BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2012-06-30 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4128570

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!
Question: I'm considering doing an Oly 8 days before my HIM. My plan calls for an hour swim, an hour ride and a 30 minute run. The Oly will take me about 40 minute swim, 1:15 bike, and hour run so pretty close except for the run. Thoughts?

2012-07-01 7:38 AM
in reply to: #4288720

User image

Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!
Question about nutrition during HIM.  Reading the athlete guide it sounds like the bike and run aid stations have goo, water, salty stuff etc.  Can I rely on this?  or is it better to bring your own?
2012-07-01 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4288936

User image

Master
St. Louis
You can rely on what is on the course if you practice with it. Buy the exact brand and favors that will be on the course to make sure your stomach can handle the.Check out how many calories you need and practice taking in that many.You can find a couple links here http://blog.ransick.org/2011/04/nola-nutrition-failure.htmland here http://www.portmancalculator.com/. I find it difficult to take in enough calories on the bike and I find it difficult to practice since you really don't need any calories for workouts under two hours and there really aren't that many workouts over two hours training for a HIM.
2012-07-01 11:28 AM

New user
Wauwatosa, WI

Hey Todd, I rode the Racine bike course yesterday, and wanted to share my thoughts.

It was a great ride. There are some bumps in in the first 4 miles, but it gets better. I guess I'm used to riding on Wisconsin roads. My only problem was after the water stop at mile 38, I started riding with a different group and ended up riding 72 miles instead of 56 Frown.  I'm glad that I did the recon ride, so I have an idea of where I'm going. I will drive the course the Saturday before as a refresher. Having said that, this is a fast course with not too many hills.

Afterwards, I went for a swim in Lake Michigan and it was cold!!! (maybe low 60's) I had trouble keeping my face in the water, although after a 1/2 hour, it did get a little bit better. I'm planning on getting in the water at least 30 minutes before my swim to acclimate. I really hope it warms up a little bit.

For anyone else who is racing Racine, there is another great forum under Iron Race Distance, Racine 70.3.  I've picked up a lot of good info.

All in all, a good day!

Rob (turner100)

2012-07-01 5:59 PM
in reply to: #4288720

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

ransick - 2012-06-30 9:37 PM Question: I'm considering doing an Oly 8 days before my HIM. My plan calls for an hour swim, an hour ride and a 30 minute run. The Oly will take me about 40 minute swim, 1:15 bike, and hour run so pretty close except for the run. Thoughts?

Which race is more important to you? The HIM? If so I would not do the Oly. I shelled myself on a 5k that set me back quite a bit, and I would have been in trouble for a longer race the next weekend. You cannot discount the toll that a high intensity, shorter distance can take on your body.

However, like our fearless leader, Dave, I am a race 'ho, so I get wanting to race as much as possible...so if they are both for fun and you will be happier having had both race experiences, I can't argue with that either...

Let us know what you decide. If you do the Oly, good news is the swim is disproportionately long and you can take it easy on the bike and the run and at least get a good dress rehearsal for nutrition and pacing for the HIM.

Q

2012-07-01 6:13 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

trei - 2012-07-01 7:38 AM Question about nutrition during HIM.  Reading the athlete guide it sounds like the bike and run aid stations have goo, water, salty stuff etc.  Can I rely on this?  or is it better to bring your own?

Mike is right, you need to either plan to bring all your own stuff, or live off of the course, or a combo of both. Both strategies take some foresight and planning. If you bring your own stuff, you must figure out a way to keep it with you and access it when you want it. This is where you see people with ginormous hydration systems and pockets full of gu's and power bars and such. Problem here is if you lose a waterbottle full of your precious mixture of whatever, what are you going to do (And as we are hearing Racine is bumpy and you stand a good chance of losing something off of your bike). Unlike full IM, there are no special needs bags on the course, so what you leave transition with is what you have.

If you live off of the course, then you need to make sure you can stomach what they have. Which is, if I remember correctly, Ironman perform, Power Bar Gels, and possibly Power Bars...I cannot remember ever seeing power bars on the course though, so I can't be sure. last year I trained with all of that, except the actual power bars so I was certain I could tolerate it. 

My exceptions to living off of the course were a gel flask with gu and some water mixed up so I could safely and easily get gu's in on the bike. I had a hell of a time trying to eat a gu in my Oly last year, and someone in my mentor group suggested the flask. Worked like a charm.  I also had a clif bar in my back pocket just in case I got hungry. But if I lost my gel flask, I knew I could tolerate the course brand. 

You also need to think about bottle exchanges on the bike. Don't leave transition with a nice water bottle because you will want to toss yours and get a new one in the bottle exchanges. They offer bottles of water and bottles of ironman perfom. The volunteers hold them out, and you need to slow down, pick a volunteer out, look them in the eye, call out what you are taking (Perform!) and hold your hand out to get the bottle. I would take a bottle of perform and empty it into my aero bottle and put a bottle of water into my frame cage (I only have one on my bike). You have to make sure to toss any empties before you leave the aide station or you can get a penalty.

This whole thing is worth visualizing. Also you really need to slow down and be in control of your bike so you don't scare the volunteer or the bottle will probably get dropped.

For the run, there is so much crap on the course, I would definitely live off of the aide stations. I wore my water belt b/c it was eleventy billion degrees and it just annoyed me. They have bananas, flat coke, perform, water, can't remember all else, but plenty.

Just have a plan one way or the other. Based on your questions, it sounds like you need to train at least once with some Ironman Perform and Power Bar Gels. If those work for you, it would be simplest to just live off of the course. No need to complicate your life.

2012-07-01 6:17 PM
in reply to: #4289118

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Turner100 - 2012-07-01 11:28 AM

Hey Todd, I rode the Racine bike course yesterday, and wanted to share my thoughts.

It was a great ride. There are some bumps in in the first 4 miles, but it gets better. I guess I'm used to riding on Wisconsin roads. My only problem was after the water stop at mile 38, I started riding with a different group and ended up riding 72 miles instead of 56 Frown.  I'm glad that I did the recon ride, so I have an idea of where I'm going. I will drive the course the Saturday before as a refresher. Having said that, this is a fast course with not too many hills.

Afterwards, I went for a swim in Lake Michigan and it was cold!!! (maybe low 60's) I had trouble keeping my face in the water, although after a 1/2 hour, it did get a little bit better. I'm planning on getting in the water at least 30 minutes before my swim to acclimate. I really hope it warms up a little bit.

For anyone else who is racing Racine, there is another great forum under Iron Race Distance, Racine 70.3.  I've picked up a lot of good info.

All in all, a good day!

Rob (turner100)

Thanks Rob, I saw your post in the racine thread...it looks like I might be doing it with my husband, so we will have to try to meet up...Todd, Matt, you, me...anyone else I am missing? Hoping it is not AFRICA hot this year. Sheesh.

2012-07-01 8:49 PM
in reply to: #4289474

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-07-01 5:59 PM

ransick - 2012-06-30 9:37 PM Question: I'm considering doing an Oly 8 days before my HIM. My plan calls for an hour swim, an hour ride and a 30 minute run. The Oly will take me about 40 minute swim, 1:15 bike, and hour run so pretty close except for the run. Thoughts?

Which race is more important to you? The HIM? If so I would not do the Oly. I shelled myself on a 5k that set me back quite a bit, and I would have been in trouble for a longer race the next weekend. You cannot discount the toll that a high intensity, shorter distance can take on your body.

However, like our fearless leader, Dave, I am a race 'ho, so I get wanting to race as much as possible...so if they are both for fun and you will be happier having had both race experiences, I can't argue with that either...

I have had mostly good luck doing just what you are attempting.  If you want to see crazy stuff check out my 2010 race year after recovering from an Achilles tear.    Athlinks http://athlinks.com/racer/37874054#wall

I will say that when you are fit it's a tough thing to really realize how much better you could do by being properly tapered and rested.     I really love racing and the experiences it brings.   But this being said  I absolutely sacrificed results by racing too much.     But I DID love it.  So kinda hard to tell you what to do.   Q  is right,  you will not know or feel the difference,     But there will be one.   You will not race as well at door county if you do the Oly.  But you may not care.    In either case looking forward to getting together  in Door county.  :-)

Let us know what you decide. If you do the Oly, good news is the swim is disproportionately long and you can take it easy on the bike and the run and at least get a good dress rehearsal for nutrition and pacing for the HIM.

Q

2012-07-01 8:52 PM
in reply to: #4289499

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-07-01 6:17 PM

All in all, a good day!

Rob (turner100)

Thanks Rob, I saw your post in the racine thread...it looks like I might be doing it with my husband, so we will have to try to meet up...Todd, Matt, you, me...anyone else I am missing? Hoping it is not AFRICA hot this year. Sheesh.

Awesome you are going to race Racine Q!   Happy for you!       Wish I was racing there as well and getting to meet y'all

2012-07-01 9:06 PM
in reply to: #4289494

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-07-01 6:13 PM

trei - 2012-07-01 7:38 AM Question about nutrition during HIM.  Reading the athlete guide it sounds like the bike and run aid stations have goo, water, salty stuff etc.  Can I rely on this?  or is it better to bring your own?

Mike is right, you need to either plan to bring all your own stuff, or live off of the course, or a combo of both. Both strategies take some foresight and planning. If you bring your own stuff, you must figure out a way to keep it with you and access it when you want it. This is where you see people with ginormous hydration systems and pockets full of gu's and power bars and such. Problem here is if you lose a waterbottle full of your precious mixture of whatever, what are you going to do (And as we are hearing Racine is bumpy and you stand a good chance of losing something off of your bike). Unlike full IM, there are no special needs bags on the course, so what you leave transition with is what you have.

I typically will start with a couple of bottles of INFINIT  can't get this on the course.   otherwise I absolutely like to live off the course.    Anything you bring is an added complexity you mostly do not need.   Just ask yourself  what it is that you have to have that is not going to be on the course.   For me that's  endurlyte tabs and Infinit.   Add some Gu's taped to the top tube and I'm good to go.     Like Q says  I put the infinit in bottles I know I'm going to toss on the course.    Then on the bike I will alternate taking perform and plain water from volunteers.  Make sure to point at the volunteer you plan on making the exchange with.  That helps   don't be shy either.    I will sometimes take two bottles at an aide station.  One just to pour over my head and clean my sunglasses with.      Some peeps just cannot tolerate what is available at an aide station.    for me I'm lucky  for the most part I can burn just about anything.

If you live off of the course, then you need to make sure you can stomach what they have. Which is, if I remember correctly, Ironman perform, Power Bar Gels, and possibly Power Bars...I cannot remember ever seeing power bars on the course though, so I can't be sure. last year I trained with all of that, except the actual power bars so I was certain I could tolerate it. 

My exceptions to living off of the course were a gel flask with gu and some water mixed up so I could safely and easily get gu's in on the bike. I had a hell of a time trying to eat a gu in my Oly last year, and someone in my mentor group suggested the flask. Worked like a charm.  I also had a clif bar in my back pocket just in case I got hungry. But if I lost my gel flask, I knew I could tolerate the course brand. 

I like the gel flask thing I'm going to try it

You also need to think about bottle exchanges on the bike. Don't leave transition with a nice water bottle because you will want to toss yours and get a new one in the bottle exchanges. They offer bottles of water and bottles of ironman perfom. The volunteers hold them out, and you need to slow down, pick a volunteer out, look them in the eye, call out what you are taking (Perform!) and hold your hand out to get the bottle. I would take a bottle of perform and empty it into my aero bottle and put a bottle of water into my frame cage (I only have one on my bike). You have to make sure to toss any empties before you leave the aide station or you can get a penalty.

This whole thing is worth visualizing. Also you really need to slow down and be in control of your bike so you don't scare the volunteer or the bottle will probably get dropped.

For the run, there is so much crap on the course, I would definitely live off of the aide stations. I wore my water belt b/c it was eleventy billion degrees and it just annoyed me. They have bananas, flat coke, perform, water, can't remember all else, but plenty.

Did you just say eleventy billion!    HA!

Just have a plan one way or the other. Based on your questions, it sounds like you need to train at least once with some Ironman Perform and Power Bar Gels. If those work for you, it would be simplest to just live off of the course. No need to complicate your life.

Absolutely agree  living off course is the bomb.    steal a GU from a spectator if you have to even.   Not that I would   ;-)

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-07-01 9:07 PM
2012-07-02 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4289118

User image

All in all, a good day!

Rob (turner100)

Rob,  thanks for the info.  I think your idea of driving the bike course on Saturday is a good one that I will add to my itinerary for the day.  I will also want to get in the water early Sunday too.  I'll be driving from Waterford, so it will be a early start.  Hopefully I'll be awake.

2012-07-02 8:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

It sounds like there are some big races coming up!! So, is this right so far:

Racine HIM: Todd, Rob, and Quincy

Missoula Half marathon: TJ

Any other races coming up...please post so we can cheer you on!! I don't have anything in the near future, but I did just sign up for the Austin HIM in October. I'm on week four of the 20 week training plan, but I sort of skipped the first two weeks...oh well!!

2012-07-02 8:33 PM
in reply to: #4289494

User image

quincyf - 2012-07-01 6:13 PM

You also need to think about bottle exchanges on the bike.

I didn't know this, thanks

Don't leave transition with a nice water bottle because you will want to toss yours and get a new one in the bottle exchanges. They offer bottles of water and bottles of ironman perfom. The volunteers hold them out, and you need to slow down, pick a volunteer out, look them in the eye, call out what you are taking (Perform!) and hold your hand out to get the bottle. I would take a bottle of perform and empty it into my aero bottle and put a bottle of water into my frame cage (I only have one on my bike). You have to make sure to toss any empties before you leave the aide station or you can get a penalty.

This whole thing is worth visualizing.

2012-07-02 8:51 PM
in reply to: #4291659

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sarah73 - 2012-07-02 8:28 PM

Any other races coming up...please post so we can cheer you on!! I don't have anything in the near future, but I did just sign up for the Austin HIM in October. I'm on week four of the 20 week training plan, but I sort of skipped the first two weeks...oh well!!

Yes Sarah great thought    let's keep adding to the upcoming race list.

July 8th  Missoula half mary-   TJ        Lake Zurich Oly- Dave

July 15   Racine 70.3   Todd, Rob and Quincy   (Matt are you doing this?)

July 22    Sprint tri- need name!  -Alicia        Door County 70.3 -Mike and  Dave

July 22    NJ sprint  -Tom

Sept 9   Ironman-WI - Quincy

Oct- Austin 70.3    Sarah

Oct 7   Chicago Marathon-   Quincy, Alicia, Dave

Let's keep editing this list and add everyone's events to it    I for one could use a ton of cheering on.   so let's do this thing..   Don't be shy 

2012-07-02 9:06 PM
in reply to: #4291695

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-07-02 9:51 PM

July 22    Sprint tri- need name!  -Alicia        Door County 70.3 -Mike and  Dave

Let's keep editing this list and add everyone's events to it    I for one could use a ton of cheering on.   so let's do this thing..   Don't be shy 

GO ORIOLEPWR GO!  Think of Flash Gordon ---  GO, FLASH, GO  Come on Bro, you can do it!

My sprint race is July 21 and I'm voluteering for the Oly on the 22nd, both are part of CGI NJ state Tri event.   I'm also volunteering the the NYC TRI (OLY) this sunday, I'm so psyched.  I'm working the entrance to Central Park, should be a blast (not counting the heat LOL)

Tom

2012-07-03 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4291695

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
oriolepwr - 2012-07-02 8:51 PM

Morning All

As far as the race set for the rest of the year for me I only have one left (as of now).  Naperville Sprint Tri on 05 AUG.  I am looking into the Chicago HAlf Mary in Sept and also I saw that TriRock open Lake Geneva in September.  Anyone have input on Lake Geneva for Tri's?  My only times up there consisted of drinking and BBQ'ing. 

DAVE, any suggestions for a good race in September?

Edited by mjh1975 2012-07-03 10:19 AM

2012-07-03 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

Hi everyone! Sounds like everyone is doing fantastic!

I have busy at home with my crazy husband who decided our 75 gallon reef acquarium was too small so he has been building a 300 gallon one!! now it is done so we were moving all the critters over and of course...getting more ;-) will post pics soon!!

Still fighting with PF...I have the following races coming up....

July 7th...1 mile ocean swim race...it won't be a race for me but I love doing it every year as it is mostly all the life guards and triathletes around the area....and slow me...lol! but I looooooooooove it ;-)

July 22...sprint tri

Oct 5th...Chicago Marathon...I may have to do it on my eye lashes if PF does not let me run soon...

Maybe....Half IM in November in Miami (lake swim which is not my preference or Half IM in January in Key West!!!...anybody interested? it will be a blast!!!!

Keep the races coming!

Happy 4th of July!

Alicia

2012-07-03 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Missoula

Added a couple of races. Looks like we will all be training hard in August, but not much racing.

July 14   Zootown Sprint - TJ  

July 15   Racine 70.3   Todd, Rob and Quincy   (Matt are you doing this?)

Sept 8    Garden City Oly - TJ

Edited by Lesandtj 2012-07-03 12:05 PM
2012-07-03 6:06 PM
in reply to: #4292807

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Lesandtj - 2012-07-03 12:04 PM

Added a couple of races. Looks like we will all be training hard in August, but not much racing.

July 15   Racine 70.3   Todd, Rob and Quincy   

July 28   South Shore Tri (sprint) - Quincy (Dave???)

August 26  Chicago Tri (sprint) - Dave, Quincy

OMG, I finally got babysitting figured out plus my confidence to do the swim, and BLAM, Racine sold out! Can you believe it??? I might take the kids up to spectate though...who knows.

2012-07-04 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4293609

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-07-03 6:06 PM
Lesandtj - 2012-07-03 12:04 PM

July 15   Racine 70.3   Todd, Rob and Quincy   

July 28   South Shore Tri (sprint) - Quincy (Dave???)

August 26  Chicago Tri (sprint) - Dave, Quincy

OMG, I finally got babysitting figured out plus my confidence to do the swim, and BLAM, Racine sold out! Can you believe it??? I might take the kids up to spectate though...who knows.

Ah Q  ugh   How frustrating.  :-(    

I see there are still transfers available for Door.    Maybe spectate/Cheer Chris at Racine  then race with me and Mike at Door County??   Expensive last minute option I know,  but would be a blast and you would get your Half Iron in.      COme to think of it,  what would be a true maniacal thing to do is for Chris to race BOTH!  ha   two 70.3 in 2 weeks.     Bring on Ironman huh!   C-R-A-Z-Y     but maybe in a good way?

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-07-04 12:30 PM
2012-07-04 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
I'll be right back folks.   Gonna do a lil 3 miler in the triple digit heat.     If you don't hear from me in a bit, send help.   ;-)

2012-07-04 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4294362

User image

O.K. Apparently I have caught the insanity, but does anyone else hate the taper?  Feels like I'm slacking.  Although with the heat it seems to have come at the right time.
2012-07-04 8:22 PM
in reply to: #4294673

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

trei - 2012-07-04 7:32 PM O.K. Apparently I have caught the insanity, but does anyone else hate the taper?  Feels like I'm slacking.  Although with the heat it seems to have come at the right time.

Taper is no fun.  and in the last few days  all the "ghost" injuries come out to play.    Everything starts top hurt and you imagine you won't be able to go the distance.     Just remember it's all to be expected.   

Nothing crazy this weekend ok? 

2012-07-04 8:56 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Happy 4th to you all! 

update:

Bones/dog/drama

We have mostly recovered from our experience re:Bones and the incident.     Many thanks for the kind words.   We have thought a lot about this and have decided to go ahead and get another dog.  

What we have settled on is a Viszla.   it's another dog that LOVES to run.   After researching and talking with the breeder etc.  We have put a deposit on a pup that was born last week.   He is a pure bred,  but was born with a broken tail that needs to be docked.  This being the case he cannot be shown, and thus comes at a discount.  :-)     It will be a long wait (Mid August) for him to grow till he can come home with us.  Then we will get to deal with all that comes with raising a puppy.   

My work project that looked to make it impossible for me to go to my Half Iron in Door County is now 1 week ahead of schedule  so this means we are GOING to Door!   oh yaaaaaaa.     So I booked the hotel finally.   Now we're all set   well except for the me being in shape to actually race a 70.3        To that end  I registered for an olympic tri  in Lake Zurich for this Sunday.  I hope to improve on my Bigfoot results.     

My toe joint still kills me every step I take but have decided to run on it anyhow and simply to not let it affect what I do or do not do for this year.     I wont be doing any damage to it.    Later I'll get a steroid shot in it to help as I ramp up mileage for the Chicago Mary.       Hurts when I walk.  Hurts more when I run. Damn it its just going to hurt... 

See the reality is I feel I have more pain from NOT running on it.  The feeling of not being a runner hurts me more mentally ( I know it shouldn't  but it does)   than the pain.     I just do not want to give in to it any longer.  

What else?  its hot  freaking hot  HOT.   oh man every day, day after day.   And my A/C is not working in the Jeep.  ya I could have fixed it,  still can.   but well I haven't.   

Oh yeah  I ordered a Garmin 910XT   I have struggled with using diff watch setups for tri  and usually they dont work.  been using a Garmin 405 which works great for running  but have been putting it on in T1 since can't swim with it,  and this takes up time and the thing usually gets wet and wont respond.   So getting the new watch.   But I ordered it cheap form a no name place and I don't think it will arrive in time for Sunday's oly.   oh well.   one last time using the old method.

so there ya go

2012-07-04 9:21 PM
in reply to: #4294711

User image

Master
St. Louis
oriolepwr - 2012-07-04 8:22 PM

trei - 2012-07-04 7:32 PM O.K. Apparently I have caught the insanity, but does anyone else hate the taper?  Feels like I'm slacking.  Although with the heat it seems to have come at the right time.

Taper is no fun.  and in the last few days  all the "ghost" injuries come out to play.    Everything starts top hurt and you imagine you won't be able to go the distance.     Just remember it's all to be expected.   

Nothing crazy this weekend ok? 

Totally agree with this. I've only really tapered a couple times and each time there are all kinds of new aches, pains and niggles that make you think you are done. I even get that feeling on some recovery weeks these days. Don't fret, it is your body healing up all the cumulative damage you've done so you can be strong on race day.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  

of 51