BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slidell4Life's Group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-12-30 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2583679

User image

Veteran
Longview
Subject: RE: Slidell4Life's Group - CLOSED for Training
krisko - 2009-12-30 8:39 AM How long will my tires/tubes last?  I'm doing roughly half my riding on a trainer, doesn't that break down the tire faster?  I'm putting in about 4 hours a week (60 miles?).

It depends on the tires but yes the trainer will eat up some tires, they do sell trainer specific tires that are thicker and tale longer to wear out.

2009-12-30 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2583395

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Slidell4Life's Group - OPEN
Laloosh - 2009-12-30 12:38 AM
Slidell4life - 2009-12-27 2:14 PMWelcome to the group, Josh. That Malibu tri always looked fun to me. Did you see any celebrities out there?
I'm glad you're a strong swimmer. I know lots of folks need lots of advice with that discipline. We can help ease you into a regular pattern of running. Does your 12 week plan currently have you running a lot? If so, how do you feel out there?

Thanks, Chad. The Malibu Tri was a lot of fun, but the parking situation there is a nightmare. And I think with the absence of Matteo and J-Lo this year, it was more like they had some "celebrities" competing.

In answer to your question about running, I'm following one of the free 16-week plans on this site, but with the holidays I basically just started with Week 5. I don't know what you'd consider "running a lot." The longest run on my schedule is a 39-minute session that doesn't happen until Week 10, and up to this point my longest run has been 20 minutes -- which ended up being just under 2 miles. So far my body hasn't hassled me too much, as I'm only running 2 days a week.

Do you think I need to add another day of running? Right now my 7-day cycle goes:Swim/Bike (short/short) - Off - Swim (long) - Run (short) - Bike (long) - Off - Run (long)

If your on a training plan then don't add any run days. You're usually safe adding bike rides or swims, but extra runs can disrupt recovery.
2009-12-30 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2575105

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
Right now I am using my training plan more as a guideline-I can't do the activities on the days they say because life has its demands. Also our pool is not open for lap on weekends. Mostly I am doing a bit more each day than the plan says and feeling fine. I have learned with age to listen to my body about rest etc so I do take days off as needed. I am trying not to over train-don't laugh too much as I just got back into serious training so I know my distances and times aren't very impressive, but want to do more than just finish. Any advice from you who have been training for a while?
2009-12-30 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2584125

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Artist - 2009-12-30 12:22 PM

Right now I am using my training plan more as a guideline-I can't do the activities on the days they say because life has its demands. Also our pool is not open for lap on weekends. Mostly I am doing a bit more each day than the plan says and feeling fine. I have learned with age to listen to my body about rest etc so I do take days off as needed. I am trying not to over train-don't laugh too much as I just got back into serious training so I know my distances and times aren't very impressive, but want to do more than just finish. Any advice from you who have been training for a while?

The biggest thing I learned so far is that the recovery days are just as important, if not MORE important than the tough training days. Giving your body that day or two to recover will have you improving much faster than if you were just plugging away at it day in and day out.  
2009-12-30 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2584448

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
Thanks for the plug-I worry when I want a recovery day that I am just being lazy even when I have other activities- Its nice to hear that it is an intergal part of the routing-not an easy way out of a work out
2009-12-31 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2584762

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
Happy New Years mentor group!  I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe night.

I have been sick the last couple of days but am planning on hitting it hard on New Years days.

Jeff

2009-12-31 11:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Happy New Year's everybody!  I wanted to get in 25 miles today but it rained again...so much for this drought Georgia was in.  I did get int Spinervals 15.0 (base builder) for 70 minutes so that's something.
2009-12-31 11:52 AM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
I need to run 3 today to get my first 100-mile month.

Happy New Year!

2009-12-31 1:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Happy New Year's Everyone!!

Does anyone have any winter-specific training in mind? I know I'm going to be logging plenty of running km's over the next few months.
2009-12-31 1:38 PM
in reply to: #2586641

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
krystyna47 - 2009-12-31 11:37 AM Happy New Year's Everyone!!

Does anyone have any winter-specific training in mind? I know I'm going to be logging plenty of running km's over the next few months.

Running more is my usual winter focus. This year, it's causing me some lower leg aggravation, so I may opt for a bit more balance.
2009-12-31 2:04 PM

User image

Regular
Dallas
Happy New Year everybody. Hope everyone is have a good one!

2009-12-31 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2586641

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
I don't know how close you are to snow, but x-country skiing is a good winter excersise to suppliment the running-you can really get some good cardio in and it works everything and helps your stride by forcing you to use your arms in rhythm
2009-12-31 3:53 PM

User image

Regular
Valencia, CA
OK, it's official ... I just registered for my first tri: the Toyota Desert Sprint in La Quinta, CA on 3/7/10!

I also added everyone in the group to my "Friends" list so you all can see my training log. The fact that everyone can see it should be motivation enough for me to get out there and train, even when I'd rather sit at home watching TV!

2009-12-31 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2586868

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Laloosh - 2009-12-31 1:53 PM OK, it's official ... I just registered for my first tri: the Toyota Desert Sprint in La Quinta, CA on 3/7/10!

I also added everyone in the group to my "Friends" list so you all can see my training log. The fact that everyone can see it should be motivation enough for me to get out there and train, even when I'd rather sit at home watching TV!

That's great, Josh! We'll get you there. Are you on a plan?

2009-12-31 4:43 PM
in reply to: #2586877

User image

Regular
Valencia, CA
Slidell4life - 2009-12-31 1:57 PM
Laloosh - 2009-12-31 1:53 PM OK, it's official ... I just registered for my first tri: the Toyota Desert Sprint in La Quinta, CA on 3/7/10!

Yeah, Chad, I'm trying to follow the 2X Balanced 16-week plan, but the holidays have sort of screwed that up. But now that things are back to "normal," I'm planning to stick with it the rest of the way.

2009-12-31 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2586946

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Laloosh - 2009-12-31 2:43 PM
Slidell4life - 2009-12-31 1:57 PM

Yeah, Chad, I'm trying to follow the 2X Balanced 16-week plan, but the holidays have sort of screwed that up. But now that things are back to "normal," I'm planning to stick with it the rest of the way.

those free bt plans are great. They got me through my first 70.3 in the fall.

2010-01-01 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Did my first 'double' in months....P90X chest/back with a 5K run an hour later.  It's the first run in a month and I'm surprised it was so easy.  All the biking has helped me to retain my aerobic fitness.  I stretched after the run, but I still expect a good bit of pain tomorrow.  I'm signed up for a 10K in 2 weeks and a half mary in 10 weeks, so it's time to get out there.  It's weird, I enjoy running while I'm doing it but I can't get motivated to get out there unless I've got a race to train for.

Is there a way to put a training plan into the training log?  I didn't see a way to do it, otherwise I'll have to write it down in a training plan.  I'm doing the Olympic 16 week 2X Balanced but I'll need to change the workouts up quite a bit to fit into my work schedule.

Edited by krisko 2010-01-01 12:54 PM
2010-01-01 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2587753

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
krisko - 2010-01-01 11:47 AM Did my first 'double' in months....P90X chest/back with a 5K run an hour later.  It's the first run in a month and I'm surprised it was so easy.  All the biking has helped me to retain my aerobic fitness.  I stretched after the run, but I still expect a good bit of pain tomorrow.  I'm signed up for a 10K in 2 weeks and a half mary in 10 weeks, so it's time to get out there.  It's weird, I enjoy running while I'm doing it but I can't get motivated to get out there unless I've got a race to train for.

Is there a way to put a training plan into the training log?  I didn't see a way to do it, otherwise I'll have to write it down in a training plan.  I'm doing the Olympic 16 week 2X Balanced but I'll need to change the workouts up quite a bit to fit into my work schedule.

Way to start the new year off on the right track!  That P90X Chest/back workout is a killer too .. pullups..pushups..pullups...pushups ...repeat .... agghh!

I am the same way with motivation and having a race to train for.  Always need that carrot in front of me. 

As for the BT plans, you can import them to your logs but you need to have at least a bronze membership.  Otherwise they are only available in print format.  I am doing the Beginner 1/2 IM 20 week plan and imported it to my logs.  So far it has been a great tool and has really made it easy to stay organized and track my workouts.  You can also go into the "planned calender" and make changes to fit your schedule.  I have some travel coming up for work this month and I was able to maneuver the schedule around those travel days so now I won't have to stress about how I am going to get my workouts in.   I hope that helps!

Now if I could just figure out how to get rid of this darn head cold and stomach bug!
2010-01-02 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2579145

Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Slidell4Life's Group - OPEN
I'm looking at a couple of running events and a tri event around this area.
2010-01-02 5:37 PM

User image

Regular
Valencia, CA
OK, now that I've registered for my first tri, I have a few questions for you seasoned vets:

1) Do I need a wetsuit? The average high/low in La Quinta in March is 80/50 but I have no idea what the water temperature of Cahuilla Lake is.

2) What should I wear?  I have some padded cycling shorts, but I don't know if I can wear those for the swim. I've seen references to tri-specific suits that can be worn for all 3 events, but I don't know if I'm at that point in my tri career yet. 

3) With regard to #2, do some people actually change clothes in transition?

4) Thinking back to YOUR first tri, what's one thing you wish you had had with you or wish you had done differently? 

I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I wanted to get some feedback before I start thinking about where and how I need to spend what little $ I have to "invest."

Thanks, everyone! 
2010-01-02 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2589694

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Laloosh - 2010-01-02 6:37 PM OK, now that I've registered for my first tri, I have a few questions for you seasoned vets:

1) Do I need a wetsuit? The average high/low in La Quinta in March is 80/50 but I have no idea what the water temperature of Cahuilla Lake is.

2) What should I wear?  I have some padded cycling shorts, but I don't know if I can wear those for the swim. I've seen references to tri-specific suits that can be worn for all 3 events, but I don't know if I'm at that point in my tri career yet. 

4) Thinking back to YOUR first tri, what's one thing you wish you had had with you or wish you had done differently? 

I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I wanted to get some feedback before I start thinking about where and how I need to spend what little $ I have to "invest."

Thanks, everyone! 

Hmmm... Some good questions.

1) I went into my first tri absolutely blind, and I live in Montreal so I wish I had had a wetsuit (in fact, I was shivering the entire time I was on the bike afterwards, I was so cold). So, if they say if wetsuits are legal for the race, I'd wear one. Now, that doesn't mean you have to buy one! You can rent, and I think I'd do that for at least the first race. Then you can decide if you want to invest in buying.  

2) For distances that are HIM and shorter, no one really full out changes. They are usually wearing what they'd wear for the entire race. A tri suit is generally worn. They don't have to be a one-piece, though! You can get tri-shorts, which are not as padded and are more quick-dry than regular cycling shorts. You don't want to wear regular cycling shorts because your butt will be damp/full on WET the entire ride. As well, there are tri-tops, that can be worn under a wetsuit and stay on for the rest of the race. I personally have a one-piece tri suit. I love it, it fits perfectly, but I think the tri top and short combo are probably more practical. You're more likely to wear them outside of the race context!

3) People only really start changing at IM distance. Before that, at HIM distance, they *might* change socks but otherwise there's no real changing.

4) I wish wish wish I had a wetsuit because the water was FREEZING. But if that's not the case for you, then it's not a priority. Otherwise, just make sure you have comfortable sport clothing on you that won't stay waterlogged after the swim, and you'll be a happy camper. On top of that, try the clothing in training before hand. Don't "save" it for the race. You want everything used and comfy!

What does everyone else think? 

2010-01-02 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2589974

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
The scofield race actually requires wet suts. Most wear long sleeve ones-I was wondering what I should wear underneath it. What is a tri suit? is it expensive. I have checked out the atricle here on the wet siut info on first time Tri questions and that has helped and I think I might buy since then I can practice in open water before the day. It is a hour dive over the mountain just to the rental place so renting for several weekends might end up costing me in tme and $$ anyway.
2010-01-03 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX

Laloosh - 2010-01-02 5:37 PM OK, now that I've registered for my first tri, I have a few questions for you seasoned vets:

Thanks, everyone! 

Josh,

As to what to wear, here is what Tri shorts are: http://www.onetri.com/mens-clothing-shorts-c-4_6.html   -- some are on clearance right now so it is a good time to buy.  I got a pair from this site: http://www.aevero.com/xcart/home.php?cat=1 , but for some reason they are out of stock, keep checking back because they are good shorts and were on $29!

Here is what a Tri top is: http://www.onetri.com/mens-clothing-tops-c-4_9.html , I personally like the 2XU brand, but all of these are quality name brands. 

Also, onetri.com has a 10% discount if you use a BT code ... I have been looking for it and cannot find it.  But if you see the onetri.com ad it has the code on it?  I have used it and it works so take a minute and jump around the BT site and find the ad.

Josh, for my first Tri I wore a pair of Tri Shorts and no shirt for the swim.  At T1 I toweled off and put on a cycling jersey with the Tri Shorts and at T2 I just changed shoes and ran in the cycling jersey.  It would have saved a minute or two to have a Tri top but for my first Tri I didn't really care about time!

Terry,

As for wetsuits here is a good, affordable  brand: http://www.onetri.com/mens-clothing-tops-c-4_9.html,  the Vortex Sleeveless 3 will drop down to $99 a bunch of times during the year.  But, as said above, you might be better of renting one!

2010-01-03 8:48 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Laloosh - 2010-01-02 3:37 PMOK, now that I've registered for my first tri, I have a few questions for you seasoned vets:

Thanks, everyone! 
Josh, again congrats on registering for your first race. You're in for a lot of fun. Get your self some tri shorts. Be sure to avoid chlorine with them, though. That's the thing I wish I knew. I swam twice a week in my tri shorts and they went see through after 3 months. Now I only wear them in the lake or in the pool only on race day. Otherwise, we can help you get readyy to race. Spend one day practicing transition. That really will help calm you down on race day.
2010-01-04 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2591545

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
Its just good practice to rinse off anything you wear in chlorine in cold tap water as soon as you get out of the pool. Makes you swim suit last longer too.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slidell4Life's Group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 19