BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Madcow's Group- FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-01-05 7:59 PM
in reply to: #1867072

Subject: RE: Madcow's Group- FULL!

Welcome Sherry!  I have a lot in common with you--we homeschooled for 10 years, I worked at night and on weekends so that I could, and our boys have been scouts for years--the oldest is an Eagle.  It does not matter what you weigh--you are working hard and making a difference in your family and our world and because of THAT you are an inspiration!!  You go girl!

Thanks for the encouragement Stacy and all!  My first sprint tri is mid-April. 

I got up and ran on the treadmill for 35 mins this morning, and then got another 3.5 miles in this afternoon for a total of 6 miles today.  Not fast, mind you--it all averaged out to be about 12 mph.  I plan to bike and swim tomorrow and will do 5k runs on wed, thurs, and fri.  I am going to try to do spinning class on Thurs and Sat too--hopefully I will be able to get a bike this time.

Melanie

2009-01-05 9:36 PM
in reply to: #1887742

User image

Regular
Western Massachussetts

Hi Sherri,

I'm glad your in our group too!  Congrats on your brown belt.  I left as a red belt (just below brown) in our class.  I wish I had stuck with it since it took me four years to get that far, but we couldn't afford it anymore.  I also took it with my two younger children when they were little.  My three children are now 25, 18, and 16.  My eldest is married and my grand daughter is 13 months old today.  Unfortunately, I don't get to see her that often since my son lives in Florida with his family.

If you feel up to it, I think you should go for the Sprint this year.   And just so you know, it is awesome to be an inspiration to people! I think that is what this whole website is about? That is why I joined, because I needed a little  alot of inspriration.

Thanks for joining our group! Stacy

2009-01-05 11:24 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Can I just say that Tom aka Madcow is my hero! he helped me to feel comfortable in the swim portion of one of my first triathlons. He was my swim buddy and I was TOTALLY petrified to do this small open water swim! At this particular race they allowed racers to have someone swim along side you during the competition. He was my saviour! he pointed out jelly fish and kept me on track...every time I would breathe to the left he was there and he would calm me and tell me I was doing great! I will never forget Tom as long as I live and want you to know that he is an amazing person and will be a great mentor...if I was not on another team...I would loved to have joined his team. YOU ARE THE BEST TOM! thanks for getting me hooked in this tri stuff....I think! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
2009-01-06 1:30 AM

New user

Hello All,

Madcow has agreed to 'adopt' me from another group! (Thanks MadCow)

My name is Ingrid and I'm a newbie. I am 42 years of age and single. 

Currently, my plan is to

- develop an endurance base on the trainer

- do a mix of circuit training, resistance training for core development

- participate in a 5k in Feb. (I've already registered.) Although I'd like to run it, I'm ok with just finishing it since I have joke for years about being allergic to exercise.

- Increase running training (miles/wk) after losing weight (I  have about 100 lbs to lose total. )

It's been easily 25 years since I've swam and I didn't swim laps so I am trying to get a swim coach so that I can participate in a sprint triathlon in March.

In about September of last year as I was trying to get into a regular exercise routine, I fell and broke my shoulder (oh the pain). Although in no way can I be identified as an athlete, I still have a big fear of injury.

btw - my left arm was amputated above the elbow due to cancer in '92. Hence, I have some anxiety about biking outdoors immediately (outside of the fact that I'm not fit enough to go 10 minutes without stopping :-. Open water swimming is just another item that I will deal with when I get there. 

I really like the idea of the mentorship project and it has a helped me already. My logs are relatively pathetic (I spend more time entering data than exercising) but I like being able to see my 'increase' in activity.

I'm looking forward to participating in this group.

2009-01-06 6:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
TechRacer, welcome to the group!  Thank you everyone for all the welcomes.  I have to agree that Tom is great!  As a matter of fact, I *heart* the entire cow family!!  We are very lucky to have Tom as our mentor.  Have a great day everyone!
2009-01-06 6:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Melanie, it's always nice to hear from another homeschooler.  Even if you are doing it anymore, you understand the unique demands on my time. 

Stacy, I just love martial arts and I agree that it is such a special thing to do with your whole family!  Do you think that at some point you will go back?  Tom was real into MT kickboxing before triathlon.

Edited by oliveview 2009-01-06 6:22 AM

2009-01-06 6:44 AM

User image

Hello all and welcome newcomers.  Off to work...
2009-01-06 7:58 AM
in reply to: #1888586

User image

Elite
San Diego

Thank you Dorothy. I t was my pleasure to finally meet you and swim you. BTW, I was a s scared of the jelly fish as you were

Sherri, how could I not have you in my group? I couldn't have finshed my last race (or possibly my next race) without you, so helping you through your next race is the least I can do.

I can't believe how many Martial Artists are in this group. Very cool.

2009-01-06 8:02 AM

User image

Elite
San Diego

Welcome Ingrid.  I'm glad you decided to join the group. First we will get you through your 5K, then a triathlon, then some ultra stuff, when you are ready.

If you haven't already, you should check out my buddy One Arm Willie (Willie Stewart). I met Willie several years ago and his attitude has helped shape the way I look at this sport and life in general. He is a really funny guy, who tells stories of how in every race he has to defend his podium spots because nobody believes somebody who swims as slow as he does can ride and run as fast as he does. So they figured he had to cut the course short. By now, all of the locals don't even bother questioning his times.

Again welcome to group.

2009-01-06 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1888689

User image

Regular
Western Massachussetts
I had taken martial arts at Super Kicks in St. Petersburg Florida for four years with the kids.  Bill "SuperFoot Wallace"  would come in periodically to give seminars, so great!  But since I have moved back to Massachussetts I haven't found a place or even looked, for that much.  But it was seriously my passion about six years ago, and I would love to get back into it.  Just money is tight right now.  My husband owned an Architectural firm in St. Pete FL. for 22 years, but the economy really took its toll on the business.  He is trying to get something started up here, but things seem to be slow all over.  But yes, hopefully someday I can return.
2009-01-06 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1888628

User image

Regular
Western Massachussetts
Welcome Ingrid.  I am doing my first 5K in March.  St. Paddys day to be exact.  I am O.K with just finishing too.  I am not used to running outside yet.  But I think I am going to have to start soon, so I can feel the difference. -Stacy

2009-01-07 7:40 AM

User image

Elite
San Diego

Good morning everybody. Quiet day yesterday. I hope you all rested up.
So, what's on tap for today?
I am getting in run #2, possibly a short run during lunch (30 minutes max). Then I have to take my daughter to practice. If I have time, I will try to squeeze in another trainer ride tonight.

2009-01-07 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Well Tom, I'm not ignoring your challenge...but I am slow to getting started on it.  I have all my workouts around karate through Saturday.  We have belt promotion on Saturday and if I am going to promote I have to put all my time and energy there.  On Sunday we leave for Disney for a few days.  I will count the endless miles of walking and the frequent carrying of children as enough of a workout.  I will be back on Wednesday and I can start trainign full-time and will be on track and with the challenge. 

I joined a new gym this week.  It's one of those open all the time places.  They don't have a pool but it is new, clean, and close to my house.  That way I will be able to get some workouts in either early or late which is what I need to do to get my schedule working for me instead of against me.

You have been getting some good workouts in lately Tom.  Not to mention, congrats on the Brooks sponsorship!!

2009-01-07 11:17 AM

New user

I am going to try to do

- 30 min. circuit video

- 30 minBicycle

- 30 min treadmill

I've discovered that I have Jelly legs after riding the trainer. (It's a very funny experience  to me) so I will have to break up the run from the cycling

2009-01-07 11:19 AM
in reply to: #1888811

New user

madcow - 2009-01-06 6:02 AM.

If you haven't already, you should check out my buddy One Arm Willie (Willie Stewart). 

He is the first one armed triathlete I discovered. I was not aware of his challenges with his race time being accepted - hilarious.

2009-01-07 12:43 PM

I joined a tri training group at my gym and we swam last night. After that I rode the exercise bike for about 6.25 miles.  This morning, school (my work) was called off for flooding, so I went to the gym and swam again for 30 minutes and ran for 3.5 miles (35 mins).  I felt a little sick and very tired when I was done.  I think I didn't eat enough before I started.  Oh well-am fine now.  I have gotten 2 runs in this week-at least one more to go. 

Welcome Ingrid!  Being an occupational therapist, I am excited to hear about your training and learn any techniques you use to  compensate for your disability. I usually work with pediatrics and don't have any amputees on my caseload right now,   but fill in at an adult rehab center about once a month. If you have any tips I can pass on to other new amputees, please let me know.  If it makes you feel any better, I went to a swim class last night and they told me I was only using one arm to swim--some of us with two arms don't take full advantage of them both anyway.

2009-01-07 7:36 PM

User image

Hey Madcow and all sorry for disappearing I have been posting my work out logs and was looking for the forum group but just did not have enough sense to look on page 2??? I hope everyone had a good holiday and I look forward to interacting and supporting each other again sorry for the delay. Took today off and plan on trying my 1st shot at 750 meters in the pool in the morning.
2009-01-07 8:19 PM

User image

Just took the time to read all the posts sounds like everyone has a great start in the new year. You guys will certainly start feeling great about your workouts when you star hearing from meSmile
2009-01-07 10:42 PM
in reply to: #1893649

User image

Regular
Western Massachussetts
Welcome back and Happy New Year!
2009-01-08 8:02 AM
in reply to: #1894022

User image

Elite
San Diego

Yes, welcome back.

How is everyone doing on the run challenge?
So far, so good for me. I have 2 runs down, 1 to go.

What do you have on tap for today?
Today might be a rest day for me. I have a bunch of stuff going on, but if I can get home early enough I might jump on the trainer and spin.

Have a great day!

2009-01-08 12:19 PM

I did upperbody weights this morning followed by a 2 mile run at 6 mph (on the treadmill with 0 incline) followed by spinning class.  Has anyone had a problem with sciatic pain?  It is a pain in the rear and seems to be getting worse.  I have been stretching more and I am not sure if that is making it better or worse.  Any advice would be appreciated.  I will talk to some of my PT friends too.

2009-01-08 4:34 PM
in reply to: #1895164

User image

Regular
Western Massachussetts

Hi Melanie,

You just may need to rest a little.  You have been doing great, but strenuous workouts, and may have aggrevated your piriformis muscle, which is located in the lower part of your spine and assists with hip rotation.  This muscle can compress the sciatic nerve and cause sciatic nerve pain.  Try some hip flexor stetches and maybe just do the swimming portions of your workouts for a few days, so your piriformis can heal.  Hope you feel better soon!

Stacy

2009-01-08 4:50 PM

User image

Weight training this morning followed by a 650 meter swim had hoped for 750 but am struggling on the swim and ran out of time. This afternoon I did a 5k took me abour 33 minutes did not have a time on it. How much should I be swimming considering I can go about 250 meters at a time. The turn is what really wears me out (swimming in a 25 meter pool).
2009-01-08 8:05 PM

Thanks Stacy--good advice!
2009-01-10 8:11 AM
in reply to: #1895931

User image

Regular
Western Massachussetts
Kip - I love your picture! That kitty is so cute!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Madcow's Group- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 10