BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-07-07 10:16 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
On a beer note, just thought I'd share the weekend purchase. :-)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (3288KB - 3 downloads)
image.jpg (3288KB - 5 downloads)

2014-07-08 8:23 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by badmo77a

Mentor buddies:

4/6 for the month and need some advice.

I was sure I was getting nothing out of the weekend as I was at a three day conference. However with some great family support I got out for 5k on each evening to make the 28\28 a reachable goal.

Today there are serious thunderstorms in the area and lots of rain which ruined my cycle commute (would have got me 2 workouts). I have no trouble of riding or running in the rain but had no way to transport dry clothes for my day at work. So now I am staring down the barrel of running a 4th day in a row.

My legs have seriously complained about running 3 days in a row. With km times reducing by about 10 seconds each day. I have never before tried daily running and I am getting all sorts of calf twinges. Hopefully the feeling of my legs adjusting and improving.

Anything I should be doing? I have been stretching but probably not enough. Might give the roller a go tonight. Do I need to just ride through the period of adjustment?

Adrian, the 28/28 challenge is to motivate people to resist inertia, get off their , and get out the door. You have been doing battle to get workouts in.. It's not your fault it rained today.. Plus - your body is telling you it's tired. So feel free to take the day off.

If you decide to soldier on - be sure to roll and ice. You are a machine!

I had a go on the wii fit instead. Even though the workouts on the device are low impact the mixture of yoga, balance exercises and games provided a good half an hour of work. I think I benefited last year from doing the balance based games on the Wii in the form of better running form. So I resurrected it last night and had some fun on the simulated ski run and obstacle course.

My wife has the car for taking the kids to swim lessons this week and so I am on my bike for work commuting for the rest of the week. So no dead days hopefully this week.
2014-07-08 10:00 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by Qua17 Quick question for the group - I am really struggling to drink enough water on my long rides and runs. Our place up in MI is about 15 miles outside of time and the places where I am running and biking don't have a convenience store on every corner. Plus, I only have two bottle racks on my bike. When you combine these factors with the fact that I sweat about 45 oz per hour, I am getting dehydrated way too frequently. With money being tight - does anyone in the group have any ideas about how I could bring more water along on my rides/runs? I could slip another bottle in my bike shirt - but that only buys me another half hour and doesn't work on the run. I was thinking of getting a hydration back pack - but they are kind of expensive. I basically have 4 more weeks of training and then the problem solves itself. Thoughts?

This will not help you on the run, but the easiest way to add a bottle cage to your bike is to zip tie one under your saddle.  With a cheap bottle cage this should be less than $5.  If you are on a TT bike you could also zip tie one in between your aero bars.

Random picture form the internet.

2014-07-08 5:30 PM

User image

, Vermont
Love this!!! Very nice!
2014-07-08 5:42 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
5/28 with a swim/run brick today. (stunk having to take 4 days off but sometimes you just have to if you're going to mend and come back strong I guess)

only a 1/2 hour in the pool at o'dark thirty so 1600 yds was it with a 4.3 mile run as soon as I got home at 9:00 min/mile pace. (got it all in before the kids woke up!) Slowly coming out of the fog of the chest thing - still coughing after a good workout but it's all good, I'm on the mend.

i did manage to down a couple Saranac Pale Ales while at the lakehouse so all was not lost!

(Saranac Pale Ale.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Saranac Pale Ale.jpg (612KB - 3 downloads)
2014-07-08 9:21 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sandishr

Sandi - It looks cool but what exactly is it? Is it a table? A beer fridge? Whatever it is - I want one.

2014-07-08 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
OK - I'm really tired! Did a hill workout today that went right into a brick. It was a good ride and run. I'm just running out of steam. Going to bed. 40 days.

2014-07-09 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17 OK - I'm really tired! Did a hill workout today that went right into a brick. It was a good ride and run. I'm just running out of steam. Going to bed. 40 days.
Nice job! You are on the homestretch! Hard work now=enjoying the race more later!

2014-07-09 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by sandishr On a beer note, just thought I'd share the weekend purchase. :-)
Sandi - It looks cool but what exactly is it? Is it a table? A beer fridge? Whatever it is - I want one.
I am going with cooler...look good on my back deck!!

2014-07-09 8:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by aviatrix802 5/28 with a swim/run brick today. (stunk having to take 4 days off but sometimes you just have to if you're going to mend and come back strong I guess) only a 1/2 hour in the pool at o'dark thirty so 1600 yds was it with a 4.3 mile run as soon as I got home at 9:00 min/mile pace. (got it all in before the kids woke up!) Slowly coming out of the fog of the chest thing - still coughing after a good workout but it's all good, I'm on the mend. i did manage to down a couple Saranac Pale Ales while at the lakehouse so all was not lost!
Good to see you making a comeback...beer is the most underused medicine around!

2014-07-09 8:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Looking like it is going to be a hot one for my race Sunday. High of 93. I am going to ditch the wetsuit for the race. Water should be warm enough. Be nice to rip through transition and not worry about strip off the sausage casing!

2014-07-09 8:52 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Originally posted by sandishr

Its wrong to covet your neighbors beer cooler. Isn't it?
2014-07-09 10:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
6/28 with a bike ride. Hit construction and had to stop a couple of times, also an exposed dirt/gravel patch (thankful no tire blowout), and probably one of the stronger headwinds on the way back - all good challenges. Time crunched to an hour to pick kids up from swim team but i got back in about 1:03 with all the stopping for a 17 mile ride. So happy I got it in!! I get one hour from 8-9 three mornings a week to fit a run or bike in with hubby traveling. Gotta make it count!
Best,
Jenn

Edited by aviatrix802 2014-07-09 10:05 AM
2014-07-09 5:23 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

6/28 with a bike ride. Hit construction and had to stop a couple of times, also an exposed dirt/gravel patch (thankful no tire blowout), and probably one of the stronger headwinds on the way back - all good challenges. Time crunched to an hour to pick kids up from swim team but i got back in about 1:03 with all the stopping for a 17 mile ride. So happy I got it in!! I get one hour from 8-9 three mornings a week to fit a run or bike in with hubby traveling. Gotta make it count!
Best,
Jenn

Jenn - I'm getting faster - but 17 mph is still beyond me! Awesome ride. Next time - make the kids wait - they can work on your mother's day card for next year!
2014-07-09 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
Did a swim today. My schedule called for a 45 minute swim but I decided to stretch it so I could swim across the lake and back (at it's narrowest point). Glad I did. Despite running into some massive forests of seaweed (totally freaked me out), I did something I had never do before. That's the thing with IM training (and triathlon training in general) - you are always changing the notion of what you can accomplish. 13 mile run tomorrow.

I had a two hearted ale (my last good beer) in the fridge. All I've got left for the next 9 days is Bud and PBR. Triathlon is expensive.

2014-07-09 8:52 PM

Bismarck, ND
I am WAY behind on my training!! I am getting so frustrated that I haven't been able to get the workouts in. I have even considered not doing my race in August. I haven't registered for it yet. I know I can do the distance. I did a sprint in June with a lot less training. But, I put so much pressure on myself. I feel like if I don't get a great time (for me) then the summer was a waste.

I also received my new saddle today. I bought a Cobb V-flow. Put it on the bike this evening. Took it around the block hoping it would be awesome and it still hurt. Actually, in some spots it hurt worse. Hoping I just need to "break it in". Suppose to do a short brick tomorrow. Will see how it goes.

2014-07-09 9:02 PM

User image

, Vermont
Oh my gosh, I love that, Dave. hahaha I will do that!!
2014-07-09 9:04 PM
in reply to: brreems

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by brreems I am WAY behind on my training!! I am getting so frustrated that I haven't been able to get the workouts in. I have even considered not doing my race in August. I haven't registered for it yet. I know I can do the distance. I did a sprint in June with a lot less training. But, I put so much pressure on myself. I feel like if I don't get a great time (for me) then the summer was a waste. I also received my new saddle today. I bought a Cobb V-flow. Put it on the bike this evening. Took it around the block hoping it would be awesome and it still hurt. Actually, in some spots it hurt worse. Hoping I just need to "break it in". Suppose to do a short brick tomorrow. Will see how it goes.

Have you been fitted on your bike? it could be something as simple as the angle or where it is. What distance are you doing in August?

a warm coors lite might be in order for you....

2014-07-09 9:05 PM

User image

, Vermont
Great swim, Dave!!! That's fantastic!! You have made me feel better - I am glad I am not the only one uncomfortable with seaweed forests!!
2014-07-09 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17 Did a swim today. My schedule called for a 45 minute swim but I decided to stretch it so I could swim across the lake and back (at it's narrowest point). Glad I did. Despite running into some massive forests of seaweed (totally freaked me out), I did something I had never do before. That's the thing with IM training (and triathlon training in general) - you are always changing the notion of what you can accomplish. 13 mile run tomorrow. I had a two hearted ale (my last good beer) in the fridge. All I've got left for the next 9 days is Bud and PBR. Triathlon is expensive.

you can always add cherries to your PBR...or old cigarette butts, or mold from your cheese.... 

That is the great thing about tri training(especially with yours) pretty much any cold beer will do, at least the first two...

Geat job on your training David!

2014-07-09 9:29 PM

User image

, Vermont
Thanks for the boost, Dave, I don't feel fast! A couple of my friends race and are pretty fast - one is one of the strongest cyclists in the northeast. This is my first year on a road bike (probably 10 rides - maybe less - under my belt - all under 30 miles) and I constantly ask them how to go faster. Just keep riding! I was hoping to try a time trial race tomorrow night for the fun of it (I won't be competitive but what the heck, why not), but the youngest has his first swim race and the older one has a birthday party to go to so I'll be running kids around. All good things to those who wait!

I look forward to hearing about your race in....40 days? Heck, my first sprint is in 2 1/2 weeks and I'm a wreck - so motivated by what you're doing and hoping maybe I can do a HIM someday. Baby steps. You're a mentor for a reason.

Cheers. Its sounds like I need to send you some libation.

Cheers!

2014-07-09 10:34 PM
in reply to: thor67

Bismarck, ND
I had the bike fitted before the new saddle. I just placed the saddle according to the websites recommendation. I am going to actually take it out tomorrow and see how it feels over a longer distance with bike shorts on. Then I will try some tweaking.

I registered for my race. Since, I waited so long, it was $96. So, I am doing it!!!
2014-07-10 5:59 AM
in reply to: brreems

User image

it was a long holiday week, but I only missed 1 workout after spending 16 hrs on my feet for the 4th (at work) then having a long stand off the next day. On a plus I made the local news hahaha My daughter and I are both racing on Saturday then I am racing again on Sunday. Should be fun but tough. I'm at 7/28
2014-07-10 8:26 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Managed to squeeze a 1 hour run in this morning.  Life and weather seem to keep getting in the way of my training and it's really starting to upset me.  I need to get better about scheduling in advance and checking the forecast!

2014-07-10 8:42 AM
in reply to: podemma

User image

Hitting the training hard in the next 4 weeks, the last push to IM Tremblant. I've built a solid base in the swim and bike so I'm going to focus on the run in the next few weeks. Will be doing mostly easy long runs leading up to the race and some top-end work on the bike to try and push out a few more km/h on race day. I've started racing in my local cycling club's weekly criterium races in order to work on VO2 and threshold. 

Anyone following Le Tour? It consumes most of my time which should be spent on my research paper. It's one of the most exciting tours I've seen in years.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51178 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19871 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.