BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-01-12 9:20 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Subject: BamaDC's Mentor Group - Closed

NAME: BamaDC / Mark
STORY:
In 2005 my wife (Amanda) wanted to run a Marathon.  And said, “you should do it to.”  So I started training in July of 05 and ran my first marathon in Feb. 06, the Ocala Marathon (4:15:30). 

My quick increase in running volume lead to some overuse injuries.  This caused me to start attending spinning classes.  The teachers were all cyclist and they took my under their wings and I started cycling.  And I swam competitively until the 9th grade, so what the heck… I’ll do a triathlon.  I did a few races in 06, nothing that special… well that’s another topic.  I didn’t do/race any tris in 07, because of our first baby and my last year of Professional School. 
So in 08 I went all out.  I finished Ironman Louisville in 14:19 and improved my half marathon time by 8 min.  1:50 in Feb 08 to a 1:42 in Nov 08.

FAMILY STATUS: Married going on 5 years.  One son (Thomas) turns two this Jan. and another son due in March (Jackson). 
CURRENT TRAINING: I have big plans for 09.  I want to run a sub 1:35 half marathon and I want to finish IMKY in 12:XX.  I hired a coach in Nov and it has been a very good decision.  I also I’ve started training with a powermeter when biking.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: IMKY 14:19, Mercedes Half Mary 1:50, Hunstville Half May 1:42, two other sprint tris
2009 RACES: Mercedes Half Mary, Powerman Alabama, Gulf Coast Tri, Buster Britton Tri, Mountain Lakes Tri, Ironman Louisvlle, the rest of 09 will be determined later on.
WEIGHTLOSS:  After IMKY I gained 8 pounds, from 172 to 180.  My coach and I set a goal to be under 8% body fat before/by IMKY.  So that should put me in the 160-165 range.  So in short, I want to loose 15 to 20 pounds.
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTORI’m a Chiropractor and a Fitness Center Owner.  I’m good at answering questions, I have to be.  If I don’t know the answer, then I’ll do my best to help you figure out.  I’m not far off from a beginner and I remember a lot of the uneducated mistakes I made.  I have two jobs and a great family, so I know what its like to be stressed out and be short on time.  The bottom line is lets have some fun, help each other out and get ready for a great 09.

Edited by BamaDC 2009-01-25 7:24 AM

2009-01-13 12:18 PM
in reply to: #1903586

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: BamaDC's Mentor Group - OPEN!
Hi Mark! I, too, am a chiropractor! I'm 42 years old and a mother of four--my youngest is just 5 months old. I took a mommy sabbatical and am ready to take off the 14 pounds of baby fat and get back into my hobby----so I just signed up for a sprint tri in my area in June. I've done it before and think it is a reasonable goal to get back into shape. Balancing family and career with fitness is always a challenge and I could use a little encouragement
2009-01-13 2:34 PM
in reply to: #1904742

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

phoenixrising404 - 2009-01-13 12:18 PM Hi Mark! I, too, am a chiropractor! I'm 42 years old and a mother of four--my youngest is just 5 months old. I took a mommy sabbatical and am ready to take off the 14 pounds of baby fat and get back into my hobby----so I just signed up for a sprint tri in my area in June. I've done it before and think it is a reasonable goal to get back into shape. Balancing family and career with fitness is always a challenge and I could use a little encouragement

Its nice to meet you.  Congrats on the baby arriving safely.  How long of a sabbatical are you on?    Chiros, triathletes and having small children around the house, I think we'll have plenty to talk and fuss about.  

What are the distances of your June triathlon. 

2009-01-13 9:09 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks for the welcome! Before baby Phoebe, I was a little crazy and unbalanced with tri fever. I only started trying to be an athlete when I turned 40. I actually had to take swimming lessons because I didn't know how to swim with my face in the water! I was scared to bike on such little skinny wheels, being more of a mountain bike type of person. And I have exercise induced asthma, so running is still more of a run walk. Despite being old, having no previous athletic ability, and raising children while working full time, I managed to do an indoor tri, then an outdoor tri, a 75 mile bike for MS, a century ride, and a half marathon.....and then I met the man of my dreams and got pregnant! At first I figured I'd just keep on doing stuff....but my body sort of rebelled and swelled something fierce, so toward the middle to the end of the pregnancy, I could no longer wear shoes of any type and gave up on anything resembling fitness. I still worked full time, though, and went back to work 10 days after giving birth, with baby in the office as all my children were entirely breastfed. So...my fitness sabbatical was from about this time last year to now and I am almost too complacent to imagine training 15-20 hours a week like I did at one time. I think I can conceive of working back into 7 hours a week, and still keep my husband from leaving me and my kids from painting my couch blue (yeah, they really did that one day when I was on the dreadmill.....never continue on one when your kids are too quiet!!)

Yep.... I tend to ramble a bit. My tri in June is a nice 400 y swim, 17 mile bike, and 5K run. I'm slow and will likely always be that way as my lungs just don't do what other people's lungs do. But I am happiest when biking on the many trails here in Wisconsin, swimming across the lake ( I love open water swims and actually did do one 2.4 mile swim one day....and didn't drown). I hope to do a marathon within a year...and my goal is to just enjoy it and finish. The one I want to do is the Rock and roll mary in Arizona NEXT January.

I imagine you have a supportive and athletic wife. How is she doing with the pregnancy so far?

And how do you manage to balance IM training with career and family? What is your take on the weight gain thing? Did you put on pounds really fast when you slowed down after your IM? Because it seems to me my body went a bit crazy when I slowed way down on the exercise and put on pounds faster than you can say pizza and ice cream. I even followed the Paleo diet fairly religiously for a few months while pregnant...but alas....the fat went on anyway. Hrmph!
2009-01-14 3:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Hi Mark,
I would like to join your mentor group.

Here's a little about myself.
I'm Stuart, a 19 year old male who lives in Brisbane, Australia. It is currently the middle of summer and race season. I'm not to sure how this mentor thing works, but hopefully I'll be able to increase my motivation, which is something I occasionally struggle for.

I'm currently studying Human Movements (Exercise Science) at uni, so I have a pretty good idea about the physiology and science of exercise.

2008 races: Gold Coast Sprint Tri - my first tri. After loosely suggesting to a few mates from uni that it would be fun to do a triathlon, I actually got quite into it. A family friend helped me find a bike and gave me some tips. I finished in 1:26, which I thought was a pretty good effort.

Raby Bay Sprint - my first of the 08/09 season. I finished in a disappointing 1:31, as a result of being sick in the week leading up to, and on race day.

2009 Races - Gold Coast Sprint Tri (1 March) - I will return to try and beat my time from last year.
Mooloolaba Olympic Tri (29 March) - will be my first olympic distance.

I also plan to do a half marathon in June/July after doing a 10k at the same venue last year. Assuming the 1/2 marathon goes well, I plan to do a 1/2 ironman in 2010, and a full ironman is pencilled in for the years following.

I've been involved in sport all my life, playing cricket and soccer. I currently referee soccer in the winter months, which helps maintain my fitness. I'm in good shape, weighing about 68kg and am 175cm tall, so I'm not in triathlon for weight loss.

I wish everyone luck for their current goals, and hope we can all gain something from each other's experiences.
2009-01-14 9:48 AM
in reply to: #1906083

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

phoenixrising404 - 2009-01-13 9:09 PM Thanks for the welcome! Before baby Phoebe, I was a little crazy and unbalanced with tri fever. I only started trying to be an athlete when I turned 40. I actually had to take swimming lessons because I didn't know how to swim with my face in the water! I was scared to bike on such little skinny wheels, being more of a mountain bike type of person. And I have exercise induced asthma, so running is still more of a run walk. Despite being old, having no previous athletic ability, and raising children while working full time, I managed to do an indoor tri, then an outdoor tri, a 75 mile bike for MS, a century ride, and a half marathon.....and then I met the man of my dreams and got pregnant! At first I figured I'd just keep on doing stuff....but my body sort of rebelled and swelled something fierce, so toward the middle to the end of the pregnancy, I could no longer wear shoes of any type and gave up on anything resembling fitness. I still worked full time, though, and went back to work 10 days after giving birth, with baby in the office as all my children were entirely breastfed. So...my fitness sabbatical was from about this time last year to now and I am almost too complacent to imagine training 15-20 hours a week like I did at one time. I think I can conceive of working back into 7 hours a week, and still keep my husband from leaving me and my kids from painting my couch blue (yeah, they really did that one day when I was on the dreadmill.....never continue on one when your kids are too quiet!!) Yep.... I tend to ramble a bit. My tri in June is a nice 400 y swim, 17 mile bike, and 5K run. I'm slow and will likely always be that way as my lungs just don't do what other people's lungs do. But I am happiest when biking on the many trails here in Wisconsin, swimming across the lake ( I love open water swims and actually did do one 2.4 mile swim one day....and didn't drown). I hope to do a marathon within a year...and my goal is to just enjoy it and finish. The one I want to do is the Rock and roll mary in Arizona NEXT January. I imagine you have a supportive and athletic wife. How is she doing with the pregnancy so far? And how do you manage to balance IM training with career and family? What is your take on the weight gain thing? Did you put on pounds really fast when you slowed down after your IM? Because it seems to me my body went a bit crazy when I slowed way down on the exercise and put on pounds faster than you can say pizza and ice cream. I even followed the Paleo diet fairly religiously for a few months while pregnant...but alas....the fat went on anyway. Hrmph!

LOL, I know all about the quiet kids.  My son has had two minor incidents compared to yours.

My wife is supportive to a degree.  I try to do as much as possible around to house to avoid an argument.  But if she starts fussing I remind her she got me started in this.   I believe my wife is more genetically gifted than myself, but I have a stronger will and drive.  She is very active during pregnancy.  5 weeks after our first son she ran a 26or27 min 5K.  That was another reason I took 07 off, so she could train and race more.  Back on topic; see I'm a rambler to.  She is in her 32 week of pregnancy.

Ironman training is tough for any body.  It’s all about time management and trying to work out when no one (family) can see you.  By this I mean working out early in the morning and during lunch.  I didn't start practicing until Nov of 08.  My main focus was the fitness center.  While I was in school my dad was just trying to maintain.  Now since our membership is up and we've finished our major improvements, I'm more focused on practice.  But I'm still a doc w/o and office.  The professional building I invested in won't be finished until late August.  So I have a little longer till it hits the fan (time wise I mean).

My weight gain was due to the "seefood diet".  I ate very strict (08 IM training), mostly whole foods with a splurge every now and then.  I put the weight on over a two month period (sept & oct).  In November I started watching my calories.  In January I started cutting calories. But I already have a head start this year. In 08 I started out at 189, this year its 180.

I definitely believe you could do a marathon next January, its all in being consistent.  The thing with pregnancy is people think they're eating for two, but it’s really your self +500 calories, or at least that’s what my wife’s OB says.

2009-01-14 10:01 AM
in reply to: #1906344

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

stuart_little_9 - 2009-01-14 3:22 AM Hi Mark, I would like to join your mentor group. Here's a little about myself. I'm Stuart, a 19 year old male who lives in Brisbane, Australia. It is currently the middle of summer and race season. I'm not to sure how this mentor thing works, but hopefully I'll be able to increase my motivation, which is something I occasionally struggle for. I'm currently studying Human Movements (Exercise Science) at uni, so I have a pretty good idea about the physiology and science of exercise. 2008 races: Gold Coast Sprint Tri - my first tri. After loosely suggesting to a few mates from uni that it would be fun to do a triathlon, I actually got quite into it. A family friend helped me find a bike and gave me some tips. I finished in 1:26, which I thought was a pretty good effort. Raby Bay Sprint - my first of the 08/09 season. I finished in a disappointing 1:31, as a result of being sick in the week leading up to, and on race day. 2009 Races - Gold Coast Sprint Tri (1 March) - I will return to try and beat my time from last year. Mooloolaba Olympic Tri (29 March) - will be my first olympic distance. I also plan to do a half marathon in June/July after doing a 10k at the same venue last year. Assuming the 1/2 marathon goes well, I plan to do a 1/2 ironman in 2010, and a full ironman is pencilled in for the years following. I've been involved in sport all my life, playing cricket and soccer. I currently referee soccer in the winter months, which helps maintain my fitness. I'm in good shape, weighing about 68kg and am 175cm tall, so I'm not in triathlon for weight loss. I wish everyone luck for their current goals, and hope we can all gain something from each other's experiences.

Ausie, Ausie, Ausie.  It's nice to meet you.  You'll be the third person from down under I've ever talked two.  First, my brother's roommate in college and the second a guy my cousin is dating.  It was very fun talking to my cousin's boyfriend, he telling me about all the things in the ocean that could kill you.  Fast swim splits in Australia.  I might need to brush up on my metric but your about 149 lbs. and 5'7".

I've never played crickett but in my younger years, I was a pretty good soccer/futball player.  What was your 10K time last year.  If my metric is right you have a lean body build.

The mentor program is for people that want to chat, ask questions and find support.  Best of luck with your up coming races.

2009-01-14 6:26 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Bump, for people looking.
2009-01-14 9:29 PM

User image

Expert
Welcome Stuart Little--I'm sure there is a really good explanation for your chosen name My mom spent a year down under teaching and is currently in Arizona being a snowbird and visiting with her Aussie pals who are also vacationing there. She is very smart to be someplace warm.

I'm not sure what you can learn from me, as you sound very young, very fit and very ambitious, but I'll be your cheerleader at least

Bama-- what did you do to correct your overuse injuries? I suffered a hamstring tear a few years ago and can still feel it twinge when running at times. I have a heel lift now to correct a 13 mm anatomically short left leg, but I didn't really know I had the leg length deficiency until this year (long story, but basically I am the daughter of a chiropractor who died when I was 14 and never did catch the leg length deficiency, a pars defect at L5 or my scoliosis.....it is really true...the chiropractor's kids have messed up spines just like the carpenter's kids have holes in their roofs and the shoemaker's kids go barefoot).
2009-01-14 9:43 PM
in reply to: #1906843

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for the welcome Mark.
Correct with my weight, but closer to 5'9". I am quite lean and have struggled to add muscle to my body in the past, so at the moment I'm just toning what I have.

Apparently the chance of getting struck by lightning is 30 times more than getting taken by a shark, but there are a lot of other animals that hang around in rock pools and stuff that can cause problems.

My 10k time was 52:02 (about what I had planned, but I didn't really do much extended race pace running), but after I crossed the finish line, I felt I had so much left in me.

I think that generally I'm an ok runner, but I seem to struggle after the bike/swim legs. This year I'm working on the higher intensity runs, and doing a few more bricks. Hopefully that works and I can do a good run leg.

Where abouts in the US are you based? I assume from IMKY that it is Kentucky? I'm not too sure where that is.
2009-01-15 6:24 AM
in reply to: #1908633

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

phoenixrising404 - 2009-01-14 9:29 PM Welcome Stuart Little--I'm sure there is a really good explanation for your chosen name My mom spent a year down under teaching and is currently in Arizona being a snowbird and visiting with her Aussie pals who are also vacationing there. She is very smart to be someplace warm.

I'm not sure what you can learn from me, as you sound very young, very fit and very ambitious, but I'll be your cheerleader at least

Bama-- what did you do to correct your overuse injuries? I suffered a hamstring tear a few years ago and can still feel it twinge when running at times. I have a heel lift now to correct a 13 mm anatomically short left leg, but I didn't really know I had the leg length deficiency until this year (long story, but basically I am the daughter of a chiropractor who died when I was 14 and never did catch the leg length deficiency, a pars defect at L5 or my scoliosis.....it is really true...the chiropractor's kids have messed up spines just like the carpenter's kids have holes in their roofs and the shoemaker's kids go barefoot).

Rest, yoga and PT.  Thats the great thing about being a Chiro.  I have alot of cool toys.  Sorry abour the hamstring tear.  I've never torn a muscle, but I've fractured a few bones.  I have a 9 mm short right leg.  And I'm correcting my bike fit to make this better.  My wife has sacralization of L5.  Alot in common.

2009-01-15 6:40 AM
in reply to: #1908664

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

stuart_little_9 - 2009-01-14 9:43 PM Thanks for the welcome Mark. Correct with my weight, but closer to 5'9". I am quite lean and have struggled to add muscle to my body in the past, so at the moment I'm just toning what I have. Apparently the chance of getting struck by lightning is 30 times more than getting taken by a shark, but there are a lot of other animals that hang around in rock pools and stuff that can cause problems. My 10k time was 52:02 (about what I had planned, but I didn't really do much extended race pace running), but after I crossed the finish line, I felt I had so much left in me. I think that generally I'm an ok runner, but I seem to struggle after the bike/swim legs. This year I'm working on the higher intensity runs, and doing a few more bricks. Hopefully that works and I can do a good run leg. Where abouts in the US are you based? I assume from IMKY that it is Kentucky? I'm not too sure where that is.

Sorry, me metric is a little off.  I'm the other body build.  I'm 5'9" and should be power lifting.  Personally I would more worried about the jelly fish than the sharks.

I had the same trouble in the past with running.  I increased the intensity of my running,  but still have had trouble in races.  So my problem comes with pacing on the bike.  In my sprint races I'm usually one of the first out of the water.  But have trouble holding back on the bike.

I'm in the Southeast US.  I live in the Huntsville, AL metro area.  We are proudly one of the top 10 smartest cities in the US, based of percentage of BS, MS and Doctorate degrees held.  And sadly we also have one of the highest divorce(above 60%) rates in the country.  So if your into family law not a bad place to setup.  Alabama is AL and Kentucky is KY.

us

Or a 4 hour drive up interstate 65.

Edited by BamaDC 2009-01-15 6:19 PM
2009-01-15 2:36 PM

Hello BamaDC,

I'm also from Madison, 23 y/o 2LT in the Army, currently stationed in Birmingham but I will be leaving for Texas in March for my first permanant duty station.  I'd really like to join your triathlon group, I did a sprint at Point Mallard this past summer with a really fast fuji bike from Madison Cycles that I enjoy.  However, after that I obtained an injury that my chiropracter told me that I hadnt stretched my hams out good enough, which resulted in me  severe back pain and inability to complete training. When I got my back readjusted it was only a matter of days until I could run again.  After recovery from that I'm back into the running and ran a 10 miler last weekend, training for the Mercedes Half in Feb.  I'm going to start swimming again when my gym membership kicks in, I'd really like to prep myself for a hardcore triathlon club I want to join when I go to Texas. I look forward to working with you, my main concern is preventing back injury again.

Thanks! Jess

2009-01-15 3:25 PM
in reply to: #1910335

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
GiJess - 2009-01-15 2:36 PM

Hello BamaDC,

I'm also from Madison, 23 y/o 2LT in the Army, currently stationed in Birmingham but I will be leaving for Texas in March for my first permanant duty station.  I'd really like to join your triathlon group, I did a sprint at Point Mallard this past summer with a really fast fuji bike from Madison Cycles that I enjoy.  However, after that I obtained an injury that my chiropracter told me that I hadnt stretched my hams out good enough, which resulted in me  severe back pain and inability to complete training. When I got my back readjusted it was only a matter of days until I could run again.  After recovery from that I'm back into the running and ran a 10 miler last weekend, training for the Mercedes Half in Feb.  I'm going to start swimming again when my gym membership kicks in, I'd really like to prep myself for a hardcore triathlon club I want to join when I go to Texas. I look forward to working with you, my main concern is preventing back injury again.

Thanks! Jess

Nice to meet you.  We have several active BT'ers in the Huntsville/Madison area.  I'm not sure about the Birmingham area though.  What Fort will you be stationed at? Cool, I also did the Wet Dog Tri this past July.  Had the fastest swim, second fastest bike , but had to shut it down early on the run.  Didn't want to risk straining anything before IMKY.  I'm also signed up for the Mercedes Half.  What are your goals for Mercedes? What Fort will you be stationed at?

Edited by BamaDC 2009-01-15 6:19 PM
2009-01-16 1:52 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
Hi Mark,
I am hoping to join your group. My name is Mauro. I am from Chicago, IL. My set goal is to complete Ironman Lanzarote in May 2009. I officially started training for this a couple of weeks ago. So far I have been following the BT free training program with some modifications.

Ironman Lanzarote is known for its difficult cycling portion. Perhaps you can provide some guidance in this aspect of triathlon? Also, I see you have completed an Ironman before, hopefully you can advice me on this as well? This will be my first one!

My past triathlon experience includes completing an Olympic and Half-Ironman distance triathlons in 2008. I also finished the Chicago marathon the same year.

I am very eager to join a group and help support others as well. Even if this means simply helping cheer everyone on.

Thanks!
Mauro.

2009-01-16 2:20 PM

User image

Expert
Welcome new members! This forum is shaping up nicely--pun intended...

It is nice to be part of such an ambitious bunch!

Just something I'm investigating....I ordered a supplement called Irvingia. It is pretty interesting as it is touted as a weight loss supplement that helps with leptin resistance, isulin sensitivity, inhibiting triglyceride production and reducing carb absorption. In other words, for some of us with a genetic predisposition toward largeness unless we starve and work out like a maniac, this MAY help a bit. I'm also investigating something called Tru Chocolate. Organic chocolate with herbs and sweetened with xylitol instead of sugar. You eat a wafer 15 minutes before meals with a glass of water and it is supposed to help you be less hungry. Maybe these are gimmicks......and then again, maybe there is some legitimacy behind them. I'll let ya'll know

2009-01-16 4:15 PM
in reply to: #1912684

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

maurof78 - 2009-01-16 1:52 PM Hi Mark, I am hoping to join your group. My name is Mauro. I am from Chicago, IL. My set goal is to complete Ironman Lanzarote in May 2009. I officially started training for this a couple of weeks ago. So far I have been following the BT free training program with some modifications. Ironman Lanzarote is known for its difficult cycling portion. Perhaps you can provide some guidance in this aspect of triathlon? Also, I see you have completed an Ironman before, hopefully you can advice me on this as well? This will be my first one! My past triathlon experience includes completing an Olympic and Half-Ironman distance triathlons in 2008. I also finished the Chicago marathon the same year. I am very eager to join a group and help support others as well. Even if this means simply helping cheer everyone on. Thanks! Mauro.

Wow, Lanzarote.  I've heard the cycling is tough and hot.  What were your spilts in your other races?  I tried to check your logs, but its seems they're private.  Do you have any time goals for your IM or just get the finisher's medal?  Thanks for joining the group.  I hope you can take some pictures while your there.  This is a Bucket List race for me. 

As far as Ironman advice, I would love to help out.  Ask away.

2009-01-16 4:45 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
I am sharing my logs with everyone in the group now.

My goal so far is just to finish the Ironman. I have no idea what to expect.

My times in the cycling portion in the past have been like this:

Steelhead HIM 2008 Bike - 2:49:25
Chicago triathlon Olympic 2008 Bike - 01:13:08

These have been on relatively flat courses compared to Lanzarote though.

In your experience, would you say the BT free Ironman training program is adequate to prepare for the event? As far as cycling, how important would you say incorporating strength training is for preparing for some climbing?

Edited by maurof78 2009-01-16 5:05 PM
2009-01-16 6:14 PM
in reply to: #1913051

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

I'm not sure about the BT plan, I'll give it a look.  In prep for IMKY last year I did 4 rides over 100 miles and 2 more over 90.  I raced IMKY at 172 and 12% body fat.

Okay for strength training.  It wouldn't hurt, as long as you can recover to have quality swim, bike and run workouts.  My weight routine is mostly body weight exercises and a few free weight exercises.  If you want more details let me know. 

How lean are you?  Like I said above I was 12% BF in 08.  For my goals this year thats way too much.  I want to be under 8% for 09.  Two reasons.  One IMKY is one of the hillier courses on the circuit and the less I have to pull up the hill the better.  Two most adipose tissue is subcutaneous or right under the skin.  This can trap some the body heat on a hot day.  So thin out this layer and it "may" help disperse body heat.  "may" is in quotes because its one of those theories, in which I've never seen studies.  But it seems logical.

On another note is the step it up challenge, the one where you race up the Sears Tower.

2009-01-17 1:39 AM
in reply to: #1908633

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Reason for my name: it's my email address!
Reason for that: back in primary school, I was the shortest person in the grade - hence the 'little' part. 9 is just a random number because someone had already taken 'stuart_little'.

I'm not sure I can supply too much knowledge to anyone either, but will also be part of the support crew.
2009-01-17 11:08 AM

User image

Chicago, IL
Thanks for the response Mark. I'll have to check my BF these days. Last time I checked on a regular home scale I was around 15%. I take it this is perhaps not the best method to get accurate results?

It is good you mentioned BF though because I have been very interested to learn more about nutrition and lowering my BF content. Perhaps you can enlighten us all on this topic as well.

The Step up for the Children race I'll be participating in is 80 floors up the AON Center in Chicago. It is the third tallest building in Chicago after Sears Tower and the new Trump tower. This is just something some friends and I have been doing for fun and charity the past 5-6 years.

2009-01-17 3:16 PM
in reply to: #1913768

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

BF is a more specific way to measure your progress.  As some one training for an Ironman your body is constantly in an inflammed state.  This will cause your body will hold/retain more water.  Thus affecting your body weight when weighing by scale.  BF is only for fat/adipose tissue.

Losing body weight is an easy concept: burn more than you eat = weight lost, eat more than you burn = weight gain.  I know you know this, but the big thing is how do I know what I've burned during a workout.  That I can't tell you.  I had my VO2 and metabolic rates calculated.  And I know that run=swim and bike=weight training.  Also usually when you get your BF measured they can ball bark your Resting Metabolic Rate RMR.  Also, RMR is the number of calories you would burn if you sat in a chair and breathed.  But you do more than that in a day.  My coach says add 200 calories to 600 calories a day for your job.  200 cal. for a desk job and up to 600 cal. for a construction worker or other labor intense job.

I'll use my self as an example.  RMR = 1900, job = 300, 1 hr bike @TP = 800 cal., 1 hr run @ TP = 900 cal.  So for this day I would have burned 3900 calories.  My charts are below

It’s a general consensus that there are 3500 calories in a pound of body fat.  So to loose a pound of body fat in a week you need to have a 500 cal deficit for each day.

Run

Heart Rate Kc/minCalories per Hour F/minFatCarbs*
155 16.2972 2.8168755
155-17518.110863.4204828
175-18520.3121821201037

Bike

Heart Rate Kc/minCalories per Hour F/minFatCarbs*
   0  00
145-165169604.2252660
165-17517.410443.2192800

Note: My workouts include a 5min warmup and a 5 min cool down below TP zones. 

Please ask more questions.  I may need to be more clear. 

2009-01-17 3:58 PM

User image

Expert
The nutrition program on BT is pretty good for figuring calories consumed each day. One can also upload a program called Fitday for free or you can upgrade for a fee. This program figures calories consumed AND calories burned per activity. You can even log how many minutes of housecleaning you do and it is amazing how much energy that takes!
2009-01-17 5:25 PM
in reply to: #1914033

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
I use the BT nutrition logs are very helpful.  I like the frequent and custom meals.
2009-01-18 3:04 PM

User image

Expert
Ya know, you guys are awful serious. It's okay to talk to eachother, not just ask Bama Q's. Where is all that post-exercise euphoria?

I do have a couple questions though: When is it time to get a coach? How do you test body fat? I think the bio-impedance scales are inaccurate for athletes because using calipers, my BF was WAY lower than on the impedance scale and I think it has something to do with the inflammatory factor?

And on a happy little note, I am finally down on the scale nearly 7 pounds, likely because I skipped some rounds of the yeast/parasite cleanse herbs I have been taking. The solution to polution is dilution. So, if you are cleansing, your body hangs on to the water to dilute the poisons you are releasing with the cleanse. I slowed the cleanse down, and my body dumped the water weight. I'd like to think a wee bit of it is fat lost too

To everyone: how did you first decide to become a triathlete? And why? What do you most enjoy about it?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 11