BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-09-06 4:43 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: The weekend approaches
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by JREDFLY

I know you are working out with that trainer on your running, how is ti going?

I believe my running coach is a sadist.  He seems to draw intense pleasure from reducing me to a quivering pile of flesh at the end of a workout.  That said, I think we are making very good progress.  We are planning to do an 'official, unofficial' 5K in the near future.  I thought we were doing it at the beginning of this month but he wants to hold off a couple more weeks.  He seems to think we can get my time down to sub 30 minutes.  I am not so sure, that is over 20 minutes faster than my run in July, but, he is the coach so we will see what we will see.  I do know that I am running faster, further, and with more confidence than I ever have so that is something to be happy about.

Thanks for asking.

How's the technique coming? If I recall correctly, just before all my travels started I saw some pictures of your form which clearly showed why you were struggling so much. I bet it is kind of fun (in a masochistic way) to be making that progress. Once you get down to sub-30 pace and get your technique more where your coach wants it, you'll start making some great strides on the endurance side. Sounds like you've got the right guy for you.

I am still marveling at Diana's swim. Thanks for sharing your first hand experiences with her. What she accomplished is so beyond my ability to comprehend... 110 miles is a challenging bike ride that some people have done (not lots mind you)... it is a run that only the craziest runners would even attempt - 4+ marathons back to back (if you've done a marathon, just stop and think about that for a moment)... 110 miles of swimming is a good YEAR'S worth of tri-swimming training for many of us (it would be my best swim training year since I started logging - not that I'm proud of that - but it does provide perspective). But she did it in the ocean, straight across... at age 64. Wow.

Stu

2013-09-06 5:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Getting back into the rhythm of training again. Not doing anything long, just trying to string together some consistency. Had a bit of a set-back on Wed while out for my first bike ride since doing the Skyline Drive. Was heading up the primary killer hill when a spoke broke that started a chain reaction of events that, long story short, totaled my bike. Fortunately for me, I was heading up that hill and not down it, so I just fell and rolled on the grass - nothing but a few tweaks. Placed an order for a new bike yesterday. The good news was that Trek had a deal where if you were the original owner on a Trek bike that was totaled in a crash, they'll give you 20% discount on a new one. With our daughter in college and having just started a landscaping project, I went fairly blue-collar on the bike. But at $1200 (even with the discount) is still the most I've ever spent on a bike, so I'm pretty excited. Should be ready next week after getting a proper fit. Looking forward to breaking it in on the Skyline Drive next week. Can't miss Sept / Oct bike season here in Virginia. Just the best!

A couple of other family news items to share: First was that my daughter called last week and said, "I just have to tell someone that will understand - I did a triathlon this morning". She'd been swimming, biking and running this summer and just decided one morning to do a sprint length triathlon on her own. 800 yard pool swim, 12 mile bike and 3 mile run. Just for fun. I think she may be hooked! LOL! And on Saturday, my wife did the Women's 4 miler (our biggest local race). She'd been training for it all summer. Longest run of her life. Anyway, really proud of my girls! They did great!

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2013-09-06 5:08 AM
2013-09-06 6:19 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
Originally posted by juneapple

Getting back into the rhythm of training again. Not doing anything long, just trying to string together some consistency. Had a bit of a set-back on Wed while out for my first bike ride since doing the Skyline Drive. Was heading up the primary killer hill when a spoke broke that started a chain reaction of events that, long story short, totaled my bike. Fortunately for me, I was heading up that hill and not down it, so I just fell and rolled on the grass - nothing but a few tweaks. Placed an order for a new bike yesterday. The good news was that Trek had a deal where if you were the original owner on a Trek bike that was totaled in a crash, they'll give you 20% discount on a new one. With our daughter in college and having just started a landscaping project, I went fairly blue-collar on the bike. But at $1200 (even with the discount) is still the most I've ever spent on a bike, so I'm pretty excited. Should be ready next week after getting a proper fit. Looking forward to breaking it in on the Skyline Drive next week. Can't miss Sept / Oct bike season here in Virginia. Just the best!

A couple of other family news items to share: First was that my daughter called last week and said, "I just have to tell someone that will understand - I did a triathlon this morning". She'd been swimming, biking and running this summer and just decided one morning to do a sprint length triathlon on her own. 800 yard pool swim, 12 mile bike and 3 mile run. Just for fun. I think she may be hooked! LOL! And on Saturday, my wife did the Women's 4 miler (our biggest local race). She'd been training for it all summer. Longest run of her life. Anyway, really proud of my girls! They did great!

Stu

Ahh that is really nice Stu....u r inspiring them. I hv a cut on my thumb cant type. ttyl
2013-09-06 7:13 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

How's the technique coming? If I recall correctly, just before all my travels started I saw some pictures of your form which clearly showed why you were struggling so much. I bet it is kind of fun (in a masochistic way) to be making that progress.

Not sure I am the best person to ask about how the technique is coming seeing as how I wouldn't know good technique if it jumped up off the track and bit me on the backside!  In all seriousness though, I think things are improving.  With the help of a Sports Med Clinic we figured out the weird thing my right foot was doing was primarily due to poor flexibility and secondarily over-pronation.  The poor flexibility was a direct result of a prior blood clot in my right leg.  The clinic referred me to a physical therapist and I was given a number of specific strength exercises and stretches.  My medical insurance does not cover custom orthotics so I also invested in a pair of Brook's Beast Stability shoes.  That combination has helped immensely.  I am essentially having to learn how to run again.  When I am fresh and concentrating on my right foot position, it is  straight forward.  However, when I begin to tire, I have a much more difficult time keeping form.  It is getting easier with time and like I said, the stretching and strength work is helping.  I will know I have it when I don't have to think about it any more!

2013-09-08 9:19 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Did a 40 minute OWS today with a brick consisting of a 10 mile bike ride and 5k run on a hard packed sandy beach on a tri course I will be doing in two weeks. Swim and bike went OK but I thought with the speed work I have been doing that my run would have been better. Again getting off the bike my legs felt so heavy they wouldn't move. First mile was like 10:30, second was 10:00 and last mile got a little bit better at 9:30. I even took it a little bit easier on the bike trying to save my legs for the run and obviously that didn't help. I am currently able to consistently run an 8:30 mile for a 5k by it self, do people generally see this much of a drop off after the bike? Maybe I should put the run less run faster training schedule away until after my race and do more brick work. Is there anything I can work on over the next two weeks to help? Any and all help would be appreciated.
2013-09-09 7:32 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Expert

Did a 40 minute OWS today with a brick consisting of a 10 mile bike ride and 5k run on a hard packed sandy beach on a tri course I will be doing in two weeks. Swim and bike went OK but I thought with the speed work I have been doing that my run would have been better. Again getting off the bike my legs felt so heavy they wouldn't move. First mile was like 10:30, second was 10:00 and last mile got a little bit better at 9:30. I even took it a little bit easier on the bike trying to save my legs for the run and obviously that didn't help. I am currently able to consistently run an 8:30 mile for a 5k by it self, do people generally see this much of a drop off after the bike? Maybe I should put the run less run faster training schedule away until after my race and do more brick work. Is there anything I can work on over the next two weeks to help? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Hi James,

Sounds like a great workout!

I typically experience the same issue that you do. My run times usually fall to my "long run" training pace rather than my stand-alone 5K pace. Here are my experiences / thoughts (for me) as to why it happens. And this is based on race results rather than brick training. Hope it helps a bit.

1) It is worse at Olympic distance than Sprint distance which means there's some cumulative effect of the first part of the race on the pace
2) It is worse when it is warm / humid
3) It is worse when I haven't been training as much on the bike and swim
4) If I have a decent level of run training (e.g. enough for a 10K), it doesn't seem to make much difference beyond that. In other words, training for more than a 10K does not make a difference in my run performance off the bike in a tri (at sprint / olympic distance)
5) The mental aspect is extremely important. If I let my mind think I'm beat, I'm beat.
6) (Probably only for me). Back issues flare up on the run, so core strength / flexibility is important.

For me, the run is definitely my weakest link - I'm just not a good runner - it's all work and not pretty. And it is especially exposed on the run in a tri. I've slowly worked my way up to where I'm placing just 10-20% off the swim and bike placings on the run generally by focusing on addressing the above issues, especially things that accumulate over the course of the race.

1) Need to have put in the work on bike and swim for Olympic distance events. Just no substitute for that.
2) Need to make sure my hydration / fuel is okay, especially at Olympic distance and on hot days. Drink / Fuel on the bike.
3) Need to do some brick work for the mental aspect (I'm not convinced that it makes much difference physically, but getting used to fighting through the heavy legs feeling is important).
4) Experience makes a difference. I learn something new every race!

Good luck!
Stu

2013-09-10 8:21 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

Hi James,

Sounds like a great workout!

I typically experience the same issue that you do. My run times usually fall to my "long run" training pace rather than my stand-alone 5K pace.

4) Experience makes a difference. I learn something new every race!

Good luck!
Stu

Thanks Stu! This really helped put things into perspective, just like Scott said with the swimming I have to put in my time. Going to throw some bricks in this week to get a little psychological edge but I don't think I will have an epiphany in two weeks. Just going to have fun with my last tri of the season and use it as incentive for training over the winter. This has been so much fun this year and I am definitely hooked. Thanks again! James
2013-09-12 9:01 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: Transition
Seeing that my last T1 was 4 minutes, anyone have good tips or sites that they could refer me to on how to get faster during transition. The last time my pre-assigned bike space was the farthest away from the exits but that still doesn't add up to 4 minutes. I thought I got my wetsuit off fast but I guess it wasn't as fast as I thought. Started biking and running with no socks so that may help a little. Once again any help would be appreciated.

2013-09-13 8:00 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: new training year

so my race is behind me.....new training routine.

90 days of base endurance training.....LSD.
tired of the elevated HR and that panicky thought "crud...i can't go very long at this HR !"

Consistency Consistency ....Never do 95% during w/o's this next 90 days cuz it tires me out and I hv to take days off.

Still between jobs so S/B/R... repeat. LOL

oh...and weight training. My ex football player son showed me proper dead lift technique. complicated if u hv never done.

Did I mention consistency??

Happy Trails Ya'll

Linda
2013-09-15 10:48 AM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: new training year
Linda thanks for reminding me about the weight training, I really have to get more consistent this upcoming year. I feel like it is the easiest of all my work outs and I like how I feel afterwards but the only way I can fit it in is by doing double workouts in one day and I have been having a hard time trying to fit in one. Right now I have been running 3 days, swimming 3 days and biking two days per week, that's including 1 double on the weekend. I have to get better with my plans so I can to start fitting in the weight training in. It seems impossible to properly train unless you are doing doubles everyday of the week so maybe I just have accept my time limitations and put the weight training in somewhere and just do the best I can.

Good luck on the job search Linda. I do consulting and the job market appears to be very cyclical and seems to pick up after the summer is over. Really put a push on now because once November hits everyone starts thinking about the holidays and it doesn't pick up again until January- February. Hang in there, I have found these lull periods help you gain perspective and I know you will find the best job you have ever had. Once again good luck ans take that triathlete determination to your job search.

2013-09-15 1:21 PM

User image

Regular

Linda thanks for reminding me about the weight training, I really have to get more consistent this upcoming year. I feel like it is the easiest of all my work outs and I like how I feel afterwards but the only way I can fit it in is by doing double workouts in one day and I have been having a hard time trying to fit in one. Right now I have been running 3 days, swimming 3 days and biking two days per week, that's including 1 double on the weekend. I have to get better with my plans so I can to start fitting in the weight training in. It seems impossible to properly train unless you are doing doubles everyday of the week so maybe I just have accept my time limitations and put the weight training in somewhere and just do the best I can.

Good luck on the job search Linda. I do consulting and the job market appears to be very cyclical and seems to pick up after the summer is over. Really put a push on now because once November hits everyone starts thinking about the holidays and it doesn't pick up again until January- February. Hang in there, I have found these lull periods help you gain perspective and I know you will find the best job you have ever had. Once again good luck ans take that triathlete determination to your job search.

Thanks I did not know that about the job market. I am a Licensed Professional Counselor but I am terrible about networking.
I hv great cycling , swimming and running areas within ten miles of my house ...but I NEVER drive into town to network or lunch with old colleagues.
Last year I found other stuff to do in the house when it was time to weight train.
I am thinking I need a trainer for two reason:
1. Someone to be accountable to about my weight training efforts.
2. Someone to blame if I don't do well in a race!

Had great OWS yesterday and found out the Collegiate OWS championships are at Lake Travis in a couple weeks, anyone got a child doing that sport??? didnt know it existed at collegiate level.

2013-09-15 3:18 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
I had a great OWS today. Worked on some of the stroke tips I got from Scott's site. Again, I did better my last half mile where it seems to all come together. I really felt great, I hope it kicks in early for my sprint next week. Going to try and get there early to get a good warm up swim in which may help. Last year I volunteered at this tri and the waves were pretty big, lets hope for a nice calm day.
2013-09-16 2:31 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: OWS h20 conditions

I had a great OWS today. Worked on some of the stroke tips I got from Scott's site. Again, I did better my last half mile where it seems to all come together. I really felt great, I hope it kicks in early for my sprint next week. Going to try and get there early to get a good warm up swim in which may help. Last year I volunteered at this tri and the waves were pretty big, lets hope for a nice calm day.

So with two dozen OWS's under my belt this summer I categorize the conditions as either 1) pretty calm and doable ( is that a word)...2) Beyond my ability.

Scott....are u any help here?

I watched a Youtube video of some chick swimming in San Francisco Bay and she explained some stuff about dealing with rough water. I guess its "work your way up to it" just like anything?

I think the thing I dislike most about rougher water is ...trying to sight..and seeing only the back of a swell or wave and having to re-sight quickly again.
2013-09-16 8:01 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: OWS h20 conditions

Originally posted by dustytrails
Originally posted by JREDFLY I had a great OWS today. Worked on some of the stroke tips I got from Scott's site. Again, I did better my last half mile where it seems to all come together. I really felt great, I hope it kicks in early for my sprint next week. Going to try and get there early to get a good warm up swim in which may help. Last year I volunteered at this tri and the waves were pretty big, lets hope for a nice calm day.
So with two dozen OWS's under my belt this summer I categorize the conditions as either 1) pretty calm and doable ( is that a word)...2) Beyond my ability.

Scott....are u any help here?

I watched a Youtube video of some chick swimming in San Francisco Bay and she explained some stuff about dealing with rough water. I guess its "work your way up to it" just like anything? I think the thing I dislike most about rougher water is ...trying to sight..and seeing only the back of a swell or wave and having to re-sight quickly again.

Not exactly sure what the question is but I think it has to do with rough water during an OWS.  If that isn't it, please forgive me, I am an old man. Laughing

James, your tri this weekend - where is it?  More specifically, where is the swim?  The ocean?  A lake?  A river?  You mentioned waves so that implies ocean, but I have seen waves in lakes and on rivers also.  I am going to base my comments on the ocean, but if you are swimming in some other body of water, the comments will equally apply.  In reality, if you can do it in the ocean, you can do it anywhere.

As you all have likely figured out by now, the "rules" change when you get into open water.  The biggest differences are -

a) you likely won't be able to see the bottom.  Even if you can, there isn't going to be a big line there to help you go in a straight line.

b) you may, strike that, you WILL encounter rough water - swell, wind blown waves, waves at the surf line, current, etc.

c) if there is significant swell (over a foot or so) navigation is going to be VERY DIFFICULT.

Before I address the question specifically, there is one thing I always do in an OWS, especially in rough water.  I like to have an extra pair of goggles around my neck (goggles towards my back to reduce any additional drag).  That way, if my goggles get knocked off in the scrum at the start or by a wave, I have another pair I can quickly put on and my day is not over before it started.  Unless you have designs on completing an OWS in the ocean with no goggles.

The best thing you can do as you prepare for an OWS that may be in exceptionally rough water is to simply accept that it is going to be rough.  You still have a bit of time, so if you haven't been working on bi-lateral breathing (breathing to both sides), this would be a good time to start and get in at least a couple sessions in the pool.  Having the ability to breath to the left or the right allows you to breath to the side that does not have wind and/or waves.  It also may help you to navigate as you can breath to the side the shore is on. You can then sight on the shore to help navigate.

Another thing you can do that I find extremely helpful to navigate in very rough water is to learn to do "water-polo freestyle."  What I mean by that is doing freestyle with your head up.  Yes, you legs are going to drop and you are going to slow down.  BUT - you will be able to see.  If you swim with your head up for a few strokes, the swell will take you to a high point where you can see, get your bearings, put your head back down and swim another 20-30 strokes then repeat.  The alternative is getting woefully off-course and losing time trying to get back to where you are suppose to be.

I learned this one the hard way!  If you have to go through a surf line with significant waves, go under the waves.  Meaning allow them to break over top of you.  If you try to go over them, they will simply throw you back towards the shore and you will spend a tremendous amount of energy going NOWHERE.  That is if you are lucky.  If you are not lucky, you will get tossed around like your inside a washing machine or simply get thrown back up onto the shore like some wayward cartoon character.  Use some common sense here - if the breakers are a foot, then simply step over them and swim through them when you start swimming.  On the other hand, if the waves are larger (3+ feet) then run through them until you are waist deep, then begin to go under them.  It will be significantly faster and you will be in charge instead of the waves being in charge.

Linda made the comment, "I guess its 'work your way up to it just like anything.' "  That is pretty much the way it is, however, being prepared and anticipating conditions will help to mitigate an otherwise bad day.

I will tell a little story, I think I shared this a couple months ago but I am not going to go back and try to find it.

Back in the summer of 1979, I was entered in my third 3-mile rough water swim as part of the annual Seal Beach Rough Water Swim Competition.  The 3-mile swim was from the base of the pier, out 1 1/2 miles around an oil platform and back to the beach at the pier.  At the time our swim team was logging 14-15,000 meters/day, so the three mile swim was nothing more than a warm-up.  Except it was in the ocean, and as they say, "surf was up."  There were 10 foot waves breaking on the beach (Seal Beach normally has 2 foot surf at the pier on a REALLY HEAVY surf day).  More than the surf, the wind was blowing 30+ MPH and there was a 6-8 foot swell out past the surf line.  To add to the intimidation factor, there were occasional waves breaking over the end of the pier - 200 yards off-shore.

My first mistake was that I did not adequately prepare myself for the conditions.  I mean mentally prepare.  I did not think though the ramifications of the extremely rough conditions and plan out how to approach it.

It was a group start, if memory serves there were 300-400 of us, and as we went through the 10-foot surf line on the way out, I took a mouthful of nasty, salty, sandy water.  I choaked and just that fast, I was in a full blown panic attack.  I couldn't stop because I would have been run over by 300 people.  Once I got past the surf line I started doing butterfly because it got me through the swells better and I could breath every stroke.  I struggled the entire morning.  Finally I got to the oil platform and one of the lifeguards that accompanied us on a paddle-board came over, put a fork in me and ended my day.

My point isn't to frighten you.  Rather it is to get you to think about the conditions on the day of the race.  When you get there, look and see what is happening on the swim course and plan accordingly.  Had I done that, I would not have blindly run into 10-foot waves and ruined my day before it even started.

Swimming in open water is no different from swimming in a pool in that you are swimming, nothing more, nothing less.  Being mentally prepared and having a couple tools available (a go-to safety stroke [i.e. - breaststroke, backstroke, etc.], water-polo freestyle, bi-lateral breathing, etc.) will help make an open water swim experience enjoyable instead of regrettable.

Hope that helps a bit.

Good luck!

Edited by k9car363 2013-09-16 8:07 PM
2013-09-17 7:35 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: OWS h20 conditions
Originally posted by k9car363

Swimming in open water is no different from swimming in a pool in that you are swimming, nothing more, nothing less.  Being mentally prepared and having a couple tools available (a go-to safety stroke [i.e. - breaststroke, backstroke, etc.], water-polo freestyle, bi-lateral breathing, etc.) will help make an open water swim experience enjoyable instead of regrettable.

Hope that helps a bit.

Good luck!

Thanks Scott, this really helps. My last race I was disappointed because I went to my safety stroke and you let me know it is OK to do so. All you can do is be prepared and try to do the best you can on that given day. I have been open water swimming at the exact beach where the race will be but of course everytime I go it has been flat as pancake. They are expecting a storm to roll in right about race time so it should be interesting.

Great story Scott, thanks for sharing!

And Thanks Linda for asking Scott for his input!

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-09-18 7:37 AM
2013-09-18 1:04 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Haven't been on much...lots going on.

Labor Day, a friend and I ran a 15k in Ft. Worth. I cannot drink Gatorade. I have always avoided it, but it was a bit humid and about mile 6 felt I needed a little something. Took two swallows of Gatorade and about mile 7 it hit my stomach. I had to struggle to run the remaining 2.3 miles. Ugh! Other than that, it was a great race. Well supported with lots of food afterward.

Just completed my last tri of the season. Rose City Triathlon on 9/14. This is such a good venue. Very well done race. This is my second year. I was waffling on it because I wasn't sure if I wanted to do a sprint after doing 2 Olys. However, I decided to register and I'm glad I did. The other Oly I was planning on racing cancelled out, and since I hadn't been training, the sprint was better for me. The day turned out to be so nice for racing, too. Breezy and not humid!!! Considering I didn't train, my results were the same as last year. Imagine what I could have done if I'd kept training consistantly. My weakest leg is still the bike. I just am not fast enough.

The evening had me going to Denton with my running buddy to do the Electric Zombie Run. What fun! Running in the dark while avoiding zombies. In order to be a survivor, you had to run the 5k in 35 minutes or less. That goal actually makes you fun faster. We were survivors.

So now, the rest of the year will be taken up with more runs and bike rides as the weather cools down.

2013-09-18 9:24 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: Back in the Saddle
Hi Gang:

Sorry I've been AWOL the last couple of weeks. I changed jobs (for the first time in 13 years) and I've been a bit overwhelmed with the schedule change. Overlay that with a minor knee injury requiring PT and it's pretty much consumed my time.

The good news is I'm settling into my new schedule and I'm back training full speed for my final race of the year (Duathlon Nationals) in late October.

Last night was the Tuesday track workout. Here was our workout:

1 mile easy warm up
Drills (high knees, butt kicks, foot scrape, etc,)
12 X 400 with 200 easy recovery
Half mile cool down

We ran the 400's at slightly faster than 5K pace. So for me I want to be +/- 20:00 on the 5K (6:25 mile), so we pretty much ran the 400's at around 1:30 to 1:35 then jogged the 200 recovery. So, for those of you working on a 24 minute 5K you're probably looking at 1:53-1:55 on the 400's.

It was a hard workout for me. Too much beer, too many donuts and not enough speed over the past few weeks. I'll probably enter a 10K this weekend as a speed training workout, so that will be an interesting outing. I haven't done a straight 10K footrace in at least 5 years.

Tri season is pretty much done...but the training lives on. Battle on!

Steve
2013-09-18 10:04 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: Funny - You never know who you might meet!
After my swim today I saw this his guy coming out of the water at 7:00 AM in Boston harbor in a wet suit. I asked if he was going to do the Sprint that I have coming up this Sunday and he said he usually does longer distances. I then said like an Ironman man distance and he said yes with a little smile on his face. I then asked if I was to aspire to do an Ironman which one was his favorite. Again a with little smile on his face, he said he did Kona this year and that was very nice but his favorite one around here was Lake Placid. He said the bike and run course was real hilly which would help you if swimmng wasn't your best event. I then asked how did you do up in Lake Placid and he said he came in 10th overall. I then said to myself holy crap that is really good. He told me his name was Nathan Buttrick and we shook hands. I told him I was a 56 year old newbie and he said that was great and to keep it up. When I got to the office I looked him up and in the Kona Ironman he actually finish 52nd overall. Prettyy impressive and the greatest part about it was he couldn't have been any nicer. Quite an experience, very cool!
2013-09-18 10:08 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Transition
Transition time is "free" time. Any time gained there requires almost no training yet makes you more competitive. I've done 25 sprint and oly distance Triathlons over the last three years and wore socks on the first one...but never since. It really pissed me off to see all those people I beat on the swim running out of T1 with their bikes while I struggled trying to get socks on my wet feet.

I was also schooled of the importance of transitions times last year in a race. There was another guy in my age group who is pretty decent. I beat him on the swim, I beat him on the bike and I tied him on the run...but he won the age group by a few seconds because he beat me in both T1 and T2. Ouch. At that point I really started paying attention to the details of transitions.

So, if you're looking to drop time, it really is worth examining your transition routine....and most likely that means going without socks in sprint and oly distance races.

Steve
2013-09-20 8:32 AM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by lutzman

Transition time is "free" time. Any time gained there requires almost no training yet makes you more competitive. I've done 25 sprint and oly distance Triathlons over the last three years and wore socks on the first one...but never since. It really pissed me off to see all those people I beat on the swim running out of T1 with their bikes while I struggled trying to get socks on my wet feet.

I was also schooled of the importance of transitions times last year in a race. There was another guy in my age group who is pretty decent. I beat him on the swim, I beat him on the bike and I tied him on the run...but he won the age group by a few seconds because he beat me in both T1 and T2. Ouch. At that point I really started paying attention to the details of transitions.

So, if you're looking to drop time, it really is worth examining your transition routine....and most likely that means going without socks in sprint and oly distance races.

Steve

Scott Great story. I am intimidated by pretty much all the Masters swimmers here. They are so accomplished.

OH beaten in transition !!!! Bet u wont let that happen again Steve. Welcome back I was wondering where u were.

A few years ago I "gave up a single point" during a motorcycle competition thinking "its only one point."
Missed podium for that point. Never Again!

Luv2bhealthy , Gatorade sucks. thats too bad about that race. Kinna bike do u hv ? is that the prob.? or maybe the tires...r u running 650's on it?

It is raining here. It hasnt rained since when I first bought my bike last Fall.

James that's cool u met that guy. Thats inspiring. We have multiple Olympic Gold medalists out at our pool. Its pretty neat.
2013-09-22 10:48 AM

I am struggling with getting back into training after 10K race in Kilkenny, Ireland. I have one more sprint triathlon for this season, and then will start maintance with swim and bike, and training for half marathon in March.

One thing that helps me with strength training is crossfit. I find the Crossfit workouts very helpful to build strength - especially core strength. Also, good community that helps build accountability into program without individual coach.

I just bough a Vitamix Blender so am trying to really eat clean and more plant based meals. I need to lose about 14 pounds of excess weight.

2013-09-22 3:27 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: weekend 10K result and weekend training
I ran the local 10K race in my home town yesterday. I haven't pinned on a number for anything but triathlons and marathons for at least 10 years, so I really didn't know what to expect. The day was perfect with temps in the mid-60's and a very light breeze.

It was actually pretty nice to run fresh, not having the run preceded by a swim and a bike race. I finished the 10K at 41:45, 3rd overall. The winner was a local woman I know from the triathlon circuit (she won her age group at the half-iron world championships in Vegas earlier in the month.) Of course, she was way ahead of me, but I felt pretty good about grabbing an overall podium spot at age 57. Go gray!

Today was a 2.5 hour circuit hill training ride on the bike. It's probably my last really hard bike effort as I will start a slow taper now for my Duathlon race that is about a month away. By the end of the workout, I logged about 38 miles and just under 3,000 feet of vertical climbing during the three loops on the course. With some residual fatigue from the race yesterday, I'm pooped. And my wife just informed me that we're heading for the mountains this afternoon for a hike. Yeesch.

Best of all, we bought a hot tub and had it installed and filled on Friday. You know where I'll be this evening. With no more college tuitions to pay for kids, it's amazing how much discretionary cash you can find.

What's on your training plan this week?

Steve

2013-09-23 6:53 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: Knocked 8.5 minutes off my last Tri - Yahoo!
Had a great race yesterday, knocked 8.5 minutes off my last Tri, Very Happy!

Rained pretty heavy while setting up which was a real bummer but skies cleared up at the start of the swim.

Got there early and was able to get a quick run and swim warm-up in. I went to the outside of the Novice group and I guess a lot of other people were thinking the same thing and I immediately got stuck behind a bunch of slow people that couldn't swim. Listen to me the newbie but seriously there were too many to swim around and I can literally remember having to tread water behind them and obseriving that their heads were moving all over the place. I guess I really must be learning to swim, pretty scary huh Scott and thank you, the tips on your site are awesome. Anyway even with the delay I knocked 2 minutes off my swim time and didn't go on my back.

Knocked 1.5 minutes off T1 - No socks and no gloves (dope) this time. Practiced stepping out of my wetsuit whiched helped but I had a hard time getting it over ankle timing device.

Bike and T2 (even with my new elastic slip on laces) was about the same but I knocked 5 minutes off my run which I think was definitely due to Steve's recommendation of the Run Less Run Faster book - Thanks Steve. I learn you have to practice fast if you want to run fast.

Oh - By the way I remembered to put on my perscription glasses this time so the run didn't seem so freiking far away (Ha! Ha!).

Thanks everyone for all your support and help.

2013-09-23 7:43 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Knocked 8.5 minutes off my last Tri - Yahoo!

I guess I really must be learning to swim, pretty scary huh Scott and thank you, the tips on your site are awesome. Anyway even with the delay I knocked 2 minutes off my swim time and didn't go on my back.

Wow!!!  8.5 minutes off PR!  That is spectacular.

Glad the swimming tips helped.  Makes me feel good to know that someone is actually benefiting from them.

Keep up all the great work!  Surely a Kona qualifying attempt can't be far away!?! Smile

2013-09-24 4:25 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Knocked 8.5 minutes off my last Tri - Yahoo!

Had a great race yesterday, knocked 8.5 minutes off my last Tri, Very Happy!

Fabulous! Congrats on a great race. Sounds like you have something strong to build on for next year.

Good to hear you grabbed free time in the transition. The "no socks/gloves" is easily good for one minute of free time...but perhaps a little cold on a rainy day, but that's what a hot post-race shower is for!

Steve
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37