway, and I think this will keep it from turning off.  Then, during T1 I can hit the lap button when I get to the bike (to start T1 on the Garmin), hit it again as I exit T1, hit lap again as I enter T2, take Garmin off bike and put on wrist during T2, hit lap as I exit T2, and then stop when I finish the race.  Does this sound like it will work?  (I've hit "include transitions" as an option during "auto multisport"). 

2011-06-10 12:52 PM

User image

Master
2011-06-10 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3542769

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-06-10 12:05 PM

Ok.  Been playing with the auto multisport.  I get it now.  Thanks Ernesto.  Not sure what I will do with it during the swim.  I don't really like any of the options.  Afraid if I wear it on the wrist I will screw up getting off the wetsuit, and afraid I will lose it if I wear it in the cap.  I will take the transitions hit to strap it to the bike during T1 and unstrap it during T2.  I want to be able to see my heart rate and cadence while biking and I just can't do this if it is on my wrist.  

What if I strapped it the bike before I went to the beach and hit start?  Of course all the time waiting for my wave to start will be added to my swim, but I don't really care about the data for the swim anyway, and I think this will keep it from turning off.  Then, during T1 I can hit the lap button when I get to the bike (to start T1 on the Garmin), hit it again as I exit T1, hit lap again as I enter T2, take Garmin off bike and put on wrist during T2, hit lap as I exit T2, and then stop when I finish the race.  Does this sound like it will work?  (I've hit "include transitions" as an option during "auto multisport"). 

That could work too. You can actually eliminate one of the sports as well if you wish.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84