BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-04-19 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2071252

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go.
Watched my first tri today. It was a spirnt at NC State. They sent the swimmers off one at at time. I really wanted to watch the transitions. It was wild the idfferences in equipment. Fully decked out tri-bikes to old mountain biked without even rat traps. Ages were from 15 to 60's. Fun to watch. I ran 10.7 miles yesterday so I was not too upset I wasn't competing as my Hamstrings were a little sore.

I think I will feel more comfortable when I do my first tri having watch one ahead of time. Oh I did go ride the course I will be riding on June 6. 4 bike laps seems odd, but what the heck.

Doug

2009-04-19 6:04 PM

Lancaster,Pa / Onancock,Va
I really need to get my training log set up but here is my current story

My bike is a new trek 7.3 which I have 8 mile on !! it is only 1 week old and weather has not been real biking friendly I have a circuit here in Millersville ,Pa  that is fairly hilly but off the betten path so I am comftorable  I have ridden twice for 20 and 24 minutes  real tough but also trying to get used to the bike (this is all new to me) a struggle

I have been swimming for 2 weeks and I can do 200 yards now without stopping and limiting my wall push and glide to a minimun again another struggle  keep doing 50's with a small breather  @ 30 - 60 secs   working on elongating my stroke reaching that last 2 inches and a good chin  tuck to shoulder and hip ratation for breathing rotating both sides 

Walked  for 57 minutes tody on a very hilly course and felt pretty good

At age  59  3/4 and 290lbs,  deteriating left knee  I know I didn't get here overnight so i am ready for the haul !!!

I have a heart rate  moniter I will start to use and I am going to a running store here in Lanc ,Pa for a good pair of shoes and maybe superfeet insoles if it worth the expense  ANY THOUGHTS

My anticipated routine for the near future Swim M-W-F morning followed by at least 20 minutes stationary bike interval working 

also M-W-F walk ,run in the late afternoon evening keep at least 45-60 minute combined activity but try some track workouts within the walk for some of the run portion  I have access to a college track less than 1/2 mile from home 

T-Th morning  weight training  ,stretching and maybe some eliptical t-Th afternoon bike 

fairy agressive  routine and I am looking to hook up with Lanc bike club to do some casual bike rides T -Th 

Looking for feedback,constructive advice and any thoughts on running shoes,or my bike 

I do think i will get a wet suite as I get closser to goal and become acclimated with it prior to trying any open water train swims

Don't have spell check or at least i can't find it so bear with spelling and gramer

Richard  (trainee)

2009-04-20 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2091844

User image

New York City
I feel that I am set up pretty well. I am trying to do an Olympic distance this year.

Swim: I have taken a bunch of swim classes, which gave me a one hour workout every week. My form has improved dramatically. My endurance still needs work. I bought a wetsuit this year. I am looking forward to trying it out.

Bike: I have a Specialized road bike that I bought in Fall 2007. I am pretty happy wth it. I have done the Wyckoff 17 mile course 3 times, a 20 mile training ride, and I did a 30 mile excursion ride Saturday over the George Washingont Bride into Manhattan. That was pretty cool. I stiill feel that I have a lot of work to go in terms of increasing my speed and endurance on hills.

Run: Ran 6 miles yesterday on a high school track. I think that is the longest I have ever run. It felt pretty good.

All in all, a very good active weekend.

John
2009-04-20 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2096710

Regular
Denver
What Specialized bike do you have?  Do you like it?  I test rode a couple of different Specialized Roubaixs and a Tarmac Comp yesterday.
2009-04-20 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2097177

User image

New York City
I have a 2007 Specialized Sequoia. I don't think they make them any more. Because it was the first bike I was buying in a long time and I did not want to make a big investment unless I was really going to ride a lot and do a triathlon, I went for the base model (meaning least expensive). So I paid about $800 for it.

I like the bike a lot. I especially like way the handlebars are set up: there are extra brake levers on the top bar of the handle bars which makes braking easier.

In all, I am satisfied with Specialized. I think if I upgrade in a year or so, I would probably look seriously at the Roubaix or Tarmac.

Good luck.

John
2009-04-20 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2094773

I began running in Jan.  I've never been a runner.  I'm using the Beginner-Sprint program from beginnertriathlete.com to guide my training.  

I've also gotten ahold of the "Complete guide to triathlon swimming" and I'm trying to do the drills recommended.  I'm still finding that I can't do the times that the Beginner-Sprint program are recommending.  As an example I'm suppose to do a 3200m swim today in 1hr.  Past experience has me at the 1.5hr mark for these distances.

I haven't gotten any specialized training on bike or run other than reading articles on this site and following the guidance from the program I'm following.

Kevin 

Update:  While I'm back from the swim and I had to cutoff at 1hr.  I got in 1800m.  I struggled with my breathing.  I'm pretty sure I know what I'm suppose to do - I just don't do it!!  Arrgghh.  Some laps feel great - then there are the laps where I seem to be drowning - my breathing is all screwed up and I'm swallowing water.  I was told on the way out of the pool that the secret is in the breathing...

Edited by millk3 2009-04-20 4:34 PM

2009-04-20 4:46 PM
in reply to: #2095413

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
DougRob - 2009-04-19 12:01 PM

Watched my first tri today. It was a spirnt at NC State. They sent the swimmers off one at at time. I really wanted to watch the transitions. It was wild the idfferences in equipment. Fully decked out tri-bikes to old mountain biked without even rat traps. Ages were from 15 to 60's. Fun to watch. I ran 10.7 miles yesterday so I was not too upset I wasn't competing as my Hamstrings were a little sore.

I think I will feel more comfortable when I do my first tri having watch one ahead of time. Oh I did go ride the course I will be riding on June 6. 4 bike laps seems odd, but what the heck.

Doug

Its good you got the chance to watch a race like that. Did you pick out any pointers from the pros?
2009-04-20 5:00 PM
in reply to: #2095754

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
trainee - 2009-04-19 4:04 PM

I really need to get my training log set up but here is my current story

My bike is a new trek 7.3 which I have 8 mile on !! it is only 1 week old and weather has not been real biking friendly I have a circuit here in Millersville ,Pa  that is fairly hilly but off the betten path so I am comftorable  I have ridden twice for 20 and 24 minutes  real tough but also trying to get used to the bike (this is all new to me) a struggle

I have been swimming for 2 weeks and I can do 200 yards now without stopping and limiting my wall push and glide to a minimun again another struggle  keep doing 50's with a small breather  @ 30 - 60 secs   working on elongating my stroke reaching that last 2 inches and a good chin  tuck to shoulder and hip ratation for breathing rotating both sides 

Walked  for 57 minutes tody on a very hilly course and felt pretty good

At age  59  3/4 and 290lbs,  deteriating left knee  I know I didn't get here overnight so i am ready for the haul !!!

I have a heart rate  moniter I will start to use and I am going to a running store here in Lanc ,Pa for a good pair of shoes and maybe superfeet insoles if it worth the expense  ANY THOUGHTS

My anticipated routine for the near future Swim M-W-F morning followed by at least 20 minutes stationary bike interval working 

also M-W-F walk ,run in the late afternoon evening keep at least 45-60 minute combined activity but try some track workouts within the walk for some of the run portion  I have access to a college track less than 1/2 mile from home 

T-Th morning  weight training  ,stretching and maybe some eliptical t-Th afternoon bike 

fairy agressive  routine and I am looking to hook up with Lanc bike club to do some casual bike rides T -Th 

Looking for feedback,constructive advice and any thoughts on running shoes,or my bike 

I do think i will get a wet suite as I get closser to goal and become acclimated with it prior to trying any open water train swims

Don't have spell check or at least i can't find it so bear with spelling and gramer

Richard  (trainee)

YOu are off to a really strong start and have the right idea in your approach to your training. Heading into it slowly but steadly will keep you in for the long haul and off the injured list. Getting fit for shoes will help a lot. The superfeet I have mixed experience in. I had them in my race and training shoes and ended up pulling them out of both but they jsut didn't work for me. They may work for you and I have heard a lot of good things about them. You might try your shoes first and you can always add them later. I have an older trek bike and I absolutely love it. I have put a lot of miles on it and made a lot of chnages to the bolt on accessories and gearing but the bike just keeps taking more and more.

One thought on your training. This is what works for me but your schedule may allow differently. For me the only workout I do outside of the three disciplines is a core workout. Weight training can create bulkier, less flexible muscles and that seems a little counter productive to me who is already bulky and not very flexible. A good core workout is essential because of the injury prevention and importance of a solid core for almost everything you do. Just my personal preference. I have worked out for years and actually stopped when I did triathlons and the weight came off, cardio fitness went way up and I still feel like I am in good shape. I will also say though that if you can get all of your other workouts done and can do weights in a way that compliments your tri training then go for it. Just my 2 cents.
2009-04-20 5:03 PM
in reply to: #2096710

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
JohnOD - 2009-04-20 7:03 AM

I feel that I am set up pretty well. I am trying to do an Olympic distance this year.

Swim: I have taken a bunch of swim classes, which gave me a one hour workout every week. My form has improved dramatically. My endurance still needs work. I bought a wetsuit this year. I am looking forward to trying it out.

Bike: I have a Specialized road bike that I bought in Fall 2007. I am pretty happy wth it. I have done the Wyckoff 17 mile course 3 times, a 20 mile training ride, and I did a 30 mile excursion ride Saturday over the George Washingont Bride into Manhattan. That was pretty cool. I stiill feel that I have a lot of work to go in terms of increasing my speed and endurance on hills.

Run: Ran 6 miles yesterday on a high school track. I think that is the longest I have ever run. It felt pretty good.

All in all, a very good active weekend.

John

That is a good weekend, nice job. Getting swim lessons like you have is a good start. It is much easier to start with good habits than to change them later on. SOunds like you are getting some good base down too.
2009-04-20 5:11 PM
in reply to: #2097375

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
millk3 - 2009-04-20 10:12 AM

I began running in Jan.  I've never been a runner.  I'm using the Beginner-Sprint program from beginnertriathlete.com to guide my training.  

I've also gotten ahold of the "Complete guide to triathlon swimming" and I'm trying to do the drills recommended.  I'm still finding that I can't do the times that the Beginner-Sprint program are recommending.  As an example I'm suppose to do a 3200m swim today in 1hr.  Past experience has me at the 1.5hr mark for these distances.

I haven't gotten any specialized training on bike or run other than reading articles on this site and following the guidance from the program I'm following.

Kevin 

Update:  While I'm back from the swim and I had to cutoff at 1hr.  I got in 1800m.  I struggled with my breathing.  I'm pretty sure I know what I'm suppose to do - I just don't do it!!  Arrgghh.  Some laps feel great - then there are the laps where I seem to be drowning - my breathing is all screwed up and I'm swallowing water.  I was told on the way out of the pool that the secret is in the breathing...

Those are big workouts. I would say that if you want to put in the yardage I would break up the time. You don't want an all intense workout. If it takes you 1.5 hrs to finish 3200 then nice job for sticking it out and getting it done! Usually when I swim a longer workout, I start out with a nice slow 400 warm up, Get my mind into breathing right etc. Then 400 drills. Usually 100 x 4 different drills. Then the main set of the workout. Then a 400 cool down. For the main set break up the effort, give yourself some rest periods... not too long though, and focus on technique. The speed will come. I have even found that when I slow down and concentrate on breathing and stroke, my times don't actually go up much and evetually go back down. Technique basically will take you a lot farther than just effort. I have seen several people hanging on bouys at races because they hoped effort would make up for technique. If you ever need workouts let me know. I have a coach I work with and he gives me overall times to shoot for but they are based on past experience. We could do yours that way too.
2009-04-20 5:13 PM
in reply to: #2097375

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
millk3 - 2009-04-20 10:12 AM

Kevin 

I also had a doctor tell me on etime that well runners are usually tall and skinny and well ....I am not either of those things and should not keep running. I have been running ever since just to prove him wrong. You will be a runner too. Just keep up your effort.

2009-04-20 6:14 PM
in reply to: #2098223

Thanks,

I can use a good swim program.  I imported the program into my training log and I'm starting to wonder if I picked the wrong one.  I changed the end date to match my May 3 Sprint.  I know I can do the distances - it will take me longer to finish, but I will finish.  I have lost 30lbs since last summer which is a goal met already.  I know I'm pushing to much effort and not enough technique and I'm a little frustrated because of this.

2009-04-20 7:43 PM

User image

New user

To millk3
I've been swimming since I was little but I tend to find that swimming although some of it is strength and conditioning alot of it is technique. Your size does not matter when it comes to water but remember there is no use in wasting your energy in fighting it. I would either look at swim sites (I havent searched this site enough to know what all is on it) and watch the videos and  then critique your form. If you feel like you are having touble breathing breathe more. I know this isn't the correct answer but if you are too focused on a lack of air then your form might fail and until it becomes second nature it is the most important. 
2009-04-20 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2098388

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
millk3 - 2009-04-20 4:14 PM

Thanks,

I can use a good swim program.  I imported the program into my training log and I'm starting to wonder if I picked the wrong one.  I changed the end date to match my May 3 Sprint.  I know I can do the distances - it will take me longer to finish, but I will finish.  I have lost 30lbs since last summer which is a goal met already.  I know I'm pushing to much effort and not enough technique and I'm a little frustrated because of this.

Good for you for the weight loss! Thats great. When I first started racing my goal was just to finish. And now my goal is just to finish strong which to me means that I am not crawling and puking across the finish. To finish strong I need to pace and remember technique as much as I need to be fit. The fitness will come with time. Another thought is if you are doing sprint distances then you don't need to do 3200 yards. A sprint is 400-600 yards depending on which one. SO I would max around 1500 and just focus on doing that distance well and maybe do some shorter faster workouts also during the week. Just a thought.
2009-04-20 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2098554

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Kristen3479 - 2009-04-20 5:43 PM

To millk3
I've been swimming since I was little but I tend to find that swimming although some of it is strength and conditioning alot of it is technique. Your size does not matter when it comes to water but remember there is no use in wasting your energy in fighting it. I would either look at swim sites (I havent searched this site enough to know what all is on it) and watch the videos and  then critique your form. If you feel like you are having touble breathing breathe more. I know this isn't the correct answer but if you are too focused on a lack of air then your form might fail and until it becomes second nature it is the most important. 

Good advice Kristen. Thanks for your input. It will be great to have a strong swimmer in our group as it is usually peoples weak point.
2009-04-21 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2098806

Regular
Denver

Have any of you done "Total Immersion" swimming?  I've bought the book & DVD, mostly because I thought this video made it look so easy to swim: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4

So far I haven't done too well with the drills, I think it would help to have a partner.  I might do one of their clinics, although they are pretty pricey for two days.

Bob

2009-04-21 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2098804

I adjusted my program a week and a half ago.  I re-imported what I thought was the same program for "Beginner-Sprint".  The distances I had been working on were almost doubled.  I think the import got messed up or I picked the wrong one.  Before the re-import my max distance would be around 2400m and that was once in a two week block at most.  

I've got the name of a swim coach - I'm thinking I should get at least one lesson before I compete.  I'm hoping I can get some help with my breathing and technique.

Your right about the distance it is to much.

Edited by millk3 2009-04-21 4:39 PM
2009-04-21 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2099802

New user

BobJ123 - 2009-04-21 9:57 AM

Have any of you done "Total Immersion" swimming?  I've bought the book & DVD, mostly because I thought this video made it look so easy to swim: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4

So far I haven't done too well with the drills, I think it would help to have a partner.  I might do one of their clinics, although they are pretty pricey for two days.

Bob

Man that guy really makes that look fluid.  The only concern I would have, is during a race situation in open water, trying to breath with all the wave/wakes from other swimmers/weather using that technique.

Chris

Edited by street3936 2009-04-21 2:01 PM
2009-04-21 4:26 PM

User image

New user

Im a little curious on how people are training for their workouts? Im new do this multitraining for all 3 sports. I got some advice from my co-workers  but Im just interested to hear how others are doing it. Also considering I'm training for my first tri I'm wondering what resonable goals are for times and such. Any advice is appreciated. 
2009-04-21 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2100971

User image

Regular
Providence, R.I.
Kristen3479 - 2009-04-21 4:26 PM Im a little curious on how people are training for their workouts? Im new do this multitraining for all 3 sports. I got some advice from my co-workers  but Im just interested to hear how others are doing it. Also considering I'm training for my first tri I'm wondering what resonable goals are for times and such. Any advice is appreciated. 

I think a good deal of it depends on what your strengths are.  I think before you said you had a significant background in swimming.  This is also where my strong point is.  When I started out I mainly focused on the running and the biking with only a little bit of swimming thrown in for good measure.  My problem was that I wasn't really following a plan of any kind.  I really had no concept of building up workouts over the weeks (10% increase each week) and then backing off every 4th week and allowing my body to recover.  My only plans this year so far are to compete in around 3 sprints and also do the swim leg of a HIM relay.  Since swimming is my strong point but I also need to keep up my yardage I chose to follow the Olympic distance plan with a focus on getting each discipline at least twice a week. It's the Oly 2x plan here on BT.  The only exception is the days of the short swim.  I will sometimes skip that if I have to since I know I still have the long swim later in the week.  It also gives you 2 off days a week to work with which helps in planning the weeks out (I have to work around the lap schedule at the Y).  I know it is probably way too much work for a sprint but I am also trying to build a strong base and I am really trying to lose some weight.

This is probably way too much information than you were looking for but I just thought I would offer my take on all of this.  Best of luck.
2009-04-22 12:47 PM

User image

New York City
I don't think my approach is all that scientific. Because I don't have the time or predictable work hours to follow a training program, I just try to do the following:

Sat am -- Long Bike (my trathlon club has a weekly ride)
Sun am -- Long Run

During the week, I try to fit in a swim, a weight session, and some other workout (either bike trainer or a short run). I try to do it after work or if I am ambitious early in the am.

Last night, I swam. 200 yards warm-up, 300 yards drills, and then 10 x 100 swimming freestyle. When I swim, I focus on form, counting my strokes, and trying to be smooth (instead of exerting myself).

This Saturday, I am thinking of running for 30 mins after the bike ride.

For a first tri, just focus on finishing in a time that you are comfortable with and have fun. My time dropped by a full 15 minutes from my first sprint to my second, due primarily to the difficulty of the bike course. The first course had a lot of hills; the second one was flatter.

2009-04-22 5:51 PM

I'm using one of the BT programs that I've imported into my training log.  The one I used is the Beginner to Sprint one.

I do swim M-W-Sat, bike Tu-Th-Sat-Sun, run Tu-Th-Sun, Strength - M-W, Core Sun-M-Tu-W-Th

I take Fridays off.

Reasonable times - I've been told to just have fun.  My first goal was to get healthier, loss weight and finish.  I'm already annoyed with my time in the pool and will be getting some stroke improvement coaching.  My first tri is May 3rd so I'll know more after that...  
2009-04-22 5:53 PM

Regular
Denver
Kristen3479 - 2009-04-21 3:26 PM Im a little curious on how people are training for their workouts? Im new do this multitraining for all 3 sports. I got some advice from my co-workers  but Im just interested to hear how others are doing it. Also considering I'm training for my first tri I'm wondering what resonable goals are for times and such. Any advice is appreciated. 

I'm running three times a week and biking three times a week, and taking one day completely off (Mondays).  Someday real soon I'll convert my spreadsheet to a BT training log so you all can see it.  I try to get three swims in too, generally if I have to go to the Y to either run on the treadmill or bike on the stationary bike, I'll swim that night too.  But, I've been failing a bit at this as the weather has gotten nicer (aside from last week's big snowstorm here in Denver) so I've been running/biking outside more and my swimming has suffered for it.  Tonight I'm going to try riding my bike to the Y, then swimming, then riding home.  If it works out, that will be a nice time saver.

I'm training for my first tri too, a sprint in August (500m swim, 12 mi bike, 5k run).  At least right now my goals are 1) actually finish 2) < 10 minutes for the swim 3) < 40 minutes for the bike 4) < 30 minutes for the run. 

I'm going to try to run my first ever 5k on Sunday and expect that to be more in the 36+ minute range, if I can finish without walking (the furthest I've run so far is 2.6 miles).  I've been running at about 12 mph on the treadmill, outside I haven't been clocking myself, I just know how far it is around a certain park.
2009-04-22 5:54 PM
in reply to: #2098804

I've gotten ahold of a swim coach.  I go on Friday.  The coach is a Triathlon coach and has already suggested I spend some time in a spin class.  (I've been using a recumbent bike instead of getting a trainer).
2009-04-23 3:16 PM

User image

New user

Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate.  I still have to figure out the best schedule for me but I'm certianly going to make the weekend days one long run and one long bike. 5 weeks to go till my first tri! Now if I only only find a tri clun or a bike club in this area I like.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go. Rss Feed  

of 10