BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriPatrick's group of support- closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2012-04-30 8:22 PM
in reply to: #4179817

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Subject: RE: TriPatrick's group of support- closed
loonatic - 2012-04-29 6:35 PM

Race went well today. Still waiting on the results to be posted but I looked at them a little before I left. I beat my time/pace goals in each portion of the event so I'm happy. My goals going in were

The run was tough. My training has been messed up the last few weeks because I have had to go to ND for work the past few weeks and there aren't a lot of training opportunities when I'm up there for work. There were two hills on the run as well which made it tough with the extra weight I carry.

It was a great experience. The event was put on by Playtri and they did a great job. Hats off. I can't wait to do another one!

Next up for me is the Captex in Austin on Memorial Day.

My plan is to pick up the 20 week Olympic 2x/wk plan on month two on Tuesday. Tomorrow off. The race would be at the end of the 4th reduced volume week so I think it will be fine.

Now, if I could just figure out how to keep my caloric intake down enough to drop some weight I could definitely improve my times. My goal is 10 lbs by Memorial day. That's 2.5 lbs/wk which should be doable I think.

Nice job!  Way to hit your goals!  Keep up the good work!  Take it easy for a day or two and then get back at it!!!

2012-04-30 8:30 PM
in reply to: #4130942

Master
Montgomery, Tx
My first fall I was looking down to put my water bottle in the cage and my right arm pushed my bike into the curb. I dislocated my shoulder and it took my a month before getting back on the bike. Second time I was slowing down for a jogger and did not unclip. Down I went...
2012-04-30 8:31 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
I love hearing race stories. If you get a chance write a report post it live so we can all read it. They great motivation and learning tools for everyone.
2012-04-30 8:35 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
Not sure why I did not put everything in one post. Did everyone improve this month? Did you have any goals for your training? I just ended my peak for IMTX and I could not be happier to cut back.
2012-04-30 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4179096

Master
Montgomery, Tx
dpetty1 - 2012-04-29 8:02 AMTriPatrick,Is there still room in your group?Deb P
Sure, there is. Just promise to post and keep us entertained.
2012-04-30 9:17 PM
in reply to: #4182512

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

TriPatrick - 2012-04-30 8:35 PM Not sure why I did not put everything in one post. Did everyone improve this month? Did you have any goals for your training? I just ended my peak for IMTX and I could not be happier to cut back.

320 miles on the bike in April.  Need a lot more for May - goal is 1000 miles or more.... I probably should start running again too...

2012-04-30 10:59 PM

New user
San Diego

Glad to hear it went well! I've had good success using a basic app (lose it) that tracks calories in/calories out. It's got a good list of foods programmed, and I liked earning my dessert Tongue out 

I had a mini-sprint tri practice today, and learned a few things for Sunday's race- I need a better sports bra that I can still wear under my tri-top, I need to eat and hydrate more earlier in the day/ day before, work on riding into a headwind, and don't forget the sunglasses on the bike. If the course was what the guys said it was, my run time really improved.

2012-04-30 11:40 PM

Veteran
Honolulu
Here's my biggest fear...sharks. I had to get over this in the beginning to even swim 100m from shore. I'm still cautious where and when I swim, I know it's 1 out of 2 million chance...I feel fine during races though, power of the masses
2012-05-01 12:01 AM
in reply to: #4179817

Veteran
Honolulu
loonatic - 2012-04-29 6:35 PM

Race went well today. Still waiting on the results to be posted but I looked at them a little before I left. I beat my time/pace goals in each portion of the event so I'm happy. My goals going in were <7 min swim (300 yd pool swim), 17+ mph bike, and <10 min/mi run pace. My results were 6:17 swim, 19.7mph bike avg I think, and 9:47 min/mi run pace.

The run was tough. My training has been messed up the last few weeks because I have had to go to ND for work the past few weeks and there aren't a lot of training opportunities when I'm up there for work. There were two hills on the run as well which made it tough with the extra weight I carry.

It was a great experience. The event was put on by Playtri and they did a great job. Hats off. I can't wait to do another one!

Next up for me is the Captex in Austin on Memorial Day.

My plan is to pick up the 20 week Olympic 2x/wk plan on month two on Tuesday. Tomorrow off. The race would be at the end of the 4th reduced volume week so I think it will be fine.

Now, if I could just figure out how to keep my caloric intake down enough to drop some weight I could definitely improve my times. My goal is 10 lbs by Memorial day. That's 2.5 lbs/wk which should be doable I think.

That's awesome results for your 1st tri, were you sore at all after? That's one sign of training enough or giving it all you got
2012-05-01 12:07 AM
in reply to: #4182753

Veteran
Honolulu
momsintraining - 2012-04-30 10:59 PM

Glad to hear it went well! I've had good success using a basic app (lose it) that tracks calories in/calories out. It's got a good list of foods programmed, and I liked earning my dessert Tongue out 

I had a mini-sprint tri practice today, and learned a few things for Sunday's race- I need a better sports bra that I can still wear under my tri-top, I need to eat and hydrate more earlier in the day/ day before, work on riding into a headwind, and don't forget the sunglasses on the bike. If the course was what the guys said it was, my run time really improved.

There's lotsa threads on sports bras on BT. I wear 2 bras at a time, one looser than the other. As long as Quick dry material.
2012-05-01 10:01 PM

Funny you should mention Weight Watchers... 

A good friend of mine has been on it since Jan 1 and lost 35 lbs. He's passed by me now and I can tell that it is really working for him. So I decided to give it a shot. Signed up this morning. Just tracking every single thing I eat will help me keep it under controls as well. I also decided to cut all alcohol until my next race on Memorial Day too. 

I was not too sore on Sunday afternoon or Monday. Just really tired. My legs were dead on Sunday afternoon. I was still pretty tired yesterday too. Felt normal today. Did a 48 min swim. I lost track of my lap count but just kept swimming for the whole time without breaks.

Is there a special way to post a race report on this site or should I type it up in a post? I'm pretty new to BT.

2012-05-01 10:08 PM
in reply to: #4182500

TriPatrick - 2012-04-30 8:30 PM My first fall I was looking down to put my water bottle in the cage and my right arm pushed my bike into the curb. I dislocated my shoulder and it took my a month before getting back on the bike. Second time I was slowing down for a jogger and did not unclip. Down I went...

Ouch! I dislocated my shoulder in high school and I'll never forget how bad that hurt. 

Knock on wood, I've never had a pedal mishap. Well, not on a road bike at least. Definitely happens from time to time on my mountain bike. I grew up riding on the back of a tandem with clipless pedals so it was pretty natural by the time I was riding my own road bike I guess. 

On the other hand, my wife has fallen off hers like 4 times. I thought it would be easier for her to use crank bros brand like I have on my mtb since they seem so much easier than look style, but no... she didn't even make it to the end of the driveway. Oh well, I learned from that one. No new pedals unless she suggests them.

2012-05-02 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4185241

Master
Montgomery, Tx
loonatic - 2012-05-01 10:01 PM

Funny you should mention Weight Watchers... 

A good friend of mine has been on it since Jan 1 and lost 35 lbs. He's passed by me now and I can tell that it is really working for him. So I decided to give it a shot. Signed up this morning. Just tracking every single thing I eat will help me keep it under controls as well. I also decided to cut all alcohol until my next race on Memorial Day too. 

I was not too sore on Sunday afternoon or Monday. Just really tired. My legs were dead on Sunday afternoon. I was still pretty tired yesterday too. Felt normal today. Did a 48 min swim. I lost track of my lap count but just kept swimming for the whole time without breaks.

Is there a special way to post a race report on this site or should I type it up in a post? I'm pretty new to BT.

For race reports go to race logs and add the race to your listing. Then you can edit the race and it will post. When I swim straight without stopping I will either use an estimated 100 yd pace or push my lap button when I think it is a 100. I have been know to lose count the first lap!
2012-05-02 1:57 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
Speaking of race reports. Those of you that are doing a race you can look up past races and see what people did to prepare and execute for the race. I will look at them before signing up for a race to make sure it is well run and a overall good event.
2012-05-02 1:57 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
Dp

Edited by TriPatrick 2012-05-02 2:01 PM
2012-05-03 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4178904

Master
Montgomery, Tx
darlyngirl - 2012-04-28 10:41 PM

So I have some more scycling  questions. I did my first big training ride yesterday- I did 30kms (should I be converting everything I post on here to miles?) and it took me 1h55 min which was somewhat disappointing (my tri is in 3 months and last years results show the slowest people doing 40km in 1h45min). I was using a crappy old mountain  bike my sister gave me with broken gears and I have a feeling I wasn't in a high enough gear but couldn't get it working well. 

I decided instead of dumping money into that bike I should try to find something cheap but better to work on. Through my local classifieds I found a Miele (Canadian brand from my research) road bike I purchased for $120. Here's what I know about it- Tange Infinity CrMO tubing, some kind of shimano clip on pedals, Exage Motion Groups, centennial contact tires, the paint job (Sikkens acrylic uerthane) leads me to believe it may be from the 80's?

Problems-

1) I don't know what kind of shoe that clip needs (2 hole, 3 hole?). I have never biked in clip-shoes? Do I want to learn how and buy a pair? Can I find a cheap used pair? Or should I just replace it with normal pedals? How much would that cost?

2) There is a flat tire, so I couldn't even take it for a ride. I know the guy I bought it from so I am trusting him that it works well like he claims. The tires have such small posts (is that the right term for the things to fill them?) that our air pump doesn't fit (the one we use on our mountain bikes). Do I need some kind of special pump?

3) Should this make a significant difference in my speed (not only that but my mountain bike was a painful ride)? Was this a decent deal?

Sorry- I'm very new to cycling. I have had some cheap mountain bikes growing up but have never ridden a road bike.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36734116@N02/sets/72157629922198763/ Here are some pics. 

I know I am quite clueless. I have been doing some online reading to try to bring me up to speed. Thanks for any help everyone

My shoes are from performance cycles clearance sale. I bought theme for around 60 3 years ago. They just started to rip after around 8000 miles. The pedals I have are the spd cheap ones and use 2 holes. I know there is better equipment, but it still works for me and my second round of buying I will upgrade. The small diameter valve on the tubes is called a presta. When you buy new tubes you will ant to know the size of the tube, most likely 700x 18/23 presta. This fits. 700 diameter wheel and 18-23mm wide. Does that help?

2012-05-03 8:32 PM
in reply to: #4188610

I got a pair of shoes for free from the forums, but also got a pair on sale at my LBS for $90 (good for Canada- figure a spare will be nice- especially to leave in a locker at the gym while I run after cycle class etc). I took my bike to the shop, found out the tires were too big for it, got the proper tires, got a new post and saddle (the post was not the right size and would not tighten). I took it for it's first spin Tuesday and I went much faster than I had on my mt. bike even though I had the chain fall off twice when trying to shift and had to stop and fix it.I also did not fall! I tried my shoes out in a spinning class and I guess I got used to them. I'm doing good at consistently clicking out the right side only so I always know which way to lean.

I was down 3.4lbs this week at WW- getting me to 38.5lbs down since Jan 1- can't wait to hit the 50lb mark.

I just got a new tattoo last thursday for my son- I've been planning to get one for a while. Forgot that I wouldn't be able to swim for two week- one week down, one to go. We've had some really warm weather lately so I should be able to hop in the lake soon and get practicing. There's a beach 1 block away from me and if I swim from that beach to the next beach entrance (one big block down) and back- it's 1.5km. 

I really need to get back into running- I'm not 100% sure what's wrong but I just haven't been able to this week and my 16km race is in 18 days! I'm going to try to get in a run before spin class tomorrow. If I don't get out of bed in time (my son still doesn't sleep through the night) I'll hop on a treadmill afterwards.

And thanks everyone for the bike info- I've got half a clue now :P

Edited by darlyngirl 2012-05-03 8:35 PM
2012-05-03 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4189505

Veteran
Honolulu
darlyngirl - 2012-05-03 8:32 PM

ark.

I just got a new tattoo last thursday for my son- I've been planning to get one for a while. Forgot that I wouldn't be able to swim for two week- one week down, one to go. We've had some really warm weather lately so I should be able to hop in the lake soon and get practicing. There's a beach 1 block away from me and if I swim from that beach to the next beach entrance (one big block down) and back- it's 1.5km. 

I really need to get back into running- I'm not 100% sure what's wrong but I just haven't been able to this week and my 16km race is in 18 days! I'm going to try to get in a run before spin class tomor once row. If I don't get out of bed in time (my son still doesn't sleep through the night) I'll hop on a treadmill afterp> 

And thanks everyone for the bike info- I've got half a clue now :P

Show us your new tattoo!once its healed use 90 spf!
2012-05-03 9:08 PM

It's a mom and baby peacock with my son's name (short for Alexander but it's all I call him for now) on the front of my shoulder. The peacocks are from fabric we used for the flower girl and ring bearer outfits for our wedding (which had a peacock theme).
2012-05-04 12:07 AM

New user
San Diego

That's lovely!

I tried my first spinning class today, I liked the instructor, but I'm not quite sure how well it will transfer to actual cycling. I don't have a bike trainer, but I've been looking around on craigslist. Realistically, I'll probably get an outdoor bike ride in about once a week once summer comes around.

2012-05-04 12:21 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

I put together a mentor group chart...  quote this post, then click on the HTML button above, and then copy the code that starts with the tag "table style" and ends with the tag of "/table".  Then go to your training log and click on edit and then click on the HTML button again.  Paste in the table off your clipboard and then click on the update button and the the save button.  Presto  - table is set up at the top of your training log!  The title is linked back to the mentor thread and each screen name is linked to our training logs - so log those workouts and leave inspires for your fellow mentees... 

Tripatrick
(Patrick - TX)
Bschuma
(Barbara - WA)
momsintraining
(Allyn - CA)
loonatic
(Eric - TX)
darylngirl
(Darlene - ON)
runnergirl41
(Sonya - OR)
cathrynbranch
(Cathryn - CA)
Z-Dog
(Zev - CO)
HonoluluAngel
(Angel - HI)
GI Jen
(Jen - ON)
ashort33
(Andy - TX)
TdG717
(Ted - TX)
dpetty1
(Deb - CA)

Edited by ashort33 2012-05-04 12:23 AM

2012-05-04 8:31 AM

New user
San Diego
I got it to show up, but the links to people's pages aren't working for me?
2012-05-04 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4190025

I also have it showing up- but the links don't work for me either.
2012-05-04 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4190025

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
momsintraining - 2012-05-04 8:31 AM I got it to show up, but the links to people's pages aren't working for me?
Odd, it works in my training log, but not in the thread...  I'll try to sort it out tonight...
2012-05-04 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4189561

Veteran
Honolulu

darlyngirl - 2012-05-03 9:08 PM
It's a mom and baby peacock with my son's name (short for Alexander but it's all I call him for now) on the front of my shoulder. The peacocks are from fabric we used for the flower girl and ring bearer outfits for our wedding (which had a peacock theme).

Love the colors

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriPatrick's group of support- closed Rss Feed  

of 6