BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Crowny2's HR Redlining Group - MAXED OUT Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-02-09 8:12 AM
in reply to: #1861805

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: Crowny2's HR Redlining Group - MAXED OUT

Hello everyone.  I hope everyone had a nice weekend.

So, at least one of you have had a race and I believe someone else actually had an indoor triathlon this weekend.  SOooooo, how did it go?  What did you learn?  How did you do?

As for the rest of you, how is training going?  Any lessons?  Any questions?

2009-02-11 8:25 AM

User image

Denver

I will confess that I haven't done much in the past week. My work is going through a restructuring and as a result I've logged lots of hours there. Once the dust settles, another week or two, I should be in a much more reasonable schedule.

Plus my new bike trainer arrived on Monday. I have a little clean up to finish in the basement and I will be all set to get on my bike at home as opposed to driving to the gym before work. It will make it more convenient and easier for me to squeeze workouts in when my work hours ramp up.

2009-02-11 8:35 AM

User image

Champion

Don't worry.  Sometimes life gets in the way. 

I believe I read somewhere that for the average Age Grouper, expect to miss about 10% of your workouts because of "life".  It happens.

I slept in this morning instead of getting up and doing a 60 minute spin on the trainer.  So now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to fit that in, plus catching the US v Mexico soccer match, and dinner and some time at the rock climbing gym with the wife.  Something might just have to give.  Maybe I can ride while watching the match. 

So, anyone else?!?!?  Come on!!  I KNOW there was a race on Sunday for someone.  NOT that I'm calling HER out or anything. 

2009-02-13 8:58 AM

User image

Champion

Alright, y'all.  I'm gonna be gone for a week on vacation so I won't be around.  I'll hit y'all up again next weekend when I return.

It's been pretty quiet in the group.  Hope everything is going well.  Have a great weekend and talk to you soon.

2009-02-23 8:07 AM

User image

Champion

Hey you guys!!!!!!  HELLOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'mmmmm baaaaaaaaack!

Ja miss me?

2009-02-23 12:35 PM
in reply to: #1976757

User image

Denver

Of course we did. How was your vacation?

I have some updating of my log to get to but I've gotten in some skiing and snow shoeing. I did my first ski trip of the year, so my legs are killing me. I spent the weekend in northern New Hampshire and did many long ski runs. A great lower body workout.

I will be in spin class in the morning and hopefully will have the basement room for the trainer set and ready to go by the weekend. Do you have any stretching recommendations for spinning and running? Thanks.

2009-02-23 9:15 PM

User image

Champion

Glad to see at least one of you missed me. 

I now know that at least 2 of you have done some races.  And none of you have done a race report yet.  So come on folks.  Start putting together a race report.  It makes a GREAT learning tool for the others.  

And for those that are coming up to races, I would recommend reading race reports from the same race from last year, if there are any.  It will give you a great idea of what to expect.  

2009-03-02 5:33 PM
in reply to: #1978299

User image

Denver

We had 16 inches of snow dropped on us last night. So I spent the first three hours of the day shoveling. The good news is that besides being snowed in all day, and the fact that I got a decent workout shoveling, is that I finally was able to clean the extra basement room and set up my bike and trainer. It took many trips to the curb with cut up move in boxes and half the day but it's time well spent.

My gym also just changed it's rules regarding spin class. You no longer have to call a day ahead to reserve a spot. It's first come first serve. That works because lots of people reserve and don't show up. So unless work goes crazy on me again I should finally be able to get some consistency in my training routine.

I am still targeting May10th as D-day. I'll update again later this week. Have a great one!

2009-03-04 10:31 AM

User image

Champion

Holla, holla.

S'up all you crazy cats.

Some a digging out of snow, others are trying to just dig themselves out of a lazy rut (at least that is how their logs look). 

Come on people.  WTF?!?!?!  You training or not?

Talk to me.  What's going on?  Life getting in the way?  Maybe we can help?  Something else holding you back?  Fess up.

You came here to train. 

SO! 

TRAIN!!!!!

2009-03-13 8:06 AM

User image

Champion

Anybody???

Bueller......

Bueller......

2009-03-17 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2015336

User image

Denver

I went for a 2.5 mile run last night and plan two more prior to Saturday - which is my next race day! I'm running a 5k and I am shooting for sub-10 minute miles. I felt really good last night and ran sub-10s. I feel like I am back on track - finally! For me it's all about just doing it. It also helps that I finished the workout space in my basement and the winter weather is finally relenting.

My work is forcing furloughs every quarter throughout the rest of the year to cut costs. Yes, that completely sucks but the positive spin is that I'll have a week-and-a-half off, starting this Friday, that I can use to get in a training rhythm. Including the weekends I'll have 12 days and I am planning for 8 run and/or bike workouts over the period. Starting with the 5k it will be a good way for me to build a little base and carry over the momentum into my schedule once I am back at work.

That's the plan. How is everyone doing? I know that we have been pretty quiet, but posting and getting some encouragement helps. Let's hear how you're doing!

2009-03-17 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2022565

User image

Champion
OldeCity - 2009-03-17 8:59 AM

I went for a 2.5 mile run last night and plan two more prior to Saturday - which is my next race day! I'm running a 5k and I am shooting for sub-10 minute miles. I felt really good last night and ran sub-10s. I feel like I am back on track - finally! For me it's all about just doing it. It also helps that I finished the workout space in my basement and the winter weather is finally relenting.

My work is forcing furloughs every quarter throughout the rest of the year to cut costs. Yes, that completely sucks but the positive spin is that I'll have a week-and-a-half off, starting this Friday, that I can use to get in a training rhythm. Including the weekends I'll have 12 days and I am planning for 8 run and/or bike workouts over the period. Starting with the 5k it will be a good way for me to build a little base and carry over the momentum into my schedule once I am back at work.

That's the plan. How is everyone doing? I know that we have been pretty quiet, but posting and getting some encouragement helps. Let's hear how you're doing!

Hey!  Thanks for the post.  Great information and good luck this weekend.  Looking forward to reading the race report.

And good job at finding the positive of the furlough.  I would recommend that as you get closer to having to go back to work, you start to schedule the workouts when you would do them when working.  In other words, first thing in the morning, or after work.  This will help when work comes back full time.

Keep it up!

2009-03-17 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2022713

User image

Denver

Hey!  Thanks for the post.  Great information and good luck this weekend.  Looking forward to reading the race report.

And good job at finding the positive of the furlough.  I would recommend that as you get closer to having to go back to work, you start to schedule the workouts when you would do them when working.  In other words, first thing in the morning, or after work.  This will help when work comes back full time.

Keep it up!

That (workout timing) is a great idea. Thanks!

2009-03-17 1:48 PM

Portland, OR
Finally back to training after a bit of a hiatus.  Hopefully I'll be able to catch up and get back on track.  Did a bike workout today that had one legged pedaling....ouch.  Hopefully everyones training is going well.
2009-03-18 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2023426

User image

Denver

Finally back to training after a bit of a hiatus.  Hopefully I'll be able to catch up and get back on track.  Did a bike workout today that had one legged pedaling....ouch.  Hopefully everyones training is going well.

The one legged pedaling reminds me of my college football off-season workouts (many, many moons ago). We had to do sprint drills up the first-level stadium steps - 44 of them. Some of the drills were one leg up every step. It was so painful I remember it was exactly 44 steps, 15+ years later...

Has anyone tried the Spinervals ultra conditioning DVDs? I'm thinking of getting the 2.0 CORE to add a mix of spinning/core workout once a week - I need it. It's gotten some good reviews online.

2009-03-18 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2023426

User image

Champion

tkdrq - 2009-03-17 1:48 PM Finally back to training after a bit of a hiatus.  Hopefully I'll be able to catch up and get back on track.  Did a bike workout today that had one legged pedaling....ouch.  Hopefully everyones training is going well.

Rock on!!!  Welcome back. 

Remember, gradually increase your workouts.  Don't try to jump into them great guns or you will burn yourself out.  I see you have the gold membership so use one of the planned programs.  If you are starting back late into the program, adjust it so that you aren't doing too high of a volume after not being able to do much.

We got your back! 

2009-03-18 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2025020

User image

Champion
OldeCity - 2009-03-18 9:21 AM

The one legged pedaling reminds me of my college football off-season workouts (many, many moons ago). We had to do sprint drills up the first-level stadium steps - 44 of them. Some of the drills were one leg up every step. It was so painful I remember it was exactly 44 steps, 15+ years later...

Has anyone tried the Spinervals ultra conditioning DVDs? I'm thinking of getting the 2.0 CORE to add a mix of spinning/core workout once a week - I need it. It's gotten some good reviews online.

I haven't, but I've heard good reviews as well.

2009-03-18 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2025051

Portland, OR
I am doing one of the planned programs.  thanks
2009-03-19 7:13 AM

User image

Denver
I am headed to the New England Multisport Expo on Saturday after the 5k. I'm planning to visit the booths and sit in on an seminar or two (plus I get a free Spinervals DVD!). If anyone has been to one of these - advice on must-see's or do's?
2009-03-19 8:40 AM

User image

Champion

Never been to one.  Have fun and report back. 

2009-03-22 8:09 PM

User image

Denver

The 5k was tough but ended well. I really liked the course (race report to come) and learned some lessons.

First, I accomplished my goal of a sub-30-minute 5k on my next race! My time was 29:54.7, so it was really close but I made it and I know I can do better next time. I was congested and throwing up (sorry for the detail) during mile 2. But I saw the finish line and clock a little while later and sprinted the last quarter mile (ran my off) and just made it.

Second, I haven't trained much since my last 5k in February. So to hit my goal without the benefit of a regular training program gives me confidence...I know that when I maintain a program I will see a lot more progress. Monday is the first day.

Third, all finsihers of the 5k got medals as they crossed the finish line. 2,000+ runners, it was really cool. So, technically, I medalled. All I can say is that I can't wait to earn that feeling in a tri. Looking at my St. Pat's medal will motivate me.

I went to the expo afterwards (pretty cool) and more on that in a separate post tomorrow...just got done home brewing a batch of beer and then doing my fantasy baseball draft.

2009-03-31 8:01 AM

User image

Champion

Alright, folks, when are the races coming up.  I just did an 8k this last weekend.  In the snow.  It was an adventure.

Got my first tri of the season at the end of April.

What about y'all?

2009-03-31 8:12 AM
in reply to: #2050501

User image

Denver

Initially I was targeting May 10th but I might move it to May 31st. I've had some pretty bad soreness in the lower left calf since Tuesday night last week. Plus a little in my left knee, but I've had that for years. So my plan is to stay on the trainer and see if the soreness corrects, if not I'll go to the doctor.

I'm running another 5k on May 3rd.

2009-03-31 8:23 AM

User image

Denver

The Multi-Sport Expo at MIT was pretty cool. I would recommend going if there is one near you. I'm not sure it's worth an overnight trip unless there are others things you can do while visting the city it's in.

It's primarily vendor booths for - yes you guessed it -  equipment, services and races. However, most of the race booths had $5 or $10 discount coupons and there were some giveaways (I got a nice Specialized water bottle).Lot's of discount equipment and sales. So it's a good place to go to stock up on stuff it you need it. For instance, rental/used Ironman wetsuits for $140, half price running shoes and cycling apparel, etc. The "race bag" was filled with coupons, some nutritional items and the Spinervals 27.0 Threshold Test & Suffer Fest DVD.

It also has quite a few seminars and clinics/workshops throughout the weekend. I could see the benefit of these for the more advanced atheletes. Perhaps next year I will take one or two in. Otherwise, I met the guy that runs Beginner Triathlete (very cool guy, gve me a great race recommendation for August) and I got stretched out by a local physical therapy firm.

2009-04-01 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2050528

User image

Champion
OldeCity - 2009-03-31 8:12 AM

Initially I was targeting May 10th but I might move it to May 31st. I've had some pretty bad soreness in the lower left calf since Tuesday night last week. Plus a little in my left knee, but I've had that for years. So my plan is to stay on the trainer and see if the soreness corrects, if not I'll go to the doctor.

I'm running another 5k on May 3rd.

Keep an eye on those sore areas.  Sounds like you are doing the right thing, though.

So what is your first tri?  A Sprint?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Crowny2's HR Redlining Group - MAXED OUT Rss Feed  

of 4