BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jlesser's Mentor Group FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-01-28 8:10 PM
in reply to: #1933565

Subject: RE: jlesser's Mentor Group OPEN

Hi Kristina,

sounds like you are already a great runner!  Congrats!  Now, if you can continue to get some bike  and run fitness in, you will be on a roll.  Does your gym have spin classes?  Jump in one 2-3 times  a week.  I would also get into the pool 2-3 times a week if possible.  This will enhance your bike and swim fitness a ton!  Keep the yoga/strength sessions to 2 times a week in order to get the other disciplines in.  Triathlon is about swimming, biking, and running....the others are important, but secondary.

J

2009-01-28 8:12 PM
in reply to: #1933779

Hi Karen,

Welcome.  I am closing the group tonight, so if hopefully your friend will get in as well?

J

2009-01-28 8:14 PM
in reply to: #1934618

Hi Theresa,

Welcome!  It's very normal to be nervous...I am nervous before EVERY race I do!  I think that race is perfect for your first one.  It really won't be that bad and I am sure there will lots of beginners so you won't feel too out of place!  Enjoy it!

J

2009-01-28 8:15 PM
in reply to: #1910596

New user

Hi, do you have room for one more?  My name is sharma.  I'm a 36 year old female from Oregon. 

History:  I was very athletic up until my mid 20's when I got a desk job. I ballooned up to 250 pounds.  Quit the desk job in my early 30's, hired a trainer and lost most of the weight. 

Exercise: Most recently I was an outrigger canoe racer but had to quit because of schedule.

Cycling: This is my best sport.  I am a regular bike commuter and put in 20-30 miles a day 2-4x a week with longer rides on the weekends and tours in the summer.

Swimming: I usually just swim in the winter to cross train when the weather is bad.  I currently swim about 2x a week.  This is my second best sport.

Running: This is my weakest sport.  I entered a 10k once and finished but had to walk in order to do it.  I currently run about 2x a week 20-40 minutes. (10 minute miles)

Nutrition: I'm vegetarian except for fish.  I know how to eat clean but am once again working in an office setting.  I bring my lunches but slip at the vending machines about 1x/week or so. 

Weight:  I'm 5'6" about 160lbs.  I could defiantly stand to lose 15 pounds or so but it's not my primary concern. 

Question: is it overly ambitious to plan an Olympic in 20 weeks with a couple sprints on the way as a newbie?  I will of course see how I feel after the first sprint.  I am just wondering if people do this.  

2009-01-29 7:27 AM
in reply to: #1934678

I actually called around this morning to try and find a spin class, but there aren't any open in time slots that I can manage. So... now I'm looking for a stationary bike! I found a few second hand ones online.

Can anyone recommend a good spin workout dvd?

2009-01-29 8:18 AM

User image

New user

Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: jlesser's Mentor Group FULL!

Hi!

I noticed a lot of people asking about equipment, so I thought I would throw mine out here.  I did my first triathlon (Danskin) nearly 7 years ago (pre kids).  Last year I did my second, a super sprint (Ramblin Rose in Chapel Hill).  Here are my notes on my various equipment between my whole 2 times of doing this.  Some areas, I need help with - hydration in particular.  I very much consider myself a newbie with so much to learn, but wanted to share what I could.

Swim Suit:

Last Year (1 tri): TYR practice suit

This Year: Tri suit - a two piece with elongated tank style top and tri bottoms that go to mid thigh(recently bought at 40% off at local tri shop)

Why the new suit? I spent a lot of time in the transition last year.  So the lack of need to throw on bike shorts this year will hopefully get some time back out of the T1 and cut my total race time down.  I ran in it earlier this week and it was far more comfortable than running in my bike shorts like I did last year.

Bike:

First Race: Mountain Bike with slick tires

Last Year/This Year: Cervelo P2SL

Why the new bike?  I was quite happy to ride my mountain bike and then buy a cheap road bike at the end of the season.  My husband however bought me the new bike for our 11 year wedding anniversary.  The new bike practically rides itself, although there were issues getting used to the new ride (clip in shoes, aero bars).  I am afraid to reach for my drink mid ride now and was far more comfortable, yet far far slower on my mountain bike.  I really need to spend some QT on the new bike and figure out how to drink while riding without tipping over.  Also peeking over my shoulder at traffic sends me into a ditch as well.  Help!!!

Sneakers:

First Year: Asics (professionally fit)

Last Year/This Year: Brooks GS?8 (professionally fit)

No difference between the two really, but the key is you only have 1 pair of feet so get  professionally fit.  Any store geared toward runners (not Dicks, but a real running store) will check your gait and help you pick the right shoe for you.

Goggles: Whatever (Speedos, I probably should care more?)

Bike Shoes: Started Low level Pearl Izumi Trifly II - I seperated the straps on two pairs these and had to go to Shimano SH TR31 to get a sewn strap. No tears yet.

Helmet: Same one I have had for years, a Bell, nothing fancy.  I have no intention of upgrading really, I don't believe I am good enough for there to be a huge difference here.  I need to make up minutes not seconds on my times  and this can probably done through training not getting a fancy aerodynamic helmet.

Seat: On the mt bike, it was my narrowish mt bike seat.  On the new bike, I had them swap out for a women's seat with a hole in the middle to relieve the pressure.  There was a huge difference.

Food: Jelly beans - they made me gag because I was too afraid to grab my water.  Also I choke when I try to drink water and run at the same time.  Help!!!

New Equipment For This Year: Race belt to hold my number and velcro band for timing chip.  Weather was so iffy last year, I had to decide before hand where to pin my number and risk being too hot/too cold.  Race belt will let me decide on the fly.  Velcro band - last year they attached it with a zip tie and I ended up with cuts all around my ankle.

I used this video last year to help me setup my transition area, it was very helpful: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1488

Edited by blbriggs 2009-01-29 11:54 AM

2009-01-29 11:49 AM
in reply to: #1935219

blbriggs -

I would like to see that picture! Everyone talks about proper transition set up, and I am completely clueless!

2009-01-29 12:58 PM
in reply to: #1934668

New user

Franklin, MA

Great Thank you.

My name is Lesa. I will be logging workouts as soon as I am feeling better. Any suggestions on training/workouts while sick?

2009-01-29 10:35 PM

Thanks for including me in the group. I wanted to more formally introduce myself, since I've really enjoyed reading about everyone else.

I am 30 years old and I live in New York. For years, I mostly snowboarded and went on the occasional hike. A few years ago, I got really into mountain biking and rock climbing. Two years ago, I decided to try road biking, which I thought was a totally wimpy kind of riding compared to mtn biking (I learned pretty quickly how wrong I was about that!).

In 2007 I met my fiance, who is a triathlete. After going to two of his races, I was in complete awe. I could not imagine how those people did what they did - I just assumed that they were all naturally gifted athletes from the top of the gene pool. I secretly wished I could do it, but knew I'd never be able to. I thought about doing a race last year, but never really made the committment to myself.

I got a Garmin Forerunner for my birthday last year, and although the last time I ran was when I was forced to do "The Mile" in high school, I was so excited about the Garmin that I started running. Actually, I started walking and jogging, and slowly progressed to a faster jog. My fiance's office sponsored a 5K race last July, so I thought that would be a good goal to train for. I ran almost every day between May and July, and really enjoyed running in the event.

In July, my fiance and I got engaged, and not long after that I started worrying about "fitting into the dress," and all that other bridal insanity (despite having the same general body issues as everyone in the world, I really don't need to lose weight). As the holidays came around, I decided that I was going to do a sprint in 2009. It was enough time to train, and in addition to preparing for the race, the training would also help with the stress of wedding planning and take my focus off wanting to look a certain way or see a certain number on the scale for the wedding. I figured that was a much healthier attitude to take.

A good friend of mine lost her mother to cancer 5 years ago, and at the time she was training for a marathon. Between her mom's death and knee surgery, she never did the marathon. She is doing the tri with me as sort of a tribute to her mother and as a way to keep the committment she made to herself when training for the marathon.

Neither of us have delusions of placing in our age group; we just want to finish the race. We decided that for all this training, it seemed silly to just do one race, so we're considering doing 2 more sprints this year. The race we've signed up for is a .5 mi swim, 12.5 mi bike and 3.1 mi run on a relatively flat course (it was actually my fiance's first race and he suggested it as a good one to start with).

Right now, we are swimming between 2 and 4 times per week, going to spin class 2 or 3 times per week, strength training 3 times per week, and run/walking on the treadmill 2-4 days a week. At this point we are trying to build up a base fitness level so that when the weather gets nicer we can run and bike outdoors. I read and then passed on the book "Slow Fat Triathlete" which I found very inspirational (and quite funny, too!).

Right now, I'm trying to absorb as much information from as many people as possible, and I thought this forum would be a great way to hear about the challenges and successes of other people who are relatively new to this, too.

-Karen

2009-01-29 10:47 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

I am afraid to reach for my drink mid ride now and was far more comfortable, yet far far slower on my mountain bike.  I really need to spend some QT on the new bike and figure out how to drink while riding without tipping over.  Also peeking over my shoulder at traffic sends me into a ditch as well.  Help!!!

I have similar issues with my new bike. I've mostly ridden mountain bikes up until now, but my son got mine stolen from a BART station so I had to get a new one. I have an entry-level road bike, but it's still a lot of bike for me. I'm so wobbly! Actually, I did manage to take a drink last weekend, but not enough. So I'm getting better. I'm not sure I'd be able to do it in a race though. I was pretty alone on the rec trail once it started raining so I didn't have a lot of traffic to worry about.

P.S. I *loved* Slow, Fat, Triathlete.

Edited by MacMadame 2009-01-29 10:49 PM
2009-01-30 7:38 AM

blbriggs - 2009-01-29 8:18 AM

"Hi!

I noticed a lot of people asking about equipment, so I thought I would throw mine out here." 

bl:Thanks!

That was helpful. I love reading about everyone's stuff.  I am heading up to another city to look at cervelos and felts today because we don't have any in the area and am so excited. 

Here is the very limited amount I have to offer.

I have only completed one tri but my transition times were good in part due to my race belt (great idea). I also attended a free lesson given by a seasoned vet in our tri club that was so beneficial.  (for example I would have never thought to bring a warm water bottle to rinse the sand off of my feet).

I bought a tri suit at Skirtsports.com which often has sales and good deals and, again, takes a lot of the thought out of the transition. 

I agree with you, though, about the hydration. I really didn't need to worry too much about it during the sprint, but I mixed half gatorade, half water on my bike and I won't be doing that again.  yuch.

Thats all I got, but my worry leading up to my first was more about the transition (and getting into people's way) and this helped.

Happy training everyone!

KJ

Edited by k-jo 2009-01-30 7:39 AM

2009-01-30 10:34 AM
in reply to: #1934687

Hi Sharma,

Welcome to the group.  I will close it after you, so we won't have too many people. 

Your goals look right on.....cycling looks great!  

J

2009-01-30 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1935136

You can always use the spinervals Cd's or you can get a trainer for your road bike and set it up.  That would be your best bike. The stationary bike will just gather dust in a few months/years.  I use my trainer 2-3 times a week and they are great workouts for the winter.  You will need a bike anyway, so may as well go ahead with that purchase vs. the stationary trainer.

J

2009-01-30 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1935895

I wouldn't do too much training if any while you are sick.  It's always better to let yourself heal and recover. If you do any exercise, make sure it's all lower HR....recovery zones.

J

2009-01-30 10:46 AM

Hey guys,

A couple of things here on gear/equipment.  I wanted to list the basics that I feel are essential for getting started in triathlon:

Swim:  Goggles and cap.  Get some decent goggles, as you don't want to struggle with them in the water in terms of fogging or leaking.  I use speedo's and TYR goggles.

Bike:  You have to have a bike.  I would suggest a road/tri bike. not a mountain bike. If you have a mountain bike, I would suggest you get road tires put on it, because riding on the road with those mountain tires is going to make you pretty tired, pretty quickly!   You also need a helmet of course.  Make sure it fits you and has no cracks!  Bike shoes with clips are a must too if you are going to ride a road bike.  You can ride with running shoes, but you will soon figure out that it is most difficult

Optional bike accessories:  computer to measure speed, distance, and cadence.   Bike trainer for indoor workouts in bad weather

Run:  Good fitting running shoes.  Don't skimp on these as they will increase your chances of getting injured if they are old or worn down.  May as well invest in a good pair to prevent injuries in the future.  I use Asics Nimbus and Asics DS Trainers.  I have just ordered a pair of Nike Luanar Trainers and will testing those out to see how they work.    You also will need running shorts, dri-fit shirts, etc. so you won't get too sweaty in your old cotton ones. 

HR Monitor:  I would say this is the most important piece of optional equipment you can buy.  In fact, I wouldn't even call it optional.  It's a must in my book.  One that measures HR, distance, pace, etc. is even better.  I use the Garmin Forerunner 305.  It's an awesome tool.

Coaching/ Coaching plans:  Have a plan or coach make you a schedule so you will know how to train and most importantly know when not to train.  There is a fine line between enough and too much.

Race Suit:  You will need something to race in.  A Swimsuit will work, though there is little padding. there are several tri-suits available as well out there.  You can find some deals on last years stock if you look around on some of the triathlon websites:  all 3 sports, sbr multisports, tri-zone, etc.

Hope this helps.

J

2009-02-04 1:31 AM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

Hey guys, I joined a tri club!

I'm very happy because they have a lot of coached workouts. I went to one tonight -- a track workout. Tomorrow I'll do the swim workout. Sat. is "New to the Sport" which is mostly biking, I think.

Oh and I won a $50 gift certificate to trisports.com. More goodies for me!

2009-02-09 10:51 PM
in reply to: #1918994

J - Thanks for all your advice.  Sorry I did not write back sooner.  I have been swamped with my last year in college and then, of course, getting back into the workout routine.  Man - it feels great.  I can't believe I ever stopped.  I need the workout every single day!  It turns my bad day into a great one.  Anyway, I am still planning to do the "Sprint Tri" July 18th.  Most nervous about the "gear" part and swim portion.  Do you go from swimming in a one-piece to putting on some shoes and shorts quickly and then biking?  Thanks for your help.

Micaela

2009-02-11 6:34 AM
in reply to: #1953899

Hi Micaela,

I would suggest getting a "tri-suit" so you don't have to change clothes. It will be much easier and faster and you don't have to worry about putting on a shirt when you are wet. etc.  Most tri sites have them available. 

You simply need to wear your tri-suit, run to transition, put your helmet and shoes on, and jump on your bike.  Then, after the bike ride, come back into transition area, put your running shoes on and take off.  I use "YANKZ" shoe laces for my shoes so I don't have to tie them.  you can get those online or at your local running store as well.  I also wear a visor and sunglasses on the run.  Don't forget your race belt on the run! 

J

2009-02-11 6:35 AM

Hey guys!  How's everyone doing? There hasn't been much activity out there, so wanted to see if anyone had any questions, etc for me?  If not, then I am going to post something on transitions this week---just some general information so everyone knows what to do in transition!

Enjoy your week!

Jennifer

2009-02-12 1:49 AM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

I need some wetsuit advice. My "New to the Sport" workout is talking about doing an Open Swim at the end of this month and I'm doing a "Champions" clinic on March 22nd that is going to be about wet suits (But at the pool) and then my first tri on April 19th. So that's 3 times I'll need a wet suit in the next 10 weeks.

But I don't want to buy one because I'm still losing weight. I had planned to rent for the tri but I'm wondering if renting 3 times would be expensive enough that it's worth buying one.

So my questions are:

1) How much "give" is there in these suits? If I get one that fits now, will it still fit when I lose my last 15-30 lb.? [I'm thinking I'll lose 10-15 lb. between now and the race and then another 0-15 over the next 6 months.]

2) Any advice on buying a used suit? Would that be worth it? Where would I look for one? Or are there better ways to save money on a new suit?

Edited by MacMadame 2009-02-12 1:49 AM
2009-02-12 6:00 PM

New user

yep more gear questions.  I am doing my first tri in April.  The swim portion is in a pool then outside to the cold rain in this part of the country.  A trisuit that is geared for summer makes sense since most races are in the summer.  I don't want to buy another one just for a spring race.  Suggestions?  Thanks.

2009-02-15 3:07 PM
in reply to: #1958248

In regards to the wetsuite rental.  I know you can do that at some locations, just don't know how much they cost.  There is some "give" in those suits, however, you dont' want it to be too tight that you end up hyperventilating in the swim at a race.  They are already tight enough!  If you can find a good used one, then go that route.  Go to the wetsuit's website to see what size you wear, then go from there.  After you get to your weight goal, then try and find one that you like. 

I am thinking about selling mine to get a new one.  pretty good shape with a few  knicks/cuts in it from use the past three years.  It is a Quintana Roo and I think it's a women's medium.  Would it fit you?

Hope that helps.

J

2009-02-15 3:08 PM
in reply to: #1959647

Ooooh, the early season race.  I have raced many that you think you are going to be cold in, but by the time you get to the run, you are warmed up and sweating!  I say just go with it.  You might be cold at first, but no sense in buying a new one.

J

2009-02-15 7:29 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

Actually, from the web sites, I think I might be a WM. I can see that if I wait until I hit a normal BMI, I'll be in a range where even if I lose more weight, I'll still fit in the same size. But right now I'm about 10 lb. over fitting in that size.

I'm going to try some on at a local store tomorrow so I can figure out better how they fit and what size I really am.

Plus pick up some bike shorts. I can't believe I've been riding so much without them.

2009-02-17 1:49 PM

Hey Everyone,

Took some time off while sick but am happy to be back.  I was encouraged that I could still run after taking 10 days off.  I'm enjoying all the posts and find the information on transitions and equipment very helpful.  I'm also excited to read "Slow, fat triathlete"...sounds like a good read.  

I have 2 young boys at home and am having a hard time getting in more than 1 run, 1 spin, and 1 swim per week.  On the off days I'm working on yoga & pilates to strengthen but am getting a bit discouraged that I can't do more.  With this schedule, should I focus on each sport equally for now until i get closer to the race (august 8) or should i focus on one at a time?  Once the weather gets better (I'm in Michigan)  I will be able to increase my training by running in the morning or evening and biking outdoors, so by April i should be able to do more.  What should I focus on in the meantime when i can't get out?

Thanks

Lisa

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jlesser's Mentor Group FULL! Rss Feed  

of 4