BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tripletmom01 mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-12-18 6:06 AM
in reply to: #2566033

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Subject: RE: tripletmom01 mentor group - CLOSED

treehugger - 2009-12-17 11:44 PM
dboy25 - 2009-12-17 1:50 PM I think my first race will be the Texas State Sprint Tri in April.  I should be ready by then to swim the 500m.  Luckily for me I'm to stubborn and hard headed to fail.  It's funny..........I can ride a bike and run for forever and a day but swimming kicks my you know what haha.  I'll get it done!!

Just keep at the swimming, and you WILL get it done! 

I agree... just keep working at it!!  It will come.

I did all back stroke  my first tri (NO LAUGHING)!!!

2009-12-18 6:14 AM
in reply to: #2557055

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

You guys are a quiet group!!

What do you want to talk about??!!

Did I mention I was in a tri movie..... http://www.distancedvd.com/

2009-12-18 6:52 AM
in reply to: #2566121

User image

North Chelmsford
tripletmom01 - 2009-12-18 7:14 AM

I'm going to use work as an excuse.  I work for Fedex, so for the next week or so, Im pretty much working every day.  So thats also my excuse for not actually starting my training till after Christmas.  of course after Christmas, I wont have any more excuses
2009-12-18 7:27 AM
in reply to: #2566121

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
tripletmom01 - 2009-12-18 6:14 AM

I'd be curious as to what everyone does for injury prevention? I generally find I can handle the swim, bike and run, but it's most often an injury that messes up my plans.

Tammy, how is the movie? I'm sure your work was Oscar-worthy, but how was the rest of it?
2009-12-18 7:29 AM
in reply to: #2566154

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
ttwest1999 - 2009-12-18 6:52 AM

tripletmom01 - 2009-12-18 7:14 AM

I'm going to use work as an excuse.  I work for Fedex, so for the next week or so, Im pretty much working every day.  So thats also my excuse for not actually starting my training till after Christmas.  of course after Christmas, I wont have any more excuses

After Christmas you need to suck it up and get yourself an avatar as well.... Mace got it done yesterday.
2009-12-18 8:19 AM

User image

New user
Tempe
My first race will be a metric century (62 miles) in January. http://www.pmbcaz.org/casagrande.html. This may be considered a little ambitious considering that I just got my bike 6 weeks ago but running endurance translates - right? In February, I am doing either the full or half Lost Dutchman Marathon (http://www.lostdutchmanmarathon.org/registration.htm) I was originally signed up for the half but I had my first true blow up last week at the Tucson Marathon and am feeling a need to rectify that situation. I am new to the terminology but I believe my first "A" race will be MY FIRST TRIATHLON which will be the Bartlett Lake Sprint Triathlon http://www.trifamilyracing.com/ on March 21st.

I don't know if anyone else is in the same situation but to go from "just running" (and seeing everything else as "just cross training" ) to starting to train for a triathlon can be very overwhelming! The beginner plans seem way too beginner as far as the bike/run goes but yet I'm just learning to swim. What I decided to do was take the "Intermediate Sprint" plan from Trinewbies.com, ignore the running (doing marathon mileage) and just try to work my way to the swim.

How is everyone else deciding how/when/why to schedule their training?

2009-12-18 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2566197

User image

New user
Tempe

If I get injured it's usually caused by me breaking one of the standard rules - increasing distance by more than 10% in one week, trying to pace my friends regardless of what I know my pace should be or disregarding the stuff that I know I need to make time for - stretching, foam rolling, and strenthening the muscles used for endurance. (there are also more fun things to do like massage ) When none of that works I know that I need to mix-it-up: change my stride, change my pace, change my shoes etc.

2009-12-18 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2566346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
kara82us - 2009-12-18 9:25 AM

If I get injured it's usually caused by me breaking one of the standard rules - increasing distance by more than 10% in one week, trying to pace my friends regardless of what I know my pace should be or disregarding the stuff that I know I need to make time for - stretching, foam rolling, and strenthening the muscles used for endurance. (there are also more fun things to do like massage ) When none of that works I know that I need to mix-it-up: change my stride, change my pace, change my shoes etc.

Don't overlook nutrition. Last year after my first marathon, my quads were sore for almost two months. I thought I needed to add more training, so I added swim and bike but to no avail. Then I started looking on nutrition, I started logging my meals in BT and found that my protein intake was much to low and I really thought I was consuming enough. Anyway, I increase protein and within two weeks my legs finally recovered.

I don't remember the saying is but "Nutrition is 80% of the training"
2009-12-18 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2566114

User image

Corpus Christi, TX
So yesterday I was able to swim 25m for the 1st time without stopping.  I did a total of 4 laps of actual swimming.  The competitive side of me thinks I'm ready to tryout for the Olympics but the smarter side of me knows I need to stick to the baby steps.  LOL  

Now that I am confident that I can do a few laps, should I work on drills to improve my stroke or should I just continue to do laps and build my confidence in the water? 

Right now the plan is to bike or run in the mornings (nothing crazy) and then hit the pool in the evenings for 1.5 hrs, 5 days a week.  Once the Christmas break is over and school starts again I plan on starting one of the programs on BT.  I'll be able to tailor it to my schedule once I get a feel for how my classes are.
2009-12-18 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2566837

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
If you're at 4 laps, I'd mostly work on getting comfortable in the water. If you're breathing in a relaxed manner, you should be able to do more than that pretty quickly - maybe slow, but you can do it.

Without having seen your stroke, it's a bit hard to figure out what drills you need to do, but in general, I think "catch-up" drill is really helpful for most people. Most new swimmers have their arms always opposite each other - if one is entering the water in front, the other is exiting in the back, or when one is up in the air, the other is down in the water. In reality, you should be gliding when your arm enters the water while your other arm is exiting the water and starting on the recovery. So start off just kicking, with your hands together in front of you. Then take one full stroke with one arm, and bring it all the way back to the front until your hand touches (catches up with) the other hand, again out in front of you. Once your hands touch, you can pull with the other arm, again waiting until your hands touch in front of you for the next pull. Once you've got the hang of that, you can start letting your pulls start a little bit before your recovering hand "catches up". You should always have that feel of leaving your hand out front of you when it enters the water - not just launching immediately into your pull.

Another good idea would be to get a kick board and work on kicking. Keep a small, fast kick, with your toes pointed and your legs close to straight. I've seen a lot of folks who are starting to swim who are taking massive flailing kicks with their legs, and it's both tiring them out and slowing them down. If you work on a small, quick flutter kick, you can implement that into your stroke.

Also, as a general comment, if you're planning on working that hard (1.5 hours 5 days a week) on swimming, try to track down a coach or swim instructor of some sort who can help you every once in a while. Ideally once a week or so for maybe 30 mins. Maybe post in the Texas forum in case someone knows of one? Once you get so you can swim consistently, you could look into joining a masters group. I can tell you from experience that it's a ton easier to stay interested and work hard if you're swimming with a group.

-Matt

Edited by MLJ 2009-12-18 11:55 AM
2009-12-18 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2567035

User image

MLJ - 2009-12-18 12:46 PM Also, as a general comment, if you're planning on working that hard (1.5 hours 5 days a week) on swimming, try to track down a coach or swim instructor of some sort who can help you every once in a while. Ideally once a week or so for maybe 30 mins. Maybe post in the Texas forum in case someone knows of one? Once you get so you can swim consistently, you could look into joining a masters group. I can tell you from experience that it's a ton easier to stay interested and work hard if you're swimming with a group. -Matt

x2 on this. If you're just starting out, it's better to learn good technique as you go instead of trying to go back and fix something later! If you have a local YMCA, they offer swim instruction and you usually don't have to be a member, although they charge non-members a little more.

2009-12-18 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2566197

User image

I'd be curious as to what everyone does for injury prevention? I generally find I can handle the swim, bike and run, but it's most often an injury that messes up my plans.

My injuries have all been from doing too much too soon too fast. I love running, and have a tendency to run too hard on my training runs (whee this is fun!), so that's been a big problem. I've found that running more frequently makes me less inclined to run too hard. Also, running shoes don't last very long, so pay attention to that. If you start feeling aches and pains after routine runs, check your shoes.
2009-12-18 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2567035

User image

Corpus Christi, TX
great advise MLJ........Thanks!!
2009-12-18 2:37 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Edited by tripletmom01 2009-12-18 4:05 PM
2009-12-19 7:39 PM

User image

Has anyone ever used compression socks or calf sleeves?

thanks,
mace
2009-12-19 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2569180

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

wanna race - 2009-12-19 7:39 PM Has anyone ever used compression socks or calf sleeves? thanks, mace

I use recovery tights and LOVE them.    I just got compression socks rigt before I got injured- so havent used them yet.

2009-12-19 8:22 PM
in reply to: #2566837

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

dboy25 - 2009-12-18 10:41 AM So yesterday I was able to swim 25m for the 1st time without stopping.  I did a total of 4 laps of actual swimming.  The competitive side of me thinks I'm ready to tryout for the Olympics but the smarter side of me knows I need to stick to the baby steps.  LOL  

Now that I am confident that I can do a few laps, should I work on drills to improve my stroke or should I just continue to do laps and build my confidence in the water? 

Right now the plan is to bike or run in the mornings (nothing crazy) and then hit the pool in the evenings for 1.5 hrs, 5 days a week.  Once the Christmas break is over and school starts again I plan on starting one of the programs on BT.  I'll be able to tailor it to my schedule once I get a feel for how my classes are.

First I think 1.5 hours a day 5 days a week is A LOT.  Ithink you hit the pool for 30-40 minutes 4 times a weeks is great and you wont get as sick of it as fast.

Id definitly try to get some one to at least look at your swim stroke... that way you know what to work on.  As I was wimming the other day I was thinking about the most common mistakes I personally see beginners make.

1- head postiton-  A lot of people have their head way too far above the water.... you shoudl almost be on a skewer your head, neck, back shouls all be aligned...dont pull your head out when you turn to breathe.

2- hand/arm entry..... I see a lot of people whos arms cross the centerline... your arms shoudl enter even with your shoulders.... my coach makes me swim at 10 and 2 ...when I exaggerate it I get them in the right position

3- follow thru.... make sure your stroke goes all the way thru the water....almost like you are putting something in your pocket

4- dropped elbows..... keep your elbows up during the pull phase... thsi is sort of hard for e to explain but it helped me a ton when I actually started doing this!

5- body rotation.... you need to get power from your core...twist the body almost so your belly button faces the wall ( again exagerrating gets you to the right spot)

Ok- thats your tips from Tammy for the day

2009-12-19 8:24 PM
in reply to: #2567242

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

treehugger - 2009-12-18 1:05 PM

My injuries have all been from doing too much too soon too fast. I love running, and have a tendency to run too hard on my training runs (whee this is fun!), so that's been a big problem. I've found that running more frequently makes me less inclined to run too hard. Also, running shoes don't last very long, so pay attention to that. If you start feeling aches and pains after routine runs, check your shoes.

I get injured when I add too much too fast or add too much speed work too fast.

ENJOY your Z2 easy training/runs...it will build endurance/ keep you from so many injuries and make ayou a faster/stronger runner in general.  I used to hate Z2 runs.... now I love them.  I am able to run much faster at a lower hr.

2009-12-19 10:19 PM
in reply to: #2569231

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
tripletmom01 - 2009-12-19 9:22 PM

• 1- head postiton-  A lot of people have their head way too far above the water.... you shoudl almost be on a skewer your head, neck, back shouls all be aligned...dont pull your head out when you turn to breathe.

2- hand/arm entry..... I see a lot of people whos arms cross the centerline... your arms shoudl enter even with your shoulders.... my coach makes me swim at 10 and 2 ...when I exaggerate it I get them in the right position

3- follow thru.... make sure your stroke goes all the way thru the water....almost like you are putting something in your pocket

4- dropped elbows..... keep your elbows up during the pull phase... thsi is sort of hard for e to explain but it helped me a ton when I actually started doing this!

5- body rotation.... you need to get power from your core...twist the body almost so your belly button faces the wall ( again exagerrating gets you to the right spot)

What about breathing out?

Most times I don't think about it cause I'm concentrating on form, but once in a while I'm wondering when is it best to exhale. Is it best to exhale while head is still down or as you rotate and are about to take a breath?
    2009-12-19 11:36 PM
    in reply to: #2569231

User image

Corpus Christi, TX
    tripletmom01 - 2009-12-19 8:22 PM

dboy25 - 2009-12-18 10:41 AM So yesterday I was able to swim 25m for the 1st time without stopping.  I did a total of 4 laps of actual swimming.  The competitive side of me thinks I'm ready to tryout for the Olympics but the smarter side of me knows I need to stick to the baby steps.  LOL  

First I think 1.5 hours a day 5 days a week is A LOT.  Ithink you hit the pool for 30-40 minutes 4 times a weeks is great and you wont get as sick of it as fast.

Id definitly try to get some one to at least look at your swim stroke... that way you know what to work on.  As I was wimming the other day I was thinking about the most common mistakes I personally see beginners make.

1- head postiton-  A lot of people have their head way too far above the water.... you shoudl almost be on a skewer your head, neck, back shouls all be aligned...dont pull your head out when you turn to breathe.

I know it seems like a lot but I don't spend the entire time swimming.  I spend about half the time resting because my endurance isn't all that great.  And that's a lot of stuff to keep in mind.  Looks like I still have a lot of work to do.
    2009-12-20 6:09 AM
    in reply to: #2569395

User image

Master
    West Bend, WI

dboy25 - 2009-12-19 11:36 PM
    tripletmom01 - 2009-12-19 8:22 PM

I know it seems like a lot but I don't spend the entire time swimming.  I spend about half the time resting because my endurance isn't all that great.  And that's a lot of stuff to keep in mind.  Looks like I still have a lot of work to do.

Just pick one a day or one a week to focus on

It takes like 10000 yds for something to become a habit (so I have heard)

2009-12-20 7:27 AM

User image

North Chelmsford
    So here is a question for everyone who currently races.  I'm trying to decide what I should do about a bike.  I used to be a fairly strong cyclist (20+ mph avg on rides), would it be beneficial to me to by an actual tri bike or save the money and buy a road bike?

Of course, living in Mass, its kind of a moot point right this exact second, as I look out the window at the 6 inches of snow sitting on my deck. 

Tim
    2009-12-20 7:27 AM

User image

North Chelmsford
    So here is a question for everyone who currently races.  I'm trying to decide what I should do about a bike.  I used to be a fairly strong cyclist (20+ mph avg on rides), would it be beneficial to me to by an actual tri bike or save the money and buy a road bike?

Of course, living in Mass, its kind of a moot point right this exact second, as I look out the window at the 6 inches of snow sitting on my deck. 

Tim
    2009-12-20 6:02 PM

I have the same issue. Just this weeked I went in to a local Tri store to check out some bikes...

Here are some pointers I was given to ask myself before I decide :

Have you raced before?

If you are going to stick with it & you are looking more towards long course races like HIM's and Full Ironman's a then save up and buy a tri bike.. they're not that different in price. However depending on how competitive you tend to be you should also consider the fact that ultimately it's the person behind the pedals and not the bike itself that's going to get you a better time.

Reality is if you're not going to place anyway you might as well save the cash and get clipon aero bars.. and put that money into your training for the upcoming years..

Where do you practice mostly? Urban or Rural area?

This makes a difference..
    Urban areas you need to to manuver more so a road bike might even be the safer choice.
    vs Tri-bike which can be a little hard to manuver.

In the end, it also tends to be a personal choice. If you're not convinced by this then go ahead and buy that bike your drooling about if I could I would..

My choice is Road bike for this year... even though trust me I really REAALLy want a Tri-bike .. eventually though... one day

Edited by zimzima 2009-12-20 6:03 PM
    2009-12-20 6:36 PM

User image

Master
    West Bend, WI

I think if you are seriousla bout tris Id get a tribike right away... you are going to wish you had one. 

If you are not serious about tris and just like to ride.... get a road bike.

But yes- it will be beneficial to have one for tris!

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tripletmom01 mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17