Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-08-03 9:03 PM
in reply to: #912845

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Subject: RE: Rich's New Ride
NICE RIDE!!  Wow, that's a pretty bike.  I bet you can't wait to get out and take it for a ride.  You'll have to let us know what you decide to name her!  Congratulations!

2007-08-06 8:04 AM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Veteran
Miami
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
guys!
we had soo much fun yesterday!! man, the happiest thing was that Felipe actually enjoyed the bike ride, that makes me sooo excited since now I'm sure I can drag him to the long bike rides i like!!!! OMG! I was forgetting, so we are getting our transition zone ready, when we realize Felipes front tire is FLAT... we are both freaking out( we've never changed a tire, Felipe has seen it on the internet, I haven't even bothered...I've never had to change a flat tire on any of my cars(11 years), so i figured... naaa... it won't happen with my bike!) well so we say, lets do it, we ahve an hour before race starts....talk about complicated....dammn! So we do everything, and we can't seem to put the tire back in...well some guy saw our restlessness and offered to help( surely he's an experienced biker) we tried doing it for maybe like 5 minutes, this guy came over and it took him 2 seconds~!!!! SO, we learned our lesson well... now I'm prepared to change a tire!! hahahah

The bike course was a bit harder since it was 13 miles and there were olympic distance people, so it was hard to pass.. you need to read my full race report to see the details... SUper fun race. Although now we are a bit scared of the Olympic distance race in September, those people doing the Olympic distance race yesterday looked like they were IN SOME SERIOUS PAIN!!! I did a lot of cheering!!!!

We did better than we expected I believe! Felipe came in 3rd place in his age group overall 26 male, and I came in 1st and 6th overall female, so I am quite ecstatic about our results!! I realized I really enjoy the run at the end!!

How was everyone's weekend training!!??
2007-08-06 10:41 AM

User image

Regular
Hey Guys!!

Oh yes, yesterday was a very fun day. Actually even though I ran into some bumps I enjoyed the race even more than last time.

As Caro said, it was very annoying having to change that tire, i had seen a video on youtube but they made it look so easy!! but no! that thing was hard, we felt like idiots. And on top of that I was feeling crancky because of my cold and the frustration of not being able to get that freakin' thing in hahahahaha! but thanks to Hector (I think that was his name) we now learned a lesson.

Anyways, now to the good stuff. The race was great, even better organized than our last one, we got to the place where the swim would start and even before we could even touch the water, they called my group so I had to go an line up. As we started I did a stroke or two and then I felt someone grab my leg and he took a souvenir with him, My Chip!!! I didn't even bother to try to find it, but I must admit I was a bit upset. But I just told myself, screw that I'll just time myself with the watch. Beside that little mishap, the swim went pretty well I was pretty much in the middle of the pack so I was happy with that.

The transition of the bike was alright, I know I can do it faster. And then the 13mile portion of the biek was my favorite, although it had been a while since I had riden a bike I felt much more comfortable and felt I was going at a decent pace.

So as I got to the transition from the bike, one of the organizer was yelling, we got your chip! we got your chip! So I was extremely happy!! Then, the transition was pretty bad, I started off by putting on my shirt backwards and then I almost went out with my helmet on, which would have been a funny thing to see. Then the run didn't go as I though it would, my legs felt very tight possibly from the bike and my left quad muscle was bothering me a bit and still is.

So, I forgot to take splits with my watch so I just have a full time, although I have estimated my times as follows: Swim: 8:30 Trans 1:3:00 Bike: 42:00 Trans 2:1:30 Run: 21:23. Total time 1:15:49. The time is official but the other stuff is just my guess, so it may not add up correctly.

Anyways, I had a blast, I loved every bit of the race and can't wait till the next one.

Caro, did amazing!!! I think she kicked my but on the bike, I need to start ttraining with her.

Hope you guys had a good weekend.

FR

Edited by feliperubio 2007-08-06 11:00 AM
2007-08-06 4:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Caru and Felipe Rocked!
Hey gang!

I just arrived back from a four day Beach Party! (Only in California, right?!?!)

CARU and Felipe! Outstanding jobs on your tri this weekend! And on the podium! KUDOS! That is HUGE!

You guys are rockin in Miami!

Rich
2007-08-07 7:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
CARU and FELIPE -- Congratulations on a great race! Glad to hear you had so much fun and did so well.

I was away out at my Dad's farm with my 3 nieces -- so out of touch for several days.

RICH -- I am incorporating some of your advise about time mgt, etc., and scaling down the amount of things I am involved in. Sticking with things that are a priority. It seems to be helping already. Thanks!!!

My final race of the season is THIS SUNDAY. A friend will likely drop out because of injury -- but my brother is still in and I hope we both have great races.

Ramping up the training this week -- despite the heat wave -- determined to win the RUN / SWIM challenge!!! (Yes, Rich, I will be careful and wear my hydration belt.)

Oh yeah -- COOL NEW BIKE, RICH!!! THAT ROCKS!
2007-08-07 12:29 PM
in reply to: #915990

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Christine wrote: I am incorporating some of your advise about time mgt, etc., and scaling down the amount of things I am involved in. Sticking with things that are a priority. It seems to be helping already.

GREAT JOB, Christine! I think you will see some positive results in balancing everything! Please don't hesitate to ask additional questions or clarifications questions.

Christine wrote: My final race of the season is THIS SUNDAY. A friend will likely drop out because of injury -- but my brother is still in and I hope we both have great races.

Best of Luck on your race......go get em!

Rich

2007-08-07 1:42 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Rich, I had my first tri swim lesson last night and I wasn't impressed.  First, my instructor is an 18 year old boy who has NEVER competed in a triathlon.  Second, other than helping me define my stroke, he wasn't able to offer any drills, etc. for me to do.  This class was adverised for triathletes.  I'm not sure what to do.  The instructor (boy) (I could be his mother!) says my body form and breathing are okay, but my arm strokes are not wide enough.  I cross my arms in front before pulling down and back.  Does that make sense?  Anyways, I need/want advice from someone who has at least completed a triathlon.  Am I asking for too much?!  HELP!  I'm going to continue with the class, if nothing else, just to keep me in the pool for 45 minutes 2x a week.

I'll take suggestions from anyone...

Christine, how are you feeling about your season being almost finished?  Are you going to begin training for anything else...a marathon?

Great Job Caru and Felipe!  Rock on, Dude and Dudette!

2007-08-07 6:28 PM
in reply to: #916715

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Howdy.....Angela!

First, I would stick it out. The advice that the (young) instructor provided will be helpful....ask him for swim drills.....explain to him your experience in training and that you need basics including drills you can use that will focus on a specific aspect of your swim stroke.

Second, I would hook up with a tri-club. I provided to links. The first is a link to the USAT list of clubs including Texas. The second link is to "TriCowtown Triathlon Club". They look pretty organized. You can perhaps get more experienced members to take you under their wing and help you with your swimming. They may also have a swim lesson program or a "Masters' Swimming Program" associated with them. I noticed they have a swim clinic on 8/11.

http://rankings.usatriathlon.org/Clubs_Regions/clubs_find.htm

http://www.tricowtown.com/

I will also look up to see what swim drills I have that are printed out that might help you in a progression of exercises.

Hope this helps!

Rich
2007-08-08 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Angela asked: How are you feeling about your season being almost finished? Are you going to begin training for anything else...a marathon?

I plan to keep training hard through the end of August (to win the girls vs. boys swim/run challenge) and then I am looking forward to getting on my bike more and helping more with the renovations to our Ridge Road property.

Keeping my schedule as simple as possible for the rest of the year is my goal.

By the beginning of September, it starts to cool off here in Eastern PA. So running and riding become more pleasant -- but the days are getting shorter and I am in the office every weekday until at least 4:30. So riding after work gets harder to do.

I only have 1 more event schedule for 2007 -- the Covered Bridges charity ride in October.

By November, I will be starting to plan my schedule for next year. :-)
2007-08-08 5:24 PM
in reply to: #916715

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Angela!

Been looking around to see what swimming support we could find for you! Couple of items:

Check out PlayTri using the following URL: http://www.playtri.com/index.php Looks like they have an open water swim clinic on Saturday.

Here is the URL to the entire PlayTri website: http://www.playtri.com/events.php

Also see if you can't get a hold of JeepFleeb! He is in the Ft. Worth Texas area. He might be a good resource for local workouts!

If you haven't found the Texas threads, check this URL out:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?...

Hope this helps!

Rich

2007-08-08 9:51 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Rich, thank you so much for your help.  I've checked out some of the websites for clinics.  I have a conflict with the one this weekend.  The guy from Texas I see on the trails alot when I ride/run.  I just need to ask around more.  I thought the Y would be a good start, but it turns out that the lessons were cancelled because of low enrollment.  I was the only one signed up for the tri-swim lessons.  I'm back to square one.  BUT, I have a friend who teaches swim lessons and does triathlons.  She said she would help me out.  I also have been reading TI (total immersion) and my husband said he will help monitor me on the first few lessons.  I'll figure it out.  I so appreciate your dedication to helping me! 

My training is coming along okay.  I've been working out consistently, but my eating habits stink right now!  I'm into beer, wine and brownies!  I can tell I'm not eating well because my bike rides and runs have been sluggish.  I'm ready to change my ways...I need energy, not hangovers!    (just kidding)

Happy Training fellow triathletes!

Ang

2007-08-09 7:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Angela, By now we have all waivered a bit in our eating habits or our training -- the important thing is to get back on track as quickly as possible.

I lost 7 lbs and no more because I am not being as strict with what I am eating as I need to be for weight loss. Simple fact of life. As I am back to healthy eating habits and the level of strictness that I need for weight loss, it's no magic that weight loss will happen.

Eat well and you will get better results. Maybe you can get more hooked on that then the sugar high of brownies?!? My experience has been that one of those is okay -- or a meal where you eat, say pizza, is okay. But if you continue to eat that way, that's when you start to pay.
2007-08-09 8:38 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

I've actually lost about 8 lbs in the last few months.  I totally agree that my food intake is a huge part of it.  I've been really good about eating healthy that I figure a little indulgence won't hurt me (too much!)  By training consistently, my body can tell when I've fueled well or have eaten pizza, brownies and beer!  I just find this whole training, eating well, etc. process so amazing.  It really works...slowly, but works.  Even with hypothyroidism, I'm able to lose weight.  Our bodies are truly amazing vessels!

Keep up the great work everyone! 

2007-08-09 11:05 AM

User image

Regular
Hey guys, good job on your trianing!!

I have a question, has any of you guys tried jumping on the bike with the shoes already clipped on and then getting into them?? I see a bunch of people doing it but I don't kno how the heck they can do it, what is the trick, I tried practicing the other day and it was very hard.

Oh, and I almost forgot...ladies, hows that bikini shopping coming along??

FR
2007-08-09 11:07 AM
in reply to: #919366

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Ang!

The key thing that you hit upon is "slowly". There is actually a higher success rate of keeping off the weight you loose if you loose it slowly. You are making adjustments to your overall body composition. When you loose fast, you are usually changing only one component of your body composition.....fat.....when you loose slowly, you are increasing lean body mass which improves the metabolism. More lean muscle means you can use and call upon more glycogen or energy.

Bottomline: It is a good thing you are loosing slowly and 8 lbs in the last 8 to 9 weeks is GREAT!

Rich
2007-08-09 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Oh no! It's you and Rich that better be getting your Speedo photos together...

2007-08-09 7:30 PM
in reply to: #919710

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Felipe!

Practice does make perfect, however, you need some steel protection around the privates when learning how to do jump on to the bike with the shoes attached to the pedals.

Honestly, leave it for the pros.....it looks cool, but you don't save a GREAT amount of time and the chances of crashing are increased while futzying around with getting the feet in the shoes and then strapping the shoes in!

But, if you must:

1) Affix the shoes to the pedals......
2) While moving forward, straddle jump onto the bike placing your feet on top of the shoes
3) Work one foot in first shoe
4) Work other foot in to the other shoe
5) Fasten the top of the first shoe securely with the shoe strap
6) Fasten the top of the second shoe securely with the shoe strap
7) Pedal Fast!

In lieu of steps 3 and 4, some racers are able to slide their feet right into the shoe by making sure that the shoe is "fluffed" or open as far as possible.

Practice this slowly and don't attempt it in a race until you have totally mastered this skill.

I would make sure that what ever you do, follow this concept.....slow is smooth, smooth is faster. Use that as a mantra...."Slow is smooth, smooth is faster". Not sure the originator of that phrase, but Coach Strauss (Crucible Fitness) uses it frequently.

Hope this helps answer your question.......PLEASE be careful if you practice this "short cut"

Rich

2007-08-09 8:31 PM

User image

Regular
Thanks Rich, I think you're right, better leave that for the pro's. I think it is too much of a risk to try that and the fall on your face and look like a fool. I think I'll spare those extra 5 seconds putting my shoes on.

Rich, I have taken the liberty of giving your e-mail to my brother, he has some questions he wants to ask you. Hope it's ok. Good luck on your swim tomorrow.

FR

2007-08-09 9:09 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Wow, I've gotten so caught up in this men vs. women challenge, I think I've neglected this group a little bit, so I'm just checking in! Glad you are all doing well. Felipe, I think it's wise that you save the five seconds. I know if I were a guy, I'd probably have to be wearing a cup before I attempt that move for fear of being chonged!

Rich, good luck in your swim tomorrow.

Gals, well, I don't have to say a thing. We all are focused on what we need to do, so we can focus on other things (like men in speedos) next month!

As for me, first of all, I'm not doing that sprint tri this weekend with the MSU Tri team. I am just too busy.

As far as health, I have decided to take a competely preventative approach to my long-term health here. As you know, I've been going to the chiropracter, which is something that is a great help. And you know about my visit to the physical therapist, right? (I can't remember what I wrote and now I don't want to look back to try and find it.) In a nutshell, the reason why I was getting my inside shin splint is due to weak front and side muscles of the hip. That in turn causes my knees to cave inward slightly, and my ankles have to work harder to compensate. When I run, they work 10% harder than they should, which is why I have been having this issue...who woulda thunk it.

So I got a prescription from my general doctor to get treated with physical therapy for this, so I could learn how to prevent this problem moving forward. Though as of today my shin splint is almost gone again, I'll be visiting with a PT for the next 3 weeks, 3 times a week.

Good thing, too, because my shoulder is out of whack again, and this time, I don't think the chiropractor was able to put it back in all the way (or if he did, I'm still in some discomfort). This doesn't really affect my swimming after I get past a good warmup of 500 yards or so, but it makes for a nuscance during the daytime.

Will this all affect my training? Probably...for the better. I feel pretty high maintenance right now, but I look at it this way. An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure (and years more enjoyment doing triathlons!!!)

I plan to wake up a bit early and get in a run tomorrow morning. My team practice is Saturday again, and it's close to my house so that's nice. Saturday afternoon, we have our Team in Training picnic which will be fun...my husband and kids will get to meet the rest of the insane folks like myself

I have my first sprint tri on August 26, and I found out that I WILL have my Team in Training wetsuit for it (I don't own a tri wetsuit otherwise). So I'm happy about that!

Ok, that's it for me. I'll check in again sometime soon.
2007-08-10 1:08 AM
in reply to: #920476

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
feliperubio - 2007-08-09 8:31 PM

Thanks Rich, I think you're right, better leave that for the pro's. I think it is too much of a risk to try that and the fall on your face and look like a fool. I think I'll spare those extra 5 seconds putting my shoes on.

Rich, I have taken the liberty of giving your e-mail to my brother, he has some questions he wants to ask you. Hope it's ok. Good luck on your swim tomorrow.

FR

Evening Felipe! Good choice on not taking the risk....I've seen ranked amateurs putting their shoes on the ole fashion way and are in and out of the transitions lickity split. So again, smart choice!

Not a prob about giving your e-mail to your brother for questons.

Thanks about the swim.....I think I'm growing gills!

Rich
2007-08-10 1:20 AM
in reply to: #920505

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hi Andi! Thanks for the "good luck" on the swim! As I told Felipe, I think I'm growing gills!

With your focus on men in speedos, too bad you won't be seeing Felipe and myself in speedos.......LOL! :p

Sorry that you won't be doing the tri with the MSU team....but, you are being very prudent in managing your health issues. Please be careful and don't start running too heavily given your shins. They need time to repair and time to be fixed/adjusted. You may ask your therapists for warm-up exercises that you should do before you run.

Glad to hear your wetsuit will arrive in time for your event. You will be surprised how it affects (in a positive way) your swim.

Keep it up Andi! You're doing a GREAT Job!

Rich

2007-08-10 7:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Andy -- I've been there. In the "high maintenance" category. You won't be there forever. And you are right -- these things will help improve you in the end. Be patient with yourself. No need to rush. Chances are you have decades to work on this if you want to. :-)

Funny. I still remember exercises with a band for my shoulder (old Taekwon Do injury) whenever pain flares up. But it's been a long time since it's bothered me. I think I've worked past it. Of course, if I suddenly sat on the couch for 3 months, I'd probably be back to square 2!
2007-08-10 8:55 AM
in reply to: #920742

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hello everyone! Sorry that I haven't written much lately.  August is always the craziest month of the year.  It's my busiest client time, and I'm getting kids ready for school, and my youngest had a birthday this week.  On top of all of that, my hubby injured his knee this week, too, so he's hobbling around on crutches and needing some extra help these days.  It's too early to tell exactly how much damage he's done - we have an appointment with an orthopedist on Tuesday to find out.  Sigh....school is coming soon and that will mean more free time for me to get things done!

I think it's an absolute blast that everyone's so psyched up about this boys/girls challenge.  So much fun. It's definitely keeping me focused on my training in the midst of a wild month.  I'm well on my way to reaching my goals - already 50% of my swim goals completed and with a 5.5 mile run this morning, I'm in excellent shape on my running goals as well.  Rich and Felipe, there's no hope for you - you might as well just admit it. The girls will be winning.  Can I request red speedos from you two?

OK, gotta get back after it.  Keep up the fantastic work everyone!

2007-08-10 11:46 AM
in reply to: #920838

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hang in there Katz! I find that the workouts help put things into perspective and help me really clear my brain.......reduces the stress....

As far as red speedos? Do they make those? Of course, I'm not really going to have to worry about the color of speedos seeing it won't be my picture on display in September! LOL!

Rich
2007-08-10 5:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Plans for this weekend:?
Who's doing what this weekend?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46