BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-06-14 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2068936

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED
I'm still way behind on my goal - sorry Beach BabesFrown.  I only did 47 min of biking this week.  I think that puts me at 1.5 hrs with 18.5 to go.  I'm definitely going to need all 18.5 of those hours on the bike though.  I drove the bike route for my tri in August and it's going to be tough.  There are a lot of hills!  But at least there were only 1 or 2 that were really steep.  I think as long as I can get in the time and do some hill training, I'll be OK.  I'm actually more worried about the roads themselves.  The route takes you over a lot of back roads, some of which are not in very good condition, and they are narrow with little to no shoulder.  If I remember right, the roads are not closed for this tri so we'll be dealing with cars along the way.  That scares me more than the hills.  Hopefully I can stay with a group at least part of the way - might be a little safer. 

Hope everyone's having a good weekend!
Janet

2009-06-14 5:08 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
My race report is up!  YEAH!!!

Also - this morning I watched my first tri!!! It was the Subaru women's series - and it was AWESOME!  The atmosphere was great...every was so encouraging and it was SUCH good motivation for me.  I'm scheduled for 2 right now..1 in about a month and another in 2 - -which will be almost the same course as the one today.  If you ladies haven't watched a triathlon - get out of bed early one day and go see one!  It's SOOO cool!!  Especially to think...this could be me!!

My progress report:  I DID my weekly goal:  3 x 25 pushups (I had misquoted last week saying i did 30/45 - i meant 50/75... However I did an extra 15 this week, but I don't know if that counts as "catch up"...but?!?!

Have a good week everyone!!
2009-06-14 9:21 PM

User image

New user

Hi Everyone!!

I met my goal this week for Team Abusement park.  2 runs, 1 bike. 

Janet - sorry to hear about the injuries.  Are you feeling any better yet?

Christine - I'm impressed you kept up with your training and lost a pound on vacation!  That's awesome.  I have vacation coming up in 2 weeks, hope I can do that well.  We'll be in Napa and Sonoma so that should be a beautiful place to run/bike.  As for your other post about how fast to run.  I agree, depends on your goal.  As Lora said, I'm working on distance before pace as you can tell from my 13min/mile pace from my 4 mile run today!!  Man I think I could literally walk faster than I jog...how sad.  Owell, I'm still faster than I am sitting on my couch!

Kami - Great job on your 5k!  Sounds like a fun route with lots of cool scenery.

Janet - sounds like you picked a good goal for the challenge.  Hopefully the 18.5 hours of biking you have coming will help you feel more confident about your upcoming race.  I just got out on my bike for the first time on the roads today.  I've only ever biked on the rail trail before today.  It's scary sharing the road with traffic!

lck - great job on the 5k.  I need to find some more to do.  They are fun!

I didn't post much this week, so I have a lot to say Laughing

We put our deposit in on our ceremony and reception site - official date 6/18/10 - woohoo!  www.stonemillinn.com in case you're interested! 

My fiance is thinking about doing a half marathon next weekend and his furthest run is just over 6 miles.  I keep telling him not to do it.  He's  on BT.com too and he started a thread about it and first everyone was telling him not to do it, but now I think they've mostly started telling him to do it!  We went for a run this morning and he was ahead of me and I saw him stop and walk quite a bit his first mile and a half.  He has horrible plantar faciatis (sp?).  He said after his feet stretched out he felt better.  I think he is crazy and should not run this race, but I guess he's going to try to do a run/walk or something.  He thinks he should be able to do it if the Biggest Losers did it!  We'll see if he goes through with it.  I hope not!

I ran 4 miles today.  Slower than ever, but I did it.  I enjoyed it too.  I could have probably gone further, but I had a weight watcher meeting that I had to get to.  Speaking of which - I was went on a 6 week hiatis from WW and went back last weekend and only gained 0.2!  I weighed in today and lost 2.  Starting back in the right direction.  I certainly have some motivation now!

My heart rate monitor and Ipod quit working on my run today!  Ipod is charging now.  I have a Polar f4 HRM.  I guess you have to buy a new chest strap for the HRM when the battery dies.  There is no where to get a battery in or out of it.  I looked online and it looks like you're supposed to sent your chest strap to them to have the battery replaced.  What a PITA!  I think I'm going to take this opportunity to purchase a Garmin.  I was just reading about the Garmin Forerunners.  Any one have any opinions?  I found a Garmin Forerunner 305 for $150 at costo.  I think I'm going to get it.  I loved loved loved working out with my regular old Polar HRM.  The garmin will be awesome.  Especially for when I'm traveling and can't map out a route ahead of time.

Well I think that's it for now.  Happy training everyone!

2009-06-14 10:00 PM

User image

New user
me again!!  Just wanted to let you know about a cool site I heard about for downloading music.  www.johnsines.com.  It's technically for aerobic instructors - one of the instructors from my gym told me about it.  It says you have to be an instructor, to down load from there.  I'm not and I just downloaded.  It's not free, but you can get CDs or download CDs for pretty cheap.  I just downloaded 18 songs for $10.  They are remixes and you can pick the bpm (beat per minute).  You can download like 4 songs for free just to make sure you know how to work it before purchasing anything.  I downloaded the free songs a while back and have been running to them.  They were good.
2009-06-14 10:32 PM
in reply to: #2216164

User image

Illinois

Lora,

I did 2.02 miles on the bike.  I need to rethink how I'm going to track the bike goal since I just had a total.  I'll give it some thought this week.

Sue

2009-06-15 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Morning ladies.  It's raining - again!  And supposed to rain for the next couple of days.  I can't remember when we've had this much rain in June.  It may be a blessing in disguise for me though.  It will keep me on the TM for my runs (which I will take slowly this week) and probably cancel the speedwork session at the track tomorrow night, which I really shouldn't go to anyway!  My leg is feeling better - still a little soreness in my calf especially going up and down stairs, but overall it's doing OK. 

Lisa - congrats on your race!  That's a great time for a first 5k!  I volunteered at a local triathlon before I did my first one.  It was one of the reasons that I decided to try one myself - so many "normal-looking" people doing it. 

Maggie - Congrats on setting the date!  Regarding your fiance and the half marathon - I think it depends a lot on his goal for the race.  If he's just looking to finish, then he'll probably be OK.  That doesn't necessarily mean I think it's a good idea, but a lot of people have finished a half marathon being unprepared - including meEmbarassed.  However, I did not enjoy the experience and looking back, I wish I wouldn't have even attempted it.  And if he's having a problem with PF, that's another good reason to put it off - he could aggravate the condition and then not be able to run at all for a while.  Just my $.02.

As for the Garmin - I have the Forerunner 305 and I love it!  I haven't tried out the HRM yet, but I love the other features.  The best part, of course, is not having to remember where I ran or always running the same route so that I'll know the distance - the Garmin does it all for me!  I also like that I can set intervals.  I still do run/walk on some of my longer runs so I can set it to tell me when to run and when I can take a walk break.  Having the walk breaks timed keeps them from getting too longSmile.  The pace alert is nice too - keeps you from going out too fast, especially in a race situation.  I would definitely recommend one. 

Christine - I have to agree with the others.  Distance before speed, unless you never plan to run anything more than a 5k or other short distance.  I've never done any kind of speedwork (at least not until 2 weeks ago), but my 5k times have decreased quite a bit over the last 6 months.  I think it comes from a combination of running longer distances and the cross-training I get from training for tri's. 

Kami - congrats on your race (I know I'm a little late, but wanted to get that in there)!  The Race for the Cure was held here in St. Louis this past weekend and they had over 66,000 people down there.  That's the main reason I don't usually do this race - it's just too crowded for me.  I'll usually do a more local race that also benefits breast cancer research - that way I still contribute to the cause, but in a more comfortable atmosphere for me. 

OK, better get some work done.  I've got 4-1/2 days this week and then vacation timeLaughing.  We're not going anywhere this year, but I am still looking forward to some time away from the office!  Hopefully next week won't be filled with rain and I can get some decent training in.
Have a great day!
Janet

2009-06-15 11:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Good morning everyone!

Maggie - the place you reserved for the wedding looks awesome! Congrats on all that is happening in your life right now! How exciting!!

Kami - great race! Great time!

Chris - I agree with all the others and from my own experience I will say, be happy with slow for now. It will eventually build your endurance and allow you to go farther. Longer distances done slowly do bring faster speeds on shorter runs. Funny how that works!

I went to the open water swim practice yesterday and made my decision to stay in the pool. I made it through the course - it was actually about 800meters rather than the actual tri distance of 600m - but I did have a panicked moment and had to hold on to one of the lifeguard's kayaks and catch my breath. I was about halfway and was suddenly feeling so disoriented, dizzy and out of breath. I was going to "tough it out" but then told myself that was silly....there was no reason to. I thought about it all day and realized - through reflecting on this and a few other incidents - that I do still have to deal with adrenal issues. For the most part, my health is back, but when under immediate stress or anxiety, my adrenal glands still over accelerate and don't turn off easily. When my health was at its worst, I could not watch a movie that had any action in it because my adrenals would fire up and not go off! It is much more under control now, but I did make a connection yesterday with why my heart gets to racing like it does/did in the open water. Once I hung on to the kayak for a minute or two and mentally worked on calming the adrenal rush, I was much better and ended the swim just fine. It will definitely take some work on my part if I want to do an ows.

After my swim, I rode the entire race course on my bike - 13.6 miles is what my Garmin said. I had promised myself that I wasn't going to push it, but just ride it and check things out. Lots of hills....2 really tough ones...and in the end I had to push it a bit because the wind was blowing so hard! Hopefully at 8am in the morning, the wind won't be blowing. I also almost wrecked my bike around the last turn into the park. My front tire hit some sand and slid out from under me. I still don't know how I saved it! My dd said it was my guardian angel! Amen to that! I won't forget that sand on race day!!

I tried to run/walk the race path, but only got about a mile before I got confused as to which way to go....lots of paths to follow. I ended up walking about 2 miles and was fine with that. I was more worried about checking out the bike route.

I think I have the nutrition figured out finally. Yesterday I took one Gel right before I rode, then on the ride I used Luna Moons (organic energy chews for women) along with a very diluted gatorade/water. when I got off my bike and went to run I felt really good.

Well...I know there were more people I wanted to directly address here, but I got interrupted right in the middle to take dh to a tractor. Now I have lost my train of thought and the way these BT forums work, you cant see the posts easily. Ah well...more later.

Sharie
2009-06-15 12:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi,

I got a entry-level road bike about 6 weeks ago and I have kind of an embarrassing confession to make.  I had not shifted at all, NOT ONCE, the entire 6 weeks until last week.  I had been riding it a lot but I've been kind of afraid of it.  Fortunately, I have the Paul Bunyan trail just a couple of blocks from my house.  It's a paved bike, run, snowmobile trail that runs for miles and miles.  I've been riding on that to get used to the bike which is nice because I don't have to deal with any traffic.  Anyway, last week I decided to bite the bullet and practice shifting.  It was actually quite easy and made biking much faster and easier.  I hadn't realized the bike was in the easiest gear - so my legs were spinning but I wasn't covering much distance.  So, the week before I did a 10 mile ride at about 12mph.  The next week, with shifting, I did the same 10 miles at 14.6  mph with the same effort.  I am so happy.

Now I have to practice taking my hand off the handlebar - I'm still afraid to do that - I want to be able to scratch my nose or take a drink of water without stopping.

Have a good day, everyone,
Denise
2009-06-15 12:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Yea, Denise! I bet riding is much more fun now! I did two rides on my bike where I only shifting the rear cassette and not the front rings for the same reason. Not to scare you, but then my first ride really switching my front rings, the chain fell off! It isn't a hard fix and now I know you can even keep pedaling and correct it. Live and learn! I am still not great on getting a drink while moving...I always wait for a flat spot and still have to look most of the time to get it back in the holder. I can take it out without looking.

When is your first tri?

Sharie
2009-06-15 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2218736

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
I met my goal of 3 ab workouts this week!

Did a great ride yesterday after swim practice with 3 other swimmers that will be at one of my tris. Now I feel really good about the race this sunday.  The ride was 17 miles and was right after a 3000 yrd swim practice, and it wasn't bad at all! Just hope the foot doesn't act up before then...

I will spend my remaining training min. practicing transitions...
Kami 
2009-06-15 1:28 PM

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY

I did another 4 mile run yesterday.  I'm short on last week's goal, but between rain and a sick kid I had to miss my short run.  I'm tapering for my race now, but I'm going to add that run to this week to get the miles.  It's only 23 minutes, so it shouldn't upset the taper plan too much. 

I do NOT like tapering!  I woke up yesterday morning at 3:45 am, with my body buzzing with energy.  This is after being up until after 11:00 pm for the past three nights, something I never do.  I tried to go back to sleep, since I really didn't need to be up until 7:00, but only managed to doze a couple of times.  I finally went out for my run at 6:30.  I had a beer yesterday evening and that helped me get a decent night's sleep last night.  Tongue out

2009-06-15 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
A quick question.....I am supposed to be doing cattle records in prep for branding on Wed but I can't stop thinking TRIATHLON!

What are/do you wear for your triathlon? I know I want to stay with 2 pieces rather than a full suit - for bathroom issues and I tried on a full suit once...GAG! A friend gave me some TYR shorts in size large and they fit ok about a month ago, but now they are pretty baggy in the rear, hips and thighs. Since I have decided to do the pool swim for sure, I plan to wear a Moving Comfort Tri tank top and shorts...but now I have to buy shorts!

Sharie
2009-06-15 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2218889

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
serendipity - 2009-06-15 2:28 PM

I do NOT like tapering! I woke up yesterday morning at 3:45 am, with my body buzzing with energy. This is after being up until after 11:00 pm for the past three nights, something I never do. I tried to go back to sleep, since I really didn't need to be up until 7:00, but only managed to doze a couple of times. I finally went out for my run at 6:30. I had a beer yesterday evening and that helped me get a decent night's sleep last night. Tongue out

I feel ya! I fell sooo lazy! even though I did a 1hr swim and 1hr bike yesterday, just thinking about the only 15 min bike and run I am "supposed" to do this week makes me feel like I'm not doing anything this week. I think I will go to practice on tuesday and do the bike/run on wed. then "tough it out" till the tri on sunday.
2009-06-16 5:48 AM

User image

Master
Did 2 miles this morning.  Had to talk myself into getting out of bed, but I'm glad I did.  It felt really good.
2009-06-16 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Morning!  So I tried an easy run on the TM last night - well, run/walk actually.  I did 2 min running/2 min walking for 20 min plus a short warmup and cooldown.  I had a little soreness in my calf during the run segments but it wasn't too bad.  I didn't want to push my luck though, so stopped after a total of 30 min.  I did a lot of stretching and massaging of the leg afterwards and then wore my compression sleeve on it overnight - it's supposed to be good for recovery so I thought I'd give it a try.  My leg feels surprisingly good this morningSmile.  There's a little stiffness (probably from the vigorous massaging last night) but the soreness is minimal, even going up and down stairs.  I'm taking this as a good sign, but I will skip the speedwork session at the track tonight (you have my permission to yell at me if I'm dumb enough to goSmile).  I'll probably hit the gym instead since it's supposed to rain all day anyway and get in a bike workout and maybe some upper body strength training. 

Hope everyone has a good day!
Janet

2009-06-16 8:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
This week is not looking like a good week before a race... I think I fractured my middle finger on sunday, I think I have pinkeye, so I didn't get to go to practice tonight, it is going to rain all day tomorrow, when I planned on practicing transitions, probably need to go see the dr anyway... what next?

urghhh....

2009-06-16 9:04 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-16 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2222871

2009-06-17 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2222871

Master

freeflykami - 2009-06-16 9:31 PM This week is not looking like a good week before a race... I think I fractured my middle finger on sunday, I think I have pinkeye, so I didn't get to go to practice tonight, it is going to rain all day tomorrow, when I planned on practicing transitions, probably need to go see the dr anyway... what next?

urghhh....

Ugh, not what you need right before a race, but all is not lost.  I would call the doctor about the pink eye.  If you get some of the drops it is usually gone in a day.  You don't want a tearing eye to make it harder to see where you're going in the race!  You should probably see a doctor about the finger, too, and if it's broken get it taped up.  Hopefully it's not broken.  How did you manage to do that, anyway?

Do you have a bike trainer?  If it's raining, you could always practice transitions inside.  Take a shower in your clothes, wetsuit, etc., so you'll be wet, then T1 to the bike trainer, then T2 and run around the house a bit.  Well, provided you're not to worried about what your house will look like when you're done, that is!  Wink

It seems like many people have stuff go wrong the week before the race, and everyone tells them not to worry about the training, because they are ready and the rest usually helps.  I guess the message is - don't panic!

2009-06-17 9:01 AM

Master

Christine - Sorry about the headache.  Migraines are killer.  Take care of yourself.  And remember that you have lots of support from this group.  We all want you to succeed.

BTW, I really enjoyed reading about your vacation on your blog.

2009-06-17 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2223726

2009-06-17 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2222952

Veteran
Northern VA
ChrisFL - 2009-06-16 10:04 PM Hey all- I did not meet my goal this week.  Been a rough week.  I'm putting my triathlon goal on hold right now while I try to figure some things out.  I don't have the support at home that I want (and need).  For awhile I tried to just push my feelings aside but as I've become more enthusiastic and meet with more and more resistance I've started to feel pretty depressed about things.  I'm also struggling big time with Father's day approaching.  Even though it's been five years it still sucks that my dad is gone and lately I've had more and more responsibility for my mom. 

My dad's last words to me (and I literally mean LAST words- he was unconscious and in a coma like state but still breathing and I HEARD his voice as clear as day tell me to 'take care of your mother.')  It was typical of him to say something like that along the lines of me and my siblings looking out for our mom but the eerie thing about it was that I had left his side for a minute and went to the bathroom.  And as I was washing my hands I heard his voice.  It was clear and strong.  And of course when I returned to his room he was gone.  So it's always in my head- his reminder to look after my mother because he no longer can. 

So lots of emotions are bubbling over the top this week for me and without my husbands support I just really feel like saying 'screw it'.  But then Sharie- an angel in our group took time out of her very busy life and shared some things I needed to hear today (thank you Sharie!).  And so I am praying and rethinking what I want and how to pursue my dream of triathlon without anyone's support if it isn't there and how to give it all to God and find the joy for myself. 

So that's where I'm at.  I have been plagued by headaches for about oh.....SEVEN days now as well and I don't function too well when I get migraines.   My apologies to our group- I will get back on track for meeting the goal as soon as I can.    Christine

Wow! Sounds like a tough week for you... That really sucks that your not getting the family support you need. But, I think you should keep going, WE KNOW YOU CAN DO IT! and I know from experience the more resistance you get while working towards your goal, the better it will feel to finish it!
Do your 5K on fathers day, and walk what you need to, it will be great to be with people who are working towards your same goals.

Thanks for the advice on pink eye. Looks like it was a warning for an upcoming cold. I'm starting to get stuffy and the throat is sore, but at least my eye isn't oozing anymore. So I think Ill go pick up some zycam when the kiddos get up. It looks like one of them is about to get it too.

I worked on transitions this morning, and rode my bike on the trainer... just hope to get in a short run tomorrow, and maybe go to practice... can't decide since they are usually pretty tough.

2009-06-17 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2223878

Master
ChrisFL - 2009-06-17 10:41 AM So probably a very stupid question but want everyone's input.  There is a 5K race literally right around the corner here for Fathers Day.  I think it would be very healing for me if I ran it.   But it would probably be wise of me to walk/run it to avoid injury at this stage of the game.  Is that kind of dumb- I mean I'm wondering if it's the right thing to do or if I should be so prepared for my first 5K that I am amazing myself with my time and achievement.  This would be just to 'do' it.  But I think it would be a turning point in my healing and help me put some major grief behind me.  Thoughts....I am curious about others thoughts on this.  Plus I do not know how to contact the people putting on the race.  I think I'll post on the FL board about that.  Thanks and hope everyone has a terrific day.  Christine

I think you have a very good reason to do the race.  You would be honoring the memory of your dad and doing something for your health and well-being, which is important.

If you google the name of the race or the location and date, you might find a listing for the race on one of the running sites or active.com, which will give you the contact info.  Most local 5Ks let you register the day of the race.  You just show up an hour or so before the race starts, give them some money, and get your number.  So if you can never get in touch with anyone, you could take a chance and just show up and probably get to race. 
2009-06-17 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2224567

Illinois

Kami,

No Zicam.  I would be surprised if it's still on store shelves.   It turns out it can cause people to lose their sense of smell and the FDA just halted sales. 

Sue

2009-06-17 6:29 PM
in reply to: #2224900

Veteran
Queens, NY

Hi all!

Chris, it is good to hear that you are turning around. as I noted to you I am also smarting from losing my father just over a year ago (this will be my second without him) and it is difficult, he was my friend. Ah, well.

I didn't make my swim goal last week - I only made it into the pool once. Frown

I had a nice ride with some other BT folks over the weekend, and I took my bike to the sameplace yesterday and did a brick - 10 mile ride, 2 mile run. I literally could not feel my legs so cannot comment on pace or anything. This am I went to the track to do a run as I overslept and woudl not have had time to go to where I usually do my 5 mile run. I could barely make 2.5 miles! what IS that?

I am very disappointed by todays session!

I think fatigue is catching up with me, the past week I have been waking up 'late" (6am) and I am a little lethargic in the am...to make my swims I am usually up at 4 am. I am not going to bed early enough, I know. Hard to do with 4 kids a dog a job etc etc....PLUS it has been raining here for the last couple of weeks, and is much cooler than usual. While it is GREAT exercise weather, it makes it hard for me to get up in the am...(sigh)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36