BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2013-05-24 6:58 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Cleveland OH
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed
Chris might I suggest this for you

http://pacificfit.net/items/how-to-qualify-for-kona/

I have been listening to Ben Greenfields podcasts for awhile now and I really enjoy them, the guy really is smart and knows what he is doing.
He places pretty high in all the races he does.

2013-05-24 7:05 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

Originally posted by Clempson

had a long ride this weekend from clemson up to a place called sassafras mountain. i totally underestimated this ride, tons of elevation. the climb just to get to the mountain was ridiculous, but it was downhill the whole 40 miles back to clemson for the most part. weather varied from 90 and sunny to 65 and rainy, pretty crazy.

starting to begin my taper for my HIM. had my last long run yesterday of 15 miles @7:40, was fairly moderate effort since the course was mostly flat. not really sure how to taper effectively on the bike, so i'll probably just stick to a group ride next week and then a short outdoor ride to make sure everything is in working order on my TT setup. im pretty iffy on the bottle setup i have at the moment... and im not sure whether or not i should carry a flat kit for the race.

Just take it easy for the most part tapering on the bike... a couple of sets of some V02 stuff is probably worth throwing in, but probably not a ton and not much longer than 2-3min each.

What's your current bottle / flat setup?

I would def carry a Flat kit on your HIM, Would you rather say to your friends "Yeah I DNFED this weekend" OR " Yeah I completed a Half Ironman this weekend" What did you do?

Good luck in your race.
2013-05-24 9:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by Leegocrap

Just take it easy for the most part tapering on the bike... a couple of sets of some V02 stuff is probably worth throwing in, but probably not a ton and not much longer than 2-3min each.

Well the forecast is 95 and sunny so I'm carrying 2 in the cages and a torhans Aero bottle up front. Don't plan on being on the bike much longer than 2.5 if I can help it though. For flat kit, bag under the seat I guess. Normally for a sprint or Olympic I would stash it in a bottle and put it in a cage. I wanted to maybe grab a bottle off the course but this being my first ironman/HIM and with a late swim wave in not sure how the stations will be on the bike.

My taper is going great though. I have developed either tendinitis or planter fasciitis in my left foot. No running or riding for me, currently resting with compression sleeves on. Rolling seems to help since I think it is being caused by a knot in my calf muscle

Edited by Clempson 2013-05-24 9:07 PM
2013-05-27 6:42 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Cleveland OH
Had a great weekend.

Ran and swam on Friday, got 1600 yds in under 30 mins woohoo!!

Rode 45 miles on Saturday with a big group.

Ran a 10k sunday morning in 46:06 which I believe is a new PR
then Hooked up the bike trailer to my singlespeed 29er and went for a 10 mile ride with my wife and son.

Less than 2 weeks to my first TRI, I am so flipping nervous.

2013-05-27 9:31 PM
in reply to: smithat05

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by smithat05

Had a great weekend.

then Hooked up the bike trailer to my singlespeed 29er and went for a 10 mile ride with my wife and son.

great swim time! and congrats on the 10k PR!

relax and have fun for your first race; take in the experience. you have plenty of opportunities to kill yourself later.
2013-05-27 9:35 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
had a great OWS this sunday, was about 3k yards out and back. killed it on the way back using a new stroke technique i picked up on friday... i had someone actually stop me in my set in the pool on friday and tell me how horrible of a swimmer i am and offer some technique advise. i guess you have to learn somehow...

got in 26 miles today on my bike at HIM effort. average HR was ~150 which is right where i wanted, i don't have a powermeter so i have to go off HR and cadence. my foot "feels" better. did some long calve stretches today and felt something pull loose, so hopefully that was it. i still don't plan to run a mile before friday just in case though.

2013-05-28 7:41 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Originally posted by Leegocrap

Well the forecast is 95 and sunny so I'm carrying 2 in the cages and a torhans Aero bottle up front. Don't plan on being on the bike much longer than 2.5 if I can help it though. For flat kit, bag under the seat I guess. Normally for a sprint or Olympic I would stash it in a bottle and put it in a cage. I wanted to maybe grab a bottle off the course but this being my first ironman/HIM and with a late swim wave in not sure how the stations will be on the bike.

My taper is going great though. I have developed either tendinitis or planter fasciitis in my left foot. No running or riding for me, currently resting with compression sleeves on. Rolling seems to help since I think it is being caused by a knot in my calf muscle

That sounds like a pretty good bottle setup. Just throw the flat kit in a plastic bag and tape it up under your seat.
2013-05-28 7:42 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Had a great weekend.

Heck yeah, We'll always accept PR's

With the kind of training you're putting in, your first tri is going to go great!
2013-05-28 7:43 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Chris might I suggest this for you

http://pacificfit.net/items/how-to-qualify-for-kona/

I have been listening to Ben Greenfields podcasts for awhile now and I really enjoy them, the guy really is smart and knows what he is doing.
He places pretty high in all the races he does.

Sweet I'll check it out
2013-05-28 7:44 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Crazy weekend. Went to Chattanooga Friday night and watched the USPro TT on Saturday, then drove home Sunday afternoon and raced a sprint Monday morning! Whew.

Had a good race and despite riding my road bike instead of my tri bike I still managed to shave :40 off my time last year. (Thanks to improved run fitness)
2013-05-28 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Sounds like you guys are getting after it pretty good. Me? I'm doing a lot of cross training recently. You know, picking up couches, moving them up stairs, chopping enough wood to survive some catastrophical snow event, paiting endlessly, re-wiring whatever the hell it is the previous owner thought electricty was, installing hard wood floors and carpet and baseboard and pretty much doing every other thing in the world you'd have to do to a house. It's great though, I love doing that stuff. It's been a whole week off from training though and I miss it like crazy. I've kind of tempered my expectations for racing this year but I'm 100% ok with it beacuse my boy has a huge yard to run around in and I have a garage to set up shop.

2013-05-29 12:30 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by jonD81

Sounds like you guys are getting after it pretty good. Me? I'm doing a lot of cross training recently. You know, picking up couches, moving them up stairs, chopping enough wood to survive some catastrophical snow event, paiting endlessly, re-wiring whatever the hell it is the previous owner thought electricty was, installing hard wood floors and carpet and baseboard and pretty much doing every other thing in the world you'd have to do to a house. It's great though, I love doing that stuff. It's been a whole week off from training though and I miss it like crazy. I've kind of tempered my expectations for racing this year but I'm 100% ok with it beacuse my boy has a huge yard to run around in and I have a garage to set up shop.

Now that's true multisport right there

My garage was the greatest (and worst) thing that's ever happened for me! So easy (and expensive) to start projects hah
2013-05-29 2:22 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Garages are great for toys, not to mention how great they are in the winter around here with not having to dig your car out of 3' of snow at 6am. I love it. All 3 bikes are racked, I have a separate room in the basement for the trainer with the laptop and TV set up that also has a huge sliding door so I'll get good ventilation between that and the fan. I have 3 good sized work benches that will making wrenching the bikes so much easier. Now to get back to training! Going to get a run in tonight after the kid goes to sleep.
2013-05-30 8:09 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
i envy you. i am so ready to get a house.... just need to figure out where i really want to live in the country first.
2013-05-30 8:14 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
got in a few good swims and rides this week. no running, didn't want to risk it. worst case scenario i don't run and let whatever it is heal/repair itself more before my HIM.

got everything packed up now. thinking of pre packing the car tonight with everything but my bike, car will be in the garage so im not too worried about my bags. i think im going to go with my racing flats for the run since every time i usually feel better after running in them than i do my training shoes. completely different drop.

i've been monitoring all the forum traffic on the event and everyone is freaking out about the hills (1300ft for 56 miles and 200ft for 13.1), the non wetsuit swim, and the heat.... all im worried about is being able to run the run course.

not sure if ill be doing much posting between now and the race, but ill let you guys know how it goes after....
2013-05-30 9:12 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
Good luck on your Race Clempson.

I haven't had time to train since Monday. and I am out of town sat and sun so hopefully I can get something in friday then sunday night. Have my first Tri of the year next sunday the 9th.

I love garages too! too bad neither of my houses have one. I have a carport on one.
I did a lot of work to my one house, totally gutted the whole thing, new electric, plumbing, drywall, ceilings, walls.
I like doing that kind of stuff but anymore I don't have the time, and end up just paying someone to come do it for me.

2013-05-31 8:13 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

got in a few good swims and rides this week. no running, didn't want to risk it. worst case scenario i don't run and let whatever it is heal/repair itself more before my HIM.

got everything packed up now. thinking of pre packing the car tonight with everything but my bike, car will be in the garage so im not too worried about my bags. i think im going to go with my racing flats for the run since every time i usually feel better after running in them than i do my training shoes. completely different drop.

i've been monitoring all the forum traffic on the event and everyone is freaking out about the hills (1300ft for 56 miles and 200ft for 13.1), the non wetsuit swim, and the heat.... all im worried about is being able to run the run course.

not sure if ill be doing much posting between now and the race, but ill let you guys know how it goes after....

good luck on the race!

In the heat make sure to take an extra bottle of water at the aid stations on the bike and dump it over your head. Then on the run, start grabbing ice and shoving it under your hat / in jersey starting with mile 1. Grip Ice when you can/need to, and take some nutrition regardless of how you feel.

Crush it!
2013-05-31 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Good luck on the race! I'm sure you'll kill it. Sounds like you've had some rock solid training. Best of luck to you! Can't wait to read the race report.
2013-06-03 5:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: Ironman Raleigh 70.3
Had my race yesterday and an met my one goal of finishing it! Ended up with a time of 5:17, 18th in my AG and 194 overall. Swim and Bike courses were awesome and the Run course was BRUTAL. May have been the full sun and heat, or it could have been the 4.5 mile uphill to start followed by steep climbs and drops. Dunno.

My legs actually locked up when I got off my bike; couldn't bend them at the knee. Not really sure why that happened since I didn't push too hard on the bike and its never happened to me before on rides of longer/harder distance. Needless to say not being able to bend my knees made the run... interesting. I was waaay off pace from what I wanted to run, but there is always next time.

The city was great, the event was great, and the courses were awesome. The whole town came out for the race along the entire bike/run courses. If anyone is thinking of doing this one next year I'd highly recommend it. The bike course was very fast too.

Edited by Clempson 2013-06-03 5:18 PM
2013-06-03 5:41 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Ironman Raleigh 70.3
Had been wondering how it went for you! Glad to hear it was goal met!

part of your body getting used to longer races is something you can only get the "feel" for by racing. My first long distance race put my legs in a similar feel of being locked up off the bike. (and oh boy two days later...) The subsequent races that feeling wasn't as pronounced.

5:17 is a pretty slick time, especially with an off run. Sounds like a good job out there!

Now when's the next one
2013-06-04 7:03 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Congrats on the finish man. That sucks with your legs locking up like that, but you still killed the bike even with something funky going on with your legs. I'd have to think this was some awesome experience for you being your first race at that distance, so you figure next time it's only going to be easier.

2013-06-04 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
thanks all

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

Now when's the next one

thinking about doing either Augusta or Rev3 Anderson. or maybe just the olympic rev in anderson; i was less than 5 minutes off the podium last year and i have greatly improved in all three legs so far this year. i would really like to have at least one podium at the olympic distance before committing to longer races.
2013-06-05 8:17 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I can vouch for Augusta being a nice race. I'd say if you stay on pace in training you could sub-5 there. I would like to give Anderson a try myself, gonna have to look at when it is again.

2013-06-05 9:27 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
Just read your race report Clempson, as others have said great bike. Really sucks your legs locked up. I have no idea what to tell you. I would tend to think you rode too hard but sounds like you usually ride that hard. I think you did pretty well for your first HIM. Now you could refocus on OLY and try to podium.

I am doing my first OWS tomorrow morn in Lake Erie as long as the storms hold out.
Then my Tri on Sunday. My parents are coming to watch, I am hoping to get them motivated to lose some weight. they are typical baby boomers, overweight.

Ran a quick 5k this morn for Nat Run Day, 22:something.

Later
2013-06-06 3:23 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

I am doing my first OWS tomorrow morn in Lake Erie as long as the storms hold out.
Then my Tri on Sunday. My parents are coming to watch, I am hoping to get them motivated to lose some weight. they are typical baby boomers, overweight.

Erie will always be my fondest OWS, maybe because it was my first 2.4... It was like the ocean!

Crush it Sunday! We want more Race Reports!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 39