BT Development Mentor Program Archives » nevergivin's group (Closed) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2009-12-16 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2556071

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: nevergivin's group (Closed)
For me it's about a minute per mile difference for the same level of effort (being able to hold a conversation while I run). I think my stride is shorter on the treadmill.

2009-12-16 11:58 AM

Veteran
I want to say I run faster on the treadmill, but I've not went outside for a while.  Ive set my PR's in the 1,2,3 mi distances in the past month on the treadmill.  BUT i really just started running this year, so getting faster with more time should happen. I know for me, being able to set the pace on the treadmill is easy. Fall off the pace, Fall off the machine.  Now im excited to go outside and see if I can go faster.
2009-12-16 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2561344

User image

kelowna
Subject: RE: treadmill speed
ransick - 2009-12-15 8:50 PM

So when I run on a treadmill my speed is a lot slower for the same effort.  Everyone else have similar results?  I think my gait is shorter.

Mike

being a newbie to running... I couldn't actually figure this out, the very first time I went running (I use this term loosely right now) it was outside, the short sprints I was doing were much faster then on the treadmill.  Cold and Snow outside now so I am only on the treadmill.  But I have been able to improve other aspects of my running, even if I am not going as fast.   I am definitely looking forward to the spring and going outside.

Question: What are the thoughts on "running" on the elliptical to protect knees and ankle/feet?  Is this beneficial? or a good substitute while building endurance?

2009-12-16 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2562554

User image

Master
St. Louis
ThePassionDiva - 2009-12-16 1:04 PM
Question: What are the thoughts on "running" on the elliptical to protect knees and ankle/feet?  Is this beneficial? or a good substitute while building endurance?

My view is that anything that gets me moving and burns calories instead of sitting on the couch taking them in is a good thing.  I haven't used an ellipical, but my friends that have, lost more weight than me in a shorter time.   I think it is very helpful for cardio endurance.  I suspect there are differences in muscle endurance (using slightly different muscles), so there needs to be a muscle build up period prior to running long distance.

Edited by ransick 2009-12-16 2:24 PM
2009-12-16 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2559200

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
What do you like to do besides run, bike, and swim?
I teach and practice Karate twice a week.  I also love watching football, Sci-Fi movies, and good beer. 

Biggest triathlon fears?
Getting on my bike quickly without falling off and of course swimming in a crowd.  (One benefit of being so slow in the swim is at least I'm not in the middle of the throng of people.)  OWS in and of itself doesn't bother me.  In fact, I prefer it to the pool.
2009-12-16 1:43 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Question:  Should I go ahead and register for my first ever sprint race now or wait and see how this training thing works out?

I'm thinking both ways right now...Register now and that will be motivation for getting in shape - or - wait and see if I can even do this thing before registering and being a no-show.

2009-12-16 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2562680

Veteran
Question:  Should I go ahead and register for my first ever sprint race now or wait and see how this training thing works out?

I know I went ahead and signed up for my first one, telling my self there is no excuse to not be ready.  Somedays training is a little slow(last night) and makes me second guess, but told to many ppl im going to do it, to back out.
2009-12-16 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Panther - 2009-12-16 2:43 PM Question:  Should I go ahead and register for my first ever sprint race now or wait and see how this training thing works out?

I'm thinking both ways right now...Register now and that will be motivation for getting in shape - or - wait and see if I can even do this thing before registering and being a no-show.

I myself need to bite the bullet and register way early for a race and then train.  Otherwise, I won't do it.  But that's just how I roll.  That's what I did with Tinman (a HIM) coming up in June.
2009-12-16 4:31 PM

User image

Expert
my pool was still closed today.  Now the semester is over, and I won't have pool access until January 25th.  Bummer! 

I'm a little worried about how I'm going to get any training done in the next week or two (today is the last full day of school for the kids).  We have three Christmas's (my dad, my mom, and the in-laws) as well as a few days with my mom and my sister's family up in the snow.  I may have to log some snow sledding in my training log. Laughing
2009-12-16 4:32 PM

User image

Expert
Panther - 2009-12-16 11:43 AM Question:  Should I go ahead and register for my first ever sprint race now or wait and see how this training thing works out?

put your money down, and tell a bunch of people you are doing it!  Sometimes a little motivational pressure is just what you (well, me anyway) need.  You CAN do it.
2009-12-16 4:56 PM

Veteran

Going to drop my favorite quote of the year " If you think you can or you think you can't, your right."

Heck always being big and hating to run, I said I would NEVEr do a 5k. Now after my last 5k, i'm wanting to add some swimming and biking to that.  Make it out of the water, whats the worse after that, you need to pull over or walk some.  Honestly 6 months ago I wouldn't have wanted to do a tri, being scared everyone would laugh from start to finish.  Now I've seen most ppl doing tri's are very helpful and supportive.  Seems like most of this group is in the same boat.  I can't wait to hear everyones results this year!!!

2009-12-16 5:25 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Panther - 2009-12-16 11:43 AM Question:  Should I go ahead and register for my first ever sprint race now or wait and see how this training thing works out?

Signing up for your first race is motivating, or overwhelming depending on your position. I say either way you should be ok, waiting might give you more confidence. When registering just give yourself enough time to prepare , pick a reputable race, and pick a race that plays to your strengths and weaknesses(looking at the course,hills,heat, cold water,etc).
2009-12-16 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2562554

User image

Modesto, California
ThePassionDiva - 2009-12-16 11:04 AM

So when I run on a treadmill my speed is a lot slower for the same effort.  Everyone else have similar results?  I think my gait is shorter.

Mike

being a newbie to running... I couldn't actually figure this out, the very first time I went running (I use this term loosely right now) it was outside, the short sprints I was doing were much faster then on the treadmill.  Cold and Snow outside now so I am only on the treadmill.  But I have been able to improve other aspects of my running, even if I am not going as fast.   I am definitely looking forward to the spring and going outside.

Look at using the Elliptical as cross training, it does not fire the same muscles as running, it mimics cross country skiing. It is a good cross training exercise for cycling. I would use it as a substitute if you are injured or need variety.
2009-12-16 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2563244

User image

Modesto, California
bigr82 - 2009-12-16 2:56 PM

Going to drop my favorite quote of the year " If you think you can or you think you can't, your right."

Heck always being big and hating to run, I said I would NEVEr do a 5k. Now after my last 5k, i'm wanting to add some swimming and biking to that.  Make it out of the water, whats the worse after that, you need to pull over or walk some.  Honestly 6 months ago I wouldn't have wanted to do a tri, being scared everyone would laugh from start to finish.  Now I've seen most ppl doing tri's are very helpful and supportive.  Seems like most of this group is in the same boat.  I can't wait to hear everyones results this year!!!

Thats the best part of the group is when people start to race and hear about how much they have changed! I always try to get people amped during races, why not, Its not like Im making money doing this! Bike racing is a whole different world, if someone bites it and takes others out of the race, you will see nothing but fist pumping and cheering within the pack!
2009-12-16 5:49 PM

User image

Modesto, California

Here is some of my secrets to triathlon topics we will be discussing , feel free to add any as we are all part of the group. I will write a thread and post it Sunday nights so we all have a chance to read over it and toss it around during the week. I will lay it out in order so that everyone can take advantage of it during the next couple of months and save the strategy and racing for later.

Strength Training
Heart Rate Training
Swim Technique and Drills
Biking Technique and Drills
Running Technique and Drills
Mental Training
Nutrition
Efficiency
Bike Maintenance
Open Water Swimming
Race Strategy
Race Preperation/Performance
Transitions

Edited by nevergivin 2009-12-16 5:50 PM
2009-12-17 9:04 AM

User image

What else do i do?

I used to race rc cars (yeah super neardy) bu t i like to play drums as well. I like to Motorcycle as well but had to sell all of it for finacial reasons. Now i just try and concentrate on playing with my daughters. Oh and Xbox 360 but i have to limit that too

Most afraid of

To be honest...gaining weight! i lost so much so fast and now its harder to lose. Def my biggest struggle.

2009-12-17 9:07 AM

User image

Modesto, California
I wanted to make sure everyone is familiar with the monthly challenges that BT has.
Typically at the beginning of each month the forums get involved in challenges for
different events such as swimming,biking,running,weight loss,strength training,etc.
I have been involved in a ton of these and they are great to get to know others
with similiar goals. Some challenges will run for extended periods
like Jorges winter cycling challenge:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=186131&start=1

even though this challenge started a few months ago you can still pick up the workouts and do it on your own.
With challenges that have already started most will still give you an opportunity to get in, I try to check often because the start often. Here is a weight loss challenge I just finished:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=181672&start=1

this is a typical team or event challenge where you get in and they assign teams base on groups or events:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=189130&start=1

This one is about staying consistent with training getting pink days on your calander:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=185626&start=1

I highly recommend getting involved in these, they are a ton of fun and motivation!

Here is the guideline thread:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=105874&posts=8&start=1
2009-12-17 9:07 AM

User image

oh i nearly forgot...i put out a weekly podcast too, (mostly weekly) on Triathlons. YOu can get it on I tunes called milk the cow Triathlon
2009-12-17 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2563324

User image

kelowna
nevergivin - 2009-12-16 3:49 PM

Strength Training
Heart Rate Training
Swim Technique and Drills
Biking Technique and Drills
Running Technique and Drills
Mental Training
Nutrition
Efficiency
Bike Maintenance
Open Water Swimming
Race Strategy
Race Preperation/Performance
Transitions

I am very excited about these topics... I am eager to learn what everyone is doing that is getting results for them.

2009-12-17 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2564233

User image

Modesto, California
Milkthecowbaby - 2009-12-17 7:07 AM oh i nearly forgot...i put out a weekly podcast too, (mostly weekly) on Triathlons. YOu can get it on I tunes called milk the cow Triathlon

Wow Mike, Good stuff, my computer is muted, for not getting fired purposes, I will check these out-

http://milkthecowbaby.podbean.com/
2009-12-17 10:15 AM

User image

Since all my workouts are indoors for now, I like to listen to music will cycling. I found this site: http://motiontraxx.com/  really helps. The podcasts are free with registration (I just made up my info) . My favorites are episode 4 (140 BPM), episode 18 (interval workout for cardio machines) and episode 7 (130 BPM for longer workouts).

2009-12-17 5:02 PM

User image

Expert

The back of my left knee was super sore at the beginning of today's run (after a long run yesterday).  This got me thinking about stretching.  I typically do some static stretching after my runs, but nothing before.  I walk for about 3-5 minutes to warm up, then go right into my run.  After the run I walk another 3-5 minutes, then stretch my quads, hamstrings and calf muscles. 

I've also heard that it's not good to stretch a cold muscle, but it sure feels good to do some stretching in the evenings while hanging out watching TV.  Is this really a no-no? 

What's the conventional wisdom these days on how/when to stretch?

2009-12-17 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2565560

User image

Master
St. Louis
norcal_SAHD - 2009-12-17 5:02 PM

I'm not an expert but I stretch before.  I have an IT band issue on one knee and stretching helps.  I don't stretch after running but I know I should.
2009-12-17 9:07 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Crazy Brick?

I don't have a road bike or stationary trainer yet so I've been riding the bikes at my local Y (not spinners, just old fashioned grandma seat bikes).  I wanted to ride for an hour tonight but get bored (plus you aren't supposed to hog a machine more than 20-30 minutes).  So I biked 30 then ran 20 on a treadmill, biked another 30 then ran 10.  I'm assuming that is just as good as biking an hour in a row.

2009-12-17 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2565560

User image

Modesto, California
norcal_SAHD - 2009-12-17 3:02 PM

The back of my left knee was super sore at the beginning of today's run (after a long run yesterday).  This got me thinking about stretching.  I typically do some static stretching after my runs, but nothing before.  I walk for about 3-5 minutes to warm up, then go right into my run.  After the run I walk another 3-5 minutes, then stretch my quads, hamstrings and calf muscles. 

I've also heard that it's not good to stretch a cold muscle, but it sure feels good to do some stretching in the evenings while hanging out watching TV.  Is this really a no-no? 

Consistency, not so much to stretch the muscle but I try to increase my range of motion. I got injured last year this time from lack of warmup and lack of stretching. Do a good warmup, maybe include some stairs, running in place, etc.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » nevergivin's group (Closed) Rss Feed  

of 21