BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-06-01 8:09 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
HOORAY RANDY AND MELISSA!!

SO AWESOME!!!!

ok I decided I can't possibly monitor both wrists at the same time so the forerunner went on ebay this morning and already has an opening bid with 6 days to go.

I played with my new wet suit this morning. Yesterday when I opened the box I thought I had a crisis - I ordered a full suit bu they sent sleeveless. I called them immediately and the best they could do was overnight the correct one on Monday for Tuesday. I told them I NEEDED it for this weekend so they said go ahead and use the one they sent if I can and there will be no penalty for returning it. And you know what? I really like the sleeveless!! I may end up keeping this one! Of course when the one I ordered shows up I will try that one too

That is all for now. I'm off to my big BikeMS even tomorrow. I can't wait for it to be over - it's such a mental drain.

31 second radio promo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0YMOtGWO5E&list=UUTSkcOXCSjAc6fFnfY...

2013-06-01 8:57 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Leave for a few hours and there is great news all around!!!

Randy, so impressed with your AG win. I bet that run wasn't nearly as awful as you think.....great job!

Melissa, WOW, 7th AG in a big race is spectacular.  I can't wait to hear all about it!

Time to get ready to monitor the three boys tomorrow!  Good luck!

2013-06-01 9:21 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Calgary, AB
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Time to get ready to monitor the three boys tomorrow!  

... or as I call it - the real endurance sport.  Smile

2013-06-01 9:58 PM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Champion
Reading this thread and my other old mentor thread makes me feel better about today....it was so, so hard. I think it would have been tough without the wind and the heat...I'm feeling it.
2013-06-02 5:25 AM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Champion

Originally posted by mndymond Reading this thread and my other old mentor thread makes me feel better about today....it was so, so hard. I think it would have been tough without the wind and the heat...I'm feeling it.

I'm sure you're tired, but we want DETAILS!!!!!  Best part? what you did right???  always good to learn from people that have just finished an event.

2013-06-02 5:39 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Great job Melissa. It takes something "extra" both physically and mentally in tough conditions. Get some rest....seems you have so more racing coming up?

They finally posted the splits from yesterday and I guess I feel a little better about my run...or maybe I found a way to rationalize it Run splits for the 5-10 guys that I race with/against frequently were all 1:15-2:00 minutes slower than last year. Its a really tough run course with a steep hill through the first 1/3 mile. I was 22:50 this year and 21:23 last year so I was consistent with the ohers. I suspect it was the heat and the near 100% humidity as we had a couple of short showers just before the race started. Consistent with the slower run was my bike split. Last year my bike was 15th @ 44:34 min/24.4 mph with this year  14th @ 45:41/23.6 mph on 4-5 more watts.  Overall 2012: 580 racers-swim 38th; bike 15th; run 25th. 2013: 590 racers-swim 32nd; bike 14th and run 38th. I'm sure this is not very interesting to anyone but me but just trying to figure out the race and determine if it was me, the conditions or some of both (likely answer)  .

We are headed to the beach today to visit the inlaws. Will check in on our racers via phone as much as possible. Cheer them on and good luck racers!  

2013-06-02 7:44 AM
in reply to: slornow

Good job folks! Nice racing and training volumes. It's gonna be a great season!
2013-06-02 8:05 AM
in reply to: rallen12

User image

Master
South Alabama
Jamie and Nate are out of the water. Nate 37:xx and Jamie 47:xx  Now the race begins...at least for the non swimmer folks like me. Headed to the beach. GO GUYS!
2013-06-02 8:36 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Well done Melissa!! You guys on this group are just amazing. I hope to be able to do similar one day... If that's at all possible
Really want to hear the details of how the day went.

I went out on the bike today and increased my distance another bit (last week was 14 miles, today just short of 20). I'm delighted that I was faster overall and didn't find the hills as tough as last week, I guess I am making progress, despite my lack of belief.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/321633864
2013-06-02 9:24 AM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Calgary, AB

Keep it up Jamie and Nate!   I see Nate has hit the first bike split -- just shy of 20 mph so far.

Also wanted to provide a shout-out to Jason (racing a HM today) and Mary (doing her first tri) -- we can't track you, so you have to keep us posted when done...

Mark -- didn't you say that you were racing yesterday?  We need results man!

Scott.

2013-06-02 9:33 AM

User image

New user
Ok I am done!
That was wicked fun!!

My goal was to finish and not last, check.
I also hoped to jog the entire run part, check.

I am very slow but I did jog the entire time.

I don't know what it is about me and rain, the HM I did recently was all rain and so was most of this tri. It wasn't a downpour during the bike and that was the only part I worried about it for.
By the time I was jogging it was standing puddles, got to the point I just plowed through them instead of trying to go around. Fun stuff!!

I am very pleased to have accomplished this. I was considerably heavier and inactive a year ago and now I am a triathlete!!!

Thanks for all of your support, can't wait until the next one!!!

2013-06-02 9:34 AM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Calgary, AB

Originally posted by tatous I went out on the bike today and increased my distance another bit (last week was 14 miles, today just short of 20). I'm delighted that I was faster overall and didn't find the hills as tough as last week, I guess I am making progress, despite my lack of belief. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/321633864

Tay, I just looked at your ride... holy cow did you ever have a killer hill right at the end!    I often find myself in the same boat -- my house is perched on a hill, so pretty much every direction I go, it's downhill to start, uphill to finish.  Not the order I would pick...

2013-06-02 9:36 AM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Calgary, AB

Originally posted by Chunga Ok I am done! That was wicked fun!! My goal was to finish and not last, check. I also hoped to jog the entire run part, check. I am very slow but I did jog the entire time. I don't know what it is about me and rain, the HM I did recently was all rain and so was most of this tri. It wasn't a downpour during the bike and that was the only part I worried about it for. By the time I was jogging it was standing puddles, got to the point I just plowed through them instead of trying to go around. Fun stuff!! I am very pleased to have accomplished this. I was considerably heavier and inactive a year ago and now I am a triathlete!!! Thanks for all of your support, can't wait until the next one!!!

Feels good doesn't it...  congratulations Mary!  You worked hard to achieve this.  Be proud.

2013-06-02 9:53 AM

User image

Originally posted by Hoos

Tay, I just looked at your ride... holy cow did you ever have a killer hill right at the end!    I often find myself in the same boat -- my house is perched on a hill, so pretty much every direction I go, it's downhill to start, uphill to finish.  Not the order I would pick...

That's the same here, I just keep thinking that it is bound to give me some kind of training advantage. (although I always feel like calling my husband to pick me up when I'm at the bottom of that hills )
2013-06-02 9:55 AM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Originally posted by Chunga

Ok I am done!
That was wicked fun!!

My goal was to finish and not last, check.
I also hoped to jog the entire run part, check.

I am very slow but I did jog the entire time.

I don't know what it is about me and rain, the HM I did recently was all rain and so was most of this tri. It wasn't a downpour during the bike and that was the only part I worried about it for.
By the time I was jogging it was standing puddles, got to the point I just plowed through them instead of trying to go around. Fun stuff!!

I am very pleased to have accomplished this. I was considerably heavier and inactive a year ago and now I am a triathlete!!!

Thanks for all of your support, can't wait until the next one!!!

Well done! AND you had fun... Brilliant!
2013-06-02 10:42 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Originally posted by mndymond Reading this thread and my other old mentor thread makes me feel better about today....it was so, so hard. I think it would have been tough without the wind and the heat...I'm feeling it.

I'm sure you're tired, but we want DETAILS!!!!!  Best part? what you did right???  always good to learn from people that have just finished an event.

I'm working on it!

2013-06-02 11:03 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Mary. Great job! Super happy for you.

Randy. You are just an animal. Keeping the pressure to perform on all of us.

Melissa. It just looked like a hard day all around. Way to stick with it and finish that beast. The winds and heat in Kona can be brutal.

Jamie and Nate. Way to hit it hard. Just like yesterday with Melissa and Randy, we are all rooting for you.

My HM today went well. 1:24:58 for 13.2 by garmin. I was very satisfied with my pacing and overall effort. Only had one person pass me after the second mile. My last 5K was strong and I gobbled up a lot of runners in front of me, including three really fast guys that I have been working to catch over the last couple years. I passed the "guy" from my last HM who has the 76 sub 2:20 marathons. Last race he beat me by about 20 seconds. This one I got him by about a minute. No idea where I finished overall or in my age group but there weren't that many in front of me. Wanted to get home so I didn't wait for the results.
2013-06-02 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Nate is done with the Bike. He finished the bike portion in 3 hours 31 minutes at an average pace of 19.66 mi/h. He is around 5 miles now and ran a 8.21 min/mile so far ... impressive! Keep going Nate!

Jamie is also done with the Bike. He finished the bike portion in 3 hours 48 minutes at an average pace of 18.87 mi/h. There are no run splits for him yet. Keep going strong Jamie!

2013-06-02 12:30 PM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
This is such an impressive group, everybody seems to have had a great weekend. I'm really impressed with the results congrats to everyone. I hope I can keep up with this group.
2013-06-02 1:26 PM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Champion
2013-06-02 2:42 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nate and Jamie are finished and it looks like they both did very well.

Jamie finished off the run in  a solid 2:06 for a 5:58 finish.

Nate had a really strong run @ 1:45 to finish in 5:19.

Can't wait to hear about it. Checked in a few times from the beach and it looks like they both raced smart. Great work guys!

Jason-thats a great HM time. I suspect you are going to have a great HIM in a couple of weeks...maybe a warm up for the 2014 70.3 WC at the same location?

Mary-reading about your experience and entusiasm at the race puts a smile on my face. So much hard work coming to fruition today! 

2013-06-02 3:22 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by wannabefaster Mary. Great job! Super happy for you. Randy. You are just an animal. Keeping the pressure to perform on all of us. Melissa. It just looked like a hard day all around. Way to stick with it and finish that beast. The winds and heat in Kona can be brutal. Jamie and Nate. Way to hit it hard. Just like yesterday with Melissa and Randy, we are all rooting for you. My HM today went well. 1:24:58 for 13.2 by garmin. I was very satisfied with my pacing and overall effort. Only had one person pass me after the second mile. My last 5K was strong and I gobbled up a lot of runners in front of me, including three really fast guys that I have been working to catch over the last couple years. I passed the "guy" from my last HM who has the 76 sub 2:20 marathons. Last race he beat me by about 20 seconds. This one I got him by about a minute. No idea where I finished overall or in my age group but there weren't that many in front of me. Wanted to get home so I didn't wait for the results.

1:24????  Holy Cow.  You're smokin' fast!

2013-06-02 3:41 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by [/p>

1:24????  Holy Cow.  You're smokin' fast!

WHAT SHE SAID!! LOL

Congrats Mary on your first Tri. I'm really so happy for you.

Jame and Nate - impressive for sure

Melissa - Loved your RR. I felt like I was there in the heat and the wind with you! Congrats on your accomplishments. And I love how the other racers congratulated you on your swim. That must have felt awesome!
2013-06-02 5:10 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
*phew* that was tough
2013-06-02 5:22 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Calgary, AB

Originally posted by WoodrowCall *phew* that was tough

LOL,.... And just think... later this summer, that will just be the halfway point Surprised

(I'm probably not helping, I realize that... honest I do...)

Well done.  Sub 6 hours is a real accomplishment.  Now for the 4th event... the race report!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88