Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-01-11 1:54 PM
in reply to: #649374

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: jldicarlo's group -- FULL

redhiker702 - 2007-01-10 12:00 PM I'm curious about shoes and pedal combinations. Speedplay? Look? Time? Carnac, Shimana Side? Whatcha got working down there?

Heh...the great debate!

Okay...things to look for when picking out shoes/pedals.

Pedals/cleats first...they are easier!
FLOAT: Float is the amount your feet can change "angle" on the pedal.  I kind of think of it like this: Sitting in your chair, put one foot down on the floor on the ball of the foot and elevate the heel like you are standing on your toes...but not too high...just standing up on your toes a teeny bit.  Now, keeping the ball of your foot on the floor, move your heel from side to side.  That's float!  The degrees of angle you can move your heel through is the amount of float a pedal allows.  If you are a normal person with normal knees, you don't really care at all!  If you are a finicky knee person, it can be VERY important!  Speedplays have a LOT of float.  Look cleats (which are essentially the same system as shimano's pedals) can come with two kinds of float--one that allows some float, and one that allows zero float.  There are some knee problems where you would want zero float.  But MOST people need SOME float.  What it allows your knee to do is pedal in a way that is comfortable for your biomechanics.  If you didn't have float you could always be twisting your knee into a position it doesn't like!  Okay, sorry...but I have never heard of Time.  But, the third kind of cleat is SPD or more commonly referred to as "Mountain Bike Pedals".  Same float concept as Looks but not sure if they can do a zero float.

Um, crap.  I gotta get back to work.  More on this topic later....

2007-01-11 1:55 PM
in reply to: #632453

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
p.s.  Sorry for the delay in the questions...if you didn't know I wrecked my car Monday.  BAD JEN.  Been a bit busy and distracted!
2007-01-12 1:03 AM
in reply to: #651012

User image

Expert
Hawaii
jldicarlo - 2007-01-11 12:48 PM

naners - 2007-01-09 9:25 PM How many races for one season is average?

I don't know if there is an average. I think I've seen a lot of people do about one a month. But then I know people that do a bunch of 5k's and 10k's as "training" races so they might "race every weekend but really there is only one important race.

I personally think one every 3-4 weeks is really the most you can do or will want to do...especially when you start getting up into the HIM distances. You need some time off after long races. Last year I had scheduled:

Oly in Apr
Oly in May
HIM in June (got cnx'ed on me)
Oly in July
10k swim and HIM in Aug
Half marathon in Sept (cnx'ed due to knee)
Marathon in Sept (cnx'ed due to knee)

Which may not seem like a lot, but I felt like I was always gearing up for a race! It got to the point where I wanted to cancel some just so I could make TRAINING progress rather than trying to prep for a race!

Cool, thanks.  I think that I had better more seriously map out potential races to see where I'm at.  Hope that things are going a little more smoothly for you! 

2007-01-12 8:26 AM
in reply to: #651760

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
naners - 2007-01-12 12:03 AM
jldicarlo - 2007-01-11 12:48 PM

naners - 2007-01-09 9:25 PM How many races for one season is average?

I don't know if there is an average. I think I've seen a lot of people do about one a month. But then I know people that do a bunch of 5k's and 10k's as "training" races so they might "race" every weekend but really there is only one important race.

I personally think one every 3-4 weeks is really the most you can do or will want to do...especially when you start getting up into the HIM distances. You need some time off after long races. Last year I had scheduled:

Oly in Apr
Oly in May
HIM in June (got cnx'ed on me)
Oly in July
10k swim and HIM in Aug
Half marathon in Sept (cnx'ed due to knee)
Marathon in Sept (cnx'ed due to knee)

Which may not seem like a lot, but I felt like I was always gearing up for a race! It got to the point where I wanted to cancel some just so I could make TRAINING progress rather than trying to prep for a race!

Cool, thanks.  I think that I had better more seriously map out potential races to see where I'm at.  Hope that things are going a little more smoothly for you! 

Yeah, the best thing you can do is sit down with a calendar and see where the races you "want" to do fall.  Then decide which are most important to you.  And take into consideration travel costs!  I live in the CONUS and each away tri (defined as having to FLY to it) ends up costing me around $1000.  I can only afford one or two of those per season!  Don't forget to plan for possible vacation days and holidays, etc.

Planning is good, but leave yourself open to change too.  Unless there is a particular race you want to run that sells out in a flash, maybe wait to register--especially for late season stuff.  You don't want to force yourself to race if you mentally burn out in Aug or Sep.  Or you might be on a roll and want to do an extra race.  I have the first half of my season pretty firm, but have left the back half very open.  It works for me.

2007-01-12 8:35 AM
in reply to: #649374

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

redhiker702 - 2007-01-10 12:00 PM I'm curious about shoes and pedal combinations. Speedplay? Look? Time? Carnac, Shimana Side? Whatcha got working down there?

Next topic:
PLATFORM: Well, this might not be called platform, but it's how I think of it.  Different types of pedals have different surface areas.  Typically, larger surface area means the force is more evenly distributed over the foot.  Small pedals like SPD's and Speedplays concentrate the force on your foot in a small area.  This can cause some people pain.  Look's have larger surface area so they distribute the force.

CLIPPING IN: SPD's (and I think speedplays?) are two-sided.  So no matter which way the pedal is turned, you can clip in.  Looks tend to be one-sided.  The pedal HAS to be right side up or you can't clip in.  Honestly, once you are slightly adept at clipping in, this REALLY is NOT a big deal at all.  HOWEVER, most "beginner" clipless types find SPD's the easiest to get into.  Getting out is not a problem (contrary to the popular "I fell over in my clipless" threads).  None of them are harder or easier to clip out of.

SHOES:  So, once you pick your pedals, you pick your shoes.  MOST of the shoes out there work with all kinds of cleats unless you pick some of those "commuter" shoes that have the recessed cleats...they tend to only work with SPD's.  Honestly, your best bet here is just to go to a bike shop and try them on!  Different brands might work better with different width/size feet.  For example, I wear men's shoes because my feet are wide at the front and it gives me more toebox room.  A few tri specific thoughts:

1.  Less velcro is better.  Transition is all about speed.  One strap is best...no more than two!
     2.  Having one of those little fabric loops on the heel is useful for when you need to hold onto the shoe while trying to put it on while riding (once you get to the "leave the shoes on the bike" stage)

Otherwise, with shoes I would go for comfort!  Your poor little feet want to be comfy for hours on end on the bike!  Too tight can be BAD because it can make your feet fall asleep.  I've worn both Sidi and Shimano...I like both.  A good pair of shoes can last for seasons, so don't worry about spending money.  You just might go through several pairs of cleats.  Same with pedals.  One pair of pedals can last a LONG time.

Okay, fire away if that generated more questions.  That's Jen's take on pedals/shoes...and I've had three sets of pedals and three sets of shoes now.

2007-01-12 10:57 AM

User image

Ohhh you're like an encylcopedia! I think I like the idea of a larger platform rather than the Speedplay (the guy at the bike shop showed me the cute PINK ones that I almost bought because they were kind of girlie.) But cute doesn't = comfort... you should submit that as an article for others.

Onwards...
All my swimming this week has left me with an earache in one ear. I went last night and bought some "swim-EAR" and earplugs, yet still have a pain that dips into my jaw. Do you have a routine after your swim to be more preventative?

Also: I noticed my stroke speed is equal to that of the veteran swimmers, however they smoke me off the wall (with their fancy flip turns) and end up only swimming half the lane above water. How can one effectively judge time for a (1.5kOWS) if there are no flips to be had? Should I suck it up and just learn the flip? Or just go with the slow and steady pace?

2007-01-12 2:39 PM
in reply to: #652168

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Do you have a routine after your swim to be more preventative?

Heehee...it's called I stand on one leg (sometimes two works too), turn my head to the side and jump up and down.

But that does not work for everybody.  There was a thread somewhere on BT about it where people listed a bunch of suggestions.  Some people swear by these ear drops--I don't know the name but is that the swim-EAR?  I'd at least give the hopping up and down a try...but some people just have weird ear canals and need either plugs or the drops to prevent ear aches.

Also: I noticed my stroke speed is equal to that of the veteran swimmers, however they smoke me off the wall (with their fancy flip turns) and end up only swimming half the lane above water. How can one effectively judge time for a (1.5kOWS) if there are no flips to be had? Should I suck it up and just learn the flip? Or just go with the slow and steady pace?

I personally think EVERYONE should do flip turns.  Open turns give you an extra HUGE breath at the end of every length.  Your swim "flows" much better if you flip and you don't get that extra pause/oxygen.  People say their open turns are just as fast as flip turns and I agree--they definitely can be.  The advantage comes in removing that extra breath--more realistic for continuous swimming.  As for flip turns, you don't need to be SO good at them that you only swim half the length above water.  I don't have that kind of lung capacity--especially at altitude!  I rarely get to or past the "flags" on a flip turn.

Effectively judge time for a 1.5k OWS...Uh...HARD!   There are SO many factors in OWS that can affect the time: the course could be short (most are) or long (less likely), there could be waves (St. Anthony's last year was BRUTAL!), sighting takes time away, you could ziz-zag, wearing a wetsuit or not, etc.  But I don't think I have EVER done a 1500m OWS faster than my pool times.  So my formula is to take my pool time and add a few minutes for my prediction/goal.  From my experience, the benefits of short courses and wetsuits tend to balance out the sighting, zig-zagging, and long courses...so my pool times and OWS times are pretty close.

2007-01-15 12:03 AM

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Any suggestions to make trainer sessions go by a little more quickly?
2007-01-15 8:05 AM
in reply to: #654523

User image

Veteran
Stormville, NY
I use spinervals dvd's. I don't know if it makes it quicker but it does help the time pass. I turn off the cheesy music though.
2007-01-15 9:04 AM
in reply to: #654523

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

DVD's...new movies work the best because they hold your interest...but I even like to watch ones I've seen hundreds of times.

Or, set up your trainer sessions to occur during your FAVORITE tv show.  I used to get on my bike during "The Biggest Loser" this fall.

Stick with it...they get easier.  I know I hated the trainer at first and now I'm so used to it that an hour goes by really quickly.  And I'm rarely on for much more than that.... 

2007-01-16 12:02 AM
in reply to: #654678

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Thanks to you both for the suggestions.  I'll try a movie next time, and look into spinerval videos (minus the music) .

2007-01-18 2:52 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Bump bump.

No third page for us!

2007-01-18 4:07 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Tivo'd Triathlons work well for me
2007-01-19 12:14 AM

User image

I don't know if this helps, but I've downloaded a couple of different podcasts to my ipod and listen to them while on the trainer or walking the dogs. Everything from running techno-ish music to hikes about the Sierra Nevadas, to neurospychology, you name it. I think I also saw some on cycling technique.

It takes a little time to sift through all of the categories but it does break up the workout. Oh and I requested "the Science of Triathlons" DVD set for my bday, so hopefully it doesn't suck!
2007-01-19 10:39 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

So, how is 2007 going for everyone so far????

Other than wrecking my car, I'm okay.  I've been able to get in most of my training, miraculously!

2007-01-23 1:48 AM
in reply to: #660653

User image

Expert
Hawaii

Oye, we've dropped to the third page again.

jldicarlo - 2007-01-19 9:39 AM

So, how is 2007 going for everyone so far????

Other than wrecking my car, I'm okay. I've been able to get in most of my training, miraculously!

That's awesome!  For some reason, I can't see your logs.  Am I doing something wrong?

As for me, I've gotten through my planned training so far as well, but that was minus any scary experiences!  What about the rest of you all?

Right now, I'm trying to figure out the recovery drink thing.  Someone was discussing it at swimming tonight, and I was wondering if I should look into some chocolate milk on occassion.  Not that I really need an excuse  for chocolate milk, but it would be nice.

2007-01-23 3:58 AM
in reply to: #664309

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Sorry we bumped to page three...I made a last minute decision to skedaddle to CO for the weekend.  I'm back.  But my logs won't be back yet...I'm on a BT break...sorry.

Recovery nutrition doesn't need to necessarily be a drink...many people use drinks (like chocolate milk) because they are easy.  But really, you just need to take in some calories after a workout....soon after!  My coach goes so far as to say that recovery begins BEFORE the workout...i.e. starting on a full tank. 

2007-01-23 4:07 PM

User image

I love the chocholate milk.. or 100% Welches Grape Juice or POM Wonderful after a hard workout. mmmm thirsty

Speaking of workouts.. I'm slacking!!!! Instead of just celebrating my birthDAY, I'm celebrating my birthMONTH and I'm exhausted.

I hope that February will go smoother for consistant training. I did get clipless pedals this weekend and haven't fallen yet. But considering the bike guy was running along side me so I wouldn't dump it doesn't say much.

I noticed that walking in cleats feels like reverse heels... awkward.

Hope you all are getting it done!
2007-01-23 4:12 PM
in reply to: #665375

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Yay for clipless pedals!  Now stop slacking!
2007-01-23 4:16 PM

User image

Seriously... how do you keep your training schedule AND a social life?
2007-01-23 10:18 PM
in reply to: #665397

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
"Social" takes on new meaning?  I go ride with friends, or ski with friends, or hike with friends.  Still do the "bar thing" once in awhile, but I don't drink more than one or two at a time.  And of course it's mostly on weekends.  I used to go out on weeknights all the time but I had to nix that once I started doing tri's more...

2007-01-26 3:38 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Hello, groupies!  Hard to believe the first month of 2007 is already almost over!  Wow!  Did everyone get good training in?
2007-01-29 2:46 AM
in reply to: #669280

User image

Expert
Hawaii

Well, this groupie had a consistent training month…but I am currently unemployed, so that may drastically change once I get one of those real job things you “grown up” people talk about (I’m already missing the days of TA-ing and research assisting).  Ummmm, I haven’t met any of my short term goals yet, but that’s not really bugging me.  What about the rest of you?  How’s everyone doing? 

jldicarlo - 2007-01-26 2:38 PM Hello, groupies! Hard to believe the first month of 2007 is already almost over! Wow! Did everyone get good training in?

2007-01-29 10:01 AM
in reply to: #669280

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
I guess I had a good January.  I swam a TON (um, 50,100 yards as of this morning with one more swim to go).  I got back on my bike after a 6-8 week layoff (oof, my ARSE hurt!), and I ran some.  I got in a LOT of skiing.  The only thing that sucks is that I'm still injured...with no end in sight!  Must work on that...
2007-01-29 1:08 PM
in reply to: #671198

User image

I've been a little slow-to-the-get-go this month but my Feb- April schedule is clear so I can focus now. I just have to figure out how to get up at the o'dark hundred to do cardio/strength then go to work--then go to school--then swim--then study and repeat. I guess I'll just do it, no whining!

I must say I've recruted about 5 people in the past few months to do their first tri this season ...ha ha

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jldicarlo's group -- FULL Rss Feed  

of 5