BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-01-27 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3943322

User image

New user
Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED

Hey guys, so I've got an update on the power meter situation (btw, Tim, thanks for the link to Vector) Since that is not available until March, I'm gonna use this in the meantime http://www.trainerroad.com/

I've already got the trainer and ANT+ stick for my Garmin, all I had to do was order the speed sensor and the software itself. Total was only $50 upfront (vs $$$$ for a Powertap or Quarq.) Not too shabby IMO. 

For $10 a month, I'd say it's a great alternative if you don't have a power meter already...and even if you do, it makes your workouts more fun b/c you can watch movies, shows, other training DVDs and have your stats right there!  They even have built in workouts and an option for a free/open workout. 

Tim - maybe you can add a link to this on the next update to the website. 

2012-01-27 1:40 PM

User image

Jackson, MS

Got back into the pool for the first time(s) this week.  Have gone twice.  Not great, but not terrible.  averaging 1:40-1:45 per 100 yds.  Need some new goggles.

I think I need to get someone to record my swim stroke.  Looking at how much Tim seems to have gotten from it, I think I could probably learn a lot about what I'm doing wrong. 

Any idea of how to make that happen?  Are there people that do this?  I'm not so sure about Jackson MS...

2012-01-27 2:25 PM

User image

SE North Carolina
work kind of messed up my workout schedule this week, I am suppose to do a 6 mile run in the morning tommorow, hopefully it will go ok and next week i can get back on track.... Im thinking about getting a watch style GPS, my friend has the garmin 310, any other recommendations out there for one...
2012-01-27 2:29 PM

User image

Veteran

OK, been gone a while , but have still been getting in my workouts.

I went to a friend's house to talk to him about a running program for his upcoming 1/2 marathon.  He showed me his Garmin and told me about not being able to stay in zone 1 for his easy runs.  NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY YOU ARE ALL HAVING A PROBLEM!!  The standard setting by the garmin watch is so low.  I always learned from HR books and articles that the zones are 65-75%, 75-80, 80-85, 85-90, 90+.  His Garmin had him trying to run at 50% of his max HR which is around 100 bpm.

Once we did some math and re-set his watch he was more able to run at a comfy pace and keep the HR in a reasonable zone.

Might be an answer for those having HR zone troubles.

2012-01-27 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4014777

User image

Regular
Utrecht

MANDOWN - 2012-01-27 9:25 PM work kind of messed up my workout schedule this week, I am suppose to do a 6 mile run in the morning tommorow, hopefully it will go ok and next week i can get back on track.... Im thinking about getting a watch style GPS, my friend has the garmin 310, any other recommendations out there for one...

I love my Garmin 310. Though not sure if I would buy it again. Being more serious to the sport now I could see myself buying a Timex. Main reason is that you can fit a Timex for al 3 sports. The Garmin isn't waterproof and not the best option for biking either.

2012-01-27 11:11 PM
in reply to: #4015171

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Long day today- managed to get my swim and run in, but now ready to crash.  I have a very busy weekend ahead of me.  There is a multisport expo in Milwaukee this weekend, so my weekend kicks off with a 3 hour ride (indoor with trainers) followed by volunteering at the booth for one of my triathlon teams, wandering the expo and trying to resist the urge to buy a tri bike (my husband would KILL me, but there's a Cervelo deal where I can get one for $1000 off), running for 30 min easy, and a transition race.  Pretty excited for that one...

Sunday, I am running in a 10k and then a 10k team time trial on the computrainer.  So happy that Monday is my off day.

Weird fact Friday...I guess I'll have to go with my sister-in-law, who is only 18 months younger than me, has the same name as me...same middle initial, L, but I am a Lynn, and she is a Lee.  We confuse people all the time, especially last weekend at the marathon relay.

Good night team!!

2012-01-28 1:55 AM

User image

Regular

Just squeaking in on the tail end of Friday.  It's been a hectic week as my daughter has been sick and stayed home from school most of the week.  Kinda tough to get workouts in and whatnot.  I did get in a good workout this afternoon, though.  75 minutes of run/walk and 15 minutes of rowing at the gym.  I decided to see how fast I could run a mile (since I'm a total noob of a runner), and I managed 10:48.  For ME, that's fast considering that I could never do faster than 14 minutes 6 months ago. 

Got my Timex Ironman heartrate monitor watch in the mail today.  Ordered from Amazon for about $68.  I put the chest strap on and set up the basics on the watch.  Well, the watch got a signal from the chest strap for about 5 minutes, and then couldn't get a signal anymore.  It did pop back for 30 seconds one more time, but that was it.  Very disappointing.  It had gotten pretty good reviews for the most part on Amazon, but there were a few people that said they had the same problem I'm having.  So I might have to return it and try again.

Tomorrow, I am going to hit the pool for a swim clinic that my triathlon group is conducting.  I haven't swam since my tri in October, so I'm a little nervous about how much swim fitness I have lost.  But my personal trainer/coach will be there, and I want him to get a look at my stroke to see what I can do to improve.

Weird fact for Friday:  My parents and my mom-in-law live with us.  We all had separate houses and sold them a few years ago.  We rented a big huge house together for a couple of years, and it worked out really well, so we decided to buy a new big house together a few years back.  So my little 7 year old daughter is being raised by 5 adults, LOL!  It's not always easy, but for the most part, everything works out, and I love being able to take off now and then for an evening workout and know that my daughter is in good hands.

2012-01-28 5:48 AM
in reply to: #4015514

User image

Veteran
Jennifers - 2012-01-28 12:11 AM

Long day today- managed to get my swim and run in, but now ready to crash.  I have a very busy weekend ahead of me.  There is a multisport expo in Milwaukee this weekend, so my weekend kicks off with a 3 hour ride (indoor with trainers) followed by volunteering at the booth for one of my triathlon teams, wandering the expo and trying to resist the urge to buy a tri bike (my husband would KILL me, but there's a Cervelo deal where I can get one for $1000 off), running for 30 min easy, and a transition race.  Pretty excited for that one...

Make sure to stop by the Madison Mini Marathon and Summerfest Rock 'n Sole Run booth.  That is my company.  Tell Anna I said hello!

Good luck on your time trial tomorrow.

2012-01-28 5:50 AM
in reply to: #4015566

User image

Veteran
MoniqueGriffith - 2012-01-28 2:55 AM

Just squeaking in on the tail end of Friday.  It's been a hectic week as my daughter has been sick and stayed home from school most of the week.  Kinda tough to get workouts in and whatnot.  I did get in a good workout this afternoon, though.  75 minutes of run/walk and 15 minutes of rowing at the gym.  I decided to see how fast I could run a mile (since I'm a total noob of a runner), and I managed 10:48.  For ME, that's fast considering that I could never do faster than 14 minutes 6 months ago. 

Got my Timex Ironman heartrate monitor watch in the mail today.  Ordered from Amazon for about $68.  I put the chest strap on and set up the basics on the watch.  Well, the watch got a signal from the chest strap for about 5 minutes, and then couldn't get a signal anymore.  It did pop back for 30 seconds one more time, but that was it.  Very disappointing.  It had gotten pretty good reviews for the most part on Amazon, but there were a few people that said they had the same problem I'm having.  So I might have to return it and try again.

Tomorrow, I am going to hit the pool for a swim clinic that my triathlon group is conducting.  I haven't swam since my tri in October, so I'm a little nervous about how much swim fitness I have lost.  But my personal trainer/coach will be there, and I want him to get a look at my stroke to see what I can do to improve.

Weird fact for Friday:  My parents and my mom-in-law live with us.  We all had separate houses and sold them a few years ago.  We rented a big huge house together for a couple of years, and it worked out really well, so we decided to buy a new big house together a few years back.  So my little 7 year old daughter is being raised by 5 adults, LOL!  It's not always easy, but for the most part, everything works out, and I love being able to take off now and then for an evening workout and know that my daughter is in good hands.

Great running, I am sure this is becasue of steady training for a while.

Your swim stroke will come back to you with little problem.  After a few sessions I am sure you will get back any lost pool fitness.  Great that your trainer will be there...savves you from having to replicate Tim's production to show your trainer your stroke Laughing  Enjoy it! 

2012-01-28 11:48 AM

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hey folks,

I've been keeping up with all the posts, but haven't checked in in a while.  Some stressful stuff at my end has been going on (and some good stuff, too).  I'll start with the good stuff - as of last weekend, we are foster "parents" for a rescue dog (I'm sure the first of many).  In addition to our two pups, we will be taking in various dogs (one at a time), giving them a home, and basically teaching them how to be part of a family until they find their "forever" homes.  Right now, we have a one-year old Australian Shepherd (whom we are calling "Taz") living with us.  Our permanent dogs are loving his presence, and the three of them are playing together constantly. I suspect he will find a home easily and that he won't be with us for too long.

The other good thing is that one of my goals for 2012 (scoring a goal for my co-ed team) is complete! This is the one team where I rarely play offensively, I usually play defence for them, so I don't get many chances to shoot on net (except the occasional corner kick); but a few weeks ago, I got to play up at forward and finally got one in!

As for the bad, I don't want to go into detail, but the end result is that I don't feel I can register for any races for this year.  This is making training difficult, as I have always been a "train to race" kind of person.  I enjoy the training, don't get me wrong; but have a hard time getting motivated to spin (I don't bike outside when  there is snow and ice on the ground), swim laps, or even run when I don't have the deadline of a race anywhere on my calendar.  I have been running, but not consistently (except for soccer games on Mondays and Thursdays; I was out last Sunday in the snow, and plan to go out again today, but that's about it). I haven't been in a pool since December, and have only gotten to one spin class this year. I definitely miss the stress release that exercise (especially running) gives me, but am finding it hard to get myself out.

I'm a little stuck and would welcome any tips for how to keep motivated without an "end" goal?

2012-01-29 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4015941

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
hgoudreau - 2012-01-28 11:48 AM

I'm a little stuck and would welcome any tips for how to keep motivated without an "end" goal?

Run with a friend, if you dont have someone to run with then go to the running room, they have free runs on Wednesday nights (I think its Wednesday?) and Sundays. I have run with the Running room many Sundays. They do have clinics as well for $70 but I am away during the week so have never signed up. You arent seen as a "freeloader" at all so dont worry about attending the free runs, they have everything from 5km to 1/2marathons.

For biking I really cant watch a movie anymore unless I am on the trainer. I have a projector set up for my laptop so its great.

Swimming I am a bit at a loss, I started only doing OWS swims last summer and havent been to the pool since. I find the pool frustrating and boring. Hopefully someone else can help with that.

So go to the free Running room runs and watch a movie or 2 each week. Its not going to net you a huge improvement but its better than riding the couch.

2012-01-29 10:36 AM

User image

SE North Carolina
Did a ride this morning with tri sports, only went 9 miles with about 20 riders, we went over an upcomming azalea tri course, ran 2.5 after the ride, first brick Ive done since October....a little on the cold side but not to bad out.......
2012-01-29 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Hello team!

Well, I survived expo weekend.  My friend Anna & I did every possible event at the expo.  Saturday we rode on the trainer for 3 hours with 42 other riders for a charity ride (wasn't too bad, got a 5 minute break every hour to hop off, stretch, and refuel), then got a massage and did a nice easy recovery run on the treadmills at the expo for 30 minutes, and participated in the transition races.  We had to start in a full wetsuit, run to a bike rack, remove the wetsuit, put on shoes (running shoes, we weren't allowed to wear cleats on the expo floor), a helmet, and glasses and run with our bike out of transition and back in, rack the bike and remove the shoes and put them back on, put on a visor or hat and race belt, exit and run back to the finish.  I had issues getting my helmet clipped in round one, so I ended up in the consolation round and barely got beat out, but had the second fastest time of the whole competition at 1:01 (first was :59, who beat me out for 3rd place). 

Today I raced in a 10k and set a PR depsite very icy and snowy conditions for parts of the course.  I placed 9th in my AG, so I was excited about that after all I did yesterday!  Then we competed in the draft-legal team time trials on the computrainer.  I didn't know you could draft on computrainers, but evidently there is a setting that lets you do that!  My legs were fried from the run, and my team ended up dropping me but I pushed through and finished the wonderful 10k course.  Then, I was informed that we got to ride the course again in the consolation round.  Argh.  Managed to push through again and did better on the second ride than on the first. 

Hgoudreau- first of all, congrats on your soccer goal!!  As a fellow soccer athlete, I can relate to how awesome it is to finally get in a position to score, so nice work!  As far as goals, are there any non-race events you could look for?  Like a charity ride?  Sometimes that can make a great goal for exercising and training.  Or, maybe evaluate what you would like to improve upon from previous races (i.e. run a 5k within a specific time) and train to accomplish that, and then "test" yourself by going on a 5k run and checking your time?  Just some thoughts to help keep you focused on improving and give some direction for your training.

2012-01-29 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Hello group, hope everyones weekend was good.  Sorry I was awal this weekend but seemed to have something to do everyday all day. Training for me was pretty slow but I will catchup with your logs mon or tues.  Hard to believe its almost feb already.
2012-01-29 8:07 PM
in reply to: #4014162

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
kcgolf - 2012-01-27 11:25 AM

Coach - are you forgetting about golf? Smile

razorxp - 2012-01-27 10:46 AM
Niezels - 2012-01-26 4:17 PM

In case you are wondering why non triathletes stop talking to you.

http://youtu.be/1KTEgLKhjIw

So true, I wish I could still play other sports.

Like I said "PLAY" (ie do it good)

2012-01-29 8:13 PM
in reply to: #4014777

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

MANDOWN - 2012-01-27 3:25 PM work kind of messed up my workout schedule this week, I am suppose to do a 6 mile run in the morning tommorow, hopefully it will go ok and next week i can get back on track.... Im thinking about getting a watch style GPS, my friend has the garmin 310, any other recommendations out there for one...

I like all to garmin products (own a 305/405 & 205) Also have a timex gps watch and I would stay away from it unless you live where you have perfect site to the sky (ie not trees or buildings).  Just chase after the person your tracking, you can get a great workout.

2012-01-29 8:16 PM
in reply to: #4015171

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Niezels - 2012-01-27 6:26 PM

MANDOWN - 2012-01-27 9:25 PM work kind of messed up my workout schedule this week, I am suppose to do a 6 mile run in the morning tommorow, hopefully it will go ok and next week i can get back on track.... Im thinking about getting a watch style GPS, my friend has the garmin 310, any other recommendations out there for one...

I love my Garmin 310. Though not sure if I would buy it again. Being more serious to the sport now I could see myself buying a Timex. Main reason is that you can fit a Timex for al 3 sports. The Garmin isn't waterproof and not the best option for biking either.

Garmin has 2 models that are waterproof now and the newest is pretty sweet. I was staying in the sport I would buy it asap.

2012-01-29 8:17 PM
in reply to: #4014787

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-01-27 3:29 PM

OK, been gone a while , but have still been getting in my workouts.

I went to a friend's house to talk to him about a running program for his upcoming 1/2 marathon.  He showed me his Garmin and told me about not being able to stay in zone 1 for his easy runs.  NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY YOU ARE ALL HAVING A PROBLEM!!  The standard setting by the garmin watch is so low.  I always learned from HR books and articles that the zones are 65-75%, 75-80, 80-85, 85-90, 90+.  His Garmin had him trying to run at 50% of his max HR which is around 100 bpm.

Once we did some math and re-set his watch he was more able to run at a comfy pace and keep the HR in a reasonable zone.

Might be an answer for those having HR zone troubles.

Great advice!  That would be pretty hard to stay that low. lol  what would the rpe be around -5

2012-01-29 8:22 PM
in reply to: #4015566

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
MoniqueGriffith - 2012-01-28 2:55 AM\

I love my parents but after a weekend I need a break(and they stay to themselves), you must have a ton a patients.  I am probably the odd ball though as I never had a roommate or shared anything until I was married. I love my space! :-)

Edited by razorxp 2012-01-29 8:22 PM
2012-01-29 8:28 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
hgoudreau - 2012-01-28 12:48 PM

Hey folks,

I've been keeping up with all the posts, but haven't checked in in a while.  Some stressful stuff at my end has been going on (and some good stuff, too).  I'll start with the good stuff - as of last weekend, we are foster "parents" for a rescue dog (I'm sure the first of many).  In addition to our two pups, we will be taking in various dogs (one at a time), giving them a home, and basically teaching them how to be part of a family until they find their "forever" homes.  Right now, we have a one-year old Australian Shepherd (whom we are calling "Taz") living with us.  Our permanent dogs are loving his presence, and the three of them are playing together constantly. I suspect he will find a home easily and that he won't be with us for too long.

The other good thing is that one of my goals for 2012 (scoring a goal for my co-ed team) is complete! This is the one team where I rarely play offensively, I usually play defence for them, so I don't get many chances to shoot on net (except the occasional corner kick); but a few weeks ago, I got to play up at forward and finally got one in!

As for the bad, I don't want to go into detail, but the end result is that I don't feel I can register for any races for this year.  This is making training difficult, as I have always been a "train to race" kind of person.  I enjoy the training, don't get me wrong; but have a hard time getting motivated to spin (I don't bike outside when  there is snow and ice on the ground), swim laps, or even run when I don't have the deadline of a race anywhere on my calendar.  I have been running, but not consistently (except for soccer games on Mondays and Thursdays; I was out last Sunday in the snow, and plan to go out again today, but that's about it). I haven't been in a pool since December, and have only gotten to one spin class this year. I definitely miss the stress release that exercise (especially running) gives me, but am finding it hard to get myself out.

1st off that is great you are doing that for the pups.  We were "foster" parents to a boxer for about a week and somehow he is still here! lol  We have 2 dogs that are 4lbs and 8lbs so a 80lb boxer was not in the plans not to mention I am terribly allergic to shedding dogs.

For the other you don't have pay for a race to set up your own 5k or 10k race.  Heck I am cheap why would I pay (unless donating to charity) to run 3miles or 6miles.  Put a date on the calender and make it your own race.

2012-01-30 8:14 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

I hope everyone had a great weekend. I survived the bonspiel but I have to admit my legs and arms are hurting from chasing rocks up and down the ice and sweeping my you know what off LOL.

Official IM plan starts today with a swim and a run - here we go Smile.

Music Monday

Lose Yourself EMINEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO2wA0Te0wM

2012-01-30 10:02 AM

User image

Veteran

Had a great time at the Super Bowl Experience with the family yesterday.  Our city is doing a great job with the events - and the weather is really helping.  A picture or 2 may show up on Friday.

Was not able to complete my long run again (cut one short 3 weeks ago, skipped last week altogether)- I am starting to lose confidence which has never happened to me in running before.  I headed out for my long slow 20 miler.  Felt hip/back pain with in 1st 5 miles, but told myself to continue and beat the pain - make sure I completed the task at hand.  At mile 9.5 I was starting to get more sharp pains and decided to head home, which took another mile.  Anyway, I think I need to find somone to run with at least for part of the long slow runs.  Not sure why this is happening - I have been nailing all of the workouts during the week.

I am going to ask my Tri Team if anyone is interested in long running - I may be looked at like a wierdo for not spending all my time on a trainer, but I think it is worth a shot.

2012-01-30 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4018427

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Brian.

I did the Super Bowl Experience when it was played in Detroit a few years back and had a blast all week long - it was a lot of fun.

Sorry to hear about the pain during your last attempt at your long slow 20 miler - hoping you don't have much to worry about and I think it sounds like a great idea to have someone to do that with. Wish I was close by, you could count on me to do it with you. Just hang in there, your confidence will come back - your too good at it for it not to.

KC

Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-01-30 11:02 AM

Had a great time at the Super Bowl Experience with the family yesterday.  Our city is doing a great job with the events - and the weather is really helping.  A picture or 2 may show up on Friday.

Was not able to complete my long run again (cut one short 3 weeks ago, skipped last week altogether)- I am starting to lose confidence which has never happened to me in running before.  I headed out for my long slow 20 miler.  Felt hip/back pain with in 1st 5 miles, but told myself to continue and beat the pain - make sure I completed the task at hand.  At mile 9.5 I was starting to get more sharp pains and decided to head home, which took another mile.  Anyway, I think I need to find somone to run with at least for part of the long slow runs.  Not sure why this is happening - I have been nailing all of the workouts during the week.

I am going to ask my Tri Team if anyone is interested in long running - I may be looked at like a wierdo for not spending all my time on a trainer, but I think it is worth a shot.

2012-01-30 6:06 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

What happened - everyone run out of songs for Monday? I was really enjoying listening to the different tunes Smile.

First official day of IM training in the books. My plan starts out a bit slow but I am going to trust it and make adjustments as I see fit and as the Coach tells me too of course. Right Coach? Laughing

I know for sure that the bike is going to be key. The reports I am reading on line about IM NYC are that the elevations changes on the bike and run are crazy so I am going to have to find some hills when the weather breaks. Damn good thing the swim is flat Laughing.

Have a great night everyone.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2012-01-30 6:07 PM
2012-01-30 6:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

KC, that's SO exciting. 1st day of 'official' training - whoot whoot. We'll all be rooting you on.

Song for Monday is another one from my 'run' playlist. I feel like I pick up the pace and smile when this one comes up....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmOe27SJ3Yc

Training has not been going weell. My husband is a brat and gave me his 'man flu'. I got sick on Friday and have not trained since. I missed a 6 mile run on Saturday. I'm hoping to feel well enough tomorrow to jump back in for my scheduled 4 miles.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 43