Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-01-03 5:45 PM
in reply to: #640788

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: JenBunn1e's Group - FULL
jmk-brooklyn - 2007-01-03 2:11 PM

I haven't tried running since I hurt my calf, but it's feeling a little better lately, so I may test it out on a treadmill over the weekend.  I'm so bummed to be missing this great weather.  I'm going to try to swim tonight.

Wow, was my gym crowded last night!  I went there late (like, 9-ish) and 80% of the 'mills and all of the stationary bikes were taken.  After I rode (on a spinbike in the empty spin-class studio), I went upstairs to stretch, and couldn't find a mat, or a ball, or a foam roll.  I'm afraid to see what the pool looks like tonight.

Don't worry, give it a month.  All those people who made their New Year Resolutions will be out there...

2007-01-04 11:47 PM
in reply to: #625424

Extreme Veteran
AZ
I started swimming again this week.  I did 900 yards on Tuesday.  I went to the pool again today after work and intended to do another 900.  Well, I had about 200 yards to go and started feeling nauseous.  I have never had this problem in while swimming.  I know some people experience this during an open water swim, but I was in a small 50foot gym pool.  Does anybody know what may cause this?  My ears usually get water in them while I swim, and I wondered if perhaps that could have caused it, or maybe my inner ear was wacky.  Has anyone heard  of taking some dramamine prior to swimming or doing open water swims?
2007-01-05 2:31 PM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
2007-01-05 2:33 PM
in reply to: #643002

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

AZchica - 2007-01-05 12:47 AM I started swimming again this week.  I did 900 yards on Tuesday.  I went to the pool again today after work and intended to do another 900.  Well, I had about 200 yards to go and started feeling nauseous.  I have never had this problem in while swimming.  I know some people experience this during an open water swim, but I was in a small 50foot gym pool.  Does anybody know what may cause this?  My ears usually get water in them while I swim, and I wondered if perhaps that could have caused it, or maybe my inner ear was wacky.  Has anyone heard  of taking some dramamine prior to swimming or doing open water swims?

It may be the water in the ears.  I have the same problem that if I have water in my ears I start to get a headache and feeling a bit sick.  Maybe try earplugs.  I know dramamine makes me extremely drowsy and sluggish, so I think it would negatively affect my swimming.  But then again everyone is different. 

2007-01-05 4:19 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

oh the dreaded waterlogged ears! I have stuff to drip into them after a swim to dry up the H2O. And I'm good at jumping around shaking my head too!

I try to pull down my bathing cap to cover my ears and or fold my ear over inside the cap to stop water coming in. Sometimes it works.

Also, just another thought, if I've really pushed hard swimming, I tend to feel sort of dizzy - especially when I exit the pool. I know there was a thread on this about 3 months ago but I don't think anyone could really explain the phenomena which is experienced by lots of folks. Could be mostly conditioning and getting used to breathing/oxygenating during the swim.

2007-01-05 4:46 PM

User image

I sometimes wear my iPod with a waterproof casing and headphones to keep the water out for long swims. I also have the Sahara DryEar to dry my ear canals after each swim. It seems to work. I got it after getting an ear infection from swimming over the summer and had to sit out for a month...

2007-01-08 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
MA
Hi everyone! Sorry I've been away for so long!

To weigh in on the whole swimming thing, I would say definitely no to Dramamine for exactly the same reasons Jen suggested. And I have no clue about the dizzy phenomenon after swimming. Maybe if I ever get my MD I will be able to explain it...

Jen, the Boston Marathon would be amazing! I lived in a suburb of Boston my whole life (well, until college) and remember watching it every year (whether on TV or in person).

Also, who is running the ultra?! That is crazy (but cool!) I'm absolutely for helping Jonah to talk anyone attempting to do the ultra in Queens out of it (and I'm a good heckler!)
2007-01-08 10:49 AM

Extreme Veteran
AZ

Everyone, thanks for the feedback on my swimming drama.  I haven't been back in the pool since, but plan to get back in this week.  I will try hydrating more during the day and perhaps taking a few more rest breaks to get the oxygen back to my pea-sized  brain.  I see you New Yorkers are enjoying some great weather!  Take advantage of it and get as much training in as you can! 

Have a great training week everyone.

2007-01-08 12:01 PM
in reply to: #645960

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
That ultra in queens is insane!  I couldn't run around the block that many times.  I'm thinking the JFK 50 down in Virginia.  That wouldn't be till next year since I have all my races planed for this year.  I think after running a few marathons this year I'd have the confidence for it next year.  For Boston... I need to get there first.   Running < than  3:40 marathon aint easy stuff unless you're Lance Armstrong.
2007-01-08 4:10 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

It's not so easy even if you ARE Lance Armstrong. Some people are just blessed, I think.  There's a girl in my office who ran the Chicago Marathon in 2:52!  That's under a 7mm, if you're scoring at home.  I can't even conceive of that.  I still haven't quite figured out the distance+speed thing.  An 8:00 5k still sounds blazingly fast to me. 

2007-01-08 4:16 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
And regarding you swimming issues, Kathy, just a thought, are you keeping your eyes open the whole time when you swim?  I know some people have a habit of closing their eyes when they put their face in the water (even w/goggles) and, if that's the case w/you, maybe the swimming motion without the visual feedback is making you kind of seasick? Like when you're below deck on a small boat, and your body perceives the rocking, but since you can't see the horizon, you get nauseous?  I dunno--just grasping at straws. 

2007-01-09 9:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
AZ
Jonah,  Thanks for your advice.  I talked to some of my training friends last night that do Masters and they said they have had those same symptoms too.  It sounds like it's pretty common.  One lady said she takes Tums before her swims.  While I don't have upper GI problems like she does, it was the fact that others have issues too, and they are all half-ironman alumni and ironmans-in-training.  I got back in the pool last night and felt better.  The chlorine odor was very strong in the pool area and the pool was very warm.  I will start swimming at an outdoor pool soon.  The pool has been closed for the holidays and I think they are cleaning the pool.  It will reopen the 14th, so I'll start going there and see if it is better.
2007-01-12 10:32 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

So, the bike is here.  It was sitting on my front steps when I got home.  After the last time, I was too superstitious to order the shoes until after I knew I had it, so they'll be here in a couple of days.  I'm going to take it to the LBS this weekend to get it assembled, though.  Then I have to take my poor old MTB to the shop for a tuneup.  I can't let her get jealous of the new arrival.  Bad karma to have your bikes not get along.

I also think I need to name them.  Since the new one is the same colors as my old softball team's jerseys, I'll call it Renegade, since the team was the Renegades.  The MTB is hereby christened "Shadow", since it's black like our car, and, if you ask my son what color our car is, he always says, "black like a shadow," and I think it's cute.

So, Jen, as mentor and resident self-described gear dork, can you list, in order of importance, the first five accessories I need to get?  My list looks like this:

1. Extra tube(s)
  2. floor pump (since I don't have one, and should)
  3. Water bottle cage. I want to pretend that the bike doesn't have aerobars at all until I'm used to the clipless pedals, no no aerobar-mounted bottle for now
  4. Computer (probably a cateye astrale 8 w/cadence)
  5. frame-mounted inflator. (I have a frame-mounted mini-pump on my MTB, but I think I'd rather go inflator w/this one.  What's your feeling?)

Any revisions?  Fellow mentees, feel free to weigh in as well, especially if you have specific suggestions for stuff you've bought and like. 

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2007-01-12 10:35 AM
2007-01-12 11:09 AM
in reply to: #652114

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

Hmm...

Tubes and Floor pump go hand in hand.  These both tie for spot #1.

There have been times, especially riding through Brooklyn, were I have popped multiple tubes.  Make sure that the pump can be used for both Presta and Schrada values since you have a MTB bike and a road bike now.  This is the one I have: https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/10023/   Plus, the pressure needed for a road tire is way higher than you could ever achieve with a little hand pump.

2.  Not on your list.  Tire lever bars.  Getting those tires off when you have a flat can be a b****.  You can get them on their own or with a multi tool set.  When you're first getting used to your bike and need to make those minor adjustments a tool set will definitely help.

3.  Water bottle cage would be number 3 unless you wear a camelback like I do. 

4.  Patch Kit.  In case you are on your last tire and need to make that fix.

5.  A bag to hold your extra tubes and tools.  I have one that goes under my seat in the bag.

Those to me are necessities to get home if you get a flat. 

Now the extras. 

Do you have a Forerunner 305?  They have a wireless cadence thingy that goes with it now.  The astrale 8 is okay, (I have that) but I think the next go around,  I would like to get a wireless system.  I hate how the wires wrap around the bike.

A CO2 inflator will come in handy.  You're right you can't get the same pressure from a hand pump than a CO2 inflator. 

Again, I would focus on getting the things that will get you home when you're on that 40 hour ride vs. the computers and such.

2007-01-12 11:58 AM

User image

Cool that you finally got your bike. I think I'm going to be riding my hybrid for a while...Which water bottle are you getting or have? I just ordered a Nalgene OTG 24 oz bottle on their website (www.nalgene-outdoor.com and use BC2 for 25% off everything with free shipping).
2007-01-12 12:21 PM
in reply to: #652196

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
JenBunn1e - 2007-01-12 11:09 AM

Hmm...

Tubes and Floor pump go hand in hand.  These both tie for spot #1.

There have been times, especially riding through Brooklyn, were I have popped multiple tubes.  Make sure that the pump can be used for both Presta and Schrada values since you have a MTB bike and a road bike now.  This is the one I have: https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/10023/   Plus, the pressure needed for a road tire is way higher than you could ever achieve with a little hand pump.

2.  Not on your list.  Tire lever bars.  Getting those tires off when you have a flat can be a b****.  You can get them on their own or with a multi tool set.  When you're first getting used to your bike and need to make those minor adjustments a tool set will definitely help.

3.  Water bottle cage would be number 3 unless you wear a camelback like I do. 

4.  Patch Kit.  In case you are on your last tire and need to make that fix.

5.  A bag to hold your extra tubes and tools.  I have one that goes under my seat in the bag.

Those to me are necessities to get home if you get a flat. 

Now the extras. 

Do you have a Forerunner 305?  They have a wireless cadence thingy that goes with it now.  The astrale 8 is okay, (I have that) but I think the next go around,  I would like to get a wireless system.  I hate how the wires wrap around the bike.

A CO2 inflator will come in handy.  You're right you can't get the same pressure from a hand pump than a CO2 inflator. 

Again, I would focus on getting the things that will get you home when you're on that 40 hour ride vs. the computers and such.

Got the tire levers and the patch kit already.  So it's looking like floor pump/tubes, inflator+tools (I saw one in jackrabbit that had a multi-tool built in), and a bag.  Computer will be later on.  I can use the Garmin for distance/speed, and just figure the cadence out on my own (like I do on the stationary bike).  Good advice.

2007-01-12 12:23 PM
in reply to: #652287

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

sonnyk - 2007-01-12 11:58 AM Cool that you finally got your bike. I think I'm going to be riding my hybrid for a while...Which water bottle are you getting or have? I just ordered a Nalgene OTG 24 oz bottle on their website (www.nalgene-outdoor.com and use BC2 for 25% off everything with free shipping).

The Nalgene bottles are really cool, but I've got about a bazillion of the cheap Specialized bottles at home from all the century rides Ive done and the tri I did last fall. If I bring home another water bottle, Mrs jmk-brooklyn will be none too pleased.  I just need a cage.

2007-01-12 1:11 PM
in reply to: #652347

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
jmk-brooklyn - 2007-01-12 1:23 PM

If I bring home another water bottle, Mrs jmk-brooklyn will be none too pleased.  I just need a cage.

Thats funny.  Mr. JenBunn1e feels the same way about all my gear everywhere.  I have to sneak it in when he's not looking.

2007-01-15 12:07 PM

Extreme Veteran
AZ
How is everyone doing?  We've been  a little quiet lately.  I have been increasing my run mileage and loving it.  It feels really good to run now.  I think the strength training I have been doing has helped.  I'm planning to get back in the pool today.  A local pool that closed for a month for renovation is reopening today.  I'm going to meet a swim coach there today.  Happy training everyone....
2007-01-16 10:16 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Yeah, we've gotta get this thread onto the third page!  (Geez--I'm really way too competitive, aren't I?)

I finally was able to start running again after my calf injury.  Someone asked what I did to it--I pulled it (right one) at about mile 3 of a long run.  For about another 2 miles, I thought it was a cramp, and, by the time I realized it wasn't, I was 5 miles from home. So I've been getting physical therapy for about three weeks, and it's helping.  Feels great to run again.  I did a pretty fast (for me) treadmill run tonight.  I shouldn't have any trouble getting to where I want to be by my two March races. 

I also got new bike shoes.  Now all's I need it to get the bike assembled. (Saturday)

I'm looking for a race to run in July.  I'm less and less enthused about the Staten Island race.  I can't do the NJ State, because it's the same weekend as the NYC, and I'm volunteering. 

2007-01-16 11:03 PM
in reply to: #657213

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
jmk-brooklyn - 2007-01-16 11:16 PM

Yeah, we've gotta get this thread onto the third page!  (Geez--I'm really way too competitive, aren't I?)

I finally was able to start running again after my calf injury.  Someone asked what I did to it--I pulled it (right one) at about mile 3 of a long run.  For about another 2 miles, I thought it was a cramp, and, by the time I realized it wasn't, I was 5 miles from home. So I've been getting physical therapy for about three weeks, and it's helping.  Feels great to run again.  I did a pretty fast (for me) treadmill run tonight.  I shouldn't have any trouble getting to where I want to be by my two March races. 

I also got new bike shoes.  Now all's I need it to get the bike assembled. (Saturday)

I'm looking for a race to run in July.  I'm less and less enthused about the Staten Island race.  I can't do the NJ State, because it's the same weekend as the NYC, and I'm volunteering. 

Glad to see you are running.  In July, the NYRR has the Mets 5K Run Around Home Plate.  Its a fun run, albeit hot, but fun.  They also have a Kids Run where they let them run around the outfield of Mets Stadium.  Also in July last year was the Central Park Conservancy 4M.  There is also the Hudson Valley Tri http://nytc.org/dbacceptance.cfm?ID=7 in July.

2007-01-17 12:08 AM

User image

Hi all, I've been taking it easy from taking a few tumbles snowboarding on New Year's Eve. (Wish I can say I was doing diamonds but I was actually goofing off on the bunny slope... ) Mostly, I've been burning my rollers but started to run again. I'm looking to do some base building probably for the next 2 months.

BTW, I've been using some principles from ChiRunning and they seem to be working for me. (Lean from the ankles, relax below the knees, land on mid-foot, etc) However, I've just been reading about POSE and it also makes some good arguments. I know this topic has been beaten to death but do any of you use any of these principles? if so, why?
2007-01-17 8:31 AM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
jmk and sonnyk..glad you are both feelin' better!
2007-01-17 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
MA
I second BbMoozer! Other than that I have nothing of consequence to add, but hadn't posted in awhile so thought I would stop by and say hi.
2007-01-17 10:19 AM
in reply to: #657262

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

sonnyk - 2007-01-17 1:08 AM Hi all, I've been taking it easy from taking a few tumbles snowboarding on New Year's Eve. (Wish I can say I was doing diamonds but I was actually goofing off on the bunny slope... ) Mostly, I've been burning my rollers but started to run again. I'm looking to do some base building probably for the next 2 months. BTW, I've been using some principles from ChiRunning and they seem to be working for me. (Lean from the ankles, relax below the knees, land on mid-foot, etc) However, I've just been reading about POSE and it also makes some good arguments. I know this topic has been beaten to death but do any of you use any of these principles? if so, why?

I've kind of been doing a mix of my own thing.  Everybody is different, so what might work for some may not work for others.  Things I've done that have dramatically decreased injury for me, (I have ITB problems) is striking the ground at the midsole and keeping off my heels, leaning forward when I run, and having a high cadence.  Also, learn to love the foam roller.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JenBunn1e's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 5