BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Famelec Brian's Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2010-01-03 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2590553

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Subject: RE: Famelec Brian's Mentor Group - FULL
chale - 2010-01-03 10:40 AM
Brian, Happy New Year. My half marathon went better than expected, I ran it in 1hr48 which I was very happy with, despite not being able to walk for a few days after due to my lack of training. I have learnt that lesson, and will have a much more structured training regime this time. I am targeting a sprint triathlon at the end of May, and start training tomorrow with a steady run. I found a 10 week training schedule for beginner triathletes to get me upto speed before I push on a little harder.

Do you have many events lined up this year? Do you train daily?

I have started an altitude simulation business, which is a very useful training aid itself, whilst studying a part time masters in Business studies.

Did I read that you have spent a bit of time in Seattle? I coached soccer out there for a couple of summers.

Chris

Your altitude similation business sounds interesting!  You should tell us more.  I'm finally getting around to reading Floyd Landis' book about how he didn't take drugs during the Tour de France (I'm not sure what to believe), it he says he build his own altitude tent a number of years ago that apparently still works!

I pretty much will be working out everyday from now through May.  In my case I schedule training daily, knowing that on occasion (and sometimes frequently) life commitments will conflict with training so that's how I get full rest days.  In many cases I'm getting almost 24 hours between workouts so I figure that's plenty of rest!  I try to never miss a run workout since that always seems harder to get back into running than swimming or biking.  I definitely couldn't handle this kind of training volume a few years ago, though.

Seattle is a great city.  I always say I'll be going back one day but it hasn't happened yet!

Brian

2010-01-03 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2577093

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

I got my first flat tire of the year today!  I seem to get more flats than most others, probably due to the roads around here

If you don't know how to fix a flat you should learn.  Practicing at home is good since you don't want your first tire change to happen on the road!

Here's a good video on how to do it.

Brian 

2010-01-03 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
Hi All ! Happy New Year !

Its great to see were full now and to read through everyones posts ! this is going to be a real help I recon !

My official training starts tomorrow after some rather unorganised training in december. I need to tell my rugby team i am not available each week from now on as i dont want to pick up any injurues.

I have today purchased the Forerunner 310xt which is going to be added motivation to get out and pound the roads. When it comes i will let u all know what i think of it.

Swimming is my weakness so my plan for the first few weeks is to rack up as many lengths cat my local pool in as possible. tommorrow will set the benchmark to work from.  I will let u know how it goes !

T
2010-01-03 6:01 PM

New user

Solvang california
Happy new year, and thanks quincyf for the backing me up regarding the shunning I got from the cycling group. I am kind of a do-over in the aerobic capacity, I had hysterctomy at the end of summer . I had zero recovery time --the timing just before school started could not be helped and I jumped back to work way too soon--as a school nurse ---the Swine Flu Epidemic kind of ate up my energy levels until now. In fact I started the BT training program for "Beginner exerecisers" it is actually a little too low of a challenge, but it is a schedule of strength training and indoor cycling and that fits perfect with our new garage tricked out with weights, a kickboxing bag and a spin bikeLaughing The weather is perfect outside but with three young daughters this eliminates the excuses moms come up with  about leaving the house for workouts. My husband and I can go for longer rides on the weekends, and he plays basketball 3 mornings a week before work (not into the triathlon thing).  The downside of in-home training is they are finding it entertaining to stand over me while I'm doing CRUNCHES. I need to barricade the door.
2010-01-04 10:15 AM

User image

I bought a swim video by Total Immersion and started to watch it last night after dinner.  Not sure if the food did me in or the video, but I found myself nodding off after about 15 minutes.  Taking a recovery day Tuesday.  My spin class this morning showed true signs that I need it.  I actually think I started noticing I was completely cashed yesterday, but decided to go "just one more day".  Yeah - lesson learned.

I posted a recipe in my training log (blog) for those interested.  It is a scallop recipe with anchovies.  I am sure you can omit the anchovies if you don't like them.  I honestly don't taste them in this recipe.

Have a great work out!

Deb

2010-01-04 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hi everyone,

Thanks Brian for the inspire...it's kinda corny how much I enjoy them...DD went back to school today but I am still feeling pretty low physically. It's almost comical to contemplate a workout, but DH kind of got on my case about it...he's right, I'll feel better if I just go and DO something, ANYTHING!

My big news is that since I've been religiously trolling for helmets and HRM's I did the logical thing and bought....a bike trailer for the kids! I hadn't planned on it, but a great deal popped up on Craigslist yesterday so I pounced on it (gotta move fast on good craigslist deals in Chicago). It is convertible to a jogger. This may not make sense to those of you w/o children, but having the ability to work out with them is the ONLY way to train halfway seriously. Plus after all that weight and drama, when you don't have them, it's a BREEZE! I am very excited. And Kirsten, not only do my kids stand over me (or in the baby's case crawl on me) but I have two stupid pugs who like to stick their nose in my face and snort...makes core workouts at home nearly impossible. EVERYONE's got to be in Mommy's business!

T-I am jealous of your 310xt purchase...I am looking for a used HRM but I dont' think I am going to find one of those...I missed out on a used 305 yesterday so I am hoping another one pops up! Jimi, do you use a 305?

Chris Hale-I too am intrigued by this "high altitude" business you have. Do you have a website?

Deb- I was thinking about posting recipes too, since I have a lot from my first massive weight loss effort two years ago...reworking how I ate then helped me lose the baby weight sanely this year. And I LOVE anchovies, yum! Good idea.

And just in general, does it seem like EBay is not such a good deal anymore? The prices are pretty close to retail, at least here in the US...saw some good stuff in the UK, you guys over there should check it out.

Best Regards to you all,
Q

2010-01-04 4:03 PM

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
Hi All,

Just thought u might find my funny story of buying the Forerunner 310xt , i said to my wife on Sunday we need to go to Argos (national store chain) and buy a new watch i can wear in the pool, just a casio for £10 with a stop watch,

so Kirsty says ok i will get my coat, in that 5 mins  my googles had led me to gps watches and found the Forerunner 305 for £140 on amazon and was very very impressed with the idea of logging/recording my workouts and anasysing etc, racing against myself etc, so i had to stall the trip out, i then googled gps triathlon and found the 310xt for £260 on amazon, erm.... slightly more than my £10 budget ! so a few you tube videos and i am sold and in the space of 30 mins i had gone from a £10 casio to a £260 gps watch and spending my hopeful bonus. 

So a trip to the supermarket to take my mind off this glorious device and whilst picking out the broccoli  i convince myself and kirsty that this watch is the only luxury i need this year (362 days left!) and we rush home to pace my order !

So the moral of the story here, humm.. dont let me near google and my wallet !!

Anyway a little tip i learned yesterday, if you see something on amazon that is not actually sold by amazon but a third party trader, google that company and see if they have a website or ebay shop as the watch was £259 on amazon and only £240 on their own website, so i bought it direct and saved £20. They had an ebay shop but the watch was not on there but useful to know for future reference.

(Hey Hey Mr Postman !! lol !)

T
2010-01-04 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2593366

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Tiesim - 2010-01-04 4:03 PM Hi All,

Just thought u might find my funny story of buying the Forerunner 310xt , i said to my wife on Sunday we need to go to Argos (national store chain) and buy a new watch i can wear in the pool, just a casio for £10 with a stop watch,

so Kirsty says ok i will get my coat, in that 5 mins  my googles had led me to gps watches and found the Forerunner 305 for £140 on amazon and was very very impressed with the idea of logging/recording my workouts and anasysing etc, racing against myself etc, so i had to stall the trip out, i then googled gps triathlon and found the 310xt for £260 on amazon, erm.... slightly more than my £10 budget ! so a few you tube videos and i am sold and in the space of 30 mins i had gone from a £10 casio to a £260 gps watch and spending my hopeful bonus. 

So a trip to the supermarket to take my mind off this glorious device and whilst picking out the broccoli  i convince myself and kirsty that this watch is the only luxury i need this year (362 days left!) and we rush home to pace my order !

So the moral of the story here, humm.. dont let me near google and my wallet !!

Anyway a little tip i learned yesterday, if you see something on amazon that is not actually sold by amazon but a third party trader, google that company and see if they have a website or ebay shop as the watch was £259 on amazon and only £240 on their own website, so i bought it direct and saved £20. They had an ebay shop but the watch was not on there but useful to know for future reference.

(Hey Hey Mr Postman !! lol !)

T

James came up with a great way to budget for triathlon stuff.  The more he works out the more he puts aside for his new bike!  

Swim: $1 for every 1000 yards

Bike: $1 for every 4 miles

Run: $1 for every 1 mile

2010-01-04 10:04 PM

New user

Seattle
Epps, need to catch up on the board, been busy though, went to a conference in eugene for three days got back cleaned house, and started school again today (i am a college student). found time to maintain my oly plan though. having a good time and enjoying the workouts... ravenous though!
2010-01-04 11:04 PM

New user

Solvang california
I just figured out how to add the team onto my "friends" section ,  I am about to have my second grader come in here and set up my training log, but tomorrow is her first day back to school after the holidays. I am also being a little tentative about starting too aggressively with training and will not start adding running for at least another month, but this is the first year I have started a base. My 2010 goals:

Instead of the all women's sprint, be ready for the Long Course Santa Barbara Triathlon by August.
I have done over a mile in ocean swims during summer workouts, it is actually the run I am most concerned about so I am working hard on my aerobic base with my spin bike.

Definitely have weight to lose, BMI is currently on the shaded area of overweight/bordering obesity.

I plan to turn to my early evening workouts for stress relief rather than a second glass of wine while I am cooking dinner. Delegating more of the dinner prep duties to my 7th grade daughter while I workout in my garage or take a bike ride .-- Quincy it sounds like a few of us are on the weightloss track so would love any recipes you throw our way. 
2010-01-05 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2590849

Well, basically..... I got to know a guy who worked in New Zealand for a few years and developed a ground breaking altitude simulation product whilst he was over there, so have set up my own business here in the UK with it. The website is www.just-breathe.com it is unique because it adapts individually to each person that uses it. Over here we have some premier league soccer teams using it, and I know quite a few triathletes use it in NZ. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I have personally found loads of health benefits through using it, and the sporting benefits are renowned.

I love the thought of you guys putting some recipes on here, as my diet is something I am really looking at working on and love to cook, so please send any my way. :-)

Brian, your right Seattle is a lovely city, and the surrounding area is spectacular! Where abouts do you live now?

ABR - nice to see you have some lovely weather, it is the opposite story here. It has put 7inches of snow down in the last 8 hours. The city seems to have come to a halt.

Anyway, my training has begun at an easy intensity until I get into the swing of things. I always find starting the hardest though!

2010-01-05 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2595072

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
chale - 2010-01-05 11:01 AM

Well, basically..... I got to know a guy who worked in New Zealand for a few years and developed a ground breaking altitude simulation product whilst he was over there, so have set up my own business here in the UK with it. The website is www.just-breathe.com it is unique because it adapts individually to each person that uses it. Over here we have some premier league soccer teams using it, and I know quite a few triathletes use it in NZ. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I have personally found loads of health benefits through using it, and the sporting benefits are renowned.

I love the thought of you guys putting some recipes on here, as my diet is something I am really looking at working on and love to cook, so please send any my way. :-)

Brian, your right Seattle is a lovely city, and the surrounding area is spectacular! Where abouts do you live now?

ABR - nice to see you have some lovely weather, it is the opposite story here. It has put 7inches of snow down in the last 8 hours. The city seems to have come to a halt.

Anyway, my training has begun at an easy intensity until I get into the swing of things. I always find starting the hardest though!

Looks interesting!

Do you rent them, sell them, or do you have to go to a location to use them?

Also, if anyone has ridden in 25ºf weather, give me some tips.  I've never ridden below 40ºf.  This weekend looks like it will be the coldest in a decade, but at least it will be sunny!    I'm mainly worried about my fingers and toes....  I'll likely chicken out a break out the trainer I haven't used in almost two years.  Last year I did a run in humid 100º weather with direct sun, just to see what it would be like.  The only thing I learned was not to do it again!

Brian

Edited by famelec 2010-01-05 3:36 PM
2010-01-06 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2595927

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
br />Do you rent them, sell them, or do you have to go to a location to use them?

Also, if anyone has ridden in 25ºf weather, give me some tips.  I've never ridden below 40ºf.  This weekend looks like it will be the coldest in a decade, but at least it will be sunny!    I'm mainly worried about my fingers and toes....  I'll likely chicken out a break out the trainer I haven't used in almost two years.  Last year I did a run in humid 100º weather with direct sun, just to see what it would be like.  The only thing I learned was not to do it again!

Brian

I haven't done it yet, but I have heard of guys putting plastic bags on their feet under their socks...
2010-01-07 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2598771

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
quincyf - 2010-01-06 4:36 PM br />Do you rent them, sell them, or do you have to go to a location to use them?

Brian
I haven't done it yet, but I have heard of guys putting plastic bags on their feet under their socks...[/QUOTE]

I'll try it this weekend!  I've been taking it easy this week since I have a minor cold and am trying not to make it worse.  But I expect to be OK for Saturday.  It should be 35 and sunny by the time we get started....,

Brian 
2010-01-07 10:18 PM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
I've ridden in some pretty cold weather.  The thing you need to watch is your hands.  I wore layers on everything else but just my regular, fingerless, riding gloves (stupid, right?).  I hardly made it down the street before I had to turn around because my fingers were so cold. 

If it gets pretty cold on a regular basis, I'd suggest looking into an indoor trainer.  You don't get the cheapest but you don't necessarily need the most expensive.  I have a CycleOps and it was around $200, I think.  Just something to keep your legs moving on days it's not feasible to ride outside.  The windchill was -3 here today.  No way I was riding outside, lol. 
2010-01-07 10:26 PM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
Subject: Nutrition Q's
Hey guys,

My degree is in nutrition with an emphasis in exercise science.  I by no means know everything there is to know about sports nutrition but I know a bit so if you have some questions about nutrition feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.  If there are some general subjects you want to know about, I can elaborate on things like why complex carbohydrates are better for you, types of fat, different fuel systems at different intensities, etc.  You can reply on here or shoot me a message. 

Good luck with your training.

Caleb

2010-01-08 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2602035

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: Nutrition Q's
cspreiter - 2010-01-07 10:26 PM

Hey guys,

My degree is in nutrition with an emphasis in exercise science.  I by no means know everything there is to know about sports nutrition but I know a bit so if you have some questions about nutrition feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.  If there are some general subjects you want to know about, I can elaborate on things like why complex carbohydrates are better for you, types of fat, different fuel systems at different intensities, etc.  You can reply on here or shoot me a message. 

Good luck with your training.

Caleb

Caleb, this is awesome news! I have a quick question for you! I have used Weight Watchers in the past and am pretty disciplined about eating "clean." I can lose these last 10 lbs :-) but I was wondering if the composition of your diet matters when trying to lose body fat while keeping your muscle mass. For instance, it is easy for me to go almost completely without meat when I am dieting. But if I eat a super low fat diet and end up eating a ton of carbs and not a lot of protein will this put me in jeopardy of losing muscle mass...i.e. I end up lighter but at a sacrifice of the muscles I need? I already have determined that WW penalizes "good fat" foods too severely so I am using the Daily Plate to track calories instead, and I have noticed I eat a lot of carbs, maybe too many for my body fat loss goal? Or is straight calorie restriction the most important thing I can do?

Thanks!
Q
2010-01-08 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2602360

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Nutrition Q's
Caleb, this is awesome news! I have a quick question for you! I have used Weight Watchers in the past and am pretty disciplined about eating "clean." I can lose these last 10 lbs :-) but I was wondering if the composition of your diet matters when trying to lose body fat while keeping your muscle mass. For instance, it is easy for me to go almost completely without meat when I am dieting. But if I eat a super low fat diet and end up eating a ton of carbs and not a lot of protein will this put me in jeopardy of losing muscle mass...i.e. I end up lighter but at a sacrifice of the muscles I need? I already have determined that WW penalizes "good fat" foods too severely so I am using the Daily Plate to track calories instead, and I have noticed I eat a lot of carbs, maybe too many for my body fat loss goal? Or is straight calorie restriction the most important thing I can do? Thanks! Q

Good question.  You run into a couple things with diet composition and sports.  First, the general consensus on diet composition is your calorie intake should be broken down to 60% from carbohydrates (CHO), 25-30% from fat, and 10-15% from protein so you might compare your CHO intake with those percentages and see how it measures up. For endurance athletes, the CHO intake goes up a bit but that is a good starting point to compare your caloric intake.

Here's what you want to consider as far as losing muscle mass.  For lower intensity, long duration exercise, your body is going to use a mix of fat and CHO for energy.  The more aerobic you stay the more fat will make up that mix because it takes a lot of oxygen to metabolize fat.  The greater intensity you exercise at, the more CHO are going to be used.  Unfortunately, we have less CHO stores in our body so when we're out our body will begin to break down protein, not exclusively, to use for energy.  So, if we aren't eating adequate amounts of CHO then we're more likely to suffer from protein breakdown.  That's one way we lose muscle mass from exercise and the best way to combat that is by consuming adequate CHOs. 

The second way we lose muscle mass is by normal protein breakdown.  Exercise requires we use our muscles.  As we put strain on our muscles, naturally there is breakdown that occurs which allows our muscles to rebuild stronger than they were before.  This happens no matter what exercise we do as long as there is some resistance involved.  You combat this by consuming the right amount of protein, especially following an exercise session. 

Last thing to think about is if you eat more CHO than you need, your body will store that energy as fat.  You want to shoot for complex CHO because they take longer to break down, meaning you have more time to use that energy.

So that is the long answer to your question.  The short answer is composition does matter so you want to reduce your calories in the right proportions.  You don't have to eat meat to get your protein.  You can get your protein from egg whites or a combination of beans and vegetables.  Another way to maintain your muscle mass is to consume a post-workout shake, like EAS Myoplex or another protein shake. 

You only need around .8-1.8g of protein per kilogram of body weight (divide your weight by 2.2 to get kgs).  As far as fat loss goes, do a majority of your exercise at an aerobic level, that's where your body will burn more fat.  The more aerobic exercise you do, the better your body becomes at metabolizing fat, it just takes time.  Recommended weight loss levels are 1-2 lbs a week.  One pound is equal to 3500 calories so you want to shoot for a caloric deficit of 500-1000 a day to meet that goal. 

Sorry that was wordy but I always like to make sure people understand the reason behind things instead of just tell them what to do.  They seem to do better if they know the "why."  Hope that helped. If anything wasn't clear or you have another question, just let me know.

Caleb

Edited by cspreiter 2010-01-08 11:14 AM
2010-01-08 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
Some random post to catch up (I'll try to do better at reading the forum )

Training Watch - I have the Garmin 305.  It's quite large, but does a great job.  It's around $170 on Amazon, with the heart rate monitor.  I also bought the add-on to allow me to track my cadence on my bike.  Uploading the data is nice, either in the garmin training center software, or now on BT with my bronze membership.

Cold Weather Riding - I just did a ride  here in "sunny" California.  It was in the low 40s with fog.  I was bundled up pretty well, long ridding pants, long sleeve tech-t, riding jersey and then a wind breaker.  I got full finger riding gloves for Christmas, and they helped a lot.  The only thing that got me was the lack of either  warmer socks or shoe covers.  After the ride ( 18 miles ), I  could not feel my toes Frown.  One other thing that I got for Christmas that helped was a headband that covered my ears.   The one I got is a little thick to squeeze under the helmet, but I've seen some thinner ones that I believe are designed for riders.

Training - I've been either running or biking, but have yet to hit the pool.  Any suggestions / tips for a beginner swimmer ( I can swim, but have not had any training ) are greatly appreciated.

Question - I'm interested in getting clip-on aerobars for my bike.  Any one have any suggestions?  Anyone know what other changes I should make to my bike ( seat height, position, etc.) ?

Thanks and happy training!

Chris R.

Edited by croyston 2010-01-10 9:25 AM
2010-01-09 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2604196

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
croyston - 2010-01-08 8:00 PM Some random post to catch up (I'll try to do better at reading the forum )

Training Watch - I have the Garmin 305.  It's quite large, but does a great job.  It's around $170 on Amazon, with the heart rate monitor.  I also bought the add-on to allow me to track my cadence on my bike.  Uploading the data is nice, either in the garmin training center software, or now on BT with my bronze membership.

Cols Weather Riding - I just did a ride  here in "sunny" California.  It was in the low 40s with fog.  I was bundled up pretty well, long ridding pants, long sleeve tech-t, riding jersey and then a wind breaker.  I got full finger riding gloves for Christmas, and they helped a lot.  The only thing that got me was the lack of either  warmer socks or shoe covers.  After the ride ( 18 miles ), I  could not feel my toes Frown.  One other thing that I got for Christmas that helped was a headband that covered my ears.   The one I got is a little thick to squeeze under the helmet, but I've seen some thinner ones that I believe are designed for riders.

Training - I've been either running or biking, but have yet to hit the pool.  Any suggestions / tips for a beginner swimmer ( I can swim, but have not had any training ) are greatly appreciated.

Question - I'm interested in getting clip-on aerobars for my bike.  Any one have any suggestions?  Anyone know what other changes I should make to my bike ( seat height, position, etc.) ?

Thanks and happy training!

Chris R.

When you start swimming you'll want to work on technique more than plowing through the water.  An out of shape swimmer with good technique will swim faster than a strong runner/biker with poor swim mechanics! 

I took a 22 year break from swimming after college.  When I got back in the water a few years ago I didn't realize how poor my technique had become.  In my mind I was visualizing that my stroke looked the same as when I was a young stud; when someone knowledgable saw me swimming she pointed out some major flaws that were leading to my shoulder pain!  I'm always a proponent of getting lessons or having someone critique your stroke since what you think you do and what you actually do are often very different! 

Many newer swimmers don't rotate their bodies enough when swimming.  They swim very "flat" whereas front crawl really should swum rotating from side to side (almost) with each stroke.  There are some good drills and videos here http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/index.asp?catid=158 though you might have to be a bronze member to see them.  Total Immersion has some good books and videos out there to help you get started also.

Regarding the bike, if you have a standard road bike you'll likely need to make some adjustments when you get clip-on aerobars.  You'll likely need to move your saddle forward and/or get a shorter stem to not be too stretched out.  Moving your saddle forward may also require you to move it up very slightly to get better leg extension.  You may also need to raise your handlebars a bit to have a more open hip angle and be more comfortable.  If you buy them from a good bike shop they might give you a simple "eyeball fitting" without charge to get you started.  I've never gotten a professional fit though I may this year.  Until now I've had my daughter take pictures of me riding to make sure the seat height and basic angles appear good, and make minor adjustments (a few mm at a time) as I feel necessary.  

Brian 
2010-01-09 11:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA
Hey everyone...hope all are well.  Been away from the computer except for moments to log training.  Feeling pretty good right now.  Down 7 pounds this week and can already feel the old body coming back (just a little bit).  This weight thing is a killer.

I would love to have some input on heart rate training zones...i see how they are computed but i seem to be more comfortable training at a slightly higher heart rate...for instance, if your plan says to train in Zone 2...i am out of Zone 2 in about 30 seconds and end up in Zone 4 where it doesnt seem too bad.  Do you just fudge them until they feel right?  Am I making sense?  Help, my brain is getting in the way again......

Jim

2010-01-09 4:43 PM
in reply to: #2592310

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA
Hi Deb-

I took the TI swim class a couple of years ago.  It was an amazing thing....actually almost falling asleep probably makes you a better swimmer using their methods...it was all about being long and relaxing..the opposite of the way I swim.  The first day was pretty funny watching people actually swim backwards....but once you got it down (after many many laps and instructors correcting your form while swimming under you [ yes a little unnerving] it is a pretty nice way to get thru the water.  I thought about taking the class again just to "remember" how it is done.

Deb C - 2010-01-04 8:15 AM

I bought a swim video by Total Immersion and started to watch it last night after dinner.  Not sure if the food did me in or the video, but I found myself nodding off after about 15 minutes.  Taking a recovery day Tuesday.  My spin class this morning showed true signs that I need it.  I actually think I started noticing I was completely cashed yesterday, but decided to go "just one more day".  Yeah - lesson learned.

I posted a recipe in my training log (blog) for those interested.  It is a scallop recipe with anchovies.  I am sure you can omit the anchovies if you don't like them.  I honestly don't taste them in this recipe.

Have a great work out!

Deb

2010-01-10 4:31 PM
in reply to: #2604837

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Jimi - 2010-01-09 11:31 AM Hey everyone...hope all are well.  Been away from the computer except for moments to log training.  Feeling pretty good right now.  Down 7 pounds this week and can already feel the old body coming back (just a little bit).  This weight thing is a killer.

I would love to have some input on heart rate training zones...i see how they are computed but i seem to be more comfortable training at a slightly higher heart rate...for instance, if your plan says to train in Zone 2...i am out of Zone 2 in about 30 seconds and end up in Zone 4 where it doesnt seem too bad.  Do you just fudge them until they feel right?  Am I making sense?  Help, my brain is getting in the way again......

Jim

Congrats on the weight loss!

How did you determine your HR zones?

If your workout asks for so many minutes in a certain zone and you find it easy to do those minutes at a higher zone, and you recover easily from that run, I wouldn't worry much.  Most likely your calculation of max HR is a bit off so your zones are a bit off.

I don't use my HR monitor much anymore, but consider zone 2 the pace that I can hold a conversation, but not necessarily easily.  Does that description fit what you consider HR zones 3 or 4?

Brian
2010-01-10 4:32 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
I got my second flat of the year today.  Make sure you know how to change a tire.  Unfortunately I seem to get a lot of practice!

Brian
2010-01-10 9:49 PM
in reply to: #2606255

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA
You realize that if you would quit riding through cactus patches this would not be such a recurring problem...reminds me when i did a charity ride about 10 years ago,  7 flats in 50 miles.  That sucked..... 

famelec - 2010-01-10 2:32 PM I got my second flat of the year today.  Make sure you know how to change a tire.  Unfortunately I seem to get a lot of practice!

Brian

Edited by Jimi 2010-01-10 9:50 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Famelec Brian's Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 13