BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's "Let's Get Dirty!" Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2010-01-03 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2580219

Subject: RE: PirateGirl's "Let's Get Dirty!" Group - CLOSED
Carol: I do both although I would rather spin.  The time goes much faster, I work out much harder.  You can also tell which of the instructors ride outdoors as well based on how they teach.   There is one instructor who I learn a lot from about outside riding in class.  Two for one for me. 

2010-01-03 7:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
Off day today for a few reasons. Did not sleep well last night as the pager went off several times and I had to get up and call into work. And then I forgot to take my workout stuff to work with me, so could not go to the gym at lunch. When I got home from work I punted and took a nap rather than go for a bike ride. Might try to get in a few minutes on the treadmill later tonight. 

2010-01-03 8:46 PM

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!
Elaine

How many swimming lessons a novice should take?  I don't think the 2/wk with TNT will be enough.  The current gym I go wit pool doesn't have Masters classes
2010-01-04 12:11 PM

New user

Good Morning!

Hope everyone had a great weekend.  Today was my first workout. For the most part I think it went well.  I found I am panicking in the pool a bit, wanting to get to the end fast which leaves me out of breath rather than slow and easy.  I have to work on this.  I was able to swim (if that's what you want to call it) 400 metres but had to use various types of strokes to get it accomplished. 

Rode the stationary bike for 20 min, just nice and easy.  Enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  Then finished with a nice and easy 10 min walk on the treadmill. 

Overall I feel good.  A little tired and sore but but good. Cool
2010-01-04 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2591540

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
trainforacure - 2010-01-03 5:46 PM Elaine

How many swimming lessons a novice should take?  I don't think the 2/wk with TNT will be enough.  The current gym I go wit pool doesn't have Masters classes

I've heard from swim coaches 3X per week to see improvement. If you can do 2 with TNT and then a 3rd on your own, that would be good. If you need some workouts to follow, there are some beginner ones listed here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/index.asp?catid=156

2010-01-04 4:38 PM

Happy Monday all.  I'm having a lot of charlie horse type cramping when I run lately.  I think I need to get back into the habit of weekly yoga.  That's one of my goals for this week of getting back into my usual routine.  Monday night yoga, get into the pool (  it's been many weeks), and Have a colorful week. 

Anyone else have special goals this week? 

2010-01-05 2:17 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Nice job this week ladies!

Sometimes it's tough to get back in the swing of things after the holidays. I try to do things like pack my gym and gear bags the night before so that it's ready to go for the next day's workout. After awhile I get in the groove of unpacking the bag and re-packing it so that it's always ready to go, and it lessens the chance of forgetting anything. I feel guilty if I packed the bag and didn't do the workout it was packed for.
2010-01-05 2:30 PM

What level should one be at to take Master's classes.   I see they offer them at my gym, but I am not sure if I am at that level.  I have never swam at any sort of competitive level.   But, I am also afraid to try and train on my own.  Advice?
2010-01-05 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
The masters swim at my gym has workouts for 3 different levels, beginner, intermediate and advanced, and you just do the workout that fits with your skill level. The coach is there to provide feedback on stroke, etc.

2010-01-05 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Here's the website for the US Masters Swimming.    http://www.usms.org/ One has to be a member of this organization to then show up at the classes which are taught at different locations through out the city.  I just switched from LA Fitness to the Healthplex to take these classes.  The coach told me they accept all levels of experience.  My gym fee will be about 60 more a month and the place is 20 minutes away as opposed to 5 for LA Fitness.  For 20 bucks a month, I can take unlimited swimming classes with them--they offer 6 classes/week. 
2010-01-06 5:06 PM

User image

Twin Falls, ID (not from here, I just live here)
Hello All! I started training this week, but it's feeling like it's off to a rough start. I intended to use one of the free plans on BT, but just haven't picked one out. However, I got a decent ride in at a spinning class on Monday night, have done some strength training each day this week, and plan to get a swim in tonight.

I hope you're all off to a great start!

2010-01-07 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2595722

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Nimue - 2010-01-05 11:30 AM What level should one be at to take Master's classes.   I see they offer them at my gym, but I am not sure if I am at that level.  I have never swam at any sort of competitive level.   But, I am also afraid to try and train on my own.  Advice?

If you can, go to the class and talk to the coach beforehand, and then watch the class and see how the workouts are structured and how they assign people to lanes. That way you can see if it's something you want to get into before signing up.
2010-01-07 6:28 PM

Hi all.  I'm still nursing my right leg along.  I'm having a really hard time getting myself to the pool.  Every time I imagine myself getting into that cold water I come up with a new excuse to put it off till tomorrow.  UGHHHHHHHHHHH  I can be such a weenie.  Hope the week is going well for every one else. 
2010-01-07 10:16 PM
in reply to: #2598834

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
jae.miles - 2010-01-06 2:06 PM I intended to use one of the free plans on BT, but just haven't picked one out.

There are a couple of "run focused" ones. I remember you wanted to work on the running, and those have run workouts 3X per week. There are quite a few free plans to choose from, so hopefully you can find one that will work with your schedule.
2010-01-08 1:23 AM

New user
been lax the last couple days, have worked 2 double shifts, so have not walked any other than at work.  Tried to walk extra, by parking car further back, and wandering the halls when not busy with patients.  Did try a couple of new recipes though trying to eat better as I am a junk aholic.  well get back on the walking horse Sun and off mon so will try to walk twice  I am hanging in there though 

Edited by Youngatheart 2010-01-08 1:23 AM
2010-01-08 1:26 AM
in reply to: #2598834

New user
You go girl  hang in there I also am new and have not been able to walk the last few days (2) but have been at least concentrating on my diet  tried some new healthier recipes.  Keep at it and well all get there.

2010-01-08 8:40 AM

I am doing well this week.  45 min/ day.  Twice I ran and twice I biked.  Just got my suit in the mail today, so I am going to head to the pool tomorrow.  I seem to have a problem in my left foot.  when I walk it's sore, kind of dull throbbing pain.  But, when I run it turns into a pretty sharp/searing pain.  So we'll see what happens with that.  May derail me for a bit.   
2010-01-08 9:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
Made it to the pool yesterday for the first time since July or August. Hercules was sick again last night, so I was up most of the night with him. It is going to be a long day at work. He can sleep all day, but I can't. Frown

Will take my gym stuff to work and see if I can fit in a workout over lunch.
2010-01-08 12:06 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Happy Friday ladies! Lots of great work this week by our group on the workouts. We have kicked off the new year strong!

I hope everyone has a great weekend this weekend!
2010-01-08 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
Got in 30 min on the stationary bike.

There are 57 dogs being tranferred from the San Bernardino animal shelter to OFOSA. They are arriving sometime late afternoon. This is the coonhound that we are going to foster. He was hours away from being euthanized when we told the shelter that we would take him. Lindy is already networking with his hunting buddies to find this guy a good home.

A Walker coonhound about 1 year old
black and tan coonhound

Edited by swgraham 2010-01-08 4:04 PM
2010-01-09 2:30 PM

User image

Twin Falls, ID (not from here, I just live here)
I went to an extended ride spinning class this morning, and got in an astounding 31 miles! That might seem pidly, but I felt pretty good about it! I did finally choose a training plan. My goal is to complete an Olympic triathlon this summer, so I'm doing the free Olympic run focused 20wk training plan. I'll be adding to that a muscle conditioning class twice a week. I put on muscle fairly easily, and this class focuses on tone as well as strength so I don't bulk up too much.

I hope you are all off to a strong start! Happy weekend!

2010-01-10 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2603423

User image

Veteran
swgraham - 2010-01-08 2:28 PM Got in 30 min on the stationary bike.

This is the coonhound that we are going to foster. He was hours away from being euthanized when we told the shelter that we would take him. Lindy is already networking with his hunting buddies to find this guy a good home.

As a mad dog lover, I think it's awesome what you do with fostering! Smile My surviving Lab mutt was fostered for 9 months.  She too was on "The List" when someone recognized she is part Lab.  But she was feral.  She had been severely abused during her puppy years and she was terrified of humans and also violent towards them.  After 9 months, she was a still a bit of a mess.  She bit me the very first time she came home.  But, I had fallen in love with her beautiful and cute face and was willing to continue "therapy" on her. Through lots of TLC she is a new dog--very loving Smile

Edited by trainforacure 2010-01-10 10:38 AM
2010-01-10 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2605872

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR

trainforacure - 2010-01-10 8:33 AM
swgraham - 2010-01-08 2:28 PM Got in 30 min on the stationary bike.

This is the coonhound that we are going to foster. He was hours away from being euthanized when we told the shelter that we would take him. Lindy is already networking with his hunting buddies to find this guy a good home.

As a mad dog lover, I think it's awesome what you do with fostering! Smile My surviving Lab mutt was fostered for 9 months.  She too was on "The List" when someone recognized she is part Lab.  But she was feral.  She had been severely abused during her puppy years and she was terrified of humans and also violent towards them.  After 9 months, she was a still a bit of a mess.  She bit me the very first time she came home.  But, I had fallen in love with her beautiful and cute face and was willing to continue "therapy" on her. Through lots of TLC she is a new dog--very loving Smile

It's awesome to hear stories like yours. One of the other foster dogs that I have right now (Tootsie) came to the rescue as part of a county siezure for abuse/neglect/hoarding. She wouldn't come near people for the first 7-10 days. She has made a lot of progress and I'm hopeful about finding her a good home. It takes a lot of dedication to work with a dog that has been abused because it usually takes months or years for them to fully recover and some of them never do.  Thanks for taking the time to do that. Smile

Tootsie:

Tootsie

Edited by swgraham 2010-01-10 4:45 PM
2010-01-11 5:27 PM

Happy Monday all.  I only managed 50% last week with my goals.  I did a much better job of stretching/ yoga which helped tremendously with my leg , but no pool.  I don't know why I can't get myself in that water.  This week pool, continued yoga, clean up my food and start working on the holiday pounds that I'm apparently fostering.

on a completely unrelated note our own sweet pup was a rescue dog we adopted 7 years ago.  She was at a no kill shelter, but had been returned twice in her tiny life.  As a shepherd mix her energy level was off the charts and people who thought they could manage it couldn't .  Severe separation anxiety/ crazy high energy levels= a lot of work for us .  She is/ was totally worth it.  The perfect addition to our family.  We keep talking about how we should get another dog while she's young enough to show it what's what. 
2010-01-11 6:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
Decided to take the day off yesterday as Hercules has been sick all weekend and I was up with him most of Saturday night. Yesterday we gave him subcutaneous fluids and some meds for his upset stomache. He ate a little bit of white bread and then slept well last night, but would not eat again this morning. So off to the Vet.

They did some blood work and some more tests and determined that he has pancreatitis. Not sure how serious it is yet. The Vet wants to keep him overnight. He will be 13 on Feb 10. Here's to hoping that he makes it that long.

On a positive note, the Coonhound that we are fostering is getting along great with the other hunting dogs. We decided to name him Beaudreaux.

The plan is to take one of the dogs for a walk/run when I get home from work tonight. Not sure who will get to go. Cooter does really well running, but Owen needs the exercise a whole lot more than Cooter does.

Cooter:                                          Owen:                       Beaudreaux:                                   Hercules
CooterOwenBeaudreauxHercules

Edited by swgraham 2010-01-11 6:02 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's "Let's Get Dirty!" Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7