BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-08-10 7:55 PM
in reply to: #801361

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL

I've taken the last two days off from training.  No real reason...I've been sleeping great and feel good.  I just felt like I needed a little rest.  I'm ready for the weekend training sessions! 

My plan:  Saturday - long run    Sunday - bike ride and swim

I'm planning on running a marathon on Dec. 9, so I've been looking at plans to begin incorporating with my tri training.  I think I can just increase my run times/miles and keep my bike/swim times the same.  I enjoy running more than the other disciplines so I don't think it will be too much for me.  After my tri in Oct., I'll concentrate on running only. (I'll continue with yoga and strength training though)  Any thoughts anyone??? 

Have a good weekend!  Felipe and Rich, are y'all planning on shopping for those red speedos I keep reading about???  Maybe y'all can find matching ones!!!  woohoo!

2007-08-10 8:19 PM
in reply to: #921877

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Sounds like a good plan Angela! I'm actually enjoying the running more and more.

As far as the red speedos? Felipe and I will have to discuss this, if and only if......which I highly doubt......the guys loose this challenge.

Felipe.....what color of speedos do you want to see the ladies in? Teeeheeeteeehhee!

Rich
2007-08-12 9:29 AM

User image

Regular
Hey Guys,

I have absolutely no problem in seeing the ladies wearing those red speedos or maybe the ladies can find those glow in the dark ones hahahaha!

Although I must admit I have to pick up my swimming training, I'm on schedule to conquering the ladies

Hope everyone is having a good weekend and training is going as planned.

FR
2007-08-12 8:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
KAT -- What happened to your husband? How did he hurt his knee? Hope it's nothing too serious.

HAD THE RACE OF MY DREAMS TODAY! Everything went as I had hoped. I don't know my times yet -- I'm sure they were not scorching fast, but I passed plenty of people. :-) And my brother and friend J finished as well.

My two goals were:

1) Pass some people in the swim.
2) Pass some people on the first hill climbing out of the transition area.

Both achieved! In fact, I got right in the mix of things during the swim. Just near the half-way point, I passed a guy from the wave in front of me. Then a few more. Then by the last turn to head back to shore, I passed two of the guys from two waves ahead of me. :-) Very pleased. (I did throw a word of encouragement at one guy who was struggling.) I actually got slowed up a few times because I was caught between several people. Finally swam around them. It was good to feel strong in the water. I pleasantly managed not suck in any water (almost a few times; there was chop from swimming with everyone).

When I got out of the water, I ran to the transition and sat down to put on shoes. I remember worrying that I was out of breath from the swim and the first thing we do when we get on the bike is climb up and get out of breath again. I was happy to notice that by the time I got on the bike, my heartrate had recovered already.

Training. I owe it all to training. :-) Oh, and it was really sweet to know the course; having trained on it several times since I live 15 minutes away. Sorry, I could go on and on... :-)
2007-08-13 8:11 AM
in reply to: #922999

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Fanstatic, Cris! That sounds like an awesome race!  I can't wait to see all of the details in your report. It really sounds like you had a strong swim!  You've obviously put in the work you needed to and now your reaping the rewards....congratulations!

As for my hubby, he seems to have really hurt his left knee.  We were at a local baseball game on a grassy hill in the left outfield when they started tossing out t-shirts into the crowd.  Since it was my son's birthday, my hubby really wanted to get him a t-shirt.  He jumped up for one and when he came down, he went one way and his knee went another. OUCH!!! He says he felt a big pop along the back of his knee, too. Not good. He had to be wheelchaired out to the car.  We'll see an orthopedist tomorrow to find out exactly how bad it is and whether or not he'll need surgery.  For now, he's on crutches and Vicatin, and unfortunately still in a lot of pain.  Everything from the knee down looks a bit like a bruised sausage too.  Sigh....

(oh...we did get the t-shirt, by the way.  It sailed over my hubby's head, bounced off the guy behind him, and rolled to the feet of my daughter.  At least it was not all in vain!)

2007-08-13 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
CRIS!!!!

OMG!!! so freakin proud of you!!! sounds like you had an amazing time. OMG do u remember being affraid of swiming like 3 months ago??? DAMMM!!! you were smoking those guys and gals!!1 thats sooo awesome. I am soo excited to hear that the race was soo fun. Wasn't it a dream to do the race with your brother and then talk about it...this is an experience that will live with you FOREVER and hopefully he is hooked as well??? i hope so!! hahaha
congrats again....

guys sorry i've been MIA but i've been super busy at work. gotta go, but i trained hard this weekend...i biked with a team called Hammerheads , OMG, i was THE LAST ONE in the single file line on the bike ride yesterday... it was aweful, i sucked tire alll the wayy!!! hahaha it was extremely fun, they pushed me and pushed me, like i haven't been pushed in years.. I am extremely excited about this..I know this is going to help me improve inmensly!!! I will force Felipe to come with me next time... that way he can keep me company in the back and we can encourage eachother!!!!hahahaha

love you all, hope Ang, Kat, Andrea, Rich all are doing fantastic..ill catch up later on this week, once things taper down a bit..

kisses!
yes girls, its all about swimmin and runnin this week!

2007-08-14 7:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
True. My transformation in the water has amazed me. Remember people; I was struggling at the first turn and the very last person to come in during my first OWS clinic (May 13).

I still have a long way to go, but I am most proud of what I have overcome in the water.

Thanks!

Edited by cmbcwb3 2007-08-14 7:07 AM
2007-08-14 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Race reports up. Boy, did I think of my friend, Tom, a lot during this race...
2007-08-14 3:17 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hey Christine, I just read your race report...I can see why you're so proud.  You shaved off more than 20 minutes from your first race!  That's awesome!  Next season is going to be grand for you.  Way to end strong! 

The heat in Fort Worth is almost unbearable!  My kids are having trouble breathing with the red ozone alerts.  It's aweful.  I've been running outside around 6:30am so it's not as hot, but still quite humid.  Even swimming is miserable...it feels like warm bath water.  Everyone, stay cool...summer's almost over...hopefully!  I think what will really cool me down is seeing all the men in red speedos!  Go Girls...Rock on!

Angela 

2007-08-16 2:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Gang!

Been running around Seattle Washington with the family eating everything in sight! Think I've gained 1000 lbs.!

What a bike friendly town.......cyclists get to ride the ferries across Puget Sound for free......we were watching the one ferry unload at rush hour and there had to be over 100 cyclists that got off the ferry. It was very cool!

Cyclists all over this town climbing up and down the hills.

Tell you more later!

Rich
2007-08-16 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Glad to hear you are having a great time, Rich!

I have to admit, I have been scoping out other triathlons in September...

2007-08-16 1:58 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Well, come out to Washington DC and swim in the fine waters of the Potomac River with me!
2007-08-16 3:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Tempting.  Where are you staying in DC?
2007-08-16 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
OMG!!! that's awesome. I told you Chris you couldn't wait til next season!!!

Rich! hope you have an amazing time!!! enjoy and eat all the food you want!!
Guys I am like sooo hungry lately, it's really bad, I am eating everything and anything I see in sight( that is healthy). its crazy!!!!!!

Whats everyones plan for the weekend? next race?

Felipe and I race August 26th...then our A race is September 23rd... same date as Andi's right?
2007-08-17 9:29 AM

User image

Regular
hey Gys,

Firts of all, congratulations to Chris!! I read your race report and you did awesome. I hope we can all improve our swim as you have!!

Hope everyone is enjoying their training. Caro andI need to step it up with the biking and swimming, that oly tri is no joke, that swim looks pretty long!!! but we can't wait!!

And ladies, you still haven't told Rich and I how your bikini shopping is going.

FR
2007-08-17 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA

Fit in all of my training during the week so I can spend the weekend focusing on working on renovations.  I will try to get a small bike ride in tomorrow morning -- since I've been in the run/swim challenge, I'm not putting many miles on the bike.

Somebody suggested a race at LBI in NJ for Sept -- and I would love to do it, but the idea of an ocean swim is really scary to me.

Who's done an ocean swim during a race?  How was it?  Is it a lot different from a lake or river?  I imagine 1) fear and 2) salt water are the two additional factors.  Oh, yeah and probably current!  Uuuuuhhhhhh...

2007-08-17 2:38 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Hey everyone!

First of all, for the Nation's Tri, I'm staying at:
Embassy Suites, Downtown Washington, DC
1250 22nd St NW
Washington DC 20037
202-857-3388

That would be so awesome if you could join in! I'm trying to arrange a private tour of the white house too, and you'd for sure have to join in if you make it out. I'm hoping to get that for Sept 28 in the am.

Here's an update on my life:

I'm also wayyy busy in August. And so is my husband, who is a freelance photographer, which means that I don't have a sitter to watch my kids as I go train! So, I'm sorry to say, I'm a bit behind on my swim (doing okay on the run and not too worried about that). But the swim...*sigh* I'm not sure I'll get my goal. But I can fast to drop some thunder thigh weight...Or I could just put an avatar up that is about the size of my little toe nail. That may be a better idea. There were no restrictions on that, right?!!!

I received my Team in Training wet suit this week. It's really cool! So my question to you all is this: How long does it take YOU to put yours on? I put mine on, while dry, and it took me darn close to 5 minutes. I felt like I was putting on a frickin' girdle or support hose! Once I squeeked in it, I looked hot I must admit. And almost immediately, I felt hot too! Which leads me to the next question.

WHEN do you put on your wet suit? Meaning, how many minutes before you jump in the water? Do you arrive to the race with it on? Or do you humiliate yourself by tugging it on while on site? I am already having nightmares about people staring at me, pointing and laughing as they chuckle to themselves "hahah, and she thinks she's going to get that wet suit on over THAT?" Oh the humanity!!!

Ok. Switching gears. I went to my second round of physical therapy today. I LOVE IT! They did ultrasound treatments on me for both sessions, and after session one, my pain was over 50% gone! Like that! AMAZING. Now I'm done with the second (finished about an hour and a half ago) and my shin splint is 95% GONE. I'm so pumped! Of course I have homework to do with the exercies for that and my shoulder, but I'm just so thankful that I went now instead of having to continually fight this battle which potentially could have gone one forever.

My first triathlon EVER is coming up next weekend, August 26. I'm going to do a swim practice in my wet suit before then, though I'm sure onlookers in the pool will think I'm nuts (or jump me because I look so frickin gorgeous!). hahah JK. (Can you tell I'm happy it's Friday? I'm a bit feisty today.) I'm excited but really nervous. I'm sure I'll do fine, I just don't want to screw anything up (like forgetting something stupid). Of course I'll let you know how I do.

Other than that, I have team practice tomorrow, our company picnic immediately following, and then Sunday I have a fundraiser. There is a kick *ss microwbrewery opening up just for me and a couple other triathletes, where we will be the guest bartenders for the day. All tips proceed LLS. They have 30+ beers on tap, all brewed on premises. (I'm in heaven there.) Capacity is 79 people, and I'm getting nervous that we may blow that right out of the water. But that's a good problem, right???

I hope everyone else has a most enjoyable weekend!!! I'll touch base again soon! And thanks in advance for the wet suit tips!
2007-08-17 2:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA

V V Exciting about the wetsuit!  Definately practice a few times in that sucker.  Who cares what anyone thinks about you showing up at the pool in it.  Leave them all wondering!

Okay, you can't brag that you actually look GOOD in your wetsuit without pics...so get that together!

I told my husband last night about the contest (and that there was a remote chance we might loose) and he came up with a funny idea for a photo.  Me in HIS speedo. Of course, it's taken from the back view - but we'll see how the pic turns out before I would consider putting it up as my new a$$atar IF we loose. 

2007-08-20 4:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich is BACK from VACATION
Hey Gang!

I'm back from vacation.....1000 lbs. heavier......OMG did we eat ..... no pig out.....it was all out gluttony! Travelled over 3000 miles in 9 days stopping along the way at every nook and cranny! Went through the back country (Lassen Volcano National Park, Mt. Shasta, Mt. St. Helen) through college towns.....Stockon (University of the Pacific), Corvalis (Oregon St.), Eugene (University of Oregon), Seattle (University of Washington and countless others, and Palo Alto (Stanford), ooohhhhh there is soooo many little quaint towns we saw settled around 1850s - 1860s, saw the Giant Redwood trees, the Columbian Gorge (Lewis and Clark travelled) and tons more..

Did I mention we ate!?!!!??

It was a good rest time....now back to some serious training!

I know Andi's race is this coming Saturday...... who else has upcoming races? I have the Disneyland Half Marathon on 9/3/2007. Wooo Hooo!

Rich
2007-08-20 9:56 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Welcome back, Rich! Glad you ate, you deserved it!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Just for the record, my race is Sunday (po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe). I'm encouraged because I got to try the wet suit tonight at the pool, with kids in tow. My hubby is out of town and I didn't think I'd get my swim in this week, but the coach offered to keep an eye on them and I ended up swimming the whole distance, 3500 yards. I'm thrilled.

I didn't wear the wet suit the whole time, but did do some time trials. 400 yard with was 6:40, and 400 yards without was 7:15. What a difference! And here I thought fat floats!

On a different note, can I just vent for a second??? I'm not having as much fun at this stupid men vs women thing as I thought I would. I'm getting my chops busted by a female or two, and I don't really appreciate it. (I'm venting to you all because there are no culprits here.) It kind of ticks me off, so I addressed it in my training log. So if you all happen to read it, please know it is NOT directed at you! I just hate when people get down on someone without getting all the facts straight first. Grrr. So kiss my arse, at this point I don't give a crap whether I wear a bikini or not.

Ok, I'm off my soap box. Thanks for listening, next show at 11.

2007-08-20 10:15 PM
in reply to: #933535

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hey folks! Just checking in while I've got a sec.  Life is INSANE for me, too!  I'm doing my best to keep up with the men vs women challenge, and I think I'll make my goals, but it's going to be tough.

I have an oly coming up on September 3.  I haven't been able to focus on my training quite as much as I would like, but I think I'll be fine.  I'd just like to finish without dying in the heat! If I finish in less than 3:24 - my last oly time - that will be a bonus.

So, my hubby has apparently torn his ACL.  We go to the orthopedist tomorrow for the official MRI results, but the dr was pretty sure at the first examination.  That means probably surgery and definitely a long recovery.  Add to that, my daughter has walking pneumonia - just got diagnosed today.  I'm really hoping I don't catch it or my oly is sunk! I'll be washing my hands a lot and kissing her on the forehead only!  Kids start school next week, so if I can survive until then, I think I'll make it.

Hang in there everyone! I'll check back in next time I come up for air.....

2007-08-21 12:57 AM
in reply to: #933535

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Andi....Keep Up the GREAT Work
Hey Andi! You definitely have nothing to be ashamed about ..... you should be very proud of what you have accomplished and that is without the obstacles that have been thrown in front of you! Adding the obstacles, you are an Ironman.......you keep it up! Don't let anyone get to you.

If you continue to have a problem and they start getting to you, send them my way! I will have a polite discussion with them to increase their awareness. I'm serious when I say polite...I'm not going to beat them up. We just need to keep the August Challenge in the right frame of reference which is meant to be FUN!

Keep it up Andi! You're doing a GREAT job and I'm looking forward to hearing about your triathlon on Sunday!

Rich
2007-08-21 1:01 AM
in reply to: #933565

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Kat! Sorry to hear about your little one catching walking phneumonia. I had the full version when I was 2 months old along which put me in the hospital for 2 months. Also ended up with scarlentina althought the docs really thought it was scarlet fever because of the 104 temperatures. Hope your little one gets well!

And definitely be careful!

Sorry to hear about your hubby, too! Man you are getting hit from both sides!

Make sure to take care of yourself and definitely come up for air.....ya kind of need the oxygen!

Rich
2007-08-21 7:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Who's racing this weekend???   :-)
2007-08-21 8:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Guys,
I've been out of the loop for a while!!!
Rich!!1 I'm glad you are back! It sounds like you had an amzing time!!!
Kat!!! GOSH SISTER, you are doing fabulously handling everything, moms are my heroes..seriously you guys keep it together in ways I can only imagine!!! so amazing to hear you are feeling good about the OLY... no sweat right?

Andi- boo hooo to anyone giving you a hard time! It's one thing to be an a$$ and be encouraging, I for one believe in love when enouraging, its way more effective.... plus none knows what other million things others are juggling with on a regular basis!!!!
With that, I cannot wait to see how your race goes!!! OMG!! it's so exciting... Felipe and I have another race as well on Sunday!!! It will be our 3rd sprint before we hit the OLY!!! We'll I'll think of you during the race!!

Cris-- she is probably runnin, swimmin and renovating while taking care of her nieces!!

I have been super busy at work and trying to get all my training in...I've been very tired...staying out late then training for hours, so I'm going to take it easy this weekend..well we have our race, so it will be fun times!!!

Q: when swimming in pools, I feel like my form jus absolutely sucks! i feel like I'm doing the wrong movement in the water. We had a total immersion prof teach us on how to glide and he suggested to breath every other stroke and if its better on 1 side to continue that way. So, i sometimes feel like my posture is best when breathing bilateral I feel there is less interruption. I feel like constantly breathing just breaks all my rhythm! I was really frustrated swimming last night, trying to figure out what is the most effective way of swimming and in a race context....obviously in the oly, I will have a different strategy than in a spint...anyways, any thought on that gang?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46