BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pashda's new group - NOW CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2009-04-30 8:04 AM
in reply to: #2119129

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Subject: RE: Tapering, and getting close to race day
joeyg - 2009-04-29 9:50 PM My Tri is quickly approaching on Sunday May 17th.
It is 250yd pool swim, 9.3 mile bike, 3.2 mile run.

So, what is tapering, and should I be doing it?

~JoeyG

Joe
tapering is basically scaling down your training ahead of the race to allow your body a bit of recovery before the race. You should start this about a week before your race date. The best way to taper is to maintain the intensity but reduce volume. So if you do 5 miles in 20mins you should scale this down gradually so do 4 miles Mon, 3 weds and 2 or nothing on friday. The run do similar but on different days to the bike and for the swim I would cut down the distance and do more quality sets mixed with drills. The idea here is to keep the body ready to race without making it tired. I know you are train regularly so could probably do your normal week and still complete the race but you want to be able to do the race and enjoy it which is hard if you get off the bike and cant run. (I know all about this!) Also it is time to practice your brick sessions. At the weekend when you have time do a bike-run brick. scale down your normal distances as the idea is to practice T2 and to get used to the feeling in your legs when you start to run. swim-bike is harder to practice but you can take your bike to the gym or dry off after your swim and quickly jump on a stationary bike if they have them.
Good luck

2009-05-01 11:57 PM
in reply to: #2086257

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Pashda's new group - NOW CLOSED
A good brick today!  I cut almost 10 min. off of my last week time, same route (Ruidoso race route)  a lot of elevation and a lot of elevation change!  3.62 mi run in 41 and change, and 9.92 mi. bike in 50 and change!  I love progress!  Also, if you haven't used the route creator tool, it if freakin awesome!  The elevation change graph is great.  I guess if you used this in conjunction with a gps, you could really tell how your hills slow you down, or speed you up!  I can't wait to get gadgets, but I will, patience grasshopper, patience.  Get sexy first, then get serious.
Dave M!
2009-05-03 7:35 PM

New user

Lawrenceburg, IN
I have a question for everyone regarding training on the bike.  The weather has been awful lately.  The temp. is OK but it seems like it rains all day everyday when I am scheduled to ride.  I really do not want to ride in the rain.  Am I a total wimp for this?  Should I use a stationary bike at the gym on these days?  I really don't like to use the stationary that my gym has.  It is not a spinning bike and is hard on the knees.  Just curious as to what everyone does when the weather does not co-operate.  Do I just need to man up?  Other than that the training has been going great so far. 

Joe

2009-05-08 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2127148

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Hi Joe

not a great deal of response from the group it seems.
Myself I have been terrible this year for my bike training. Any excuse and I have stayed indoors or gone running instead. the rain hurts at 20mph !! I guess if you cant get out then using the stationary bikes at your gym or better still a turbo trainer is the next best thing. Now the weather has improved I am doing more cycling and tow the kids in a trailer to make it tougher.
If the stationary is hurting your knees try winding the resistance down a bit and work on spinning your legs instead. that will still benefit you for fitness and you can build the leg strength on hills when you get outdoors.
Dave

By the way can I suggest to all that you copy some of your training sessions onto the forum so we can all easily see how you are doing. thanks
2009-05-09 7:18 PM

New user

Lawrenceburg, IN
Finally got to ride today without rain!  Very windy though 17mph+.  Rode for 9.7 miles in 36 minutes.  Considering wind speed, I was pleased with average speed of 16.2 mph. 

Tried to do a very short transition run after bike today.  About 30 seconds in, my left calf cramped.  While stretching it my right calf also cramped.  Finally got calfs worked out and my back cramped.  While bending over to relieve this my stomach also cramped.  This led to me alternating stretching my stomach and back to relieve each of the cramps.  I am sure this was humorous to those who saw me rolling on the ground.Laughing  Oh well, still my first bike ride that felt good. 

Lesson learned, stay hydrated!

Edited by keefrichard 2009-05-09 7:21 PM
2009-05-11 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA

Hi Joe (keefrichard)

Been meaning to write, but really caught up in my own preparations for my first Tri on the 17th.
If you can't ride outside, then try to give it a go inside.  As far as your knees, maybe use the indoor bike in shorter bursts of time - maybe 10 or 20 minute indoor rides to stay loose.  Most of my bike training is indoors with my own exercise bike; made easier since the bike is in the playroom and there is a tv there.  Thus, I often get up in the morning and do a nice 20-minute ride while watching the morning news.
And yes, cycling in rain is painful.  Plus, for me anyway, a little scary about losing traction and sliding out.

~JoeyG

2009-05-11 8:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Subject: Training session and first practice Tri
While I posted this in the general board, since Pashda asked about Training and progress, I wrote the following on Saturday (May 9) ...

Over the past weeks, I have done some bricks and short simulations (100yd swim, 5mile bike, 1 mile run), but with my first real Tri in 8 days I wanted to know that I could do it.  The Tri is 250 yd pool swim, 9.3 mile bike, 3.2 mile run.  Especially since 2-3 months ago I could not swim.
So, today I decided I would do whatever was comfortable in the pool, rather that keep pushing myself with front crawl stroke (I still don't have the breathing thing down.)  Did some front crawl and a lot of backstroke.  So I started at my local YMCA, and got the following:
8:59 pool swim
5:32 T1; somewhat slow because of locker room then unlocking bike, etc
39:27 bike ride
0:33 T2; parked bike at house, had drink, pretty simple
28:38 run
=======
1:23:09

So while my swimming is still a struggle, I convinced myself this morning that I will complete the real Tri course next Sunday.  Comparing times to last year's event, I would have been last in my 40-49 age group and 197/224 for all competitors.
I guess it is a matter of "who cares that I will be last or 2nd to last in my swim times" as everyone has strong and weak events.

At least now I can relax a little this week, and slow down the training to let my body rest a bit.  (Been quite tired.)
2009-05-11 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2142796

New user

Lawrenceburg, IN
Thanks for the advice everyone.

JoeyG,
I totally feel your pain with the swimming.  I just learned to swim myself in January.  I could not complete 25 yards without freaking out.  I am now able to swim sets of 200 yards pretty easily.  My longest swim without stopping has been 400 yards.  I still have a lot of work to hit the 820 yard mark for my race. 

It is always encouraging to know that everyone is making progress.  Makes me feel better about my own chances.  keep up the good work.

Joe
2009-05-11 2:31 PM

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Hey JoeyG, great job.
A very good practice for the coming weekends race.
I am sure on the day you will be a lot quicker when you are swept along in the race proper. Be confident in your ability to do the swim, you have proven to yourself you can do the distance using different strokes so on race day I would suggest mixing it up as you go. 2 lengths crawl and a length of backstroke to get your breath then back to crawl. T1 will obviously be quicker on the day.
take it easy this week to let your body recover from the practice race. couple of short runs and a bike and swim but nothing for 48 hours ahead of the race.

Good luck for Sunday and have fun.
2009-05-11 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2140941

User image

Regular
Essex, England
keefrichard -  

Tried to do a very short transition run after bike today.  About 30 seconds in, my left calf cramped.  While stretching it my right calf also cramped.  Finally got calfs worked out and my back cramped.  While bending over to relieve this my stomach also cramped.  This led to me alternating stretching my stomach and back to relieve each of the cramps.  I am sure this was humorous to those who saw me rolling on the ground.Laughing  Oh well, still my first bike ride that felt good. 

Lesson learned, stay hydrated!

Joe, I have had similar cramps in my calf muscles on previous races and in brick sessions and have found it is often due to pushing too hard on the bike and not necessarily dehydration. I keep reading different views on causes of cramp and am no doctor so wont try to tell you the cure but I would advise easing off slightly on the bike to leave a bit in the tank for the run on race day. You will enjoy your race more if you can actually run rather than having to walk due to cramps. My first tri I went mad on the bike trying to catch a mate up and bonked. had to walk a lot of the 5k.
Good speed on your bike ride though !!!
2009-05-11 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2143976

New user

Lawrenceburg, IN

Dave,

In retrospect I believe you may be right.  I was so pleased to actually be able to get out and ride I may have pushed a little too hard. I have a recovery week comming up and I am definatly ready for it.

Joe

2009-05-11 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2140941

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Subject: Leg cramping
Hi Joe (Keefrichard)

I too sometimes have pain in my legs when doing a bike and run.  What I found helps is to take a little off my pace over the last mile of bike riding, and try to do some stretches while coastine on the bike.  I might stand up on the pedals and do some muscle flexes for my calfs and quads, etc.  Not a lot to slow down too much on the bike, but enough so that when I get off the bike my running legs are ready.
Also, while I am a 7:30-8:00 min mile runner, I often start off closer to 9-10 minute mile pace for the first 1/4 to 1/2 mile; or until my leg muscles are ready for the running.

So, pain can be normal.  Or, it might be related to a little over-use and/or over-training.

Hope it gets better for you.

~JoeyG
2009-05-12 6:29 AM

New user

Hi Everyone,

I`ve enjoyed reading your posts and unfortunately haven`t done much posting lately with my own pre-race jitters and training.  Joey I`m sure that you`re going to do a great job this weekend on your tri.  Race day does make a difference when you get caught up with the crowd, it just seems that much easier.  My only words of wisdom from running lots of races is remember that it`s all about competing with yourself and for yourself and no one else!!!  Who cares how fast everyone else is going you should be proud of your own accomplishment!

I ran the Mississauga Marathon this weekend and despite the fact that I had been nursing an injury for the last 3 - 4 weeks all the training that I had done prior to that paid off.  I felt great, enjoyed the run and when my good calve blew out at 31K I was in a pretty good mental space to deal with the pain and push on.  I finished 10 - 15 minutes slower than I had hoped for but I finished and that`s the main thing!  Now it`s time to rest, recover and do some serious tri training! 

Have a great day everyone!
Kathryn

Edited by Kathryn 2009-05-12 6:30 AM
2009-05-12 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2145050

New user

Lawrenceburg, IN
Congratulations on your marathon Kathryn.  That is quite an accomplishment.

Joe

2009-05-13 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2145382

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Well done Kathryn on completing the marathon. Something I cant ever see myself doing, 26miles is too far for me. At least in a triathlon I get to bike most of the distance
Triathlons should be easy for you now.
2009-05-13 6:36 PM

New user

Golden, CO
Hey all-
I haven't posted forever due to life and all that.  It is refreshing to see everyone's progress so far.  I have been having some of the same issues and see I am not alone. 

I just purchased a road bike and am waiting for it's arrival.   It's a Scattanti.  I, myself have never heard of it, but my hubby said it was good.  Is this a good brand?  It is their first women's model, so they said, but if anyone has an opinion, that would be great.  I pasted the info about the bike below.  I know nothing about this stuff... 

• 7005 double butted aluminum frame with women's specific geometry is lightweight, strong and rigid
  • Carbon bladed fork smoothes out the rough spots for comfort that feels "nearly weightless"
  • Shimano 105 20-speed drivetrain combines reliable speed and high performance with incredible control and response
  • FSA Gossamer compact cranks give you a sleek and powerful pedal stroke for the flats and the climbs
  • Ritchey Comp aluminum handlebar, stem and Velo saddle are sized specifically for women
  • Tektro R530 dual-pivot calipers deliver strong, progressive stopping power and good modulation
  • Forté Pro DC tires give you speed when you want it and traction when you need it, in wet or dry conditions
  • Alex ALX270 wheelset cuts through the wind with bladed spokes, aero rims and smooth rolling hubs

My training so far is going pretty well, I think.  I have only been able to swim a few times, but, after a lap or 2, I seem to get some rhythm.  Of course, I take a lot of short breaks, but I am confident I will be able to extend the time in between as time goes by.  The weather has been pretty great lately, so I have been able to go on some beautiful runs.  Just ran 4 miles for the 1st time yesterday and felt great.  Any advice on my training so far and how I should maybe do things differently would be appreciated.

Summer is fast approaching, so training will get more difficult time wise due to having 3 young kiddos around full time.  Little do they know, they will be doing A LOT of cycling, like it or not! 

Thanks!
Alane

2009-05-15 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Subject: First Tri in two days
Lots of nervous and anxious energy.  Slowed down on training this week, I guess called a taper, and feel good physically for Sunday morning.
Looking forward to just starting into the pool and then getting out of the pool (by far, my weakest event).  And then hope to enjoy the feeling and atmosphere of participating in my first Tri.  Practiced the bike-to-run's a few times, so know what that will feel like.  I am as prepared as I can be at this point.

Only one question in my mind... a flat tire?  Only a 9.3 mile ride, and I must admit I am quite out of practice on changing tires.  In fact, probably haven't changed a tire since I was a kid.  So, do I bother getting co2/air pump, tools, tube, etc... for such a short race?  Plus then I will need to carry them, and I was not planning on carrying anything for the bike ride - I don't have a bag on the bike.  I am leaning towards just riding and if a flat, I will somehow deal with it.  Perhaps a DNF, or maybe I would just run with my bike if it happened in the last mile.
A complication/distraction that I had not given much thought to until this week.  So, would others be comfortable doing a race without prep for a flat tire?

Assuming I like the racing, I am giving serious thought to buying a new road bike to replace my 18-yr old Raleigh 12-speed.  With that one, I could get it setup with a pump and bag and tools to be prepared for future rides.

Thanks.

2009-05-15 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2152439

New user

Lawrenceburg, IN
Subject: RE: First Tri in two days

JoeyG,

My wife bought my bike for me as a christmas present.  I have not had a bike since Jr. High nearly 20 years ago.  On the day that I went out for my second ride, I had a flat.  So, it can happen. Odds are that it will not though. 

You are going to do great.  Sounds like your training went well.  Now just enjoy yourself.  Good Luck,

Joe

2009-05-17 4:59 PM

Georgia

Hi Y'all,

I haven't posted (or worked out) for the past two weeks as I have been in Egypt.  I was hoping to work out a bit while I was there but just didn't have the time or the energy at the end of a twelve hour day.

Joey - I hope you did great!  I can't wait to read about your race.

Melody

2009-05-18 3:53 AM
in reply to: #2149364

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Alane123 - 2009-05-14 12:36 AM Hey all-
I haven't posted forever due to life and all that.  It is refreshing to see everyone's progress so far.  I have been having some of the same issues and see I am not alone. 

My training so far is going pretty well, I think.  I have only been able to swim a few times, but, after a lap or 2, I seem to get some rhythm.  Of course, I take a lot of short breaks, but I am confident I will be able to extend the time in between as time goes by.  The weather has been pretty great lately, so I have been able to go on some beautiful runs.  Just ran 4 miles for the 1st time yesterday and felt great.  Any advice on my training so far and how I should maybe do things differently would be appreciated.

I have had a look at your training logs and it is great to see you are trying to do something most days. I would suggest as you get nearer to your race you should try to concentrate on the cardio workouts over weight training. As a guide you should aim to swim and run nonstop for the distance of your race and to be able to bike for the total time of your race. So if your sprint will take you 2 hours in total then you need to bike for 2 hours as your long ride. Obviously not immediately but this is your target for the end of July to allow steady progression. The runs are going well already so maybe concentrate more on the swim and get the kids out on their bikes. Your new ride sounds great.
2009-05-18 3:55 AM

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Hey JoeyG how was your race ?
when you get a chance put a race report on here so all can read about it and be sure to put a bit at the end saying what went well and what could have been better so we can learn from you.
Dave

2009-05-18 6:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Subject: My first Tri

Hi everyone.  I just finished writing about my race and posting some pictures. 
My first was harder and easier than I thought.  Harder since there is pre-race anxiety, and with a pool swim and staggered start times, was standing around to get started.  So, a little nervous (and heart rate way up) by the time I started.
Swallowed lots of water thru first 50 yards, and a couple times in that short 250 yard swim thought about just giving up.  Mentally, swim was my new event, and I had not found a comfort zone for the swim.  One anonymous man on the end seemed to follow me and cheer me on and give me encouragement at that end.  I saw him in the distance with a woman competitor later, so figure he decided to cheer me on also.  It really helped.

But finally got out of the pool and onto the bike.  Hadn't paracticed as much hill-riding as this course was, so that will be a note for me into the future.  Rode about as hard as my legs would carry me.

And then to my comfort zone of the run.  I am not a great runner - never to place in my age group - but a decent runner.  It was during the run that I felt the emotion of realizing that I am about to do something - complete something - be a Triathlete.  That was a great feeling.
Saw my son as I neared the Finsh Line (he is behind me in my running picture for the Race).  Took it hard to the Finsh Line and the event was complete.

In retrospect, very happy I pushed myself to do this.  Seriously, I could not swim the 25 yards across the pool earlier this year.  I did not swim well, but I was able to propel myself the 250 yards of the swim race. 
Lesson learned here - the other competitors and fans will all encourage.  There is no need to fear looking foolish.  Those looking to win and place go off early.  To everyone else, it is about fun and accomplishing something for yourself or to improve on a past performance.

While I had thought about another Tri later this summer, I know that I need more comfort in the water first.  But I will be back to try again - maybe not later this year, perhaps next spring.  And in the meantime, I can also continue to work on my cycling and running.

2009-05-18 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2145050

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Subject: Kathryn's Marathon
Way to go on the Marathon.  I cannot yet fathom 26.2 miles - I am trying to work up to 13.1 miles.
So, how is the leg now?  Is it starting to get better?  Hopefully so, and that you can continue competing.  Congrats on "HTFU" and perservering though the ordeal.  Hopefully nothing more than a little rest to recover.
2009-05-18 4:42 PM

Georgia

Congrats Joey!  You're a triathlete!

I really respect your efforts, trying this as a new swimmer.  It's great that you finished strong!

Melody

2009-05-18 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2158564

New user

Subject: RE: Kathryn's Marathon
Congratulations Joey!!!!  Great job on completing your tri!  Quite the sense of accomplishment!  Be proud of yourself!

Kathryn
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pashda's new group - NOW CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 5