BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 69

2012-01-08 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3977889

User image

England
Subject: RE: Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED

Which is why I've been trying to work on my run, my only two races was FOP to MOP out of water and almost deadlast in the run...  I just watched em run right by me.  I have the swim and bike down the run is killing me though.

Sorry, i am having a blonde day, whats FOP and MOP???

2012-01-08 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3977916

User image

Melon Presser
ukweeble - 2012-01-09 12:51 AM

Which is why I've been trying to work on my run, my only two races was FOP to MOP out of water and almost deadlast in the run...  I just watched em run right by me.  I have the swim and bike down the run is killing me though.

Sorry, i am having a blonde day, whats FOP and MOP???

Front Of Pack (meaning very roughly somewhere at least in the top third) and Middle of Pack (meaning very roughly somewhere in the middle third).

2012-01-08 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3942879

User image

Coastal Carolina
Most likely will use GU, I've had good luck with them before, thanks for the advice that sounds like a good plan.
2012-01-08 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3977163

User image

Pug Palace
TriAya - 2012-01-08 3:47 PM
ukweeble - 2012-01-08 7:39 AM
TriAya - 2012-01-07 10:34 PM
wagonnatri - 2012-01-08 5:55 AM

I had a great week.  Kept to my training plan.  I am trying not to over train.  Train don't strain is my current mantra.  Master swimming on Monday & Wednesdays is going well.  Although this learning to breath on both sides is freakin' KILLING me.  When I try to breath on the left, I get a mouth full of water and my stroke goes all to HELL. Yell  The SAME stroke I have been working so hard to improve.  BTW, I am convinced that the swim lane three lanes to the left of my newbie lane is filled with mer-people, they glide through the water, and never tire. Yep, a whole lane of mer-people. Aliens and zombies can't swim that fast.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and replies to my Garmin gadget & tri wear.  I will be surfing the internet later tonight for a few deals on both.

Well done on your week! TRAIN DON'T STRAIN now that is goooold right there. Truth!!!

It's really hard to believe you're improving your stroke when you have to do something that makes it feel like it's going to hell ... but you are. You are truly increasing your swim awesomeness with every breath on the left.

Second that about not straining.

I hate swimming but keep at it knowing that every time i end up coughing, it will eventually make me stronger. Lets hope the mer-people dont take up triathlon cos there are also a load of them at my pool. Can't see the gills though? Maybe i'm looking in the wrong place!!

Thankfully for triathletes, mer-people have the least advantage in triathlon because the swim is relatively so short.

Not gills--blowholes. They're located in our armpits. That's why we rotate on a body-length axis--it's to get additional air from the blowholes.

Cracking up.  I will be watching the mer people very carefully tomorrow night at the pool. Gotta check out those awesome armpit blowholes.  One of the head mer people I swim with was in a local sprint TRI I attended. Merman was out of the water in 10 minutes.  Merman then got back in the water and was a swim angel for the next 1.5 hours. He was part of a 3 person team, his team won.

2012-01-08 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3977074

User image

Pug Palace
TriAya - 2012-01-08 2:34 PM
wagonnatri - 2012-01-08 5:55 AM

I had a great week.  Kept to my training plan.  I am trying not to over train.  Train don't strain is my current mantra.  Master swimming on Monday & Wednesdays is going well.  Although this learning to breath on both sides is freakin' KILLING me.  When I try to breath on the left, I get a mouth full of water and my stroke goes all to HELL. Yell  The SAME stroke I have been working so hard to improve.  BTW, I am convinced that the swim lane three lanes to the left of my newbie lane is filled with mer-people, they glide through the water, and never tire. Yep, a whole lane of mer-people. Aliens and zombies can't swim that fast.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and replies to my Garmin gadget & tri wear.  I will be surfing the internet later tonight for a few deals on both.

Well done on your week! TRAIN DON'T STRAIN now that is goooold right there. Truth!!!

It's really hard to believe you're improving your stroke when you have to do something that makes it feel like it's going to hell ... but you are. You are truly increasing your swim awesomeness with every breath on the left.

Thanks Yanti.  Trying hard to learn to breath on both sides, damn it is hard.  Hoping it will get easier as the months pass.  Any suggestions on how to improve my swim awesomeness would be greatly appreciated. 

Off to do overrated household chores, grocery shopping, and homework.  Blah.

2012-01-08 12:39 PM

User image

Seattle
Personally I think someone should hold a doggie paddle sprint tri. I would thrive. Another irrelevant swim-related skill I have is the ability to jump from the high dive and not have my head go under water.

2012-01-08 2:03 PM

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA

My swimming is FINALLY seeing some improvement and i think it's because 1) 3 days a week in the pool... 2) Drills!  3) swimming with people.

The group had a swim test on Thursday - 400 Time Trial and 200 TT.  I led my lane ....and swam the FASTEST 400 i have ever done! No buoy, no wetsuit - just me....being chased!  My 200 was about 8 seconds slower than last test. 

today we did 300, 2X150 and 3X100s - i was consistent at about 2:02 per 100 on all the 100s.  Not being chased today!

It is very fun to see my swimming improve from a consistent 2:10/100 down to 2:02...and keep dropping. 

While I hate the tests - I am LOVING the fact that I now have comparisons.  it's only how good you are on that day...but it gives me something to shoot for!

I was NEVER as swimmer growing up.  Pretty much learned to swim when I started Tri's in 2006!!

2012-01-08 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3978040

User image

England

Asalzwed - 2012-01-08 6:39 PM Personally I think someone should hold a doggie paddle sprint tri. I would thrive. Another irrelevant swim-related skill I have is the ability to jump from the high dive and not have my head go under water.

book me in for that sprint. Any chance the bike section could be motorised and the run switched for a competative stroll??

Nice high board skills. Seems a shame to mess up your hair!!!

2012-01-08 4:15 PM

User image

Expert

Good weekend for training.  Over 5 hours on the bike.  Weight loss continues and I am losing pounds fast.  I bought a scale and decided I would weigh myself every morning just before I shower.  A few years ago when I tried to lose weight I lost so much that people told me I looked sick.  I started wearing my kids belts.  Will not do the same this time.  I could however stand to lose about 20 pounds though.  Being single, living alone, it's a challenge to cook.  Not to mention that according to my boys the only thing I can cook is spaghetti. My dinner plans used to be "get in the car and drive till I find what chain restaurant looks good that night".   

I only have 2 shifts at the hospital this week and look forward to a great week of training.  My goals for the week are to get 4 swims done.  One will be an endurance swim of 3000 + yards. 

2012-01-08 5:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Does anyone have any experience with adventure races or off road running? From what I've read the advice is to get trail shoes that have more grip than normal running shoes. However, I have shoes with more stability as I've been told I over pronate. Most trail shoes I can find are neutral, I'm having some issues with my heels so don't want to go without the support but need the extra grip? Any advice?
2012-01-08 5:55 PM
in reply to: #3977927

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Tripopo - 2012-01-08 9:02 AM Most likely will use GU, I've had good luck with them before, thanks for the advice that sounds like a good plan.

Wanted to share my "gel" story. I do think it's a personal preference. The GU brand has never worked for me, but I've used the powerbar gels off and on for various events. When you run 10-13 miles how many GU's have you used? Have you had a good result? I would use that and the calorie comparison to decide what to do in your HM.

My story was about 2 years ago I was running a 1/2 marathon and took 3 gels with me. I usually have one at the most for a 1/2 marathon and really hadn't used them much during training, but knew I could tolerate one. For some reason I took 3 with me for the race. I guess in case I lost one or something. Anyway, I had one around mile 4, another at 7-8 and then a third one, for some crazy reason around 11ish. I'm not sure it did anything or much for me during the race, but I had severe GI distress for a couple of days after the race. So much so that I thought I might have had a stomach flu bug. I realized later, I had way too many (not sure what got into me, literally!) and probably didn't take enough water with each one. So that combo wasn't good for me. YMMV.

2012-01-08 5:59 PM
in reply to: #3978473

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Kate_r - 2012-01-08 3:50 PM Does anyone have any experience with adventure races or off road running? From what I've read the advice is to get trail shoes that have more grip than normal running shoes. However, I have shoes with more stability as I've been told I over pronate. Most trail shoes I can find are neutral, I'm having some issues with my heels so don't want to go without the support but need the extra grip? Any advice?

I've done a couple three trail half marathons. For one I used my regular road running shoes. Of course they got filthy, but they didn't provide the stability I needed for rocks, rivets and other trail hazards. I have a pair of trail running shoes I got really cheaply at the roadrunner outlet and they've worked really well. I like my trail shoes and they have a rougher sole and handle the terrain a lot better than road shoes. Hope that helps. I usually have a mild support shoe, btw.

2012-01-08 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3978344

User image

Master
Vista, CA
jimmyb - 2012-01-08 2:15 PM

Good weekend for training.  Over 5 hours on the bike.  Weight loss continues and I am losing pounds fast.  I bought a scale and decided I would weigh myself every morning just before I shower.  A few years ago when I tried to lose weight I lost so much that people told me I looked sick.  I started wearing my kids belts.  Will not do the same this time.  I could however stand to lose about 20 pounds though.  Being single, living alone, it's a challenge to cook.  Not to mention that according to my boys the only thing I can cook is spaghetti. My dinner plans used to be "get in the car and drive till I find what chain restaurant looks good that night".   

I only have 2 shifts at the hospital this week and look forward to a great week of training.  My goals for the week are to get 4 swims done.  One will be an endurance swim of 3000 + yards. 

Nice job Jim! Looks like this week will be banner as well.

2012-01-08 6:01 PM
in reply to: #3978151

User image

Master
Vista, CA
stampinann - 2012-01-08 12:03 PM

My swimming is FINALLY seeing some improvement and i think it's because 1) 3 days a week in the pool... 2) Drills!  3) swimming with people.

The group had a swim test on Thursday - 400 Time Trial and 200 TT.  I led my lane ....and swam the FASTEST 400 i have ever done! No buoy, no wetsuit - just me....being chased!  My 200 was about 8 seconds slower than last test. 

today we did 300, 2X150 and 3X100s - i was consistent at about 2:02 per 100 on all the 100s.  Not being chased today!

It is very fun to see my swimming improve from a consistent 2:10/100 down to 2:02...and keep dropping. 

While I hate the tests - I am LOVING the fact that I now have comparisons.  it's only how good you are on that day...but it gives me something to shoot for!

I was NEVER as swimmer growing up.  Pretty much learned to swim when I started Tri's in 2006!!

I hear you on making progress on the swim. I'm  in the same position as you, learning to "really swim" for tris. CONGRATS, Ann!! WOO_HOO x2!

2012-01-08 6:03 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
And, Allen, as far as some chamois butter -- lubricant -- do you have Aquaphor at Boots? It's in the lotion/hand cream section sometimes. It's like vasoline but thicker. I like it for chafing with bra straps -- you don't have that problem do you?
2012-01-08 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3978491

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA
lmscozz - 2012-01-08 4:00 PM
jimmyb - 2012-01-08 2:15 PM

Nice job Jim! Looks like this week will be banner as well.

I agree- nice week! Congrats on the weight loss! Thank goodness for my husband otherwise my dinners would be like you- get in the car

2012-01-08 7:56 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

As far as trail running, I just run in my regular training shoes.  I love to trail run.  My 1st trail marathon was last August.  I see all sorts of shoes on trail runs from regular running shoes, trail shoes, to vibrams.  Try a few things and stay focused on the ground.  Tripping is more of a danger to me than anything.  I don't think shoes can tell you where roots are and they always seem to get me. 

As far as GU, we don't get along.  I ended up spending 17 min in portapotty lines at MCM in Oct.  If it works for you,great.  Definitely use it on training before you are in a race to see how your body reacts and when you need to take it. 

A woman has the right to change her mind, right?  

Big Sur is BACK ON!!!   The Marathon Maniacs have convinced me that I NEED to do this race.  I am in 100%.  No turning back.  No changing my mind (at least not today).  I do need accountability of this group.  If you don't mind, I am going to post when I finish the WOD here (and in my blog) as a count down.  Tomorrow will be T-110d.   (T=Time to Big Sur)  I have a friend who posts every day on FB her P90x progress.  It is inspiring and we check on her to make sure she does it when it starts to get late.  I need accountability. 

2012-01-08 8:24 PM
in reply to: #3978494

User image

Expert
Way to go Ann!  I love to see improvements!
2012-01-08 11:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Today's plan was for me to do a four mile 'relaxed' run in 45 minutes---yeah. Um, I'm still getting pretty winded at an 12 minute pace....well, I tried to do the full 4 miles in 45 minutes--I ended up at 3.6 miles (I will admit, I was also told to walk the first 5 minutes as warm up, and the last 5 for cool down) Had I ran more of those minutes, I might have made it; though I was pretty winded...

In any case, I am happy with the run tonight! I plan on getting the bike & I photos taken on Tuesday, and will send them that night! Smile

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Okay--BT sorta had a melt down and QUADRUPLE posted my post....so, as I don't know how to delete them, I will edit them....sorry about that.

Edited by kgore 2012-01-08 11:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

...and a third time....

Edited by kgore 2012-01-08 11:32 PM

2012-01-08 11:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

yup--it posted again.

Edited by kgore 2012-01-08 11:31 PM
2012-01-09 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3978481

User image

Coastal Carolina
lmscozz - 2012-01-08 6:55 PM

Tripopo - 2012-01-08 9:02 AM Most likely will use GU, I've had good luck with them before, thanks for the advice that sounds like a good plan.

Wanted to share my "gel" story. I do think it's a personal preference. The GU brand has never worked for me, but I've used the powerbar gels off and on for various events. When you run 10-13 miles how many GU's have you used? Have you had a good result? I would use that and the calorie comparison to decide what to do in your HM.

My story was about 2 years ago I was running a 1/2 marathon and took 3 gels with me. I usually have one at the most for a 1/2 marathon and really hadn't used them much during training, but knew I could tolerate one. For some reason I took 3 with me for the race. I guess in case I lost one or something. Anyway, I had one around mile 4, another at 7-8 and then a third one, for some crazy reason around 11ish. I'm not sure it did anything or much for me during the race, but I had severe GI distress for a couple of days after the race. So much so that I thought I might have had a stomach flu bug. I realized later, I had way too many (not sure what got into me, literally!) and probably didn't take enough water with each one. So that combo wasn't good for me. YMMV.

I've used them in past races, I'm estimating around 2-3 just based on the amount of perpetuum I've been taking for a 13+ mile run.  My OLY last year I took 2 and was fine.

2012-01-09 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3978237

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
ukweeble - 2012-01-08 2:12 PM

Asalzwed - 2012-01-08 6:39 PM Personally I think someone should hold a doggie paddle sprint tri. I would thrive. Another irrelevant swim-related skill I have is the ability to jump from the high dive and not have my head go under water.

book me in for that sprint. Any chance the bike section could be motorised and the run switched for a competative stroll??

Nice high board skills. Seems a shame to mess up your hair!!!

You are killing me Allen...I have such a picture of you in my head in your girlie pants with cherry lube...now strolling and dog paddling. Keep up the great humor along with the no ciggies. LaughingMy stomach hurts from the laughing this morning!!

Adrienne-Great Job! Enjoy the after partying as long as you can. I would have loved to have been there this weekend to see it. Awesome!!!

swimming....both sides breathing-tell me Yanti-is it really necessary? I breathe realllllllly good on one side.  And Yes!!! We have MERPEOPLE here in Colorado too-thanks for the explanation! I didn't know what they were. Now I TOTALLY GET IT!!

BIRTHDAY-It was the BEST!! So much fun-all of us in a HUGE 22 person Escapade limo to the comedy club followed by bar hopping and back in the limo to my buddy Shari's to play Wii- just dance 3 until the wii hours. BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!!!! Shari had these ridiculous buttons made up with my face -goofy grin that said "I'M 50" and everyone wore them the whole night...so ridiculous and silly. I tried some lovely new bevvies something called a white gummy bear, and something else called chocolate cake. Needless to say, missed my Sunday workout all together....so we'll just pretend it's Monday tonight.

I am loving all your training logs and am amazed at everyone's progress and dedication. GREAT JOB MANATEES!!! And Lynn....you're training is amaaaaaaazing-you go GIRL!

HAPPY MONDAY EVERYONE Cool

2012-01-09 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3978040

User image

Melon Presser

Asalzwed - 2012-01-09 2:39 AM Personally I think someone should hold a doggie paddle sprint tri. I would thrive. Another irrelevant swim-related skill I have is the ability to jump from the high dive and not have my head go under water.

I am all for this.

I have long since done a drill (I think of it more as a genuine stroke) called Competition Doggypaddle. I have even logged it. When I took an OWS clinic and private coaching with Sheila Taormina (who is only the world's greatest athlete), I shared it with her.

This is from an e-mail from her a little while back:

"The competition doggy paddle drill is a GREAT one!  In fact, your email reminds me that it is so good that it should be incorporated into the clinics."

Laughing

I'm so proud.

Now I suppose I should explain what it is and why it's good for how, but it really ought to have video. In fact, since I think so poorly of many popular drills, I really should do a video article about drills I like and think are actually useful ... drat, I think that's six, or is it seven articles I have going on right now ... sheesh.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 69