BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2012-04-07 6:20 PM
in reply to: #3945983

User image

Veteran
N.Ireland
Subject: RE: FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed

I have little experience on the bike but have had similar experience in longer runs 2 - 3 hrs, I used to just shed the clothing and pick up later but now I go out dressed for the warmest part of the day knowing that I'll heat up quickly as soon as I go out, options:

- Shed clothing and pick up at a later date

- Go out coldish with you warmers on which can be stripped and put in your jacket

- Wear some old under t-shirts that you can bin on the way

Personally wouldn't like the back pack idea.

2012-04-07 9:55 PM
in reply to: #4135850

User image

Veteran
Waterford, MI.
As it turns out I didn't have to worry about it.  I went out dressed for warmer temps knowing I would be a little chilly for the first hour or so, but the ride got cut short.  About 10 miles into the ride my rear derailer cable broke so we decided to turn around.  The 10 miles on the way back to the car was brutal.  Pretty hilly and stuck in my 53-11 gear.
2012-04-08 1:47 AM

User image

Veteran
N.Ireland

Nightmare although it was a good question to bring up...

We'll I've hopefully come to the end of my bad luck stuck in the pit for the last two days due to a stomach bug, new it was coming as the kids had it at the start of the week.

Strange as it may seem it may be a blessing in disguise as I'm itching to go out for a run now my pain has subsided in the calf but I'm instructed to get my strengthening exercises done up until Thursday before I run.

Feeling 1,000 times better today just haven't recovered my appetite which is yet another good thing with the amount of chocolate sitting round the house this morning.

There's always positives to be had

2012-04-08 6:06 PM
in reply to: #4136155

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-04-09 8:04 AM

Expert

Got in a decent run Saturday but had to cut it about a half mile short off of what I'd planned on doing because I woke up late and risked ruining my wife's plans for the day.  Not something I would ever advise.

Went on a bike ride yesterday just under 25 Miles with a bunch of guys who are just getting back on their bikes.  Much slower than I would have gone but it was good for me to learn a little patience and get some really good work on high cadence pedaling.  Got a good burn out of it anyway.

Bought a used Garmin 305 with the HRM.  So now I'm getting HR data.  Guess that means now I have to research HR training.  This sport is addictive.

Today is my rest day so instead of pounding the pavement I'll be out mowing the yard this afternoon.  Active rest for the legs I like to call it.

Don

2012-04-09 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4137596

2012-04-09 1:52 PM

Veteran
N.Ireland

Well I had my first open water swim today, the air temp was 42 F the water temp was fooking freezing.

It was very difficult not sure if it was the side wind (minimal), the unfamilarity, or just the fact the water was so cold as I struggled to swim 250m.

Sense of direction was all over the place and my breathing difficult to control BUT I new my first time out was just to test the water so to speak and it felt really good walking out the water whilst droves of people walked by wrapped up in their winter warmers.

Can't wait until the next time and felt great to be out again!!

2012-04-09 8:24 PM
in reply to: #4134516

Veteran
Minneapolis
FoggyGoggles - 2012-04-06 3:16 PM

Yep... it's pricy. But that price includes my fiancé and little man. I checked with the YMCA and they still charged $85 / mo for all of us. I was a little surprised.

But, I will say that it's a motivating place. I hit a spin class this morning while my son was in the child care area. Good instructor and great bikes. They even had little mock TT bikes to keep us multisport guys happy. They also have a running and cycling group that I can join at no additional cost. I guess you can get as much out of the dues as you'd like to. 

Might hit the gym again this evening if the future Mrs is up for it. Otherwise I hope to get a run in.

For the record... I am sitting in my living room while typing this. I do not have a wetsuit on however. :-)

Nice that the membership includes some groups! That definitely makes up for it. I'm pleased that I at least get Masters class at the YW for free. Most of the other classes I'd want to take though are way too expensive.

2012-04-09 8:32 PM

Veteran
Minneapolis

MUCH LOVE for anyone who wears their wetsuit in their living room. LOL I tried one on for the first time today and I've decided BT needs to add a whole new column for "wetsuit workouts"! Hate to be the person who wipes down all the sweaty rental wetsuits. :D

On that note, I did manage to luck out in that the FIRST suit I tried on fit great (according to the sales lady @ Urban Tri) but I can't cough up $220 without testing it out. Anybody in the MPLS area doing lake swims yet? I'm only available on weekends, and I'd like to rent the suit next week and test it out. Not crazy about the idea of lake swimming in general, so I definitely don't want to go alone but also don't want to hold up a group...the suit I like is the TYR Cat 1 s/m, and Urban Tri let's you rent, then deducts the rental cost from the price on the new suit  you take home. Pretty decent! I looked a bit online and didn't find anything new cheaper, and nothing used.

Ate too many cookies at Easter Dinner, but got a lot of good training in over the weekend. Missed my Saturday run, but turned my Sunday bike into a brick. about 14 miles on the bike and then a 3 mile run! The run was pathetically slow, even for me (depressing) but I'm just happy to have logged the miles.

Back to work tomorrow (and not the fun, training kind of work either). :/

2012-04-10 6:38 AM
in reply to: #4139482

2012-04-10 7:48 AM

Expert

Morning everyone.  Had a great morning 4 miler this morning.  Got a short bike ride this afternoon to complete my Twosday.  Just started training with a Garmin 305 I bought from a member here used.  I love this thing.  I'm such a damn gadget nerd but it really helps me train.

I was looking at my results this morning and it was funny.  I have always said that my body hates the first mile of any run.  It is tough to find a rythym my breathing has to adjust etc, etc.  Well the results bore that out this monring.  On the first mile of my run my heart rate was all over the place and erratic, then like clockwork at the one mile point I found my rythym and literally my heart rate just flat lines around 130 right on the low end of my aerobic zone.  It was just so funny to see because I've always known the first mile is the worst mile.  My body fights it with every step, but if I can just make the first 10 minutes or so then everything falls into equilibrium.  Awesome tool, and it makes me look forward to workouts.

Robbie - you are crazy to get out in that water....but thats okay I like crazy.

2012-04-10 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4140081

Veteran
N.Ireland

The reason your first mile is like that is due to the lack of warm up, your body is in shock.

If you haven't time for 5 - 10 min brisk walk b4 your run take off slowly until your body adapts, I've got into a bad habit not doing this which I believe is the main reason for me blowing out in the last couple of half mara's (heart rate too high too early)

I use a garmin also great job!!

Edited by Marshpike 2012-04-10 8:28 AM
2012-04-10 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4140211

2012-04-10 10:51 AM

Veteran
N.Ireland

I couldn't understand why my heart rate in my last couple of races started around 15bpm faster than my training sessions, I look forward to the runs and don't really get anxious on race day.

I compared my last four 13.1 mile runs, 2 x training, 2 x races, both training runs were sub 8min and I maintained good strength through out, in the races the first one was sub 8 but I really struggled from mile 10 on, the 2nd one I totally blew out and finished with an 8.19pace.

Straight away from reviewing my Garmin I could see why, on both training sessions I went out really slow hoping for an 8.30 pace but as I warmed up into the run my speed gradually picked up and as my heart rate stayed low I was able to push my speed and maintain it at the end.

Total opposite happened in both my races, I went out with 8min pace in my mind but got caught out a bit, in the first race I went out on a 7.40 min pace for the first 4 miles and the second race which I blew up in I went out with a 7.30 pace both on new courses.

You just have to love Garmin for this type of analysis, I can't wait until my next half on the 9th May when I intent on uploading the best of the two training runs to my watch and using the virtual racer app to control my speed at the beginning. My main goal is to finish strong and not blow out, a sub 8 min pace would be nice.

2012-04-11 7:22 AM

Veteran
Toronto, Canada

I had a 10km run planned yesterday but then it started to rain/hail.

Decided to jump on the bike/trainer instead since i'm out of "winter" mode and didn't want to deal with the cold outside.

Followed that up with some ST and ended up going out to walk the dogs.

The weather is getting warmer and my first half marathon is 4 weeks away.  This sunday I plan on getting a 20km run in and then bring down the volume slowly.

Does everyone have a garmin?  I only have an older Timex Ironman watch that tracks HR.  I'm looking for a GPS watch but can't afford to buy something like the 910.

2012-04-11 7:24 AM

Expert

So I got a good short high cadence high intensity ride in yesterday.  Only 14.8 miles but lots of hills and really focused on keeping a high cadence in easier gears.  Its so tough to mentally break from what seems so natural (that being lower power gears and mashing) but I think in the end it will be beneficial to me as I increase race distance.  Good finish to what has become my training day jokingly referred to as Twos-day.

Rolled out of the rack again this morning at 4:40 and got in a good 4.76 mile run.  Focused on a slower start, almost drove myself crazy starting slow.  However at the end of the run every mile was faster than the one before it and thats what I was looking to accomplish so it was all good.

Going to take on a group ride tomorrow with a group from the local triathlon store in San Antonio, Trisitions Area, and just kind of use it as a yard stick of my technique and speed.  Hope all of you have a great day.

Don

2012-04-11 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4142681

2012-04-11 9:25 AM

Expert
2paz - 2012-04-11 7:22 AM

I had a 10km run planned yesterday but then it started to rain/hail.

Decided to jump on the bike/trainer instead since i'm out of "winter" mode and didn't want to deal with the cold outside.

Followed that up with some ST and ended up going out to walk the dogs.

The weather is getting warmer and my first half marathon is 4 weeks away.  This sunday I plan on getting a 20km run in and then bring down the volume slowly.

Does everyone have a garmin?  I only have an older Timex Ironman watch that tracks HR.  I'm looking for a GPS watch but can't afford to buy something like the 910.

I too roll with the 305.  I literally started working out with it this week.  Its a really good tool to look at alot of different things in your training as mentioned.  Since the 910 came out you can find some really good deals on used ones.  I bought mine off of this site in the classifieds forum for $100.00.  So far it has proven to be one of the best training tools I've gotten.

2012-04-11 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4143083

2012-04-12 4:33 AM

Veteran
N.Ireland

Finally got out for my first run in nearly 3 weeks, 4miles @ 9.08 pace. The calf held up but I couldn't have pushed my speed any further without stressing it.

Great to be out again, I just need to patiently build the miles back up.

2012-04-12 7:37 AM

Veteran
Toronto, Canada

Nice Robbie...you'll be back on track in no time.

Foggy, thanks for the heads up but i guess i was too slow.  SOLD Frown

Oh well, i think i'm going to invest in the Timex Global Trainer.  You can get one brand new for $150.  It's huge but races/training isn't a beauty pageant.

2012-04-12 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4145017

2012-04-12 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4145165

Veteran
N.Ireland
2paz - 2012-04-12 1:37 PM

Nice Robbie...you'll be back on track in no time.

Oh well, i think i'm going to invest in the Timex Global Trainer. 

I don't know anything about the Timex but you do need to be aware that Garmin Connect (the online analysis app) is hard to beat, you can pick up a brand new 305 with heart rate for under $100 if you keep your eyes peeled.

2012-04-12 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4145514

Veteran
N.Ireland
FoggyGoggles - 2012-04-12 3:29 PM

Plus, it will be good to build the engine back up at those slower paces as well.

I hear you Foggy!!

2012-04-12 5:15 PM

Veteran
Minneapolis
2paz - 2012-04-11 7:22 AM

I don't even have that much! Just a regular old digital watch. I'm not remotely a techie. I'm totally not in winter mode anymore either! The cold morning air is killing me. Got in a 10 mile ride before work this morning and felt like I had concrete legs. UGH. Off to the gym for some circuit work soon. First Sprint is 3 weeks from Saturday!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 32