BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2008-04-29 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1090141

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-April 26-TERP VS. BF!!!
We have some "wicked smaht" people on our thread (as they say in Boston).

2008-04-29 3:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Portland

I just caught up on a couple days of the thread, it's fun to hear what everyone else is up to! I'll play too, since what I am up to is changing every day :-) I have been the Program Director for a non-profit international adoption agency for the past 2.5 years and actually just stopped doing that about a month ago now, in order to study for the GREs and do some grad school decision making (I took the LSATs and was all ready to go to law school, but with a nonprofit background and underlying desire to keep doing community-oriented work the debt load out of law school might be a bad route to go...). My boyfriend just graduated from architecture grad school this winter and we've been checking out cities we might want to live in. We decided this week that Portland, OR is the place we're headed. So now we're trying to figure out final details of that and have a 2 week trip to Glacier Nat'l Park to do some backpacking planned either right before or after the move.

So I am sort of doing nothing at the moment I guess- which I HIGHLY recommend as a great reality check for anyone who can swing it. I worked through college and went straight to a full time job and then another one and am now having the time to think about what I want to do next (and learn math- Sesh- I HATE numbers, want to come take the gre's for me? :-) ) and it looks like I'll probably do a public policy masters with a focus on public health rather than law school. But I suppose that could change :-)

2008-04-29 3:40 PM
in reply to: #1370330

User image

DC
kerryleigh5 - 2008-04-29 4:37 PM

I just caught up on a couple days of the thread, it's fun to hear what everyone else is up to! I'll play too, since what I am up to is changing every day :-) I have been the Program Director for a non-profit international adoption agency for the past 2.5 years and actually just stopped doing that about a month ago now, in order to study for the GREs and do some grad school decision making (I took the LSATs and was all ready to go to law school, but with a nonprofit background and underlying desire to keep doing community-oriented work the debt load out of law school might be a bad route to go...). My boyfriend just graduated from architecture grad school this winter and we've been checking out cities we might want to live in. We decided this week that Portland, OR is the place we're headed. So now we're trying to figure out final details of that and have a 2 week trip to Glacier Nat'l Park to do some backpacking planned either right before or after the move.

So I am sort of doing nothing at the moment I guess- which I HIGHLY recommend as a great reality check for anyone who can swing it. I worked through college and went straight to a full time job and then another one and am now having the time to think about what I want to do next (and learn math- Sesh- I HATE numbers, want to come take the gre's for me? :-) ) and it looks like I'll probably do a public policy masters with a focus on public health rather than law school. But I suppose that could change :-)

Portland is SO amazing. I went just a month ago for spring break to check out Lewis & Clark law school. You'll love it. The city is one of the most bike-friendly places in the world, and the brewpubs are fantastic. Check out Bridgeport Ales (locations around Portland) and Rogue Brewery (which is farther south down the coast of Oregon). We bought a copy of Let's Go Pacific Northwest and based pretty much everything we did off its recommendations and had a blast.
2008-04-29 3:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Portland
That's funny L&C is at the very top of my law school list, if I go that route, which it's looking less and less likely. We LOVE the bike aspect of portland. We live in LA now and are definitely in a serious biker minority, so we're looking forward to the bike/public transportation options there. And the beer options :-) (people don't drink beer in LA either)
2008-04-30 9:45 PM
in reply to: #1370391

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
kerryleigh5 - 2008-04-29 1:55 PM

That's funny L&C is at the very top of my law school list, if I go that route, which it's looking less and less likely. We LOVE the bike aspect of portland. We live in LA now and are definitely in a serious biker minority, so we're looking forward to the bike/public transportation options there. And the beer options :-) (people don't drink beer in LA either)

LA folks are WAY to skinny to drink beer! I am going to have an Alaskan summer beer right now in honor of your future backpacking trip in Glacier and the prospect of you and Grace going to the same law school!
2008-05-01 7:50 AM
in reply to: #1370391

User image

Regular
kerryleigh5 - 2008-04-29 4:55 PM

(people don't drink beer in LA either)

That would make it uninhabitable for me. Like Mars or maybe Mercury or someplace.

Edited by pshorty 2008-05-01 7:51 AM

2008-05-01 7:56 AM

User image

Regular
Last night I ran past a Hillary Clinton rally. Barack Obama was here a few days ago. Bill and Chelsea Clinton have been here as well. Today I think we get Madeline Albright ([hearts] Clinton) and Caroline Kennedy ([hearts] Obama).

Everyone is totally in love with Indiana right now and wants to have like 10 million of Indiana's babies (until our May 6th primary at least).
2008-05-01 6:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Portland

I am in PA at the moment and I think there is a little "Indiana's even getting more attention than we did" going on. People are totally loving IN right now! i think i have heard more IN trivia this week than my entire life combined too :-)

RE: everyone in LA is way too skinny for beer- soooo true. took us a bit to figure out why but i quickly realized that once i realized why there aren't any Great breakfast spots.

2008-05-01 10:49 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

So does ANYONE like run intervals? 

I did love the ice bath afterwards with a nice litre of....... Gerosteiner Mineral water. 

What'd you think I was gonna say?  Beer?  Ok, I had one of those as well.  What can I say though.  I'm an advertising sucker, and ever since Levi rode with Gerolsteiner, and my general infatuation with all things German, I've taken to the mineral water.  Tasty, tasty stuff.

2008-05-02 8:44 AM
in reply to: #1377029

User image

Regular
sesh - 2008-05-01 11:49 PM

Some folks use this an indication of how much slow twitch vs. fast twitch muscle fibers you have. As the theory goes, the better you are at a certain workout, the more you enjoy those types of workouts. If you enjoy doing 200-400m repeats over and over over again, it's an indication that you might have a high concentration of fast twitch muscle fibers. The opposite--if you enjoy doing mile or even 2 mile repeats (but only a few of them) then you probably have more slow twitch muscle fibers.

You could also take a biopsy of your leg muscles
2008-05-02 8:47 AM
in reply to: #1376507

User image

Regular
kerryleigh5 - 2008-05-01 7:02 PM

but i quickly realized that once i realized why there aren't any Great breakfast spots.

Los Angeles is quickly becoming the strangest place in the universe to me.

2008-05-02 9:28 AM
in reply to: #1377478

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
pshorty - 2008-05-02 8:47 AM
kerryleigh5 - 2008-05-01 7:02 PM

but i quickly realized that once i realized why there aren't any Great breakfast spots.

Los Angeles is quickly becoming the strangest place in the universe to me.

A beerless, omeletteless society?  Do we need to organize a fundraiser and rescue these people?

2008-05-02 9:31 AM
in reply to: #1377469

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
pshorty - 2008-05-02 8:44 AM
sesh - 2008-05-01 11:49 PM

Some folks use this an indication of how much slow twitch vs. fast twitch muscle fibers you have. As the theory goes, the better you are at a certain workout, the more you enjoy those types of workouts. If you enjoy doing 200-400m repeats over and over over again, it's an indication that you might have a high concentration of fast twitch muscle fibers. The opposite--if you enjoy doing mile or even 2 mile repeats (but only a few of them) then you probably have more slow twitch muscle fibers. You could also take a biopsy of your leg muscles

What if you don't like both? 

They really weren't that bad.  The last two minutes of the 4th and 5th interval were pretty crappy, but overall it doesn't warrant all the whining I'm doing.

I do think they are helping, though.  My heart rate isn't skyrocketing on my bricks and I'm able to hold a much better pace than I did last year. 

2008-05-02 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1377602

User image

Regular
sesh - 2008-05-02 10:31 AM

What if you don't like both?   

It means you should do them more often

You could always sub a hill workout which are really speed workouts in disguise (in many ways).

How hilly is MS? I ask because when I lived in Shreveport, they did not have hills. They got rid of them all somehow?!?!?
2008-05-04 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1377029

User image

DC
Helloooo Mentor Group. It's been a while.
Random thoughts over things that people have been talking about:
1. Anyone who would willing give up waffles or beer is absolutely crazy.
2. Every time I try to do run intervals I end up too exhausted to finish my run
3. I went to see Barack Obama while he was on campus; he was a very impressive speaker. This election is nuts!

I got some bad news related to my plans for next year this past week and kind of disappeared off BT for a while. Good news is I've been working hard in that time to create a list of positives coming from the situation and feel much better about it now.
Had the physically hardest workout/race/hour and a half of my life today. 3 mile OWS in a river...my race report is up, if you don't want to read it all just remember to always always always wear sunscreen on your face when you are swimming. And not to pay attention to other people in a race, just yourself and your goals. That's basically what I got out of this event.

Hope everyone is doing well, this thread seems to have slowed down a bit since being archived. When's the next race? After 3 weekends in a row of competition, im relaxing until Bay Swim on June 8th.
2008-05-04 7:31 PM

User image

DC
Oh and also- Bill your avatar is fantastic, and I'm not really sure where mine went...it just was gone one day and I'm too computer retarded to be able to resize a new picture In better BT news I am FINALLY no longer an "extreme veteran" and have moved into the "expert" category. Feels good.

2008-05-05 1:38 AM
in reply to: #1381010

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
gracetheterp - 2008-05-04 5:30 PM

3. I went to see Barack Obama while he was on campus; he was a very impressive speaker. This election is nuts!

I got some bad news related to my plans for next year this past week and kind of disappeared off BT for a while. Good news is I've been working hard in that time to create a list of positives coming from the situation and feel much better about it now.
Had the physically hardest workout/race/hour and a half of my life today. 3 mile OWS in a river...my race report is up, if you don't want to read it all just remember to always always always wear sunscreen on your face when you are swimming. And not to pay attention to other people in a race, just yourself and your goals. That's basically what I got out of this event.

Hope everyone is doing well, this thread seems to have slowed down a bit since being archived. When's the next race? After 3 weekends in a row of competition, im relaxing until Bay Swim on June 8th.

Nice job on your swim. Thanks for the sunscreen tip!

I am not really excited for this to turn political or anything but I am a huge fan of Obama!!!

Headed for Chicago in the morning for a week. I am going to join my cousin's masters swim for a few sessions. I cannot wait. Oh, and going to a wedding.
2008-05-05 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1381383

User image

DC
wyndswept - 2008-05-05 2:38 AM

I am not really excited for this to turn political or anything but I am a huge fan of Obama!!!

Headed for Chicago in the morning for a week. I am going to join my cousin's masters swim for a few sessions. I cannot wait. Oh, and going to a wedding.

I love that the wedding is an afterthought to the master's swimming
Have you ever done masters before?
2008-05-05 8:21 AM
in reply to: #1381383

User image

Regular
wyndswept - 2008-05-05 2:38 AM

Which team is it? My younger brother swam on a Chicago masters team for several years. He just moved a couple of months ago.
2008-05-05 12:39 PM
in reply to: #1381010

User image

Regular
gracetheterp - 2008-05-04 8:30 PM

Sorry again about your plans, but good job on your swim. Three miles is running distance, if not biking distance.

I am just getting over my sunburn head from my Boston race. I keep my hair pretty short and I burnt the crap out of the top of my head. My skin was coming off of my head in clumps!! Not very becoming.
2008-05-05 6:51 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Yeah.  I've got a pretty sweet looking trisuit burn on my back right now.  Sunscreen is a GREAT idea that I never think about, despite being so pale I'm almost transparent.

Well, did some more intervals, Paul.  Yeah, they still aren't THAT fun, but they aren't as bad as they used to be.  Maybe I'm starting to dig them a little.

2008-05-06 7:58 AM
in reply to: #1383415

User image

Regular
sesh - 2008-05-05 7:51 PM

Yeah.  I've got a pretty sweet looking trisuit burn on my back right now.  Sunscreen is a GREAT idea that I never think about, despite being so pale I'm almost transparent.

Well, did some more intervals, Paul.  Yeah, they still aren't THAT fun, but they aren't as bad as they used to be.  Maybe I'm starting to dig them a little.

Don't overdo it. Keep it at once a year or so and then they are magical!!!
2008-05-06 9:47 AM
in reply to: #1384193

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
pshorty - 2008-05-06 7:58 AM
sesh - 2008-05-05 7:51 PM

Don't overdo it. Keep it at once a year or so and then they are magical!!!

Too late.  Addiction is taking over.  It's bike intervals today!

So Grace.  A marathon huh?

2008-05-06 10:16 AM
in reply to: #1384481

User image

Regular
sesh - 2008-05-06 10:47 AM

So Grace.  A marathon huh?

I saw that, too. Go Grace!!
2008-05-06 12:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Portland

Yeah Grace, I knew you'd be on the marathon track soon. just had a feeling from your race report :-)

I am trying to decide whether to run on this fall or next winter... decisions decisions. If I knew where I'd be living & working in the fall that would help. Though I suppose having the city narrowed down is a start :-)

25 days from my next 1/2 and have to get some more long runs in.... soon...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  

of 33