BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's Group- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2010-01-16 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2617532

Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's Group- FULL
mcgilmartin - 2010-01-16 4:35 PMNice, Jeff- good luck! And welcome to the wonderful world of Triathlon! Where are you doing a reverse tri @? That sounds interesting- I'd love to get the run over with first if I could.
As for the clothing, I'd say just wear the bike shorts over the tights for the run, then you'll do your reverse T1 faster. As this is your first race, don't sweat the little stuff! How are you going to swim in 40 degree weather? Is it a pool swim?
Shelbyville, KY is the location. It is indeed a pool swim. I guess I wasn't very clear. When I say tights, I mean running-type tights, not swimming. And I don't think I want to get naked as I transition from the bike to the swim So that's why I'm trying to figure out what to wear on the run/bike and still be ready for the swim.

2010-01-18 4:46 PM
in reply to: #2617806

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
OK, OK, I see what you're saying.  I'd recommend some Zoot multisport shorts as your baselayer- then the running tights over them. You can wear the tights on the run and bike, then rip them off quickly for the swim.  I think if you just google "Zoot sports shorts" you can find all sorts of deals.
2010-01-18 6:53 PM
in reply to: #2574223

Ok, I'm looking for any tips, advice, etc. to improve my running.  I've never been a strong runner.  Lately, I've been running on the treadmill and despise it.  Tonight I ventured out into the cold and got in a run outside.  Wasn't too bad, about 30 degrees tonight and the run felt great.  My problem with running is I can't seem to build up any endurance.  After just a couple of miles I start to fatigue and my times are pathetic (10 min. miles at best).  I ran several 5k's last year and only broke 30 minutes once and that was in the early spring.  Times actually increased as the summer progressed.  I don't want to go through that again this year. 

Oddly enough, tonight felt great after 2 miles, but I had to cut it short due to darkness.

Any advice on how to increase endurance and speed?  Intervals, long distances, speed drills???  I'm really hoping to get out of this slump...
Any tips or advice would be great!  Thanks.
2010-01-21 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2620552

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
2010-01-21 9:55 PM

User image

Matt - Great article.   Thanks for the feedback. Any recommendations for wet suits?

2010-01-24 6:05 PM
in reply to: #2628028

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
AMA168 - 2010-01-21 8:55 PMMatt - Great article.   Thanks for the feedback. Any recommendations for wet suits?

Thanks for the appreciation! I like when people ask this stuff... because it makes me do some research and learn things for myself, too! As you all may or may not know, I am not the worlds best runner- but I'm trying!

Anyway, on the wetsuit- I'd suggest going with something inexpensive for your first one. I originally picked my first one up @ a tri shop in Parker, CO- I think I spent $80 on it. Sleeveless Neosport- pretty bare bones, but it worked for me. Last year as I jumped up to 70.3 I finally invested in a decent one. I have the Xterra Vortex 3 with sleeves. This suit is wicked fast- the buoyancy is incredible. I want to say I paid about $250 or so for it? And it's worth every penny! Please keep asking away everyone! I hope all your training is going great!

2010-01-24 7:16 PM
in reply to: #2632123

Thanks for the article!  I finally had a chance to sit down and read it...Lots of good and useful information there....
2010-01-24 11:12 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
All, just saw this on Active.com. If you are on Facebook, I'd highly recommend becoming a fan of them. They put up fantastic articles every day. And they should given what they charge for registration fees:

http://tinyurl.com/yb7s7qh
2010-01-26 4:13 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
So just out of curiosity, why does everyone here do (or want to do) the sport of triathlon?  Is it the bragging rights, the staying in shape, the pure challenge, the social aspect?  I think it's more than fitness for me... I could ride my bike, swim, or run and have the same fitness.  I think I like the challenge aspect of turning your body into a machine.  The grueling training sessions are also good for dealing with life- and they are a nice escape from it!  Any other thoughts out there?
2010-01-26 4:24 PM
in reply to: #2635957

Veteran
Kirkcaldy
I did try in the early 80's but then switched to ultras.  After a bout of low iron I never seemed to get my fitness or motivation back so I tried duathlons and found that I really liked it.  with increasing dissatisfaction with my running and general fitness I decided to go back to tri watc this space lolol......
2010-01-26 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2635957

mcgilmartin - 2010-01-26 5:13 PM So just out of curiosity, why does everyone here do (or want to do) the sport of triathlon?  Is it the bragging rights, the staying in shape, the pure challenge, the social aspect?  I think it's more than fitness for me... I could ride my bike, swim, or run and have the same fitness.  I think I like the challenge aspect of turning your body into a machine.  The grueling training sessions are also good for dealing with life- and they are a nice escape from it!  Any other thoughts out there?

Several reasons here.  Just to say I did it; gives me another reason to get my butt off the couch; I have a friend who runs a tri-event company who wants me to do a few; have friends who are doing it; etc.

My first one is this Sunday--a supersprint.  I'm a little worried because the weather man says snow or maybe significant snow on Friday so I'm not sure what happens if the park roads aren't clear for Sunday morning.  The temp is supposed to be ok at race time though but I'm worried about trying to bike on a snowy/icy park road.  I guess I'll have my mountain bike tuned up just in case I need the extra traction.

2010-01-27 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Good luck Sunday, Jeff!  If it's snowing I'd suggest you ride a mountain bike.  Let us all know how it goes.  And put up a RR if you can- they're really good to go back and read again after a time... you'll learn a lot!
2010-02-01 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2636014

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
jeffjohnson9 - 2010-01-26 3:45 PM
mcgilmartin - 2010-01-26 5:13 PM So just out of curiosity, why does everyone here do (or want to do) the sport of triathlon?  Is it the bragging rights, the staying in shape, the pure challenge, the social aspect?  I think it's more than fitness for me... I could ride my bike, swim, or run and have the same fitness.  I think I like the challenge aspect of turning your body into a machine.  The grueling training sessions are also good for dealing with life- and they are a nice escape from it!  Any other thoughts out there?

Several reasons here.  Just to say I did it; gives me another reason to get my butt off the couch; I have a friend who runs a tri-event company who wants me to do a few; have friends who are doing it; etc.

My first one is this Sunday--a supersprint.  I'm a little worried because the weather man says snow or maybe significant snow on Friday so I'm not sure what happens if the park roads aren't clear for Sunday morning.  The temp is supposed to be ok at race time though but I'm worried about trying to bike on a snowy/icy park road.  I guess I'll have my mountain bike tuned up just in case I need the extra traction.

So Jeff, how did things go yesterday?  I remember my first race well.  I think I was more disappointed by how ill-prepared I was for it!  I learned a lot that day- you care to share with us? 
2010-02-01 9:44 AM

Good morning everyone.

Matt, I was actually just getting the official results of my biathlon (yes you read that right) before I wrote the report.

We had 5+ inches of snow and ice on Saturday morning so by Saturday evening, the organizers had torpedo'd the biking portion.  Unfortunately, I'm most comfortable on my bike but I decided to do what was in front of me.

Super cold morning.  It was 9 degrees at start time.  The transition was inside the building housing the 25 meter pool.  We ran first as to not be outside with wet hair, etc. in the cold.  The next one is the same, with us swimming last.

I'm not a fast runner and with the cold, it was brutal.  Wore my tri swimsuit with running tights over the top and wool socks.  On top, an under armour type undershirt, biking jersey and windbreaker and a knit hat on my head.  Was perfectly comfortable, temperature wise, but had to navigate several slick areas (I see now why we didn't bike).  

Back indoors, to strip off all that gear and hit the pool.  I think I was a little slow but the goal was to finish, not beat any particular time.  Since the pool was 25 meters, we had to circle swim 8 laps for a total of 16 25 meter laps.  My previous best, by self timing was 10:11 and I beat that so I was happy.  I was, however, surprised at how many people weren't paying attention at how to navigate the pool.  I ended up with several scratches on my hands from people backstroking and such right in the middle of the lane instead of hugging the sides.

Overall impressions:  fun as hell but harder than I thought.  Maybe the bike, at least for me, would have been a nice break in the middle as I can bike for days normally.  I assume it will also be a bit easier to transition without 26 pieces of clothing because it was 9 degrees.  The next one is February 21 and I'll be entering that one as well.  For the next one, the bike is 12 miles instead of the scheduled 6 for yesterday and the run is 5k. The order for that one is also run/bike/swim.

The distances and my times and all that:

Run:  3k (1.86 miles)  10:17 pace 18:30.4
Bike:  cancelled due to weather
Transition:  1:45.2
Swim:  400 meters 10:07.6
Total:  30:23.2

Last in my age group but I really don't care.  I also didn't finish last overall, which was a bonus  

Edited by jeffjohnson9 2010-02-01 9:46 AM
2010-02-01 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2647168

User image

Jeff - Congratulations on the biathlon. Keep up the good work and keep it fun!!!! Andy
2010-02-03 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2647168

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Nicely done, Jeff!  Sorry- I'm travelling for work and have been neglecting this.  I think you're pretty darn brave to sign up for a tri in January!  I do indoor ones to keep myself in shape, but beyond that I wouldn't consider doing one outdoors!  I really think your times were pretty decent considering this was your first race.  A 1:45 transition from run to swim is pretty darn good, too.  And as far as the swim- that type of behavior is all too common in the sport!  Just wait until you do a race with an OWS- talk about getting knocked around!  Regardless, congrats on the finish.  Did you enjoy yourself enough to do another one?

2010-02-03 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2652317

mcgilmartin - 2010-02-03 11:40 AM

Nicely done, Jeff!  Sorry- I'm travelling for work and have been neglecting this.  I think you're pretty darn brave to sign up for a tri in January!  I do indoor ones to keep myself in shape, but beyond that I wouldn't consider doing one outdoors!  I really think your times were pretty decent considering this was your first race.  A 1:45 transition from run to swim is pretty darn good, too.  And as far as the swim- that type of behavior is all too common in the sport!  Just wait until you do a race with an OWS- talk about getting knocked around!  Regardless, congrats on the finish.  Did you enjoy yourself enough to do another one?

Well Matt, as that certain shoe company says, just do it.  I wanted to try one and I knew I wouldn't get moving if I didn't sign up. Next one is February 21, same set up but 5K run and hopefully a 12 mile bike.  

I had a great time even though during my swim this morning, my left shoulder felt like it was going to fall off  
2010-02-21 4:39 PM

Matt and all.  I made it today! A real triathlon.

Race report to follow when I get the official results.

Jeff 
2010-02-21 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2684801

User image

Well done....The ice storms here in KS are starting to get real irritating!!!!  Looking forward to the RR.

Andy 

Edited by AMA168 2010-02-22 8:20 AM
2010-02-22 8:09 AM

Finally have official report from my first real triathlon. This one was run/bike/swim. 5K/20K/400m

Run: 33:09; 10:42 pace

T1: 1:32

Bike: 48:37; 14.8 mph average

T2: 1:53

Swim: 9:41

TOTAL: 1:34:54.9

We had temps in the mid-40s so I did it in shorts and long sleeves. Overall happy with my results but thought for sure I was faster on the bike.

Run had a couple killer hills and some leftover snowy slick spots so I can live with it. Not sure on the speed of the first transition as it was the first time I had to quickly get out of running shoes and into bike shoes and gear.

My bike average is officially listed at 14.8 MPH but I was certain I was moving much faster and my bike computer even said so. In any case, I passed about 10 people during the biking portion so felt good.

Transition 2 might have been the weirdest thing I've ever experienced. After 20k, and then immediately running for the pool, I was so wobbly. I'd read a bit about this phenomenon but hadn't ever experienced it myself. So it took me a few seconds to get some equilibrium before jumping into the pool.

Set a personal 400m best so tickled with that result. Still some craziness in the pool, just like last time. Had to actually go around a guy using the wrong side of the lane because he simply refused to get out of the way. Passed 2 swimmers as well so felt good.

I think my next goal, for this length tri, will be 90 minutes.

Next one in this series is March 28, and I plan on doing that one too.

Edited by jeffjohnson9 2010-02-22 8:16 AM
2010-02-22 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2685458

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Awesome, Jeff!!  Congrats on the PR in the pool!  I think it's kind of strange that they have you doing these races in reverse order- I'm guessing due to cold they are thinking of your health by not swimming first, then going outside to freeze and catch pneumonia.  Anyway, the wobbly feeling- was it your head or your legs just being tired?  What kind of nutrition are you taking in before and during the race?  Sounds like you could use some electrolytes and water.

2010-02-22 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2685043

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Andy, I saw your post about the campsite @ IMKS.  I'm staying at the Hampton Inn- I like a bed before and after a race!!!  I'll talk to you before then- but let's plan on hanging out Saturday out there!  Lot of the other BT peeps I know will be there- and we ALWAYS have a great time @ races.
2010-02-22 12:37 PM
in reply to: #2686052

mcgilmartin - 2010-02-22 12:48 PMAwesome, Jeff!!  Congrats on the PR in the pool!  I think it's kind of strange that they have you doing these races in reverse order- I'm guessing due to cold they are thinking of your health by not swimming first, then going outside to freeze and catch pneumonia.  Anyway, the wobbly feeling- was it your head or your legs just being tired?  What kind of nutrition are you taking in before and during the race?  Sounds like you could use some electrolytes and water.
That's correct Matt. I assume they don't want us running around wet when it's normally in the low 30s. The next one, late March, when it should be warmer, goes in normal order.The wobbly wasn't nutrition related as far as I can tell, it was mostly in my legs. I hadn't been on the bike much with our wicked snow and ice lately. I drank 1/2 liter of water with my banana for breakfast. I had some Heed during the run and then Gatorade during the bike so I think I was ok there.
2010-02-22 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2686184

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Sounds like you took the right steps nutrition-wise, Jeff.  I'd suggest some strength training for your legs and more time in the saddle!  I like your attitude- already looking forward to the next race!  Isn't this a great sport?
2010-02-23 9:06 PM
in reply to: #2686061

User image

Matt,
That sounds great. I was able to get my dad to bring down his motorhome so we will be down there on Friday night (with the kids) and Saturday.  Looking forward to the race....Looking forward to some warmer weather soon!!!
Andy
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's Group- FULL Rss Feed  

of 4