BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2010-07-12 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2975676

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: RE: Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED
sstucker - 2010-07-12 12:03 PM Looks like I'll stay out of the pool for next 2 or 3 days as I have a pretty bad ear infection. While getting prescriptions I picked up some ear plugs. Do any of you wear earplugs or use any kind of drops for swimming? My doctor prescribed me some drops for before and after swims.

I always wear ear plugs or use my Interval H20 Audio player while swimming.  I use the Mack's Aqua Block.  $4 bucks for two pair.  They last quite a while.  I also use them in OWS as I tend to get dissy upon exit and I don't have that sensation anymore.  At times when it is windy out I'll wear them on the bike as well.

2010-07-12 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2975752

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
TriGuyBri - 2010-07-12 3:34 PM

sstucker - 2010-07-12 12:03 PM Looks like I'll stay out of the pool for next 2 or 3 days as I have a pretty bad ear infection. While getting prescriptions I picked up some ear plugs. Do any of you wear earplugs or use any kind of drops for swimming? My doctor prescribed me some drops for before and after swims.

I always wear ear plugs or use my Interval H20 Audio player while swimming.  I use the Mack's Aqua Block.  $4 bucks for two pair.  They last quite a while.  I also use them in OWS as I tend to get dissy upon exit and I don't have that sensation anymore.  At times when it is windy out I'll wear them on the bike as well.

Great idea about wearing during bike/run. During winter I always have issues during the run and cold wind, I think I'll start to wear then. I gotta start thinking out of the box. thanks.
2010-07-12 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2775149

User image

Expert
Salem
Question:  I am planning to do a Half-Marathon in late Oct. so that is about 15-16 weeks out.  I have two maybe three sprint races remaining with another Olympic Race in late Sept.  I wanted to begin training now for the Half-Marathon using a Half-Marathon training plan incombination with an Olympic plan.  I would incorporate the Half-Marathon plan into my running plan for  the Olympic race were it makes sense and reduce when my body says I am doing too much. 

Any advice on the dangers of doing this?  Any other suggestions?
2010-07-12 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2975858

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
TriGuyBri - 2010-07-12 4:07 PM Question:  I am planning to do a Half-Marathon in late Oct. so that is about 15-16 weeks out.  I have two maybe three sprint races remaining with another Olympic Race in late Sept.  I wanted to begin training now for the Half-Marathon using a Half-Marathon training plan incombination with an Olympic plan.  I would incorporate the Half-Marathon plan into my running plan for  the Olympic race were it makes sense and reduce when my body says I am doing too much. 

Which race is more important to you -- the Oly or the Half Marathon?
2010-07-12 8:17 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I got tired of waiting for splits, so race report here.  I learned a lot about myself in this race.  Randy (who had a really fine race!) very kindly cheered me during the run but I was so far gone that all I could do was raise my hand in acknowledgment.

I don't have any faith in the swim splits in any case, so waiting for them is kind of pointless -- and I suspect that's what's causing the delay in the reporting of splits, though I doubt they can fix it.  It was a TT start and started smoothly enough, but by around racer 250 or so it became pretty chaotic.

Roughly, splits were:

Swim:  26:?? (~1:45/100m)
Bike: 1:08:?? (~23mph)
Run: 43:?? (~6:5? min/mile)

As I said above, this race really taught me a lot about myself and about continuing when my body wants to stop.  I wasn't particularly well prepared for it, and didn't have huge expectations, but I'm really happy to have come out learning a bit more about how to race.
2010-07-12 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2976386

User image

Expert
Salem
Experior - 2010-07-12 4:57 PM
TriGuyBri - 2010-07-12 4:07 PM Question:  I am planning to do a Half-Marathon in late Oct. so that is about 15-16 weeks out.  I have two maybe three sprint races remaining with another Olympic Race in late Sept.  I wanted to begin training now for the Half-Marathon using a Half-Marathon training plan incombination with an Olympic plan.  I would incorporate the Half-Marathon plan into my running plan for  the Olympic race were it makes sense and reduce when my body says I am doing too much. 

. The Oly.ThX

2010-07-12 8:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis

Hey all. Just checking in after the race yesterday. I had a good day yesterday. Again, "good" being relative.

The swim went well. I just wanted to finish and I did. I could have gone much harder. Now I know better and the next time I will push it. I had a really hard time exiting the lake. The shore was rocky, but they had astroturf at the immediate exit. However, I had to walk several feet to the astro turf. Pretty tough when you have NO flexibility in the ankle joint. The step out of the water was about 2 1/2 feet out of the water and I could not get my footing. Two guys had to help me up. Somewhat embarrasing. I finally got out of the water and hit the transition. Had a good transision. Not sure of the time. The timing mat for T1 went out. The total swim time includes T1. So the swim timw is actually 2+ minutes better than feflected in the time.

Had a GREAT first half of the bike. I was averaging 22-23 and evn hit 24 a couple of times. Then we had to turn around. Killer headwind. Was lucky to hit 18-19 on the way back. Oberall finished
with 18.8

The run, well was the run. I'm not good on the run. Probably due to fact I only have 1 ankle joint. ; ) I still think a lot of it is still conditioning. Plus an extra 30lbs. I can work on both those. I was complaining to a friend who did the race that my run was almost 2 minutes slower than when I train. He responded: "You think? you just swam 3/4 of a mile and cycled another 20 miles. You run time is suppose to be a little slower!" Good point. I had a blast though. My time was about a minute and a half slower than my last tri, but the swim was twice as long and open water. I think that shows improvement. I'll have a full race report up in a few days.

Phil

Finish Time
2:23:45 
Swim Time27:30:002:47 Pace
Bike Time1:03:4218.8 mph
Transition 22:39 
Run49:54:0012:29 min/mile
2010-07-12 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2976571

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-07-12 9:29 PM

Hey all. Just checking in after the race yesterday. I had a good day yesterday. Again, "good" being relative.

The swim went well. I just wanted to finish and I did. I could have gone much harder. Now I know better and the next time I will push it. I had a really hard time exiting the lake. The shore was rocky, but they had astroturf at the immediate exit. However, I had to walk several feet to the astro turf. Pretty tough when you have NO flexibility in the ankle joint. The step out of the water was about 2 1/2 feet out of the water and I could not get my footing. Two guys had to help me up. Somewhat embarrasing. I finally got out of the water and hit the transition. Had a good transision. Not sure of the time. The timing mat for T1 went out. The total swim time includes T1. So the swim timw is actually 2+ minutes better than feflected in the time.

Had a GREAT first half of the bike. I was averaging 22-23 and evn hit 24 a couple of times. Then we had to turn around. Killer headwind. Was lucky to hit 18-19 on the way back. Oberall finished
with 18.8

The run, well was the run. I'm not good on the run. Probably due to fact I only have 1 ankle joint. ; ) I still think a lot of it is still conditioning. Plus an extra 30lbs. I can work on both those. I was complaining to a friend who did the race that my run was almost 2 minutes slower than when I train. He responded: "You think? you just swam 3/4 of a mile and cycled another 20 miles. You run time is suppose to be a little slower!" Good point. I had a blast though. My time was about a minute and a half slower than my last tri, but the swim was twice as long and open water. I think that shows improvement. I'll have a full race report up in a few days.

Phil

Finish Time
2:23:45 
Swim Time27:30:002:47 Pace
Bike Time1:03:4218.8 mph
Transition 22:39 
Run49:54:0012:29 min/mile

Great job!  That's a really strong improvement.  I have found it VERY hard to figure out how hard to go on the swim.  I usually feel that I haven't gone hard enough.  I think (hope) this is a matter of experience.

Those tailwinds sure can be a fickle friend.  They make you feel so strong and fast on the way out, and then they smack you in the face on the way back.  I had a little imaginary dialogue with the wind on a recent ride:  "Michael, you are so strong.  You are hardly working and yet your computer says you are moving at 25mph.  You can fly.  BOOM!  GUESS WHAT??!!??  Your computer lied.  You are a small child riding a tricycle.  You are my play-thing.  Lie down and submit to my will."

2010-07-12 8:50 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good job Phil! I know you were concerned about the swim but it sounds like you handled it well.  In my limited tri experience I have learned one thing-THE RUN ALWAYS HURTS/SUCKS/STINKS.......! Like Michael pointed out in his race report from Chattanooga it becomes a mental vs physical battle.  Can you mentally put aside the pain and the desire to stop, slow down or walk. Solid training helps and can prepare you for the pain to some extent but it just hurts.  BUT, the feeling of finishing and the sense of accomplishment makes it worthwhile for me.  Its amazing what you have accomplished-keep it up!

Randy

2010-07-12 10:32 PM
in reply to: #2976629

User image

Expert
Salem
slornow - 2010-07-12 6:50 PM

Good job Phil! I know you were concerned about the swim but it sounds like you handled it well.  In my limited tri experience I have learned one thing-THE RUN ALWAYS HURTS/SUCKS/STINKS.......! Like Michael pointed out in his race report from Chattanooga it becomes a mental vs physical battle.  Can you mentally put aside the pain and the desire to stop, slow down or walk. Solid training helps and can prepare you for the pain to some extent but it just hurts.  BUT, the feeling of finishing and the sense of accomplishment makes it worthwhile for me.  Its amazing what you have accomplished-keep it up!

Randy

I concur Randy.  The run is painful at tiems and the pain plays with your mind.  I had to tell myself when I was slowly running up those steep inclines at this past weeks tri "don't you dare give into the pain and walk, you will never forgive yourself".  That sense of accomplishment at the end is so worth it.  Keep at it Phil!  It is not what others are doing it is what you are accomplishing for yourself.  That is why I set so many individual goals for myself for each Tri; it keeps me motivated; kind of my own medal ceremony. ; )  I don't hear any lack of motivation coming from you Phil!!!  Give yourself some medals this week you deserve it.

Brian
2010-07-13 7:25 AM
in reply to: #2976834

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
TriGuyBri - 2010-07-12 11:32 PM

slornow - 2010-07-12 6:50 PM

Randy

I concur Randy.  The run is painful at tiems and the pain plays with your mind.  I had to tell myself when I was slowly running up those steep inclines at this past weeks tri "don't you dare give into the pain and walk, you will never forgive yourself".  That sense of accomplishment at the end is so worth it.  Keep at it Phil!  It is not what others are doing it is what you are accomplishing for yourself.  That is why I set so many individual goals for myself for each Tri; it keeps me motivated; kind of my own medal ceremony. ; )  I don't hear any lack of motivation coming from you Phil!!!  Give yourself some medals this week you deserve it.

Brian

Well said Brian. We do need to look at our own accomplishments.

Phil, you've come a long way, be proud.

2010-07-13 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2976546

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
TriGuyBri - 2010-07-12 9:17 PM

. The Oly.ThX

In that case, I'd think in terms of disturbing the structure of the Oly plan as little as possible, while getting in the volume you'll need for the half marathon.  By 'not disturbing the structure' I mean, especially, making sure that you can do the key workouts during the week (i.e., you are not so wiped out from running that you can't do the other stuff as prescribed in the plan).  You will almost definitely have to add a run or two per week into the plan in order to get the volume that you need to be ready for the half marathon.  Don't skimp on that or you'll have a miserable race day.

It'll be tricky because you will be increasing your run volume quite a bit.  For this reason, I would eliminate ALL intensity in the run.  No intervals!  Your #1 priority is to get that increase in run volume without hurting yourself or your swim/bike training.  The good news here is that any running intensity prescribed in the plan will be more than made up for by your increased volume.

I would make one, and only one, concession to the half marathon, and it is this.  Probably you will end up (as most of us do) with a long bike and a long run on the weekend.  Because your priority is on the Oly (and really for other reasons as well) I'd do the bike on Saturday and the run on Sunday.  Do the bike at whatever intensity the plan prescribes, and don't worry about how to get through the run on Sunday until you get there.  Then, on Sunday, go as slow as you need to to get through it.  Take walk breaks if necessary.  The one concession to half marathon training is that at some point (ideally a couple weeks out from the half marathon), reverse this.  Do your long run on relatively fresher legs on Saturday, and throw in a few miles in the middle at race pace.

When your volume starts to go up, as it will here, recovery becomes more and more important. Nutrition, hydration, sleep, and staying off your feet when you can are all good things to think about.

It'll be a great journey!  I love the half marathon distance.  It's by far my favorite race distance for pure run racing.
2010-07-13 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Thanks everyone. I think pushing through pain is a BIG part of it. I experienced pain and I did succomb to it. I'm going to start working in some speed work into my runs. Again, speed being relative. I have not really run in Z4 for any extended time and certainly not Z5. I need to get use to experiencing the pain of Z4 and Z5.

Phil
2010-07-13 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2977144

User image

Expert
Salem
Experior - 2010-07-13 5:40 AM
TriGuyBri - 2010-07-12 9:17 PM

. The Oly.ThX

In that case, I'd think in terms of disturbing the structure of the Oly plan as little as possible, while getting in the volume you'll need for the half marathon.  By 'not disturbing the structure' I mean, especially, making sure that you can do the key workouts during the week (i.e., you are not so wiped out from running that you can't do the other stuff as prescribed in the plan).  You will almost definitely have to add a run or two per week into the plan in order to get the volume that you need to be ready for the half marathon.  Don't skimp on that or you'll have a miserable race day.

It'll be tricky because you will be increasing your run volume quite a bit.  For this reason, I would eliminate ALL intensity in the run.  No intervals!  Your #1 priority is to get that increase in run volume without hurting yourself or your swim/bike training.  The good news here is that any running intensity prescribed in the plan will be more than made up for by your increased volume.

I would make one, and only one, concession to the half marathon, and it is this.  Probably you will end up (as most of us do) with a long bike and a long run on the weekend.  Because your priority is on the Oly (and really for other reasons as well) I'd do the bike on Saturday and the run on Sunday.  Do the bike at whatever intensity the plan prescribes, and don't worry about how to get through the run on Sunday until you get there.  Then, on Sunday, go as slow as you need to to get through it.  Take walk breaks if necessary.  The one concession to half marathon training is that at some point (ideally a couple weeks out from the half marathon), reverse this.  Do your long run on relatively fresher legs on Saturday, and throw in a few miles in the middle at race pace.

When your volume starts to go up, as it will here, recovery becomes more and more important. Nutrition, hydration, sleep, and staying off your feet when you can are all good things to think about.

It'll be a great journey!  I love the half marathon distance.  It's by far my favorite race distance for pure run racing.

Thanks Michael (Sensei) that is such helpful information and appreciated.  I have always switched my long rides to Sun. and did my long runs on Saturdays.  I was always perplexed why the plans set it this way, but it didn't make sense to me to do it that way.  I'll be able to get a good three week start on the run portion while I am on vacation and then when I get back hi the bike and swim again.  I will swim some while on vacation but not regularly.
2010-07-13 10:44 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Brian,  getting a jump on the run will be very helpful indeed.

There's no one correct order for the long run and long bike on the weekend.  For you, though, I think it is best to do it as bike Sat run Sun because on the bike, you want to be able to get in whatever intensity you can, while on the run, your main goal is just to get through the volume.
2010-07-13 10:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Had great bike hill workout today and yesterday did strides for run workout. OK, the stride which people say 90rpm is the most efficient well that's crazy. I did strides for 30" and counted how many I could get. First set 38, then 39, 40, 41, 42, 45. I worked up to 45 steps on my last set. Obliviously there's no way I can maintain that for any long distance but is interesting to know how FAR I am to NEVER achieving this. Is there any benefits for me to keep track of my cadence? I've always been working with pace, will adding cadence to my charts help me improve my speed? It's just another tool to use, but how effective is it for an AG?

2010-07-13 10:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Got me a bike trainer off craigslist. Smile It's a Cycleops FluidPro and only paid $225 for trainer and block...... another. Smile 

Work has been crazy busy this week and it was really nice jumping on the bike at 9:00 in the evening. Otherwise I would have missed working out today. I guess a treadmill is next and then a ..............SWIMMING POOL an OLYMPIC SIZED swimming pool! LOL

Phil
2010-07-14 9:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Added a fartlek workout today. Fastest 3 mile run to date. Three miles at a 9:52 pace. I know I have some physical limitations, but I'm sure that most of my race speed issues are more cardiovascular. Kinda sucks. I thought after a year of training my cardio was pretty good. I guess it takes more then a year to fix 20 years of inactivity.

It's a month before my next race. Hopefully some speed work will help with my time. On a positive note, next year should be a good year for PRs.

Phil
2010-07-14 9:24 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

They finally posted splits from Chattanooga race so I have completed race report.

Randy

2010-07-14 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2979226

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sstucker - 2010-07-13 11:24 PM Had great bike hill workout today and yesterday did strides for run workout. OK, the stride which people say 90rpm is the most efficient well that's crazy. I did strides for 30" and counted how many I could get. First set 38, then 39, 40, 41, 42, 45. I worked up to 45 steps on my last set. Obliviously there's no way I can maintain that for any long distance but is interesting to know how FAR I am to NEVER achieving this. Is there any benefits for me to keep track of my cadence? I've always been working with pace, will adding cadence to my charts help me improve my speed? It's just another tool to use, but how effective is it for an AG?

On both the bike and the run, I believe very strongly that you will find the cadence that is best for YOU by just running a lot.

People say '90' because there have been a few studies of ELITE runners that show MOST of them running their own PRs at around that cadence.  It's hard to think of a group of runners more irrelevant to us than they are, at least as long as we stick to the human species.

Having said that, it does not hurt to experiment with cadence.  Strides are a great way to do that.  In addition, they benefit your form in other ways as well -- in general, people run with better form the faster they are running, and strides are a very low-risk way to get some time at that faster pace, and, most likely, better form.

Of course it is true that pace is a product (literally!) of cadence and stride length.  Because of that, people will sometimes consciously try to change one or the other in an effort to go faster.  I think that's a mistake -- it can easily lead to poor form (like overstriding).  If you want to run faster, just run faster.  Your body will take care of the rest.

So yeah, keep doing those strides -- it's a great low-impact way to work on form and get in a little speed.  But don't get stressed out about your cadence during your normal running.
2010-07-14 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2979232

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-07-13 11:28 PM Got me a bike trainer off craigslist. Smile It's a Cycleops FluidPro and only paid $225 for trainer and block...... another. Smile 

Work has been crazy busy this week and it was really nice jumping on the bike at 9:00 in the evening. Otherwise I would have missed working out today. I guess a treadmill is next and then a ..............SWIMMING POOL an OLYMPIC SIZED swimming pool! LOL

Phil

Yay!  The trainer is saving me right now too.

2010-07-14 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2979807

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-07-14 10:09 AM Added a fartlek workout today. Fastest 3 mile run to date. Three miles at a 9:52 pace. I know I have some physical limitations, but I'm sure that most of my race speed issues are more cardiovascular. Kinda sucks. I thought after a year of training my cardio was pretty good. I guess it takes more then a year to fix 20 years of inactivity.

It's a month before my next race. Hopefully some speed work will help with my time. On a positive note, next year should be a good year for PRs.

Phil

Amen, brother.  I try to see the positive side of this as well:  We will keep getting faster for at least another 5 years, maybe longer, despite age kicking in.
2010-07-14 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2979856

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slornow - 2010-07-14 10:24 AM

They finally posted splits from Chattanooga race so I have completed race report.

Randy

Ditto.

ETA:  So now that they posted splits, I looked and out of 799 males in the race, my placements looked like this:

Swim: 245
Bike: 21
Run: 32

Gee, which one do you think is my weakest discipline???

Edited by Experior 2010-07-14 9:51 AM
2010-07-14 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2979940

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Experior - 2010-07-14 10:44 AM

StlPhil - 2010-07-14 10:09 AM Added a fartlek workout today. Fastest 3 mile run to date. Three miles at a 9:52 pace. I know I have some physical limitations, but I'm sure that most of my race speed issues are more cardiovascular. Kinda sucks. I thought after a year of training my cardio was pretty good. I guess it takes more then a year to fix 20 years of inactivity.

Phil

Amen, brother.  I try to see the positive side of this as well:  We will keep getting faster for at least another 5 years, maybe longer, despite age kicking in.

As Michael said we will keep getting faster for a few more years, so be patient. I was impatient and made the mistake of changing my foot strike, from heel-toe to midfoot-toe and got injured. I went back to heel-toe and have become injury free. Stick to your form and with practice and consistency speed will come.
2010-07-15 12:20 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
Went to a workshop this afternoon at a State Park Conference Center (Silver Creek Falls).  It is about 20 + miles from Salem, OR.  I have been to the park before but not to the Conference Center.  It was located about 1.8 miles back off the road.  I took my running clothes with me so I could run right after the meeting.  It was such a nice run; shaded most of the way and very much in the woods type running although on asphalt.  Nice scenery and different setting in which to run.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40