BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2009-12-16 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2562520

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Full...
itsallrelative_Maine - 2009-12-16 1:49 PM Good article...thanks!

So, if I've been "building my running base" for the last three months by running 10K MWF with a longer run on the weekend...when is it appropriate to stop base-building and start the periodization training?

I have also heard that in order to improve in a particular sport, you should do that sport more (want to run faster? run more, etc.)...but at this point, I'm training four times a week in each sport...which leaves me with no time to add additional sessions of any sport. How do you all handle this conundrum?

It seems to me you've got enough running to do some speed work if that's where you want to go.  You are training a fair amount in all the sports, so I wouldn't necessarily think you need to do more than you already are in any one sport, but maybe look at going into faster interval/power type workouts as your periodization and to improve that sport.  There's so many ways to attack this problem it's tough to suggest one approach.  One constant most people have suggested to me is to back off every 4-6 weeks no matter what you're doing.

As for how I handle this conundrum, I want to focus on run this winter.  I plan to get my run up to 5x week for the winter, bike 2 or 3 times with intervals, and swim very little.  My running will eventually be 2 high tempo runs, 1 intervals run, 1 long run, and 1 easier run.  That's my plan to run better by spring, and not lose too much bike fitness.  Once weather allows, I'm going to the hills with the bike 4 times a week and cutting running to 2 or 3, and I'll get to the lake to swim 2 or 3 times a week.  After memorial day, I'll re-evaluate a plan for the last 15 weeks before my HIM mid-September.

2009-12-16 4:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
itsallrelative_Maine - 2009-12-16 12:49 PM Good article...thanks!

So, if I've been "building my running base" for the last three months by running 10K MWF with a longer run on the weekend...when is it appropriate to stop base-building and start the periodization training?

I have also heard that in order to improve in a particular sport, you should do that sport more (want to run faster? run more, etc.)...but at this point, I'm training four times a week in each sport...which leaves me with no time to add additional sessions of any sport. How do you all handle this conundrum?

There are a three different ways you can run "more".  1) increase frequency  2) increase duration  or 3) increase intensity.  It sounds like you are capped out on option #1, so your options are to run further or run harder or both.  There are going to be several theories on the best way to do this, and I can only tell you what has worked for me if you are interested.

As far as question #1.  Most plans call for ending the "prep" phase 20-24 weeks out from your "A" race ( I've seen some as far out as 36 weeks)  You can be doing some "speed" work in the prep phase of your training.  You can incorporate form drills and strides  http://www.runquick.com/corcorn/strides.html.  As someone who is a little older, I find stride work to be very beneficial.  You can then move on to doing some pick-ups (that is strides within a run - eg. :30 stride every 5:00), or some easy fartlek (a 30 minute run that goes back and forth between z-2 and z-3).  Then add a moderately hilly course, and some uptempo runs (z3).  When you get closer to your race you can start doing those fun AT intervals and VO2 max intervals.

Ray.

2009-12-16 5:54 PM
in reply to: #2561917

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2009-12-16 10:22 AM
lroyal0586 - 2009-12-16 8:49 AM I swim pretty well; I've had two years experience on a swim team, so I'm used to laps, it's just a matter of getting back into the routine...  Once I knock the the consistency, I'll start aiming for longer distances and speed.  

Coming from a swim background is great since as Aaron said most triathletes struggle in the water.  One thing I learned is that running right after the bike is very strange, so at some point (not early but once you've got some base) it's worth it to do a few bricks - run immediately after bike.  And another later on thing is to practice transitions - it can be hectic in there.  But I agree that for now just get consistent and get your body used to swim/bike/run.

One thing about bricks is that they are nice timewise to get on a longer workout or let your body know what it feels like. Outside of that there no 'benefit' to doing bricks outside of just 'knowing what it feels like.'

Your training is supposed to get you: to the finish, to the finish faster, lose weight, and go longer.

Here its the thing, if you go out for a hard ride, why are you going to follow it by a run? You are increasing your likelihood to get injured, increasing fatigue and extending the time you will need to recover. Instead of resting, recovering and then getting in another solid workout.

2009-12-16 5:57 PM

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2009-12-16 1:49 PM Good article...thanks!

Go longer. Frequency, speed and distance are all factors. 4 sessions in each is GREAT. Or you can do specific focused periods. For the next 4 weeks, back off on bike and run and increase your swim, distance and frequency. You can do the same for each, you will not lose much in the sports in which you reduce in. For example this past year, I started a swim focus in November and built into early January, which culminated in a swim TT. I then built my run base for 6 weeks with a half marathon. Same for the bike, before taking 10days 'off' and then going into training fulltime.

Edited by aarondavidson 2009-12-16 6:18 PM
2009-12-16 6:31 PM
in reply to: #2563337

User image

NH
aarondavidson - 2009-12-16 6:57 PM
Go longer. Frequency, speed and distance are all factors. 4 sessions in each is GREAT. Or you can do specific focused periods. For the next 4 weeks, back off on bike and run and increase your swim, distance and frequency. You can do the same for each, you will not lose much in the sports in which you reduce in. For example this past year, I started a swim focus in November and built into early January, which culminated in a swim TT. I then built my run base for 6 weeks with a half marathon. Same for the bike, before taking 10days 'off' and then going into training fulltime.

When focusing on one thing, like the swim for you last Nov., how much running/biking do you leave in?  I like that off season idea.

And I agree with you about bricks - it's not a normal or good way to get a key workout in, because something has to give.  I just meant I think it's important to do at least one to get a feel for running with bike legs.
2009-12-17 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
I agree on the bricks...worth doing every so often just to keep your body used to getting the change from cycling motion to running motion. You don't need to go far or fast...just enough to where you feel like you're not galumping anymore.

2009-12-17 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2563333

User image

Expert
WA
aarondavidson - 2009-12-16 3:54 A

Here its the thing, if you go out for a hard ride, why are you going to follow it by a run? You are increasing your likelihood to get injured, increasing fatigue and extending the time you will need to recover. Instead of resting, recovering and then getting in another solid workout.

Well said there!  Yesterday I did all three work outs.  On my swim days I plan to do only one for now on.  Thanks
2009-12-17 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
I hadn't thought about the fact that the bricks weren't letting me train a specific sport to the best of my ability...I had always thought "race like you train." Good points all...I'll try to remember this the weeks coming up to my first tri this season.

I just heard about a tri at the Y in Feb...indoor swim (all the ponds are frozen over, and I don't want to get in the ocean right now, brrrrr!), 20 min on a spin bike + a 5K outdoors...haven't decided if I'm going to give it a try or not. I'm not a big fan of indoor swims. What kind of experience have you all had with indoor swims?

Jennifer
2009-12-17 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2563381

User image

Elite

Here was an example week during my swim build:

Monday: Swim, focus on drills

Tuesday: Swim, long sets, aerobic

Wednesday: Rest day.

Thursday: Bike

Friday: AM Run, PM Run

Saturday:Swim, masters

Sunday: Long Run

2nd example

Monday: Swim test.

Tuesday: Run 45-60min easy, Endurance swim workout

Wednesday: Swim, drills

Thursday: Long ride, 2-2.5hours

Friday: Off

Saturday: Swim, speed

Sunday: Run 75min

2009-12-17 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2564895

User image

NH
aarondavidson - 2009-12-17 1:39 PM

Here was an example week during my swim build:

Monday: Swim, focus on drills

Tuesday: Swim, long sets, aerobic

Wednesday: Rest day.

Thursday: Bike

Friday: AM Run, PM Run

Saturday:Swim, masters

Sunday: Long Run

2nd example

Monday: Swim test.

Tuesday: Run 45-60min easy, Endurance swim workout

Wednesday: Swim, drills

Thursday: Long ride, 2-2.5hours

Friday: Off

Saturday: Swim, speed

Sunday: Run 75min

Thanks.  Does your bike hold up ok through these phases or do you catch it up by focusing bike later on? 

Since I'm totally new to triathlon training, I think I'll bank this plan and use it next offseason once I've actually had an on season.  This offseason is for overall fitness base building but with a run focus.
2009-12-17 4:08 PM
in reply to: #2564887

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2009-12-17 1:36 PM I hadn't thought about the fact that the bricks weren't letting me train a specific sport to the best of my ability...I had always thought "race like you train." Good points all...I'll try to remember this the weeks coming up to my first tri this season.
Jennifer

When you run do you wear tri shorts? When you swim do you wear a race suit? There is something to be said for being comfortable in what you will wear/ingest/do come race day. However run like a runner, swim like a swimmer and bike like a cyclist. Just keep up your mix.

I wear specific shoes, and race kit for races only. I ran trails today, I will not be racing on trails that I know of this year, but they are great for my overall run base.

2009-12-17 4:33 PM
in reply to: #2565479

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
in regards to trails - I read in the Runner's Magazine that trails develop different muscles because of the various terrain you come across, providing a total body workout. It's also a way to relax you during the run and help you just build rather than worrying about pace/distance.

There are some great areas with trails in Albuquerque, this may become a once every two week type of run for me through the winter.

Edited by barelfly 2009-12-17 4:34 PM
2009-12-18 7:52 AM
in reply to: #2565526

User image

NH
barelfly - 2009-12-17 5:33 PM in regards to trails - I read in the Runner's Magazine that trails develop different muscles because of the various terrain you come across, providing a total body workout. It's also a way to relax you during the run and help you just build rather than worrying about pace/distance.

There are some great areas with trails in Albuquerque, this may become a once every two week type of run for me through the winter.

Sounds fun to run on trails.  I'm thinking of doing some snow shoe jogs this winter, I know it's totally different than running but I'm just toying with different ideas to make it through the winter.  Does anyone do anything like that?
2009-12-18 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2566257

User image

Expert
WA
wbayek - 2009-12-17 5:52 PM
Sounds fun to run on trails.  I'm thinking of doing some snow shoe jogs this winter, I know it's totally different than running but I'm just toying with different ideas to make it through the winter.  Does anyone do anything like that?

On my last long run the first 6.25 miles was on trails.  Another IronMan (IM) friend of mine said he does all his long runs on trials because it is easier on the joints and builds your stabilizer muscles.  It is certainly less impact.  I run both on and off trails for my runs so far.  When it snows I will use the treadmill and if there is a lot of snow I will do some X-country skiing also.
2009-12-18 7:36 PM
in reply to: #2566963

User image

Elite

RunRene - 2009-12-18 12:27 PM
wbayek - 2009-12-17 5:52 PM

On my last long run the first 6.25 miles was on trails.  Another IronMan (IM) friend of mine said he does all his long runs on trials because it is easier on the joints and builds your stabilizer muscles.  It is certainly less impact.  I run both on and off trails for my runs so far.  When it snows I will use the treadmill and if there is a lot of snow I will do some X-country skiing also.

Less impact, but more strenuous. Same effort (perceived exertion) requires a much slower pace. It is quite a bit easier on the joints, but it is easier to hurt yourself on trails. Roll your ankle, fall and bust your wrist or hip. Plus where I run trails there is a built in ice bath called the ocean.

2009-12-19 7:58 AM
in reply to: #2568023

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
aarondavidson - 2009-12-18 8:36 AM Plus where I run trails there is a built in ice bath called the ocean.

Now - that's hard core...there's already ice on the harbor here...brrr!

2009-12-19 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2568392

User image

NH
itsallrelative_Maine - 2009-12-19 8:58 AM
aarondavidson - 2009-12-18 8:36 AM Plus where I run trails there is a built in ice bath called the ocean.

Now - that's hard core...there's already ice on the harbor here...brrr!

The lakes/ponds are really starting to freeze over here as well.  Do you guys run in the trails through winter?  I don't know if I have the guts to go into the snow/ice.  It's hard enough for me to motivate to head out on the roads on a cold, windy afternoon like this one.
2009-12-19 5:23 PM
in reply to: #2568538

User image

Expert
WA
wbayek - 2009-12-18 8:18 PM
The lakes/ponds are really starting to freeze over here as well.  Do you guys run in the trails through winter?  I don't know if I have the guts to go into the snow/ice.  It's hard enough for me to motivate to head out on the roads on a cold, windy afternoon like this one.

I run on trails if they are dry or wet, but not if they are covered in snow.  I haven't run in the snow/ice due to slipping.  I did run on the road last year after it snowed, I slipped twice (on two different occasions) and caught myself before I hit the ground.
2009-12-20 1:21 AM
in reply to: #2569018

User image

NH
RunRene - 2009-12-19 6:23 PM

I run on trails if they are dry or wet, but not if they are covered in snow.  I haven't run in the snow/ice due to slipping.  I did run on the road last year after it snowed, I slipped twice (on two different occasions) and caught myself before I hit the ground.

Thanks, I think I'll do this and stay on the road until spring.  Can't wait to try some trails around here though.
2009-12-20 10:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
hope everyone had a great weekend! I can't wait to get back home so I can get on the bike and ride some and enjoy 2 weeks off!!!
2009-12-21 6:03 AM

User image

Elite

I am writing up a 'article' for you guys on recovery and how to maximize your ability to recover and train.

2009-12-21 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2570538

User image

NH
aarondavidson - 2009-12-21 7:03 AM

I am writing up a 'article' for you guys on recovery and how to maximize your ability to recover and train.

Thanks Aaron.  Recovery is my biggest concern, and the thing to which I probably give the least thought.
2009-12-21 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
I'm still "recovering" from 3 1/2 hours of shovelling snow yesterday.  Quite a storm we got here in the northeast.  With the holidays on top of us, I've slacked off a bit on my training, but plan to jump right back into more structured program in January. 

I'm in the process of laying out my training calendar for 2010, with my A-race being the Syracuse Ironman 70.3 in mid September.  I have a sprint and 2 Olympics leading up to that and will have lots of questions about building a solid base, tapering for races, recovery post-race, etc.  Have a great week everyone!
2009-12-21 5:35 PM
in reply to: #2571282

User image

NH
billsorg - 2009-12-21 1:28 PM I'm still "recovering" from 3 1/2 hours of shovelling snow yesterday.  Quite a storm we got here in the northeast.  With the holidays on top of us, I've slacked off a bit on my training, but plan to jump right back into more structured program in January. 

I'm in the process of laying out my training calendar for 2010, with my A-race being the Syracuse Ironman 70.3 in mid September.  I have a sprint and 2 Olympics leading up to that and will have lots of questions about building a solid base, tapering for races, recovery post-race, etc.  Have a great week everyone!

We got a remnant of that storm.  Snowblowers are the key to life!

We'll have to compare notes.  My A race is a mid September 70.3 in Maine, so we'll be training toward the same time frame.  I'm trying to focus on running this winter, with a half marathon in April to give me something to shoot for.

2009-12-21 8:44 PM

User image

Elite

Recovery:

The biggest thing you can do is sleep. Some of us have the ability to get 8-9hours of sleep a night and get a few naps each week. For others of us we get 6-7hours of sleep and dream of naps. Sleep is the greatest thing you can do for your body.

Following sleep the next best thing is post workout nutrition. You need to get some protein and carbs in after workouts. Immediately following is ideal, 5mins is great, within 30minutes is clutch. 1% chocolate milk is good because it contains the near ideal 4:1 protein to carb ratio.

Usefulness of the warm-up and cool-down. Warm-ups are good because they allow you to slowly increase your HR from rest and get your muscles 'warmed' up. A cool-down allows the same in reverse, instead of a hard stop you can gradually bring your body down.

Ice Baths: While they can be painful they can greatly decrease your recovery time and allow you to better utilize your allocated training time. Fill your bathtub with cold water, and slowly get in. Let your body adjust to the temperature. Dump one 5-pound bag of ice (or a few trays of ice) into the tub. The colder, the less time you need. Soaking in a tub filled with water and ice will help reduce inflammation of tissues and joints, relieve soreness, and speed up your recovery. The theory behind ice baths is related the fact that intense exercise actually causes microtrauma, or tiny tears in muscle fibers. This muscle damage not only stimulates muscle cell activity and helps repair the damage and strengthen the muscles. Constrict blood vessels and flush waste products, like lactic acid out.

Massages: Can help break up scar tissue, increase flexibility and stimulate blood flow. In theory a massage, "is an effective therapy for releasing muscle tension and restoring balance to the musculo-skeletal system. Received regularly this may help athletes prevent injuries, which might otherwise be caused by overuse. A constant build up of tension in the muscles from regular activity may lead to stresses on joints, ligaments, tendons, as well as the muscles themselves."

Compression: In therory compression socks and the like work in a similar fashion to an ice bath. Again there is science to back this up. No science to show that compression helps during training.

Elevation: After a workout, you can lay on the ground with your legs up in the air. This will constrict blood vessels. After a few minutes when you get back up 'new' blood with flow back into your legs and help flush lactic acid and other waste products out.

Stretching: Helps to reduce soreness by increasing flexibility. Muscle contract after hard use and create  that 'hard' feeling/look. Stretching helps to lengthen the muscles back out so that they can be fully utilized.

If you do get sick, it's your body's way of enforcing a moderated start and salvaging ego. The body is wise and by listening to it you are more likely to execute smartly. Above all listen to your body. Dial it back if you need to.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76