BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-12-31 6:48 AM
in reply to: #2585402

Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
IceManScott - 2009-12-30 10:18 PM Hi, 

I'm Scott Richardson, Urbana/Champaign Illinois network.  Live in Bloomington, IL. 

Howdy neighbor, I'm in Indiana just east of the IN/IL border about 30 miles or so from Danville, IL

kenj - 2009-12-31 4:53 AM

I currently am using the Garmin Forerunner 305,

I'm using a Garmin 305 Edge for my biking and love it. Would really like to step up to the 705 Edge but that's money better served another day.

Edited by DougJ 2009-12-31 7:10 AM

2009-12-31 6:48 AM
in reply to: #2578675

Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
Heading in another direction,,,
I'm looking for training/ triathlon terminology, what is a "brick"? Alot of the swim acronyms I'm not familiar with either, maybe cause I'm not a swimmer.
Below is an excerpt from a training log, it just as well be Arabic because I understand none of it. Any help?

WU: 400
MS:
3x200 on 20" rest
2x50 back 1:30 rest
3x200 on 20" rest
2x50 back 1:30 rest
3x200 on 20" rest - descend each set of 200s. 100 easy swim
6x75 kick
600 pull
100 easy swim
3x(4x75): 3x 1st drill, 2nd Stroke, 3rd easy, 4th FAST with 20" rest
CD: 200 warm-down
2009-12-31 7:04 AM

Looks like today may be the last opportunity for me to get outside and do something. Weather is to take a turn for the worse late this evening, I may be able to get one last ride in before the year is done. Which reminds me "plug in the Garmin to charge it up".
I would challenge everyone to get out tomorrow to do a New Years Day run, but WOW it's going to be single digit weather here, so I know it won't happen for me.

So here is what I will throw out to everyone:
I challenge everyone to get at least a 20 minute workout in tomorrow (indoors or out, indoor for me). You choose the exercise, but do post back as what it was; walking, lifting, running, yoga, swimming, combination of stuff, etc., etc.

Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here or over stepping my bounds.

Edited by DougJ 2009-12-31 7:07 AM
2009-12-31 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Doug - you are a neighbor indeed.   Our club has two really good tris here, a sprint in June and an Olympic in July if you are looking for something close.

Also, the language is something you pick up.  A brick is a bike workout followed by a run.  The suggestion is that we run even a short mile after every bike ride to get our bodies in tune with the change from one to the other.   In warm weather, I try to do that.  My coach schedules a brick year round once a week that includes at least a 5K once  a week.  That distance will ramp up with the half IM coming in 2010.  In winter, I ride the trainer and run outside when I can. Or I head to the gym and its little track. Ick.

The swimming lingo is 3 X 200 @ 30 seconds.  They want you do swim three intervals of 200 yards each with 30 seconds rest in between each one.  From that you can translate other directions like 4 X 50 @ 15 secs, right? 

A good book is the Triathlete's Training Bible.  He explains a lot of the basics.  http://www.trainingbible.com/index.aspx/>
I got the Garmin 310XT over the 305s (which are really inexpensive now) for only one reason.  The 310 is waterproof.  You can put it on at the beginning of the event and forget about it other than to push one button when you leave the water, again at the end of T1, again at the end of the bike, again at the end of T2 and again at the end of the run.  You'll have the enter race timed that way.  It will not do pace or HR in the water.  I had a little trouble with the wireless transfer from the device to the computer.  Garmin fixed it on the phone and with a remote computer hookup in about 10 minutes.  Great tech support. 

Happy New Year!
2009-12-31 8:06 AM
in reply to: #2585757

IceManScott - 2009-12-31 8:25 AM Doug - you are a neighbor indeed.   Our club has two really good tris here, a sprint in June and an Olympic in July if you are looking for something close.

Thanks for the invite,
I went and found the Tri events you referred to. I'll keep them in mind, the only problem is, I work a late 2nd shift. So most of the events I do, either have to be on a Sunday or I need to schedule a personal day off work on Friday. Since I have already committed to Branson, I have most my vacation time wrapped up around that event. If I can work it out, I'd like to give the Tri-Shark Triathlon Classic a shot. I'll put it on my "possible" list.
Thanks,,,

Edited by DougJ 2009-12-31 8:09 AM
2009-12-31 8:47 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

You'll run into a lot of the lingo stuff especially when you get into some of the training plans.  Don't be afraid to ask!  I promise that I had to!

One of the nice things about the garmin products is the ability to upload them to your workout log on BT.  Since that feature was added I haven't used garmins at all.  Unfortunately, it is a premium feature so you have to be a paying member of BT. 

2009-12-31 9:10 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I dropped a note to those that their only post was to join the group!  Hopefully that will get them into the conversation!!! 

I have 2 that signed up that have their logs private that I need to get them to add the rest of us as friends or make their logs public, and I wil have a list of all our members with links to their page to make it easier to inspire each other!

Speaking of logs, if you aren't already, make sure to use the logs to post your workouts and any comments on how the workout went so the rest of us can give you some feed back!

2009-12-31 9:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I still use the Garmin web site so I can upload it to Training Peaks for my coach.  Going to take half day off and go swim, then bike, then going to go out to eat dinner with my wife and friends. Home early.  Tomorrow is a rest day!  Sunday is cyclocross! And it will be cold indeed. 

By the way, I think I added all of you as "friends" on BT so you can see my training log.  I usually just post times here.  Most bike weeks are three power workouts and an endurance ride...2X swimming with the Masters Swimming Asso. (they didn't swim this morning due to the holiday) and 2-3X runs. 

Have a great night.  Stay safe.

IceMan
2009-12-31 9:12 AM

User image

New user
I had a question about memberships...I notice many people in our group actually have Bronze Silver and Gold. Are the benefits worth it enough to justify an extra cost? I am thinking that maybe when I get deeping into training it would be helpful but right now maybe not so much?I am sure I will be back on before the New Year but Happy New Year to everyone.
2009-12-31 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I joined only because I use the forum and the training log and wanted to support the site.  Without coaches, the training programs and such would be worth a look, I suspect. 
2009-12-31 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2586047

selonimes - 2009-12-31 10:12 AM I had a question about memberships...I notice many people in our group actually have Bronze Silver and Gold. Are the benefits worth it enough to justify an extra cost?

I'm still learning the site, so I really can't say yes or no. Maybe someone with more site experience can give a better answer. I paid mainly for the training plans and I figured if I threw some dough out to the site, it might more motivate me to stay active in the site and that in turn would help me stay more focused on my overall goal.
In my mind, the logic makes sense.

2009-12-31 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2586047

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

selonimes - 2009-12-31 10:12 AM I had a question about memberships...I notice many people in our group actually have Bronze Silver and Gold. Are the benefits worth it enough to justify an extra cost? I am thinking that maybe when I get deeping into training it would be helpful but right now maybe not so much?I am sure I will be back on before the New Year but Happy New Year to everyone.

The most noticable difference is the available training plans.  The bronze plans are more detailed (and there are more of them) than the freebies.  The silver level has more detailed and additional plans from the bronze level.  The only difference from silver to gold is the availability of the coaches to answer training questions on the plans (or any other training issues).  Not like you would get with a personal coach, as you post it in a forum specifically for this purpose and they get answer in a day or 2. 

There are other benefits as well, like downloading from a garmin. 

Like the Iceman said, I first started at Bronze then upgraded to Gold mostly to financially support the site that has given me the motivation to keep the weight off and stick with tri's!!!

2009-12-31 5:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Happy New Year everyone!
2009-12-31 10:41 PM
in reply to: #2585726

User image

Welllington, NZ
DougJ - 2010-01-01 2:04 AM  
So here is what I will throw out to everyone: I challenge everyone to get at least a 20 minute workout in tomorrow 

Done! Not sure if we are, or want to post responses to challenges here (probably Kenj can advise) but i've also logged it in my training log. Today so far, 5mins pushups, 10mins core routine and 42min/7k run. Now i remember why i do my abs/core routines in the evening after my main sessions - my abs were screaming towards the end of the run!

Good luck to anyone else doing some workouts today!!!

Lewis.

Edited by lbishop 2009-12-31 10:42 PM
2010-01-01 5:36 AM

Happy new year everybody! 
Started the year running Was going to run at least 5k, but ended up running 3k. It is freezing, I thought my legs would turn into ice and fall off my body at some point hehe. But so worth it
Off to making some healthy food for my b-day party Laughing

2010-01-01 6:14 AM
in reply to: #2587385

User image

Welllington, NZ
rTanja - 2010-01-02 12:36 AMHappy new year everybody! 
Started the year running Was going to run at least 5k, but ended up running 3k. It is freezing, I thought my legs would turn into ice and fall off my body at some point hehe. But so worth it

Nice one Rakel! Unfortunately i seem to be a fair-weather runner which is not so good in Windy Wellngton (which has also been rather wet of late) - hopefully more of this will inspire me to get out there in the not-so-great weather when the seasons change!!! Embarassed

And happy birthday! 

Lewis.

Edited by lbishop 2010-01-01 6:16 AM

2010-01-01 6:22 AM
in reply to: #2587319

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

lbishop - 2009-12-31 11:41 PM
DougJ - 2010-01-01 2:04 AM  
So here is what I will throw out to everyone: I challenge everyone to get at least a 20 minute workout in tomorrow 

Done! Not sure if we are, or want to post responses to challenges here (probably Kenj can advise) but i've also logged it in my training log. Today so far, 5mins pushups, 10mins core routine and 42min/7k run. Now i remember why i do my abs/core routines in the evening after my main sessions - my abs were screaming towards the end of the run!

Good luck to anyone else doing some workouts today!!!

Lewis.

You can post the challenges here and the response!  I think challenges are a great way to get people motivated and keep them there! 

I encourage everyone to post all of there workouts in your training log so the rest of us can see it and use the inspire feature to comment and encourage each other!!!

2010-01-01 6:23 AM
in reply to: #2587385

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

rTanja - 2010-01-01 6:36 AM Happy new year everybody! 

Great job!!!

Happy Birthday!!!

2010-01-01 6:28 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Happy New Year everyone!!!!  This is the year you all will start or continue your journey to health and fitness!!!!

Make sure to post your goals for January!!!

I am leaving for Florida this afternoon for the marathon at Disney next weekend!  Until next Wednesday I will be at my inlaws.  I think I have internet access, but it may be spotty so I may only be able to check in once or twice a day.  After Wednesday I will be at Disney so I should have better access, but probably won't be setting near a computer to often.  But be sure to continue to post and I will get back to you before too long. 

2010-01-01 6:31 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I'll go first with January's goal!

My goal is to finish the last week of marathon training as written, run the half marathon relatively slow, and the marathon as fast as my abilities allow me.   Then for the rest of January rest and recover by swimming, biking and running when I want!

2010-01-01 10:03 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I did my New Years workout that Doug challenged us to!!

Rest day from running, so I hit the gym for some strength training!

2010-01-01 10:44 AM

Happy New Year to all that it applies,

kenj - 2010-01-01 7:28 AM

I am leaving for Florida this afternoon for the marathon at Disney next weekend!

Good Luck and be safe.

Happy Birthday

Just got my own challenge in, longest run to date. 8 MILES , on a treadmill with an incline of 1, and 76:30 time. No speed racer by any means, but this is a big accomplishment for me (I hate to run).

Edited by DougJ 2010-01-01 11:05 AM
2010-01-01 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2587673

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

DougJ - 2010-01-01 11:44 AM Happy New Year to all that it applies,

Just got my own challenge in, longest run to date. 8 MILES , on a treadmill with an incline of 1, and 76:30 time. No speed racer by any means, but this is a big accomplishment for me (I hate to run).

That is awesome! Great job!!!

2010-01-01 12:14 PM

Subject: Wetsuit opinions
Looking at wet suits,,,, any opinions? Brand, fullbody, sleeveless, mm thickness? Good suit at a reasonable price?Give it time and I'll question you to death. I'm bound and determined to learn this sport.

Edited by DougJ 2010-01-01 12:15 PM
2010-01-01 12:38 PM

Happy New Year everyone,

I actually got up too early today because I feel so excited about starting out this new year. It is definitely a big encouragement and very helpful belonging to this program on many levels. From being inspired by everyone's stories of challenges and successes to knowing that I am not the only one that doesn't understand all the new lingo...lol.  The challenge idea and monthly goals are great motivator's as well.

I printed out the Michael Pate's Total Sprint training and will start that tomorrow. My goal for January is to stay consistent with the training. The swim part will be tricky for me because it gets so cold here that it's just easier to stay in my house where it is warm and cozy. But I will suck it up and make it out to the pool. (This accountability thing sure works!)
For today I am going to ease into it with some yoga and setting up my training log.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  

of 29