BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2013-02-18 8:04 AM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.

Hey there group!

Steve, so glad you are back, but moreso that you are OK.  Those situations with the kids/young adults are tough.  It's not always as clear cut as it sounds.  Have seen it played out from the other side with some dear friends whose son has Asbergers.  Glad you are seeing a 2nd ortho.  It's tough to have injuries to rehab, and even tougher if the path to rehabbing it is not readily apparent. 

Thanks for the input on race pace.  I will have to digest those thoughts...maybe try landing somewhere in the middle.  To complicate things, as of yesterday, I have a *&$% cold!  Haven't been sick all winter.  On the plus side, I have 6 days to get over it, so eating zinc lozenges, drinking airborne, etc.  Runs are to be short this week, so will play it by ear as to whether to bag any of them completely.

Samantha, that's great you heard from Ceril!  Tell her to give me a shout if she has a chance.  Would love to hear from her.  Sounds like you will be well inspired on that trainer ride!

Pam, TK is our group member from the other side of the world, right?  TK, you need to hop on and tell us about your upcoming race!

Mike, is the snow gone yet?  Yes, plans were made for adjusting

Jay, good job on the diet, and working it with your wife.  I don't think it's foolish to be bummed, it just is.  Not good to get stuck there for too long, but I have a feeling that won't happen with you.

2013-02-18 8:14 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Happy Presidents' Day everyone. With a nice push from Steve, I'm getting back on track and starting out the week with a great 2950 yard swim and then a nice 30 minute run. Feel great. Part of my swim was a 1 mile time trial to get a seed time for a swim meet next month. Managed a 27:47 mile and hope to get into the 25:xx for the meet.
2013-02-18 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Nice workouts Mike!  Speaking of the 1 mile time trial, Stu, you out there?

Any thoughts on increasing my chances of kicking this cold to the curb sooner rather than later?  Was only planning to run 5/4/4 this week, then walk/run the 5K Saturday, marathon Sunday.  Cut 5 miler short at 3 this morning...just felt like breathing was too labored for the pace.  Think I should skip tomorrow's run and just rest or ???

2013-02-18 7:13 PM
in reply to: #4626898

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
squirt - 2013-02-18 12:56 PM

Nice workouts Mike!  Speaking of the 1 mile time trial, Stu, you out there?

Any thoughts on increasing my chances of kicking this cold to the curb sooner rather than later?  Was only planning to run 5/4/4 this week, then walk/run the 5K Saturday, marathon Sunday.  Cut 5 miler short at 3 this morning...just felt like breathing was too labored for the pace.  Think I should skip tomorrow's run and just rest or ???

Sweetie, I'm not sure and would love for Steve to weigh in.  My thoughts would be to see how you feel tomorrow and listen to your body.  Give it a try and if it's a major breathing struggle, turn in and recover.  I'm someone that believes it's better to go easier and be race-ready then to power thru and then be dead on race day.  But I know that Jay would disagree with me.  {Sorry Jay, I just had to do it.}

I'm so sorry!!!!  Hope you feel better soon.

Oh for the crunch challenge, I'm 49 for 49.  I'm definitely going to do my best to go 100% for March but I'm gonna have to cut out after that.  I'm thinking about continuing with a crunch challenge after that but I'm thinking 250 a week - or maybe 333.  I'll have to see closer to time.  But man, I'm dreading the 90 a day.  I've been doing 75 a day for the last few days and I'm beginning to hurt.

2013-02-19 12:28 AM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
Sorry I have in or kept up with the group. I have taken a new position at work so things have been hectic. Needless to say it has taken its toll on my works outs. Also went camping this past weekend with the family. 40 days to go so no more slacking. I am getting more and more respect for the hard work everyone does to put in all these hours. 
2013-02-19 12:45 AM

User image

Veteran

One movie, one episode of Biggest Loser and several youtube videos later...50 mile trainer ride - done! Wasn't as bad as last week. Took me 3:31 to complete it, not including a few breaks that aren't added in to the time. I think the whole process was more like 4hrs. Oh well. If the weather continues on its current trend I'll be getting outside soon. I'm curious to see if outside improves my bodies achiness because the trainer rides are causing havoc on my back and hips. If I stop pedaling I stop getting done. At least outside I can coast for a bit or enjoy the downhills, stand up a bit. I sure hope I'll be a stronger outdoor biker after all this.

So I talked with a friend the other day and he asked if I would be interested in doing an event called the "Tough Mudder". Have y'all heard of it? Check out the website if you haven't: http://toughmudder.com/. It looks pretty intense and I'm sorta interested, but want to know if it is too soon after my IM. The one we would sign up for is in Seattle on October 5th and 6th. I would have to be recovered and train to be ready for a very different physical challenge. Thoughts?

I'm gonna sleep now. Happy Tuesday!

2013-02-19 7:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Pam: I love the dig and I should mention that you DID get my POV correct!

Samantha: I've heard of the Tough Mudder.  God willing, my wife and I are doing the Spartan Race in August.  Its similar to the Tough Mudder....my wife just gravitated to that race more!

I'm patiently waiting until 3PM EST for my doctors visit...I'm expecting I'll be sent to do an MRI and if you gave me truth syrum...I expect that to reveal I tore it pretty good....but I suspect any MRI I do won't be read for a week at a minimum.  Here's to hoping I'm VERY wrong about my outlook!

Happy Tuesday all.

2013-02-19 7:19 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Ahh, yes, the crunch challenge.  Thanks for the reminder Pam!  And I'm with you...I will not be going beyond the 90/day that are on tap for March.  Too much of a good thing is not a good thing! 

Who else?  You know the drill...cut paste, add your totals.

Pam -- 49/49

Carol -- 48/49 (skipped yesterday)

2013-02-19 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4627893

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
squirt - 2013-02-19 7:19 AM

Ahh, yes, the crunch challenge.  Thanks for the reminder Pam!  And I'm with you...I will not be going beyond the 90/day that are on tap for March.  Too much of a good thing is not a good thing! 

Who else?  You know the drill...cut paste, add your totals.

Pam -- 49/49

Carol -- 48/49 (skipped yesterday)

Ken -- 49/49  

2013-02-19 7:39 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Samantha, awesome job on the trainer ride!  I can't help but think that all the trainer miles will make you stronger, both physically and mentally, once you get outside.  Would you recommend Premium Rush?  A group of guys from our church did the Tough Mudder.  They were all fairly young, but not in particularly good shape.  I think it's more about team work than peak fitness.  If you come off your IM, rest up, and then maintain any semblance of fitness after that I think you will be fine.

Brian, congrats on the new job, and great to hear from you!  Yes, race date looming is a great motivator .

Jay, praying for your doc appt this afternoon.  The waiting is the hardest part.  At least you and Steve can compare ortho notes. 

Pam, awesome job on the crunch challenge.  You are a machine!  So what is up next for you?

I'm going with Pam's advice today...no run...full blown cold is upon me, so not sure if I could anyway.  Jay, I may need to come back to you for a "suck it up and go for it" pep talk come Sunday though.  If all goes well, this cold should blow over, and any prayers in that regard are much appreciated.  Trying to stay positive, but the occasional image of a DNS flashes through my mind and makes me want to cry.        

2013-02-19 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Carol -- lots of good wishes and 'go away cold' thoughts headed your way. You're too close to this, and have worked too hard to have this get derailed. you'll be spectacular in this race!

Off for a run in a bit. Nice sunny day here and I have the day off, so despite a bit of lingering soreness from yesterday's workouts, I'm going to do a good 4+ miler.

Samantha -- 50 miles on the trainer is quite the accomplishment - great work and congrats on not going mad while doing it.

2013-02-19 12:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Great job Samantha on your 50 mile trainer ride.  You must have the patience of Job.  I am not sure if I could do it.  

Carol, I really hope you feel better.  Rest is the best recipe.  Remember this week will not make your marathon, but it could definitely break it if you get injured or do not get proper rest.  

Mike,  Hope you have a nice run.  Be careful with all the wintry weather.  Hopefully all is melted and you have sunshine.  

Jay, Best wishes on your doctor's visit.  I know the anxiety is just about peaked now.  

Brian, Nice to hear from you.  Glad to hear about the job.  

Today, I had a really sluggish swim and a core/strength workout.  I am hoping that I will not have heavy legs again.  

2013-02-19 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Run is done - tried a new route today and it clocked in just a few steps short of 4 miles. Felt like I had 2 cement columns attached to my hips with shoes on the end. I guess it is good to struggle at times, so I paid some dues with this today. weather turned overcast, cold, and windy about 10 minutes after my sunny start. Its odd living so close to the ocean - this happens all the time. Tomorrow is some swimming & biking.

Anyone here using Trainer Road? I don't recall if I asked before, but it seems like a cool, fun tool to have for the time spent on the trainer.
2013-02-19 4:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Thanks for the well wishes everyone.  Unfortunately, its worst case scenario.  I tore it completely and I'm expected to have surgery in the next few weeks.  I just need to figure out how things work with my employer (Commonwealth of Ma.) before I schedule a date.

I guess I have a high threshhold for pain...some good that's doing me now.  I've already cried my eyes in frustration and disbelief.  I don't know what else to type...but I figured I at least owed everyone the results.

2013-02-19 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Jay, I'm so sorry!  Very tough news.  You will be back, but geez, it is just hard right now.  Did the doc give you any idea on recovery time?
2013-02-19 7:13 PM
in reply to: #4628987

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
medeiros13 - 2013-02-19 5:00 PM

Thanks for the well wishes everyone.  Unfortunately, its worst case scenario.  I tore it completely and I'm expected to have surgery in the next few weeks.  I just need to figure out how things work with my employer (Commonwealth of Ma.) before I schedule a date.

I guess I have a high threshhold for pain...some good that's doing me now.  I've already cried my eyes in frustration and disbelief.  I don't know what else to type...but I figured I at least owed everyone the results.

Oh that blows.  I'm crying for you.  Jay, you will come back from this and I bet you will be stronger, faster, and better.  But I know that the time out will suck and I'm just so sorry for you!

2013-02-19 7:15 PM
in reply to: #4628987

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.
medeiros13 - 2013-02-19 2:00 PM

So sorry Jay!! Heal quickly!!!

2013-02-19 8:00 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois

Jay - Wishing you the speediest of recoveries! Hopefully you can swim in the meantime while really sticking to that diet with your wife. We are all here for ya! Keep up the hard work you have started and keep the healthy lifestyles going! You'll be back training and we will all be here to help you in whatever way needed.

Steve - Good to hear from you! Keep those kids safe and continue to heal!

Carol - hoping you can lie low for a couple days and ditch the cold.

Samantha - anyone that can tolerate 2-3 hours or more on the trainer while still maintaining their sanity is freekin' amazing! I don't know how you do it. My mind is filled with a bagillion excuses to quit after 30 minutes. Kudos for not giving into the demons.Keep up the hard work everyone else.

Ken, Mike, Kate thanks for posting about your workouts here. I definitely stay motivated when I see all the great training you are putting in.

I'm super jealous of all you southerners right now. This snow every day and the up and down temperatures is really starting to make me look forward to spring. I went for an outdoor run with my wife on Saturday and she was nearly in tears at the end of four miles because she was so cold. We both thought we would warm up after running a bit, but ended up shuffling on ice and shivering our behinds off. Definitely wont be running outside with temps in the teens and all the ice on sidewalks. Oh well! Round and round round and round and round and round the indoor track I will run.

Take care everybody!

Edited by Antwonathon 2013-02-19 8:32 PM
2013-02-19 9:51 PM

User image

Veteran

Jay - all I know to say is....wait, I don't know what to say. But I'm sure sorry and will believe for you that this will work itself out and there is a season for everything and that is preparing you for what will come. We will be all the support to you that we can be! In the meantime, guess you will learn about eating and swimmming.

I have a confession: The trainer is my permission to watch more t.v., movies and videos, and listen to lots of music. I don't love riding on the trainer, but it kind of works for me. Plus I always remember Steve telling me about his 100 mile trainer ride and the buffet he had to go with it. Plus I dont' have lots of other options at this point, but I appreciate all the kudos from you guys bceause it is so encouraging.

Finished my 10 mile run today without falling over dead. It was a hard run to get through. I may have been under-fueled; it may be I was tired from yesterday's bike and less hours of sleep than I prefer. About three miles in I decided the best goal I could set for the rest of the run was "do not walk". So no matter how slow I had to go I did not walk. it also decided to rain/snow and by the end I was pretty wet. It's done!

Carol - I swear by NyQuil. Whenever I get sick I take it and, if possible, sleep until I wake up. Usually within a couple nights I good. I'm praying this is just part of your recovery and it will blow over in time for your race. Sleep, sleep, sleep. WAter, water, water. NyQuil! That is all :D

Anthony - running around a track would be like death to me. Give me the trainer any day. What were you and your wife wearing for your run? Wool is amazing stuff and you can get really nice base layer wool shirts, wool socks, even wool long underwear. Because they are a natural material, and the fibers are like porous, when they get wet they don't really feel cold against your skin. If you are wearing synthetic (polyester) it is very cold cause it's basically plastic. Then a nice wind breaker for your upper body especially to keep the core warm and having wind break from your legs can be nice so they don't get so cold. The other key is to not over layer and sweat. You might already know all this. Happy running!

2013-02-20 7:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Good morning everyone!

A night sleep has certainly helped my outlook for better or for worse.  Like all of you, I don't have answers as to why this happened...but that's okay.  I've already contacted the RD for the Patriot Half and they have kindly refunded me my registration fee.  My wife suggested that I volunteer for the New Bedford Half Marathon (the race I run for SMA) and I thought that was a good idea.  I've asked the RD, if he'd consider donating my reg fee to that charity in exchange for me volunteering (assuming I'm physically able of course)  These things seem like the right things to do in my heart so I'm going with it.  In the meantime, I'm on day 2 of the keto diet and that's going okay.  Tonight, my kiddies play in the 2nd round of the Holiday basketball tournament against a team we lost to in the last seconds the last time we played.

I'm trying to get in touch with HR to get the paperwork going for my leave.  The doctor told me they'd bump others to get me in to have surgery...so I'd like to get in this week to get started.  Everything I've researched says no weight on it for 8 weeks and then PT after.  I'll ask the doctor about swimming and lifting weights but my mind suspects I'm on glorified bed rest.  I'm hopeful I maybe able to get into a few August races this season.  Ironically, my comeback race may end up being the Spartan Race with my wife...which was supposed to be a throwaway race for my season.

Once again, I'd like to let you all know I appreciate your support and encouragement.  It means a lot that a group that has only known me for a month on an online forum can show the empathy and support you have.

2013-02-20 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4627778

User image

Expert
anthalynn - 2013-02-19 1:45 AM

So I talked with a friend the other day and he asked if I would be interested in doing an event called the "Tough Mudder". Have y'all heard of it? Check out the website if you haven't: http://toughmudder.com/. It looks pretty intense and I'm sorta interested, but want to know if it is too soon after my IM. The one we would sign up for is in Seattle on October 5th and 6th. I would have to be recovered and train to be ready for a very different physical challenge. Thoughts?

I'm gonna sleep now. Happy Tuesday!

I did the Tough Mudder a year ago. It was a fun been there and done that, but, very risky for injury. lot's of climbs with no support. I saw lot's of women carried off in the med cart. There were a few obstacles I refused to do. It was fun, but I'd never do it in an IM year. 

2013-02-20 8:30 AM

User image

Expert

Jay: so sorry to hear about your injury. I tore my ALC several years ago and had to have surgery. Ouch.

I did a lot of swimming during my recovery.

Hang in there. It won't be forever. 

2013-02-20 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Jay -- that is awful. Hope all is well with the surgery & recovery. Sorry to see you won't be at Patriot, but its great they refunded your entry fee.

Carol -- how you feeling today? Hope you woke up feeling great.

Wife & Kids will be out of town for a few days starting tomorrow, so lots of time to get training in.
2013-02-20 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Kate, sorry you had the ACL surgery, but nice you might be able to share some experience with Jay.  I agree w/ you on the Tough Mudder....just not my cup-a-tea and doing all that stuff you don't do in training or real life does look risky.

Jay, still ticked off for you re: the Dx.  But good for you for putting your energy into getting ready for surgery/rest/rehab, as well as some other life priorities!  Hope you will continue to check in as you go through this part of the journey.

Mike, have fun with your train-a-thon.  I don't have Trainer Road, but a BT friend who has become a friend in real life does and she loves it.

Sam, thanks for the Nyquil suggestion.  If sleep eludes me I'll definitely be doing that.

Anthony, how long is your indoor track?

Ken, hope your legs were not so heavy.  Thanks re: that that week will not make or break it. 

Pam, thanks so much for your encouragement, both here and in my log.  I appreciate it more than you know!

I'm guessing Steve has been sucked back into the work vortex.  Steve if you check in, when is that ortho 2nd opinion?

Thanks to all of you for your well wishes.  Day 3 of the cold has me feeling pretty crummy, cough on top of head wanting to explode.  But that is to be expected.  Usually not until at least day 4 or 5 that things start to turn around, so there is still time.  If I can make it to the start healthy, this will be an interesting "extreme taper" experiment. 

2013-02-20 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Carol -- think how great you'll feel once the cold is gone, which I hope is soon!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52