of 22

2008-12-26 3:28 PM
in reply to: #1856717

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Subject: RE: Amschrod's Group - FULL

Hey guys,

So in my effort to have a more organized swim, I went to the pool today with a plan.  My workout was going to be mainly drills (I got it from the book The Perfect Distance, which my husband gave me for Christmas), and I was excited to have a focus.  So after about 600 yds, I started feeling a little "sea-sick".  I pushed through a little longer and it just got worse, so I cut it short.  I went to get my husband off the stationary bike, picked up the kids from childcare, and barely made it home (I lost breakfast in the driveway!)  I have no idea what happened!  I'm feeling better, but still a little shaky.  How weird is that?

Sorry for the details, but I had to share with people who would probably understand!

K

2008-12-28 12:52 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

Happy Post Holiday everyone.

Just got home from a few days at my sister's house.  Had a good time.  Got some nice biking gear- all I need to do now is decide on a bike and buy it!  I had 2 good runs while I was there.  There is a great little trail -4 mile loop. On Christmas we(hubby and I) did a 5 mile tempo run, yesterday was a 10 mile distance.  I about died on the long run but was able to maintain a decent pace throughout the whole thing which was a positive.  It was nice to have my hubby with me. He doesnt run much but jumped at the chance to get away from my family for an hour.  Even though we dont really talk much when we run, it was nice to have someone there pushing me a little.  I am still undecided on my bike- go with local shop or get the best bike for the $$ online???  Now that I have all the gear I need, I am more motivated to get it NOW!  Back to the gym tomorrow to burn off some of those cookies!

Hope all is well with everyone- stay warm and dig out of that snow!

Ps its got to be near 70 degrees today!

Paula

2008-12-28 7:02 PM
in reply to: #1872554

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2008-12-26 11:53 AM

Hey hey

Happy Boxing Day

Happy Boxing Day to you, as well!

I'm back from the family trip to Tahoe, although I didn't think I would make it! Many, many feet of snow, a 2 wheel drive rental car and nowhere in town had chains to fit it, and we got a puncture as we pulled onto the driveway at home!

Anyway very little in the way of specific training but I did many miles of walking (carrying a 40lb kid) and ice skating. I will try to get in an hours ride today

J

Glad you got home safe; sounds like a tough trip. Hope you enjoyed Tahoe. I would really like to get there someday. Now that the holidays have past, definitely time to get back to training.

Anthony

2008-12-28 7:09 PM
in reply to: #1872771

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2008-12-26 4:28 PM

Hey guys,

So in my effort to have a more organized swim, I went to the pool today with a plan.  My workout was going to be mainly drills (I got it from the book The Perfect Distance, which my husband gave me for Christmas)

Nice job, hubby!!

and I was excited to have a focus.  So after about 600 yds, I started feeling a little "sea-sick".  I pushed through a little longer and it just got worse, so I cut it short.  I went to get my husband off the stationary bike, picked up the kids from childcare, and barely made it home (I lost breakfast in the driveway!)  I have no idea what happened!  I'm feeling better, but still a little shaky.  How weird is that?

Sorry for the details, but I had to share with people who would probably understand!

K

Didn't say in your log if you were feeling better, but you worked out yesterday so I hope you are feeling better. Maybe a bug? I know there's something going around here like that.

Anthony

2008-12-28 7:15 PM
in reply to: #1874488

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2008-12-28 1:52 PM

Happy Post Holiday everyone.

Just got home from a few days at my sister's house.  Had a good time.  Got some nice biking gear- all I need to do now is decide on a bike and buy it!  I had 2 good runs while I was there.  There is a great little trail -4 mile loop. On Christmas we(hubby and I) did a 5 mile tempo run, yesterday was a 10 mile distance.  I about died on the long run but was able to maintain a decent pace throughout the whole thing which was a positive.  It was nice to have my hubby with me. He doesnt run much but jumped at the chance to get away from my family for an hour.

Nice job by another hubby! Even if the motive was'nt 100% pure That's a lot of running over the weekend. Well done!

Even though we dont really talk much when we run, it was nice to have someone there pushing me a little.  I am still undecided on my bike- go with local shop or get the best bike for the $$ online???  Now that I have all the gear I need, I am more motivated to get it NOW!  Back to the gym tomorrow to burn off some of those cookies!

Best of luck with the bike purchase. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Anthony
2008-12-28 7:45 PM
in reply to: #1872512

User image

Expert
amschrod - 2008-12-26 11:15 AM
SpokaneJo - 2008-12-24 6:00 PM

As for swimming, do any of you have recommendations for workouts? Right now I've built up a base of 800-1500 yards and am doing lap after lap after lap. I need to get in some variety. The visualization tips helped.

Excellent job getting the distance in. I personally don't do a lot of drills, but at every swim workout, after warming up, I do 4-6 sets of 100 yards as fast as I can being careful to maintain good form with about 15 seconds rest in between. Any chance of getting a little bit of coaching at your pool? Also, here at BT, if you upgrade your membership, the training plans have some pretty detailed swim workouts.

Anthony

This got me thinking over the weekend, both about how to help you out, and about my own swim training. 

A couple of confessions about my own swim training. First, I don't swim nearly enough. To give you an idea, my longest swim leading up to Escape from Alcatraz was only about 2000 yards, and the Alcatraz swim is a mile and a half (2640 yards). Second, I don't do many drills to work on my form. I learned to swim freestyle or crawl when I was 7 years old and joined swim team, so that's 43 years ago (YIKES!!), and I still pretty much swim the way I learned back then. The big thing I work on in the swim is body position and keeping my hips up since they tend to sink. This is a big deal, because if your hips sink, it creates a lot of drag and you really have to fight the water. I've gotten much better, but maybe this Winter I will try some pull buoy drills to get better.

Now for hopefully a little more help for Joann. I know that "Total Immersion"  swimming is very popular here and amongst triathletes. Here's a link to their web site which you may find helpful: TI Swimming. I have one of their books and maybe a DVD somewhere, but I never really used them. If you would like, I could send them to you, just PM me an address.

In searching the boards, I found this which could be useful. Workouts in a Binder: Swim Workouts for Triathletes.  Sounds interesting. Maybe I will order it for myself!

Anthony

2008-12-28 7:59 PM

User image

Expert

Whew! So much posting I almost forgot to post about my own training. Today I rode my bike for the first time in a looooooooong time, and it felt great! It was only 20 miles, but I really enjoyed it. I could really feel that it's been too long, especially climbing because I was fading towards the top of the hills. Apparently my bike is mad at me for ignoring her because she punished me with a flat tire. Luckily, it was like 50 degrees today, so changing the tube wasn't too bad.

As I was changing my tire, I realized that some of you are new cyclists, so I thought I would share with you what I carry in my saddle bag on every ride: Multi tool, 2 tubes, 3 tire levers, a CO2 inflator , and 3 CO2 cartridges. It actually all fits in a pretty small saddle bag. As you can see, I like to have a little extra just in case. I also carry a cell phone and 5 dollars in my jersey. 

Anthony

2008-12-29 12:16 AM
in reply to: #1874828

User image

Glad you got home safe; sounds like a tough trip. Hope you enjoyed Tahoe. I would really like to get there someday. Now that the holidays have past, definitely time to get back to training.

Anthony

Oh yeah - training I remember that thing, I'll be trying to get out for a run tomorrow morning before work but I have just caught the stinking cold that has gripped my (snotty) 2 yr old for the past week.

Wish me luck!

J

2008-12-29 11:26 AM

User image

I am very pleased to report that I actually did some training today!

I got up nice and early and got a 3 mile run. I guess I should have done more but this cold is getting me down and after 20 something mins I was wheezing and sweating like a pig, despite the 40F weather.

Onto the bike tomorrow

J

2008-12-30 5:31 AM

User image

Wilmington NC

Just got in from my morning speedwork session.  It was nice out 42 degrees and very little wind.  I had 6x400 to do.  Felt great throughout and beat my speed by at least 5 seconds every lap. 6 mile tempo run scheduled for thursday and long run on sat with some swimming and spin bike in between.   I ordered my bike yesterday- I went with the Motobecane Gigi (wsd) from bikesdirect.com.  For $1000 delivered ,I am getting a great bike with carbon rear triangle and fork, aluminum frame, all 105 parts and an ultegra rear derailler.  Hope she's comfy!  Should be here by monday if not this friday!  I am very excited, orderd my new shoes and bike computer too.  Also got a "tri" swimsuit for 12 bucks!  Gotta love ebay.

Hope everyone's training is going well

Rock on

Paula

2008-12-30 8:34 AM
in reply to: #1877289

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Roadtoad22 - 2008-12-30 6:31 AM

Just got in from my morning speedwork session.  It was nice out 42 degrees and very little wind.  I had 6x400 to do.  Felt great throughout and beat my speed by at least 5 seconds every lap. 6 mile tempo run scheduled for thursday and long run on sat with some swimming and spin bike in between.   I ordered my bike yesterday- I went with the Motobecane Gigi (wsd) from bikesdirect.com.  For $1000 delivered ,I am getting a great bike with carbon rear triangle and fork, aluminum frame, all 105 parts and an ultegra rear derailler.  Hope she's comfy!  Should be here by monday if not this friday!  I am very excited, orderd my new shoes and bike computer too.  Also got a "tri" swimsuit for 12 bucks!  Gotta love ebay.

Nice workout!  I'm excited for you to get your bike (and, admittedly, a little bit jealous).  You'll have to post pics once you get it!

2008-12-30 2:20 PM

User image

Yeah, nice run Paula

I'm going to try the bike tonight with a spinervals dvd, I just can't shake this head full of cold at the moment though so I'm not getting any swimming done

J

2008-12-30 7:22 PM
in reply to: #1878159

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington

Hi Guys,

I've been focusing on swimming and snow shoveling this past week. Both are going well. I broke the 3 minute per 100 yards barrier, which has been a big one for me (in swimming, not shoveling). And I've started to enjoy the shoveling workout; it's a great core exercise (and arms and legs).

Anthony, thanks for the swimming links. I learned to swim from the TI book, and I may order the Swim Workout Binder book. I bought a book today by Steve Tarpinian, so that may give me some ideas for variety and drills.

Happy new year (a day early) to everybody.

Joann

2008-12-30 7:44 PM
in reply to: #1875872

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2008-12-29 12:26 PM

I am very pleased to report that I actually did some training today!

I got up nice and early and got a 3 mile run. I guess I should have done more but this cold is getting me down and after 20 something mins I was wheezing and sweating like a pig, despite the 40F weather.

Onto the bike tomorrow

J

Even with a cold, your training pace is pretty close to my 5K PR pace. I'm impressed, and just a little bit jealous

Anthony

2008-12-30 7:49 PM
in reply to: #1877477

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2008-12-30 9:34 AM
Roadtoad22 - 2008-12-30 6:31 AM

Nice workout!  I'm excited for you to get your bike (and, admittedly, a little bit jealous).  You'll have to post pics once you get it!

Yes, very nice workout. New bikes are fun, and I am also a little jealous. Have fun with her!

Anthony

2008-12-30 7:52 PM
in reply to: #1878658

User image

Expert
SpokaneJo - 2008-12-30 8:22 PM

Hi Guys,

I've been focusing on swimming and snow shoveling this past week. Both are going well. I broke the 3 minute per 100 yards barrier, which has been a big one for me

Congrats on reaching a milestone! Your hard work has paid off. Do you think you are getting a better "feel" for the water?

Anthony

2008-12-30 7:57 PM

User image

Expert

Now that December is over, does anyone have any ideas for an avatar for me? I use Hermie at Christmas because I am a dentist, but now it's time to retire him until next year.

My run training is feeling good, but it's definitely time to get back in the pool, and on the bike, even if I have to get on the trainer.

Anthony

2008-12-30 11:41 PM
in reply to: #1878731

User image

amschrod - 2008-12-30 5:57 PM

Now that December is over, does anyone have any ideas for an avatar for me? I use Hermie at Christmas because I am a dentist, but now it's time to retire him until next year.

My run training is feeling good, but it's definitely time to get back in the pool, and on the bike, even if I have to get on the trainer.

Anthony

A dentist eh? Well how amount a famous scene from the movie - marathon man?

J

2008-12-30 11:43 PM

User image

For myself I got in a bike workout as the fog has descended into the valley here. 45 mins on the trainer in the garage, made very easy by the Xmas present I got from my darling wife - a new ipod nano, mow I can watch movies while I ride instead of staring at the side wall of the freezer and the front of my car!

J

2008-12-31 8:14 AM
in reply to: #1879111

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
jpjewels - 2008-12-31 12:43 AM

For myself I got in a bike workout as the fog has descended into the valley here. 45 mins on the trainer in the garage, made very easy by the Xmas present I got from my darling wife - a new ipod nano, mow I can watch movies while I ride instead of staring at the side wall of the freezer and the front of my car!

J

OMG!!! I have an ipod nano and never even thought of putting a movie on it for while I'm on the spin bike! Brilliant!

On another note, I found an article with 1750 yd. beginner swim workouts.  All of the intermediate ones are still a little too hard for me.  These look like I could actually complete them in a reasonable amount of time.  Here's the link:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1205

2008-12-31 11:15 AM

User image

Hey

The movie to ipod took me a little time to work out, and it only seems to work with the later generations of ipod. I have had a 1st gen nano since they came out and that won't play movies but now I have a 4th gen and it works well. Just get DVD fab 5 software and it all falls into place

I will look at those swim workouts. Thanks. I may try the pool on Friday but I suspect it will be busy even early in the morning with the "it's a new year I better exercise for a week" crowd

J

Happy New Year everyone

2008-12-31 2:25 PM
in reply to: #1879109

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2008-12-31 12:41 AM
amschrod - 2008-12-30 5:57 PM

Anthony

A dentist eh? Well how amount a famous scene from the movie - marathon man?

J

I like that idea, but I would be afraid of scaring people away. I decided to be traditional, so this is my favorite race picture from my favorite(so far) race.

Edited by amschrod 2008-12-31 2:27 PM
2008-12-31 2:35 PM
in reply to: #1879390

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2008-12-31 9:14 AM
jpjewels - 2008-12-31 12:43 AM

J

OMG!!! I have an ipod nano and never even thought of putting a movie on it for while I'm on the spin bike! Brilliant!

I should move my trainer in front of the TV in the basement; maybe that would get me to use it more.

On another note, I found an article with 1750 yd. beginner swim workouts.  All of the intermediate ones are still a little too hard for me.  These look like I could actually complete them in a reasonable amount of time.  Here's the link:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1205    

I like that article. Great find!

Anthony

2009-01-01 10:52 AM

User image

Expert

Happy New Year everyone!!! I hope everyone had fun last night. We stayed home, watched "It's a Wonderful Life" and played "Rock Band" on the PlayStation. Very exciting

Got my first run of 2009 in this morning. A little chilly with the temp around 12, pretty windy, and still some snow on the roads in some spots. Maybe I'm a little strange, but I always feel hard core when the icicles start to form in my eyebrows.

Here's to a great 2009!!

Anthony

2009-01-01 6:51 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

Happy New Year!

I hope to make 2009 the year of the "NEW"- I am trying a new sport of Triathlons, getting a new bike, hopefully new clothes to go with my new slimmer body with new muscles, and some new friends.

I had a nice 6 mile tempo run in the cold wind this morning.  I averaged 8:47 which is 10 seconds slower than my goal pace for the run but I still was pleased.  If I can just keep this up, I should break the 2 hour mark in my 1/2 in Feb.

Tomorrow I plan to meet up with a local multisport group for a swim session.  Should be interesting, I have been alone in my tiny pool at my gym for the last few weeks.  This gym has a real pool with people who actually swim!  The local YMCA is starting their  TRI training group to the tune of $558 for jan- sept!  I am glad there is a new tri store that is offering the training group for free!

Tomorrow also starts the registration for the local races.  They fill up fast so you have to make the decisions now for the first few races.  I am thinking of a sprint in March.  That should be enough time to at least be comfortable finishing right?  I want to get one under my belt before the big one in May that I will be focusing on.  It's a 300 m pool swim, 10 mile bike and 5K.  Its a month after my 1/2 marathon- I think I will be fine but since I have never done one I am not sure.

Happy New Year everyone

Rock On!

Paula

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Amschrod's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22