BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-04-13 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2080516

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Subject: RE: GordoByrn -- Open For New Short Course Triathletes
Boom808 - 2009-04-13 8:27 AM
GordoByrn - 2009-04-11 6:58 PM
Boom808 - 2009-04-09 7:06 AM

Name- Boom

Story- Quit smoking and decided to run a marathon last november....  After completing the marathon i decided i want to get into tri's for the cross training because i didn't lose any weight marathon training... actually gained weight... too much beer and wings

Family Status- Single with a Girlfriend and 2 English Bulldogs (Bacon and Ham Bone)

Current Training- Found a "Fisher Price My First Tri book" and am using that training plan.

2009 Races- I finished my first sprint march 5th and finished 5th in my age group..  During the Tri realized, i love this stuff....   also realized that i have alot of training ahead of me because i can swim worth a **** ......  next race is on may 9th another sprint,....  thankfully i can only get stonger from here right?

Weightloss- was up to 220 in December....  Am down to 190 and hopt to get down to 180 or 175....  really a number doesn't really matter....  would just like to lose my love handles. 

What will make me a good mentee - I'm motivated... Um... i don't think... i execute...  Drill Sergeant said i'm a killer....  i'm motivated, ready to learn, train and i'm really excited about this new lifestyle!

Boom,

Welcome

Question for you about your swimming -- how relaxed do you feel in the water when you swim?

g

Not relaxed at all....  I mean it has nothing with the water it's my breathing...  i feel like i struggle with breathing.  I try to bilateral breath all the time but i can only do it for maybe 75 meters...  once the bilateral breathing stops... i'm usually tired?  So inturn, i then feel uncomfortable because my breathing is labored.  Breathing sucks so then i get tired and then i get uncomfortable then i'm not relaxed any more. 

Thanks in advance for the help.

Boom

If you can do 75s with the b/l 3 then stick to 50s for your swimming (now).  Build your endurance while relaxed -- you can do that with 50s, or even 25s.  Be wary of using the rest to "go fast" -- key is to use the rest to stay relaxed.  Once you learn to take relaxed breaths, you'll find it much easier to stay comfortable for 100 and beyond.

If you've ever played golf, or tennis, then swimming is a lot like that... a series of strokes linked over time.  To get the most of your strokes, you need to build, then maintain that relaxation.

Check out this article for additional background...
http://www.endurancecorner.com/library/swimming/benchmarking_your_swimming

It gives you a road map on how to develop.

g

2009-04-13 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2080598

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Also, started the b/l breathing today and that was tough for me.  I did not seem to be getting my head up enough on my off side, kept getting water in my nose and mouth.  Only my first day so I will attempt to not get discouraged.

Edited by cjhild 2009-04-13 12:50 PM
2009-04-13 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2072085

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring

G

Did the Endurance Builder 1,400 today and had a question.  Is there rest after the 4x25s or only after 4x25, 2x125s?

It seems the longer distances I start to swim the more likely I leave the pool feeling like I swallowed a beach ball.  Is that due to taking in too much air? not getting rid of enough carbon dioxide?  I can see where this would be a bigger problem if I had to immediately get on the bike or god forbid run!

Thanks.
Suzy

2009-04-13 12:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
G- the way my schedule works out it is optimal for me to swim/run Mon-Thurs.  This only leaves Fri-Sat for bike or run.  The bike is my favorite of the three disciplines and schedule permitting I would like to ride those weekend days.  I would even rather ride some during Mon-Thurs but it is less convenient because it now gets light later in the morning.  I start work at 7:00 am, giving me less than an hour of what I find to be an acceptable amount of light to ride and feel safe.

My question is, is it a detriment to have my 2-3 bikes on the weekend as opposed to spread out more during the week?

I could fit in more bike in the week, but it would be right at sunrise and I would prefer to not ride when car's visibility of me is low.
2009-04-13 5:32 PM
in reply to: #2080426

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

SSMinnow - 2009-04-13 9:57 AM
BabsVa - 2009-04-12 8:26 PM

NAME: Barbara, age **

GOALS: Fun and fitness. Sure, I would like to get faster but at my age, is that really gonna happen?

Heck yeah that can happen!  I didn't start running seriously until I was 39 years old.  Flash forward nearly seven years  and I PR'ed in every distance since that time.  Now I just need to translate that into triathlon, especially swimming and transitions! Welcome aboard.

You mean there is hope for me, I am 48 and am very slow in the water, on my feet and on the bike.

2009-04-13 5:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

Hi Gordo,

Any good advice on shin splints? I stretch, roll and ice. I take a few days off and things feel good again. I start out slow and easy and build back up a bit before I get back to it. They always come back. I just tried a new pair of shoes for two weeks and am returning them tomorrow for another pair, they didn't work.

Karen

2009-04-13 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2081840

User image

Champion
twohearted - 2009-04-13 5:32 PM

SSMinnow - 2009-04-13 9:57 AM
BabsVa - 2009-04-12 8:26 PM

NAME: Barbara, age **

GOALS: Fun and fitness. Sure, I would like to get faster but at my age, is that really gonna happen?

Heck yeah that can happen!  I didn't start running seriously until I was 39 years old.  Flash forward nearly seven years  and I PR'ed in every distance since that time.  Now I just need to translate that into triathlon, especially swimming and transitions! Welcome aboard.

You mean there is hope for me, I am 48 and am very slow in the water, on my feet and on the bike.

Hey Karen

Yep, there is hope for all of us over 40! Turning 46 on 4/25 and I have every expectation that I will be faster on the bike and swim than last year!  Consistency and incorporating key workouts have done wonders for me over the winter.  Still have a long way to go,  but that is ok.  There is plenty of time to be speedier.

As far as shin splints, I suffered from them when I first started running.  Do you tend to overstride when you run?  I did that and when it happens you are actually putting a slight breaking motion on your lower legs which can lead to shin splints.  Not saying this is your issue, but it is something to consider.  One other thought, are you in the right shoes? or are they old?

Suzy
2009-04-13 7:57 PM

Expert

Karen - try running on trails or grass or other soft surfaces - ? 

My latest ailment is hamstring tendonitis - what is up with that? Suzy didn't you have something hamstring going on? Seems biking hills aggravates it, but here in the piedmont of the Blue Ridge Mountains that's all we got. I wonder about these varying tendonitises I get. 

And here's another thing I wonder about. Why does swimming seem so much harder than say running? Like swimming a 100, HR is 135 but I feel much more spent than if I were running, maintaining a HR of 135, I'd be chatting away, and going forever.

Babs

2009-04-13 8:25 PM

User image

New user

Hey all

Question -- will we be (or should we be) following a specific program for this mentor program?  Just curious, as my training is kind of just what I can do when I can do it right now.... 

I do have a goal race in mind -- 17 weeks from this weekend... Tri in the Pines in Show Low AZ.  I did the race 3 years ago, that was the last time I raced.

I would love to put some structure to my training, but am also happy just to train.

Off to the YMCA, will run and do weights during my daughter's volleyball practice.  Then off to San Fran tomorrow for 2 days.  Will also probably do the same workout there Wed morning.  Tomorrow is travel, and rest day from training.

ken

2009-04-13 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

Suzy, yes I think at times I do over stride. I have been working on leaning slightly forward with shorter quicker cadence. I relly have to pay attention to that.

Babs, I do notice a difference when I run on a Rail Trail or dirt road, if feels way better.

Thanks, Karen

2009-04-14 5:25 AM
in reply to: #2082187

User image

Champion
Ken in AZ - 2009-04-13 8:25 PM

Hey all

Question -- will we be (or should we be) following a specific program for this mentor program?  Just curious, as my training is kind of just what I can do when I can do it right now.... 

I do have a goal race in mind -- 17 weeks from this weekend... Tri in the Pines in Show Low AZ.  I did the race 3 years ago, that was the last time I raced.

I would love to put some structure to my training, but am also happy just to train.

Off to the YMCA, will run and do weights during my daughter's volleyball practice.  Then off to San Fran tomorrow for 2 days.  Will also probably do the same workout there Wed morning.  Tomorrow is travel, and rest day from training.

ken

Hey Ken

I agree following a program leading up to your event is a good idea.  As soon as I finish this marathon, I need to figure out what that program will be.  I am guessing all of our programs will be a little different based on goals, strengths and length of our races.  If you haven't done so, you should look at the programs on BT.  There are a lot to select from depending on your goals and past history.

Enjoy San Fran!
Suzy

2009-04-14 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2081181

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-04-13 11:48 AM Also, started the b/l breathing today and that was tough for me.  I did not seem to be getting my head up enough on my off side, kept getting water in my nose and mouth.  Only my first day so I will attempt to not get discouraged.

Break the intervals into little chunks so that you have low-stress and can learn the new movement pattern -- a series of 25s, or 50s -- quite useful.

Think "chin up" rather than "head up" -- that way you turn, rather than lift, your head -- it will keep your hips higher in the water and result in better body position.

2009-04-14 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2081184

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
SSMinnow - 2009-04-13 11:49 AM

G

Did the Endurance Builder 1,400 today and had a question.  Is there rest after the 4x25s or only after 4x25, 2x125s?

It seems the longer distances I start to swim the more likely I leave the pool feeling like I swallowed a beach ball.  Is that due to taking in too much air? not getting rid of enough carbon dioxide?  I can see where this would be a bigger problem if I had to immediately get on the bike or god forbid run!

Thanks.
Suzy

Suzy,

4x25 has rest -- yes.  If I write 100, or note 'continuous', then you'd keep it rolling without stopping.

You may be swallowing air -- do you think that is the case?

2009-04-14 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2081866

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
twohearted - 2009-04-13 4:44 PM

Hi Gordo,

Any good advice on shin splints? I stretch, roll and ice. I take a few days off and things feel good again. I start out slow and easy and build back up a bit before I get back to it. They always come back. I just tried a new pair of shoes for two weeks and am returning them tomorrow for another pair, they didn't work.

Karen

Karen,

Few qs...

How many times per week do you run?  For how long?  How fast are you running?

If you are standing relaxed then where are your feet pointing?  Toes out?  Toes in?  Straight ahead?

Ask the run store if they think you might benefit from additional medial posting.

g
2009-04-14 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2082125

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
BabsVa - 2009-04-13 6:57 PM

And here's another thing I wonder about. Why does swimming seem so much harder than say running? Like swimming a 100, HR is 135 but I feel much more spent than if I were running, maintaining a HR of 135, I'd be chatting away, and going forever.

Babs

Muscle mass -- you are working a smaller amount of muscle mass more intensely in the water -- different sort of limiter for most of us.

2009-04-14 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2082187

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Ken in AZ - 2009-04-13 7:25 PM

Hey all

ken

Hi Ken,

No program required -- I'm a resource for you to ask general questions about your program.  As we are on the BT site, your first stop should be their programs.  They have helped a lot of people and I am pals with the coach that wrote them.

2009-04-14 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2082195

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
twohearted - 2009-04-13 7:26 PM

Suzy, yes I think at times I do over stride. I have been working on leaning slightly forward with shorter quicker cadence. I relly have to pay attention to that.

Babs, I do notice a difference when I run on a Rail Trail or dirt road, if feels way better.

Thanks, Karen

Karen, 

Good tips with the quicker cadence and shorter stride -- also the softer surfaces.  At your paces, the lean is less important -- better to focus on quick, short stride hitting directly under your body.

2009-04-14 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2084123

User image

Champion
GordoByrn - 2009-04-14 3:01 PM

G

Thanks.
Suzy

Suzy,

4x25 has rest -- yes.  If I write 100, or note 'continuous', then you'd keep it rolling without stopping.

Probably.  How do I get over that? inhale less? exhale more?
2009-04-14 4:40 PM
in reply to: #2084134

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

GordoByrn - 2009-04-14 4:04 PM

Hi Gordo,

Karen

Karen,

Few qs...

If you are standing relaxed then where are your feet pointing?  Toes out?  Toes in?  Straight ahead?

Ask the run store if they think you might benefit from additional medial posting.

g

Gordo, I run 3 times per week, 2 times being 30-40 min. and 1 longer run usually 60-70 min. I run between 10.5-11 min/mi. Toes are pointed straight ahead. I am going to the running store on Thur. to exchange some shoes. Will ask about medial posting.

2009-04-14 6:24 PM

Expert

Hey I did Coach G swim workout #2 - purpose is to develop different gears. This is something I needed to work on big time as pacing was something I haven't a clue about - it seemed my swim was either slow or all out. So, I did neg split the three 250's. Yay! Results: Sure, my speeds are slow, slower and slowest but at least now I am feeling a little more in control. The fastest 250 came in faster than my T-pace. And about the T-pace: I feel I can do a little better and plan to redo that TT maybe this weekend.

That is if I don't race.

Yes there is a sprint nearby and the course is great, it would be so much fun, the water is really cold, I really shouldn't run, haven't done a brick in weeks and weeks ... but it would be so fun ...

2009-04-14 7:15 PM
in reply to: #2081218

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
cjhild - 2009-04-13 10:59 AM G- the way my schedule works out it is optimal for me to swim/run Mon-Thurs.  This only leaves Fri-Sat for bike or run.  The bike is my favorite of the three disciplines and schedule permitting I would like to ride those weekend days.  I would even rather ride some during Mon-Thurs but it is less convenient because it now gets light later in the morning.  I start work at 7:00 am, giving me less than an hour of what I find to be an acceptable amount of light to ride and feel safe.

My question is, is it a detriment to have my 2-3 bikes on the weekend as opposed to spread out more during the week?

I could fit in more bike in the week, but it would be right at sunrise and I would prefer to not ride when car's visibility of me is low.

Hey Gordo, what do you think on this one?

2009-04-14 7:23 PM
in reply to: #2084650

User image

Champion
BabsVa - 2009-04-14 6:24 PM

Hey I did Coach G swim workout #2 - purpose is to develop different gears. This is something I needed to work on big time as pacing was something I haven't a clue about - it seemed my swim was either slow or all out. So, I did neg split the three 250's. Yay! Results: Sure, my speeds are slow, slower and slowest but at least now I am feeling a little more in control. The fastest 250 came in faster than my T-pace. And about the T-pace: I feel I can do a little better and plan to redo that TT maybe this weekend.

That is if I don't race.

Yes there is a sprint nearby and the course is great, it would be so much fun, the water is really cold, I really shouldn't run, haven't done a brick in weeks and weeks ... but it would be so fun ...

Ok, I think you are waiting for someone to push you over the edge --- "GO FOR IT"!  Just have fun! You just had a great swim, you can stick on a wetsuit to combat the cold water, wing the transitions and run/walk if you have to! 

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-04-14 7:23 PM
2009-04-14 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2084748

Expert

Hey Gordo, what do you think on this one?

Shh, be vewwy quiet, you silly wabbit ... I think Coach G is westing ... check out his latest Tweet for his latest feat ...

2009-04-14 8:54 PM
in reply to: #2084220

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
SSMinnow - 2009-04-14 2:31 PM
GordoByrn - 2009-04-14 3:01 PM

G

Thanks.
Suzy

Suzy,

Probably.  How do I get over that? inhale less? exhale more?

This might sound sarcastic (it isn't meant to be)... you don't swallow air by not swallowing air.  
To do this, you'll likely need to back off a bit and relax.
g
2009-04-14 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2084434

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
twohearted - 2009-04-14 3:40 PM

GordoByrn - 2009-04-14 4:04 PM

Hi Gordo,

Karen

Karen,

Few qs...

g

Gordo, I run 3 times per week, 2 times being 30-40 min. and 1 longer run usually 60-70 min. I run between 10.5-11 min/mi. Toes are pointed straight ahead. I am going to the running store on Thur. to exchange some shoes. Will ask about medial posting.

Soft surfaces combined with medial posting and consistent application of my calf raise protocol -- see video clip here: http://www.endurancecorner.com/library/strength_training/triathlon_strength_training

So my tips in an earlier post about how to use the calf raises -- the eccentric component is a powerful healing protocol for lower leg issues.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  

of 27