BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-02-20 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3363340

User image

Athens, GA
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED

LOL you reminded me of this.  Someone posted it on BT.  I'm glad that you are not that sick any more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwXDWVbKy1Q&feature=player_embedded

This is another good one. I originally saw it with the bears/dogs things talking.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B03dFMG8nR4 

2011-02-21 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Haha...yes I saw the video on the original thread and some parts of it do sound a little bit like me. Especially the part about the bike costing more than your car (I drive a used mini-van, yeah I know total mom, but I love having the space) and the car being parked in the driveway because my bike stuff is taking up too much room in the gargage. But my husband's bike ( a motorcycle) is also responsible for the lack of space in the garage, so I can't totally blame me.

I walked 3 miles yesterday at a 15 min/mile pace and did some weights. Trying to ease back into the cardio. My cough is pretty much gone. Hope to be back on the bike this weekend and running by mid-week.
2011-02-22 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
Hey all, just come back from a snowboard trip in Whistler. Snow was just awesome !!!

Now, back on tracks...
Hope everything went well during the last week

Cheers!
2011-02-22 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3366852

South Central PA
playmobil31 - 2011-02-22 11:05 AMHey all, just come back from a snowboard trip in Whistler. Snow was just awesome !!!

Now, back on tracks...
Hope everything went well during the last week

Cheers!
I'm so jealous...how was whistler?
2011-02-23 6:59 AM
in reply to: #3367936

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worth it !

one of my best ski trip ever. They dumped 200cm of snow just before/at the beginning of our trip and then the sky cleared up. Perfect conditions
2011-02-23 6:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Man I hate being sick!!!!  The cold, travel, and extra time at work finally caught up with me.  Was not able to get up early enough yesterday for my run, so I missed my first scheduled work out in five weeks.  Still a bit under the weather this PM, but my legs/body are thanking me for the day off.  I'll be back at it tomorrow / hopefully feeling better then!

2011-02-23 10:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Glad you had a good time Alex.

I hope you feel better tomorrow Curt.

I haven’t been in touch, but this is what I’ve done these days:
Sunday - Bike 2 Km finding a circuit for my run around the house.  3.1Km run outside in the heat.
Monday - rested
Tuesday - Bike 6.62Km in 24 mins,  swim 100m.  I had to get out of the pool because they were fumigating and it stunk. Yell
Wednesday - 10Km uphill ride with the team again.  Same route. Improved my PR by 7 mins.  Swim 800 m

Sleep well everybody  tomorrow I rest again.  Have a great Thursday!  Smile

Edited by itziaol 2011-02-23 10:39 PM
2011-02-24 8:14 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Believe it or not, I actually did some sort of training yesterday.  I figured I needed to get in a run before my 10k on Sat.  It's amazing how the body, especially as you get older, seems to take longer to get back into it than the endurance.  Just another reason to keep up some sort of exercise 3-4 times a week.  I am a bit disappointed in myself that I have taken so much time off and put back on some weight.  But, I did a short run last night, with some sprints added in.  I need to get faster.  I think I am going to go back to just S/B/R.  I definitely need to get back in the pool. 

You guys are doing great.  I have had some crazy work and home schedules with school vacation this week.  We are 2 months in to the program, with 2 months to go.  Do you guys have any suggestions or ideas for what you want to do or see over the next 2 months?  I want to make sure you get the most out of this, and it will force me to be on here more. 

2011-02-24 2:44 PM

User image

Veteran
I got my first race on saturday.  A half-marathon.  I have train and race in a visor only.  Mainly it help with the sun as well as keep sweat out of my eye.  In training if its cool I'll wear a beanie, but I dont like and if its raining I go to the gym and run on the treadmill.  So saturday the weather report calls for RAIN!  I haven't run in the rain before.  Do I need to running different in the rain?  Also  I'm thinking instead of the visor, I might wear those runner mesh cap instead?  Keeping me dry, and keeping the sun & sweat out of eyes won't be a factor.   Would the cap be better in keeping my head warm?  Or should I just stay with my visor.  I know I shouldn't change anything unless I have practice with it.
2011-02-24 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3371076

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

utahrunner - 2011-02-24 3:44 PM I got my first race on saturday.  A half-marathon.  I have train and race in a visor only.  Mainly it help with the sun as well as keep sweat out of my eye.  In training if its cool I'll wear a beanie, but I dont like and if its raining I go to the gym and run on the treadmill.  So saturday the weather report calls for RAIN!  I haven't run in the rain before.  Do I need to running different in the rain?  Also  I'm thinking instead of the visor, I might wear those runner mesh cap instead?  Keeping me dry, and keeping the sun & sweat out of eyes won't be a factor.   Would the cap be better in keeping my head warm?  Or should I just stay with my visor.  I know I shouldn't change anything unless I have practice with it.

What's the temp supposed to be?  You probably want your head exposed to let some of the heat escape.  Unless it's heavy downpours, you should be good with the visor.  You will still sweat.  The visor will also keep some of the rain out of your eyes. 

2011-02-24 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3371099

User image

Veteran
High 40s on saturday.  70% chance of rain.  I may run tomorrow with the cap just to see if I like it.  But most likely will wear the visor for the race.
Thanks.

2011-02-24 6:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Curt, I hope that you feel better!
Itzia, good job on the uphill bike ride! I can't wait to get out on the road.
Sterling, Good luck on the race! if it were me i would stay with what I have been wearing, upper 40's sounds nice and warm to me.

Josh, I'm with you, it has been a crazy schedule this week.

Had a horrible run yesterday, but maybe it had to do with my schedule? Monday work 10 hrs, sleep 4, work 7, sleep 2, work 8, sleep 3, work 4, sleep 4, try to run..... didnt work out too well, I felt very tired for some reason?
Got some rest last night and had a good swim today, 300 WU, 2000 Main ( 1 stop to grab a swig of water) continous, 150 CD. 43:55 on the 2000yds, nice steady pace, I felt very smooth today!
Rest day tomorrow! Unless we get some of the snow that they are predicting?

Enjoy the training, I know I am!
2011-02-25 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3371076

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

utahrunner - 2011-02-24 3:44 PM I got my first race on saturday.  A half-marathon.  I have train and race in a visor only.  Mainly it help with the sun as well as keep sweat out of my eye.  In training if its cool I'll wear a beanie, but I dont like and if its raining I go to the gym and run on the treadmill.  So saturday the weather report calls for RAIN!  I haven't run in the rain before.  Do I need to running different in the rain?  Also  I'm thinking instead of the visor, I might wear those runner mesh cap instead?  Keeping me dry, and keeping the sun & sweat out of eyes won't be a factor.   Would the cap be better in keeping my head warm?  Or should I just stay with my visor.  I know I shouldn't change anything unless I have practice with it.

Good luck tomorrow. Can't wait to hear all about it.

2011-02-25 2:12 PM

User image

Athens, GA
OK ? for the group. There is a 10K on March 5th (next Saturday) it sounds fun, for a local community group sponsored by the local brewery with a t-shirt, mug and brew tour after the race. . I have never done a 10k race. I have run 10K and it took close to 2h (about a year ago). Is it stupid for me to attempt this? or view it as a long run day and just go slug it out? 
2011-02-25 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3372762

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Ail - 2011-02-25 3:12 PM OK ? for the group. There is a 10K on March 5th (next Saturday) it sounds fun, for a local community group sponsored by the local brewery with a t-shirt, mug and brew tour after the race. . I have never done a 10k race. I have run 10K and it took close to 2h (about a year ago). Is it stupid for me to attempt this? or view it as a long run day and just go slug it out? 

I would say that there is a chance you might hurt yourself.  From what I can tell, the most you have run in the past couple of weeks is 3 miles.  I would go out and run 4 to 4.5 tomorrow and see how that feels.  That being said, you know your body better than we do, and if you think you can do it, than do it.  It doesn't matter how long it takes.   And this is coming from someone who is doing a 10k on Sunday and has barely done anything in 3 months.

2011-02-26 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Hey! On my way home from a great vacation. Cruise was fantastic. Ate too much, too !Only downside was hurting my foot on a runearly Tuesday. Not sure what happenedbut had a sharp pain on the bottom of my right foot just in front of the heel. Have not run at all since. Walking occasionally smarts a bit. I'm very worried about this since my half Mary is 3 weeks away and this is definitely going to impact my training. There's not much chance of me doing my scheduled long run tomorrow, and that will be 2 weeks without a long run. :-(on the bright side I did get in a couple good swims including a 1 mile open water. SO much harder than a pool!!!Will add more after I get home tonightMike

2011-02-26 10:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
And finally, here comes my bike.
I decided to switch my saddle, my seat post and the handle bars to go to aero bars.
I did it by myself and I'm kinda proud of me

Even if you can see that the tape is not professionnally done, I did it and that's totally fine with me

Can't wait now

2011-02-27 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3373975

User image

Athens, GA
Your bike looks great. Let me know how the areo boars work. I still think I am about a year away from getting them, but they look FAST!
2011-02-27 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Bike looks nice.
2011-02-27 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3374079

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ail - 2011-02-27 8:10 AM Your bike looks great. Let me know how the areo boars work. I still think I am about a year away from getting them, but they look FAST!

will post a report. Bike fitting in 2 weeks and by then, I hope weather will clears to be able to test this on the road

can't wait, can't wait, can't wait  
2011-02-27 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Didn't make it to my 10k this morning.  I caught my little one's cold.  Felt like crap and it was snowing, so I didn't feel like getting a full blown sickness.  

Do you think if I close my eyes, click my heels 3x's, and wish for spring, it will come?

2011-02-27 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3374218

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
playmobil31 - 2011-02-27 10:20 AM
Ail - 2011-02-27 8:10 AM Your bike looks great. Let me know how the areo boars work. I still think I am about a year away from getting them, but they look FAST!

will post a report. Bike fitting in 2 weeks and by then, I hope weather will clears to be able to test this on the road

can't wait, can't wait, can't wait  

Awesome bike and welcome to torture! I have this hope, too, and it snowed today . Not only a killer to have to shovel the AM after I get home from a sunny week, but now the roads are a total mess again.

Josh -- way to go on getting back at it!

Read  Don Fink's "Get Iron Fit" on vacation. Overall, a very interesting book. while the book focuses on full iron distance races, there are many tips and discussions reltaed to fitness, racing, and general tri knowlege which would benefit anyone. Everything is covered in a straight forward, easy to understand way. The one big thing he talks about is how all training should be focused on heart rate and time, and pretty much ignore distance. He goes as far as to advocate any iron distace race should be raced at Z2, and nothing else. He puts out 3 training plans for an IM distance race, all 30 weeks in length, and gear to competitive, itermediate, and 'just finish' racers.  There are many other things in the book, and I recommend it to any triathlete.

As for my foot, I think I hurt it while making a corner on the ships jogging path. One portion, near the bow, required a couple of quick turns and I must have stepped funny and hurt it. I was 3+ miles into a great feeling run when it flared up. It still hurts a bit today, and I don't plan on running until Wednesday. I will be getting on the trainer and swimming today/tomorrow, and give the foot time to rest. I'm hoping my prior run fitness has not regressed too much, and should all go well on Wednesday, I'll ease back into training, and still do the half mary on 3/20. We'll see!
2011-02-27 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3374312

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Boston Beginner - 2011-02-27 11:48 AM

Didn't make it to my 10k this morning.  I caught my little one's cold.  Felt like crap and it was snowing, so I didn't feel like getting a full blown sickness.  

Do you think if I close my eyes, click my heels 3x's, and wish for spring, it will come?

Good lord, I hope so.  I'll try it, too!
2011-02-27 3:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
I know I'm ready for Spring! I am really getting sick of the trainer in the basement! and I would really like to get in the pond before my HIM in June, but at this rate I don't know if the ice will break soon enough?

Nice bike Alex!

Mike welcome back, sorry it was to snow? Good luck on the foot injury.

Ail, If it were me, I would go for the race? but then again I am the person that decided it was a good idea to jump into a HIM after my first sprint! Take it easy and and do't push to hard.

Our masters coach must have been in a foul mood when she wrote out our training for today, 3600 yd work out! only had time for 3000, I am beat.
2011-02-28 10:42 AM

User image

Athens, GA
I have signed up for the 10k.  I ran 5.8 miles on Saturday, felt good, slow pace, but what do I expect. I hope to not be the last one, but do not really care. Just looking froward to saying I did a 10k! Also got cycling shoes finally, did 11 miles yesterday and did not fall. I love having simple goals!  Hope you all have a good week. Maybe the snowfall will not be that bad up north.  (My mom is up in BTV babysitting my niece, so I get a report each day on the weather) How I miss snow! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38