BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Madcow's mentor group -CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2010-01-03 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2579858

User image

Subject: RE: Madcow's mentor group -CLOSED!
2 days straightSmile swam today felt pretty good. I am slowly feeling the motivation creeping in. I am afraid I have put on  a lot of weight but will start nutrition plan today and wait til end of Jan to really access the damage.

2010-01-03 1:59 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego

Today has not been a good nutrition day for me. We woke up late, then were late for church, so none of us ate. We left church and went to my favorite Mexican food place. I ordered my all time favorite breakfast from 30 pounds ago, Chilaquiles with rice and beans. The plan was for my wife and I to split a plate, but as we ordered, she decided she was too hungry to only eat half a plate, so we each ordered a plate. True to form, she finished LESS than half a plate and I, of course finished the whole plate.

I was going to take the day off, but I might have to ride so I can eat dinner since I am sure I ate a whole day's worth of calories at breakfast

2010-01-03 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
Thanks for the feedback all - only problem is my wife kind of agrees with the guy re: strength and stretching. SHe feels if I cant touch my toes today - what will i be like when I am 70.

THanks for making me hungry Madcow.

Had a great spin class this morning with my wife, which was a real treat. Then had an afternoon run in 0 degree windchills. Only went 2.5 miles. boy was it cold. I can only hope that the weather on July 25th will be a scooch warmer.
2010-01-03 3:12 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Today was my first swim day.  I HATED it!!!  I swam 1200 meters.  I was in the pool for 45 minutes.  I am not anywhere near being a good swimmer.  I will do my swims 3x's a week and I m sure I will progress.  Any other tips from anyone?  I saw a lot of people using fins and other swim products.  Should i bother investing in some to help me.  I am not panicking but it wasn't as easy as i thought it would be.  GREAT workout though, i can feel it.  
2010-01-03 10:02 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Ready to get back on the right eating track.  Have pizza and ice cream tonight.   Hope everyone has a good productive week.
2010-01-04 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2591649

I think everyone is on the same page regarding New Year's nutrition plans!  I ate (3) apple fritters for dinner last night.  Seriously, that was my dinner.  That was after I ate a late afternoon snack of ice cream and hot fudge covered brownie, and also finished off my wife's chocolate chip cookie and ice cream.  Ate a big slab of lasagna and ceasar salad for lunch.  Yeah, I went out in style!! 

I didn't do anything yesterday.  Took the baby to my parents and watched football. 

I got up this AM and ran 3 miles on a treadmill.  I have my lunch workout of lifting weights today.  Getting in the pool tomorrow at lunch. 

Regarding beginners in the pool, I'm totally a beginner and have massive problems of my own.  But to answer a question above, if you are doing different types of drills, fins, paddle boards, and pool bouys can be helpful devices.  I signed up for swm lessons so the coach has tons of these things already for me to use.  But I can tell you, if I had to swim on my side with one arm up, and one arm back using only my feet to propell me, it'd take a week to complete the drill without fins!!! 

2010-01-04 7:52 AM

User image

Elite
San Diego

I'm glad I am not the only one to eat like crap this weekend. I feel better.

I agree, the best piece of swim equipment (besides the waterproof mp3 player) is the swim buoy. Using the bouy does a few things:

1. Keeps you from kicking, which means you aren't working that hard. It makes it easier to breathe and swim longer than you would if you were kicking 100 beats per stroke. Great for long endurance sets.
2. Helps you focus on upper body position and form. Swimming is all about form, so this is a really good way to work on good form.
3. For me, I always race in a wetsuit, so using a buoy simulates my body position in the water with a wetsuit on.

I have fins, but I don't use them because I don't kick much in a race. Although I am the world's slowest kicker and could use them on my kick sets. It just seems like more trouble than they are worth. Plus my calves always cramp when I use them.

I have never tried paddles, but I hear they are a good arm workout.

2010-01-04 7:59 AM

User image

Might take a look  at the total immersion stuff helped me a lot. I used the drills Sunday after church to dial my swim stroke in a little. Still slow but it really improved time too.
2010-01-04 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
Did 1100 meters in the pool today in a speedy, not, 25:08. Gotta keep at it.
2010-01-04 3:27 PM

New user
Sorry I missed logging in yesterday.  Too much terrible football to watch.  I couldn't turn away.

Saturday I had the best 30 min swim ever.  I watched alot of the Total immersion videos and went the goal of just being a better swimmer.  I didn't use bouys or flippers.  I took four training exercises and and few thoughts to the pool.  I focused on relaxing my head and hands and rotating from the hips.  I used several drills to help with my arm techniques.  I have know idea how many laps I did.  I did look up after 30 mins and had been in the pool for 40 min.  I was blown away.  If I didn't feel like I swam one of the laps good, I stopped refocused and went again.

I had never done the one arm out and one on your side drill.  Thought I would drown.  If you do it correctly it is a very neat excersise.  When you run out of breath just stop and start over to you get to the end of the lap.  The zipper where you drag your thumb up you rib cage is pretty cool too. 

I have a 20 min swim tonight and a 25 min run.  Look forward to the swim, I hate running.

Have a great evening.

2010-01-04 5:01 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego

Good job guys! It's not easy doing something that you are not comfortable doing. But trust me, you will get there and soon you will be a fish in the water. I used to panic all of the time in the water, now it is second nature to me. I almost fell asleep swimming once, but that has more to do with my slow pace than my comfort level

2010-01-04 6:24 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Thanks all for the swim ideas and encouragement.  I am just being a baby right now when it comes to the swim.  I can't wait to improve and I will before the first Tri race in March.  I did a 4 mile run this morning and I have an ice hockey game tonight.  
2010-01-04 6:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
I think i am skipping tonights bike workout. Became very queezy on drive home from work, and the site of food nauseates me right now. Dont want to push it this early.
2010-01-04 8:04 PM

New user
Got another good swim in and okay run.  My legs where shot after the swim.  Had something funny happen during the swim.  After swimming for awhile the guy next me asked are you prcticing the total immersion dvd's.  We talked for a few minutes, he has the dvd's but was nervous about practicing it.  I just told him to go for it!!!

I thought it was ironic that some one was asking me about swimming.
2010-01-05 7:01 AM

User image

Ran tough hill run yesterday and pretty sore today swam this morning and will get on the drainer I mean trainer this eveningFrown, will be glad when it warms up a little.
2010-01-05 7:37 AM

User image

Elite
San Diego

Good morning.

I went to the gym this morning and will run at lunch. I might ride tonight if I am in the mood for it.

2010-01-05 8:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
Planning a lunch time run, but belly still off. We shall see.
2010-01-05 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2594511

Well, I got up and ran 4 miles this AM.  I was only planning on 3, but felt really good today and thought I had enough time to go another mile.

I went swimming at lunch... a whole 50M.  I swim at a local college and the school has been closed for the holiday break.  Well, they finally cut the heat back on on Monday but didn't do something right in the pool area.  The water was a balmy 70 degrees.  Only 4 of us even showed up to practice because of the cold.  I decided I was already there, I might as well make the most of it.  I jumped in and started swimming.  It was so cold I couldn't even focus on what I was doing.  It truly felt like little pins and needles sticking me all over.  That was brutal.  One fellow swimmer brought a wetsuit so he was digging it.  I hoped out and grabbed a hot shower and back to work I went.  Oh well.

2010-01-05 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
Did 3 on the treadmill today at 7:40 pace. Felt really strong despite my lousy sleep last night. Smelt something burning earlier in the evening but couldnt find where from, so didnt go to sleep until 1:00 AM when I was confident we werent going to burn down.
2010-01-05 7:13 PM

New user
Today is my rest day and I took it!  I have a 35 min stationary bike ride ride tommorow and a good weight session. 

Glad to hear you didn't burn down .

DB
2010-01-05 8:25 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Today was a light day with 45 minutes of weight training.

Found some literature regarding swimming via you tube and internet.  Feeling a little better about swimming.  I will be swimming tomorrow night. 

2010-01-06 7:16 AM

Today is off to a crappy start.  Got up at 4:45 to go run.  Got all geared up and on my way out the door I hear my 8-mo old start crying.  I wait a few minutes to see if he goes back to sleep... he doesn't.  I go ahead and change him and give him a bottle, all in the dark to see if I can get him back to sleep and still fit in my run.  He does go back to sleep in my arms but as soon as I put him back in his crib, he starts crying again.  So much for my run today. 

Doing a weight training session in the gym at lunch today.  Gearing myself up for an 8.5 mile run on Saturday.  That will be the longest I've run since my 1/2 marry a month ago.  Gotta start ramping these miles up if I have any hopes of doing a marathon in March. 

How is everyone's hump day?  This week is going to feel looooong.  First full week of work in three weeks.  I'm already ready for a break!!

So what tri gear did everyone get for Christmas?  I got a road bike (Cannondale used CAAD3) with shoes, peddles et al.  Got a Garmin 305 too.  Also got some compression base shirts and running socks. 
2010-01-06 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2597001

User image

Elite
San Diego

mbbransc - 2010-01-06 5:16 AM Today is off to a crappy start.  Got up at 4:45 to go run.  Got all geared up and on my way out the door I hear my 8-mo old start crying.  I wait a few minutes to see if he goes back to sleep... he doesn't.  I go ahead and change him and give him a bottle, all in the dark to see if I can get him back to sleep and still fit in my run.  He does go back to sleep in my arms but as soon as I put him back in his crib, he starts crying again.  So much for my run today. 

Doing a weight training session in the gym at lunch today.  Gearing myself up for an 8.5 mile run on Saturday.  That will be the longest I've run since my 1/2 marry a month ago.  Gotta start ramping these miles up if I have any hopes of doing a marathon in March. 

How is everyone's hump day?  This week is going to feel looooong.  First full week of work in three weeks.  I'm already ready for a break!!

So what tri gear did everyone get for Christmas?  I got a road bike (Cannondale used CAAD3) with shoes, peddles et al.  Got a Garmin 305 too.  Also got some compression base shirts and running socks. 

That's too bad about your little one. I have missed my share of workouts due to kids. For my last Ironman, I skipped a ton of runs just because my son wanted to have cereal with me on Sunday mornings. I paid for it during the Ironman, but it was worth it because they are only young once and there is a whole lifetime of races out there for me.

Congrats on the new race stuff. That's always fun to get new toys. I didn't get any tri or workout gear. My wife is pretty cool and gives me the green light to get what I need all year long because she knows I will use it... but in a way that takes all of the fun out of it. Begging, pleading and pouting is half the fun of getting the new toys.

There is a tri shop going out of business near me. The owner said he has a pair of 650 carbon aero wheels that he has been trying to sell me for years. My bike uses 650 wheels and I swear I am the only person in the U.S. still using 650's. I told him I only race about once a year and new wheels aren't worth it. So, my wife said to wait until the last day and see what deal he will offer then. So, I may end up with new wheels if the price is right. We'll see

I'm not sure what I am doing today. My kids have soccer, so I was going to swim after work but i can't find my trunks, so I may ride tonight.

2010-01-06 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
Hope your son is feeling better. I had to take the day off of work and training today since my wife and both kids have the stomach bug. I was up all night cleaning everyone and everything. DOnt need too many details here thoguh. THank goodness I havent gotten it and it is way early in the training.
2010-01-06 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2597071

madcow - 2010-01-06 8:47 AM

There is a tri shop going out of business near me. The owner said he has a pair of 650 carbon aero wheels that he has been trying to sell me for years. My bike uses 650 wheels and I swear I am the only person in the U.S. still using 650's. I told him I only race about once a year and new wheels aren't worth it. So, my wife said to wait until the last day and see what deal he will offer then. So, I may end up with new wheels if the price is right. We'll see

You aren't the ONLY one still running with 650s.  My bike has them too.  I swear, I just can't tell a difference right now.  This is the first time I'm riding a bike since my Diamondback freestyle bike back in the late 80s!!  (think of the movie RAD!!!)  I got a deal on the bike so I thought it'd be a great place to start.

A bike shop 1.1 miles from the house went out of biz in Nov and had a sale Black Friday weekend.  That's where I picked up my shoes, peddles, and some random things like tubes and pump.  I got everything for $180.  My shoes were originally $200!!  I hate seeing good shops go out of biz, but the sales can't be beat!!  It was a madehouse in there!

Edited by mbbransc 2010-01-06 9:36 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Madcow's mentor group -CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 16