BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-01-02 7:56 PM
in reply to: #2588873

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: OPEN
operachef - 2010-01-02 8:22 AM Alice -

Congratulations on your personal best time - what an awesome feeling to keep up with the 8/milers!!!  Thanks so much for your response - I'm so looking forward to picking your brain!!!  How do you go about finding a swim team?  My older son used to be on one, but it's a kids' team.

You can find a swim team at www.usms.org. Most all of them are listed there. There are few non-Masters teams that sometimes crop up at YMCAs or other fitness clubs, and some local tri teams swim together, so you can try searching for that. You can also check your state forum on BT. Go to forums, then there should be one with the name of your state. Post something there, or search the old posts, and you might find a good recommendation from a real person!

Have you taken the TI workshops at all?
My husband has me signed up (Christmas gift) for some private TI swim lessons and I am looking really forward to it - I have read the book, and watched the video, but...the video is just so boring to watch - I'm a watch, try, watch then try type...

I took a really short one that was part of a clinic. It seems like really good stuff. That is great that you are getting that individual attention.

Yesterday, I just signed up for the Jersey Shore Tri Club open swim sessions in the bay in May.  I'm hoping that will help with my swim in the ocean - I love to swim in the ocean, but have never really tried to 'competitively' swim there, so there is a real difference.

This year, so far, I have signed up for "Born to Tri" in Asbury Park, NJ on 8/7 (sprint), NJ State Tri (Sprint Distance) 7/25, and a 1/2 marathon (Disneyland) 9/5.  I need to find myself a 10k to get an "official time" to disney for the 1/2 and I would really like to do an Olympic tri toward the end of the season, but am a bit panicky about the increase in swim distance.

Fantastic! Way to take the plunge!

At our Y we have childcare, but my little one almost always without fail gets sick after going there.  The older one can go to the XRcade when I go.  Sometimes I leave the little one with the babysitter in order to workout, but it costs extra $$$.

Hmmm, that stinks. Well, eventually the little one will build up some immunity, right? Mine are in preschool now and have had pretty much all the germs. Kids who are too clean and not exposed to germs develop allergies!! Wink 

I can't remember who it is that doesn't have a bike, but...I didn't have a bike last year, either, and borrowed my aunt's Eddie Fischer mountain bike.  I didn't know the difference until race day when people were passing me like I was going backwards with what appeared to be no effort and it was quite maddening.  However, I'm glad that I tried the bike out instead of buying one first - I wasn't too sure I would like the triathlon.   I bought a great bike at the end of the season and I love it!

Would it be better to PM you these types of posts, or put up on the forum?

I think it's great to post here because then everyone can learn from each other. If there's something you don't want to share publicly, go ahead and PM me. But there is no question too silly, and someone else may be afraid to ask it.

2010-01-02 7:57 PM
in reply to: #2589269

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
kka - 2010-01-02 1:26 PM Alice:Thanks for taking this on. I took your advice and also signed up for the St. George Sprint Tri in May. I saw that someone else in our group did as well. I do belong to a fitness club and again, in keeping with your advice took my 12 yr old daughter with me today. She does not like to exercise but knowing I am doing this she came along. It was great. Again, thanks for the advice and for taking time to do this. Kevin

Awesome Kevin! That is great!
What did your daughter do while you were there? You are setting a great example for her. Maybe she will find something she really likes, like weight machines or something, and will end up going her own way at the gym and having a good time!
Congrats on signing up for a race!
2010-01-02 7:59 PM
in reply to: #2589853

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
demireba - 2010-01-02 8:05 PM Thanks Alice this is very helpful. Funny you should bring up the wife... she is actually entertaining doing this with me. Certainly not  a done deal yet, but just the mention of it is a great step forward!

I have my workouts picked out and will be in the pool as well as running and biking (indoors for now) starting Monday.

In the market for a used road bike now. I am going with a road bike vs. a tri bike because of dual use. Does that sound like a good idea? I am looking to spend about $700-1000 bucks.

BTW, I think it is truly awesome that you and the other mentors are so giving of your time. Speaks a great deal about the kind of folks you all are. Thanks so much!

Bob

A road bike is a great decision. You can throw some aero bars on it and be quote happy for a long time. I didn't get a tri bike until 10 years into this sport. (Now that I have it, I wish I had done it sooner, though!)
That's great about your wife, and sounds like you have a wonderful plan for working out.

Thanks for the compliment! I've found almost everyone on BT is really great and helpful.
2010-01-03 3:59 AM
in reply to: #2589930

Katy
Alice,

The one tri that I did last Oct. I had only been on my bike 1 time for about 1 mile! Oops!  About 1 mile in the seat dropped, I had no idea about how to change gears or when I needed to and found out the hard way that I could not reach my water bottle while riding!  I thought I was going to die, but I finished the 10 miles and swore I would never have these problems again.  I am taking my mountain bike to the shop and getting road tires, a better seat and those aero bars with the water bottle on the front with the straw thing!  I figure this will be a lot cheaper than buying a new bike.  My husband has promised me that if I do all I want this year, he will get me a "real" bike for Christmas!

I can't commute to work because my drive is on 2 lane roads with no lights or sidewalks with 12 ft deep ditches on each side. (there are way too many of those little white crosses along it already and it's only 5 miles from my house).  But I am planning on my long ride each week being outside during daylight hours.  There are all kinds of bike people and tri people that drive out to my area to have long rides and I've found lots of routes from 10 miles to 56 miles that go right past my house within 1 mile of starting.  One quarter mile west of my house (as the birds fly) is open country roads.  (I can hear cows and coyotes from my driveway!)

The bike is my weakest due to lack of practice, so that will be my main focus.  Also I have issues with running. (broken leg and knee few years ago, so I get knee and hip pains if I do too much bouncing; but I can walk at a 12.5 to 13 min mile)

Thanks for your help!
Catherine
2010-01-03 5:23 AM
in reply to: #2587871

New user

ahohl - 2010-01-01 7:07 PM

Hi Pat/Avoneer!
Your bike commuting is really terrific. That shows a lot of commitment, and cycling is the biggest piece of the triathlon, so knowing you have that training in the bag all the time is really a head start. How long is your commute?
Weightlifting is great in the winter, but I usually back off to either one session a week or none at all, once the weather gets nice. It allows me more time to focus on the swim, bike and run.

One hour a day should be plenty. I'm training for an Ironman on that schedule, at least until spring.

Do you belong to a fitness club that has a child care center? Or does your pool have childcare or swimming lessons that don't require the parent to attend? If you can train while your kids are at the fitness center or in a class, it might take some of the stress off your spouse, so they are not always "stuck with the kids at home" while you are working out. Instead, your wife could have some quiet time to relax or get things done without being dragged around to tea parties and diaper changes.

This would also force you to adopt a more strict schedule that might help you stick to your goals for the running and swimming sessions during the week.

Hi Alice,

Congrats on your run - inspiring to all of us.

My commute is 12 miles each way on a Monday and Friday and 3 miles each way the middle of the week. Living in Yorkshire, I have some big hills to content with every time so that can only be good right - even though they still kill me some times.

I used to use a mountain bike with slick tyres (which is the closest thing to a road bike if you are on a budget) but recently got a road bike (partly government funded) via my employment.

The diference is huge, but you have to work hard on a road bike.

My best time for the 12 miles is 33 minutes, but it was hard work!

I have a home gym at my fathers house and there is a local lake where I run around and hope to swim there in spring - there is a Triathlon club that use it so I might have to join them, although I really want to see how the running goes before I fully commit myself.

I never though of giving the wife a break like that so point taken - I was thinking of starting to take our 4 year old  swimming on a weekend and teaching her to swim - I think you've kicked me into that now and I'll have to try and find something I can do with both of them.

In fact, I've just been volunteered to take them both out sledging shortly - perhaps I can run dragging both sleds?

I have a good 12 week running plan which I will start on Monday (just need to finish all the excess Christmas beer and food left over 1st) and will try and do less weights and more swimming.

Hats off to Cat Roberts - I though I had a busy schedule.........

Pat...

2010-01-03 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2587861

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Hi Alice!

Congrats on the NYE race, I can imagine it was exciting to stay with that 8 minute mile pace balloon - I tend to fall in the 9:15-9:30 pace in races, I ran two 5ks this past fall and a 5 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning and in the last two races vascilated between the 9:15 and 9:30 mile range. I hope to get down to an 8:00 minute mile - it will come.

As far as the training goes, I am very fortunate because I work from home so I have some degree of flexibility - or rather, I just take the 45 minutes from my work day to run and count it as my "lunch" hour and can get away with it since I don't have to worry about going back to work and looking presentable. I find that the hardest thing to fit in in the swimming and biking mostly because I have to actually go to the Y and leave the house and it takes a certain amount of time. My husband works the 2p-Midnight shift normally so I am only able to go when he is not working (The Y does have free childcare but because I only have an individual membership at this point and not a family membership - I don't think I can use that). I can go early in the mornings (if I can drag myself out of bed) so I may consider that. I am participating in a Splash N Dash a week from today (1000 yrd swim and 5K run) and I know Miami University has a Sprint Tri in April which may be the Tri I choose to take the plunge with. Thanks for the suggestion about borrowing a bike - I'll be sure to look into that.

Talk to you soon Alice and thanks.
DJ

2010-01-03 7:25 PM
in reply to: #2590281

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
catroberts - 2010-01-03 4:59 AM Alice,

The one tri that I did last Oct. I had only been on my bike 1 time for about 1 mile! Oops!  About 1 mile in the seat dropped, I had no idea about how to change gears or when I needed to and found out the hard way that I could not reach my water bottle while riding!  I thought I was going to die, but I finished the 10 miles and swore I would never have these problems again.  I am taking my mountain bike to the shop and getting road tires, a better seat and those aero bars with the water bottle on the front with the straw thing!  I figure this will be a lot cheaper than buying a new bike.  My husband has promised me that if I do all I want this year, he will get me a "real" bike for Christmas!

I can't commute to work because my drive is on 2 lane roads with no lights or sidewalks with 12 ft deep ditches on each side. (there are way too many of those little white crosses along it already and it's only 5 miles from my house).  But I am planning on my long ride each week being outside during daylight hours.  There are all kinds of bike people and tri people that drive out to my area to have long rides and I've found lots of routes from 10 miles to 56 miles that go right past my house within 1 mile of starting.  One quarter mile west of my house (as the birds fly) is open country roads.  (I can hear cows and coyotes from my driveway!)

The bike is my weakest due to lack of practice, so that will be my main focus.  Also I have issues with running. (broken leg and knee few years ago, so I get knee and hip pains if I do too much bouncing; but I can walk at a 12.5 to 13 min mile)

Thanks for your help!
Catherine

I had that same experience with the seat dropping on my first tri! How funny! That's great that you have wonderful routes all around you. When you get the work done to your bike, ask the mechanic to show you a few things, like how to adjust the seat and how to change a flat.  Also, it would probably be money better spent on a mountain bike to get clip-in pedals, versus aero bars. On the other hand, when you get your real bike at Christmas, you can take the aero bars off your mountain bike and put them on your road bike.

Also, check out a book called Chi Running at the library. It talks A LOT about pain-free running and how you can work on your posture and stride to minimize bouncing and get faster.
2010-01-03 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2590290

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Avoneer - 2010-01-03 6:23 AM

My commute is 12 miles each way on a Monday and Friday and 3 miles each way the middle of the week. Living in Yorkshire, I have some big hills to content with every time so that can only be good right - even though they still kill me some times.

I used to use a mountain bike with slick tyres (which is the closest thing to a road bike if you are on a budget) but recently got a road bike (partly government funded) via my employment.

The diference is huge, but you have to work hard on a road bike.

My best time for the 12 miles is 33 minutes, but it was hard work!

That's a fast commute time! All that time on the bike will DEFINITELY pay off. I also like keeping track of my all-time fastest commute. Mine is much slower than yours. You are either a speed demon or you have no traffic lights, LOL!
2010-01-03 7:34 PM
in reply to: #2590481

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
ddiamond - 2010-01-03 10:30 AM Hi Alice!

Congrats on the NYE race, I can imagine it was exciting to stay with that 8 minute mile pace balloon - I tend to fall in the 9:15-9:30 pace in races, I ran two 5ks this past fall and a 5 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning and in the last two races vascilated between the 9:15 and 9:30 mile range. I hope to get down to an 8:00 minute mile - it will come.

As far as the training goes, I am very fortunate because I work from home so I have some degree of flexibility - or rather, I just take the 45 minutes from my work day to run and count it as my "lunch" hour and can get away with it since I don't have to worry about going back to work and looking presentable. I find that the hardest thing to fit in in the swimming and biking mostly because I have to actually go to the Y and leave the house and it takes a certain amount of time. My husband works the 2p-Midnight shift normally so I am only able to go when he is not working (The Y does have free childcare but because I only have an individual membership at this point and not a family membership - I don't think I can use that). I can go early in the mornings (if I can drag myself out of bed) so I may consider that. I am participating in a Splash N Dash a week from today (1000 yrd swim and 5K run) and I know Miami University has a Sprint Tri in April which may be the Tri I choose to take the plunge with. Thanks for the suggestion about borrowing a bike - I'll be sure to look into that.

Talk to you soon Alice and thanks.
DJ

That is nice to have that flexibility.
The swim will never get easier to fit in. It just stinks. I have found swimming with the team is the only way to get myself to put in the true amount of time I need in the pool. Too bad I can't afford to do it forever.
The family membership at the Y may be in your future, since they have a lot of great activities, even for little ones, like parent-child swim class and such. My husband and I have found it to be invaluable. He has at least one kid in the childwatch and one in Y preschool every day of the week while he works out!
The Miami Tri is great. My husband does that one every year. It's his "Guy Weekend" and he does the tri with a buddy and then drinks after and comes home the next day.

One way to fit the bike training into your schedule would be to invest in a bike trainer. You can use it with any bike, and it will last a long time, so it's a good investment. This will allow you to ride indoors with the real bike you are going to race on. It also is pretty small and can stow away in a corner somewhere. There are probably some used ones for sale on BT in the Classifieds forum.
2010-01-03 7:36 PM
in reply to: #2583522

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED
Tip for the day:
(Mechanical)
Not only should you always carry a spare tube on your bike (even if you don't know how to change it, a nice person can't help you if you don't have a tube) you should place the tube INSIDE a sandwich bag or other protective bag or piece of plastic. This will prevent your tube from getting a hole in it while rubbing up against your bike tools or your cell phone or whatever else is in the little bag under your saddle.
2010-01-04 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Tip of the day (1/4/09)

SWIMMING

If you are trying to learn how to breathe bilaterally (on both sides) or you know how, but tend to fall into breathing on one side anyway, try this:
Right, (stroke) Right, (stroke, stroke) Left, (stroke) Left, (stroke, stroke) Right, (stroke) Right, (stroke, stroke) Left, (stroke) Left.

This pattern allows you to get two quick breaths in a row, followed by an extra stroke in there, and then two quick breaths again. It is bilateral breathing, but you get almost as much air as you would if you were breathing everytime on the right side.

2010-01-04 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2591365

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
So this may be a dumb question but I am assuming that a bike trainer is just the gadget that allows you to convert your regular bike to a stationary bike?

I do forsee us moving to a family membership at the Y eventually but money is a little tight right now so it is just me - it seems that I am able to get there typically 3-4 days a week so that's not too bad. I actually enjoy the swimming - I grew up in San Diego so the water feels like home so even though it is hard for me to get there I try to make it a priority.

Your husband's "guys" weekend sounds like fun, I hope that you, in return, get to have a "gals" weekend too
2010-01-04 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2592633

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
ddiamond - 2010-01-04 1:01 PM So this may be a dumb question but I am assuming that a bike trainer is just the gadget that allows you to convert your regular bike to a stationary bike?

I do forsee us moving to a family membership at the Y eventually but money is a little tight right now so it is just me - it seems that I am able to get there typically 3-4 days a week so that's not too bad. I actually enjoy the swimming - I grew up in San Diego so the water feels like home so even though it is hard for me to get there I try to make it a priority.

Your husband's "guys" weekend sounds like fun, I hope that you, in return, get to have a "gals" weekend too

Yeah, a bike trainer consists of two parts: A simple plastic block with a ridge in it to stabilize your front wheel (You can actually do without the front block if you can't afford it. You can use a phone book with a rubber dish drying mat on top or something) and a more complicated (but small) contraption that the back wheel fits into.  It elevates the back wheel off the ground, and puts some resistance against the tire, similar to what you would experience on the road.
There are three kinds: Wind, magnetic and fluid. Wind is the loudest. Magnetic is the middle. Fluid is very quiet but more expensive.

Here's a picture of a bike on a trainer: Picture Here

It allows you to use your own bike, which is better for your training.

Yes, there is a girls weekend for sure! It is actually longer than the guys weekend. And there is no racing. Only chocolate and booze and a hot tub. LOL!

You should ask at the Y if there are any discounts available. Most Ys offer scholarships, or discounts if you teach a class. Ours offers a discount if you work for a United Way agency, which I do. So I get half off, which is HUGE because that's one of our largest expenses, after the house payment.
2010-01-05 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Tip of the day for 1/5/2009:
NUTRITION

Make a list of breakfasts and lunches, or just lunches, for a week or two.
Do all the food prep on Sunday night so it's easy to grab what you need before work.
This will help you eat healthy at work, and will make it easier to sneak in workouts before work, on lunch, or after work, because you won't have to worry about stopping for something to eat.
2010-01-06 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Tip of the day (Jan. 6, 2010)
ORGANIZATION

Pick up a small duffel bag at a thrift store for a couple dollars.
Put an extra pair of shorts and shirt, running shoes and socks in there, and an extra swimsuit, goggles and cap if you have them. Also throw in a sample bottle of shampoo or whatever you have around the house.
Keep this bag either in your car or at your office. Now if you have an unexpected hour (office closes early due to power outage; your child's classmate asks Johnny over for a sleepover, your lunch meeting falls through) you can head to the gym without any excuses about not having the gear you need.
2010-01-06 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Great article on how to customize a free or generic training plan to fit your needs:http://www.usatriathlon.org/pages/8086

2010-01-06 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2587901

User image

Regular
Hi Alice,Early morning workouts are the best for me with my schedule. On Mondays and Friday mornings there's a gym near my job and I'll be going to a boot-camp-like cross training for an hour. On Tuesday and Thursday mornings I will hit the pool and run. Biking is the challenge. I read in one of your replies in your blog about the bike trainer. I have to get one of those. My husband will take me out on Saturday mornings for a bike ride and I'll have to find a place for at least one more bike session. My biggest challenges are the swim and bike portion: I'm not a good swimmer and scared of falling off the bike :-) I had my first session in the pool this week and was very winded after 20 minutes, but I will persevere!
2010-01-07 4:15 PM

Katy
Well, I have finally had time to get back in the swing of things.  I've come to realize that if I take it slow and build up to longer times and distances, I'm more willing to stick with it.  I'm on of those that jumps in with both feet screaming and fades out after a month or two.  I want this to be a lifestyle change, where I can't imagine a day without a workout!  So as the saying goes "slow and steady wins the race", slow and steady will make this a life habit for me!!!Laughing

Edited by catroberts 2010-01-07 4:16 PM
2010-01-07 5:16 PM
in reply to: #2601262

New user

Wow Katy, how timely of you to post this... I share your sentiments. I too am an all or nothing kind of person. So far it has been nothing! I already belong to a gym that has a pool and everything else I need to get started yet I am putting it off.

Just thought I would throw that out there so my fellow Family-Tri-Blance groupies would give me a swift kick in the butt to get me going.

BK

Edited by demireba 2010-01-07 5:18 PM
2010-01-07 6:21 PM

New user
Kick Wink
2010-01-07 6:30 PM

New user

Not sure if I'm supposed to post tips etc. (don't want to stand on Alice's toes) but I didn't really like the sound of a lot of the swimming plans I found on line with lots of 4x100 etc, especially as I haven't swam for a number of years.

I only managed 30 minutes the 1st time I got back in the pool and couldn't do 1 length of crawl - hence not liking any of the plans.

Then I found one that has been great so far and very tailored to beginners:

1 length breast stroke warm up.

Rest.

2 lengths breast stroke warm up.

Rest.

3 lengths breast stroke warm up.

Rest.

1 length no arms (with a float if required).

Rest.

1 length no legs (with a float if required).

Rest.

1 length crawl.

Rest.

2 lengths crawl.

Rest.

3 lengths crawl.

Rest.

4 lengths crawl.

Rest.

3 lengths crawl.

Rest.

2 lengths crawl,

Rest.

1 length crawl,

Rest.

3 lengths breast stroke cool down.

Rest.

2 lengths breast stroke cool down.

rest.

1 length breast stroke cool down.

Get out, go home, sleep.

Worked for me - now up to a mile every 1 hour session and 8 crawl in a row.

Pat...

2010-01-07 7:31 PM
in reply to: #2599215

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
dajotkjo - 2010-01-06 9:19 PM Hi Alice,Early morning workouts are the best for me with my schedule. On Mondays and Friday mornings there's a gym near my job and I'll be going to a boot-camp-like cross training for an hour. On Tuesday and Thursday mornings I will hit the pool and run. Biking is the challenge. I read in one of your replies in your blog about the bike trainer. I have to get one of those. My husband will take me out on Saturday mornings for a bike ride and I'll have to find a place for at least one more bike session. My biggest challenges are the swim and bike portion: I'm not a good swimmer and scared of falling off the bike :-) I had my first session in the pool this week and was very winded after 20 minutes, but I will persevere!

Awesome! I like early mornings, too, because there are fewer excuses and the kids are not awake and so they can't make me feel guilty about going to work out instead of playing with them.
Does you gym have a spin class? It's not a substitute for spending time on the bike you are going to do triathlon on, but once a week it's a good way to get in a bike workout.
Swimming and biking are definitely harder to fit in.
20 minutes is totally respectable for a first session! It will get easier in about 2 weeks if you keep going back!
2010-01-07 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2601262

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
catroberts - 2010-01-07 5:15 PM Well, I have finally had time to get back in the swing of things.  I've come to realize that if I take it slow and build up to longer times and distances, I'm more willing to stick with it.  I'm on of those that jumps in with both feet screaming and fades out after a month or two.  I want this to be a lifestyle change, where I can't imagine a day without a workout!  So as the saying goes "slow and steady wins the race", slow and steady will make this a life habit for me!!!Laughing

Go Catherine! You definitely have to start at a place where you feel successful. If you plan a workout you know is too hard, you are just defeating yourself.
It might help to set some intermediate goals to keep you going, like running or run/walking 1 mile every 2 weeks and keeping track of how long that takes. Every two weeks, do it again, and set a goal for a faster one.
2010-01-07 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2601406

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
demireba - 2010-01-07 6:16 PM Wow Katy, how timely of you to post this... I share your sentiments. I too am an all or nothing kind of person. So far it has been nothing! I already belong to a gym that has a pool and everything else I need to get started yet I am putting it off.

Just thought I would throw that out there so my fellow Family-Tri-Blance groupies would give me a swift kick in the butt to get me going.

BK

KICK!!!!!
There's a phrase on BeginnerTriathlete: HTFU - it means: "Harden the F&*% Up!"
2010-01-07 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2601531

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Avoneer - 2010-01-07 7:30 PM

Not sure if I'm supposed to post tips etc. (don't want to stand on Alice's toes) but I didn't really like the sound of a lot of the swimming plans I found on line with lots of 4x100 etc, especially as I haven't swam for a number of years.

I only managed 30 minutes the 1st time I got back in the pool and couldn't do 1 length of crawl - hence not liking any of the plans.

Awesome Pat! Definitely everyone on the group is welcome to post tips they feel will help others! This is definitely a community more than a shepherd with sheep or whatever other analogy there may be. We all need to help each other!
In fact, add the folks in this group as Friends on your Training Log page (bottom left - hit the plus sign) and send each other "Inspires" to push them along.

30 minutes is a great first workout! In fact, it's a great workout, period. The majority of my swims last year were 30 minutes, and I was in the general range of everyone else in my age group.

You will definitely want to work on the freestyle/crawl stroke, though. If you do breaststroke in a big group in a triathlon, you will probably end up kicking a bunch of people in the stomach, because when you are swimming freestyle in open water, you can see that the person in front of you is doing breaststroke. You head around the side of them to pass and WHAMMO - stomach punch with a foot. It stinks. So I recommend trying to master the regular stroke. Although breaststroke is great for seeing where you are going.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12