BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-01-21 12:20 PM
in reply to: #1903586

User image

Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: BamaDC's Mentor Group - OPEN!
You guys can copy the html code below into the Goals section on your Control Panel in order to be able to have access to the team from your training log:

<a href="http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=144276&start=1"><b>Team</b></a>
<table cellspacing="1" cellpadding="4" bgcolor="#99ccff" border="4"><tbody><tr><td align="center"><strong>BamaDC's Mentor Group 2009</a> <br /><a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=46947">BamaDC - Mark</a></strong> <br /><hr />
<a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=127850">GiJess - Jessica</a><br />
<a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=83573">maurof78 - Mauro</a><br />
<a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=51988">phoenixrising404 Pene</a><br />
<a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=76001">stuart_little_9 - Stuart</a><br />
<a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=115914">seanstad - Sean</a><br/>
<a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=81679">skuzy - Skuz</a><br />
<a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=66504">debbiec - Debbie</a><br />
<a href="index-weekly.asp?memberid=14719">JeepFleeb - Aaron</a><br />
</td></tr></tbody></table>

2009-01-21 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
Welcome new members!

I heard a funny today: I work alot with the Amish here in Wisconsin, and they are not political and don't vote, but I was small talking with an Amish gentleman on the adjusting table and mentioned that we now have a new President, to which he dryly replied, "Yep, they cussed him in yesterday". Okay...maybe you just had to be there.............
2009-01-21 3:13 PM
in reply to: #1920028

=i'm not sure about longest ride, somewhere around 40 miles I think, between 20-30 mph, just got the training video from Lake Placid so I could ride the course on my trainer.
=i have a home gym to strength train...i'm just not crazy about it...but I'll do it!
=i got a GPS today garmin, trying to figure that out...i'll start with the HR monitoring.
=it would be great to have a coach to send me plans around my schedule since it's different each week.
=best thing is no injuries, and very motivated...can it be done? that is the question.
2009-01-21 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1920795

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

debbiec - 2009-01-21 3:13 PM =i'm not sure about longest ride, somewhere around 40 miles I think, between 20-30 mph, just got the training video from Lake Placid so I could ride the course on my trainer. =i have a home gym to strength train...i'm just not crazy about it...but I'll do it! =i got a GPS today garmin, trying to figure that out...i'll start with the HR monitoring. =it would be great to have a coach to send me plans around my schedule since it's different each week. =best thing is no injuries, and very motivated...can it be done? that is the question.

20-30 mph or kmph.  20-30 mph is pretty tough.  Do you have a computrainer?  Which garmin did you buy?

"it would be great to have a coach to send me plans around my schedule since it's different each week."  This is a big help.

2009-01-21 5:37 PM
in reply to: #1918844

User image

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Looks as though I will have plenty of time to read....This morning at a mandatory fitness session for work, we were doing Kung Fu...I was involved in an accident with a friend, and through no one's error, my knee gave out and now I likely have a torn ACL...going for an MRI this week....safe to say though, I likely won't be doing my race in May....I am not in a very good mood today.....
2009-01-21 8:31 PM
in reply to: #1921133

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

seanstad - 2009-01-21 5:37 PM Looks as though I will have plenty of time to read....This morning at a mandatory fitness session for work, we were doing Kung Fu...I was involved in an accident with a friend, and through no one's error, my knee gave out and now I likely have a torn ACL...going for an MRI this week....safe to say though, I likely won't be doing my race in May....I am not in a very good mood today.....

Dang, sorry to hear that.  You can still hang around with us and keep us informed about your rehab.

2009-01-22 8:59 AM

User image

Hello Mark and group

I am totally new to the world of Triathlons. I am mainly doing it to lose weight and find something that I enjoy doing. I would be what is referred to as a Clydesdale. I’m 6’5” and about 270. Before college I begged to gain weight. I was around 6’5” and 190. At age 33 I need to lose at least 40 pounds and would love to lose 60. I don’t like the gym deal of running on treadmills but love the outdoors. This is the point the idea of running a short triathlon to start with comes in. If things work out from there I’d like to get into it for real. I live in TN so there are quite a bit of things going on as far as races. I just have to figure out were to start. I plan on running a “fun” triathlon in May that includes a 6 mile bike, a two mile canoe, and a 3 mile run. It is a buddy deal that one person bikes, both canoe, and the other runs. If either member wants to do the entire race they can but you will only be scored on two sections either canoe and run or bike and canoe. It is more of a family race so hopefully it will be a good starting point and something to set a goal towards.

Now for the beginner questions.

I plan on going to get fitted for running shoes before I start to run. I have had shin problem before so hopefully this will help. Any other advice for running gear needed?

I will ride my mountain bike until I know I will be serious about it. I know this is not the best bike for a triathlon but to start off with on shorter races will it be ok? Right now my goal is to finish a race. Next goal will be to improve.

As far as swimming I am going to join the YMCA for the pool and for bad weather training. With me being a larger fellow any advice on swim wears?

The biggest question I have is about heart monitors. I’ve never used one and have no idea were to start as far as purchasing one. I do not know how to do the target heart rates either. I’ve always just ran or biked. Any advice on this section would be great.

Thanks for everyone’s time and I’ll let you know how things come along. I hope to add my before and after pictures once I get serious and drop some weight. Oh I forgot to ask if I could join the group.

Regards

Kevin

2009-01-22 11:50 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-01-22 11:51 AM
in reply to: #1922085

2009-01-22 3:29 PM
in reply to: #1922085

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
klmccllg - 2009-01-22 8:59 AM Hello Mark and group

I am totally new to the world of Triathlons. I am mainly doing it to lose weight and find something that I enjoy doing. I would be what is referred to as a Clydesdale. I’m 6’5” and about 270. Before college I begged to gain weight. I was around 6’5” and 190. At age 33 I need to lose at least 40 pounds and would love to lose 60. I don’t like the gym deal of running on treadmills but love the outdoors. This is the point the idea of running a short triathlon to start with comes in. If things work out from there I’d like to get into it for real. I live in TN so there are quite a bit of things going on as far as races. I just have to figure out were to start. I plan on running a “fun” triathlon in May that includes a 6 mile bike, a two mile canoe, and a 3 mile run. It is a buddy deal that one person bikes, both canoe, and the other runs. If either member wants to do the entire race they can but you will only be scored on two sections either canoe and run or bike and canoe. It is more of a family race so hopefully it will be a good starting point and something to set a goal towards.

Now for the beginner questions.

I plan on going to get fitted for running shoes before I start to run. I have had shin problem before so hopefully this will help. Any other advice for running gear needed?

I will ride my mountain bike until I know I will be serious about it. I know this is not the best bike for a triathlon but to start off with on shorter races will it be ok? Right now my goal is to finish a race. Next goal will be to improve.

As far as swimming I am going to join the YMCA for the pool and for bad weather training. With me being a larger fellow any advice on swim wears?

The biggest question I have is about heart monitors. I’ve never used one and have no idea were to start as far as purchasing one. I do not know how to do the target heart rates either. I’ve always just ran or biked. Any advice on this section would be great.

Thanks for everyone’s time and I’ll let you know how things come along. I hope to add my before and after pictures once I get serious and drop some weight. Oh I forgot to ask if I could join the group.

Regards

Kevin

Welcome to the group.

It would be wise to get fitted for running shoes.  I ran/trained for my first marathon in Nike Shoxx(sp).  My ankles were jacked up for the next 6 months.  I wish I had been properly fitted before hand.

Nothing wrong with riding a Mountain bike, infact some races that are truely beginner/fun races will have a fat tire division.

As far as swim wear.  Wear what your comfortable in.  When I started swimming at our local pool I wore speedo jammers the ones like tri shorts.  Everyone gave me dirtyor WTF looks at first but guess what a year later and most of the guys wear similar items.  FYI my training partner is 6'3" and 270 and he wears jammers.  Also do you have any swimming experience?

And HR monitors.  Chrissie Wellington doesn't use one... but she's not human.  As Pene posted earlier you could use the RPE method.  When I first started triathlons I bought and read the "Triathlete's Training Bible"  by Joe Friel.  I used the RPE method at first but I'm a numbers person and like having data.  So I got a HR monitor and did a few of the test that Friel uses in the book.  In a earlier post I mentioned my cheap 1st HR monitor and my current Polar model.  I know you have lots of questions so ask away.

Also where are you from?

Mark

2009-01-22 3:31 PM

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

2009-01-22 4:20 PM

I live outside Nashville.

I plan on using Michael Pate's Total Sprint Program from the this site. I figure if I can make it through this I should be ready by the end of June for a Sprint. My first Tri I am aiming for is Cedars of Lebanon Triathlon. I will start my log soon and hopefully this will keep me motivated.

2009-01-22 5:54 PM

Expert
Geesh! Get busy for a day and there are almost too many posts to reply too! I love it though!

Sean--So sorry to hear about your injury. I hope it is not an ACL injury, but if it is, my two cents is to advise you to definitely go ahead with surgery and they may use a cadaver ligament to repair it. You won't develop antibodies for it, as it is not vascular. I know someone who didn't get the surgery right away, but took her doc's advice and just waited and tried to rehab it, and she ended up needing a total knee replacement, which just plain STINKS. I also know someone with the cadaver ligament, as he has no problems. Perhaps life is just handing you the opportunity to read, ask Q's, and work on your swimming? (if they recommend that)

Aaron--how do you coach folks from other states??? How do you do the bio testing on them, etc? Are there playtri clinics all over? (I guess input from Mark on this is also what I'm after)

Our newest member--Kevin, is it? (got alot on my mind today, so sorry if I am wrong about that) I know a few people who started in tri's with weight issues, confidence issues, and became very respectable athletes. Triathlon is for you to start with a goal and race yourself. Mountain bikes are just fine--slower, yes, but go with what you are comfortable on. It is easy to go broke buying fancy toys (and yes, Leo chick here went ahead and bought all the coolest schtuff and since I am self-employed, got myself in some financial trouble one month--my kids can tell you how they turned off our gas at home because expected income just didn't come through right then). I KNOW you will fall in love with this sport though, so just take your time and look at equipment and get exactly what you want when you can afford it

It is an honor to be part of this diverse group--some of us with sprint aspirations, and others with the big IM!!

Debbie--no sweat! You'll finish your IM. Just remember, you get exactly what you train for. There are no shortcuts (at least not for me).

I'm just registered for the sprint tri in June--YMCA Got Energy Tri, West Salem, Wisconsin, June 14. I learned with kids and my life not to plan toooo many events tooo far in advance, as life has a way of rearranging your schedule with injuries, etc. I failed to show up for 3 events one season for different reasons beyond my control.
2009-01-22 6:51 PM
in reply to: #1923557

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

phoenixrising404 - 2009-01-22 5:54 PM Geesh! Get busy for a day and there are almost too many posts to reply too! I love it though! Sean--So sorry to hear about your injury. I hope it is not an ACL injury, but if it is, my two cents is to advise you to definitely go ahead with surgery and they may use a cadaver ligament to repair it. You won't develop antibodies for it, as it is not vascular. I know someone who didn't get the surgery right away, but took her doc's advice and just waited and tried to rehab it, and she ended up needing a total knee replacement, which just plain STINKS. I also know someone with the cadaver ligament, as he has no problems. Perhaps life is just handing you the opportunity to read, ask Q's, and work on your swimming? (if they recommend that) Aaron--how do you coach folks from other states??? How do you do the bio testing on them, etc? Are there playtri clinics all over? (I guess input from Mark on this is also what I'm after) Our newest member--Kevin, is it? (got alot on my mind today, so sorry if I am wrong about that) I know a few people who started in tri's with weight issues, confidence issues, and became very respectable athletes. Triathlon is for you to start with a goal and race yourself. Mountain bikes are just fine--slower, yes, but go with what you are comfortable on. It is easy to go broke buying fancy toys (and yes, Leo chick here went ahead and bought all the coolest schtuff and since I am self-employed, got myself in some financial trouble one month--my kids can tell you how they turned off our gas at home because expected income just didn't come through right then). I KNOW you will fall in love with this sport though, so just take your time and look at equipment and get exactly what you want when you can afford it It is an honor to be part of this diverse group--some of us with sprint aspirations, and others with the big IM!! Debbie--no sweat! You'll finish your IM. Just remember, you get exactly what you train for. There are no shortcuts (at least not for me). I'm just registered for the sprint tri in June--YMCA Got Energy Tri, West Salem, Wisconsin, June 14. I learned with kids and my life not to plan toooo many events tooo far in advance, as life has a way of rearranging your schedule with injuries, etc. I failed to show up for 3 events one season for different reasons beyond my control.

For my testing I got a last minute deal on a trip to Dallas, a flight, car, and hotel for 299.  So I had to take it.  Playtri has several different programs, but I'll let Aaron tell you more about those.  I'm doing the Louisville camp(obviously) and I'll do my second metabolic testing session then.  They also have a camp in Hawaii, which my wife informed me we will be going to one day. 

I'm pretty sure they don't use cadaver tissue anymore.  They usually take the tissue from one of your Hamstrings.

I agree about the tri gear comment.  Its amazing how much money you could blow on the newest and most improved gear.  I plan on getting a couple more years out of my frame, but I'll upgrade my components this year.  And if I meet most of my performance goals, I'll buy new race wheels and maybe a new powermeter.  So, I'm on the reward system.  If I work hard I'll get my toys.  I mean sure I could go buy a P3 and some HED wheels, but it will be much sweeter when I earn it.  And I'll be able to retire sooner.

2009-01-22 11:25 PM

sean-acl-that just 'sucks!' get better soon!
i'm doing sprint-july, 1/2 iron-aug, olympic-sept all local then ironman flordia-nov. do u know how hot it will be in nov? I did disney marthon twice and both saw temps get into 80's... heat slowed me down ã lot during last 6 miles! looking at coaches but expensive for ã canadian so looking for one locally.

had an awesome swim today...pics of mass start at flordia IM scares the crap... out of me!
will enter lOg soon.
2009-01-23 8:28 AM
in reply to: #1924171

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Aaron did IMFL.  But I'd go read some race reports to get a feel of what race day is like.

2009-01-23 9:54 AM

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Thanks....not sure what the course of action is, they still haven't even confirmed how much damage there is...the only thing they have been able to tell me is that it is, in fact, my ACL, but they do not know how much damage.....I'll keep everyone posted....
2009-01-23 10:28 AM

Swan Valley, Idaho
I also would like to join the group.

I am a 48 year old critical care nurse practitioner. I have a husband, five grown kids and the cutest grandson in the world (all grammas are supposed to say that!)

I love to hike and backpack and took up triathlon last year. I completed two - I choked/panicked in the water for the first two.

After finally finishing our new house - way too stressful - I'm ready to train in earnest again and drop the weight I gained.

I'm concentrating on getting more and more comfortable in the water, I practice TI drills but until now haven't really concentrated on real distance - I know that hurt me last year.

I also need to increase my run frequency and times - I haven't yet felt that runners high everybody talk about!
2009-01-23 10:59 AM

2009-01-23 11:03 AM
in reply to: #1924171

2009-01-23 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1924800

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Subject: RE: BamaDC's Mentor Group - Closed

wswope - 2009-01-23 10:28 AM I also would like to join the group. I am a 48 year old critical care nurse practitioner. I have a husband, five grown kids and the cutest grandson in the world (all grammas are supposed to say that!) I love to hike and backpack and took up triathlon last year. I completed two - I choked/panicked in the water for the first two. After finally finishing our new house - way too stressful - I'm ready to train in earnest again and drop the weight I gained. I'm concentrating on getting more and more comfortable in the water, I practice TI drills but until now haven't really concentrated on real distance - I know that hurt me last year. I also need to increase my run frequency and times - I haven't yet felt that runners high everybody talk about!

Welcome to the group.  We built our house last and I remember how stressful it can be.

I can relate to your swim experience.  My first tri was an ocean swim and I didn't put my face in the water for the first 200 meters.  Still had the second fastest swim in my age group.  All I could think about was the music from Jaws.

2009-01-24 4:52 PM

Swan Valley, Idaho
You asked about planned races - Triathlon at Rigby Lake May 30, Blacktail Triathlon July 11, Pocatello Tri Aug 1 and the Rush aug 15
2009-01-24 7:48 PM

Kentucky
Hi Mark,

Do you have room for another? If so let me know and i will give my information.

Thanks,

Kelly
2009-01-24 9:43 PM

somewhere in the northwest

Hello Mark do you have any more room if so please let me know.

Bio: my name is gary I live in Kalispell MT currenly in Pasco WA. I just finnished my first year of copetitive races mostly running ( 4-5ks/ 1-10k/ 1-12k/ 1-10 miler/ 3-HM/ 1 doa and 1 sprint tri) and i'm totally hooked and can't wait for the season to get started. Im currently training for my first marathon and Boise 70.3 plus any sprint and Oly tri this year that comes my way.

I'm hoping a mentor group will keep me focused.      

2009-01-25 6:24 AM

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Hi all,
I've got a question for the more experienced members/cyclists. What books/websites/other sources can teach me a bit about bikes. Currently I know next to nothing about what features/brands/construction materials are good/poor etc and want to know more.

Also (to everyone): how many hours training a week does everyone do (obviously this changes throughout the year, but what are the peak hours/hours in rest weeks/lowest number of hours)? What distance races are you doing?

Do you think we have enough members in this group now?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 11