BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-09-24 8:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: Knocked 8.5 minutes off my last Tri - Yahoo!
Thanks Scott & Steve!

I definitely learned a lot this year but will be working hard this winter. Actually finished 4th in my age group but the guy that was 3rd came in 5 minutes before me so I have a lot of incentive on those cold snowy workouts.

Still have my half mary coming up in four weeks. I am really doing this to help a freind who is running the full marathon at the same venue. He is trying to get under the 3 hour mark for the first time and it is a 2 hour ride so I thought he could use some support. I found out they were having a half marathon and I figured I could try get in the one I missed in May. Hey, it beats just hanging around.

Tonight at the track I did the 4 x 1200 (with 2 mins rest) at a 6:06 pace according to the book and did the 1 mile warm-up and cool-down. It is a little scary how strong I felt at the end and then thinking back to where I was two months ago.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Anyone have some upcoming races or off season training plans they would like to share?

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-09-24 8:42 PM

2013-09-25 3:06 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Regular
Originally posted by JREDFLY

Thanks Scott & Steve!

I definitely learned a lot this year but will be working hard this winter. Actually finished 4th in my age group but the guy that was 3rd came in 5 minutes before me so I have a lot of incentive on those cold snowy workouts.

Still have my half mary coming up in four weeks. I am really doing this to help a freind who is running the full marathon at the same venue. He is trying to get under the 3 hour mark for the first time and it is a 2 hour ride so I thought he could use some support. I found out they were having a half marathon and I figured I could try get in the one I missed in May. Hey, it beats just hanging around.

Tonight at the track I did the 4 x 1200 (with 2 mins rest) at a 6:06 pace according to the book and did the 1 mile warm-up and cool-down. It is a little scary how strong I felt at the end and then thinking back to where I was two months ago.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Anyone have some upcoming races or off season training plans they would like to share?

So let me clarify that w/o.....run a mile at a six min. pace...rest two min....repeat three more times. is that right ?
What was the temperature btw?? just wondering. Ya thats quite a jump up in intensity James.
2013-09-25 7:30 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by dustytrails

[

So let me clarify that w/o.....run a mile at a six min. pace...rest two min....repeat three more times. is that right ?
What was the temperature btw?? just wondering. Ya thats quite a jump up in intensity James.

Hi Linda - Sorry - I should have been more specific, It is 6:06 for the 1200 not a mile, that's the way they list in the book. So it would be more like an 8:00 min/mile. I hit my lap counter every time around the track trying to keep it at about 2:02 for each of the three laps. With the 1 mile warm-up and 1 mile cool-down it turned out to be about a pretty good 5.7 mile workout. I am not quite at Steve speed at 6:00 minute/miles, at least not yet.

Oh - The temp was mid 50s. Just as an FYI the water temps are at 60 F but I heard some of the crusty barnacles will go until Halloween when it is mid to low 50s.

BTW - I forgot to mention the first one out of the water at My Tri this past weekend was a women - Very cool

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-09-25 7:44 PM
2013-09-27 2:25 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Just checking to see if this thread still has a heartbeat.

Trying to gear up for my half mary now. This is what I will be doing this weekend:

Saturday:
Run
Warm up 1 mile
10x1000 alternating back and forth between 9:00 minute mile pace and 9:20 minute mile pace.
Run a 1000m @ 5:35 and recovery would be a 1000m @ 5:50. Repeat 5x.
Cool down 1 mile
Total distance = 8.4 miles (9:10 pace for 6.2 miles)

Sunday:
Open water swim 1 mile - water temps a balmy 60F
20 mile bike ride that includes 15 miles of hills.

What's up for the weekend people?
2013-09-28 6:18 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Yeah, it does seem as though CPR might be in order!

I had a minor surgery performed yesterday afternoon.  I anticipated a few days out to let the incision heal - however I was not expecting 2 weeks.  Oh well!  My health is better for it so I guess I can live with it.

My wife and I entered the Oceanside Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving morning.  Looking forward to that!  So if I run a 5K in the morning does that mean I can eat Thanksgiving dinner without guilt?

Also entered the HITS Lake Havasu Sprint Triathlon in November, and the HITS Championship Sprint in Palm Springs in December (don't get excited, first 500 entries are accepted, after that there is qualification).  Here in the desert southwest, a COLD winter day might get all the way down to 50 degrees so there are later racing opportunities than other parts of the country.

2013-09-29 1:41 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Subject: its ALIVE !!!!

2013-09-29 1:48 PM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: its ALIVE !!!!
Originally posted by dustytrails

oops operator error .

Charlotte I would like to talk more about crossfit, never tried it and afraid frankly. I think it might be off topic unless others are interested. Takers????
Thump thump thump.......

I went to North Texas and got to run on slightly different terrain. Forgot socks for the trip. made it three miles sockless and finished final mile barefoot. ouchie.
As far as training plans..........I am in endurance building mode for two months. So...I am not worrying about pace just tryin get the volume up.

Reading a book "Tri Power" and resistance and weight training. Pretty detailed information, I recommend this book if you r in the market for weight training info.

I drove five hours each way to a hjob interview in past two days , felt little too frazzled to ride my bike today. Too much runoff into the lake to swim safely, so todays weight training day !!

2013-09-30 11:25 AM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by k9car363

Yeah, it does seem as though CPR might be in order!

I had a minor surgery performed yesterday afternoon.  I anticipated a few days out to let the incision heal - however I was not expecting 2 weeks.  Oh well!  My health is better for it so I guess I can live with it.

My wife and I entered the Oceanside Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving morning.  Looking forward to that!  So if I run a 5K in the morning does that mean I can eat Thanksgiving dinner without guilt?

Also entered the HITS Lake Havasu Sprint Triathlon in November, and the HITS Championship Sprint in Palm Springs in December (don't get excited, first 500 entries are accepted, after that there is qualification).  Here in the desert southwest, a COLD winter day might get all the way down to 50 degrees so there are later racing opportunities than other parts of the country.

Scott--Let me know how the HITS Havasu race turns out. I've done HITS races in Napa, Texas and Palm Springs...been thinking about the Havasu as a late season option, but it won't work this year. They do a pretty nice job. Unless they changed, everyone is assigned a specific box in transition, so you don't have to worry about setting up your bike first in order to claim your turf.

The Palm Spring race was pretty nice last year. I did the Olympic which started after the Sprint. The swim is in a quarry lake. The water can be surprisingly cold for being in Palm Springs...I'm told it depends on recent rain runoff. You'll want a wetsuit. A lot of recent rain means colder water. Apparently the water is quite clean, but it has a lot of suspended sediment so there is very little visibility. Transition from swim to T1 is about a 1/4 mile run, so be prepared for that. The bike course is flat with the exception of a very small climb in and out of the quarry basin, so it should be FAST. The run circles the quarry, is mostly flat and mostly on dirt.

Parking is limited, so get to the race EARLY. I think I was there just after 5:30 .a.m. I stopped at Starbucks for oatmeal and coffee and then drove to the site. I just sat in my car and ate my breakfast without worrying about the parking situation.

Sorry, a 5K race doesn't earn a guilt free T-day. Now, if you add a 1 mile warm up and 2 mile cool down after the 5K, that will push your calorie burn up to about 700....now we're getting close to guiltless Turkey day.

Steve
2013-09-30 5:48 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: ---

p>I had a minor surgery performed yesterday afternoon.  I anticipated a few days out to let the incision heal - however I was not expecting 2 weeks. 

Sorry to hear about your set-back, glad you're on the mend Scott.

Linda - I hope you have good luck with your interviews.

Steve - You just totally bummed me out about my post Turkey Trot pigouts. I guess I will have to run up to the High School and back this year. CRAP!

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-09-30 5:51 PM
2013-09-30 7:53 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: ---

Steve - You just totally bummed me out about my post Turkey Trot pigouts. I guess I will have to run up to the High School and back this year. CRAP!

I couldn't have said that better myself!  Oh well, with or without our illustrious leaders blessing, I am going to indulge on Turkey day!  Just yesterday I got a recipe for a layered turtle caramel cheesecake.  Caramel, pecans, brown sugar - can't wait!  Sorry Steve! Smile

2013-09-30 7:59 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Scott - Could you PM me that cheese cake recipe?

2013-09-30 10:08 PM

User image

Regular

I couldn't have said that better myself!  Oh well, with or without our illustrious leaders blessing, I am going to indulge on Turkey day!  Just yesterday I got a recipe for a layered turtle caramel cheesecake.  Caramel, pecans, brown sugar - can't wait!  Sorry Steve! Smile

Hey, I'm all in for Thanksgiving. Double-up on dessert. But my goal on T-Day morning is at least a 10 mile run...at an easy pace. The goal: a big calorie deficit. I can't wipe out the impact of eating like a mad man, but I can hopefully cut into the caloric impact.

What's the point of working out if we can't indulge?
2013-10-01 8:58 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by lutzman

What's the point of working out if we can't indulge?

Everything in moderation my friend, everything in moderation!
2013-10-01 5:52 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Except on Thanksgiving!  That is the one day I over-indulge without a second thought.  I do the cooking and I will spend two full days in the kitchen and by golly, I aim to enjoy the holiday.  I will be miserable at the end of turkey day but I will thoroughly enjoy every bite and every second.  I am good throughout the rest of the holidays but Thanksgiving is "My" time.  Always has been, always will be.

2013-10-02 7:34 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

Except on Thanksgiving!  That is the one day I over-indulge without a second thought.  I do the cooking and I will spend two full days in the kitchen and by golly, I aim to enjoy the holiday.  I will be miserable at the end of turkey day but I will thoroughly enjoy every bite and every second.  I am good throughout the rest of the holidays but Thanksgiving is "My" time.  Always has been, always will be.

Agreed! There really is no better meal in the year to me. It feels especially good after a long hard run.

Although with that being said knocking off that last 20 pounds is still on the agenda for me to get ready for next year and hopefully get to that next level. I really have to get better using my fitness pal to keep me accountable.

Anyone up for a number of days in a row posting to my fitness pal challenge?

I think I could offer up another Black Dog mug as the prize again.

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-10-02 12:36 PM
2013-10-02 9:07 PM

User image

Regular

Anyone up for a number of days in a row posting to my fitness pal challenge?

I think I could offer up another Black Dog mug as the prize again.

So, how does the contest work?

2013-10-02 9:34 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman Anyone up for a number of days in a row posting to my fitness pal challenge? I think I could offer up another Black Dog mug as the prize again.

x2

2013-10-02 9:47 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Indy

I just entered the OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon on May 3 next year (13.1 mile half-marathon).  This race takes place at the beginning of the month long build up to the Indianapolis 500.  I was entered in this event last year and two weeks before had to have emergency gal bladder surgery - so much for my race.  Oh the joys of getting old!  I vowed last year I was going to do the race this year.

Race has sold out with 35,000 participants the past couple decades.  Entertainment every quarter mile on the course.  Gonna be a blast!

This is the race that actually got me off the couch last year and on the road running - you might say it is where I started to make the run my friend.  I am a HUGE racing fan.  This particular race goes from downtown Indianapolis and turns around with a lap around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway - hallowed ground for a die hard racing fan.

Anyway, the entry is paid and the hotel at the start/finish line is reserved.  Can't wait!  Now just have to lose another 50 pounds and get to where I can actually run a half-marathon!

2013-10-03 9:05 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by lutzman

This is what I was thinking for the contest but I am open for suggestions.

On my fitness pal (which is free) it will show you how many days in a row you posted. Maybe we could run it from now till the end of November or December. I am new to the site this year so I am not sure how long they will keep this thread up. If everyone does all possible days I will pick the winner's name out of hat.

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-10-03 9:06 AM
2013-10-03 9:56 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Indy

I just entered the OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon on May 3 next year (13.1 mile half-marathon).  This race takes place at the beginning of the month long build up to the Indianapolis 500.  I was entered in this event last year and two weeks before had to have emergency gal bladder surgery - so much for my race.  Oh the joys of getting old!  I vowed last year I was going to do the race this year.

Race has sold out with 35,000 participants the past couple decades.  Entertainment every quarter mile on the course.  Gonna be a blast!

This is the race that actually got me off the couch last year and on the road running - you might say it is where I started to make the run my friend.  I am a HUGE racing fan.  This particular race goes from downtown Indianapolis and turns around with a lap around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway - hallowed ground for a die hard racing fan.

Anyway, the entry is paid and the hotel at the start/finish line is reserved.  Can't wait!  Now just have to lose another 50 pounds and get to where I can actually run a half-marathon!

I'll paraphrase George Sheehan, but he wrote something to the effect that the difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank.

That's a great advance motivational tool. If you figure a solid 12 week half marathon training program you've got until February to build a solid run fitness foundation so you're ready to lay it down after the first of the year. Good luck!
2013-10-03 10:03 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman So, how does the contest work?
This is what I was thinking for the contest but I am open for suggestions. On my fitness pal (which is free) it will show you how many days in a row you posted. Maybe we could run it from now till the end of November or December. I am new to the site this year so I am not sure how long they will keep this thread up. If everyone does all possible days I will pick the winner's name out of hat.

Hmmm, posted what?  Clearly we all have to eat everyday so posting nutrition entries probably isn't very instructive.  I currently post all my nutrition to the BT logs and consistently make 4-5 nutrition entries/day.  Maybe posting exercise entries?  Maybe following time instead of distance because a true runner like Steve is going to run much further in a given amount of time than a wanna-be-runner like myself.  He can run six miles in an hour, I can run maybe three.  But the hour is still an hour?

I am definitely up for some sort of a challenge.  I have set a goal to lose an additional 50 pounds before the end of April.  Don't see any sense in carrying the extra baggage 13.1 miles around Indianapolis.

2013-10-04 6:17 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

Originally I have set a goal to lose an additional 50 pounds before the end of April.  Don't see any sense in carrying the extra baggage 13.1 miles around Indianapolis.

I guess that was a pretty lame challenge, we should try to think of something good. I saw some for most consecutive days working out, most consecutive days of double workouts, etc. - any other ideas?

BTW - Thanks for the heads-up Scott, I didn't realize that a lot of events for next year start sign-up now and some sell out early. I really want to put an Oly on the calendar so I will be looking this weekend.

Another BTW - Decided not to do my half marathon in two weeks. I think I may be getting smarter and decided it was too much of a jump to do in 4 weeks. Plus my lower calf has been a little tight, feels like a pull so I don't want to push it. I guess I learned my lesson well from last spring.

What's up for the weekend?

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-10-04 8:52 AM
2013-10-04 8:21 AM

User image

Regular

I guess that was a pretty lame challenge, we should try to think of something good. I saw some for most consecutive days working out, most consecutive days of double workouts, etc. - any other ideas?

What's up for the weekend?

Nothing major for me. I'm in a recovery week after three pretty hard weeks.

I'll probably do a repeat brick tomorrow. It's kind of a fun workout. I set up my running gear right by my bike. I ride 10 minutes on the indoor bike. I then get off the bike and put on my running stuff as quickly as possible for a hard run around the neighborhood, which is about a one mile loop. I head back into the house as quickly as possible, transition back to the bike for another 10 minute spin followed by another run. I complete this a total of four times. It works out to a solid 75-90 minute workout focused on getting up to speed after transition.

Sunday is just a steady ride, two hours.

Have fun out there.

Steve

2013-10-04 8:22 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: its the weekend already
Wow this week went fast.
I was planning last OWS of season today but its too windy, exceeds my ability to swim ow today.

I will run a five miler on the equine trail at the park instead. Can't believe its not a million degrees here anymore ! yipee

I am sore from my new weight trng/ dry land work yesterday. It didnt take much new stuff to get me sore.

I love contests and I never did gain back the weight I lost in our last contest.

I cant post to the internet everyday cuz dont hv at my house. So I guess I would do a weekly summary.

Let us know on that.

2013-10-06 10:58 AM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: its the weekend already
Linda - Sorry to hear about your your open water swims.winding down. The Crusty Barnacles will go to Thanksgiving but I think I am done in a couple more weeks when the water drops into the low 50s. I am already getting a head-freeze for the first 10 mnutes in the water. I am definitely in a wetsuit this time of year but some of these hardcore New Englanders are crazy swiming in water temps in the 40s, some lunatics actually doing it without a wetsuit.

Steve - I really like your light weekend - 90 minutes of bricks and a 2 hour ride, that would leave me totally wiped out. That is awesome!

Does anyone know of any good off season programs, sites or books that would be good for me to get ready for my OLY next year. The things I would like to include in my plan so far include:

- Finding a good swim instructor and working on a better stroke
- Getting on my bike trainer more often (maybe getting some tapes)
- Posting my diet more consistantly on My Fitness Pal and dropping that 20 pounds
- Include weight training and the FIRST running exercises
- Run 3 times per week using the FIRST running schedule

With my work schedule and family commitments I would like to do this with only one workout per day, is that even possible?

I want to run 3 times per week and swim 3 times per week, so that only leaves one day for the bike and no days for weight training. Any suggestions?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37