Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 137

2008-12-20 7:48 AM
in reply to: #1856928

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - FULL

My schedule varies, but I'm halfway following the BT Olympic 2x wk balanced plan.  I have commitment issues though, so I just use it as a general guideline.

So ideally my schedule would look like:

Monday: a.m. lift weights
p.m. swim

Tues: long run

Wed: ride

Thurs: lift and run, sometimes a dance class (yep, big dork)

Friday: Long swim

Saturday or Sunday: Long ride

Long runs right now are around an hour (nearest race is only 6 miles) and long bike is about 1.5 hours.  Long swim is around 1500-2000m.

2008-12-20 2:44 PM

Hello everyone. I realize I am a little late posting my info but here it is:

NAME: Scott

STORY: I was the victim of peer pressure a few years ago. A friend talked me into doing a sprint in Hilton Head and I decided that I loved the sport. I have no background in any of the three areas, which makes it even more appealing. I have done about 8-10 tris but all have been sprints. I am looking forward to doing longer distances this year. I only did one tri in 2008 because I decided to run my first marathon. My summer was dedicated to running. I ended up with a stress fracture so I am in recovery mode now.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Karen (a runner) for 17 years. We have two great children, one of which has done a kids triathlon. He cried after but I told him I almost did after my first one too!

CURRENT TRAINING: I am just doing spin classes right now as I recover from the injury. I hope to start running again in January. I have not been in the pool for months so I will need to ramp up quickly. I am way too slow of a runner and need to improve this year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: One sprint, a bunch of 10k's and the Marine Corp Marathon.

2009 RACES: Not sure yet. Probably some sprints, maybe an Oly and, if all goes well, a marathon in the fall.

WEIGHTLOSS: Need to lose a few pounds but I've come a long way in the last few years. It fluctuates during this time of year.

2008-12-20 8:41 PM
in reply to: #1864086

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
evondo - 2008-12-19 4:43 PM

Out of curiosity... what's everyone's training schedule? So then we'll know when to 'inspire' you on your training log For those that have done a tri before, did you write your own training plan, use a BT one or just fly by the seat of your pants?

My schedule:
M: run (hills)
T: swim (am) / bike (pm)
W: run (intervals/progressive)
R: swim (am) / bike (pm)
F: long run (am)
Sa: long bike (am)
Su: OFF

I read a couple different books, articles inTriathlete mag, and asked others questions tocome up with a training plan. I used a lot of bricks and covered all 3 sports a few times each week. I definetly need to get on a more organized and structured plan for IMFL. training sched: right now I am only running... I am avg'ing 30 miles a wk. I haven't been putting any time on the bike or in the water mid-Nov. that will change soon.another reason I was drawn to evondo, is his swim experience. I lose the majority of time in the water. I would like to get faster in that realm.
2008-12-20 9:22 PM
in reply to: #1864902

User image

Master
Houston

Welcome! Sorry to hear about the injury but you're doing the right thing with giving it time to heal.  Do you have an olympic race in mind or waiting to see how the sprints go first?

sjf21 - 2008-12-20 2:44 PM Hello everyone. I realize I am a little late posting my info but here it is: NAME: Scott STORY: I was the victim of peer pressure a few years ago. A friend talked me into doing a sprint in Hilton Head and I decided that I loved the sport. I have no background in any of the three areas, which makes it even more appealing. I have done about 8-10 tris but all have been sprints. I am looking forward to doing longer distances this year. I only did one tri in 2008 because I decided to run my first marathon. My summer was dedicated to running. I ended up with a stress fracture so I am in recovery mode now. FAMILY STATUS: Married to Karen (a runner) for 17 years. We have two great children, one of which has done a kids triathlon. He cried after but I told him I almost did after my first one too! CURRENT TRAINING: I am just doing spin classes right now as I recover from the injury. I hope to start running again in January. I have not been in the pool for months so I will need to ramp up quickly. I am way too slow of a runner and need to improve this year. THIS YEAR'S RACES: One sprint, a bunch of 10k's and the Marine Corp Marathon. 2009 RACES: Not sure yet. Probably some sprints, maybe an Oly and, if all goes well, a marathon in the fall. WEIGHTLOSS: Need to lose a few pounds but I've come a long way in the last few years. It fluctuates during this time of year.

2008-12-20 9:32 PM
in reply to: #1865335

User image

Master
Houston

I'll be happy to help out anyway I can... What is a normal swim workout for you?

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2008-12-20 8:41 PM I haven't been putting any time on the bike or in the water mid-Nov. that will change soon.another reason I was drawn to evondo, is his swim experience. I lose the majority of time in the water. I would like to get faster in that realm.

2008-12-20 9:44 PM
in reply to: #1864447

User image

Master
Houston

Glad the calf is starting to feel better. Does it hurt more after running? If so, I'd recommend trying to only run every other day to help give it some rest.  If you substitute some biking for running while you're rehabbing you shouldn't lose any base fitness. Sometimes biking helps accelerate the rehab too...

Newtons1st - 2008-12-19 10:28 PM

So far this is my schedule while trying to get my calf to heal up well enough to run more. I dont have swimming because I am focusing on the Dual in Feb and need to get ready for the run part quickly. 

Basically I run at noon during and do the bike trainer Tues and Thurs. Either Sat or Sun I will do a long Bike ride. Long for me now is about 25-30 miles. My running started with 1 mile per session and last week was 1.25. Next week I will be doing 1.5. I am finally starting to make some small progress where the calf doesnt just hurt and ache all day. I am hoping by mid Jan I can get back to normal. I lift weights on MWF pm. 

2008-12-20 9:48 PM
in reply to: #1865408

User image

evondo - 2008-12-20 9:32 PM

I'll be happy to help out anyway I can... What is a normal swim workout for you?

no drill work... swim for distance/time. I would go to twin lakes or the pool and swim 1500m+ or 30mins+. I do some warm up & cool down. But that is really the jist of my swimming. I have watched TI Swimming & I feel my form is on par. I feel confident on how to push on the bike and run... speed work, spinning, long rides\runs, heart rate wo's...but swimming. I know I could really use some drills to improve technique.
2008-12-22 7:45 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

Someone feel free to tell me that drinking myself into a coma Saturday night knowing full well that I need to do my long ride yet on Sunday is not a good plan.

Happy Monday everyone.  Hope your weekends were great.

How's everyone handling their training over the holiday?  I'm trying to determine how I'm going to fit in workouts in between traveling to the icy north and the mandatory family extravaganzas.

2008-12-22 9:03 AM
in reply to: #1866921

User image

Master
Houston

The holidays/off-season is meant to have crazy nights and missed workouts so it sounds like you're on plan!

I've always have a tough time working out while on vacation so I'm just hoping to get in some short runs every other day or so. I'll be glad to get out of this cold front that just blew in yesterday and into some nice FL weather

Nicole83 - 2008-12-22 7:45 AM

Someone feel free to tell me that drinking myself into a coma Saturday night knowing full well that I need to do my long ride yet on Sunday is not a good plan.

How's everyone handling their training over the holiday?  I'm trying to determine how I'm going to fit in workouts in between traveling to the icy north and the mandatory family extravaganzas.

2008-12-22 9:13 AM
in reply to: #1865422

User image

Master
Houston

To know what drills would benefit you the most I really need to see your stroke.  We should try to meet up sometime after the holidays or if you can have someone take some video of you swimming that would be a start. I do have some drill videos that I made for a friend a while back I'll see if I can dig up and put online for everyone.

I can also help you create swim workouts with sets so it's not just straight swimming for a distance/time.  It'll make the workouts much more enjoyable and you'll get more out of it. Although I've never tried it, I've heard this website was pretty good for workouts too... http://www.swimplan.com/>

2008-12-22 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1867065

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

The weather here has been amazing.  We're having a "cold front" right now and the high is only supposed to reach a chilly 65 today, so be warned.    What part of FL are you heading to for the holiday? 

evondo - 2008-12-22 10:03 AM

The holidays/off-season is meant to have crazy nights and missed workouts so it sounds like you're on plan!

I've always have a tough time working out while on vacation so I'm just hoping to get in some short runs every other day or so. I'll be glad to get out of this cold front that just blew in yesterday and into some nice FL weather

2008-12-22 9:59 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY

I haven't really been following a set schedule lately, and with holiday time here my workouts have been especially sporadic.  I'm typically not one for New Year's resolutions, but I like to make a list of goals to accomplish for the coming year.  One of my goals come January 2 (I'll need a day for the hangover to wear off Smile), I'm putting myself on/following a training schedule.  I'm part of a running club here, so I nearly always run with them Monday nights (4-5 miles  and Saturday mornings (5-7 miles).  It's hard for me to pin down an exact schedule....for now I modify it around what else I have going on during the week.  Here's a tentative schedule for now:

Monday: Run
Tuesday: Spin/Trainer or Swim
Wednesday: Run & pilates
Thursday: Trainer or Swim
Friday: Off
Saturday: Run
Sunday: Trainer

Nicole....I'm jelaous of your "cold front".  This morning when I left for work it was around 14 degrees, and according to weather.com -4 with the windchill.  So, I think today I'll hop on the trainer when I get home....too cold for running outside today.

2008-12-22 10:37 AM

User image

Thanks for the swim website. I'll definetly check it out. I would really like an opportunity for a trained eye to watch my stroke. If meeting after the new year, or post-marathon, is okay with you - I would do whatever it takes to make that happen. I had to break out the under armor running tights for my run this morning. Only in the 30's/40's but windy. I couldn't imagine 14 degrees. I almost considered the treadmill the morning...but I can only do 4miles tops on that. I am officially logging my training on BT... thanks for nudge Nicole!
2008-12-22 10:42 AM

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN
Yeah a cold front would be great about now.  It's been -6 (-30 degree windchill Cool) or so for about a week plus in Minnesota.  I have been thinking about the New Year situation as well.  Not sure what I'm gunna do but large amounts of drinking is not likely. 
2008-12-22 11:57 AM
in reply to: #1867346

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

You're welcome Tri_n!

I am not looking forward to the "wintery mix" in St. Louis this week... I feel everyone's pain with the intolerable cold.  I hope you all stay warm and don't go too batty on your trainer or the dreadmill.  Spring will be here before you know it.

2008-12-22 11:58 AM

User image

Cambridge, MA
Yeah enough of the beautiful weather stories for those of us in the less friendly climates....it snowed from 11AM on Friday until late evening on Sunday.

Question: I abhore training on my bike but realize I need to more. The only way that is oging to happen up here in MA is if I get some sort of inside trainer. Does anyone have any recommendations for the various trainers for inside biking. I go to the occasional spin class but really don't have the taste for the music or the crowd at my gym's spin classes.

2008-12-22 12:03 PM
in reply to: #1867091

User image

Master
Houston

Sounds like the only kind of cold front I like Weather here has been pretty good (65-75) but we've been getting 2-3 day spurts of 30-40 which stinks!

I'm headed into central fl, lake mary where the highs are 70-80 all week Laughing

Nicole83 - 2008-12-22 9:15 AM

The weather here has been amazing.  We're having a "cold front" right now and the high is only supposed to reach a chilly 65 today, so be warned.    What part of FL are you heading to for the holiday? 

evondo - 2008-12-22 10:03 AM

2008-12-22 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1867542

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

whshaw3 - 2008-12-22 12:58 PM Yeah enough of the beautiful weather stories for those of us in the less friendly climates....it snowed from 11AM on Friday until late evening on Sunday. Question: I abhore training on my bike but realize I need to more. The only way that is oging to happen up here in MA is if I get some sort of inside trainer. Does anyone have any recommendations for the various trainers for inside biking. I go to the occasional spin class but really don't have the taste for the music or the crowd at my gym's spin classes.

I have a cycle ops fluid trainer that I love.  It's relatively quiet and simulates riding outdoors nicely.  I bought mine from a local bike shop that had 3 or 4 models for sale.  I brought in my bike and they let me try each model before deciding which to purchase.

Warning, it's boring as hell riding those though.

2008-12-22 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1867346

User image

Master
Houston

Sounds good, we'll figure something out for after the marathon.  Hopefully meet you there... I'll be there running the 1/2, girlfriend is running the full so I'll be hanging around the finish line for a while.

I also had a very hard time getting out to run this AM, I hate the cold! 

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2008-12-22 10:37 AM Thanks for the swim website. I'll definetly check it out. I would really like an opportunity for a trained eye to watch my stroke. If meeting after the new year, or post-marathon, is okay with you - I would do whatever it takes to make that happen. I had to break out the under armor running tights for my run this morning. Only in the 30's/40's but windy. I couldn't imagine 14 degrees. I almost considered the treadmill the morning...but I can only do 4miles tops on that. I am officially logging my training on BT... thanks for nudge Nicole!

2008-12-22 12:25 PM
in reply to: #1867542

User image

Master
Houston

I'd recommend a fluid trainer... my first trainer was a magnetic one that didn't have very good resistance. My current trainer's resistance is harder than the road so you just have to ignore the mph or you'll get discouraged. I have the kurt kinetic road machine but I've also heard good things about cycle ops.

whshaw3 - 2008-12-22 11:58 AM Yeah enough of the beautiful weather stories for those of us in the less friendly climates....it snowed from 11AM on Friday until late evening on Sunday. Question: I abhore training on my bike but realize I need to more. The only way that is oging to happen up here in MA is if I get some sort of inside trainer. Does anyone have any recommendations for the various trainers for inside biking. I go to the occasional spin class but really don't have the taste for the music or the crowd at my gym's spin classes.

2008-12-22 2:34 PM
in reply to: #1867610

User image

Master
New York, NY
evondo - 2008-12-22 1:25 PM

I'd recommend a fluid trainer... my first trainer was a magnetic one that didn't have very good resistance. My current trainer's resistance is harder than the road so you just have to ignore the mph or you'll get discouraged. I have the kurt kinetic road machine but I've also heard good things about cycle ops.

whshaw3 - 2008-12-22 11:58 AM Yeah enough of the beautiful weather stories for those of us in the less friendly climates....it snowed from 11AM on Friday until late evening on Sunday. Question: I abhore training on my bike but realize I need to more. The only way that is oging to happen up here in MA is if I get some sort of inside trainer. Does anyone have any recommendations for the various trainers for inside biking. I go to the occasional spin class but really don't have the taste for the music or the crowd at my gym's spin classes.

I also have the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine and I'm really happy with it!  It's relatively quiet, and it has a lifetime guarantee.  I had a few problems putting it together when I first got it, and their customer service people could not have been more helpful.

2008-12-22 4:25 PM

User image

I have a Cycle Ops Fluid II trainer... very smooth and quiet.  Like the others have said, I would recommend the fluid vs. the magnetic.  Keep an eye on craigslist or ebay... you might find a good deal versus paying full retail.  These are much cheaper than a "spinning" bike and gives you the opportunity to spend some time in your own saddle.  Work out kinks in your OWN bike setup, especially if you have not been "fitted" on your ride. 

TiVo'd Ironmans from versus makes for good inspiration and watching while slaving away on the mind-numbing experience that is the trainer...  I would rather ride the trainer then the Dreadmill... 

2008-12-23 7:49 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

Good morning everyone!  I'm flying out this afternoon for STL and probably won't be online much between now and Sunday.

So happy holidays to everyone.

2008-12-23 9:12 AM

User image

Merry Christmas to all... I hope everyone has a happy and safe holiday. 
2008-12-23 10:09 AM

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN

In the winter I borrow my roomates Cycleops trainer and its not bad.  A riding buddy of mine has different ones that I started riding on.  what ever the hell he has kicks your butt big time.  At first I wasn't all that thrilled with them.  I don't think that trainers are very good simulators to real life riding.  Then I thought about it, if this thing can kill me how bad can it really be?  Having someone there is the best way to keep me from being board to tears on those things.

When is all this Tri goodness on TV?  I walked in half way through the '08 Kona a week or so ago, I thought that it was on in Feb.  Needless to say I did't get much done besides a lot of drooling.

By the way, today's quote is awesome.  Running won't kill you, you'll pass out first!!!  HAHA

Edited by Epyon 2008-12-23 10:38 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 137