BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Susie's Tri Girls - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-01-05 6:39 PM
in reply to: #1886996

Honolulu
Subject: RE: Susie's Tri Girls - Closed

Did not make the treadmill run. started a 1200 cal diet on Saturday so felt very shaky and weak after swim.

FYI I am on vacation from work this week so able to ramp up my workouts a little, next week a challenge to find time again

2009-01-05 8:05 PM
in reply to: #1863127

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Jennifer, cruise, Italy....wow, how exciting!  Are your boys going too?

Karen, you should be able to work training for a 10k into the sprint program.  How far are you running now?

Terry, good call to not do the run.  Did you eat anything after the spin class?  I am concerned that 1200 calories might be a bit low on training days. You want to loose weight but also be healthy and feel good while loosing. 

I'm absolutely wiped out and I have a headache. It was the first day back at school after break.  Today is a rest day for me, which is good.  Tomorrow I have a 6 am class.  The Tri club I'm in at Lifetime Fitness started this class called Strength, Endurance, Stamina.  I started it in December.  The day after the first class I could not walk down the stairs. The class is brutal...I love it!  Tommorrow is the first class of the new session so I'm anticpating some new type of torture.  So, even though it's only 8pm it's time for jammies.

Hope you had a great Monday!

Susie

2009-01-06 12:51 AM

User image

West Richland

Got my first 'inspire' on my training log -- thanks Karen!

Had a great spin class tonight -- I sweat so much I embarrass myself :-) -- felt good!

Ruth

2009-01-06 2:01 AM
in reply to: #1888621

Honolulu
That]s OK you are probably not the only one sweating. I enjoy spinning too. Just wish they had more classes at the Y where I go. I do really need to get a real bike soon!!!
2009-01-06 2:05 AM
in reply to: #1888181

Honolulu
Thanks for the concern. I am going to probably have increase my calorie intake on training days. I was way too shaky and weak. Good luck in your class tmrw, sounds like a good class. Wish I could find a tri club here in Hawaii.
2009-01-06 5:01 AM

User image

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
Today is back to training with the tri-club.

This weeks plan:
Tuesday : Swim - speed work
Wednesday : Run - track
Thursday : Swim - endurance work
Friday : Optional run with strides
Saturday : Swim and bike (indoors)
Sunday : Long run - 45 minutes (cut down this week - coach doesn't want us to overtrain for now - we'll be starting 1/2 marathon specific training at the end of the month)

This weeks goal :
Get to bed early to sleep at least 7-8 hours a night.

I'll post the specifics in my training log after each day of training.

I always wonder how I'm going to get through the training week and I'm always amazed at the end of the week that I actually did it LOL

Time to get ready for work......

Patricia

2009-01-06 8:13 AM
in reply to: #1884054

Regular
Tomball, TX
Hi all, sorry I was out for the weekend - computer issues. My tri is actually April 1st...April Fools Day - ha!

I will try to update my log from the weekend - I just kept it in a notebook. This week will be the test....the kids are back in school as of today and all of their activities started yesterday - yikes!

Have a great week!
Juls
2009-01-06 8:18 AM
in reply to: #1884054

Regular
Tomball, TX
Jennifer - I did the same thing last year with my bike route. What I was riding was much shorter than actual mileage. I would think doing a 5k race would be motivating and a fun prep for your tri. When I did my first tri last year there were several who jogged/walked the run portion. I guess it depends on your goal....to finish or to get your best time....totally up to you. Mine goal was to finish and not be last Much to my amazement I did and wasn't even close to last. You will do fine!

Good luck on your cruise and I hope you stay safe....I guess you can always just stay on the ship if necessary but that is no fun when you are traveling to such great places.

2009-01-06 8:29 AM
in reply to: #1884934

Regular
Tomball, TX
Terri, my kids (9 & 11) go in spurts between wanting to go to the gym w/ me and not. They are old enough for me to reason (or bride if needed) and tell them this is important to me. It helps that we may have just completed their soccer practice (something they like to do).

I also try to get my running in with the dog in the morning or evening and/ or run around the soccer park while they are practicing - since I have to be there anyway. Having the support of your family is important and makes training much easier. For my swim if I can't get there by myself we go during family swim time at LifeTime Fitness and we all swim laps. My kids do swim team starting in April and it is beneficial to all of us.

Hope it helps! Happy Training!
Juls
2009-01-06 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1886996

Regular
Tomball, TX
Terri - do you like the spin classes? They have them a lot at my gym and I have thought of taking one but am a little intimidated....I guess the whole newness thing. There are so many "true bikers" in those classes.
2009-01-06 8:44 AM
in reply to: #1888181

Regular
Tomball, TX
Susie, do you like your tri class at LTF? They have one at our LTF as well and I have considered joinging but was afraid it would not have any beginners. Thoughts?

2009-01-06 9:23 AM

User image

New user
Northern California

Ruth, I actually envy you sweating! I know that sounds weird, but one of my body's little "quirks" is I don't sweat. Well, I do eventually, but I've had to learn how to listen really close to my body. I don't even know if I can explain what happens, but when I get to the point where I "should" be sweating, if I just push through it, I pass out. If I slow way down, rest, whatever for a couple minutes, then I start to sweat. I'm still not much of a sweater, and I do have to be careful about overheating because of it. (Yes, I've been evaluated by a doctor. She says my body is delayed- like its thermometer doesn't work right- don't remember the specific term- I just have to watch for it.) So, here you're worried about sweating so much and being embarrassed about it, and I get embarrassed for stopping in the middle of a spin class and slowing down to nothing.

This morning I'm walking, then swimming mid-morning. Had my first swim yesterday 400 meters. It's been awhile since I was in the pool, so it wasn't the same, but it wasn't exhausting and I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things.

2009-01-06 2:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

Hi everyone,

Just thought that some of you might like this Abs workout that I have been using. It's a great workout for the tummy.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486

Susie, I am running about 3.5-4 miles at a time now pretty comfortably. I have been working on it for about 5 months, I have to take it up real slow or I end up with shin splints and sore knees. 

Karen

2009-01-06 4:45 PM
in reply to: #1888904

Honolulu

I love the spin classes especially when there is good music. I started taking spin classes at my old gym about 6 months ago, I too was intimidated and took me a while to actually start it. The key is to get there at least 15 min early and speak with the instructor. He/she can set you up on the bike..seat height, handle bar height etc. You can adjust how hard or fast you wanna go and nobody will ever know. Let me tell you I had the crank all the way to the left (loose) the first couple of times. 

Make sure you wear padded bike shorts or get a gel cushion for the seat, I learned the hard way and got chafing in places you don't want to know about:0

2009-01-06 4:52 PM
in reply to: #1888868

Honolulu
Thanks to you all for answering my parenting and training question, it helps to see what other mothers do
2009-01-06 5:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

Julie, I workout at LTF also and have done the cycle classes. Like Terri said, get there a bit early and set your bike up. Get a nice cushy gel seat cover and you will do fine, the nice thing about the spin classes nobody knows how far to the right you turn the knob but you. You can work at your pace. Don't be intimidated, there will be other new people there too.

Do any of you ladies have a good pair of cycle shoes that you like? I am looking for a new pair. I have been using a pair that are as old as my youngest daughter, 12 yrs now. I think it's time. I would appreciate any in-put.

Karen

Edited by twohearted 2009-01-06 6:02 PM

2009-01-06 8:49 PM
in reply to: #1888904

Hi Juls
In regards to spinning, when I first started I always picked a bike in the back row so I could work at my own speed until I was comfortable. Just make sure you can see the instructor! I think you will be surprised at how helpful those hardcore cyclists are. Everyone respects people who are putting themselves out there and trying.
I understand your feelings of intimidation as a beginner. Triathletes can look like a daunting group. I was afraid to join the group I am with because I thought I was not athletic and who did I think I was kidding trying to start this adventure at my age??? But one day I just realized that if I was going to accomplish my goals I needed the people in that tri group's help. I showed up for a swim, announced I was a complete beginner and my journey began. I have never looked back. Check the triathlon group at your club out. If it's not for you, maybe the coach knows of some other local groups that may work for you.
Lori
2009-01-06 9:59 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Hi everyone,

Julie, in regard to the Tri club at Lifetime...I agree with Lori.  The group at my club is extremely varied as far as ability and age and tri exprierence.  There are people who have done multiple IMs and complete newbies. They have also been very welcoming to everyone new.  It's been great to have the advice of the more experienced.  In fact, this summer I went up to Madison with 5 guys to bike the IM course. (Talk about a little intimidating) But it was a great experience and I went into the actual race knowing the course which was invaluable.

So, the short answer after my ramble is check them out.  I've heard through the Tri grapevine, that Lifetime is planning on promoting Tri training big time within the next year. The leader of our group said they will be offering on-line training soon.

Karen, if you are already up to 3.5 - 4 miles you should easily be able to get to 10k by May, even adding slowly. You should only add 10% every week anyway.  You have plenty of time.  When you start your tri plan, just keep the running where you are at.

I'm thinking of taking an additional rest day tomorrow, or just doing a 1/2 hour run on my basement treadmill.  It's almost 10pm, which is way past my bed time (had a meeting at the high school) and I've been really tired since yesterday.  My class this morning was killer.  One thing I've learned is to listen to my body.  If I'm super tired, rest. Plus, it's the off season, so no reason to kill myself now.  Plenty of time to do that starting in the spring.

Susie

Edited by suzimmer 2009-01-06 10:00 PM
2009-01-06 11:54 PM

New user

Jennifer the trip sounds wonderful. I hope everything settles before you go.

Patricia- I wish there was a group like that here that just sounds great to have people with you and a plan. Juls- I am with you on just wanting to finish at this point. Hope to keep going and then next year beat my time.

Terri- Finding time to train with family is difficult. I have a 4 year old and a my little one will be two in March. Things were much easier in the summer when I could go out running in the morning before the girls woke up. This week on Saturday the family came to the pool with me and they played as I swam and then I got to go play with them for a bit after as my reward and we have a trainer for the bike so usually do that after the girls go to bed, that has been very wonderful!

Jennifer- I really don't sweat too much either. I have never ben evaluated but I can feel when it is getting to much and I slow down for a bit and then start back up after I have cooled down.

Ruth- I wouldn't worry about it that is what everyone is there for right! :-)

Karen- I was just talking to my husband tonight about bike shoes. I have never used them they actually scare me a little. I am not the most graceful person so I can see me getting stuck in them and falling over.

Lori- That is great that you built up the courage to go even though you were intimidated. Maybe I will have to try a spinning class since I am intimidated by that.

I have noticed the past few days that I really need to watch my eating. I have been good but since classes started I always seem to be putting something in my mouth and it sure isn't healthy stuff. So that is going to be my goal to keep the snacks to a minimum and have healthy things to choose from and get all this Christmas candy out of the house!

Edited by Heritage 2009-01-06 11:56 PM
2009-01-07 12:12 AM

User image

New user
Northern California

My bike shoes are 3 years old, so I don't know that it will be much of a help for you, but I love them. They're made by Specialized- though I don't know which model. I don't know a lot about bike shoes, of course, except that these are comfortable and easy to get in/out of.

I rode in them for almost 3 years without ever having a problem, though I will say I always unclick sooner than I probably should, just so I know I can! Then last month I rode with my kids to school. I got to the school and was going really slow. Completely forgot I was clipped in until I went to put my foot down at the stop sign and just tipped over. My kids were shocked- and I was more than a little embarrassed!

2009-01-07 5:07 AM

User image

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
I was also intimidated at first by the tri-club. Gezz some of these people did Ironman's and some of them are very fast (in my age group), what am I doing training with them??? I went anyway and wasn't the only beginner there. The girls (and guys) were extremely encouraging and told me that they all started somewhere.... Now I'm so glad I went. I do my own stuff (own pace) and TRY not to compare myself with everybody else. We are starting spinning on Saturday and I'm shy because I don't have a nifty road or tri bike. It's all in my head I guess. At least I'm there and I'm doing it right?!

Jennifer - ah bike shoes. I'm getting some of those this week (the clipless ones - why are they called clipless if you clip it?? hmm - anyway). I'm so scared of them lol

Susie - I really have to listen to my body as well or else I pay for it. When I'm tired, I rest, it's as simple as that....

My swim workout went really well. I'm amazed I can swim 100's without stopping to catch my breath every 50m. We worked on speed and on technique. I put my elbow in the water before my hand so I pull with my elbow. It's something I'm going to have to work on.

Suppose to be a big snow storm here today so there goes my track workout for tonight. I have a plan B though. Strength training and spinning in front of the tv!

Have a great day!

2009-01-07 5:44 PM
in reply to: #1891376

Ahhhh, clipless bike shoes.....They are scary. Everyone falls at least once. I fell at the busiest intersection in town at the busiest time of day. My brain told my feet to step out of the pedals and put my foot down when I stopped. That did not work I fell onto the grass and was laughing so hard at myself that I'm sure people thought I was a complete lunatic.I fell about 4 times the first year, but not once this year. My brain is now rewired.
2009-01-07 6:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

Hey, I think I fell about 3 or 4 times last year. I scared the heck out of my husband a couple of times when he turned to see me laying on the ground with my feet still connected to my pedals. Once you get used to them you won't use anything else.

Patricia, GREAT swim yesterday. Looked like a fun workout. Hope you don't mind if I steal it from you, I want to do a good swim on Fri. morning.

Karen

2009-01-08 4:36 AM
in reply to: #1893390

User image

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
twohearted - 2009-01-07 7:02 PM

Hey, I think I fell about 3 or 4 times last year. I scared the heck out of my husband a couple of times when he turned to see me laying on the ground with my feet still connected to my pedals. Once you get used to them you won't use anything else.

Patricia, GREAT swim yesterday. Looked like a fun workout. Hope you don't mind if I steal it from you, I want to do a good swim on Fri. morning.

Karen

No problem
2009-01-08 4:41 AM

User image

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
Susie - I'm very confuse about what to eat before and after training. (I'm confused about nutrition in general). I don't want to eat too much but at the same time, I know I need all the energy I can get to get through the workouts. Can you give me some examples of what you eat before and after training? oh another question - I'm going to start swimming in the morning next Tuesday, what do I eat before? I'll be getting up and leaving almost right away. I was thinking of bringing my food in the car (I have a 30 min drive to the pool) but I'm not sure what to bring.

Patricia
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Susie's Tri Girls - Closed Rss Feed  

of 10